• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Feindflug

The symbol next to the beast symbol on its status screen, that symbol represents Kin right? It has a 100 number on it just like the beast symbol.

All the weapons have 100 points on both beast and kin icons and there's no indication for the serration/righteous bonuses in the weapon stats. For example Kirkhammer also has 100 beast/100 kin same as the Saw Cleaver even though SC does bonus dmg against beasts on it's first form while KH does righteous dmg on it's sword form.

Is it wrong that I pretty much dropped the LHB after I got the BoM and ended up getting into a decent groove with them? I'm pretty much full Skill weapons now with the pimp whip and BoM and everything has managed to drop with the usage of those two weapons. I still plan on upgrading the LHB but it's not a priority weapon anymore.

OMG, just got a chunk each time I farmed pwmf22gu. Edit: Yeah, works every time. Super easy now. edit 2: nope, lol, drop rate is not 100%.

3rd build is getting all the final touches. This might actually be my favorite, loving the Reiter.

gunbo13

Patch is ok but funny there are no changes to frenzy. 99 insight frenzy is silly. I don't think any of the changes will get me to dive back into the mess.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I could sense a boss fight coming but I told myself; "it can't be a boss; there's nowhere to put a fog gate". Oh well I guess that's where complacency gets you.

One thing I've learned about Souls games is that if you see a big, detailed dead body or skeleton somewhere, it's safe to assume two things:

- It's not dead.
- You will have to fight it eventually.

Donos

started defiled chalice two days ago... the real bloodborne starts here ;_; Dat keeper is haunting me. he's not really a hard boss and has limited reach and moveset but only one mistake is enough to die.

Artex

Banned
started defiled chalice two days ago... the real bloodborne starts here ;_; Dat keeper is haunting me. he's not really a hard boss and has limited reach and moveset but only one mistake is enough to die.

I finally started using Blue elixer here, it helped me stealthily enter some rooms with the switch where i could just be in and out like a ninja.

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
Finally beat the Watchdog in the defilement chalice...man, i lose count how many times i died to this MFer. I took his health down to half and then use the one hit back away strategy. took me more then 20 mins and he goes down. Feel so good.

gunbo13

And lowering your insight.

And yes, guess why there are runes for it? So you can use them on occasions. I don't find it dumb at all.
Would be fine if you could respec runes at lamps. Running back to hunter's dream twice to respec is a bother. Armor can at least be done in one shot. The mechanic isn't dumb, the scaling for 99 insight is just too much. It should be scaled down to something that keeps you on your toes but doesn't make you turtle. I have zero issues with max frenzy resistance on armor plus resistant runes, but it is a bother, especially in NG+#.

Would also be nice if sedatives gave frenzy reduction and were on a timer, as opposed to a potion like fix. Or maybe some rare hunter tool to counter, like a cloak ability. The mechanic had potential to be more fun.
Buy 3 bloodstone chunks.
Problem solved.
I liked to play with insight 99 at all times.

Feindflug

Would be fine if you could respec runes at lamps. Running back to hunter's dream twice to respec is a bother. Armor can at least be done in one shot. The mechanic isn't dumb, the scaling for 99 insight is just too much. It should be scaled down to something that keeps you on your toes but doesn't make you turtle. I have zero issues with max frenzy resistance on armor plus resistant runes, but it is a bother, especially in NG+#.

Would also be nice if sedatives gave frenzy reduction and were on a timer, as opposed to a potion like fix. Or maybe some rare hunter tool to counter, like a cloak ability. The mechanic had potential to be more fun.

I liked to play with insight 99 at all times.

There are two areas that frenzy can be deadly and if anything at NG+ and beyond it should be a smaller problem since you know when to put the right runes/attire to counter it.

If you want to argue about frenzy being underdeveloped I agree (and it's a whole different discussion) but I can't see how going to hunter's dream a few times to change runes is such a hassle.

Manning up means changing to frenzy resistant gear and runes. It's dumb.

Come on man, even without runes or Frenzy gear you can avoid it. It's not like you can't run to the spots where the
brain
can't see you and keep progressing. If the invaders annoy you, switch to offline mode.

Beast mode is so fucking insane. The damage is real.

Have you tried the Beast Claw? Is it good now?

gunbo13

If you want to argue about frenzy being underdeveloped I agree (and it's a whole different discussion) but I can't see how going to hunter's dream a few times to change runes is such a hassle.
It's not really about that, though I wouldn't say it's enjoyable to have to run back to hunter's dream. The main point is that frenzy scales too much with 99 insight. I understand the RPG aspect of countering environmental obstacles but consistent draining to losing 80% health is a bit much.

