• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Do I farm the materials within the Chalice dungeons themselves? I'm also level 89 at the moment, I guess I have some ways to go.

Yeah the materials come from within the Chalice dungeons. The Beast Claw is located in the Ailing Loran Depth 4, Layer 2. Its kinda confusing getting to the Queen since it requires a few things, but check out these 2 links Link 1 Link 2. Should help make things clearer.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I might not have a proper skill build for all I know, but I love running with the Threaded Cane and Blades of Mercy. So far my two favorite weapons of the game.
Those are the two weapons I'm using too, and I have no idea if my build is any good either. Probably isn't, since I'm on my first playthrough and I put a bunch of points into various stats so that I could try out weapons that I found, but ended up leaving behind because I didn't like them.

These days, I default to the cane for its range and versatility, and switch to the BoM if I'm in a one-on-one fight where I find I can get close easily. Usually that means smaller enemies.

Still can't beat
Paarl
. I'm completely at my wit's end. Barely take any health off before dying. Didn't even have this much trouble with Ornstein and Smough. I'm not gonna summon because that's lame but man, this is driving me crazy. How am I supposed to hit his legs when I can't lock onto them? He moves too quick just to slash randomly.
I find that guy is really tough if you try to take him on right after getting
kidnapped
. I left and did another area or so before going back there, and I did it very differently from the legs thing that people mentioned because I didn't know of any strat beforehand. I used the whip form of the cane, locked on, and tried to go for his head because that seemed to interrupt/stagger him really easily, and I got a ton of damage in that way. It also meant I spent most of the fight at a range that didn't make the camera go nuts much (it still did a few times though).

If you have Henryk's outfit, that also helps against this guy a lot because it has high bolt resistance.

there's one other boss in the last chalice that's probably on par with the defiled dungeon, but for the most part. yes.

H
eadless
B
loodletting
B
east
? I've beaten the regular version on my second try and didn't really struggle with him (when I was level 60! I'm now level 83). How much harder is the one in Pthumeru Ihyll?

Those are the two weapons I'm using too, and I have no idea if my build is any good either. Probably isn't, since I'm on my first playthrough and I put a bunch of points into various stats so that I could try out weapons that I found, but ended up leaving behind because I didn't like them.

These days, I default to the cane for its range and versatility, and switch to the BoM if I'm in a one-on-one fight where I find I can get close easily. Usually that means smaller enemies.
Blades of Mercy actually isn't bad for bigger enemies too. Just maintain distance. I found the attack that comes out after you dodge to be pretty helpful at closing in from a distance when it's in the transformed state. Usually packs a wallop too. How many points do you have in skill? I have about 35 currently and it packs a good punch.

Akuun

Blades of Mercy actually isn't bad for bigger enemies too. Just maintain distance. I found the attack that comes out after you dodge to be pretty helpful at closing in from a distance when it's in the transformed state. Usually packs a wallop too. How many points do you have in skill? I have about 35 currently and it packs a good punch.
I'm at around 25. My build is kind of wonky in that it's something like 23 vit / 25 end / 16 str / 25 skill. Lots of stat points wasted because I wanted to try out different weapons that I ended up dropping. I do think the BoM shines best in any situation where you can do the quick stab after a dodge, or if you can corner/get in close long enough to do the sword spam thing. I used it for Rom, for example. Both for the spiders and Rom herself.

But for bigger enemies where I can't quite reach it after a dodge or if I need to make an extra effort to get closer because the BoM is pretty short ranged, then I go with the cane.

H
eadless
B
loodletting
B
east
? I've beaten the regular version on my second try and didn't really struggle with him (when I was level 60! I'm now level 83). How much harder is the one in Pthumeru Ihyll?

It's probably the
descendent
, couldn't beat it alone

kewlmyc

Just when I thought I was done with
Rom the Stupid Looking Spider, she
shows up in the Chalice Dungeons? Fuck this. This time I
killed the first and second wave of spiders, then went "fuck it" and just ignored the third wave, since Rom was spamming her crystal meteors from the sky the whole time.
Thank you, based bolt paper.

H
eadless
B
loodletting
B
east

i thought it was significantly harder. but it still only took me a half dozen tries

It's probably the
descendent
, couldn't beat it alone

nah, i gun-parried the fuck out of that boss

Is the defiled dungeon the hardest it's going to get?

It is only for the reduced health but the enemies are not that hard but can one shot you.

H
eadless
B
loodletting
B
east

Is the same but more agressive, its harder due being in a small space and his head dont have hitboxes obviously
until third phase

Just when I thought I was done with
Rom the Stupid Looking Spider, she
shows up in the Chalice Dungeons? Fuck this. This time I
killed the first and second wave of spiders, then went "fuck it" and just ignored the third wave, since Rom was spamming her crystal meteors from the sky the whole time.
Thank you, based bolt paper.

