• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

HildyB

I lost my save when my PS+ expired. I decided to play offline, and for some reason I had to reinstall random things like themes, some digital titles, and the patch. Then it couldn't find my save. So I was like, oh maybe it's just because I don't have PS+. So I ordered a card and had 2 days to wait, played a new game. No biggy, wanted to try a new build anyway.

2 Days later, plug in my code for PS+. And it uploads my new game overwriting my 80 hour save >_<;

spliced

I was at 30 insight, but I spent it at the shop just to get it down and got it down to 4 insight. Still get instant kill murdered if I try to sprint past eyeball guy or if I run up and kill him in a single combo really quick (why does frenzy meter keep rising after he's dead!?!).

Will come back later after I can buy sedatives. This area really, really burned me out. Been loving the game and all the areas up until now but everything about this area was so frustrating and filled with 1 hit death kills (the boulder throws form a distance that 1 hit KO and poison lake is so awful). This single area pretty much killed me desire to play the game any further for a bit. Hopefully this is the worst area in the game.

I felt the same way, it''s the only area in the game I didn't explore fully because I wasn't having any fun. It was just joyless difficulty.

Just before the Frenzy guy you can drop off the edge to the ledge below and carefully make your way past him that way. If you come up behind him you can hide behind a rock and when he turns and walks the opposite way you can sneak behind him and backstab him and if you have a powerful enough weapon you'll kill him without him having a chance to attack.

I think I need to do either Great Isz or Lower Loran to get the last 2 Red Jelly items required to open the final Dungeon (for the Trophy).

Any recommendations on which is easier or has better Gems etc? Happy to do both really, but if I can basically skip one, I will.

Melchiah

I did check the cloud, but there was only one old save...

I wanted to help a friend with a boss, turned on the ps4, i don't know why the power went off, corrupted data :(

And that's actually the first time ever that happen to me

That's very frustrating, especially when there's only one save file. That's why I check the save file on the server is up to date from time to time. Now, I kinda want to make an extra copy on a USB-stick as well just in case.

Rymuth

Any tips on how to beat Watchdog of the old lords in the Defiled dungeon? I'm using Ludwig's L2 attack and I can get him down to 1/2 but its here that things become problematic.

Artex

Banned
I think I need to do either Great Isz or Lower Loran to get the last 2 Red Jelly items required to open the final Dungeon (for the Trophy).

Any recommendations on which is easier or has better Gems etc? Happy to do both really, but if I can basically skip one, I will.

I had to farm some Ritual Blood (5) before I could open it, I think because I had to create another Chalice to farm the Jelly. If you need depth 5 ritual blood like I did; use this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgHwk91gUwg

Any tips on how to beat Watchdog of the old lords in the Defiled dungeon? I'm using Ludwig's L2 attack and I can get him down to 1/2 but its here that things become problematic.

It just takes forever, but you need to hit him once after he breathes the fire then back off (which I think you are probably doing since you say you're using L2). If you do co-op, it's much easier and you can be on your way.

Rymuth

It just takes forever, but you need to hit him once after he breathes the fire then back off (which I think you are probably doing since you say you're using L2). If you do co-op, it's much easier and you can be on your way.
The Paw/Fire attack is what messes up my rhythm and the fights length kinda makes my concentration drift the longer it goes. :/

MUnited83

For you.
Best chalice dungeons to farm gems? I've done every dungeon required for the final one but I didn't get any great gems for my TC. I'd like to find some good +attack radial ones.

Took me forever, I got co-op help in the end as he didn't want to play. I think he's the toughest boss in the game so far (done all the story and dungeons up until this one).

Feindflug

Best chalice dungeons to farm gems? I've done every dungeon required for the final one but I didn't get any great gems for my TC. I'd like to find some good +attack radial ones.

If you want high level physical radials then Pthumeru Ihyll depth 5 dungeons are your best bet, keep in mind that cursed dungeons mean cursed gems though. Also equip some runes to increase your discovery.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Got the game last week... the World/Level Design is absolutely absurd.
From Software Level Designers are friggin' masters.

