• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

highrider

Banned
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm thinking those bag guys are the ones that scurry around, I've gotten a few of them but I always just get the regular blood shards.

Yep, many times the occasions of rolling *forward* serving as a much better option, especially if you are familiar with utilizing the invincibility frames that it offers.

Do you know you can parry her? Very satisfying to pull off, although her rabid successive attacks can't be parried I believe (though her jump forward and simple swipe can).

Yeah I've figured that out on a few occasions, although it can be pretty intimidating rolling into these monstrosities haha. I can get her (how do you tell the gender of the creatures anyway??) into her second form solely through parry/visceral attacks, but she's too quick for me in her other phases.

You dont need to farm. Once you got him down, you won't need to heal. I have fought him so many times I usually don't get hit at all. Lock on and dodge forward-left.

Getting so good at this fight that I never need to heal or use antidotes might take even longer for me than farming for supplies between fights would :p

Alright this bitch is going down today. I spent like 2 hours yesterday making pretty much no progress just fighting the BSB. Almost killed it a few times, too.

Melchiah

Just reached the first boss of Cursed Pthumerian Defilement chalice. Damn, Fuck this shit. You got only half the health for this entire chalice and the boss one-shot kills you with even with basic attacks, even though i have 40 vitality and am level 86. Any tips, guys/gals?

You can skip the Defiled dungeon and reach the Ihyll via this method. Just did it myself yesterday, when I thought it just wasn't worth the effort to go through it.

myco666

Just reached the first boss of Cursed Pthumerian Defilement chalice. Damn, Fuck this shit. You got only half the health for this entire chalice and the boss one-shot kills you with even with basic attacks, even though i have 40 vitality and am level 86. Any tips, guys/gals?

Get fire resist and hp up runes. Few points into vit would help too. Good strategy for that fight is to get parry loop going since the keeper will always do same attack after riposte.

You can skip the Defiled dungeon and reach the Ihyll via this method. Just did it myself yesterday, when I thought it just wasn't worth the effort to go through it.

IMO Defiled Chalice is worth going through since those fights are super good and tense.

Rozart

Uh...So, I'm trying to conduct the chalice ritual for the Lower Loran Dungeon (I need two more Red Jellies to enter the final Defiled Chalice) but for some reason nothing happens? I have all the required items but when I press 'Conduct Ritual', nothing happens.

I've tried using the Lower Loran chalice on the first gravestone and the last gravestone and still, I can't conduct the ritual. Same results when I quit the game and tried playing it offline as well. The Loran Chalice skull appears on both the gravestone btw. Also tried conducting the first Pthumeru Chalice on the first gravestone again to see what would happen-- same thing. The game won't let me conduct the ritual.

Really worried right now that I won't be able to complete the Great Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice and face the Queen. Anyone else faced this problem before? Did the game completely bugged out on me or something?

Melchiah

IMO Defiled Chalice is worth going through since those fights are super good and tense.

I'd like to do that, but with half the health it's just more annoying than entertaining.

EDIT:
I think ill skip if the above method works, since all the bosses are recycled ones. ;)
Maybe try it out later, once i have the platinum.

It took me several tries to find the correct dungeon, so be prepared to help others through the dungeons. I managed to help someone beat A
bhorrent Beast
, which I've so far failed to do by myself, but was killed in the fight against H
eadless Bloodletting Beast
. Hopefully the other player managed to finish the work.

YESSSSS BEAT THAT BITCH.

Now I got grabbed by some dude with a sack and I'm in somewhere really tough called the unseen village. What the fuck this is terrifying.

myco666

I'd like to do that, but with half the health it's just more annoying than entertaining.

If you have enough health so that nothing can one shot you it isn't really that bad. When the bosses could one shot me it felt total BS but after leveling up and getting defense up it went much more smoothly.

YESSSSS BEAT THAT BITCH.

Now I got grabbed by some dude with a sack and I'm in somewhere really tough called the unseen village. What the fuck this is terrifying.

Great area. There are bunch of Twin Blood Shards and super good weapon. The enemies are tough though so beware.

Melchiah

If you have enough health so that nothing can one shot you it isn't really that bad. When the bosses could one shot me it felt total BS but after leveling up and getting defense up it went much more smoothly.

