• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

I haven't actually replayed since the first patch (or well the one that reduced the loading times), but did they ever fix the bloodstains almost never working? Seems like I saw the death animation like 1 out of 5 times only, if that.

Weirdly enough Bloodborne is the only game for me where the blood stains actually give a good idea how they died.

FluxWaveZ

Weirdly enough Bloodborne is the only game for me where the blood stains actually give a good idea how they died.

The stains work fine now, but Bloodborne doesn't really do that for me as it did in the other games. It's always amusing seeing other players eat it, but the environment itself was more of a hazard in previous Souls games, so those stains specifically gave me an idea of what I should be avoiding. This time, it's mainly enemy kills, and that doesn't tell me much.

I never really found the blood stain animations that useful anyway (usually just seeing a lot in an area was usually an indication of danger), I just like that they have better clarity.

On a similar note, it seemed like ghost phantoms are better than Dark Souls as well. They usually last longer so you can see what people are doing. I even saw two ghost phantoms engaged in a duel once.

Did i miss a weapon or smething, been stuck on the first enemy for 10 minutes

okay what's the difference between the bumper and trigger buttons and how can i avoid quickstepping straight in to the guy

Did i miss a weapon or smething, been stuck on the first enemy for 10 minutes

okay what's the difference between the bumper and trigger buttons and how can i avoid quickstepping straight in to the guy

By not pressing the left analog stick into his direction when quickstepping.

R1 is the basic attack, R2 the stronger attack.

Have you been to the Hunter's Dream yet? That's where you get your first weapon. Either die or reach the first messenger lamp.

By not pressing the left analog stick into his direction when quickstepping.

R1 is the basic attack, R2 the stronger attack.

Have you been to the Hunter's Dream yet? That's where you get your first weapon. Either die or reach the first messenger lamp.

ah I got the pistol, and equipped it but even when I press L1 and L2 it doesn't show up?

Yeah I forgot the d-pad and completely missed the melee weapon

oops

how do I use items that aren't blood vials again?
Press Options and press X on the boxes in the bottom row. Equip the items in that row and press down on the D-pad to cycle through those items. Then press Square to use.

Pressing Up on the d-pad gives you 5 extra blood bullets, but at the expense of HP.

Bebpo

Banned
Did not like the forbidden woods. Got so lost and no lamps anywhere just shortcuts shortcuts shortcuts. Yeah I respect how well layered it is to be able to shortcut the whole thing but I like my lamps :X

Shadows of Yharnham was sort of annoying but abused fire paper non-stop and got it on my 2nd try.

forbidden grave is like 30 seconds long? What was even the point of that and having two lamps so close together?

When do I start getting bloodstone chunks? My Cleaver+6 is feeling less strong by the area.

Did not like the forbidden woods. Got so lost and no lamps anywhere just shortcuts shortcuts shortcuts. Yeah I respect how well layered it is to be able to shortcut the whole thing but I like my lamps :X

Shadows of Yharnham was sort of annoying but abused fire paper non-stop and got it on my 2nd try.

forbidden grave is like 30 seconds long? What was even the point of that and having two lamps so close together?

When do I start getting bloodstone chunks? My Cleaver+6 is feeling less strong by the area.
Forbidden Grave is just the name of the second lamp of Forbidden Woods, like Cathedral Ward's is Cathedral Ward(Oedon Chapel) and Grand Cathedral
(Vicar Amelia's arena)
. The lamp after Forbidden Grave is the next story area,
Byrgenswerth(sp?)

ctfg23

You should start getting them in the non-optional areas after killing the next boss.

If you've already unlocked it, you could also get some at (potential location spoiler)
Cainhurst Castle

aight so how do I know when to use transformation attacks or not? should I be switching mid-fight? Also what are some ways to dodge sniper bullets or should I just prioritize taking those guys out first?

Bebpo

Banned
You should start getting them in the non-optional areas after killing the next boss.

If you've already unlocked it, you could also get some at (potential location spoiler)
Cainhurst Castle

Gotcha, cool.

Should I do Cainhurst now and more endgame with a stronger character. I can't get too far in the Unseen village even with my character, everything feels super strong.

aight so how do I know when to use transformation attacks or not? should I be switching mid-fight? Also what are some ways to dodge sniper bullets or should I just prioritize taking those guys out first?

Whether you use transformation attacks depends on the weapon. On some weapons they're invaluable parts of combos (like Saw Cleaver/Spear) while on some weapons they're too slow to be any more than a novelty.

You can roll or quick step through bullets if you time it right.

Is it easier to start fresh or go through NG+? Enemies are much stronger than I was anticipating.
I went to NG+ my first time because I didn't want to finish Chalice Dungeons before the main game. Spoilers:
Playing NG+ also one of the few ways to get any gameplay out of the Burial Blade other than finding one in a Chalice Dungeon glyph early on. Just be sure you have enough to +9 it.

Should I do Cainhurst now and more endgame with a stronger character. I can't get too far in the Unseen village even with my character, everything feels super strong.
Cainhurst is doable. You can get some useful stuff there as well.

ctfg23

Gotcha, cool.

