• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Scrawnton

Ended up getting back to this game and got the platinum lastnight. Took me five hours straight lastnight to do the last two chalices needed. Glad I can move on to dark souls 2 now.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
About two shortcuts into
Nightmare of Mensis
. This area is really cool, and has a really creepy atmosphere. I feel like I'm pretty far in and might be close to the boss now.

I also went back and
killed Patches because he's a bastard.
Does that have any repercussions?

Atlas157

Shit I just realized I forgot to use the
umbilical cords
to fight
Moon Presence
... Oh well, I'll fight it in NG+ then.

NEO0MJ

Shit I just realized I forgot to use the
umbilical cords
to fight
Moon Presence
... Oh well, I'll fight it in NG+ then.

If you're restarting the game for that fight it might be better to start entirely fresh as the enemies and bosses are given huge power-ups.

If you're restarting the game for that fight it might be better to start entirely fresh as the enemies and bosses are given huge power-ups.

I played Moon Presence on NG+ and it was pretty easy. Easy enough that I don't really bother triggering its appearance anymore.
In reality NG+ is around the same difficulty as NG once you account for all of your upgrades, and NG++ is where the bosses actually become harder.

cormack12

Gold Member
Just finished the game. I backed my save up and just played it out as I would have. Not ready to replay or anything yet. Might have another run through later in the year and roll a different weapon. I'm a stubborn S.O.B so was determined to finished with the cane :D

This was really challenging for me, had to co-op a few bosses but had fun when I did. Overall the bosses were quite decent, much preferred the humanoid ones though. I like the way most bosses had three ways of taking them down. Straight fight, cheese or co-op. Game does give you options no matter what your level.

I didn't like the way you had to participate in the risk of invasion when you were just trying to run through and do a co-op boss though. Amygdala was by far the hardest boss for me, couldn't even make a dent in her HP at the level I was, with other bosses I could at least get them down to half-ish health having a good stab at them. Fellow GAFfer came to the rescue though:

aSu_Flying.gif

Top three most difficult bosses
Amygdala
Ebrietas
Vicar Amelia/Mergos wet nurse tied (large health pool for wet nurse and purple mist fucked me up, and the camera was horrid for Amelia.

Top three easiest bosses
Micolash
Celestial Emissary
Shadow of Yarnham/Witch of Hemwick

Generally I loved the game until Nightmare of Mensis and Nightmare Frontier. Game just took a nosedive then, and a lot of things became cheap for being cheap's sake at that point. The Frenzy was just an awful mechanic in my opinion. It just made you do suicide runs until you got to the next safe area.

One question about the ending I chose though:

Based on what I understood, I decided to end my life and awaken anew into the world. I took it I was summoned into the hunter's dream to cure the nightmare. Now did I actually awaken and the world was right again, or did I awaken into another transfusion (i.e. the nightmare is never ending and all of those graves are mine?)

NEO0MJ

In reality NG+ is around the same difficulty as NG once you account for all of your upgrades, and NG++ is where the bosses actually become harder.

Hmmm. I felt my damage output was low when fighting the first two bosses so I decided to stat fresh before spending any more time. Plus it allowed me to switch movesets.

Top three most difficult bosses
Mergos wet nurse tied (large health pool for wet nurse and purple mist fucked me up

I'm surprised, I thought that was one of the easier bosses in the game, though maybe it helped that by the time I reached it I was fully accustomed to the game and my weapons. Did you fight
Ebrietas
?

Am I missing out on stuff if I don't have a higher insight level? I got some sucked out by those brain suckers and spent some on the insight shop so I only have like 6 now, when I could have 20 or so

Hmmm. I felt my damage output was low when fighting the first two bosses so I decided to stat fresh before spending any more time. Plus it allowed me to switch movesets.
They purposefully make earlier bosses have larger hit point gains than late game ones on NG+.

cormack12

Gold Member
Am I missing out on stuff if I don't have a higher insight level? I got some sucked out by those brain suckers and spent some on the insight shop so I only have like 6 now, when I could have 20 or so

Not really. It costs you insight to summon co-operators though so just bear that in mind. It uses the point whether you're successful or not as well.