It's not a major gripe. The SP overall is well balanced and doesn't sink into no fun pits like other titles, Forbidden Woods though comes close. The major gripe I have is the depth wall I hit with manufactured challenges on NG+3. The combat system proves how clunky it is, the more you try to push it. Eventually, you only fight limitations. Though thinking it through, I'm not sure if the title would suffice as Bloodborne anymore if you added more choice and speed (a necessity) to the combat.

If only hunter tools were given vastly more attention. I feel they could have stretched BB's combat depth a long way. Also tweaks like lowering i-frames and speeding up side dodging. Enemy attack tracking should not dwarf your positioning like Abhorrent beast, a prime offender. Less end lag on almost everything along with adding y-axis attacks. It's a wishlist which would have me still playing and not running out of substance. Hopefully the DLC buffs up some stuff cause its turned stale bread.
Come on man, even without runes or Frenzy gear you can avoid it. It's not like you can't run to the spots where the
brain
can't see you and keep progressing.
You are being overly defensive. I have zero problems countering it and going about my business. It's actually a negligible effect if you are spec'd right. Which makes it a silly effect. Throwing on different armor and runes, then playing as normal is pointless. It's just a silly chore when playing NG+#.

gunbo13

Why if you don't mind me asking? Seems odd to be complaining about frenzy when you're crippling yourself like that.
Added difficulty. Though honestly since the game becomes a boss run after a few run-throughs, it is something I would change just spending it all.

Sorry, another hit-and-run post from me. V
icar
A
melia
and the W
itch
of E
astwick
down. :) The former was pretty epic so I made a vid if anyone is interested. I was in a good groove then D
arklight
P
aarl
totally crashed my party. :-( That fight is f**ked up. Walked in there with a bunch of souls too. It didn't really look right and I could sense a boss fight coming but I told myself; "it can't be a boss; there's nowhere to put a fog gate". Oh well I guess that's where complacency gets you. His time will come too. That was it for the weekend.

Happy hunting y'all!

If you manage to beat P
aarl
before reaching Old
Yharman
you can visit the hunter on the tower and he becomes friendly

Currently deciding on what to get next month and I was thinking of getting this game next month but have no PS+ for the online stuff. Should I wait until later in the year after I get PS+ or should I just power on offline and get it now? My internet isn't the best so it may not even work well with online.

Donos

Just had a typical Souls/From moment. Had Defiled Chalice Watchdog down to really 1 pixel of health and decided "well, i'll end it quick with a jump attack (ludwig)" > jump goes to short, Watchdog makes his attack where he bites often (with flames around mouth) and deals around 5 hits... dead.

I wasn't even mad, i just laughed out loud. Never, never never ever get cocky in these games. Every time you do, you die.

At least i like fighting him.

Currently deciding on what to get next month and I was thinking of getting this game next month but have no PS+ for the online stuff. Should I wait until later in the year after I get PS+ or should I just power on offline and get it now? My internet isn't the best so it may not even work well with online.
If you don't want to play with co-op or anything or explore other people's Chalice dungeons then you shouldn't have much of a problem with offline only. I don't exactly play online, but I've been having a constant blast with it since launch.

Feindflug

So have you guys checked co-op with different levels now with the new patch, is there any restriction to the co-operator with the higher level or you just join and destroy things? also any indication on how pvp matchmaking works when you have summoned a higher level player?

edit. found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnJY6dqvl6s

So i guess you just join and destroy stuff...this change really breaks the pve.

If you don't want to play with co-op or anything or explore other people's Chalice dungeons then you shouldn't have much of a problem with offline only. I don't exactly play online, but I've been having a constant blast with it since launch.
Okay thanks. Still unsure since theres alot I want and have very little money but I may go ahead with this game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Added difficulty. Though honestly since the game becomes a boss run after a few run-throughs, it is something I would change just spending it all.
So you run at 99 insight for the added difficulty, but are complaining about... the added difficulty.

Makes sense.

Just use a rune and sedatives, you big baby. :p I run at 99 insight all the time too, it's not an issue.

If you manage to beat P
aarl
before reaching Old
Yharman
you can visit the hunter on the tower and he becomes friendly
You don't even have to defeat it. You just have to engage it. You can either die or win and go up to the hunter from either
Paarl's or BSB's lamp
. I don't know if you can go to the hunter from the front, though.

gunbo13

So you run at 99 insight for the added difficulty, but are complaining about... the added difficulty.
I don't see how it is a reasonable added difficulty and I didn't say it was overly difficult. I would stack frenzy resistance armor and runes, barely affected me. Ran to mother
brain
and spit in its face(?).

