• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I remember hearing about the possibility that Moon Presence's name is Flora, and the Doll prays to it.

Huh.

I know about it,
"Flora of the moon...."
But I always thought it was just flowery language and not an actual name....

Then maybe Paleblood is
indeed the Doll
, hahaha, although the Ya'hargul note seem to indicate the MP as the most likely candidate for it.

What's the level the community stopped at? I'm 160 and I'm contemplating going to 170.

Generally they go to 150. And since with 150 you can play with people from 100 to 200, it covers a wide range of players.

Soulhouf

What's the level the community stopped at? I'm 160 and I'm contemplating going to 170.

Most of people that do PvP stop at 100. I think it's a good level to stop at because you can maximize one stat and make decision to where to put the other points (usually in vitality and endurance).

Personally, if you want to make a fun PvP build, I think 85 is the good level to stop at in this game because it gives you the opportunity to make more builds and makes you think whether to spend your points in offense vs defense.
For example if you want to make a Ludwig's Holy Blade build, you can't just maximize the damage and your vitality. You need to sacrifice vitality if you want more power and so on.

dock

I started playing again for the first time in a month or two, but then I realised I had no blood vials, and I didn't have the energy to farm for new ones. I turned off the game and ejected the disc. :(

I would pay for DLC for blood vials. Farming them is so dull.

Just coop through it. It's fun :)

Hit me up whenever you want to do coop. PSN: LaughingBanana

Thanks, I'll try that!

Soulhouf

I started playing again for the first time in a month or two, but then I realised I had no blood vials, and I didn't have the energy to farm for new ones. I turned off the game and ejected the disc. :(

Always buy blood vials with your echoes. Never level up unless you're confident you have enough vials.
That way you never have to farm for them.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Had good games with Laughing Banana and Go Hard.
#RIP
Blood Starved Beast
and
Vicar Amelia

Also i think this is one of the best games i've ever played.

dock

Always buy blood vials with your echoes. Never level up unless you're confident you have enough vials.
That way you never have to farm for them.

I did this for a while, but I must have run out in my stash, and now I can't bare to grind to build up another cache. It's not the first time I've ran into a lack of resources while playing and have found myself having a miserable and tedious time.

Mergo's wet nurse is so cool. Really quite easy as long as you don't fuck up on the last 5% and get one-spotted by her upward slice attack...three times in a row iupaehifjshidjskjdgssfscdadagababa

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
For some reason the prospect of having to explore Ailing Loran makes me ill... well, to be precise, beyond layer one since I cleared it out already. Ughhh.

Maridia

I did this for a while, but I must have run out in my stash, and now I can't bare to grind to build up another cache. It's not the first time I've ran into a lack of resources while playing and have found myself having a miserable and tedious time.

Just go to the Great Bridge, kill the enemies through the two wolves and run back to the bonfire. 6-8 blood vials per go. Takes considerably less than 5 minutes to dime out your supply.

I'm as happy as the next guy that they're going back to Estus for Dark Souls 3, but I feel like "miserable and tedious" is overstating the case just a little bit.

Most of people that do PvP stop at 100. I think it's a good level to stop at because you can maximize one stat and make decision to where to put the other points (usually in vitality and endurance).

Personally, if you want to make a fun PvP build, I think 85 is the good level to stop at in this game because it gives you the opportunity to make more builds and makes you think whether to spend your points in offense vs defense.
For example if you want to make a Ludwig's Holy Blade build, you can't just maximize the damage and your vitality. You need to sacrifice vitality if you want more power and so on.
Awww, but I like my current build. My character is so strong and I still find a couple matches.

I would pay for DLC for blood vials. Farming them is so dull.
I wish there was a way to drop items like in Dark Soul's. I'm drowning in vials and I'd give you 200 vials at no charge. I'd throw in some numbing mists as well.

Mergo's wet nurse is so cool. Really quite easy as long as you don't fuck up on the last 5% and get one-spotted by her upward slice attack...three times in a row iupaehifjshidjskjdgssfscdadagababa
Mergo is pretty fun especially when she starts cloning herself and starts attacking from the shadows...not hard though...even though I was in the mid 90's when I beat the game.

