• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

cormack12

Gold Member
From the way your stat spreads you'd be better off with something like Saw Spear (really, it's great) or level up 4 more for Ludwig and go from there.

However, your stat spread is also ideal for Burial Blade, since it scales well with SKL, and is strengthened by STR (don't let the D STR scale and B Arcane fools you; Burial Blade gets more attack from raising STR than Arcane; however raising them both up, after SKL of course, will bring out the full damage potential of the weapon.)

Cheers, will give those weapons a go later. Haven't changed from the cane at all :)

Rozart

Aaa, so that's it. Emblem -> Vicar Amelia -> Rom. I forgot that you'd get the Hunter Chief Emblem from the Cleric Beast. Had it mixed up with the Radiant Sword Hunter Badge. Heard that Old Yharnam was optional and was wondering how people were skipping the whole machine gun sequence.

Nah, but it's ok since he will be friendly even after he shot at you provided you met with Paarl (you don't have to beat it, just meeting with it is enough) and approach from behind (Paarl's or Blood Starved Beast's lamp).

Edit, actually you can (see NEO0MJ's post below v) but I wouldn't recommend it.

Wait, really? That's good to know. One more layer in what I hope is the last chalice dungeon anyway and I'm off to Old Yharnam to make friends with Djura.

Feel like I've nerfed myself a bit in my build. These are my stats, and I have Ebrietas and nightmare of Mensis to so. Here are my stats approaching end game (overall level is 73 I think from memory).

VIT:31
END:30
SKL:28
ARC:15
STR:12

I'm noticing more that I'm locking myself out of alternatives like the cannon, and can only just wield the Tonitrus +7. Cane seems low damage compared to STR weapons, but I'm basically looking at a grind to use things like the cannon and Tonitrus effectively now right?

Weird, things like Rom and Emissary were really easy. Even the One Reborn, but the more challenging bosses are those one on ones like Amygdala and Amelia for sure. It's fun, but I think a STR build has more weapons and is more scalable in this game than SKL so far. Or I have just got a mish mash of stats? I really wanted the arcane for Beast Roar....
You might also want to think about using the Blades of Mercy with the cane if you have access to it. It scales really well with the skill stat after you level it up a bit. It might be more up close and personal than what you want, but I've been doing pretty well with it, I don't think I'm using that on Ebrietas though. Amygdala wasn't even hard when I fought her, but I was level 76 with like 36 points in skill probably.

Talking about Djura...Is there anyway to get to Paarl before triggering him and his machine gun?

Haha, grats! Just managed beat her yesterday as well. My hunter just stood there stunned in disbelief for a moment. Your tips really helped me out!

What weapon are you using? The Ludwig's thrust attack is extremely effective against her.
LHB+7 with bolt paper. L2 attack.

Platinumed the game yesterday, which is something I never thought would happen with a Souls game. Definitely my favorite game in quite some time.

I also think it's brilliant how such a good boss is hidden away at the end of all the chalice dungeons (
the Pthumerian Queen
). That was a fun fight.

I know a lot has been discussed about the chalice dungeons but man they're so disappointing. From should have just went full Lovecraft and made the Chalice dungeons "At the Mountains of Madness", don't give it a element of randomness and fully layout a ancient ruins that was uncovered (which is something it was going for but didn't do a good job of it). Have massive murals on the walls telling a story of what happened to the place, and more key items to give us more info. They made specific enemies and bosses for them, they just needed to tie it all up a bit better. As it is they are just an exercise in monotony. It feels like they thought of "At the Mountains of Madness" when they approached the idea of the Chalice dungeons but half assed it, and also the random element forced them to make mostly uninteresting and greatly repeated rooms.

Rest of the game is gold.

NEO0MJ

But by doing this you'll be missing out an NPC. And free early Tonitrus.

You can just not kill Djura and visit him later.

I was being a bit literal :p

Platinumed the game yesterday, which is something I never thought would happen with a Souls game. Definitely my favorite game in quite some time.

I also think it's brilliant how such a good boss is hidden away at the end of all the chalice dungeons (
the Pthumerian Queen
). That was a fun fight.

How long does it take to reach her? What the shortest way? I don't want to take on more dungeons than I have to.

PranooY

I am doing the Chalice Dungeons now with my Bloodtinge build level 67 character. Currently doing Lower Pthumerian Labyrinth (Depth 3) Layer 3. I have Vitality 30 and Insight 60. But the bosses and some of the enemies one-shit kills me in here. Its turning out to being a pain. Should I lower insight or increase my Vitality? Should I level up more for these areas?

Also Does having higher insight result in more damage or something?

I am doing the Chalice Dungeons now with my Bloodtinge build level 67 character. Currently doing Lower Pthumerian Labyrinth (Depth 3) Layer 3. I have Vitality 30 and Insight 60. But the bosses and some of the enemies one-shit kills me in here. Its turning out to being a pain. Should I lower insight or increase my Vitality? Should I level up more for these areas?

