• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
how was I supposed to know what resistances were important :(

got the watchdog of the old lords in the third level of my first chalice dungeon, only level 34 or something

should I just give up and try again later?

Well there are other gears that worked better in particular resistances than Gascoigne's. Black/White church for example, afford better Poison Resist (though lower Physical) and Tomb Prospector gear afford you better Arcane resist with still decent Physical. Gascoigne's is a good "middle-ground" gear is all, but not terribly important.

As for the Chalice Dungeon, you can go back there anytime, it doesn't change and it doesn't scale. So if you feel like it's being too rough, you can always go strengthen your character and come back at any point later.

am i actually supposed to fight the guys in the gulag or just run past them

oh what the shit, and now this giant boss, nope nope nope

done for the day fuck that

it seems I went the wrong way, oops

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
...wow, and I just finished defiled Watchdog on first try too...I am on a roll today....

That or the Ludwig is op or something.

Amy is going to be the hardest, isn't she...

As if there's any doubt about that :p

Great reach, has Blunt and Thrust, cause extra damage to enemies vulnerable to Church Weapons in both its form, equal scaling B and B in Strength and Skill, and it can even be buffed!

I like Burial Blade a lot more though.

As if there's any doubt about that :p

Great reach, has Blunt and Thrust, cause extra damage to enemies vulnerable to Church Weapons in both its form, equal scaling B and B in Strength and Skill, and it can even be buffed!

I like Burial Blade a lot more though.

I like the Burial Blade more too, but need to farm more chunks + rocks for it.

I've spent my rocks to +10 Ludwig and Axe.

And yes, abusing Ludwig's reach been amazing...

mulac

Beat Vicar Amelia at the weekend. I've unlocked the Forbidden Forsest lantern and Charnal Lane lantern.

Now I want to just farm blood echoes (from BSB Wolves area) and get my arcane up at 15 (currently 11) to use the Old Hunter Bone + the sweet dash and dodge upgrade that comes with it - all this before attacking the Witches.

What's the best approach here? do Charnal Lane before Forbidden Forest?

Also is that the best place to easily farm lots/of echoes - also doing the ice giants at the Upper Cathedral but those guys now its night are actually tougher than before!

Farming Blood Echoes is my new favourite past time :)

Went to the wiki to see what skill weapons there were and got hit with a decently big spoiler :/

If I'm going for a skill build should I get Ludwig's Holy Blade or wait out for the next skill weapon and just upgrade my Threaded Cane more?

Ebrietas is impossible. And I'm only getting worse at her every attempt.

Don't lock on to her and just keep rolling till you can get to her sides or stuck between her "tails."

Pop a bolt paper and attack away, keep rolling/running back to her sides/back when need to.

When she's down or "sings" start rolling as far away from her until you see her laser attack finish.

Repeat.

Strategy applies to both regular or chalice version.

Don't lock on to her and just keep rolling till you can get to her sides or stuck between her "tails."

Pop a bolt paper and attack away, keep rolling/running back to her sides/back when need to.

When she's down or "sings" start rolling as far away from her until you see her laser attack finish.

Repeat.

Strategy applies to both regular or chalice version.
No lock on for Ebrietas is a bad idea. Tried that once and it didn't work at all.

Ferr986

No lock on for Ebrietas is a bad idea. Tried that once and it didn't work at all.

I always do it without lock on too, it works better for me with Ebrietas and some other bosses.

Actually, his strategy is what I always use, especially the get stuck between her tails lol

There's a much better way to defeat Ebrietas than just going behind her tails and rely on luck.

The key here is to stay near her, to avoid her doing the dash attack (you want to be just slightly in front of her head) and lure her head slams or tentacle swipes (a more easier swipe than the one she does when you are at a certain distance, which has longer reach).

She does the tentacle swipe? dash to her chest and hit her (with the kirkhammer you can use dash forward + R1 for a vertical attack that will hit her head), back to the distance just slightly in front of her head.

She does the head slam? If you are at the right distance a single back dash (or even not moving), you will evade it and you'll have a perfect chance to strike. There's 2 versions, a quick one when she jumps back as she does it, and another that has slightly more warmup, which will have longer reach. Act accordingly depending of which one she uses (if you feel you can't evade in time, just sidestep it)

Also being in front of her means you can easily reach for a visceral attack when she is stunned (actually I love charging my R2 kirkhammer as soon as the stun animation starts, hit her as soon the head reaches the floor and the RE1 for visceral attack).