High insight gives enemies some different attacks, let's you hear/see things you don't at lower insight. It also makes frenzy build faster if you have high insight. I think i just finished with 3 insight. Throughout the game I tried to keep it at about 12

Are you trying to co-op for a boss or just general? Do you have a password set in network settings at all? Definitely 'playing online' from the title screen etc.?

I had someone not even 20 minutes ago help me beat the Father guy. And its just in general.

i found one guy, and he died in less than 30 seconds..

NEO0MJ

God fucking damn it! I was so close, so close! I had that annoying hunter down to a silver of a health, but became worried when my health became low and backed away from him in order to heal. While doing so it seemed that the mist I threw at him has run out and he healed himself immediately, bringing me back to square one. I got so frustrated and just threw myself at him and died.

So, what are some good places to farm souls? I lost a lot of blood vials and bullets.

They purposefully make earlier bosses have larger hit point gains than late game ones on NG+.

Oh, I see. I thought this was a sign of things to come and got worried.

I did it, I have finally gotten further. Beat the Blood Starved beast, I can die some more now. Thank god

uhm what just happened, I died and went to the unseen village...

recommended level 70-80
weapon level +7 or +9

I'm fucked.

EDIT: Not sure if I was suppose to stay there, but I got out of there.

WGMBY

Finished the game last night. Save scummed to get all endings, but I forgot to pick up the (item spoiler)
living string
. I think I'm going to reload that same save file again to tidy up all my loose ends before going onto NG+. Besides, PVP in Mergo's Loft is too much fun.

I did it, I have finally gotten further. Beat the Blood Starved beast, I can die some more now. Thank god

uhm what just happened, I died and went to the unseen village...

recommended level 70-80
weapon level +7 or +9

I'm fucked.

EDIT: Not sure if I was suppose to stay there, but I got out of there.

I think whatever guide you saw is misleading for reasons. That area is designed to be played right after BSB.

Xeilyn

okay, so whats the fast travel point called?
Cause i used the Lamp to leave.

EDIT: Just beat Vicar. Damn I'm on a roll today.
Its called hypogean gaol and its the third stone in the dream. And you are not really meant to tackle that area after BSB unless you are around lvl 30, you can ofc do it if you want but the enemies have alot more hp and hit alot harder than the enemies you fought on your way to BSB. Its a good spot to farm twin shards though

About two shortcuts into
Nightmare of Mensis
. This area is really cool, and has a really creepy atmosphere. I feel like I'm pretty far in and might be close to the boss now.

I also went back and
killed Patches because he's a bastard.
Does that have any repercussions?

Nah, you're good as long as you got his excellent rune.

Some wiki states that Patches can appear as a vendor in Chalice Dungeons, but that is just a myth.

I just discovered that people likes to suicide in front of the
motionless doll in the old workshop

*shrug*

Also I keep discovering small details in the game like how Adella the nun watches you everytime you speak with Arianna. lol

Not really. It costs you insight to summon co-operators though so just bear that in mind. It uses the point whether you're successful or not as well.

High insight gives enemies some different attacks, let's you hear/see things you don't at lower insight. It also makes frenzy build faster if you have high insight. I think i just finished with 3 insight. Throughout the game I tried to keep it at about 12

I'm mostly interested in the hearing/seeing things I wouldn't ordinarily. Are these major/awesome things?

Hey guys,

So I'm level 64 now, and have just beaten Rom, but I'm wondering if I have missed some optional bosses along the way?

I want to do everything "in order" - have I missed any bosses prior to the Unseen Village?

Hey guys,

So I'm level 64 now, and have just beaten Rom, but I'm wondering if I have missed some optional bosses along the way?

I want to do everything "in order" - have I missed any bosses prior to the Unseen Village?

B
lood starved beast
, C
leric beast
are optional. if you've been to the N
ightmare
F
rontier
, the boss there is optional. there's also c
ainhurst
C
astle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi6f_d_lSVc

I made this as a tribute for the Watchdog! Loved that boss! Inspired by Metal, Super Meat Boy replay and PeTA/Djura! Hope you like it! New Song too!!!