I reached the first boss in Defiled, and it got frustrating when it took only two strikes to fail. It left very little room for error, given the opponent's speed. I've got vitality on the soft cap, and I'm somewhere over 150 level at the moment.

My stats:
Vit - 50
End - 30
Str - 40
Skl - 50
Bld - 30
Arc - 10

EDIT:
It isn't much better in Ihyll though, as P
thumerian Descendant
can kill me with three strikes. =)

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Found
Nightmare Frontier
and beat
Amygdala
yesterday. Is there any point to beating this boss? I didn't notice anything special after beating it besides the chalice that it dropped.

I felt overleveled for the whole area at around 63. Just caned the shit out of everything. I think I found it late.

myco666

I reached the first boss in Defiled, and it got frustrating when it took only two strikes to fail. It left very little room for error, given the opponent's speed. I've got vitality on the soft cap, and I'm somewhere over 150 level at the moment.

My stats:
Vit - 50
End - 30
Str - 40
Skl - 50
Bld - 30
Arc - 10

EDIT:
It isn't much better in Ihyll though, as P
thumerian Descendant
can kill me with three strikes. =)

Strategy that I use to beat the first boss everytime is to use jump attack and dash back immediately. Once you learn when to do the attack when to not it becomes really manageable. Other good strategy is to parry and do riposte. After that the keeper should do a dash back attack which is rather easy to parry. This will make the boss go into a loop and you can wipe the floor with it. But if even the first boss was too frustrating it might be for the best to skip it since it certainly doesn't get easier.

Yeah the first Ihyll boss is no pushover.

Found
Nightmare Frontier
and beat
Amygdala
yesterday. Is there any point to beating this boss? I didn't notice anything special after beating it besides the chalice that it dropped.

I felt overleveled for the whole area at around 63. Just caned the shit out of everything. I think I found it late.

Totally optional area and boss. Only point is to get the chalice and echoes. There is also bunch of good materials in the area. 63 is little bit overleveled maybe but not that much. It is meant to be done around the time you get to Forbidden Forest.

Akuun

Totally optional area and boss. Only point is to get the chalice and echoes. There is also bunch of good materials in the area. 63 is little bit overleveled maybe but not that much. It is meant to be done around the time you get to Forbidden Forest.
Okay, thanks.

I took on that place way late then. I beat
The One Reborn
and then went back to do this. :p

Skii

not a treat, the game is hard but im enjoying it. this part is total bs and just makes me not want to play. if it gets more bs than this i might actually take the same path as my friend and drop the game as well.

It's not bullshit at all. That's part of the Souls experience. Most people feel going into the Depths/Blighttown was a bullshit moment in Dark Souls. Same could be said for the Valley of Defilement in Demon's. But now when you look back on it, it was never really difficult at all. It was just new things you had to contend with. It may be overwhelming for a new player but Bloodborne places the most difficult area after half way through the game meaning the player should be ready for it.

I never knew what was happening when I went through Yahar'gul. I thought the maidens were just buffing the enemies and them reviving was a story element. It was definitely a difficulty spike but it was never bullshit. Just go through it smartly and you'll be at the next lamp soon enough.

Can I ask what's the point of skipping content on your way to a digital trophy that no one except you will even know about? It's like cheating at solitaire. (The Pthumeru Ihyll chalice is really not that interesting in and of itself, so I'm assuming this is intended to be a cheap method to get the platinum.)

Melchiah

Strategy that I use to beat the first boss everytime is to use jump attack and dash back immediately. Once you learn when to do the attack when to not it becomes really manageable. Other good strategy is to parry and do riposte. After that the keeper should do a dash back attack which is rather easy to parry. This will make the boss go into a loop and you can wipe the floor with it. But if even the first boss was too frustrating it might be for the best to skip it since it certainly doesn't get easier.

Yeah the first Ihyll boss is no pushover.

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind, if I return there at some point.

I actually had to farm more Blood Vials, which I haven't done in a long while, after trying to beat the first Ihyll boss a few times.

Can I ask what's the point of skipping content on your way to a digital trophy that no one except you will even know about? It's like cheating at solitaire. (The Pthumeru Ihyll chalice is really not that interesting in and of itself, so I'm assuming this is intended to be a cheap method to get the platinum.)