Later parts of the fight and a bit more tricky to get right, when in doubt dash to her chest to evade her other possible attacks. Also at the end of the fight she will start firing lasers, evade by dashing like mad around here.

Tips:

- Lock on to her body, not to her head.

- She will try to "fly" away from you from time to time is ESSENTIAL that you run to her to be close again before she lands. Because if you aren't near her when she does, you might activate a rush attack, and you don't want that (because is deadly and hard to evade)

Went to the wiki to see what skill weapons there were and got hit with a decently big spoiler :/

If I'm going for a skill build should I get Ludwig's Holy Blade or wait out for the next skill weapon and just upgrade my Threaded Cane more?
LHB is actually a pretty good weapon that I stopped using when I got the Blades of Mercy. If you can still invest some points into strength without it taking forever then yeah buy it, it's gotten me out of some jams and is good for certain things you want to stagger. I'm trying not to use it on my second character though. I'm trying to go nothing but skill and bloodtinge on my second character though I still have to level up vitality and endurace every so often.

Skii

...wow, and I just finished defiled Watchdog on first try too...I am on a roll today....

That or the Ludwig is op or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCeo8ezmw8U

Amy is going to be the hardest, isn't she...

It definitely is. Basically, if you want the "easy" mode for this game, you roll with Ludwigs and the Cannon. Obviously not as OP as magic in Demon's Souls but strength builds in PVE are definitely the best imo.

spliced

I don't know why but I never feel like I'm in the groove fighting TOR. There always seems to be a boss like that in every SoulsBorne game for me. I still have one more method I'm excited to try for my next play through.

On the other I muderized the CE with the LHB in 20 seconds and 5 hits. I know it's easy but it still surprised me.

Fighting that hunter in Grand C I've become more convinced charge attacks are the way to go(at least with high damage weapons). The way he moves around slowly seems like it's put in to give you time to get the charge off. I have no idea how much or what causes him to heal but I missed him so many times with numbing mist I've given up on them and I just hope I get lucky and he doesn't heal much.

I mostly enjoy the Ebrietas fight. Both times through the game I fought her from a distance just because I had more fun that way. Her ground charge gets me almost every single time, I can't figure out that one. Her swooping charge gives me a lot of problems too but I think maybe I can figure something out with that one as I get more practice.

Pretty easy way to beat the Mensis hunter is to
run past him to the elevator and go down to the lamp and warp out and back in, then just go back the way you came and he can be backstabbed. I thought for sure he'd turn around, but no I was able to get him and took out a huge portion of his health.

Rozart

Okay, so I just killed the Watchdog in the defiled chalice (finally!) but lo and behold, next up is the freaking Amygdala. Had a lot of trouble dealing with its counterpart at the Nightmare Frontier-- my strategy back then basically boiled down to tanking its attacks as I whittled down its HP by slashing at its tail. Something which I can't do anymore seeing as how my health bar has been halved. I'm even getting one-shotted by almost all of its attack now.

Am I really just supposed to constantly dodge all of its attacks? At least with the Watchdog I managed to get some sort of rhythm going on. With this one, I feel like I'm just frantically rolling about, praying that I'll get lucky and not get instantly killed again.

Could really use some helpful tips. :(

Okay, so I just killed the Watchdog in the defiled chalice (finally!) but lo and behold, next up is the freaking Amygdala. Had a lot of trouble dealing with its counterpart at the Nightmare Frontier-- my strategy back then basically boiled down to tanking its attacks as I whittled down its HP by slashing at its tail. Something which I can't do anymore seeing as how my health bar has been halved. I'm even getting one-shotted by almost all of its attack now.

Am I really just supposed to constantly dodge all of its attacks? At least with the Watchdog I managed to get some sort of rhythm going on. With this one, I feel like I'm just frantically rolling about, praying that I'll get lucky and not get instantly killed again.