Well, I can't find any info out there about the Blood Echoe farming spot in Isz other than a couple videos showing kills of the first mob only. So, if anyone cares, you can get about 5 million Echoes an hour killing the
alien looking dudes and ignoring the dogs between the mobs.
It nets roughly 160k every 2 minutes with Moon runes equipped.

With that said, if you hit the hard cap on all stats (40 End and 50 everything else), would excess points be best spent in Endurance since resistance still goes up? I plan on hitting the hard cap and then playing quite a bit more with my character, and I don't know where to put any other points when I inevitably level up again.

pixxxelz

What I do is just use my echoes to level up and then use wherever I have left to buy blood vials or bullets.

N° 2048

Welp, after about 46 hours of play time. I'd say I'm done for a bit.

Didn't finish it but I'm pretty damn satisfied. I'm sure I will come back to finish it later down the line. For those curious I got up to the
3 hunters

Despera

Banned
Just went through all the chalices (twice since I was helping a friend as well). I think the only thing left to do is PvP and maybe try to understand the lore better.

Well, the note on Lecture Hall 2nd floor stated something to the tune of
"the being summoned by Laurence and his cooperators. Paleblood."
Considering that we know for a certain that Gherman is
indeed Laurence's associate, and he is trapped there in the dream world
, and one of the ending actually has
Moon Presence fashioned you into the new guardian of the dream
, and one of the other endings has you
turned into an infant Great One--and as such, "transcending the Hunt"--only by defeating Moon Presence--"seek Paleblood"
, then there's plenty of argument to be made that
Paleblood is Moon Presence's name.

Although... I do agree that t
he Doll is an actual Great One
I think that there's no doubt Paleblood has something to do with the
Moon Presence
. The description of the 1/3 umbilical cord found in
the old workshop built by Gehrman
has this to say
"The Third Umbilical Cord precipitated the encounter with the pale moon, which beckoned the hunters and conceived the hunter's dream."
Gehrman is
one of Laurence's associates
, we know that by now. The message in the lecture hall reads
"The nameless moon presence beckoned by Laurence and his associates. Paleblood."
. So we know that Laurence, along with Gehrman,
encountered the pale moon by using 1/3 umbilical cord, which beckoned the Moon Presence
, and while its referred to as
nameless
you still have
Paleblood mentioned as a reference to it at the end of the same message.

In
Yahar'gul
there's a message that reads
"Behold! A Paleblood sky!"
in reference to
the sky with the blood moon, the same moon we see the Moon Presence descend from in the hunter's dream.

In the beginning of the game the blood minister says "Oh yes... Paleblood...". Perhaps our hunter awoke in the clinic with nothing but the scrawl reading "Seek Paleblood to transcend the hunt" in hand, and so the minister commented on that. All we know at that point is that in order to escape the nightmare of the hunt we need to seek paleblood.

In the game we encounter 2 instances where we get the message
"Nightmare Slain". One after defeating Mergo's Wet Nurse and the other after defeating the Moon Presence. Considering the fact that Micolash hosted the nightmare of mensis, the same location we find Mergo, we can conclude that the nightmare of mensis was caused by Mergo's wet nurse (probably a great one itself). Slaying this nightmare doesn't lead our hunter to transcend the hunt. However, defeating the Moon Presence ends the other nightmare, which I believe is the nightmare affecting our hunter, leading us to "transcend the hunt" by joining the ranks of the great ones.
Another reason why I believe that paleblood
is in reference to the moon presence.

My theory is that
the moon presence is a being shunned by the great ones and considered of lesser blood "paleblood" (possibly the result of a failed attempt at becoming a great one?). So now in an act of defiance and perhaps jealousy, summons hunters and traps them in the dream, where they are granted the ability to channel blood echoes, so they can efficiently seek and kill great ones.

