• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Soulhouf

how was I supposed to know what resistances were important :(

got the watchdog of the old lords in the third level of my first chalice dungeon, only level 34 or something

should I just give up and try again later?

From the look of it I assume you're playing Bloodborne like a traditional RPG, i.e. once you get a better piece of equipment, the previous one becomes obsolete.
Be aware that it's not the case here. There is no best weapon/attire in the game. Outside of the obvious useless ones (Foreign Set and the regular torch) all the equipment and weapons you get are useful so keep them.
Not to mention that it's good to change your attire from time to time because some of them look really awesome. Gascogne set in particular looks fantastic on a male character.

From the look of it I assume you're playing Bloodborne like a traditional RPG, i.e. once you get a better piece of equipment, the previous one becomes obsolete.
Be aware that it's not the case here. There is no best weapon/attire in the game. Outside of the obvious useless ones (Foreign Set and the regular torch) all the equipment and weapons you get are useful so keep them.
Not to mention that it's good to change your attire from time to time because some of them look really awesome. Gascogne set in particular looks fantastic on a male character.
So far one of my favorite looking sets is Bone Ash for some odd reason and the Knight set. Even some of the earlier stuff is still good like the Ashen set. I think it has the best Frenzy resistance so it's good for Nightmare Frontier. I do need to get Cainhurst Armor, but do I piss off Alfred by joining the vilebloods? Not really in the mood to fight him because I'm not sure what the timing for his quest is.

Soulhouf

So far one of my favorite looking sets is Bone Ash for some odd reason and the Knight set. Even some of the earlier stuff is still good like the Ashen set. I think it has the best Frenzy resistance so it's good for Nightmare Frontier. I do need to get Cainhurst Armor, but do I piss off Alfred by joining the vilebloods? Not really in the mood to fight him because I'm not sure what the timing for his quest is.

There is no drawback in joining the Vilebloods outside of having to fight people who summon you if they are in the opposite covenant.

Platimun got.

I got the last ending using the cloud save "trick", I didn't wanna to play a third time anytime soon. Gotta play other games.

Overall, this is one of the best games in the last years, and probably up there with Demon Souls as the best Souls game. If they can improve the few mistakes on the next game, I'm gonna like this way more than Dark Souls (hell I don't think I can go back)

There is no drawback in joining the Vilebloods outside of having to fight people who summon you if they are in the opposite covenant.
Well that's interesting. I've actually never dealt with the summoning aspects of most of the Souls games. I've only dealt with certain aspects of it in Dark Souls so I can get the ring of fog.
Okay then it probably won't work on defiled then but atleast try it.
I probably won't even start dealing with the Defiled Chalices until NG+ so I'll probably cheese him from afar with Evelyn because I think I'll be leveling up the bloodtinge on my first character after I eventually beat this thing, though knowing this game that won't work either.

I'm watching EpicNameBro's permadeath no level speed runs, these things are great and funny at the same time.

myco666

I probably won't even start dealing with the Defiled Chalices until NG+ so I'll probably cheese him from afar with Evelyn because I think I'll be leveling up the bloodtinge on my first character after I eventually beat this thing, though knowing this game that won't work either.

I recommend to leave it to NG+ since I did it in NG and it made the last boss a total joke since I was super overleveled. High bloodtinge Evelyn +9 or +10 and BMA should do good damage but best strategy is to bait attacks that have long cooldown so that you can go melee up her face.

I recommend to leave it to NG+ since I did it in NG and it made the last boss a total joke since I was super overleveled. High bloodtinge Evelyn +9 or +10 and BMA should do good damage but best strategy is to bait attacks that have long cooldown so that you can go melee up her face.
Oh, so if I'm super leveled my original strategy might just work out then. I'll cross that bridge when I eventually get to it. I can only imagine what the level layout of Defiled Chalice is because the Pthumeru and Hintertomb dungeons are quite different. Enemy placement must be a torture test as well.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Is there a way to leave covenants? I joined the Vilebloods for the equipment unlocks, but I'm not actually interested in the online effects of the covenant.

myco666

Oh, so if I'm super leveled my original strategy might just work out then. I'll cross that bridge when I eventually get to it. I can only imagine what the level layout of Defiled Chalice is because the Pthumeru and Hintertomb dungeons are quite different. Enemy placement must be a torture test as well.