I got lucky and her spiders in the third wave glitched so I destroyed her without spending a second.

I'm at around 25. My build is kind of wonky in that it's something like 23 vit / 25 end / 16 str / 25 skill. Lots of stat points wasted because I wanted to try out different weapons that I ended up dropping. I do think the BoM shines best in any situation where you can do the quick stab after a dodge, or if you can corner/get in close long enough to do the sword spam thing. I used it for Rom, for example. Both for the spiders and Rom herself.

But for bigger enemies where I can't quite reach it after a dodge or if I need to make an extra effort to get closer because the BoM is pretty short ranged, then I go with the cane.
Unless you sunk a lot into arcane or bloodtinge that's not really much of a waste. I'm currently about 33 vit (I think) 24 end 18 str and 35 skill. I don't consider vit and end points an actual waste because those help a lot. I will agree, BoM work surprisingly well on Rom. I one shotted the spiders practically and did good damage to Rom with them, just couldn't get too greedy with the hits. Depending on when you hit the certain chalice dungeons you Blades are great for the bosses in there too.

Akuun

Unless you sunk a lot into arcane or bloodtinge that's not really much of a waste. I'm currently about 33 vit (I think) 24 end 18 str and 35 skill. I don't consider vit and end points an actual waste because those help a lot. I will agree, BoM work surprisingly well on Rom. I one shotted the spiders practically and did good damage to Rom with them, just couldn't get too greedy with the hits. Depending on when you hit the certain chalice dungeons you Blades are great for the bosses in there too.
No, didn't touch Bloodtinge or Arcane except for taking Bloodtinge to 9ish or so because I wanted to try the rifle spear. I feel like the 16 str is kind of a waste since I ended up going for weapons that don't use STR, but oh well.

I'm toying with the idea of taking Bloodtinge to 10 to try the Reiterspallach too, but I'm not sure if I want to spend the time and stones upgrading and learning another weapon at this point in the game. Plus I can't really think of a situation where a rapier-type weapon could do something that the cane+BoM combo can't.

Soulhouf

If they were at least like rings it would have made switching them around more fun. Going back to hunters dream to change them each time sucks.

Yep. I respect the fact that these are a tribute to Lovecraft.
You're literally inserting these runes into your mind, so you need a special tool to do so.
What I love in this game is that for the most part they didn't compromise their ideas. Instead they got to the bottom of things and remained faithful to their vision.

No, didn't touch Bloodtinge or Arcane except for taking Bloodtinge to 9ish or so because I wanted to try the rifle spear. I feel like the 16 str is kind of a waste since I ended up going for weapons that don't use STR, but oh well.

I'm toying with the idea of taking Bloodtinge to 10 to try the Reiterspallach too, but I'm not sure if I want to spend the time and stones upgrading and learning another weapon at this point in the game. Plus I can't really think of a situation where a rapier-type weapon could do something that the cane+BoM combo can't.
There are actually some bosses towards the end that are weak to thrust and lightning damage, so applying bolt paper to that thing will wreck some of the the harder bosses. Man, I'm going to have to put some points into Bloodtinge for the Reiterspallach, ugh. I think at least three points then.

Should I fortify the Threaded Cane?

Also is it worth to keep a pistol equipped along with the blunderbuss, maybe for longer range encounters or something?

Also is it worth to keep a pistol equipped along with the blunderbuss, maybe for longer range encounters or something?

The Bunderbuss is my main pistol on my main character, have great sinergy with the TC since you will always be in mid range, but fast enemies can break trough your attacks and punish you if you dont learn how to use the gun

Its pros.

-AOE Attack
-Hits hard in close combat
-Stops everything if you shoot it in time
-Perfect to bail slow enemies to do their strong attacks to stagger

Cons

-Slow to fire
-small damage per shoot
-Bad at long range attacks

Yes fortify the Cane. Damage will go up and when it hits +4 I believe the skill damage scaling goes up as well, which helps a lot if you have a good amount of points in the skill stat. I've mainly just used the blunderbuss and I haven't really had much of a problem. If you're too far when you stagger them you will probably miss the chance to visceral them any way, but experiment and see what works for you. From what I've read on here the only benefit of the pistol over the shotgun is that you can shoot it faster to parry at the last minute. I think the bullet travels faster too, but the blunderbuss covers a wider area with the bullet spread.

We should have a GAF fight club. :)

The gems are really only for fun, you normally don't stay at full hp for a long time in PvP...