At the end of our journey the moon presence freaks out if three 1/3 umbilical cords were to be consumed beforehand. It's possible that consuming the cords leads the moon presence to associate us with the great ones, resulting in the alarmed reaction we witness upon embracing our hunter. By defeating it we are accepted by the great ones, and become one of them, lifting humanity to the next stage and into godhood (probably following in the footsteps of the Pthumerians)

Well these are my thoughts written in a hurry so I apologize if some parts are a bit confusing :p

I still have a lot of questions though, like who wrote the damn scrawl telling us to seek paleblood in the first place?

My take on M
oon
P
resence
is that
it is no different than any other Great One, and probably doesn't even know (or doesn't care) that its realm, or what is called the Hunter's Dream is being used to facilitate hunts. It only cares about having a child.

Also, I managed to draw a lot of parallels between the Nightmare of Menesis and the Hunter's Dream awhile back. I believe that technically the Hunter's Dream is a nightmare as well, being called a Dream as a misnomer by Gherman. Both are created through contact with a great one via umbilical cord, both have a sort of host (Gherman and Micholash), both have "nightmare" beings (Mergo and Moon Presence), and assumingly both are based on real locations. I think the fact that it is possible to create a nightmare to facilitate the need of man gives the possibility that Moon Presence has no ulterior motives of its own as far as the Hunt is concerned.

I still have a lot of questions though, like who wrote the damn scrawl telling us to seek paleblood in the first place?
My guess are
the nightmare messengers which began to appear when the contract was made.

So I beat the forbidden woods. In terms of difficulty which zone should I do next? (which one is easier :p) Byrgenwerth, Cainhurst Castle, or Nightmare Frontier/lecture building?

edit- yeah because this flea thing is fucking my shit up and I'm level 61. Do I just suck?

So I beat the forbidden woods. In terms of difficulty which zone should I do next? (which one is easier :p) Byrgenwerth, Cainhurst Castle, or Nightmare Frontier/lecture building?

edit- yeah because this flea thing is fucking my shit up and I'm level 61. Do I just suck?
Byrgenwerth

Edit: I think it fucks everyone up lol. I ran around the whole map with those things chasing me killing them off one by one. After that I just ran past them

Edit2: If you have chernel lane unlocked, go there. The boss there is the easiest.

pixxxelz

yeah because this flea thing is fucking my shit up and I'm level 61. Do I just suck?
Just ignore them and run inside, its not even worth fighting them the ones in the left corner drop some bloodtinge gems but they're nothing special, you'll be alright once you're inside.

Do Byrgenwerth. It's the easiest of those and the shortest. The beginning of Cainhurst with all the fleas is the hardest part of it. You could just run past all of the fleas.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Martyr Logarius is certainly tough!

Also, whatever the hell the main enemy you fight upon entering the Cainhurst gate is called... holy fuck, my compliments to From on their design. They're grotesque in yet another novel way, the method by which they chase you is terrifying, and they still don't feel easy to me even after learning forwards and backwards how to fight them.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Martyr Logarius is certainly tough!

Also, whatever the hell the main enemy you fight upon entering the Cainhurst gate is called... holy fuck, my compliments to From on their design. They're grotesque in yet another novel way, the method by which they chase you is terrifying, and they still don't feel easy to me even after learning forwards and backwards how to fight them.

The Bloodlickers have surprisingly low poise, so fast rapid weapons work best against them. Blade of Mercy, for instance, really fucks them up once you start that dual-blade combo going. I personally just go ham on them every time with the Threaded Cane--it's Cane version is Righteous so it has extra damage to them (and almost everything else in Cainhurst). Ludwig also Righteous in both its forms, iirc, but it's just kind of slow.

Essay

Gah, the Defiled Watchdog's bellyflop is going to be the end of me. He always activates it right after I close the distance with an attack, and dashing twice in any direction still has it home-in on me for the one-shot kill.

myco666

Gah, the Defiled Watchdog's bellyflop is going to be the end of me. He always activates it right after I close the distance with an attack, and dashing twice in any direction still has it home-in on me for the one-shot kill.

Bellyflop? Just keep always safe distance and attack only after his attack or when he throws up.

70 hours in, and I just found out that you can actually cast using the Hunter Tools. Executioner Gloves are kind of cheesy in a good way. I used blood bullets and spammed EG on Defiled Amygdala's face for the last third of the fight.

