• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The very first enemy types that can cause Frenzy in the game is the cross bearing church folks standing in front of the Grand Cathedral.

Frenzy's status effect is basically this swirling symbol with a meter filling the bar on the screen that when it filled, it will take a set amount (a *HUGE* amount) of your HP *immediately* when your character explodes in blood. Like, 80/90% huge. It's HUGE. Since it's a set amount, it will never kill you outright if you have full HP, but some enemies attacks you *and* cause Frenzy, and damage sustained from those attacks in combination in Frenzy will most likely kill you.

One of the deadliest type of enemies in this game cause you Frenzy just by virtue of them spotting you, and they cause you unavoidable damage with transparent spears piercing your character even before your character gets hit with the Frenzy's set damage. Plus they have greatly damaging grab attacks. You will most likely get destroyed mercilessly if you wear church-related garbs against these folk.
Oh geez, I think I know the second type of enemy you're talking about. They're those
eyeball head guys in Nightmare Frontier
right? I was dead before I even knew what was going on because Frenzy built up so fast lol (I was wearing the Executioner's coat). The next time I saw that enemy, I rushed him and tried to kill him before the Frenzy kicked in. It worked, but Frenzy completed and cost me a few vials after killing it.

The thing I don't get about Frenzy is that it seems to continue building up even after the enemy is dead. I don't know how it works or how to avoid/mitigate it besides using a sedative.

The thing I don't get about Frenzy is that it seems to continue building up even after the enemy is dead. I don't know how it works or how to avoid/mitigate it besides using a sedative.
Frenzy builds up after you are hit by an attack that inflicts it. It's not tied to the life of an enemy.

gunbo13

Our knowledge of their development process is equal. We both have no direct insight.
Then you should not be making direct claims.
If the Souls games didn't exist I'd still think parrying is flawed in the ways I think it is.
Except your argument for why parrying is poor is personal preference. Dark Souls 3 is coming.
You're going to have to find a different argument to prove that From really did seriously consider trading as a mechanic in the game.
You are now saying that the trading mechanic is by happenstance? There are multiple mechanisms with how trades work. It doesn't matter if it is byproduct of other designs. The system is not broken, it just operates a specific way.
I've given proof that (for some attacks) just inputs can't be done on reaction many times now.
You have not provided nearly enough evidence to prove that.
In many cases, what you may believe to be prediction is actually just playing a game of odds.
That's a logical contradiction. Prediction encompasses odds.
I have tried to argue with you in good faith, striving to provide proof with my arguments and to generally make them as sound as I can, and I would expect you to do the same.
Well, everything comes to a crossroads eventually.

You are talking to one individual right now in this community OT. If you really want to have further discussion, I advise bringing it to action-gaf. I'll say upfront that they will most likely agree with me, but you are free to feel out the feedback. I am not going to continue this discussion because I honestly find little merit in your analysis. It's all over the place but that's just me, you have a lot of other action game junkies to ping on this forum. This one is saying good day.

NEO0MJ

I...I did it. I finally did it! I killed that SOB! Thought I wouldn't overcome you? Hope you're pleased Eileen, because that was one of the toughest fights in the game for me.

Blades of Mercy are a lot of fun. I'm grinding blood so I can buy everything off the shop now. Only have
Ebrietas
left to defeat and then I can move on to the final boss.

Ferr986

Ouch hahaha. Next time just chuck some poison knives at him and you can also get a free visceral at the beginning by dropping from Viola's body.

To my understanding it is fine so long as you don't enter Forbidden Woods

Ah fuck this. You were right. She isn't at Oedon.
Damn I wanted the BoM as secondary weapons.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Bah, I really hate the white spine on the games case, it sticks out on the shelf. Then I Google "Bloodborne boxart" and notice this sexy piece of ass:

P34L9x6.jpg

WTB that variation instead of this:

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Oh geez, I think I know the second type of enemy you're talking about. They're those
eyeball head guys in Nightmare Frontier
right? I was dead before I even knew what was going on because Frenzy built up so fast lol (I was wearing the Executioner's coat). The next time I saw that enemy, I rushed him and tried to kill him before the Frenzy kicked in. It worked, but Frenzy completed and cost me a few vials after killing it.

Oh the Frontier version is a much weaker version :) You'll see later hahaha.

Ah fuck this. You were right. She isn't at Oedon.
Damn I wanted the BoM as secondary weapons.

If she's not dead chances are you can still obtain BOM by fighting her at the Grand Cathedral post Rom, where she will act hostile towards you.

Failing that, you can always obtain BOM other versions from Chalice Dungeons.

If you're still having difficulties later on, I can help you with Coop. But only around 1-1.5 hours from now.