Besides the boss, Cainhurst isn't too bad. You can go through the level to get chunks for your weapon and then come back for the boss later if you're having trouble.

For Unseen Village, I found it easier to sprint past most of the enemies to find lanterns/shortcuts, and the boss there is pretty easy.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Just press L1 after a normal attack.

You can continually just press L1 to do a consecutive transformation attack (though the 1st attack has to be a normal attack). You practically have to do this to build your beasthood gauge in a much faster way if you are using Beast Pellets.

NEO0MJ

I went to NG+ my first time because I didn't want to finish Chalice Dungeons before the main game. Spoilers:
Playing NG+ also one of the few ways to get any gameplay out of the Burial Blade other than finding one in a Chalice Dungeon glyph early on. Just be sure you have enough to +9 it.

So I should start fresh?

So I should start fresh?

I dunno. Depends on if you want to complete the chalice dungeons or not or want to play NG+, I'm just saying there's merit into going ahead and going into NG+ because the later Chalice Depths can make your character too OP for NG lategame.

Feindflug

Anyone else having problems with matchmaking after the latest patch? tried invading yesterday for the first time after the patch and finding other players took much longer than before. Network set in worldwide and with Nat 2 as always even in the Nightmare areas and Unseen Village where I could invade pretty consistently things yesterday were really slow. :(

NEO0MJ

I dunno. Depends on if you want to complete the chalice dungeons or not or want to play NG+, I'm just saying there's merit into going ahead and going into NG+ because the later Chalice Depths can make your character too OP for NG lategame.

I just want to rush it. Don't think I'll tackle the dungeons.

Whether you use transformation attacks depends on the weapon. On some weapons they're invaluable parts of combos (like Saw Cleaver/Spear) while on some weapons they're too slow to be any more than a novelty.

You can roll or quick step through bullets if you time it right.

Cainhurst is doable. You can get some useful stuff there as well.

Just press L1 after a normal attack.

You can continually just press L1 to do a consecutive transformation attack (though the 1st attack has to be a normal attack). You practically have to do this to build your beasthood gauge in a much faster way if you are using Beast Pellets.
Aight thanks I'll hopefully get the hang of it eventually. Also I chose the pistol over the blunder buss which might have been a bad idea since it doesn't seem to do much damage outside of combos and it doesn't stun them really? I thought the entire point was to have a quick stun? Also any chance I can defeat the giant axe dude soon or will I have to progress further to take him down?

Also will I figure out how to spend blood echoes on skills soon? Also I swear sometimes when I went to a place where I died they weren't on the floor?

Stupid question perhaps but is there a way to get some of the later game weapons earlier in this game? I'd really like to progressively play through the entire game with the Blades of Mercy and the Chikage but you get them very late in the game so you can level them up almost immediately to +6 or +7.

I'd really love to do the game from start to finish with these weapons but as I as it is I can only do this in NG+ right?

You can get BoM right away
by killing Eileen
. Earliest you can get Chikage
kill cleric beast, use 10k key, kill vicar amelia and then get Cainhurst summons and so on

Aight thanks I'll hopefully get the hang of it eventually. Also I chose the pistol over the blunder buss which might have been a bad idea since it doesn't seem to do much damage outside of combos and it doesn't stun them really? I thought the entire point was to have a quick stun? Also any chance I can defeat the giant axe dude soon or will I have to progress further to take him down?

Also will I figure out how to spend blood echoes on skills soon? Also I swear sometimes when I went to a place where I died they weren't on the floor?
The main idea of most firearms unless your bloodtinge is high as hell and upgraded a lot is to either stun/interrupt an attack or to initiate a parry. You could probably defeat him if you parry a lot but they are a bit difficult early on so I'd avoid them, they don't drop much of any value outside of blood vials any way. Regarding leveling up, what weapon are you using and what is your intended focus? Is it skill or strength based because that sort of determines what you put your points into because weapons scale to different stats. I've been pretty skill focused so it's my highest stat, but putting points into vit and endurance won't hurt early on either until you figure that out.
If you are going for a dedicated BoM playthrough, then it is how it has to be.
I can't imagine fighting Eileen that early on since she's pretty tough. Do people fight her before Gascoigne?

Donos

Stupid question perhaps but is there a way to get some of the later game weapons earlier in this game? I'd really like to progressively play through the entire game with the Blades of Mercy and the Chikage but you get them very late in the game so you can level them up almost immediately to +6 or +7.

I'd really love to do the game from start to finish with these weapons but as I as it is I can only do this in NG+ right?

You would need the materials to bring them up to +7 early and you find most chunks rather mid/late game. You can get all weapons in chalices earlier than in the story.

Good luck going after Eileen early :p . You'll get a good spank.

If you are willing to wait a bit
letting Henryk weaken/kill her
is also an option, but it's not the earliest possible you can get the weapon.