I've been doing a level 4 run, and I was actually breezing through at a nice pace until I got to
Unseen Village
. It's easy to run through the place, but this is the first time I've ever struggled with
One Reborn

That's to be expected at a low level, so I tried Cainhurst. Managed to get to
Logarious
, but he kicked my ass a bunch.

I figured I'd see how impossible the hunter in Grand Cathedral is, but he actually isn't too bad. He's killed me 10 times now, but I'm certain I can beat him. Only problem is his damn pistol can one shot you, though luckily it doesn't always happen.

I didn't end up making much progress today (only boss I beat was Brainsucker in Lower Hintertomb), but I think I can pull through. Honestly wasn't sure if I would ever make it this far, so I'm feeling good.

myco666

Yeah, that. It's like the game suddenly gets sentient and realizes that you understand the boss, and then it does THAT.

Haha it is really rare attack. Though I usually stay really close to him at all times so that might be why I don't see it often.

70 hours in, and I just found out that you can actually cast using the Hunter Tools. Executioner Gloves are kind of cheesy in a good way. I used blood bullets and spammed EG on Defiled Amygdala's face for the last third of the fight.

Hunter Tools are great with high Arcane and once you learn how to time them properly to get highest damage. Eats alot of bullets though.

klee123

2 blood rocks in one chalice run. Soooo happy.

Already have 3 lvl 10 weapons so I might use the next 2 on Chikage and Uncanny Burial Blade.

Hey everyone,

I think I'm reaching towards the end of the game
waiting to fight Gerhman
but want to see if there any areas that I have not uncovered. Been playing the game with no guides or assistance all these months (and damn is it hard) but just wanted to ask: Do areas you can select from each altair eventually fill up the list? If that's the case I've only discovered all lamps I can transport to through the first altair (Yarhnam). Already did some awesome discoveries just from exploring such as
finding the key in the Unseen Village that opens the door in the Healing Church Workshop leading to The Choir area.
So awesome.

Hey everyone,

I think I'm reaching towards the end of the game
waiting to fight Gerhman
but want to see if there any areas that I have not uncovered. Been playing the game with no guides or assistance all these months (and damn is it hard) but just wanted to ask: Do areas you can select from each altair eventually fill up the list? If that's the case I've only discovered all lamps I can transport to through the first altair (Yarhnam). Already did some awesome discoveries just from exploring such as
finding the key in the Unseen Village that opens the door in the Healing Church Workshop leading to The Choir area.
So awesome.

They don't fill up the whole list on the others I don't think.

Here are the other optional areas as far as I know:
N
ightmare
F
rontier
O
ld
Y
arhnam
(I think most people do this one though)
C
ainhurst
C
astle
. This one is probably the trickiest one to find after the Upper Cathedral Ward.
H
emwick

I think that's it. Each of those areas has a boss too, and there are a few optional bosses in the main areas as well.

butman

GAF, I'm at a point where I can face bosses, where all are equally difficult atm.

From the most difficult to the less:

1. Gehrman, the First Hunter (Very fast, a lot of damage by hit)
2. Amygdala (Too difficult when i'm trying to surround him, he hit you from everywhere. He have the body like The One Reborn but in this case you don't have a higher ground to hit him, i beat The One by falling slash then run again on top)
3. Martyr Logarius (The easiest and slowest one atm, but when he summons the air swords i'm doomed)

- Which of them do you recommend to face first?
- I'm not too much using coop help, i only used it on Father Gascoigne, and then i didn't use it more. It's time to leave my pride a part and ask for help? or should keep trying and level up?

*I have The Witcher 3 waiting for me, but i like to play one game at the time. Especially if it is a rpg. And i really want to start it.

I am 100% addicted to making hot dudes. Yharnam biddies won't know what to do with themselves soon.

CFlssZZ.jpg

GAF, I'm at a point where I can face bosses, where all are equally difficult atm.