It's not about the trophy alone, it's about getting to Ihyll as well. I've enjoyed all the seven preceding dungeons so far, but Defiled's health handicap just made the challenge more annoying than entertaining. That being said, I may try clearing it again later on, but I wager it's just not my cup of tea.

You could also call it cheating to cheese some of the hunters in the main game, which is exactly what I did to get to experience the whole of the game. Spoilers regarding NPC hunters:
The cell trick against the three hunters in the Unseen Village, and making Djura fall from the tower in the Old Yharnam.
The latter in particular was a better approach from my point of view, than having to go through the gauntlet again and again to reach him.

If you want to get radial geams Ihyll is one of the best places...

It's not about the trophy alone, it's about getting to Ihyll as well. I've enjoyed all the seven preceding dungeons so far, but Defiled's health handicap just made the challenge more annoying than entertaining. That being said, I may try clearing it again later on, but I wager it's just not my cup of tea.

Fair enough, just found it strange to go for the platinum but go out of your way to skip by far the most challenging part. But the last boss of Ihyll is kind of neat so there's that.

If you want to get radial geams Ihyll is one of the best places...
Ah ok. I don't mess with PVP so I've never cared about hunting down the best gems.

PurpleSquid

Neo Member
It's not bullshit at all. That's part of the Souls experience. Most people feel going into the Depths/Blighttown was a bullshit moment in Dark Souls. Same could be said for the Valley of Defilement in Demon's. But now when you look back on it, it was never really difficult at all. It was just new things you had to contend with. It may be overwhelming for a new player but Bloodborne places the most difficult area after half way through the game meaning the player should be ready for it.

I never knew what was happening when I went through Yahar'gul. I thought the maidens were just buffing the enemies and them reviving was a story element. It was definitely a difficulty spike but it was never bullshit. Just go through it smartly and you'll be at the next lamp soon enough.

just ran passed everyone and went to the big gross bosss thats made up of body parts. i made it my bitch on the 2nd attempt, didn't even kill the annoying enemies on top, since i wasn't really expecting to kill the boss. needless to say im happy i finally got that part over with :) i hope i don't see those annoying buffing ladies again. right now im in one of the nightmare areas where i keep getting invaded by what im assuming are real people.

Melchiah

Fair enough, just found it strange to go for the platinum but go out of your way to skip by far the most challenging part. But the last boss of Ihyll is kind of neat so there's that.

The last boss is the one I'm looking forward to the most. I don't generally strive towards a platinum just for the sake of it, if I find the task tedious and unentertaining, and I would have let it go if I had to go through Defiled. Just like I never went for platinum in ME3, because the last trophy would have meant playing through the whole campaign on hard. Not my idea of fun, but it varies per game, like with Resogun, which I platinumed.

The last boss is the one I'm looking forward to the most. I don't generally strive towards a platinum just for the sake of it, if I find the task tedious and unentertaining, and I would have let it go if I had to go through Defiled. Just like I never went for platinum in ME3, because the last trophy would have meant playing through the whole campaign on hard. Not my idea of fun, but it varies per game, like with Resogun, which I platinumed.
That makes sense. Don't mind me; I'm just salty because I banged my head against Defiled Watchdog and Amygdala for hours before beating them and now all you jerks are just waltzing right around them. :) I agree those fights in particular cross a line where it's punishing in a way that's just not that fun: a huge boss health bar plus one-hit-kill attacks add up to 10-minute attempts ending in an instant because you zigged when you should've zagged. Pretty brutal. Did feel good to finally beat them though. Felt like I'd completely sussed them which isn't really necessary in the rest of the game unless you're doing some kind of restricted run.

Hmm, I think I may have seriously over-leveled.

I was paranoid after hearing Blood Starved Beast was super hard, so I grinded up to level 45 and tentatively creeped inside the chapel... only to smash his face in effortlessly. I mean I never even dropped below 75% health lol.

How over-leveled am I? I don't want the game to be that easy haha.

Akuun

I was paranoid after hearing Blood Starved Beast was super hard, so I grinded up to level 45 and tentatively creeped inside the chapel... only to smash his face in effortlessly. I mean I never even dropped below 75% health lol.