The game itself is great too! But the Level Design totally blows my mind.

Artex

Banned
From Software Level Designers are friggin' masters.

The game itself is great too! But the Level Design totally blows my mind.

Yeah the way it all intertwines with the shortcuts is just brilliant. You open some gate and you're like "holy shit, I'm back here?!"

Bebpo

Banned
Frenzy doesn't consume the entire life bar. As long as your health is full, you'll loose something like 80% (it varies with your insight).
The strategy I'm using against the brain guys: attack as much as I can and when they do the grab attack I just circle around them (no roll/dash, it's easier to dodge that way), attack again until they die, heal to max, wait the frenzy to take out your health bar and heal again.
BTW there are a good frenzy resist rune(+200) in the Forbidden Woods. If you equip it, you'll have enough time to kill the brain guy before the frenzy takes effect.

Regarding your build, I would rise vitality and then priorize skill over strength because once you're past 25 in any attack stat, the attack bonus is halved when you level up. So even if skill scaling is not as good as strength, you'll get more bonus because of that.

That's what I keep reading, but that wasn't true for me for whatever reason. At 30 VIT with around 1100HP, I'd kill the eye brain guy without getting hit and have full HP and then the frenzy meter maxes and it kills me instantly "YOU DIED" screen 100% HP.

This happened at 30 insight so I went and spent all my insight at the shop and went back at 4 insight and it still killed me with a full life bar.

Eventually farmed the Lecture Hall Floor 1 theater room and got a bunch of sedatives and just killed eye guy and used one right away and it was fine. But yeah I have no idea why it was an instant death status effect for me when everything I'm reading online says it should only be bringing you to near death.

You probably weren't paying attention to your hit points when you were getting frenzied.
The actual "bolts" that hit you will do damage in of themselves.

Also I recommend
having the +200 frenzy rune. No other form of frenzy resistance is viable. The changes Insight makes is fairly minimal.

Just killed the hunter NPC (NG+) in
Grand Cathedral
legit for the first time, and it was so very satisfying. Took me 4 or 5 attempts with Blade of Mercy. No parrying.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Yeah the way it all intertwines with the shortcuts is just brilliant. You open some gate and you're like "holy shit, I'm back here?!"
Indeed! I had like 5 moments like that ... and yesterday i was breaking some coffins and stuff and BAM! i found another crazy shortcut.

BASED FROM SOFTWARE!

gunbo13

Dissecting this stuff is both enjoyable and enlightening, it's the kind of discussion I really like to see.
par·ry
ward off (a weapon or attack), especially with a countermove.

It is a parrying system by definition and a good one at that. Your warm up and cool-downs are balanced by those designing the combat. However, they are also balanced by animation. Gunshots are designed to animate properly alongside melee. Enemy designers are not doing to restrict all attacks to specific warm-ups and animators are not going to ship clunky animations. Therefore you will have psychic parries (maybe), fast up-close parries (due to bullet travel & attack speed), and slower parries. If you want to make psychic parries go away, you need to change the enemy designs (not smart) or have an absurdly fast start-up for gun-shots (also not smart). Or you could just let some attacks be faster then most players can handle (best choice). Does this push players to a distance? Yes but so what. It's how the vast majority play the title and nobody is making you do that. You have i-frames on dodge to use instead as well.

Distance parries are perfectly fine. The objective is to interrupt attacks and you have a gun. It's nonsensical to not permit range parries with a firearm. That's the logical progression of parrying with a firearm vs. a melee weapon. Take it away and you are doing melee parries. Play another game if that's the want.

Trades are fine. Having the regain system means that you create a sub-game within the combat. If you get hit, sometimes you can roll back into the enemy, regain, and get a visceral. Sometimes you are put into a position and can't, eating the damage. That's what risk/reward is and it was a successful parry, so you earned that chance. There are other ways to do it but this is a good choice.