IMO the dungeon part of Defiled Chalice wasn't that bad. They are really short and don't have that many enemies. Mobs will kill you instantly though but just playing careful should make it manageable.

Is there a way to leave covenants? I joined the Vilebloods for the equipment unlocks, but I'm not actually interested in the online effects of the covenant.

Oath runes (the fourth block) is covenant slot and you can just change that to other one or remove it totally to get out of covenant. Swearing an oath with Vilebloods doesn't make you part of the covenant only equipping covenant rune.

Finally started my new character, the one I intend to try to use poison in PVP.

Decided to shy away from the 70Vit/30End/20 Str plan and go for 60Vit/30End/30Str because I wanted to incorporate the Cannon into the idea. This makes my character a modest strength build.

Upon character creation I accidentally made my character look like Ryan Gosling, so this build has become a Ryan Gosling cosplay. (I haven't seen any of his movies).

I went with the Saw Cleaver over Saw Spear this time because with the Saw Spear I found myself just using transformation attacks for crowd control anyway. Hunter Axe makes sense statistically but I wasn't interested in it.

Started to use the Small Resonant Bell as soon as I got it. Not even 20 minutes into this fresh character I got summoned into this guy's NG+4 world because he managed to get there at a low enough level to summon new characters into NG+4.

Major gameplay strategy spoilers:
This is my first time actually using Beast Blood Pellets and they break the game. Boss HP practically gets cut by 2/3rds because of how much damage you do with these + Fire Paper. Used one on Watchdog of the Old Lords, and then when Watchdog was at low HP I used another just to make sure I took it down.

NEO0MJ

Replaying the game, I'm just breezing through it. VA went down like nothing. It really helps to have experience and a plan.

Akuun

Oath runes (the fourth block) is covenant slot and you can just change that to other one or remove it totally to get out of covenant. Swearing an oath with Vilebloods doesn't make you part of the covenant only equipping covenant rune.

Good to know. Thanks.

Finally had the opportunity to pick this up, and it's instantly thrown me back to feeling like I'm playing Demon's Souls.

I've gotten so accustomed to the Souls series that by Dark Souls II things weren't all that tough. I was also very much a shield user which certainly puts me at a disadvantage in this one.

Outside of reviews, I've done my best not to read into anything Bloodborne related, and it's made to a great start to the game. I'm getting my arse handed to me far more than I expected, and it's forcing me to learn again, and that's really what makes these games so much fun. Combat wise I'm loving it, the quicker pace leads to some very tense fights, even with the smaller enemies.

Definitely a tougher start to this than I expected, especially right after coming out of DSII SOTFS, but loving it none the less.

Between this and the Witcher, I'm set for games for quite some time now!

Doomsayer

Damn, this game is fucking insane.

I think I'm level 91 or 92 right now, just doing finished the Lower Pthumeru Chalice. The Bloodletting Beast was an intense fight. Got him after the 6th try or so. I noticed I'm really inconsistent sometimes; like sometimes I'll die quicker then it will take to load after a death and other times I'll get him 1/5th of his health and get wrecked (rekt). Oddly enough though - Rom in layer 3 gave me the most trouble. Such an annoying boss fight. Hintertomb Chalice is next, then onto Defiled.

In terms of the main story - or optional in this case - I just took down the Celestial Entity and Ebrietas. Ebrietas was a bitch and a half and so satisfying. So far, this game is kicking my ass. In terms of bosses though - I still think I struggled most with the Cleric Beast. At that point I was still learning and just getting absolutely wrecked. The Blood Starved Beast is probably the most recent boss that absolutely fucked my shit up. I just went off on a huge tangent.

So I killed the One Reborn and then did the Upper Cathedral Ward. How far am I in the main story?

Damn, this game is fucking insane.