You can get BoM right away
by killing Eileen
. Earliest you can get Chikage
kill cleric beast, use 10k key, kill vicar amelia and then get Cainhurst summons and so on
Yeah, I know that. But it's not what I meant. I wish FromSoft would add an option to choose between all the weapons right at the beginning when you enter the hunters dream the first time. :(

Just started Bloodborne and the only thing I'm having a real issue with so far is never being too sure where I should be going. I know the game isn't linear but I hate idea of possibly wandering into an area I'm not prepared for, but that's just my personal taste. Enjoying it otherwise.

The main idea of most firearms unless your bloodtinge is high as hell and upgraded a lot is to either stun/interrupt an attack or to initiate a parry. You could probably defeat him if you parry a lot but they are a bit difficult early on so I'd avoid them, they don't drop much of any value outside of blood vials any way. Regarding leveling up, what weapon are you using and what is your intended focus? Is it skill or strength based because that sort of determines what you put your points into because weapons scale to different stats. I've been pretty skill focused so it's my highest stat, but putting points into vit and endurance won't hurt early on either until you figure that out.

I can't imagine fighting Eileen that early on since she's pretty tough. Do people fight her before Gascoigne?
I'm guessing skill is more movement and quickness based? Do you have a rundown of what each skill does? Are there any useless ones?

Is it easier to start fresh or go through NG+? Enemies are much stronger than I was anticipating.

Starting fresh is much more fun as you also get to try a different build. NG+ is a bit pointless in this game.

Also don't kill Eileen. You miss out on so much.

Donos

I had to call someone in to beat
Martyr Logarius

Using the bell feels like cheating.

Was close of doing it, Marty gave me hell. After i beat him alone i instantly helped other people beat him.

Top 3 of mofos who troubled me most so far:

1. Defiled chalice Keeper
of the old lords (was more due to health than his moves - finally beat him with 8 consecutive viscerals, spamming pistol.)
Abhorrent
"Mini Manus"
Beast
3. Marty (screamed and fistpumped when i finally made it, without one parry/visceral)

NEO0MJ

I had to call someone in to beat
Martyr Logarius

Using the bell feels like cheating.

He can be pretty mean. I felt he was one of the more DaS-like bosses, though maybe that was just the design that invoked that feeling.

Starting fresh is much more fun as you also get to try a different build. NG+ is a bit pointless in this game.

I was considering doing a bloodtinge build. What are some good weapons for that?

Kaydan

Banned
So I finally bought the game yesterday, need some guidance. In central Yharnam, once I get past the campfire, the big guy and the dog patrol. I have a choice of either going to the right on a bridge after climbing the stairs (where I am greeted by two big wolves), or I can climb down a ladder into sewers. Which way should I take first?

NEO0MJ

So I finally bought the game yesterday, need some guidance. In central Yharnam, once I get past the campfire, the big guy and the dog patrol. I have a choice of either going to the right on a bridge after climbing the stairs (where I am greeted by two big wolves), or I can climb down a ladder into sewers. Which way should I take first?

Either. The sewers take you to the main boss while going past the two wolves take you to an optional one.

He can be pretty mean. I felt he was one of the more DaS-like bosses, though maybe that was just the design that invoked that feeling.

I was considering doing a bloodtinge build. What are some good weapons for that?

Bloodtinge is strong but very limited. It's only good for guns and the Chikage. Try it out first, it is good but a bit boring to use. If you are making a Chikage build, I recommend to put 25 in Skill as well, unless you are going for pure Bloodtinge.

edit: Reiterpallasch and Rifle Spear benefit from Bloodtinge, but only when you shoot with them.

NEO0MJ

Bloodtinge is strong but very limited. It's only good for guns and the Chikage. Try it out first, it is good but a bit boring to use. If you are making a Chikage build, I recommend to put 25 in Skill as well, unless you are going for pure Bloodtinge.

edit: Reiterpallasch and Rifle Spear benefit from Bloodtinge, but only when you shoot with them.

You only get the Chikage late-game, though. Any good Arcane/Skill weapons?

You only get the Chikage late-game, though. Any good Arcane/Skill weapons?

You mean a combo of Arcane and Skill? BoM and Burial blade have some very basic arcane scaling but are mainly Skill weapons. But you can make any weapon work with Arcane if you have the right gems and build. But maybe some Arcane users here can give more insight into that.

There are 4 excellent skill weapons in this game (+Reiter and Cane) and skill also gives insane visceral damage. IMO it is the best class in the game.

Ugh Blunderbuss would have been more suited to my playstyle, when can I get it again? Also should I be dumping any points in to arcane? Finally should I choose a balance of skill and strength or pick one and stick to it?

NEO0MJ

You mean a combo of Arcane and Skill?

I meant skill or arcane.

Ugh Blunderbuss would have been more suited to my playstyle, when can I get it again? Also should I be dumping any points in to arcane? Finally should I choose a balance of skill and strength or pick one and stick to it?

Where are you? The item you need to buy them is pretty early game. You can get it by
going down the stairs near the first main boss, left of the guys standing near the flaming boulder. After going down head into the sewer, kill the pig and get the workshop medal nearby. It lets you buy any of the starter weapons.

Top Bottom