Invest a little more in health unless you are pretty confident in doing no damage runs because everything will one shot in the incoming chalices, and yes more insight makes the enemies stronger

Insight dosn't afffect damage, only lowers Frenzy resistance, and not by that a huge margin that it really becomes more than a mere nuissance as long you have the proper rune.

You should increase your VIT, is not really lower, but having around 50 vit on the layer 4 and 5 dungeons will make your life waaaaay more easier. Unless you really plan to make that character a PvP focused one and want to destroy people with high level gems and weapons.

Invest a little more in health unless you are pretty confident in doing no damage runs because everything will one shot in the incoming chalices, and yes more insight makes the enemies stronger

Only some enemies gets new attacks and buffs, no effects on chalice dungeons foes.

PurpleSquid

Neo Member
so i finally beat the fat spider boss in the lake. some girl with a bloody dress came out of no where and when i got near her it just took me to a loading screen and spawned me somewhere else. the new place where im at is just brutal. huge difficulty spike out of no where, like if the game wasn't hard as it was. now enemies respawn without me even going to the lantern and the respawn doesn't even drop echos... like why are they coming back? such a pain in the ass. my friend told me this is where he dropped the game, i can totally see why.

PranooY

Insight dosn't afffect damage, only lowers Frenzy resistance, and not by that a huge margin that it really becomes more than a mere nuissance as long you have the proper rune.

You should increase your VIT, is not really lower, but having around 50 vit on the layer 4 and 5 dungeons will make your life waaaaay more easier. Unless you really plan to make that character a PvP focused one and want to destroy people with high level gems and weapons.
My current build is a PvP focused Bloodtinge build. Didn't want to increase the level, since its harder to find matches at higher levels.

So guess I'll backup the current save in a USB and do/finish Chalice Dungeons. And when I wish to do PvP, I'll restore the level 67 save.

Grexeno

so i finally beat the fat spider boss in the lake. some girl with a bloody dress came out of no where and when i got near her it just took me to a loading screen and spawned me somewhere else. the new place where im at is just brutal. huge difficulty spike out of no where, like if the game wasn't hard as it was. now enemies respawn without me even going to the lantern and the respawn doesn't even drop echos... like why are they coming back? such a pain in the ass. my friend told me this is where he dropped the game, i can totally see why.
The enemies are being respawned and buffed by a bell-ringing woman. Run through the level, find her, and kill her.

Skii

Find the woman that rings the bell in that area. If you think that part is hard, you're in for a treat after the next lamp lol.

Old Yharnam is a really great area. The whole 'we don't go to Ravenholm' vibe, the cool enemies, and now I'm at the boss and it seems pretty intense. Only got it down to 2/3 health my first go.

Probably the creepiest area I've come across thus far as well. That werewolf jump scare got me good.

E the Shaggy

Is there a good resource for listing out the chalice dungeons? I feel like they offer a ton of materials that I don't necessarily know all the combinations for.

Blood starved beast is fucking haaaard. I can get him down to 20% but he gets so aggressive and poisonous that I spend all my time dodging him that I can't get any hits in. And it's kind of irritating having to continuously farm vials, antidotes, and bullets every 4 attempts or so.

Really like the fight, he's got an awesome moveset and its in a cool location, I just wish I didn't have to keep farming supplies for 15 minutes to fight him again.

How long does it take to reach her? What the shortest way? I don't want to take on more dungeons than I have to.

Probably took me 10 hours to do all the chalice dungeon stuff. I actually enjoyed them quite a bit though, even the Defiled nonsense. And the first two dungeons were extremely easy because I was way overleveled.

All total, you'll have to do the five main Pthumerian chalices, and then two others (Loran and Isz) that you get from optional bosses (for materials).

PurpleSquid

Neo Member
The enemies are being respawned and buffed by a bell-ringing woman. Run through the level, find her, and kill her.
alright i think i found her. is there only 1 in the whole map or are there multiple ones spread across the map?
Find the woman that rings the bell in that area. If you think that part is hard, you're in for a treat after the next lamp lol.

not a treat, the game is hard but im enjoying it. this part is total bs and just makes me not want to play. if it gets more bs than this i might actually take the same path as my friend and drop the game as well.

Grexeno

alright i think i found her. is there only 1 in the whole map or are there multiple ones spread across the map?
not a treat, the game is hard but im enjoying it. this part is total bs and just makes me not want to play. if it gets more bs than this i might actually take the same path as my friend and drop the game as well.
There are 4 total in Yahar'gul

Soulhouf

Blood starved beast is fucking haaaard. I can get him down to 20% but he gets so aggressive and poisonous that I spend all my time dodging him that I can't get any hits in. And it's kind of irritating having to continuously farm vials, antidotes, and bullets every 4 attempts or so.

