• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

knitoe

Can anyone give me any tips on how to beat the hunter
in the Grand Cathedral? It's the one for Eileen's quest.
He's causing me way too much damage. One shot is all it takes to remove over half my health.

Easy or hard way?

Easy:
He's using a Chikage weapon. If switch to 2H, it does damage to the user. This, wait for him to switch to 2H, run far away, he will reset back to his starting place while still taking damage, let him die and profit.

Hard:
Dodge toward him, get in 1-2hits and repeat.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Got out of unseen village ASAP after getting my throat cut from behind from some hag.

Now I've managed to get behind that locked gate in the cathedral ward by going down that tower.

This area is hard as balls are you kidding me! All these white faced cultists and giant skeletons are stressing me out.

Edit: am I really bad or just under leveled? I tried the first chalice dungeon (the depth 1 you get after beating BSB) and that's really hard too. I'm level 26.
I don't think you're bad. I took on that chalice right after beating BSB too (I think I was at a similar level) and had a similar experience as you. The first boss hit super hard, and I hardly did any damage to him in return. He also gave me an interesting greeting: he came out of that spawn portal already in the middle of a leaping smash that hit me as soon as I was through the boss door.

I just started playing this game and I fucking suck. I'm having a tough time adjusting to the offensive nature of the game for some reason. I can't even beat the first axe-wielding guy in the first area (the big guy). I tried maybe 10 times and I keep dying. I fucking suck.
No you don't. That axe guy is super hard at that point in the game. I've played Dark Souls 1 to death and when I took on that guy, I got completely destroyed and my first thought was "This guy seems too tough. I don't think I'm supposed to fight him right now." I only went back to fight him after several bosses' worth of leveling up. Losing to that guy doesn't mean anything bad at all.

Atlas157

Can anyone help me with
Ebrietas
please?

Edit: Sent you the password, myco.

Edit 2: myco and I couldn't connect for some reason, so if anyone else wants to help I would appreciate it

myco666

Can anyone help me with
Ebrietas
please?

Sure. Set up password and send it to me. PSN: myco666

Easy or hard way?

Easy:
He's using a Chikage weapon. If switch to 2H, it does damage to the user. This, wait for him to switch to 2H, run far away, he will reset back to his starting place while still taking damage, let him die and profit.

Hard:
Dodge toward him, get in 1-2hits and repeat.

Parrying is also really effective. Little bit tricky though since the hunter doesn't have obvious patterns.

No you don't. That axe guy is super hard at that point in the game. I've played Dark Souls 1 to death and when I took on that guy, I got completely destroyed and my first thought was "This guy seems too tough. I don't think I'm supposed to fight him right now." I only went back to fight him after several bosses' worth of leveling up. Losing to that guy doesn't mean anything bad at all.

Thanks to all of you that responded. I decided to go the other way towards the bonfire. I got through there and progressed further out until I got my ass handed to me on the bridge by the two werewolf creatures. I'm low on pebbles and Molotov cocktails now, though. I'm just happy to get some progression. It's a great game.

Donos

Can anyone give me any tips on how to beat the hunter
in the Grand Cathedral? It's the one for Eileen's quest.
He's causing me way too much damage. One shot is all it takes to remove over half my health.

You can cheese him easily as he is one of the toughest mofos in the game but really fun to fight.

Cheese:
wait till he makes his power up chikage mode while fighting him, where he is loosing a bit hp constantly but deals more damage and just run out of the cathedral. He keeps loosing hp but starts slowly walking back to his starting point. While standing outside of the cathedral, you can see his health bar through the walls getting lower and lower till he dies. Then you get your reward from eileen. Welcome to the hunter of hunters club
Hoping for you that they didn't patch that recently.

Donos

Father G is a bit like the area where you first fight clickers and hunters. Tough in the beginning but prepares you for the rest.

myco666

Wasn't the level cap for summoning with password removed with latest patch? Just tried coop with SteelAlchemist and it didn't work for some reason.

myco666

It was removed, I just checked the patch notes.