This is how I did it:

First, you don't use lock-on in the entire fight. Do it freestyle.
During the first two phases you keep moving in front of it. Always be in front of it but keep enough distance to evade in the right time.
Bait its ground slam attacks. Everytime it slams its hands to the ground and lowers its head you will have a windows of few seconds in which you directly go for the head or the arms and deal one or two hits.

When it jumps, stand still! Don't move. It will land with its head right in front or behind you. You can actually charge up a R2 attack when it jumps in the air and strike right when it lands. 99% of the the it won't hit you with the jumps.

Keep going until you get to the third phase, where Amygdala rips its hands off.
Now it's time to go behind it. Quickly get behind its feet and stay there for the rest of the battle. Attack the feet. It will take just as much time to finally kill her is it took to reach phase 3, so be patient. When it jumps it either jumps away from you or it simply jumps on the spot and turns 180 degrees to face you. In the latter case you just stand still.
Then get behind it and keep attacking the feet. Just watch out for the foot stomps. Should be easy to dodge as long as you're not constantly attacking.

Keep doing that the entire last phase and Amygdala should be down sooner or later.

I am there too, spent hours on her this weekend.

My strat is this, and I can get to the final phase (arms ripped out) without using any Vials at all (which for me, is a fucking miracle).

- Stand in front at a safe distance, but not so far back that you get lasered.
- She will do front arm slams.
- At these points, just do one or two hits on them there.
- It takes a while but is really effective. I was trying and trying running around the sides but I kept getting stomped or swiped, it didnt work for me.

The last phase I can do, but have died from a foot stomp unlucklily, and a few times too :( I just hang round her bakc legs and slowly take her health down. Annoying :(

Check this vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3oeT4_-9aQ

When I've done it I am going to upload my footage too.

This is how I did it:

During the first two phases you keep moving in front of it. Always be in front of it but keep enough distance to evade in the right time.
Bait its ground slam attacks. Everytime it slams its hands to the ground and lowers its head you will have a windows of few seconds in which you directly go for the head or the arms and deal one or two hits.

When it jumps, stand still! Don't move. It will land with its head right in front or behind you. You can actually charge up a R2 attack when it jumps in the air and strike right when it lands. 99% of the the it won't hit you with the jumps.

Now it's time to go behind it. Quickly get behind its feet and stay there for the rest of the battle. Attack the feet. It will take just as much time to finally kill her is it took to reach phase 3, so be patient. When it jumps it either jumps away from you or it simply jumps on the spot and turns 180 degrees to face you. In the latter case you just stand still.
Then get behind it and keep attacking the feet. Just watch out for the foot stomps. Should be easy to dodge as long as you're not constantly attacking.

Keep doing that the entire last phase and Amygdala should be down sooner or later.

NO FUCKING WAY?!?!?!

Sorry, I am being real. You can stand still and you wont get stomped?

Amygdala never jumped on me ONCE in over 30 tries. It's a common strategy from what I've read here. Everytime it jumps in the air it lands with its head just right in front of you, or right behind you just by standing still.

Amygdala never jumped on me ONCE in over 30 tries. It's a common strategy from what I've read here. Everytime it jumps in the air it lands with its head just right in front of you or right behind you.

Well, shit. That will help a lot. And for the final stage when she jumps, same then too?

Well, shit. That will help a lot. And for the final stage when she jumps, same then too?

Same too. I saw videos where Amy jumps away from you but in my case it just jumped on the spot and simply turned 180 degrees. But it's still safe to just stand still.

But follow it should it jump away from you.

I even saved the footage of me beating it. I'll upload it soon.

Same too. I saw videos where Amy jumps away from you but in my case it just jumped on the spot and simply turned 180 degrees. But it's still safe to just stand still.

But follow it should it jump away from you.

Thanks man, this will really help with the last part of it! :) *Hugs*

I'm just wondering because I read something but I presume its wrong (I hope so).

So my brother and I want to coop in Bloodborne if I help him beat a boss can he then come and help me beat that same boss in my game?

Rozart

I am there too, spent hours on her this weekend.

My strat is this, and I can get to the final phase (arms ripped out) without using any Vials at all (which for me, is a fucking miracle).

- Stand in front at a safe distance, but not so far back that you get lasered.
- She will do front arm slams.
- At these points, just do one or two hits on them there.
- It takes a while but is really effective. I was trying and trying running around the sides but I kept getting stomped or swiped, it didnt work for me.