I said that it was silly and I stick by that. It's just a nuisance to respec gear and pop items at times, just for some status effect that is OP if you don't. It just needs to be tuned better. I should have been able to use average frenzy resistant gear, no runes, and pop a few sedatives. That would encourage some sort of challenge, if you choose it. There isn't any other point in the game that forces all of these spec changes, so I don't see how this is a balanced and necessary mechanic.

Regardless, that's my opinion on the matter. I'm fizzled out on the title so will keep opinions closer to the chest.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
You don't even have to defeat it. You just have to engage it. You can either die or win and go up to the hunter from either
Paarl's or BSB's lamp
. I don't know if you can go to the hunter from the front, though.

But how would you access
the BSB
without going through
Paarl's
lamp? The only way I know of to get to
BSB
without going through
Paarl
would be through the main entrance to Old Yharnam, which would aggro the hunter right?

But how would you access
the BSB
without going through
Paarl's
BSB
without going through
Paarl
would be through the main entrance to Old Yharnam, which would aggro the hunter right?
You can aggro the hunter when he's on his turret. Just don't fight him. When you come back later, he will be chill if you approach from behind.

But how would you access
the BSB
without going through
Paarl's
BSB
without going through
Paarl
Well.
The way I did it, before beating Paarl, was beating BSB and unlocking its lamp. Then I went to Paarl to face him. I died. Then I went awoke at BSB's lamp, heading to that shortcut right by the ladder heading up to the hunter. Went up the ladder and talked to him.

Melchiah

- Saw Cleaver is your best option here. It's not only fast but the short version has +20% beast damage

As does the Threaded Cane's whip form. It works well against larger bosses with longer reach. I used the whip form against CB, BSB, VA, DBP, and BLB in the dungeons.

llaannccee

Had two intense boss battles in the
Defiled
Chalice. Down with
Watch Dog of the Old Lords and Amygdala
. Nearly gave up up on the chalice dungeons. But the feeling of killing an extremely difficult boss is so satisfying.

ok i need some friendly gaffers to help me with this game (i'll gladly try and help too of course), some bosses are just too much for me sometimes..
stuck on Vicar Amelia, Paarl and Pthumerian Descendant atm.

anyone? i'm level 50 and trying to stay there so i can help other random not-very-high-lvl players with bosses :)

FluxWaveZ

Finally at the end of my first playthrough, but I feel like I missed so much by not following guides too often. Before ending it, I've decided to actually look into what I was missing with runes, and I discovered that the area where the
Rune Workshop Tool
is located is apparently optional? Heh, ah well.

I am thinking about my next character as I'm starting to feel like my arcane character is complete (other than top level gems). I wonder if I should try making a character that tries to apply poison with weapons?

EDIT: This would probably be completely unusable in PvE though, it'd have to be a strictly PVP build, most likely.

I am thinking about my next character as I'm starting to feel like my arcane character is complete (other than top level gems). I wonder if I should try making a character that tries to apply poison with weapons?

EDIT: This would probably be completely unusable in PvE though, it'd have to be a strictly PVP build, most likely.
Wait so those poison percentage gems really don't have any effect on enemies?

Yep, pretty few enemies can be poisoned and probably three bosses

Wait so those poison percentage gems really don't have any effect on enemies?

I'm sure it affects enemies, but there are certain bosses that just don't want to be poisoned (as observed throwing poison knives).

EDIT: Apparently Rapid Poison is like bleeding from previous games, but I have no idea if that is viable at all.

EDIT 2: It's not.

I'm sure it affects enemies, but there are certain bosses that just don't want to be poisoned (as observed throwing poison knives).

EDIT: Apparently Rapid Poison is like bleeding from previous games, but I have no idea if that is viable at all.

EDIT 2: It's not.
And there I was yesterday feeling slightly sad about never really using those gems. Glad to know they're damn near useless since I only really use the ones that increase physical damage.

As an arcane character I end up using gems you normally wouldn't use as a physical character like increased damage to beasts +12% or +24% to charged attacks because you only get one dedicated gem slot to boosting an arcane element and you have to get lucky with radial gems to get the same effects on the other two slots.

EDIT: OH. What if I tried gemming a Rifle Spear with poison gems? I wouldn't actually have to build a character around it, I can just make it and throw it out in PvP.

And there I was yesterday feeling slightly sad about never really using those gems. Glad to know they're damn near useless since I only really use the ones that increase physical damage.

It works better for PVP instead of PVE.

Only played DaS1 for about 6 hours, never played the other Souls games yet I got this. Should I start offline or online?

online is better for random suggestions on the floor and see how people died on the bloodstains.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I haven't actually replayed since the first patch (or well the one that reduced the loading times), but did they ever fix the bloodstains almost never working? Seems like I saw the death animation like 1 out of 5 times only, if that.

Top Bottom