I think I'm level 91 or 92 right now, just doing finished the Lower Pthumeru Chalice. The Bloodletting Beast was an intense fight. Got him after the 6th try or so. I noticed I'm really inconsistent sometimes; like sometimes I'll die quicker then it will take to load after a death and other times I'll get him 1/5th of his health and get wrecked (rekt). Oddly enough though - Rom in layer 3 gave me the most trouble. Such an annoying boss fight. Hintertomb Chalice is next, then onto Defiled.

In terms of the main story - or optional in this case - I just took down the Celestial Entity and Ebrietas. Ebrietas was a bitch and a half and so satisfying. So far, this game is kicking my ass. In terms of bosses though - I still think I struggled most with the Cleric Beast. At that point I was still learning and just getting absolutely wrecked. The Blood Starved Beast is probably the most recent boss that absolutely fucked my shit up. I just went off on a huge tangent.

So I killed the One Reborn and then did the Upper Cathedral Ward. How far am I in the main story?

One more zone and you are done with the main story

I am playing really slowly but I am enjoying this game so much. It really makes you feel, when you pull of a tricky encounter, like you are a big dick G.

Case in point:

http://a.pomf.se/tiyojo.webm

Just want to get to a point where I can start playing coop with my brother, I look forward to it.

NEO0MJ

I was so ready to use the Evelyn but after checking the wiki it only becomes better than the piston at bloodtinge 30? That's way to high for NG. Maybe I should switch to arcane instead, as I'm not sure how much i'll like the Chikage. Though I already have Bloodtinge at 15...

2AdEPT

Anyone read this Bloodborne analysis from reddit?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k7ST7Ysc9I3s6zLXr-DOzWjoAtu6afOOCaU3ucCdBDk/edit?pli=1

90 pages, fascinating shit and really well written, most interpretations directly backed by evidence from the game.

Should be added to OP imo.

I dont want to burst anyone's bubble...but the genius in the lore of souls and bloodborne lies in NOT having any right anwers. They allude to a story, but there never has and likely never will be a definitive story or document that can be cross referenced to find the right answer. If people are so compelled to write a dissertation length interpretation, that is their choice, but I thought it strange that the opening lines showed that this guy even hinted that there could be a "right" interpretation. There simply never is. Even the most obvious statements on the item descrptions etc. never amount to much more than an allusion to a story with precious detail omitted to the extent that there really isnt any point in trying to "figure it out." The most we can hope for from reading the descriptions is to recognize trends in whatt weapos are used and what garb and why....rarely is the lore consequential to figuring out how to do your playthrough. Until FROM software releases their original storyboards on each game, I will reserve the idea that they didnt even have one. It saves a tonne of time and energy not having a story, but still giving the allusion to one so that it feels like a real immersive one like LOTR or Narnia etc. I think most of the brilliance of their desrcriptions is that they sound plausible, when really the statements are alwasy vauge, intentionally unprovable and near random.

I dont want to burst anyone's bubble...but the genius in the lore of souls and bloodborne lies in NOT having any right anwers. They allude to a story, but there never has and likely never will be a definitive story or document that can be cross referenced to find the right answer. If people are so compelled to write a dissertation length interpretation, that is their choice, but I thought it strange that the opening lines showed that this guy even hinted that there could be a "right" interpretation. There simply never is. Even the most obvious statements on the item descrptions etc. never amount to much more than an allusion to a story with precious detail omitted to the extent that there really isnt any point in trying to "figure it out." The most we can hope for from reading the descriptions is to recognize trends in whatt weapos are used and what garb and why....rarely is the lore consequential to figuring out how to do your playthrough. Until FROM software releases their original storyboards on each game, I will reserve the idea that they didnt even have one. It saves a tonne of time and energy not having a story, but still giving the allusion to one so that it feels like a real immersive one like LOTR or Narnia etc. I think most of the brilliance of their desrcriptions is that they sound plausible, when really the statements are alwasy vauge, intentionally unprovable and near random.
How about you read the thing before you judge? For every chapter he first describes facts that can be collected by the item descriptions. Then he goes on and interprets the given info on his own and he does it REALLY well as he backs any of his claims immediately with exerpts of the game.