Oh and consume all those madman's knowledge, it's there for you to swallow :D

Add me in LaughingBanana if you want, and I'll help on whatever areas/bosses that you may find too hard/frustrating to deal with (and it's more fun doing them in coop, hahaha) whenever I am available.

I'll add you tonight.

Seems to me that I still need to learn a few things that I'm not sure of. Are there specific locations that you should ring the bell? At times I ring the bell and wait/play for over 10-15 minutes and no one shows up, not even Alfred.

Also, can you stun bosses with your gun and do a visceral attack on them? What about stunning BSB?

Ferr986

Oh the Frontier version is a much weaker version :) You'll see later hahaha.

If she's not dead chances are you can still obtain BOM by fighting her at the Grand Cathedral post Rom, where she will act hostile towards you.

Failing that, you can always obtain BOM other versions from Chalice Dungeons.

Ah yea, but I wanted the rune too :( Oh well....

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Is the threaded cane the swaggest weapon ever? Yes, it is.

Just need a cane walking animation. PLS FROM!!

0Te7S7m.gif
The cane's my favorite weapon in the game. It's just so versatile.

I went through the middle part of the game with cane/BoM as my two weapons, but as I get further and further into the game, I just see less and less reason to use the BoM. The cane just has an answer for every situation while you have to consciously work around the drawbacks of the BoM. The BoM may have higher DPS in situations where you can get close and go full ham, but that's literally the only thing it has over the cane. And with my current upgrade situation (+9 cane, ~+7 BoM), the cane still wins in DPS most of the time.

Usually I don't go for smaller weapons in Souls games because when I'm fighting a huge monster, I don't want to feel like I'm poking it with a toothpick. But I don't get that feeling with the cane because I often use the whip form against things much bigger than me.

The only thing I feel like is missing on the cane is impact, like staggers or knockbacks. It's great at everything else.

I find it very amusing that I spent most of the game trying and exploring other weapons, and now that I feel like I'm close to the end (I'm at
Nightmare of Mensis
), I'm still rocking the same pistol and cane that I started with 90% of the time.

rajanp22

Does he switch just after a certain amount of time? It isn't triggered by the amount of damage he takes?
I believe so, he kinda did it randomly afaik. If you have a weapon with decent range you could snag a couple hits when he's full scythe mode. Also quickstep dodging is your best friend for the fight. Dodging towards him when he charges up works really well (as it does for most of the game)

So I was in the second layer of a sinister Isz and something weird happened. There was a chest at the top of a set of stairs, with a doorway behind it. After I opened the chest I couldn't get past it to that area. I thought I would end up there going another way but after thoroughly exploring every area there was no way to get there. I'm screwed because the lever is that way. Is this a know glitch?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You can beat him with a level +6 weapon!
Yeah, I went back to him while waiting for my friend to unlock Cainhurst castle so we could coop that area, and I got him with almost nothing but ripostes. Some close calls though. Every now and then I'd get some hits too, and one time he parried me with his gun when he had literally a millimetre of health left and I went "noooooooooooooooooo" but fortunately he was like, a centimer too far to get to me in time for the riposte so I broke free, healed, and finished him off with my gun (doing 15 damage haha). Gods that was a close call. Had 2 vials left too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi6f_d_lSVc

I made this as a tribute for the Watchdog! Loved that boss! Inspired by Metal, Super Meat Boy replay and PeTA/Djura! Hope you like it! New Song too!!!

Here some Gif teaser :
giphy.gif
(Bad Quality)

giphy.gif

Link for the song : http://soundcloud.com/corps-peau-rat...nge-feat-djura
Haha your videos are always amusing. However sometimes there's just really no time to read the text you write because it goes too fast. I don't know if it's intentional or what but it's a little annoying. Might want to leave it for an extra second or two sometimes. No point in writing jokes if we don't have time to read them right? :p

Can I summon you to areas where I already beat the boss? I want you to take care of that annoying hunter that's just taunting me right now ( ._.)
Nope. You're on your own.

Shuhei Yoshida beats the first watchdog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljVnni3vUd8
Haha, Shu's so badass. His strategy looks a lot like mine, but a bit more defensive. The reaction of his peers around him was funny too. The "ohhhhh!!" shouting whenever he'd get in trouble or "Sugoi!" every time he did a nice dodge haha. He had a reaaaally close call near the end too. Pretty exciting! :)

But isn't that the Defiled Watchdog, not the first one?

Can we rename our character or are they stuck with what we named them during the create option at the beginning?
Can't rename. Choose carefully next time. :p

Doomsayer

I did it, y'all. I beat the game, and got the good ending to boot! 50 hours, almost 51 hours into it. Did all the side quests,got all of the hunter tools, and pretty much did everything I could in the first play through.