Okay. I guess there was some other problems then.

Also it is really bad that people who help at last boss
Gehrman
don't get any echoes or insight if the host is going for true ending and die on the next boss.

I once helped a GAFer took down Amygdala with a level 144 character so yeah it worked.

Okay. Good to know that it works atleast sometimes.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Thanks to all of you that responded. I decided to go the other way towards the bonfire. I got through there and progressed further out until I got my ass handed to me on the bridge by the two werewolf creatures. I'm low on pebbles and Molotov cocktails now, though. I'm just happy to get some progression. It's a great game.

Don't hesitate to ask for coop help here if someday you feel like you need it :)

Also hanging about VA room with level 45 character helping people out and out of so far ten people twice I was summoned into the ng plus version wtf? Managed to best her those two times though and through that got rewarded with around 55000 each. Weird that my lv 45 character got summoned to help a ng plus fight... twice.

Yeah the wolves were the next big roadblock for me after the bonfire. I wouldn't worry about fighting them head on just yet either if they keep wrecking you like they did me.

Yeah the wolves were the next big roadblock for me after the bonfire. I wouldn't worry about fighting them head on just yet either if they keep wrecking you like they did me.

I'll try again this weekend. I didn't have too much of a problem with the mob near the bonfire. I'm also getting the hang of the visceral attacks. I'll also avoid the werewolves for now.

Thanks again for all the advice. I'll post more questions as I progess. Y'all are great.

I just started playing this game and I fucking suck. I'm having a tough time adjusting to the offensive nature of the game for some reason. I can't even beat the first axe-wielding guy in the first area (the big guy). I tried maybe 10 times and I keep dying. I fucking suck.

Ahh, it sounds like you are talking about the executioner. Yeah, they kicked my butt when I started too, so don't worry about it now. You will wreck him later after you've upgraded your weapons and leveled up a bit.

JawzPause

So i completed bloodborne and thought I'd give it a rest for a while. Decided to buy dark souls 2 on ps4... Wtf was dark souls 2 always this slow? I put into it a good few hours thinking I'll feel differently but the game feels slow and boring in comparison to bloodborne.
I'm playing NG+ on bloodborne atm as i couldn't carry on playing DS2. I think bloodborne may have ruined the soul series for me

I am already giving up on this poison PVP build and thinking of just going 50 Vit/40 Str/30 End. I had to salvage this character in PVE by throwing a Ludwig's at my problems instead of trying to reinvent the Wheel.

Any tips for
Rom
on NG+? I can get her down to half health before she even starts attacking me, but that arcane damage is too deadly. I'm wearing the student uniform and have plenty bolt paper.

Any tips for
Rom
on NG+? I can get her down to half health before she even starts attacking me, but that arcane damage is too deadly. I'm wearing the student uniform and have plenty bolt paper.

stay close, dodge as often as possible, run just out of range of the close arcane attacks and roll attack and then run back in and attack. forget the little spiders, just dodge after basically every attack and keep moving. don't get locked into 2-3 hit attack animations

My god Upper Cathedral Ward is Tower of Latria creepy. Celestial Emissary, eat bolt paper mother fucker! He's a lot easier if you don't lock on.

sphinx

the piano man
question here regarding trophies.

without spoiling much, can someone please tell me if there are any multiplayer trophies here, how many of them and what are the requirements to get them?

Skii

And down goes the One Reborn! Think I was level 82 when I took it out, damn Arianna sounds like shit.

How do people get this overleveled at the One Reborn? I think I was at level 60 when I faced him. I think 82 was the level I finished the game at!

Um, I think I'm going to fight Ebrietas a little bit later...Holy shit.

Should be easy at level 82. You just need to anticipate the rushing attack and you should be fine.

How do people get this overleveled at the One Reborn? I think I was at level 60 when I faced him. I think 82 was the level I finished the game at!