And saying that there is no clear story at all is far fetched and not true. What defined Souls games so far in terms of story is that a lot of plot points are open to interpretation, not that the whole plot is. And Bloodborne is not different in this regard. The essay even mentions a lot of points that are unclear and the given interpretation is only a possible one. But then there are facts, as to how the Healing Church was founded, what happend in Old Yharnam and how the Scourge spread, and those facts are not easy to understand in the first place.

So I think that this documents is simply amazing as it just pieces together the puzzles that are given in the game and add some interpretation to it without claiming it to be the truth (and he really states that before every single interpretation). Great read!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Two things I've been wondering about.

1)

In my first playthrough, I clearly remember, every now and then, seeing Gehrman in the area with the stump messengers (the ones you can give little hats to). When talking to him he'd just mumble on some stuff, seemingly sleep-talking to Laurence, I don't remember clearly what he said because it was a while ago.

To this day, in NG+ or NG++ or in my newer playthroughs, I've revisited this same area at different points of the game and I have never seen him again.

So what triggers these appearances? I kind of want to re-hear what he was saying now that I know more about the game's lore and story, but I can't get him to re-appear there.

2)

The first time I co-oped, I was helping a friend with Rom during my first playthrough. We used a password and he rang his bell in Byrgenwerth. When I arrived in his world, it spawned a bell maiden. We got invaded, killed the invader, then later killed the bell maiden. So I assumed that summoning a cooperator opened yourself to invasions. This was before the first main patch (the one that improved loading times).

But, I've been doing a coop playthrough now with two different people (as of the most recent patch), and we haven't had a bell maiden spawn at all so far. We cooped Cleric Beast, Father Gascoigne, Blood-Starved Beast, Darkbeast Paarl (pre-Rom, from the Hypogean Gaol kidnapping), and the first Pthumeru chalice dungeon.

So how does this work exactly? I thought that beckoning a cooperator would automatically spawn a bell maiden, but it appears it doesn't anymore? Is it random, only in specific levels, or what?

Akuun

How do you give the hat to the messengers anyway? I have a few items like that but I don't know what to do with them.

How do you give the hat to the messengers anyway? I have a few items like that but I don't know what to do with them.

It's behind the house in the hunters dream, there's a hidden path to the left of the backdoor. Where the top of the chalice tombstones are.

Soulhouf

1) It's completely random. Across my 4 characters it was a hit or miss but it seems that the speech changes depending on how much incense you have.

BTW I once came back to the Hunter's Dream and was surprised when I found the Doll mumbling to herself "Oh Flora of the Moon" or something like that. I was like WTF? I have no idea what she was talking about...
I only had it once and never happened again since.

2) I most definitely saw the bell maiden in Central Yharnam in NG+ 2 days ago when co-oping. Perhaps the world where you were summoned, your beckoner already killed the bell maiden?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
1) It's completely random. Across my 4 characters it was a hit or miss but it seems that the speech changes depending on how much incense you have.
...Incense? WTF? Like what the NPCs burn to keep monsters away? Can you actually find some?

2) I most definitely saw the bell maiden in Central Yharnam in NG+ 2 days ago when co-oping. Perhaps the world where you were summoned, your beckoner already killed the bell maiden?
No, it was a fresh campaign.

Does anyone know a quick way to get red jelly? I only need 2 more for the final chalice dungeon and I really dont want to have to go through two more dungeons just to find some...

HOLY SHIT. Beat the defiled dungeon today. Don't think I've felt that challenged/rewarded by a game in such a long time. Particularly after the Watch Dog fight, which will probably go down as one of my favorite boss fights (mainly because of getting into such an intense rhythm during it).

This game is really just too good. One of the most compelling games that I've ever played, I think.

Bebpo

Banned
Where do I get ritual blood (1)? I need them for the 2nd chalice dungeon but I have a bunch of ritual blood (4) and later and other items but don't have ritual blood (1) and I don't know where to get it?