Really like the fight, he's got an awesome moveset and its in a cool location, I just wish I didn't have to keep farming supplies for 15 minutes to fight him again.

It's easier to fight that boss lock-off. Circle around him counter clockwise and you'll be able get behind easily and attack.

Regarding farming blood vials, my advice in this game is to always spend your echos to buy vials to build a good stock in case you need it. Better do that than level up.

I popped in Bloodborne for the first time since beating it.

I never know what to do in NG+. What should I be leveling up? Should I get my END/VIT up until softcap and then take care of the rest? Should I be putting points into the attributes for new weapons?

It's easier to fight that boss lock-off. Circle around him counter clockwise and you'll be able get behind easily and attack.

Regarding farming blood vials, my advice in this game is to always spend your echos to buy vials to build a good stock in case you need it. Better do that than level up.

Alright, thanks I'll give this a go. Lock on was working pretty well for me though just because he's so quick I like to keep a bead on him at all times. And I definitely think I'm gonna buy a nice supply of items once I get some echoes.

Just fought Gascoigne with my new character and beat him on my first try. You really are better at this game on your second go around, god damn. This was a boss that I spent a fucking afternoon on and now I just beat him using only 5 blood vials. Level 23, which I don't think is too super leveled for the boss either.

highrider

Banned
Alright, thanks I'll give this a go. Lock on was working pretty well for me though just because he's so quick I like to keep a bead on him at all times. And I definitely think I'm gonna buy a nice supply of items once I get some echoes.

I stayed locked on but instead of wide dodges left or right I did tight ones going towards him. He kicked my ass and this was the only thing that consistently worked for me. Was able to beat him taking no damage just by dodging at a slight angle, but always in to him. Visceral attacks worked, but we're also hit or miss for me.

I stayed locked on but instead of wide dodges left or right I did tight ones going towards him. He kicked my ass and this was the only thing that consistently worked for me. Was able to beat him taking no damage just by dodging at a slight angle, but always in to him. Visceral attacks worked, but we're also hit or miss for me.

Interesting, I'll try this as well, thanks. I can only parry him reliably in his first phase, after that he gets too quick and I'm not sure how to time my shots with his more rapid combos.

HardRojo

About to enter the Defiled Chalice dungeon. What's a good place to farm Vials? I've never needed to farm but recently noticed I only got 20 in storage and I want to get well stocked on them before I attempt the last dungeons.

MUnited83

For you.
About to enter the Defiled Chalice dungeon. What's a good place to farm Vials? I've never needed to farm but recently noticed I only got 20 in storage and I want to get well stocked on them before I attempt the last dungeons.

Where are you in the story? Might be easier to just farm souls and then buy Vials with them.

Most effective route to farm vials directly that I found was the following:

Central Yarnham lamp
Go through the shortcut gate, kill enemy.
Enter the house that leads to the clerical beast bridge, kill all enemies.
On the bridge kill the werewolves and the giants.
Go down again and go where the two giants before the elevator to the fire boulder bridge are, kill those giants.
Take the elevator down, cross the fire boulder bridge, kill at least the giant that sent the boulder.
Go up the stairs before Gascoine area and kill the two dudes that are facing the other way.
Use Hunter's Mark to respawn at the lamp and make a new run.

This nets 15-20 vials per run.

HardRojo

Where are you in the story? Might be easier to just farm souls and then buy Vials with them.

Most effective route to farm vials directly that I found was the following:

Central Yarnham lamp
Go through the shortcut gate, kill enemy.
Enter the house that leads to the clerical beast bridge, kill all enemies.
On the bridge kill the werewolves and the giants.
Go down again and go where the two giants before the elevator to the fire boulder bridge are, kill those giants.
Take the elevator down, cross the fire boulder bridge, kill at least the giant that sent the boulder.
Go up the stairs before Gascoine area and kill the two dudes that are facing the other way.
Use Hunter's Mark to respawn at the lamp and make a new run.

This nets 15-20 vials per run.

NG+ already. About level 160 and about to face Mergo's Wet nurse.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Interesting, I'll try this as well, thanks. I can only parry him reliably in his first phase, after that he gets too quick and I'm not sure how to time my shots with his more rapid combos.

Yep, many times the occasions of rolling *forward* serving as a much better option, especially if you are familiar with utilizing the invincibility frames that it offers.

Do you know you can parry her? Very satisfying to pull off, although her rabid successive attacks can't be parried I believe (though her jump forward and simple swipe can)

NG+ already. About level 160 and about to face Mergo's Wet nurse.

Hahaha.