Should be easy at level 82. You just need to anticipate the rushing attack and you should be fine.
I did a some of the chalice dungeons a few times and still grinded a bit at times in the beginning. I also fought a lot of the extra bosses in single player. Ebrietas has a lot of range I have to do my best to just stay close to the damn thing. My Vit is like 36, I pumped more into skill than anything else. My god I'm level 86.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Any tips for
Rom

Run in a zig zag to avoid the icicle meteor attacks. It very, and I do mean VERY, rarely ever hits me after I started doing that. And well... I always prefer the kill all the kids first tactic.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
question here regarding trophies.

without spoiling much, can someone please tell me if there are any multiplayer trophies here, how many of them and what are the requirements to get them?

There's no mp trophy at all, although coop does make things easier for many things. Bloodborne for all intents and purposes is really a single player affair.

Well that wen't badly sorry. She managed to lift me up in the air with the jump and screwed up my positioning lol. Ringing again.

Lol. I saw that. I'm getting into position now.

Edit: Have to leave for dinner. Can we try again another time? Thank you for your help.

This is not a problem because it was specifically designed this way. They intended guns to be a new way to parry, not the Dark Souls parrying system with a new coat of paint. They wanted up close encounters to be especially dangerous this time around and that is how the game works now.
I understand that the game was designed with the concept of parrying with a gun in mind, but I think that the design failed in multiple critical ways. That's my entire thesis in a nutshell. Making parrying non-viable in many cases up close does make close encounters extra dangerous, but it cripples the entire concept of parrying in the process and heavily encourages players to avoid risk entirely, which harms the game.

He has the Hunter's Axe, a weapon available to the player. Some of his attacks are going to resemble what a player has despite his AI being built for being a boss fight.
I'm not sure what point you're driving at here, but fine. In the end, he's not designed to be a PVP simulator, we agree on that, right?

If you try to parry right in their face? I'm pretty sure they'll hit you out of it (or the shot just goes past them and you get hit right after). I'm not 100% sure on their behavior in this case scenario because I know trying to do that isn't the right idea so I don't do it.
That's not really what I meant; by baiting I mean coming into attack range to trick the player into parrying, or establishing a pattern that makes the player think an attack is coming that they can parry, and instead not attacking, but waiting for the parry warmup to actually strike. I'd be stunned to see tactics on that level executed by NPCs, but it's something that might make sense for a human, though it's extreme. That's what it would take for a player to be hit out of a parry warmup, outside of sheer luck.

Because it's extremely safe to do so. You either hit them out of it or they miss their shot if you are close enough.
No way, it's not safe at all. You're going to need excellent prediction or unbelievable reaction speed to hit someone in a parry warmup intentionally, and if you miss that roughly third of a second window you're eating the parry and giving the enemy a free visceral attack. If players tend to try to punish parry warmups more than cooldowns I'd be stunned. I'd like to see examples on video, my hypothesis is that this is a seriously rare occurrence.

This is complete speculation. It's comical you are now speaking for From developers on their development process.
Our knowledge of their development process is equal. We both have no direct insight. However, there are only two possibilities here: either attack timings were finalized first or animations were. Of course this could vary on a case by case basis per attack, and would be iterated on continuously throughout development, but timings have direct impact on the core of the game, where animations are more tangential. This makes finalizing timings first the logical choice. Also, creating beautiful animations is really expensive and time consuming, probably more so than altering the theory of attack timings, or even their actual execution in a test build that has basic or no animations. I think my speculation is sound.

So you want a different game, similar to multiple on the market that already exist? Gotcha.
My criticisms are aimed at Bloodborne specifically. Bloodborne is extremely similar to the Souls games, sharing basically all of their core values, but this doesn't matter to my arguments. If the Souls games didn't exist I'd still think parrying is flawed in the ways I think it is.