The last phase I can do, but have died from a foot stomp unlucklily, and a few times too :( I just hang round her bakc legs and slowly take her health down. Annoying :(

Check this vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3oeT4_-9aQ

When I've done it I am going to upload my footage too.

This is how I did it:

Thanks for the tips! Was having trouble even getting her to the final phase. Going back in to try them out now. Sounds like this boss fight is going to be a long and grueling one.

Deimo5

Ihyll Descendant is such a dick. Looks like you can continually back-visceral him by interrupting his weapon mod transition though? I'll have to try that.

butman

I just want to say that i had the most beautiful and satisfactory sword dance moment in my entire Souls games history:

Beating Shadow of Yharnam alone is one of the most rewarding sensation in my gaming life.

Finally was able to take down the defiled dungeon. Watchdog wasn't so bad once I started using the hit the head strategy I saw on youtube.

Amygdala was still very tough because even if you get it low you have to be a little lucky to dodge the jumps. I found going to hit the legs then running for one quick hit on the head to keep him confused helped and I finally got it

Finally was able to take down the defiled dungeon. Watchdog wasn't so bad once I started using the hit the head strategy I saw on youtube.

Amygdala was still very tough because even if you get it low you have to be a little lucky to dodge the jumps. I found going to hit the legs then running for one quick hit on the head to keep him confused helped and I finally got it

As stated above, you don't need to dodge the jumps. You just stand still and it won't hit you.

MUnited83

For you.
Amygdala never jumped on me ONCE in over 30 tries. It's a common strategy from what I've read here. Everytime it jumps in the air it lands with its head just right in front of you, or right behind you just by standing still.

Yep, this is how I beat Defiled Amygdala. Like 50 jumps and didn't get hit once.

I'm pretty sure Defiled Amygdala is tough, but is the strategy of bolt paper on the threaded cane and the running R2 attack in whip form to his head and then visceral when he's staggered still valid? Because that's what I did when I fought the original and he got wiped the fuck out.

kewlmyc

I'm pretty sure Defiled Amygdala is tough, but is the strategy of bolt paper on the threaded cane and the running R2 attack in whip form to his head and then visceral when he's staggered still valid? Because that's what I did when I fought the original and he got wiped the fuck out.

Yeah, but just don't get hit. Not even once.

myco666

Well depends if you were "overleveled" when fighting it the first time. But as long as your damage output is good it should work. The problem of that fight is her damage output though so you need to know how to dodge everything and bait out moves to do highest amount of damage.

Stand still is another good advice :p

Well depends if you were "overleveled" when fighting it the first time. But as long as your damage output is good it should work. The problem of that fight is her damage output though so you need to know how to dodge everything and bait out moves to do highest amount of damage.
I was level 76 when I fought the base level one so yeah I'm pretty sure that's over leveled.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Beat
The One Reborn
over the weekend. I played enough of Demon's Souls to catch exactly what they the game was getting at during the intro cutscene, and I was kind of surprised at how easy it was to make him collapse.

And the
three-hunter
encounter nearby was a bitch. I got oneshotted
by the cannon
. :p

how was I supposed to know what resistances were important :(

got the watchdog of the old lords in the third level of my first chalice dungeon, only level 34 or something

should I just give up and try again later?

I took on that chalice pretty much right after I beat Blood-Starved Beast, and it was a huge pain in the ass because I did so little damage and got hit so hard.

I managed to do it eventually, but I had to learn an answer to pretty much every single attack. So I think you either learn him to that level, or come back later when you're more leveled to give yourself a bit more wiggle room.

Here's my clear of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dXcAaNIp_8

And I agree with the other people about keeping your spare armor. Every now and then you'll find an area or a guy where things look like they fight with certain elements or certain status effects, and then suddenly armor that is resistant to those things is more valuable than armor that has high physical defense. You get moments like "Oh, that guy's attacks look magical, so maybe I'll try putting on this armor with magic resist," and sometimes you're rewarded for those hunches by taking less damage. You don't get a lot of souls from selling those things anyway, so it doesn't hurt to have like 10 sets of clothes on you.

Top Bottom