So you took on the Blood-Starved Beast at 45? Yeah, IMO that's kinda overleveled. I think I was around 46 when I took on a story boss that's around two story bosses past where you are. And to be fair, the BSB only gets really threatening at its final phase. If you killed it before it got too many attacks off in that phase, it may have looked easier than it can be.

Maybe avoid leveling for a few bosses (maybe spend the souls to try out weapons or stock up on consumables/armor or something instead), and you're good.

inthrall

Like most bosses, they are easy if you don't get hit. You're not very overlevelled but it will only affect the next boss or two, you'll be back on curve after that

PranooY

Finally beat Cursed Pthumerian Defilement chalice. That was really hard. Damn.

The endorphin rush you get from finally beating a tough boss in this game is ridiculous, never experienced it in a game to such an extent lol.
Hehe, first time playing a souls game?

The endorphin rush you get from finally beating a tough boss in this game is ridiculous, never experienced it in a game to such an extent lol.

Atlas157

Got the game yesterday. I just beat
Shadow of Yharnam

The only bosses that gave me trouble were
Father Gascoigne
and
Blood-Starved Beast
but overall the game is easier than Dark Souls. I am loving it more than Dark Souls though.

Edit: Well it's easier so far, not sure about the rest of the game.

Edit 2: I'm getting destroyed by
Darkbeast Paarl
now...

Melchiah

That makes sense. Don't mind me; I'm just salty because I banged my head against Defiled Watchdog and Amygdala for hours before beating them and now all you jerks are just waltzing right around them. :) I agree those fights in particular cross a line where it's punishing in a way that's just not that fun: a huge boss health bar plus one-hit-kill attacks add up to 10-minute attempts ending in an instant because you zigged when you should've zagged. Pretty brutal. Did feel good to finally beat them though. Felt like I'd completely sussed them which isn't really necessary in the rest of the game unless you're doing some kind of restricted run.

I can completely understand, that it could be somewhat vexing when others take a shortcut, after you've gone through the longer and harder way. =)

And so it is done.
MeSP3jI.jpg
The game timer shows 118 hours, but that's not entirely accurate due to the lack of pause.

I invited another hunter to help with the first Ihyll boss, and found it pretty fun that way so I decided to team up with the other bosses as well. The last one was definitely one of the highlights of the dungeons, and well worth experiencing.

Speaking of BB multiplayer, I just stumbled onto this gem...

Bloodborne Naked Fight Club
https://youtu.be/nqco_DZslzY

Got out of unseen village ASAP after getting my throat cut from behind from some hag.

Now I've managed to get behind that locked gate in the cathedral ward by going down that tower.

This area is hard as balls are you kidding me! All these white faced cultists and giant skeletons are stressing me out.

Edit: am I really bad or just under leveled? I tried the first chalice dungeon (the depth 1 you get after beating BSB) and that's really hard too. I'm level 26.

PranooY

Getting pounded by Blood letting beast (headless) in IIhyl chalice dungeon. More than the beast, i'm fighting the camera. :( Tips are welcome.

Just got the platinum trophy! :D

I beat the game two times legitimately (both of the "Refuse" endings) but save-scummed to get the simple ending.

highrider

Banned
Got out of unseen village ASAP after getting my throat cut from behind from some hag.

Now I've managed to get behind that locked gate in the cathedral ward by going down that tower.

This area is hard as balls are you kidding me! All these white faced cultists and giant skeletons are stressing me out.

Edit: am I really bad or just under leveled? I tried the first chalice dungeon (the depth 1 you get after beating BSB) and that's really hard too. I'm level 26.

Lol, it's like you and I are the same character. I'm level 38 with a pretty good weapon and gear setup. I was like 33 when I beat the bsb. But my son helps me farm. He likes getting the stuff, and I fight the bosses.

I just started playing this game and I fucking suck. I'm having a tough time adjusting to the offensive nature of the game for some reason. I can't even beat the first axe-wielding guy in the first area (the big guy). I tried maybe 10 times and I keep dying. I fucking suck.