If you are in NG+ just kill off all the students in the Lecture Hall in Lecture Building 1st floor. With all the Moon Runes equipped it can net you more than 100.000 echoes easily. Since vials only cost like 900, you can purchase 111 Blood Vials after only like what, a five minute run? 100.000 echoes is a relatively paltry amount anyways for a NG+ run, especially if you are already progressing as far as almost completing Nightmare of Mensis.

Rozart

About to enter the Defile Chalice dungeon. What's a good place to farm Vials? I've never needed to farm but recently noticed I only got 20 in storage and I want to get well stocked on them before I attempt the last dungeons.

I like to start from the Central Yharnam lamp and go down stairs into the house, grabbing some quicksilver bullets along the way. (All of this is done while killing all the enemies otw of course). Run up to the second level, go up to the bridge and clear all the enemies along it. The werewolves (the ones on this bridge anyway) and the fat giants almost always drop blood vials.

I'll jump down from the area with crumbled staircase (the one opposite to the set of stairs leading to the house) and proceed to kill the remaining two lumbering fat giants on the map. Depending on my mood, I'll either go back to Hunter's Dream or I'll take the lift up to the second bridge, trigger the ball of fire, kill all remaining enemies (including the two wolf men) and warp back to Hunter's Dream via Father G's lamp.

Edit: Beaten. That's what I get for leaving tabs open and forgetting about them.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
No, really guys, just kill the Lecture Hall students. Bonus in that they are very likely to drop Quicksilver Bullets too, so you will build your QS storage as well as gaining hundreds of Blood Vials in one easy swoop.

*Hundreds* of them. In a five minute run per session. Automatically farming QS bullets while you do it. And it's very easy with virtually no risk of dying (especially if you lure them to the entrance's door and kill them en masse there)

Can't beat that.

Just do any depth 4 or 5 chalice and kill grunts for echos would be faster anyway.

You only get 8-12 vials from the Central Yharnam run.

highrider

Banned
Ok, I'm in the unseen village thing from the cathedral. What's up with these robed spectre dudes? They are smashing me. I can get them one on one but when it's two I can't seem to survive it. I use the Ludwig blade/rifle both +3.

Also, when do you get more double blood shards? I have just one so my weapons are still stuck at +3..

Mollymauk

Ok, I'm in the unseen village thing from the cathedral. What's up with these robed spectre dudes? They are smashing me. I can get them one on one but when it's two I can't seem to survive it. I use the Ludwig blade/rifle both +3.

Also, when do you get more double blood shards? I have just one so my weapons are still stuck at +3..

Do you mean hypogean gaol? Were you kidnapped there? That's a great place to farm dual shards. You can get them from the bag men, who are easy to cheese.
Lure them down the stairs, and their path is blocked

Always approach them slowly so you can take on one without alerting the other (or bait one away with pebbles.)

They also drop the twin shards you want.

edit: if you're doing the cheese method, they're too tall to go through the lower stairs.

You dont need to farm. Once you got him down, you won't need to heal. I have fought him so many times I usually don't get hit at all. Lock on and dodge forward-left.

Is leveling STR up to 30 worth it in a bloodtinge blood for the cannon?

I wonder how much damage it could do?

I've played through twice but I'm saving bloodtinge build for DLC heh

NEO0MJ

Cannon is absolutely destructive. I was amazed by the damage it does. You'll need to be careful though as it burns a lot of ammo. Might be good to use Formless Oedon.

I'd probably say no unless your goal is to specifically maximize the damage of the Cannon. Bloodtinge can already do silly good damage with bloodtinge scaling guns, and its signature weapon runs off of skill for its one handed form.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

They're very easy once you know how to deal with them... well, at least in one and one situation. Just damage them a bit (with long weapons such as Axe 2nd form, Saw Spear/Cleaver 2nd form, charged attacks of Kirkhammer/Ludwig/Reiterpallasch etc etc) and then just run around them and visceral them from the back while they're powering up.

There is never a single situation where you can't lure any of those arseholes in a one and one situation, even for the dudes hanging about the cells area near the entrance to Paarl.

You can find a good number of Twin Blood Stones on the area as well. Also you can find them on the Hemwick area left of the Grand Cathedral.

The gains the Cannon get from Bloodtinge is very insignificant. To get a notable increase you're pretty much required to go over 50, which is of course hardly recommended. Besides, sustained shots of Evelyn or Repeating Pistol, with Bone Ash Marrow of course, is in my eyes much more preferable method to maximize damage than the Cannon, and in the end *will* deal more damage than just shooting with Cannon, all things being equal. .

PranooY

Just reached the first boss of Cursed Pthumerian Defilement chalice. Damn, Fuck this shit. You got only half the health for this entire chalice and the boss one-shot kills you with even with basic attacks, even though i have 40 vitality and am level 86. Any tips, guys/gals?

Top Bottom