Here some Gif teaser :
giphy.gif
(Bad Quality)

giphy.gif

Link for the song : http://soundcloud.com/corps-peau-ra...-defiled-watchdog-or-petas-revenge-feat-djura
I'm standing right in front of the door for this boss, with my beckoning bell ringing. After seeing these gifs, I dun wanna do it anymore.

I earned my very first Platinum trophy this morning! That final journey towards Yharnam, through the Defiled Chalice dungeon, was made easier with help from Myco666. I was defeated many times by Amygdala, but Myco666 was a good sport and persevered in spite of my mistakes. Somehow I managed to finally defeat her on my own and pushed on to the final Chalice dungeon.

Bloodborne has been one of the most rewarding gaming experiences I've endured. I'm looking forward to the upcoming dlc, but for now, I'm going to take the time to enjoy the Witcher: Wild Hunt.

If I'm just clearing out the cathedral now, I'm not able to use runes yet right? Or am I missing something? Also should I keep the Black Church Garb? I'm still using the first set of armor I got from purchasing the stuff at the messenger bath.

also current stats at level 43 have Vit: 21, End: 19, Strength: 13, Skill: 25, Bloodtinge: 7 and Arcane at 8. How's that looking if I'm planning to go with a skill-weapon oriented build?

Finally I have 43 insight and I play offline, is there any benefit to having a large amount of insight?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
If I'm just clearing out the cathedral now, I'm not able to use runes yet right? Or am I missing something? Also should I keep the Black Church Garb? I'm still using the first set of armor I got from purchasing the stuff at the messenger bath.

also current stats at level 43 have Vit: 21, End: 19, Strength: 13, Skill: 25, Bloodtinge: 7 and Arcane at 8. How's that looking if I'm planning to go with a skill-weapon oriented build?

Finally I have 43 insight and I play offline, is there any benefit to having a large amount of insight?

To be able to use Runes you need to clear out the Hemwick Charnel Lane area located at the left of Grand Cathedral. You'll know it when you get there since the entrance area is guarded by many annoying dogs and *lots* of those shooting dudes.

Always keep clothing sets. *Never* sell them. And besides, Black Church sets is one of the better sets in the game IMO, better poison resist than Gascoigne, great Arcane/Fire resist, decent physical... and it's great looking (especially in females).

Your current stat is fine if you want to use Skill-based weapons. I recommend you don't raise your strength beyond that however, at least not until all the other stats at a desirable level first. Vit at 50, for instance, with End at 30 or 25 at the very least, and Skill at 50.

The benefits of having high insights are you can summon/invade people more often, and you can purchase stuff from Insight Store (Blood Stone Chunks, for instance, can be bought for 30 insight). Other than that, not really. In fact you might want to just run with low insight for a relatively easier game (few enemies gets new attack moves with high insight)

To be able to use Runes you need to clear out the Hemwick Charnel Lane area located at the left of Grand Cathedral. You'll know it when you get there since the entrance area is guarded by many annoying dogs and *lots* of those shooting dudes.

Always keep clothing sets. *Never* sell them. And besides, Black Church sets is one of the better sets in the game IMO, better poison resist than Gascoigne, great Arcane/Fire resist, decent physical... and it's great looking (especially in females).

Your current stat is fine if you want to use Skill-based weapons. I recommend you don't raise your strength beyond that however, at least not until all the other stats at a desirable level first. Vit at 50, for instance, with End at 30 or 25 at the very least, and Skill at 50.

The benefits of having high insights are you can summon/invade people more often, and you can purchase stuff from Insight Store (Blood Stone Chunks, for instance, can be bought for 30 insight). Other than that, not really. In fact you might want to just run with low insight for a relatively easier game (few enemies gets new attack moves with high insight)
Oh really for some reason I figure having a high insight would make the game easier, any other subtle changes like that?

And yeah I'm keeping all armor sets from now on, just wondering if it's worth switching out the first armor set for in most cases.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Oh really for some reason I figure having a high insight would make the game easier, any other subtle changes like that?

And yeah I'm keeping all armor sets from now on, just wondering if it's worth switching out the first armor set for in most cases.