Frame analysis needs conclusions. Start-up and cool-downs are properly tuned. The only meat on this discussion is the existence of psychic parries. Counting frames to prove there is only a fraction of a second to respond is not a conclusion. You need to take a fast attack, use video capture plus frame analysis to isolate the parry window, run the numbers to calculate time data, and use video to show if they are psychic. Even more in depth would be to test and factor in lag, controller, display, etc... And even if they exist, all BB does is join a lot of other action titles out there including the best of the best.

The only issues I have with the parry system is that it is too forgiving (windows are too large) and there is no way to differentiate a parryable attack from a non-parryable.
Quite amazing stuff indeed. If only time wasn't a factor and some of the levels had a bit longer to bake.

Menome

86 Hours in and finally finishing up the game. Here's my character as she was dressed for the final third or so of the game:

pbTUVAH.png

My final stats before going into the final boss(es) area. Please note the 15 Vitality:

And finally, here's me (after many attempts) completely stomping
Gehrman
in under two minutes after a shaky start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6dwOXjyn-M

Another failed attempt...

Got him down to 1/4 of his health.

I swear, he was predicting my moves at the end. O_O

In that phase the dog will lure you to get closer and try the three hits combo on you, you have to predict where to do a hit and backup, when it reachs 15% it will do a final charge attack.

Menome

And there we go. Done.

True Ending was...shorter than I expected. Going to check the others on YouTube as after two months of playing Bloodborne, I need to get on with different games now.

Rymuth

In that phase the dog will lure you to get closer and try the three hits combo on you, you have to predict where to do a hit and backup, when it reachs 15% it will do a final charge attack.
A third phase? Damn it, should have made a mental note of it.

Stupid dog.

cormack12

Gold Member
Hit the first pain in the ass area for me personally just now. Nightmare frontier. The enemies actually aren't that bad, the real enemy is the swamp and direction. Not even sure I'm going the right way.....

Also, this area feels like it just had no effort put into it compared to the game up to now :/ Feels like it's there just to pad the levels out, and then enemy designs have just dropped off completely. Probably serves as a good grinding ground I guess.

Anyway, I drop into the swamp and run basically North until I see a yeti on the floor in a little tunnel. Deal with him then come across this weird brain on a body with insect eyes and tentacles? First time I just get too close and he eats me. Second time I'm not sure what happens, I have a full health bar, activate arcane for my weapon and engage with it. I get these weird red and black pipes on my character and then I'm dead - no idea wtf happened??

Am I heading the right way to unlock the shortcut to the lamp and boss at least? Also, is this where I access the lecture hall ground floor from? I've already been taken there by the tonsil stone, but there's another floor?

Cheers

Bebpo

Banned
Hit the first pain in the ass area for me personally just now. Nightmare frontier. The enemies actually aren't that bad, the real enemy is the swamp and direction. Not even sure I'm going the right way.....

Also, this area feels like it just had no effort put into it compared to the game up to now :/ Feels like it's there just to pad the levels out, and then enemy designs have just dropped off completely. Probably serves as a good grinding ground I guess.

Anyway, I drop into the swamp and run basically North until I see a yeti on the floor in a little tunnel. Deal with him then come across this weird brain on a body with insect eyes and tentacles? First time I just get too close and he eats me. Second time I'm not sure what happens, I have a full health bar, activate arcane for my weapon and engage with it. I get these weird red and black pipes on my character and then I'm dead - no idea wtf happened??

Am I heading the right way to unlock the shortcut to the lamp and boss at least? Also, is this where I access the lecture hall ground floor from? I've already been taken there by the tonsil stone, but there's another floor?

Cheers

Yes, it's miserable, I guess fitting for a Nightmare. I just went through it yesterday.