Incredible experience from beginning to end, can't wait to get started on NG+! I still have to finish the chalice dungeons. I did all of phthermu dungeons (except for Defiled of course) and I'm currently in lower hintertomb, I believe.

It seems the bosses I had trouble with are the consensus easy bosses and vice versa for the ones I took down relatively easy. Micolash and Mergo's Wet Nurse were kind of pushovers after the amount of insane bosses prior. Though
Gherman
fucked me up pretty nice. Then it was hilarious because when I finally killed him
Moon presence came around while I had a sliver of life and no blood vials. Shit was fucked up, but I ended up killing her in one attempt.

I'd say the hardest bosses were BSB, Logarius, and Bloodletting Beast. Easiest were probably Gascoigne, Vicar, and the Witch (seriously felt like a throwaway).

Ferr986

Didn't realize you can get your weapon to +8 rather easily once you step into the Forbidden Woods.

Damn it makes such a difference.

Coming back after a two week break for my third build. Tried SOTFS but man, going back after bloodborne was just undoable for me. Anyway, how's the online holding up? Still plenty of PvP/coop to go around? I do see tons of player outlines.

Ferr986

What? How?

Once you step into the Forbidden Woods, you can gain access to Cainhurst and Nightmare Frontier. Theres enough blood chunks to get a weapon to +8 in these two areas.

You can run past the enemies if you're low level to get them (I think BB is the easiest game to run the enemies, they stop following you too easily).

I did it, y'all. I beat the game, and got the good ending to boot! 50 hours, almost 51 hours into it. Did all the side quests,got all of the hunter tools, and pretty much did everything I could in the first play through.

Incredible experience from beginning to end, can't wait to get started on NG+! I still have to finish the chalice dungeons. I did all of phthermu dungeons (except for Defiled of course) and I'm currently in lower hintertomb, I believe.

It seems the bosses I had trouble with are the consensus easy bosses and vice versa for the ones I took down relatively easy. Micolash and Mergo's Wet Nurse were kind of pushovers after the amount of insane bosses prior. Though
Gherman
fucked me up pretty nice. Then it was hilarious because when I finally killed him
Moon presence came around while I had a sliver of life and no blood vials. Shit was fucked up, but I ended up killing her in one attempt.

I'd say the hardest bosses were BSB, Logarius, and Bloodletting Beast. Easiest were probably Gascoigne, Vicar, and the Witch (seriously felt like a throwaway).

The
witch
is fun in coop, your partner can see the other witch. So you focus two different bosses at the same time

i-Lo

I am far from finishing the game; however, the recent leak of DS3 makes me ask those who have- Does the ending make it possible for a sequel to spawn?

I am far from finishing the game; however, the recent leak of DS3 makes me ask those who have- Does the ending make it possible for a sequel to spawn?

Yes, you dont really change anything to
end the hunt
outside destroying
the church

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I...I did it. I finally did it! I killed that SOB! Thought I wouldn't overcome you? Hope you're pleased Eileen, because that was one of the toughest fights in the game for me.

Blades of Mercy are a lot of fun. I'm grinding blood so I can buy everything off the shop now. Only have
Ebrietas
left to defeat and then I can move on to the final boss.

See, it's not that bad isn't it? :D

Oh it's not that bad really. By the time you get to meet them your character should comparatively stronger and you have access to purchasable Sedatives and Bolt Paper.

It's just that the rather tight place you find them in, and the fact that you need to fight two of them at the same time, can be tricky (well you can run through them but devilishly enough FROM put one of the best offensive gems you can find in the main game nearby those two sooo if you want it.... lol)

I'll add you tonight.

Seems to me that I still need to learn a few things that I'm not sure of. Are there specific locations that you should ring the bell? At times I ring the bell and wait/play for over 10-15 minutes and no one shows up, not even Alfred.

Also, can you stun bosses with your gun and do a visceral attack on them? What about stunning BSB?

There are only two areas and bosses where you are allowed to summon NPCs: Father Gascoigne in Central Yharnam (whom you can bring to fight against Cleric Beast) and Alfred in Old Yharnam (whom you can bring to fight against Blood-Starved Beast). To do so you must use the summoning bell at pre-destined circle of light (at the fountain/near the shortcut to Central Yharnam lamp for the 1st one and for Alfred the circle of light near the bridge that leads towards the BsB area (look behind you when you're facing the entrance to BsB)

Other bosses if you want Coop you must rely on online partners. There are limitations calculated by your current level: generally speaking you can't summon those with a level difference higher than 10 levels + 10% of your current level, so if you are too low or too high than the "general consensus" of a particular area you might have difficulties finding people to play together with.