I second the notion that the Cleaver is extemely strong. But not ready to declare it best weapon yet, game is still too young. The range when not transformed is very limited and the transformed moveset is kinda lame. Damage, speed and stun-lock are pretty insane though.

Me and Irawr have a dungeon that we use to pvp. I'm sure we can set up something like that for gaf.

I was thinking of having a gaf pvp tournament in the veins of gaf's last of us tournament to kick it off.

The Bunderbuss is my main pistol on my main character, have great sinergy with the TC since you will always be in mid range, but fast enemies can break trough your attacks and punish you if you dont learn how to use the gun

Its pros.

-AOE Attack
-Hits hard in close combat
-Stops everything if you shoot it in time
-Perfect to bail slow enemies to do their strong attacks to stagger

Cons

-Slow to fire
-small damage per shoot
-Bad at long range attacks
yeah I prefer the Blunderbuss because there have been times where I go to parry with the pistol and it completely misses a dude. But I meant should I have the pistol as my second left hand weapon for certain situations or just sell it off and equip the torch as my second left hand thingy
Yes fortify the Cane. Damage will go up and when it hits +4 I believe the skill damage scaling goes up as well, which helps a lot if you have a good amount of points in the skill stat. I've mainly just used the blunderbuss and I haven't really had much of a problem. If you're too far when you stagger them you will probably miss the chance to visceral them any way, but experiment and see what works for you. From what I've read on here the only benefit of the pistol over the shotgun is that you can shoot it faster to parry at the last minute. I think the bullet travels faster too, but the blunderbuss covers a wider area with the bullet spread.
By skill damage scaling going up do you mean basically with each point in skill the damage of the TC increases even further?

yeah I prefer the Blunderbuss because there have been times where I go to parry with the pistol and it completely misses a dude. But I meant should I have the pistol as my second left hand weapon for certain situations or just sell it off and equip the torch as my second left hand thingy

By skill damage scaling going up do you mean basically with each point in skill the damage of the TC increases even further?
Yes and when you fortify the cane enough times the scaling goes from C-B-A, which increases the weapons damage. It makes the skill scaling more effective. I've actually never used the torch, I just use the hand lantern, though that reduces stamina regeneration a bit.

I just finished Bloodborne and it was a blast. First Souls game I've played to completion. I loved it but I missed a whole bunch of optional stuff so I'm going to go through it again with a lot more knowledge and look at guides to try and 100% it. Just wondering if anyone has any advice for a fun build to use.

In my main game I mostly used LHB with High Vit/End/Str/Skill. It was probably a terrible way to play. How would you recommend I go through it a second time?

I just finished Bloodborne and it was a blast. First Souls game I've played to completion. I loved it but I missed a whole bunch of optional stuff so I'm going to go through it again with a lot more knowledge and look at guides to try and 100% it. Just wondering if anyone has any advice for a fun build to use.

In my main game I mostly used LHB with High Vit/End/Str/Skill. It was probably a terrible way to play. How would you recommend I go through it a second time?
Anybody here know if a skill/bloodtinge build is viable? I don't want to give up the skill weapons on my next play through.

MUnited83

For you.
Just killed Defiled Watchdog @level69. Jesus Christ that was a tedious fight. 40 minutes of dodging, baiting head attacks and getting one/two hits max at a time.

Just killed Defiled Watchdog @level69. Jesus Christ that was a tedious fight. 40 minutes of dodging, baiting head attacks and getting one/two hits max at a time.
Man this makes me feel over leveled. I'm level 74 and haven't even beaten the game yet. Granted the last 2 bosses weren't exactly push overs. Though Paarl and Shadows of Yarnham were cake walks when I fought them.

Going on my first playthrough. Just beat the Cleric Beast. I died a couple times beforehand so I leveled up a little bit. I realized that I trying to dodge to the left and right instead of dodging towards him to the side and his back. It made the fight a whole lot easier.

Anybody here know if a skill/bloodtinge build is viable? I don't want to give up the skill weapons on my next play through.

It is viable for the chikage and the flamethrower but you have to devote like 25-30 points on the blood stats to see the results.

Oh, I use the hunter torch for exploring in the second left stock.

Man this makes me feel over leveled. I'm level 74 and haven't even beaten the game yet. Granted the last 2 bosses weren't exactly push overs. Though Paarl and Shadows of Yarnham were cake walks when I fought them.

The last boss hits hard and requires around your level, the
true
boss requires a little more.

For the first (second?) real boss, is it better to use the cane or the whip

and is 19-20 a good level to take it on?

lol nvm he dead, easy

It is viable for the chikage and the flamethrower but you have to devote like 25-30 points on the blood stats to see the results.