Eyeball guy causes Frenzy status ailment which grows when you're nearby and even after you kill him. When the meter fills you go POP and either die or apparently can survive with a slimmer of health. Either get Frenzy resistance +200 rune from the forest or just farm the theater room in the lecture hall until you get a sedative and take one of those before your frenzy meter fills completely and you die. There's a shortcut after that before the boss area to the start area.

There's also another shortcut after 3 boulder throwing guys, it'll get you the HP+10% rune which is not bad.

cormack12

Gold Member
Eyeball guy causes Frenzy status ailment which grows when you're nearby and even after you kill him. When the meter fills you go POP and either die or apparently can survive with a slimmer of health. Either get Frenzy resistance +200 rune from the forest or just farm the theater room in the lecture hall until you get a sedative and take one of those before your frenzy meter fills completely and you die. There's a shortcut after that before the boss area to the start area.

Ah, will have to go back to hunters dream and swap runes out then. Must have been a fast build up, I usually pick up on frenzy (e.g. Cainhurst), and poison (e.g Forbidden woods) - that bar must have filled up pretty swiftly after appearing!! Not sure if I have high RES gear though.......

Defiled Layer 3
THOSE SNEAKY BASTARDS... :D
I noticed in the corner of my eye in a corridor I had already come from was a new enemy. Just sort of sitting there waiting.. I carried on through the area, up some stairs and then I looked down from where I had been, and the fucker had moved and was waiting for me. I got to the last room and got the grand chest, and Bold Hunter Marked the fuck outta there :D I could hear it breathing and lapping its tongue. If I wasn't carrying 200k of Vials I probably would of taken it on.

Pretty cool though that they put that enemy in there that is hunting you down basically. Creepy :D

Right, boss time, then its on to the last but one dungeon. Great Isz or Lower Loran..

Nightmare of Mensis

Just made contact with the Brain of Mensis....

This is probably the coolest thing I have seen in a videogame, ever. I can't believe Fromsoft actually used that gesture in a meaningful way in the game. I already thought it would be crazy if the gesture has some effect in game and then it actually has. Unbelieveable.

I'm slowly realizing that this is probably the best game I have ever played. I do not remember ever being this faszinated by a game. What a masterpiece.

methane47

JESUS JESUS JESUS JESUS JESUS!!

Just entered the Nightmere realm... and was crossing a bridge and all of a sudden i saw that a bell ringing woman rang a sinister bell.... I PANICKED and high tailed it back to the lantern.... when i was like 50 feet away from the lantern i saw a red hunter coming up towards me... HOLY CRAP i almost crapped my pants...

I was like wtf i didn't ring MY bell how did he get in..
He looked at me and bowed. I started praying... and then the match was on...
I feel like i could have had him like two different times. if only i understood the mechanics better.

He was using the heavy version of the holy blade and i used my two handed ax... I got him down two times to within a sliver of his life... so he started backing away to heal.. i would run after him but he would alwyas get it off. after like 2 minutes of back and forth we were both down to like half health... at which time i backed off to heal.. and he shot me! i was stunned! he shot and shot and shot and shot... i was stun locked wtf? i didn't know getting shot when you heal puts you in a stun lock..

anwywyas he shot me over and over until i had barely any health so i gave up trying to run around to heal and rushed him.. got him pretty low but he sealed the deal with a wide swing

holy crap... now i'm afraid to continue the game...

I DID IT! I DID IT!

DIE, YOU STUPID DOG! DIE! AHAHAHAAH!

Congratz, its better to those bosses alone, coop made them kinda impossible to kill.

JESUS JESUS JESUS JESUS JESUS!!

Just entered the Nightmere realm... and was crossing a bridge and all of a sudden i saw that a bell ringing woman rang a sinister bell.... I PANICKED and high tailed it back to the lantern.... when i was like 50 feet away from the lantern i saw a red hunter coming up towards me... HOLY CRAP i almost crapped my pants...

I was like wtf i didn't ring MY bell how did he get in..
He looked at me and bowed. I started praying... and then the match was on...
I feel like i could have had him like two different times. if only i understood the mechanics better.

