• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Arcane builds aren't supposed to rely on hunters tools. They rely on weapons converted to an element and the sprayer guns.

It's annoying that people assume the arcane stat is useless when it's not. It's actually a lot more viable as a weapon stat than it was in Dark Souls.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Arcane builds aren't supposed to rely on hunters tools. They rely on weapons converted to an element and the sprayer guns.

It's annoying that people assume the arcane stat is useless when it's not. It's actually a lot more viable as a weapon stat than it was in Dark Souls.

Not useless, but definitely not as powerful as STR/SKL/Bloodtinge focused build, and they require much less work too than Arcane to achieve similar level of damage--hell, often even *better*.

Hey, if you like Arcane, more power to you! I am not here to make fun of people that use Arcane focused build--I am just stating my view on it, a view shared by a good majority of the Bloodborne community I might add, after reading lots of stuff in various Bloodborne-focused forums and threads.

I'm not saying it's stronger than physical, I'm saying people always misunderstand how arcane works because it's not soul arrow spam or greatsword of artorias style stat scaling.

So it seems the conversation I was having in this thread is over. I'd still like to organize and sum up my thoughts on parrying in this game, so here we go.

First, I want to give a clear presentation of the concept of hit consequence lag, because I'm going to be bringing it up later in this post, but also because it applies to every attack in the game, not just parries.

There are three elements to a hit: visual confirmation (a visual effect), damage and, if poise is broken, reaction (flinch/stun/knockdown), which always comes last. It's impossible for the game to have all three of these occur on the same frame, meaning that there will always be at least one frame between the actual hit and any reaction from the enemy, even if they've already taken damage and emitted some kind of hit effect. Visual confirmation and damage can come in either order, or can be simultaneous with each other or the reaction, but there is always at least one frame separating one of them from the reaction. For example:
Bloodborne%20Hit%20Consequence%20Lag%201.PNG
Here's the frame where an attack connects. In this case, both the visual confirmation (the blood) and the damage appear on the same frame. Then the reaction happens on the next frame:

It is however possible for all of them to be spaced out, adding more than one extra frame to the whole process. Here's the contact frame of a hit where only damage is applied on time:
Then comes the visual confirmation on the next frame:
Then finally the reaction on the next frame, making it 2 frames between the hit connecting and the reaction:

It's even possible for any of these steps to take more than one frame each, creating even greater latency, but you probably get the point. This is a deep problem for a game where judging the timing of your actions is critical, and it's especially harmful to parrying, which needs serious precision by definition. Even if you don't care about parrying, you should care about this fundamental flaw. These observations may well have different causes; it seems plausible the ways the game calculates when damage taken from a hit is applied, when hit effects appear and when enemies should react to hits are all different processes, but I'm putting them under a single umbrella for clarity's sake and because there's no way for me to look under the hood.

Now that I've established that, I'll present my main thesis regarding parrying. Tying the idea of parrying to guns was a catastrophic mistake. I think every flaw parrying has is tied to this, except those caused by hit consequence lag. Let's look at those flaws.

Parrying is slower than it should be

The fastest a parry in Bloodborne can possibly be executed from a neutral position (parrying directly after dodging has a shorter warmup period) is 11 frames: 9 for the warmup animation (using a spreadshot weapon; bizarrely pistols have 10 frames of warmup despite their description, they just have less cooldown so you can fire again faster), 1 for the bullet emission, and 1 frame to account for hit consequence lag in a best case scenario. Shooting at absolute point blank can eliminate travel time; the bullet makes contact on the same frame it's emitted. However, this is very rare and pretty much out of the player's hands, which makes this 11 frame ideal even less likely. A couple of frames of travel time is common even at what seems to be point blank. So if you're in an enemy's attack range and want to parry the attack, you need to input the parry at least 11 frames before their attack connects to have a total success in the best scenario. This is a very difficult task in itself for many attacks.