Late Flag

I had no serious problem with upper cathedral ward on my first playthrough (high-ish level w/ Ludwigs), but this has been fucking bullshit with my second character (mid-level w/ BoM). I have no issue at all with most of the brainsucker enemies, but the one at the top of the ladder just murders me with his undodgeable paralysis spell and his cheap-ass attacks.

I have beast roar so it's not like I have no way of knocking this guy down. But the paralysis spell in such a narrow, confined area is shitty design. It feels like a vitality check.

HOLY SHIT. Beat the defiled dungeon today. Don't think I've felt that challenged/rewarded by a game in such a long time. Particularly after the Watch Dog fight, which will probably go down as one of my favorite boss fights (mainly because of getting into such an intense rhythm during it).

This game is really just too good. One of the most compelling games that I've ever played, I think.

Yes, this. Defiled Watchdog is now one of my favorite boss fights ever, and clearing that chalice gave me a huge feeling of accomplishment.

joecanada

Anyone available to help out on the level 3 defiled chalice boss? I am getting my butt kicked...

Hey I'm also curious about this. Now that there's no level cap are there any helpful mercs around here willing to help out with some heavy defiled bosses on the weekend?

Hey I'm also curious about this. Now that there's no level cap are there any helpful mercs around here willing to help out with some heavy defiled bosses on the weekend?

I am always up to help people :-D
Shoot me a message on psn whenever you want to play and we'll partake in jolly cooperation if i'm online

ZeroRay

BTW I once came back to the Hunter's Dream and was surprised when I found the Doll mumbling to herself "Oh Flora of the Moon" or something like that. I was like WTF? I have no idea what she was talking about...
I only had it once and never happened again since.

Had it happen to me twice.

I'm pretty sure the "Flora" the doll is referring to (ending spoilers)
is the Moon Presence.

Fine, I'll bite again.
Your warm up and cool-downs are balanced by those designing the combat. However, they are also balanced by animation. Gunshots are designed to animate properly alongside melee. Enemy designers are not doing to restrict all attacks to specific warm-ups and animators are not going to ship clunky animations. Therefore you will have psychic parries (maybe), fast up-close parries (due to bullet travel & attack speed), and slower parries. If you want to make psychic parries go away, you need to change the enemy designs (not smart) or have an absurdly fast start-up for gun-shots (also not smart). Or you could just let some attacks be faster then most players can handle (best choice). Does this push players to a distance? Yes but so what. It's how the vast majority play the title and nobody is making you do that. You have i-frames on dodge to use instead as well.
Warmup/cooldown timing design almost certainly was established before animations were finalized. Designing player actions doesn't make sense any other way. If the presentation of actions got in the way of their practicality that's a really basic design failure. Animation believability shouldn't take priority over gameplay concerns.

Distance parries are perfectly fine. The objective is to interrupt attacks and you have a gun. It's nonsensical to not permit range parries with a firearm. That's the logical progression of parrying with a firearm vs. a melee weapon. Take it away and you are doing melee parries. Play another game if that's the want.
Arguing that it's nonsensical to not permit ranged parries if parrying is tied to a gun doesn't address any of my points when my entire premise is that parrying and the idea of guns should've been separate. Yes, I think that going back to a more melee style of parrying would be superior, and most of my big post is dedicated to explaining why.

Trades are fine. Having the regain system means that you create a sub-game within the combat. If you get hit, sometimes you can roll back into the enemy, regain, and get a visceral. Sometimes you are put into a position and can't, eating the damage. That's what risk/reward is and it was a successful parry, so you earned that chance. There are other ways to do it but this is a good choice.
The scenario you seem to be describing is when you get knocked down on a parry trade. Getting knocked down isn't a risk/reward element, it's a definite factor. An attack that knocks you down always will, ones that don't never will. There's nothing to gauge, no chance involved. I can't make sense of what you're saying.