Nothing important. An enemy will sing more and subtle graphical effects is added to some types with new attacks, and a boss in particular acts differently based on whether you have low or high insight, but really, it's nothing significant.

You might as well spend it on the Insight Shop if you see something you want to buy from it. It's nice that since the last patch they require only 1 to activate and it will stay activated, unlike the previous versions of the game where you need 10 to open it and keep it open, hahaha.

Various circumstances *will* make you change your clothing sets regularly. Black Church, for instance, is good against poison/fire/arcane, but it sucks against Frenzy and there are areas in the game where you *will* get destroyed if you keep wearing it.

Nothing important. An enemy will sing more and subtle graphical effects is added to some types with new attacks, and a boss in particular acts differently based on whether you have low or high insight, but really, it's nothing significant.

You might as well spend it on the Insight Shop if you see something you want to buy from it. It's nice that since the last patch they require only 1 to activate and it will stay activated, unlike the previous versions of the game where you need 10 to open it and keep it open, hahaha.

Various circumstances *will* make you change your clothing sets regularly. Black Church, for instance, is good against poison/fire/arcane, but it sucks against Frenzy and there are areas in the game where you *will* get destroyed if you keep wearing it.
What exactly is Frenzy, just high attack rates? And would it be odd if I just kept on the first workshop gear for versatility's sake? Do I ever get anything that's significantly better or are the armors all horizontal upgrades instead of vertical?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What exactly is Frenzy, just high attack rates?

The very first enemy types that can cause Frenzy in the game is the cross bearing church folks standing in front of the Grand Cathedral.

Frenzy's status effect is basically this swirling symbol with a meter filling the bar on the screen that when it filled, it will take a set amount (a *HUGE* amount) of your HP *immediately* when your character explodes in blood. Like, 80/90% huge. It's HUGE. Since it's a set amount, it will never kill you outright if you have full HP, but some enemies attacks you *and* cause Frenzy, and damage sustained from those attacks in combination in Frenzy will most likely kill you.

One of the deadliest type of enemies in this game cause you Frenzy just by virtue of them spotting you, and they cause you unavoidable damage with transparent spears piercing your character even before your character gets hit with the Frenzy's set damage. Plus they have greatly damaging grab attacks. You will most likely get destroyed mercilessly if you wear church-related garbs against these folk.

What exactly is Frenzy, just high attack rates? And would it be odd if I just kept on the first workshop gear for versatility's sake? Do I ever get anything that's significantly better or are the armors all horizontal upgrades instead of vertical?

The very first workshop gear, you mean Hunter gear? It's fine if you want to use it, though there are circumstances where you'd be better off wearing other sets. It has low Arcane defense for instance so you might have greater degree of problems dealing with enemies dealing Arcane (two bosses in particular are very nasty regarding this). There is really no "best" armor unlike traditional RPGs.

The very first enemy types that can cause Frenzy in the game is the cross bearing church folks standing in front of the Grand Cathedral.

Frenzy's status effect is basically this swirling symbol with a meter filling the bar on the screen that when it filled, it will take a set amount (a *HUGE* amount) of your HP *immediately* when your character explodes in blood. Like, 80/90% huge. It's HUGE. Since it's a set amount, it will never kill you outright if you have full HP, but some enemies attacks you *and* cause Frenzy, and damage sustained from those attacks in combination in Frenzy will most likely kill you.

One of the deadliest type of enemies in this game cause you Frenzy just by virtue of them spotting you, and they cause you unavoidable damage with transparent spears piercing your character even before your character gets hit with the Frenzy's set damage. Plus they have greatly damaging grab attacks. You will most likely get destroyed mercilessly if you wear church-related garbs against these folk.

Ah I easily visceral-ed the church guys, but those other ones sound brutal

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ah I easily visceral-ed the church guys, but those other ones sound brutal

They are :)

The best clothing set to deal with Frenzy is Ashen clothing set *but* with Crowfeather helmet equipped. And there's a very essential +200 Frenzy resist rune too.

Even with those equipped I have in few instances a really close call dealing with those fuckers, hahaha. Especially later there's an area where you encounter three of them in close proximity; that was really tense.

Top Bottom