Let's say an enemy has an attack that has a 20 frame windup, two thirds of a second. That sounds reasonable, right? But take away that parry warmup period and you've got 9 frames, less than a third of a second to see the attack, distinguish it from other attacks that might be visually similar, and execute the parry. That can be doable with practice, but for most players it's going to be an intense pressure to rely on pure twitch reaction. Reacting that way is something the game (and any action game in a single player context) should pretty much never encourage for obvious reasons. And of course, there are tons of attacks that have more than 11 frames of windup but less than 20, making them possible but unfeasible to parry while in range. Making attacks too fast to parry may be a way of differentiating them as attacks that just aren't intended to be parried, but I'd be shocked if that was the intent. This might work if attacks were telegraphed very strongly from the very beginning of their animations, but this is very often not the case in Bloodborne, and it's probably just a bad idea regardless; just making parrying faster would maintain enemy attack diversity with no downsides. The long warmup time of parries is their biggest flaw, one that pushes the entire concept of parrying toward irrelevancy.

So how's this related to the fact that parrying is tied to guns? I suspect the reason parrying was given such a long windup time was to give other players time to react and dodge gunshots. If this is the case, I wonder why the concept of parrying wasn't heavily redesigned to compensate.

Parrying at range isn't parrying

At its core, parrying is an escalation of the “standard” of attack avoidance. Instead of dodging to avoid damage and gain advantages that aren't intrinsically connected to the act of dodging itself, you take on greater risk of being hit and gain a big direct advantage (the visceral attack) if you succeed. But what if you could avoid this risk and still get the benefit? This is what parrying at range allows. It's very possible to parry an attack while being completely outside of its range, meaning the player is at no risk of damage whatsoever. The balance of risk and reward that defines parrying is shattered in this scenario. It's a scenario that has no reason to exist with one big exception as far as I can see: when an opponent heals.

Allowing healing to be parried, and remotely, is a very clever way of stopping players from being able to break off from the fight and recover at their leisure, and it would likely work well if AI enemies were capable of healing too. It also counterbalances the speed healing takes place at in Bloodborne. It's the one case where parrying at range really makes sense, but it would've been better to make it a special case than to always have bullets be the parry delivery method.

Anyway, parrying healing is fundamentally different from parrying attacks, and there's no excuse for allowing attacks to be parried at range. Instead of the simple, great system of intense risk and reward in Demon's and Dark Souls we've got a weird wishy-washy thing that rewards players for backing off and staying out of danger. Also, parrying at range eliminates positioning as a factor; where before you had to be right in front of the enemy now you can be in an arbitrary position, shoot for the parry and run in for the riposte. That's lame too.

Parries resulting in trades is a failure of design

Since the parry delivery method is physically separated from the player themselves, and because of the issues with hit consequence lag, a scenario that didn't exist in any Souls game becomes possible when attempting to parry: a trade. This is when a parry succeeds but the parried attack also succeeds. This is only possible when a player attempts to parry while in the range of the attack. In the Souls games, a parry that was timed slightly off or came from the wrong position resulted in the parrying party taking partial damage and both sides maintaining poise. This scenario has been eliminated in Bloodborne, and now near misses result in trades. This was probably once again necessary to keep the idea of using a gun intact; something between total success and total failure doesn't make sense when the delivery method is disconnected. Also, in a bizarre twist, parrying “perfectly,” having a parry become active on the exact frame the enemy attack makes contact, will always result in a trade because of hit consequence lag.

Trading is a bad thing for a few reasons. First, it's confusing. Having players suffer the full consequences of a hit despite parrying that hit successfully is some seriously mixed messaging. I traded and took damage, so I failed, but I also succeeded? Huh? But even weirder is how trading can also develop into a total success or failure state because of circumstances. If the player trades with a hit that doesn't kill them outright or stun them for long enough for the parried party to recover, the regain system will allow them to take all the health they just lost back with the visceral attack, meaning the trade is without consequence unless the attack also caused a status effect or something. On the other hand, if one of the aforementioned consequences was attached to the attack, they can lose out, sometimes brutally. Trading is incredibly generous and ridiculously harsh by turns, and above all it simply feels unfair. I find it unbelievable that parrying was designed with these bizarre outcomes in mind, and again I wonder how there weren't big changes to avoid them.

