• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Still can't beat
Paarl
. I'm completely at my wit's end. Barely take any health off before dying. Didn't even have this much trouble with Ornstein and Smough. I'm not gonna summon because that's lame but man, this is driving me crazy. How am I supposed to hit his legs when I can't lock onto them? He moves too quick just to slash randomly.
Run under him.

I might not have a proper skill build for all I know, but I love running with the Threaded Cane and Blades of Mercy. So far my two favorite weapons of the game.

I meant skill or arcane.

Where are you? The item you need to buy them is pretty early game. You can get it by
going down the stairs near the first main boss, left of the guys standing near the flaming boulder. After going down head into the sewer, kill the pig and get the workshop medal nearby. It lets you buy any of the starter weapons.
what the shit how am i supposed to survive against him

or the first boss

i thought this was gonna be easier than dark souls :/

yeah just gotta find it first

those big dudes are wrecking my shit, the pistol seems like it only staggers 75% of the time
Dodging helps, get used to circle strafing if you have the room, side dash when they charge, get good with the parry timing as well, attacking from a distance helps. I started with the cane and that helps a lot with maintaining distance. Circle strafe, dodge, wait for it to attack, be outside of its attack range and whip it good. Lather, rinse and repeat.
what the shit how am i supposed to survive against him

or the first boss

i thought this was gonna be easier than dark souls :/
Lol, naw, who said that it was easier? It's just more streamlined. If you didn't fight Cleric Beast and you keep running up from the flaming boulder guy you have a HARDER boss to deal with. Go across the bridge with the two werewolves on it and kill CB first then grind a bit in Yarnham and then fight the second boss.

Yeah I killed the pig second attempt, just needed that initial dodge. Switched from the axe to the cane, gonna try and grind to get the blunderbuss as well. Just don't know if I should be pursuing a skill or strength based build at this point.

Wait, is
Paarl
not mandatory in the first half of the game? I've just done
Old Yahrnam and then got snatched

That boss is optional. you never have to fight him.

Everyone said this was easier than Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. This is just infuriating.

the only people saying that are those that have been running through all three prior games solo on NG++++, then complain that the new one is "too easy!"

Yeah I killed the pig second attempt, just needed that initial dodge. Switched from the axe to the cane, gonna try and grind to get the blunderbuss as well. Just don't know if I should be pursuing a skill or strength based build at this point.
Experiment for now, but this game does have some good skill based weapons and the cane is good. I'm still using that thing, it's +7 and I'm about level 74.

yeah the cane is definitely easier than the axe
Whip form is great for crowd control too, makes certain parts of the first level pretty easy since you can plan certain encounters around it, which teaches you how to handle groups later in the game too. If you want to roll with the cane then dump points into the skill stat. Ludwig's Holy Blade works off of skill and strength and I used that until I got the Blades of Mercy. The saw spear scales poorly so I didn't bother with it for too long. Blades of Mercy are great though once you get a better grasp of its move set.

Kanra

Oh wow, been helping people out in chalice dungeons and more than half the time I get summoned for defiled amygdala. Must have beat him at least ten times today. At least I got a bit of blood chunks and gems now.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
That's what I'm doing but the camera gets fucked.

You *don't lock on* against Paarl since the lock on will make you center at the... center of his body mass when all you want to do is whack at his legs.

He's hilariously easy once you do this, since a few good smack on the legs is enough to bring him down, where you can continue to smack him even more. Just keep go under him (no lock on), only get out during his AOE charge, and dive back in as soon as he's done with that.

Really, really, I mean seriously, *really* easy.

Oh, well good to know. Guess I'll soldier on then. Cheers.

If you can, try and beat him before you finish with (not really a spoiler but the name of a location)
Byrgenwyth
, since afterwards the route to his place is kind of long and annoying.

Can I invade an area where I've killed the boss?

I've done that a couple of times on Nightmare Frontier I think.

burgerdog

Man you whipped
Gherman's
ass lol nicely done!

Initially I felt like I wouldn't be able to kill the last boss. I got destroyed for a good hour and was starting to lose hope. Then, the beauty of these games kicked in, I made progress and got better and better. First time doing a no level up run in the soul/blood series and I see myself doing it in ds3 or bb2 again.