Risk/reward: If you trade and don't get to the enemy in time to visceral, you eat damage. If you do, you regain your health and deal damage. It is risk/reward for the parry and then you have the risk/reward of the trade. It's an acceptable design.
The only way you can be prevented from getting the visceral is if the attack you traded with knocked you down. Attacks that knock you down always will; it's not a matter of risk, it's a certainty. Recovering back into range for a riposte from knockdown (if it's even possible, I haven't tested this) is a skill that operates in a relative vacuum compared to parrying itself, and should be quite simple. Unless there's some kind of level design stopping you, you'll be able to do it consistently, and you're under no threat from the enemy you've traded with during it since they're still stunned (in theory). Besides, you're fighting a losing battle here no matter what: the vast majority of parryable attacks in Bloodborne don't even knock you down. There's no way knockdown attacks were implemented specifically to balance out trading; if they were they'd be ubiquitous. You're going to have to find a different argument to prove that From really did seriously consider trading as a mechanic in the game.

Your conclusion is nothing but speculation. Psychic parries means predicting attacks, catching animations. It's used in many games. And they can only be proven necessary if evidence is shown that just inputs can't be done on reaction.
My conclusion is supported by direct observations of the game and analysis of those observations. I've given proof that (for some attacks) just inputs can't be done on reaction many times now. About prediction, do you often find yourself predicting precisely what an enemy will do in other action games? Not memorizing patterns, but actual pure prediction? If you do, please give me some examples. However, I don't think you do, and I'll explain why.

In the Souls games and Bloodborne, and in pretty much every character action game I'm aware of, enemies are essentially enhanced random number generators. They will take different actions based on factors like range, but a great deal of what they do is determined by an internal dice roll. That's a simplification, but I'll explain further with an example. The Blood-Starved Beast has 4 attacks in its first form. Its basic AI behavior is to approach the player until it reaches a certain range, its designed attack range. At that point, it performs an internal dice roll to choose which attack it will perform from the list of 4. One of those 4 attacks is also possible to perform at a longer range from the player, so it sometimes breaks this pattern, but that basic approach-roll-attack paradigm is pretty much the basis of all character action game enemy AI. There are of course exceptions, and this is a heavy simplification, but my point here is that we're dealing with something that inherently defies prediction, it is designed to be random to a great extent. In many cases, what you may believe to be prediction is actually just playing a game of odds.

I could go much further with this argument, with your mention of "many games," and your likely response of "what about the NPC Hunters," but this is again approaching that potential ideological quagmire I mentioned way back, and would take some serious explanation and exploration of theory and even philosophy, so I'm only prepared to tackle it if you are.

I intentionally left out some parts of your post. Some were because I had already addressed them, some for... other reasons. I am also a rather busy person, which is why I can't reply often to you with posts that satisfy my personal standards for quality and clarity, but I will not tolerate insults, even if they are veiled. I have tried to argue with you in good faith, striving to provide proof with my arguments and to generally make them as sound as I can, and I would expect you to do the same.

Atlas157

Since having troubles with
Ebrietas
yesterday, I've beaten it and
Rom
Martyr Logarius
The One Reborn
Amygdala
, and I just cheesed
Micolash
for fun.

PranooY

Anyone wanna help me out with Headless Bloodletting beast in layer 2 Pthumerian Illhyl chalice. Dude hits like a truck, got very long reach and is fast. :(
I'm level 90 on NG, isn't that enough?

Ferr986

I wonder if some good gaffer could summon me via the short ritual chalice into this glyph: kkqmduet.

I want to make a low level Burial Blade user.
Could give the favor back with other characters.

cormack12

Gold Member
Woo, level 80 and just took out Micolash. I think I might have screwed up though, as I don't remember looting him and apparently he drops a unique item a blood rock which I don't recall seeing glitter :/ My weapon is +8, should it be +9??

Also took me an age to find him the second time, didn't realise there was a little door on the very top floor! Pain in the ass! Home straight now, don't think I'll be going for the plat as it's too time consuming and I have put about an hour into the witcher so far......

N° 2048

Have used so much Insight trying to beat Rom with someone. I might actually run out soon so I guess I have to grind a bit and do it solo :(

Any tips?

Top Bottom