---

These are the major problems with parrying that I think exist, and they're all possible because the idea of parrying is tied to the use of guns, in some way or another. There are probably even more details I'm glossing over. I was really excited by the idea of parrying being tied to guns before the game was released, since the change in metaphor seemed to give the designers freer license to make parrying useful against more enemies and types of attacks, but it seems to have backfired terribly. If you enjoyed parrying in the Souls games, that paradigm is as good as dead in Bloodborne, and the thing that replaces it is broadly inferior. The new parrying scheme can work well for you if you're willing to constantly retreat from the enemy and poke at them from outside their attack range, but I feel that's in direct conflict with the fundamental ideals of this game, where fast paced but controlled close combat is the goal. I'm very disappointed with the end result.

If anyone has data that disproves any of my claims, please go ahead and post it. Dissecting this stuff is both enjoyable and enlightening, it's the kind of discussion I really like to see.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, I'm super freaking frustrated right now with Nightmare Frontier. First time the game has been way more frustrating than fun. Lvl.60 haven't gone to Byrgenworth yet.

-First the PVP which was the first time in the game I had to deal with never ending hunter attackers. Finally killed bell girl and stopped that.

-Huge ass poison lake, burning through all the blood vials & antidotes I don't have and farmed right before I got there. Hate moving slow through the lake since it's big.

-Boulder guys 1 hit killing me from above while running through the lake.

-FRENZY EYEBALL BRAIN which I am completely stuck at because if I kill him I still die from frenzy in 1 hit all my HP gone one-shotted even with the best Frenzy DEF gear I have right now. If I sprint past him my frenzy bar still maxes and I die in 1 hit one-shotting. I read you need to use sedatives...I don't have any (never found any) and the shop in hunters dream doesn't sell them. I just...can't get past this right now. Been wasting my night and my blood vials & antidotes and keep dying over and over. So frustrating. I don't have any frenzy defense runes fwiw.

Is it worth unlocking the central cathedral gate?

hmm can't get in to really any of the places around there, should i head down to old yharnem then and come back?

THAT FUCKING MACHINE GUNNING ASSHOLE

kewlmyc

Ok, I'm super freaking frustrated right now with Nightmare Frontier. First time the game has been way more frustrating than fun. Lvl.60 haven't gone to Byrgenworth yet.

-First the PVP which was the first time in the game I had to deal with never ending hunter attackers. Finally killed bell girl and stopped that.

-Huge ass poison lake, burning through all the blood vials & antidotes I don't have and farmed right before I got there. Hate moving slow through the lake since it's big.

-FRENZY EYEBALL BRAIN which I am completely stuck at because if I kill him I still die from frenzy in 1 hit all my HP gone one-shotted even with the best Frenzy DEF gear I have right now. If I sprint past him my frenzy bar still maxes and I die in 1 hit one-shotting. I read you need to use sedatives...I don't have any (never found any) and the shop in hunters dream doesn't sell them. I just...can't get past this right now. Been wasting my night and my blood vials & antidotes and keep dying over and over. So frustrating. I don't have any frenzy defense runes fwiw.

1. What is your insight at right now? The lower your insight, the more resistant you are to frenzy.

2. It's optional, so you can always save it for later on if it's too hard now.. Sedatives are sold after you get a certain badge from an area you haven't been to yet, so do Nightmare Frontier towards the end of the game. You'll have Frenzy Defense Runes, Blue Elixers (they make you mostly invisible to enemies, helping with the bolder guys), and sedatives available to purchase.

I should've noted down the Chalice Glyph I got, but some of this FRC Ithyll chalice dungeons that you can shortroot into tend to be awesome. Lot of people cooping, lot of gems to farm (and this one I got has a bunch of mobs that will die in poison and will drop gems), easy first floor boss, and even an enemy that can drop chunks on the third floor.

Is it worth unlocking the central cathedral gate?
For a first time playthrough? Probably not, since you can get to where it leads eventually and miss out on less. Once you know where everything is though, fresh characters can use it to get certain things earlier.

I should've noted down the Chalice Glyph I got, but some of this FRC Ithyll chalice dungeons that you can shortroot into tend to be awesome. Lot of people cooping, lot of gems to farm (and this one I got has a bunch of mobs that will die in poison and will drop gems), easy first floor boss, and even an enemy that can drop chunks on the third floor.

For a first time playthrough? Probably not, since you can get to where it leads eventually and miss out on less. Once you know where everything is though, fresh characters can use it to get certain things earlier.