Frame analysis needs conclusions. Start-up and cool-downs are properly tuned. The only meat on this discussion is the existence of psychic parries. Counting frames to prove there is only a fraction of a second to respond is not a conclusion. You need to take a fast attack, use video capture plus frame analysis to isolate the parry window, run the numbers to calculate time data, and use video to show if they are psychic. Even more in depth would be to test and factor in lag, controller, display, etc... And even if they exist, all BB does is join a lot of other action titles out there including the best of the best.
Some attacks are properly tuned to the parry timing (or the parry timing is tuned to some attacks, depending on how the developers' design flow actually worked), some aren't.

I've come to a conclusion already: there are attacks that are physically impossible for what is likely to be the vast majority of people to parry with a judged reaction, despite the fact that they are vulnerable to parries and hard to distinguish from other attacks. Are you arguing that "psychic" attacks (by "psychic" I assume you mean attacks that aren't possible to parry on a judged reaction) don't exist or that they're just not impossible to parry on a judged reaction for every player? You seem to be arguing both, and it's really confusing. If you're arguing the former, I'd refer you back to my big post where I lay out again how it is indeed possible, and if you're arguing the latter I'll ask again that you fulfill that specific request I made ages ago:
Parry the first hit of Gascoigne's 3 hit light combo in his first form with a judged reaction multiple times (at least 3) in a single video.

Fimbulvetr, parrying can be punished in this game. This isn't bad design. You're supposed to parry at farther than up close range. This also isn't bad design.

What you're looking at is how you can punish parry attempts in PVP, by getting in their face with quick attacks, except you're letting Father G do this on purpose trying to make a point.

Parrying is punishable? I mean, duh. That's so fundamental to it that the whole concept of parrying makes no sense without it. I spent a lot of text explaining how parrying at range is bad design in my big post, a whole section; please read it.

Father G is just a convenient example because I already have footage of him on hand. If you really need other examples I can get them. I don't know what you're trying to say with the PVP scenario.

EDIT: Oh wait, I think I see what you mean with the PVP thing. Are you saying that punishing the opening frames of a parry is a serious tactic in PVP? Can you describe a scenario where that would be viable? I'm no PVP expert, but that seems like it would be extremely rare. "Punishment" mostly calls to mind the idea of hitting someone in their parry cooldown. In any case, what I'm talking about is much more PVE focused, so that's not really an argument against me unless using parry warmups to your advantage is a big thing in PVP. That would be an advantage to long warmup periods that I didn't know about.

They were fully aware that you can parry at range. They made some mobs extremely aggressive for this reason (and the reason that they can also punish back dashing). They also made the reposte window far smaller than in Dark Souls 2 for this same reason.

EDIT: Oh wait, I think I see what you mean with the PVP thing. Are you saying that punishing the opening frames of a parry is a serious tactic in PVP? Can you describe a scenario where that would be viable? I'm no PVP expert, but that seems like it would be extremely rare.
There is an NPC hunter in the game that will do this to you (it is intelligently programmed compared to any other NPC hunter in the game, whereas Father G is a very dumb NPC hunter in comparison.)

Basically players that get up close are able to get attacks in and the other player can't just mash L2 to get a lucky parry (unless they want to take serious damage I suppose).

The reason I mention PVP mechanics is because Father G uses the Hunter's Axe, so some of his attacks are balanced for PVP in that regard. He's still very easy to parry because his AI is exploitable which is fine because he's the first boss in the game.

VertPin

Does anyone think that a Bloodborne expansion trailer + information on the expansion will be shown off at E3?

Looking very forward to it. Bloodborne is the best souls game and best game of all time.

NEO0MJ

Does anyone think that a Bloodborne expansion trailer + information on the expansion will be shown off at E3?

Looking very forward to it. Bloodborne is the best souls game and best game of all time.

It would e a good way to have something for the holiday season. But it also might be too early to show anything substantial. I mean they only had three months to work on it.

VertPin

It would e a good way to have something for the holiday season. But it also might be too early to show anything substantial. I mean they only had three months to work on it.

True...Gamescom or TGS, perhaps. I'm assuming it is also a holiday release.

Top Bottom