NEO0MJ

yeah the cane is definitely easier than the axe

I'm actually at the opposite end. I'm restarting the game fresh and picked the Cane this time, while in my first playthrough I used the ax and felt it was much easier to use. I miss the damage and angles. I'm sure I'll adjust, though. I used the ax, hammer, and greatsword last time so I was so used to the slow style.

Bebpo

Banned
Got 3 bloodstone chunks but torn between going to +7 with saw cleaver or Kirkhammer. I know saw cleaver is most versatile but it's so annoying having to hit a single enemy seven times to kill them (ghost ladies in cainhurst) when 2h kirkhammer can just smash stuff in a 3 hit combo.

Also I guess I just favor kirkhhammer because it has A in strength at +7 whereas saw cleaver is still a D at +7 and I'm a str focused build.

But I don't want to upgrade Kirk to +10 and be screwed on the endgame bosses because it's too slow. Should I just go with saw cleaver to be safe?

I got 2 circular Fool's gems from Chalice dungeons with +33% damage at full hp. Gonna have some fun with those in PvP on my secondary weapon....

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Got 3 bloodstone chunks but torn between going to +7 with saw cleaver or Kirkhammer. I know saw cleaver is most versatile but it's so annoying having to hit a single enemy seven times to kill them (ghost ladies in cainhurst) when 2h kirkhammer can just smash stuff in a 3 hit combo.

Also I guess I just favor kirkhhammer because it has A in strength at +7 whereas saw cleaver is still a D at +7 and I'm a str focused build.

But I don't want to upgrade Kirk to +10 and be screwed on the endgame bosses because it's too slow. Should I just go with saw cleaver to be safe?

Saw Cleaver will never be as strong as Kirkhammer damage wise because at best you can raise it's strength scaling to B with gems and it's only get a C at level 10 normally. However its strength, a whooping 20% extra damage to beasts, are not to be underestimated because many of the game's most difficult bosses, especially in Chalice, are beasts.

However Kirkhammer is perfectly doable as well and unlike Saw Cleaver, it has thrust attacks and more stagger power, which can be very important in certain situations/against certain enemies.

Sounds like it you like Kirkhammer more so just go with that.

Saw Cleaver will never be as strong as Kirkhammer damage wise because at best you can raise it's strength scaling to B with gems and it's only get a C at level 10 normally.
Kirkhammer is only 70% as strong as its displayed Attack Rating when you're in one handed sword form, so Saw Cleaver will actually out damage it when you can do sustained DPS (and sustained DPS is much better against bosses than slow attacks that consume most of your stamina).

Saw Cleaver is also pretty much the best weapon in the game overall as well. As for which one to +10, it mostly comes down to preference.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, ended up going with Saw Cleaver. Got through Cainhurst outside of the boss, which doesn't seem too bad but I'm out of blood vials and keep trying him with 0 vials lol. Seems like if you can stay mid-range and get him to keep trying to do the short range stuff and then counter you can do alright.

Also ended up doing as much of the Unseen Village is possible and took out Darkbeast Pearl. Need 2 more bloodstone chunks to get my saw cleaver to +8 atm. 27/27/30 VIT/END/STR lvl.60 right now.

Will grind some blood vials then try the to take out the Cainhurst boss before going to Byrgenworth. Screwed up and
accidently killed Ioesef too early so no 1/3rd cord. Just ran into her when explore her ward and killed her. So I gotta make sure I don't miss any more. Sent Arriane to the Cathedral Ward so hopefully can get that one and already got the old abandoned workshop one.

Game is good fun. Having a great time. Feels pretty manageable after the Cathedral Ward/Vicar Amelia stuff which was the toughest part for me so far in this playthrough.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Kirkhammer is only 70% as strong as its displayed Attack Rating when you're in one handed sword form, so Saw Cleaver will actually out damage it when you can do sustained DPS (and sustained DPS is much better against bosses than slow attacks that consume most of your stamina).