How would I miss out on anything if I get there eventually?

also, I have the TC upgraded to the point where it requires twin blood shards. Is that an entirely new item or will I craft them out of OG blood shards? Debating on whether or not to sell them. Is it even worth fortifying my blunderbuss?

Going to bed for the night, once I got past the initial hump I'm having so much more fun in this than I ever had in Dark Souls, I think the setting has a large amount to do with it.

Actually yeah you can't technically miss out on anything going either path, just that the regular path has more gameplay content and some useful items here and there.

also, I have the TC upgraded to the point where it requires twin blood shards. Is that an entirely new item or will I craft them out of OG blood shards? Debating on whether or not to sell them. Is it even worth fortifying my blunderbuss?

Going to bed for the night, once I got past the initial hump I'm having so much more fun in this than I ever had in Dark Souls, I think the setting has a large amount to do with it.
You find twin blood shards in a new area further down the road. I think a certain badge also allows you to buy them?

Okay, so...

I was thinking about that Slow Poison based PVP build idea, which is a gimmick in itself, but I am thinking of attempting to combine it with another gimmick, which is a Giant Dad stat distribution.

Was thinking of doing something like 40 End to have constant aggression to try and keep applying poison, plus like 20 Strength (to use the Wheel because I heard that is great at applying poison awhile back), and put the rest into Vitality and go past 50 vit if I can.

Bebpo

Banned
1. What is your insight at right now? The lower your insight, the more resistant you are to frenzy.

2. It's optional, so you can always save it for later on if it's too hard now.. Sedatives are sold after you get a certain badge from an area you haven't been to yet, so do Nightmare Frontier towards the end of the game. You'll have Frenzy Defense Runes, Blue Elixers (they make you mostly invisible to enemies, helping with the bolder guys), and sedatives available to purchase.

I was at 30 insight, but I spent it at the shop just to get it down and got it down to 4 insight. Still get instant kill murdered if I try to sprint past eyeball guy or if I run up and kill him in a single combo really quick (why does frenzy meter keep rising after he's dead!?!).

Will come back later after I can buy sedatives. This area really, really burned me out. Been loving the game and all the areas up until now but everything about this area was so frustrating and filled with 1 hit death kills (the boulder throws form a distance that 1 hit KO and poison lake is so awful). This single area pretty much killed me desire to play the game any further for a bit. Hopefully this is the worst area in the game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Okay, so...

I was thinking about that Slow Poison based PVP build idea, which is a gimmick in itself, but I am thinking of attempting to combine it with another gimmick, which is a Giant Dad stat distribution.

Was thinking of doing something like 40 End to have constant aggression to try and keep applying poison, plus like 20 Strength (to use the Wheel because I heard that is great at applying poison awhile back), and put the rest into Vitality and go past 50 vit if I can.

Would you mind recording this and post it in YouTube?

I have watched probably hundreds of Youtube PVP videos but not a single one I have seen people using builds built around poisoning others; it'll be interesting to see how it fares against others.

Would you mind recording this and post it in YouTube?

I have watched probably hundreds of Youtube PVP videos but not a single one I have seen people using builds built around poisoning others; it'll be interesting to see how it fares against others.
I am no expert in PVP I am just theory crafting and haven't even started this character yet (was working on this new avatar and still playing my arcane build today.)

I might go ahead and use my Arcane Character to put some poison gems on a Rifle Spear just to test how hard it is to poison someone.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, need some build advice. Now that I've hit 30/30/30 with VIT/END/STR and seeing diminishing returns, is it worth increasing STR any further? Or should I start bringing my SKL up since I'm getting double the attack increase for each SKL level? And I'm guessing I should still keep increasing VIT, right? Up until like 50?

Ok, need some build advice. Now that I've hit 30/30/30 with VIT/END/STR and seeing diminishing returns, is it worth increasing STR any further? Or should I start bringing my SKL up since I'm getting double the attack increase for each SKL level? And I'm guessing I should still keep increasing VIT, right? Up until like 50?
IMO anytime you ever hit a point where you are unsure of what to do with your stats, it is time to level up Vitality.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I am no expert in PVP I am just theory crafting and haven't even started this character yet (was working on this new avatar and still playing my arcane build today.)