I just started playing this game and I fucking suck. I'm having a tough time adjusting to the offensive nature of the game for some reason. I can't even beat the first axe-wielding guy in the first area (the big guy). I tried maybe 10 times and I keep dying. I fucking suck.

Don't fight him yet, he's too tough to fight until you have better equipment and level up. Just go to the bonfire area to the right.

It's really hard at first but it will get better I promise! (Before it gets really hard again once you reach a new area)

You can come back to that guy later. I think most players have trouble with him when they start. There's nothing important in his area anyway. Just keep playing. I started recently, and after sucking at the beginning like you, I am starting to get the hang of it.

Peace Tea

Is discovery of chunks in Cainhurst limited by Insight?

I keep getting twin shards for some reason. Went back and killed ShadowsOY, BSB, got to 30 insight. All did nothing. I read that Arcane/Discovery has no affect, so I'm pretty lost now.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Level 45 for BSb is OVERKILL hahaha. Most people I know took him on on the lower sides of twentys.

I keep getting twin shards for some reason. Went back and killed ShadowsOY, BSB, got to 30 insight. All did nothing. I read that Arcane/Discovery has no affect, so I'm pretty lost now.

Insight has nothing to do with drops. FYI the possibility of Chunks from Cainhurst's Gargoyles is to the tune of 1.5 percent IIRC. Arcane affects the frequency of item drops but *not* the item quality itself. By raising Arcane you merely make enemies drop items more.

Better move on to Upper Cathedral's werewolves. They have IIRC 4.5% chance of dropping chunks. Or go to Chalice depth 4 or 5.

Leon Raycloud

Neo Member
Just killed
Rom
and also it killed me , went back to the
lake
and my game stopped working , anyone else has heard of this 'cuz i got scared.

I closed the game and it worked fine
the cutscene played ok and got the bloodmoon
I hope it's just a bug and they fix it.

Donos

Those triple Yahargul hunters...why?

To git gud :)

1on1 them. Not all three follow you when you run back to the lamp of this area. Stealth to the first one in the middle of the room and do backstab, run back to lamp and only 1 or 2 follow you. If you die in or near the lamp room, you get your echoes back easily. Worst case is that one enemy in the area before the hunters has them but you have to clear that area every time either way. Depending on their speed, dodge abaility, some hunter are easy to "parry".

Xeilyn

Getting pounded by Blood letting beast (headless) in IIhyl chalice dungeon. More than the beast, i'm fighting the camera. :( Tips are welcome.
I had alot of trouble with him myself and there are alot of different ways to kill him. I didnt use lock on and then baited his 3 punch combo and dodged under him right before the third punch then hit his legs once or twice then backed off, hardly used a single vial this way. When he starts to walk towards you he is most likely going to try and stomp you, just back away and when he stomps rush towards him to close the gap. In his second phase when the head comes out i used a repeating pistol with ash. If you run out of ash try oil+molotovs, he is really aggressive here so dont get greedy and try to stay at full health as much as possible.

To git gud :)

1on1 them. Not all three follow you when you run back to the lamp of this area. Stealth to the first one in the middle of the room and do backstab, run back to lamp and only 1 or 2 follow you. If you die in or near the lamp room, you get your echoes back easily. Worst case is that one enemy in the area before the hunters has them but you have to clear that area every time either way. Depending on their speed, dodge abaility, some hunter are easy to "parry".
Lol this makes sense. I always fought them in the spot before the lamp room and kept getting gang banged.

Chunk farming in Cainhurst is not worth it, drop rate is too low. IF you wanna farm chunks, use eye runes and kill the werewolves in upper cathredral ward. That being said, the easiest method to get chunks now is killing bosses in chalice dungeons. (I think they start dropping at depth 4)

I'm looking for someone who has the Great Pthumeru Ihyll. I am trying to beat Yharnam, Pthumerian Queen for my last trophy. If someone can please help me do so, I'd greatly appreciate it. I have just unlocked the Defiled dungeon, but I want to finish this asap as I'm about to start a five week placement round. I'm not sure when I'll be able to come back to the game.

NEO0MJ

Can anyone give me any tips on how to beat the hunter
in the Grand Cathedral? It's the one for Eileen's quest.
He's causing me way too much damage. One shot is all it takes to remove over half my health.

Top Bottom