Saw Cleaver is also pretty much the best weapon in the game overall as well. As for which one to +10, it mostly comes down to preference.

Hahaha, well, if anyone's forcing me to choose between the two I'd also pick Saw Cleaver personally. The hammer form of Kirkhammer is quite unreliable in terms of damage; you need to find that "sweet spot" in order for it to cause the maximum damage to the enemy--unlike say, Burial Blade--making it quite a hassle to use sometimes, especially against mobile enemies.

It *is* however, one of the coolest looking weapons in the game, and one of the most unique. I find it kind of fun to use based on these two fact alone, hahaha (and I love how when you wear gear like the Black Church set the ribbons at the back of the clothing flows in line with the hammer's shape)

Yeah, ended up going with Saw Cleaver. Got through Cainhurst outside of the boss, which doesn't seem too bad but I'm out of blood vials and keep trying him with 0 vials lol. Seems like if you can stay mid-range and get him to keep trying to do the short range stuff and then counter you can do alright.

Also ended up doing as much of the Unseen Village is possible and took out Darkbeast Pearl. Need 2 more bloodstone chunks to get my saw cleaver to +8 atm. 27/27/30 VIT/END/STR lvl.60 right now.

Will grind some blood vials then try the to take out the Cainhurst boss before going to Byrgenworth. Screwed up and
accidently killed Ioesef too early so no 1/3rd cord. Just ran into her when explore her ward and killed her. So I gotta make sure I don't miss any more. Sent Arriane to the Cathedral Ward so hopefully can get that one and already got the old abandoned workshop one.

Game is good fun. Having a great time. Feels pretty manageable after the Cathedral Ward/Vicar Amelia stuff which was the toughest part for me so far in this playthrough.

Not really imo, since that's the only way you can get the best version of Oedon Writhe without delving into Chalice Dungeon, and the Rune can be very useful. It's not like the rest of the things you need to get for the best ending are hard to get--in fact, you can pretty much guarantee getting them all if you know what you're doing (and it's real, real easy)

Well, my view anyway.

Bebpo

Banned
Not really imo, since that's the only way you can get the best version of Oedon Writhe without delving into Chalice Dungeon, and the Rune can be very useful. It's not like the rest of the things you need to get for the best ending are hard to get--in fact, you can pretty much guarantee getting them all if you know what you're doing (and it's real, real easy)

Well, my view anyway.

Well, unless I'm missing something most of the runes are pretty useless. Like that one giving +2 ammo for each visceral attack, I dunno, are you really going to run out of ammo in a boss fight 20 ammo shots? Or the rune that increase your HP recovered with a blood vial by an additional .08%. I feel like a lot of the runes are really, really minor upgrades to the point where they don't feel exciting or important.

Wish there was a way to like, level up the runes and make their effects stronger and more useful.

NEO0MJ

Wish there was a way to like, level up the runes and make their effects stronger and more useful.

If they were at least like rings it would have made switching them around more fun. Going back to hunters dream to change them each time sucks.

I'm actually at the opposite end. I'm restarting the game fresh and picked the Cane this time, while in my first playthrough I used the ax and felt it was much easier to use. I miss the damage and angles. I'm sure I'll adjust, though. I used the ax, hammer, and greatsword last time so I was so used to the slow style.
What you lose in power you gain in distance and crowd management. It becomes less of a power game but becomes more about quick in and out hits and distance hits in whip form. Besides once you get into the groove and keep upgrading skill you gain a lot of attack power with less of a stamina cost. I took down a lot of powerful bosses with the cane. I got into the grove with it during the vicar Amelia boss fight and even used it to take down the watchdoge it's a viable weapon from beginning to end. That with the Blades of Mercy make for one effective weapon combo.

Eh the damage of the axe was nice but I figure if I level up skill enough it won't matter as much. Plus the whip is just too good against a group of wnemies, I can stand back and take them all out easily.

Bring it on!
i'm probably going to get demolished

We should have a GAF fight club. :)

The gems are really only for fun, you normally don't stay at full hp for a long time in PvP...