I might go ahead and use my Arcane Character to put some poison gems on a Rifle Spear just to test how hard it is to poison someone.

IIRC very few enemies are susceptible to poison although some of them can indeed be the very annoying types (various Hunters, for example) so I imagine Poison-focused characters will be more suitable to PVP situations (since no one would expect it).

Hmmm, maybe I should try stuff like this... more "exotic" builds, I mean. It'll be interesting.

What weapon are you planning to main?

IIRC very few enemies are susceptible to poison although some of them can indeed be the very annoying types (various Hunters, for example) so I imagine Poison-focused characters will be more suitable to PVP situations (since no one would expect it).
Well yeah, what I mean is that I wouldn't be the right person to make a YouTube montage. I still intend on using it in PVP and finding some other way of increasing my damage in PvE (probably relying on flat increases).

I also don't have the account and stuff set up for it so there's that.

30 strength should be fine for Saw Cleaver. C Scaling IIRC.

You *can* level up Arcane if you want to try out the hunter tools, but it's something not mandatory.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Saw Cleaver.

Also is it worth upgrading Arcane to use items? Mine is only 7, so I'd have to use a bunch of levels to get it up to anything decent, levels that could be used on VIT or STR or SKL.

Make STR a priority since Saw Cleaver prioritize Strength over SKL For your information, though it would seem that 30 to 40 leveling up STR or SKILL give you diminishing returns, at 40-50, in my experience with various weapons, the damage gain was actually quite significant before stopping at 1 gain per point at 50 onwards.

VIT is incredibly important, however, For END, around 30 should be fine (or even 25); prioritize STR and VIT first. Once you're done with the essentials, you can then start pouring to stuff like Arcane or Bloodtinge to experiment if you want.

As for your Arcane question, I personally believe it wouldn't be worth your time unless you are willing to actually focus on Arcane and not just as a side thing. Saw Cleaver is not like Blade of Mercy/Burial Blade/Logarius Wheel in that it applies Arcane and STR/SKL for its damage; once you inserted an elemental gem in it, *all* the damage will be calculated based on Arcane and Arcane only.

Bebpo

Banned
Thanks, I should probably also add that I have no interest in PvP, new game+, Chalice Dungeons. I just want to build a strong character so I can beat the story including optional best ending bosses solo and see the story through.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Thanks, I should probably also add that I have no interest in PvP, new game+, Chalice Dungeons. I just want to build a strong character so I can beat the story including optional best ending bosses solo and see the story through.

30 - 40 STR is more than enough if that is your goal. 25 Endurance is fine (especially with 10 + 15 % stamina runes), and 35-40 VIT should also be fine.

If you are aiming just to beat the game with no NG+ and beating all the bosses outside Chalice Dungeon, 40 STR + 40 VIT with 25 or 30 END is more than enough. Also no need to worry yourself over Bloodtinge and/or Arcane.

I just realized that this Cursed Ithyll glyph I shortrooted into is so useful that it'll actually come in handy for my poison weapon build. There's a dog there that drops cursed Murky Gems.

Once I'm done eating this pizza I definitely need to jot down that glyph and pass it around. I think I found like a Lost Rettersparch and Uncanny something or other on it too.

Bebpo

Banned
Man, I'm getting wrecked on Matyr Logarius. The first half is no prob and can dodge and counter and parry but when he goes crazy at 50% between his long range and fast movement and long combos + swords flying around I keep getting stunned into full life combos against me. Also hard to find a second to heal when swords keep flying at you and he keeps rushing and flurry of strong attacks. Dude is crazy old man.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Man, I'm getting wrecked on Matyr Logarius. The first half is no prob and can dodge and counter and parry but when he goes crazy at 50% between his long range and fast movement and long combos + swords flying around I keep getting stunned into full life combos against me. Also hard to find a second to heal when swords keep flying at you and he keeps rushing and flurry of strong attacks. Dude is crazy old man.

You can parry practically parry every melee attacks he throws at you, including that flying attack. If you dodge, dodge forward.

When he impale that sword to the ground, make sure to hit the sword to dispel it (you can also shoot it, it only takes 1 shot to destroy it) so you won't be harassed with all the flying swords.

Don't forget to equip Clawmark, it'll help tremendously.