The last boss hits hard and requires around your level, the
true
boss requires a little more.
Interesting. I'll have to try that with my next character, I've never even used the flamethrower. My last single player boss was Logarius and mandatory Rom, I have plenty of game left before I reach the end. I cake walked central pthumerian and I think pthumerian root chalice, whichever root one that ends with the watch dog. So I can only imagine what level I'll be at For the last 2 bosses. Personally I want to do all of the bosses too. How do I even get the Chikage?
Flamethrower scales with arcane, not bloodtinge.

But apparently bloodtinge builds enable silly damage with guns when you use bone marrow ash.
I was thinking of being more pistol and skill solely with no strength stat increases. Upgrading bloodtinge for more distant damage with an upgraded pistol until I get Evelyn.
For the first (second?) real boss, is it better to use the cane or the whip

and is 19-20 a good level to take it on?

lol nvm he dead, easy
Congrats! Gascoigne?

Interesting. I'll have to try that with my next character, I've never even used the flamethrower. My last single player boss was Logarius and mandatory Rom, I have plenty of game left before I reach the end. I cake walked central pthumerian and I think pthumerian root chalice, whichever root one that ends with the watch dog. So I can only imagine what level I'll be at For the last 2 bosses. Personally I want to do all of the bosses too. How do I even get the Chikage?
I was thinking of being more pistol and skill solely with no strength stat increases. Upgrading bloodtinge for more distant damage with an upgraded pistol until I get Evelyn.
Congrats! Gascoigne?

yeah, was really simple for me

Used the blade of the TC for the first phase, he'd roll up to me, I'd blunderbuss, visceral attacked at least 3 times or so and then dashed towards him and spammed some attacks while he was recovering, second phase was kinda a bitch but i just kept spamming dodge, third I used two molotovs.

Should I blood gem the threaded cane?
If it ups the attack then yes.
yeah, was really simple for me

Used the blade of the TC for the first phase, he'd roll up to me, I'd blunderbuss, visceral attacked at least 3 times or so and then dashed towards him and spammed some attacks while he was recovering, second phase was kinda a bitch but i just kept spamming dodge, third I used two molotovs.
Nice. Throwing an oil urn on him mid transformation and then molotov after that would've damn near killed him too. Deadly combo.

IvorB

Oh man, I accidentally killed the nice NPC lady who
helped me out in the beginning. I was moving through Father G's area and some douche-bag hunter came out of nowhere and killed me. So I headed straight back there and I saw him engaged in a struggle with another hunter who I guessed was that lady I had spoken to a few times. So I just went wading in without really thinking. Thought I would help her out actually. I forgot what game I was playing for a second. I killed the enemy hunter but the other friendly hunter also. Feels bad. :-(

On the positive side I have a bunch of new weapons including a holy
sword +6
that's great. Did my first chalice dungeon also.

Aurongel

Finally came back and beat a certain
martyr
boss today and boy was that damn satisfying. I upgraded the Ludwig to +9 and also dumped a ton of levels into Arcane and skill which dramatically boosted my attack with it. I began dealing 90% more damage with it after just an hour or so of grinding souls by wailing on some Robocop melty man grad students.

Also, did anyone else think that this martyr character and his yellow cloak and crown were a reference to the King in Yellow from Lovecraft? Maybe I'm just seeing things because I watched too much True Detective but it seemed intentional to me.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The relative uselessness of Arcane stat is depicted wonderfully by the Burial Blade.

Skill 50. Strength: 10. Arcane: 15.

Burial Blade at Maximum with D for Strength and B for Arcane in Scaling.

And yet raising Strength give me +3 attack power to it, while raising Arcane only gives +2

Heh.

The relative uselessness of Arcane stat is depicted wonderfully by the Burial Blade.

Skill 50. Strength: 10. Arcane: 15.

Burial Blade at Maximum with D for Strength and B for Arcane in Scaling.

And yet raising Strength give me +3 attack power to it, while raising Arcane only gives +2

Heh.
Burial Blade sucks at arcane unless you put flat gems on it. Not a good indication of how the arcane stat functions.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Burial Blade sucks at arcane unless you put flat gems on it. Not a good indication of how the arcane stat functions.

Doesn't change the fact that Arcane is the stat that many love to pound, and that is not without a good reason.

Just a small example, even when buffed with the latest patch, the "damage-dealing" Arcane-based offensive items like Executioners Glove or A Call Beyond are still extremely, extremely weak when compared to Skill/Strength/Quality/Bloodtinge.

Beast Roar and Old Hunter's Bone are cool, but that's it.

In my eyes anyways.

Top Bottom