He was using the heavy version of the holy blade and i used my two handed ax... I got him down two times to within a sliver of his life... so he started backing away to heal.. i would run after him but he would alwyas get it off. after like 2 minutes of back and forth we were both down to like half health... at which time i backed off to heal.. and he shot me! i was stunned! he shot and shot and shot and shot... i was stun locked wtf? i didn't know getting shot when you heal puts you in a stun lock..

anwywyas he shot me over and over until i had barely any health so i gave up trying to run around to heal and rushed him.. got him pretty low but he sealed the deal with a wide swing

holy crap... now i'm afraid to continue the game...

Thats the BB experience for you

MUnited83

For you.
Was doing Cursed Pthumeru Ihyll (optional) for gem farming. Turns out that the final boss is Headless Bloodletting Beast.

nopenopenope.png

Yahargul with its bell ringing bitches at every turn and Nightmare Frontier with its shit ass level design can kiss my fucking ass. Oddly enough I was in the Frontier and it summoned some random guy with a burial blade that I managed to kill with one visceral attack. How is this guy that weak when he managed to get the Burial Blade?

MUnited83

For you.
Yahargul with its bell ringing bitches at every turn and Nightmare Frontier with its shit ass level design can kiss my fucking ass. Oddly enough I was in the Frontier and it summoned some random guy with a burial blade that I managed to kill with one visceral attack. How is this guy that weak when he managed to get the Burial Blade?
Just means he didnt invest much in vitality at all.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
That's what I keep reading, but that wasn't true for me for whatever reason. At 30 VIT with around 1100HP, I'd kill the eye brain guy without getting hit and have full HP and then the frenzy meter maxes and it kills me instantly "YOU DIED" screen 100% HP.

This happened at 30 insight so I went and spent all my insight at the shop and went back at 4 insight and it still killed me with a full life bar.

Frenzy caused by the Brain Trust enemies *damages* you even before the Frenzy meter itself is filled (notice your character gets assaulted by various transparent spears).

Frenzy's "explosion" will never kill you if you are at full health so you just probably didn't notice that Frenzy damages your HP before the explosion at full Frenzy occurs.

Essay

Just made contact with the Brain of Mensis....

I didn't get much spoiled for me in my first playthrough, but this was the one thing I wish I found out on my own. I went looking for
the brain after its Demon-Souls-deja-vu plunge, but overlooked the elevator down, assuming it just fell into a bottomless abyss
. I suspected from the start that
the make-contact gesture was something special, if only because of where we find it, and the motion's out-of-place absurdity compared to the other more socially-explicable gestures
. It was just a matter of finding a
Great One to direct it at who wouldn't disembowel me instantly

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Why is it that during the
red moon, Byrgenwerth still shows a white moon?

Probably because
it is surrounded by a huge body of water.

It is said that for some reason huge bodies of water can act as a buffer that impede the powers of a Great One, IIRC.

Am I missing something with clock tower guy? Can't visceral him, do shit damage, he's resistant to fire....

Plus there's no shortcut straight to him :/

the guy didnt survived the damage due being poor on vitality and probably you invested plenty of points on STR/Skill.

Why is it that during the
red moon, Byrgenwerth still shows a white moon?

Thats a good question, Is the old man still alive in your world?.

Am I missing something with clock tower guy? Can't visceral him, do shit damage, he's resistant to fire....

Plus there's no shortcut straight to him :/

The crow? Is a
hunter of hunters

the guy didnt survived the damage due being poor on vitality and probably you invested plenty of points on STR/Skill.

Thats a good question, Is the old man still alive in your world?.

The crow? Is a
hunter of hunters
I know but I have no idea how to beat him, is he mandatory? Can't find the next lantern.

Deimo5

Defiled Watchdog was fun to fight ha, heard so much raging over him.
It's one of my favourite bosses to fight in general, maybe that helped.

Top Bottom