I second the notion that the Cleaver is extemely strong. But not ready to declare it best weapon yet, game is still too young. The range when not transformed is very limited and the transformed moveset is kinda lame. Damage, speed and stun-lock are pretty insane though.

Eh the damage of the axe was nice but I figure if I level up skill enough it won't matter as much. Plus the whip is just too good against a group of wnemies, I can stand back and take them all out easily.
Exactly. That and when you level up the cane to I think +4 the scaling for the skill hits rank B as well, which adds even more damage. Plus the cane eats up less stamina per swing so you can get in more hits. Cane doesn't stagger so it helps to time them after the enemy attacks and pop back out. Either that or use the whip for to hit them form outside of their attack range.
also i've never actually been able to execute a visceral attack yet, what's up with that? it's just r1 near a staggered enemy right

here's a video of me being terrible, what are some simple fighting tips to avoid this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dTds-dL8So
I looked at this and half of your problem was mob management. With the first group behind the stairs it's best if you funnel them up the stairs so you can take them one on one while they handle walking up the steps. With the second mob it's good to go to the end of that platform and drop down from there so you can sneak up on the gun guy and then kill him while also hiding from the other gun guy using the carriage as a shield. Lure the dog, kill him and then rush up the stairs, kill that gun guy, drop back down from his carriage and deal with the rest of those. Don't be afraid to back up while fighting them because that will usually separate them a bit. I usually dip in and out of their attack range a bit to cause them to attack while I'm drifting out of their attack range. Hopefully you're passed that part though.

NEO0MJ

I'll see how it goes. I'm more than used to switching up weapons in Souls games so I won't drop the cane just cause it's inconvenient right now. Though I kinda wish we had Soul Vessels again. Maybe with the expansion?

I thought that was one of the easier bosses in the game, beat her on my first try. What's giving you problems?

I'm available, whats your psn?

Thanks for stepping up guys, but I honestly jumped the gun. I also managed to defeat her on my first attempt. I'd read comments online that suggested she was a tough fight, but I guess not. The clone attacks were the only surprise that caught me off guard. I have since beaten the game! :D I used the backup/restore save method to see each ending. It's the first "Souls" game I've seen through to the end. Could not have enjoyed it more, however, I have some questions for those more experienced:

What level is recommend for New Game+?
What do I need before beginning New Game+?
Gear, items (crafting/ritual), tools, etc

I'm also just three trophies away from completion:
Yharnam,
Pthumerian Queen
Defeat
Yharnam, Blood Queen of the Old Labyrinth.

Hunter's Essence
Acquire all hunter weapons (missing the Beast Claw)

Blood Gem Master
Acquire an extremely precious blood gem.

I'm not sure if I should attempt those in New Game+ or before beating the final boss?

Same three for me. Good luck on the grind! I went to NG+ just because the echo grind is easier. The Chalice dungeons don't change, so going to NG+ won't effect you getting those achievements.

Thanks and good luck to you too! Bloodborne is going to be my first 'platinum'. I've equipped two Moon runes for additional currency, is there a third?

Thanks for stepping up guys, but I honestly jumped the gun. I also managed to defeat her on my first attempt. I'd read comments online that suggested she was a tough fight, but I guess not. The clone attacks were the only surprise that caught me off guard. I have since beaten the game! :D I used the backup/restore save method to see each ending. It's the first "Souls" game I've seen through to the end. Could not have enjoyed it more, however, I have some questions for those more experienced:

What level is recommend for New Game+?
What do I need before beginning New Game+?
Gear, items (crafting/ritual), tools, etc

I'm also just three trophies away from completion:

I'm not sure if I should attempt those in New Game+ or before beating the final boss?

Those 3 trophies are related to the chalice dungeons. You can do them before finishing the game, just require the materials
and being a high level ~130

neoism

man the CD are serious devoid of environmental diversity :/...... I sooo miss this from this game... other than Cainhust not much different in environments... really hope the dlc expack fixes this...

also so you guys can remember not sure if anyone here is using this but
hizzngr3 is an amazing pvp CD with a circle room right at the start... I've pvp'do there for about a month and it doesn't have any blood vail spam 99% of the time!

levels are100-200

Top Bottom