2. Amygdala (Too difficult when i'm trying to surround him, he hit you from everywhere. He have the body like The One Reborn but in this case you don't have a higher ground to hit him, i beat The One by falling slash then run again on top)
3. Martyr Logarius (The easiest and slowest one atm, but when he summons the air swords i'm doomed)

- I'm not too much using coop help, i only used it on Father Gascoigne, and then i didn't use it more. It's time to leave my pride a part and ask for help? or should keep trying and level up?

*I have The Witcher 3 waiting for me, but i like to play one game at the time. Especially if it is a rpg. And i really want to start it.
#2 is actually quite easy. Just keep your distance from him until he does that ground slam where his head is on the floor. Just throw on some bolt paper and smash his noggin a few times and then visceral him when you can.
I am 100% addicted to making hot dudes. Yharnam biddies won't know what to do with themselves soon.
Once you get that Crowfeather garb he'll look like Jon Snow.

They don't fill up the whole list on the others I don't think.

Here are the other optional areas as far as I know:
N
ightmare
F
rontier
O
ld
Y
arhnam
(I think most people do this one though)
C
ainhurst
C
astle
. This one is probably the trickiest one to find after the Upper Cathedral Ward.
H
emwick

I think that's it. Each of those areas has a boss too, and there are a few optional bosses in the main areas as well.
You forgot
Upper Cathedral Ward

#3 is very easy. Before he
summons the swords he dashes his own sword into the ground. Just sprint forward and hit THIS sword in the ground. It will disappear and the swords in the air will not spawn.

Yea, a few people in here said they missed this. Which is a shame because that's where Ebrietas is.
And Celestial Emissary. He's not even hard though, just bolt paper and work his mobs. Not locking on helps too since it's better to roll away than that dash.

dralla

And Celestial Emissary. He's not even hard though, just bolt paper and work his mobs. Not locking on helps too since it's better to roll away than that dash.

Yea, but I think Ebrietas is one of the better fights in the game, and arguably the most difficult. Emissary felt like the sub boss before you get to Ebrietas

Soulhouf

Be aware that when you beat Gherman the game will throw you immediately in NG+, so keep that one for last.
Did you beat Ebrietas?

butman

Be aware that when you beat Gherman the game will throw you immediately in NG+, so keep that one for last.
Did you beat Ebrietas?

OK. I had the feeling that it would be the last fight.

Nope i didn't fight Ebrietas, should her appears at some point after beaten one of the other 2 bosses that i mentioned before? Because as i recall there's no other place left to go i think...

Oh,
another Boss that i forgot that i can face too is the Hunter waiting at Cathedral Ward, where Vicar Amelia was before. Another very tough and fast one.

Nope i didn't fight Ebrietas, should her appears at some point after beaten one of the other 2 bosses that i mentioned before? Because as i recall there's no other place left to go i think...

Oh,
another Boss that i forgot that i can face too is the Hunter waiting at Cathedral Ward, where Vicar Amelia was before. Another very tough and fast one.
For Ebrietas just break the window after the celestial emissary fight. Have fun fighting the flying spaghetti monster.

Oh,
For the Logarius fight, you don't need to hit the sword yourself. Just shoot it after he plants it on the ground.

Amygdala is one of my favorite fights. The arms and head are the weak point. So if you feel comfortable staying to its side, wack at the arms. If not, bait the slam attack so it lowers its head. When it does its jump attack, you should wait a second before rolling. If you don't, it'll do massive damage.

Ebrietas is a fairly difficult fight so prepare yourself.

I defeated the Bloodletting Beast yesterday in the rotting Pthumerian Ihyll chalice. His super punch is hilarious; the first battle he did it I slightly mistimed my roll and he took a chunk of my health. Each battle after that the punch one hit KO'd me lol. I have my vitality at 50. So that attack does more than 1500 damage. Watch out for it if you're at depth 5 chalices.

Rush_Khan

Have people searched the game files yet and found anything interesting or possibly related to the DLC, or is that not possible on the PS4?

I was just reading the Story and Lore thread for the first time and there are so many interesting - yet conflicting - theories. I really hope the DLC will clear many of the misconceptions up.

Top Bottom