I like him, he's a pretty fun fight (I like all bosses that can be parried, hahaha.) Also, he is one of the most popular bosses for beckoning bells/resonant bells to sound, so you should most probably have no problem enlisting someone to help.

Bebpo

Banned
Nah, haven't started Byr yet.

Was able to beat him but goddamn that was a tough fight. I think the hardest part is honestly the camera and trying to track where the heck he is when he's flying around and you're trying to take out the sword on the ground. Kept moving but still would get jumped in the back either by him or flying swords. Just baaaarely beat him. But glad he's done.

Now I think I've got all the optional stuff done at this point so I'll get back to the story and do Byrgenwerth.

Soulhouf

Frenzy doesn't consume the entire life bar. As long as your health is full, you'll loose something like 80% (it varies with your insight).
The strategy I'm using against the brain guys: attack as much as I can and when they do the grab attack I just circle around them (no roll/dash, it's easier to dodge that way), attack again until they die, heal to max, wait the frenzy to take out your health bar and heal again.
BTW there are a good frenzy resist rune(+200) in the Forbidden Woods. If you equip it, you'll have enough time to kill the brain guy before the frenzy takes effect.

Regarding your build, I would rise vitality and then priorize skill over strength because once you're past 25 in any attack stat, the attack bonus is halved when you level up. So even if skill scaling is not as good as strength, you'll get more bonus because of that.

NEO0MJ

If anyone has data that disproves any of my claims, please go ahead and post it. Dissecting this stuff is both enjoyable and enlightening, it's the kind of discussion I really like to see.

My biggest problem with parrying is that it's easy to mess it up if the gun doesn't aim right. Using the blunderbuss helps but then you have to shoot faster.

My biggest problem with parrying is that it's easy to mess it up if the gun doesn't aim right. Using the blunderbuss helps but then you have to shoot faster.

I have no idea how it is possible to miss with the Hunter Pistol unless:

1. They're jumping to the side, which you can't parry that anyway
2. It's an NPC or PVP player that knows how to get in your face and past your gun, which the blunderbuss will also miss

What happens when it's cursed and what's the recommended level for that? I might try when I get back from work.

If you want to input the glyph, then you'll have to have made your own FRC Ithyll first so technically the recommended level is whatever you beat Ithyll at. You can probably get somebody to help you join it via password and shortroot (I don't know if this actually works, though.)

Cursed makes it like Defiled dungeon and cuts your HP in half, but you get cursed gems instead of regular gems.

Bloodborne doth take away, but Bloodborne doth also giveth!

After squandering my 10.5 million echoes, I finally got a not-shit (Beast ATK down) 27.2 Triangle Gem - Merciless Watchers in 5pwujscd; incredibly easy run - completing the 27.2 suite on my Reiterpallasch and bringing the bonus damage to a ridiculous +425. It's a beast.

And on top of that, I nabbed a nice little 27.7% Bloodtinge gem.

Now to sit back and rarely use them because I'm burnt out as fuck on this game. Woohoo!

NEO0MJ

I have no idea how it is possible to miss with the Hunter Pistol unless:

1. They're jumping to the side, which you can't parry that anyway
2. It's an NPC or PVP player that knows how to get in your face and past your gun, which the blunderbuss will also miss

I think it happened most often with Shadow, the move where they crouch and then uppercut always avoids the parry.

I think it happened most often with Shadow, the move where they crouch and then uppercut always avoids the parry.

Okay I see.

Stuff like that is more the exception than the norm, usually. More to do with that attack than the parrying system in general. If anything there should be more attacks like that in the game.

If you want to input the glyph, then you'll have to have made your own FRC Ithyll first so technically the recommended level is whatever you beat Ithyll at. You can probably get somebody to help you join it via password and shortroot (I don't know if this actually works, though.)

Cursed makes it like Defiled dungeon and cuts your HP in half, but you get cursed gems instead of regular gems.
Where do you even get the material to make the crazier chalice dungeons?

I actually haven't memorized the location of each ones. I just know that on my first character where I did all of the side areas in standard chalices I just happened to have mats for making additional rite dungeons.

It's occuring to me that I just shared a dungeon glyph that almost nobody can actually use.

Top Bottom