However as per the latest patch if you set up password this overrides the level limitations. You can, if you want, invite someone playing a level 200 character to join your level 10 game, for example.

As for your second question; yes, all bosses with very few exceptions (I can only think of two, probably three, in the main story) can be put into a state where they can be visceraled. As a general rule *all* humanoid enemies you encounter, including bosses, you can stun them with a gun for a visceral, just like regular mooks. For BsB in particular you can do this as well, but *only* with some of her attacks, while some of her other attacks you just need to evade.

Some bosses (I can think of two) you need to concentrate damage to a single limb (typically their heads) before they are downed. LARGE bosses you can't stun them with a gun to visceral them, but you CAN and you SHOULD target their weakness (most of the time, their heads/limbs) before you can visceral them by attacking at a specific point (their heads) during their downed position.

Ah yea, but I wanted the rune too :( Oh well....

Ehhh, not that important really :)

What? How?

Off the top of my head, discounting enemy drops, you can find 1 Blood Chunk in Forbidden Woods (guarded by three snake guys), 5 Blood Chunks in Cainhurst, and 2 in Nightmare Frontier (this last one requires a bit of luck to get), so that's 8, so yeah, you can get a +8 weapon just by going through these areas.

Just had a great time strategising for Keeper of the Old Lords in Defiled Pthumeru after numerous failed attempts. Ended up pummelling him with the Blades of Mercy with a couple of cursed gems attached, this was after doing a few visceral attacks with extra Clawmark rune damage. Fight lasted about fifteen seconds.

E the Shaggy

Beat the game. Got the
three umbilical chord ending and became a baby old one.

It's funny but after watching all the endings, I feel like the best one is
letting Gerhman kill you and waking you from the dream/returning you to reality.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Off the top of my head, discounting enemy drops, you can find 1 Blood Rock in Forbidden Woods (guarded by three snake guys), 5 Blood Rocks in Cainhurst, and 2 in Nightmare Frontier (this last one requires a bit of luck to get), so that's 8, so yeah, you can get a +8 weapon just by going through these areas.
Those are chunks, not rocks.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Uhh so is blood chunks still a bitch to farm?

Is blood tinge useless?

Hardly. One of the most powerful melee weapons use it in its scaling (well, in one of its modes anyways), and folks with high Bloodtinge generally have a much easier time dealing with the likes of Amygdala or Ebrietas because they can shoot and cause damage to their heads much, much more easily.

Essay

*eyeroll* I guess that's the new low-level lightning uchi pyro Darkwraith, eh.

It must be! However, truth be told, I'm probably going to level this character to the higher-end of PVP-meta by the end of it. At BL110, my Kirkhammer PVP build is nice and optimized, but I'm thinking I might want to hang with the BL150 crowd too, which is where a balanced Skill+Tinge Chikage build comes in.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It must be! However, truth be told, I'm probably going to level this character to the higher-end of PVP-meta by the end of it. At BL110, my Kirkhammer PVP build is nice and optimized, but I'm thinking I might want to hang with the BL150 crowd too, which is where a balanced Skill+Tinge Chikage build comes in.

I am currently playing a new character with the end goal of using Chikage too, although a few things:

1. Still can't decide which gun to pair with it. Evelyn is a popular choice, but for the highest damage nothing can beat Repeating Pistol. However Evelyn is arguably more versatile, but that Repeating Pistol damage ahhhh............

2. Still not used to Chikage's weird modes, and still trying to figure out the best way to compensate for its crazy health-loss cost in its two-hand mode (not really quite convinced yet that the damage compensates for the continuous health loss, especially compared to the likes of physical damage monstrosities that has no drawbacks like Burial Blade (and this one has fantastic range/rally potential) or Ludwig's Holy Blade.)

3. I am currently for the first time really seriously using Threaded Cane and holy crap it's awesome. Amelia lasted only like 10 seconds with it, hahaha, and the range is just insane. I think this is yet another love affair <3

I am half-thinking of actually just sticking with Threaded Cane, hahaha.

Off the top of my head, discounting enemy drops, you can find 1 Blood Chunk in Forbidden Woods (guarded by three snake guys), 5 Blood Chunks in Cainhurst, and 2 in Nightmare Frontier (this last one requires a bit of luck to get), so that's 8, so yeah, you can get a +8 weapon just by going through these areas.
OK, I was interpreting "easily, once you step into Forbidden Woods" differently. But yeah, I guess you could rush through those areas if you wanted to fortify your weapon to +8 ASAP. Don't think I would ever bother.

Top Bottom