• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Finalow

from patch notes I see that co-op with passwords now works regardless of level, and pvp works with passwords too, damn. are some people here still hosting pvp matches or something? And what's more or less the level of the pvp active community right now?
is NOW co-op actually active in chalice dungeons? I played the game a lot in the first weeks and co-op was dead there. same for pvp, without password can you actually find people now? When I was doing only pvp I was getting maybe one match each 5-10 minutes, if I was lucky. and yes, it was in a level with the maiden still alive.

I'm itching to bring back my bloodtinge chara, is Evelyn/Cannon + marrow ash still a broken as fuck combo? I used to one-shot people with that lol.

also I'm only missing the Queen trophy for my platinum, with the new patch however I can invite anyone right? Even at max level. sucks though that all the chalice dungeons are unlocked on my chara with the worst build.
anyone? ;^(

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
anyone? ;^(

Invite people from here! For example, I'll be more than willing to help you out getting the last trophy (and it gives me more excuse to play Bloodborne, lol) PSN LaughingBanana

Anyone else, feel free to ask me for coop help as well if you want! I'll be sure to always help whenever I can.

Oh, and while Evelyn + Bone Marrow Ash is powerful, Repeating Pistol is even more so :D

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I am playing this for the first time and am loving it so far. The only thing that annoys me so far in the game is that you cannot level up at lamps. The loading times are sometimes so long going to hunters dream and back.

Also the summoning system sucks eggs compared to Dark Souls, only once have I been able to summon someone in a chalice dungeon! That is unless the community is dead now.

I feel like I have messed up my build as well.

30 Vit
26 End
25 Str
30 Skill
20 Blood
8 Arcane

Not sure what to level up next, tempted to get skill to 40 and maybe level up bloodtinge as I would like to deal more damage with Evelyn.

Also still using the Threaded Cane!

I am playing this for the first time and am loving it so far. The only thing that annoys me so far in the game is that you cannot level up at lamps. The loading times are sometimes so long going to hunters dream and back.

Also the summoning system sucks eggs compared to Dark Souls, only once have I been able to summon someone in a chalice dungeon! That is unless the community is dead now.

I feel like I have messed up my build as well.

30 Vit
26 End
25 Str
30 Skill
20 Blood
8 Arcane

Not sure what to level up next, tempted to get skill to 40 and maybe level up bloodtinge as I would like to deal more damage with Evelyn.

Also still using the Threaded Cane!
Based on what you say you're using you pumped way too many points into strength. I have two skill characters. One has skill at 18 I think because I was using Ludwig's Holy Blade and the other at 10 because I said fuck the LHB for that character. Strength is only at 10 because that's the minimum requirement for the Rifle Spear, which I stopped using once I made an early run to Castle Cainhurst to get the Reiterpallasch. Also my level 61 character has higher skill than yours at 33, it helps to know what you want to do with your character early on and prioritize that stat from the beginning because of weapon stat scaling.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Everyone is so in love with Evelyn, Repeating Pistol gets ignored :(

I was using that for a while but I disliked it using two QS bullets.

Yeah I really regret pumping so much into strength. Not sure why I did it. Eventually I want to use the Burial Blade so I am not sure if the scaling in both stats will help. (but then I guess that scaled with Arcane as well, fuck)

Admodieus

Just started playing this over the weekend. First real "Souls" game, gave Dark Souls 1 a chance a few years ago but didn't really put a lot of effort into it.

Struggled a bit getting to and through Cleric Beast, but Father G was a first-attempt kill for me and I've been pretty solid since then. Just reached Old Yharnam and have a guy with a gatling gun trying to pick me off. Any tips for my first run through?

Soulhouf

Everyone is so in love with Evelyn, Repeating Pistol gets ignored :(

Because it's good for parrying, does a decent amount of damage with only one bullet.
That's why :(
I have them both maxed but TBH I usually prefer to use Evelyn because it does good damage (albeit inferior to Repeting Pistol) with only one bullet. I also like parrying a lot.

Just started playing this over the weekend. First real "Souls" game, gave Dark Souls 1 a chance a few years ago but didn't really put a lot of effort into it.

Struggled a bit getting to and through Cleric Beast, but Father G was a first-attempt kill for me and I've been pretty solid since then. Just reached Old Yharnam and have a guy with a gatling gun trying to pick me off. Any tips for my first run through?
Get to the edge before you drop, roll onto the tower that is to the right of all those crows, roll off that and drop down to the ledge. Epic Name Bro on youtube has a decent guide of the "Yharnam YOLO" dies several times doing it, but once you get how to do it it's a reliable one on subsequent playthroughs. It takes you to a room with the Charred Hunters garb and the Rifle Spear as well.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I parry a lot, Repeating Pistol would eat up too many bullets.

I was using that for a while but I disliked it using two QS bullets.

Yeah I really regret pumping so much into strength. Not sure why I did it. Eventually I want to use the Burial Blade so I am not sure if the scaling in both stats will help. (but then I guess that scaled with Arcane as well, fuck)

Because it's good for parrying, does a decent amount of damage with only one bullet.
That's why :(

True to the in game description, Repeating Pistol should be reserved only for kickass moment only, and it paired with BMA is just pure sex <3 For parrying and general adventuring I just use Blunderbuss.

Oh, and Label, Burial Blade actually gets quite a significant attack raise from Strength, even more than if you raise Arcane in fact, despite what the scaling might suggest.

True to the in game description, Repeating Pistol should be reserved only for kickass moment only, and it paired with BMA is just pure sex <3 For parrying and general adventuring I just use Blunderbuss.

Oh, and Label, Burial Blade actually gets quite a significant attack raise from Strength, even more than if you raise Arcane in fact, despite what the scaling might suggest.
Evelyn also looks swag as fuck, also shows that my current character is pretty capable since I was able to go through Cainhurst before I finished Forbidden Woods. All I need to do now is beat Logarius so I can get access to the Chikage. Weird out of sync runs are quite entertaining, I didn't even think it was feasible.

Soulhouf

I don't like having many guns TBH. Evelyn does the job very well for parrying and damage (albeit inferior to Repeting Pistol).

Scaling damage depends a lot on the base damage. If you have a very low base damage, even with a SSS scaling, the bonus remains insignificant.

pixxxelz

It's actually easier than Watch Dog once you learnt its attacks pattern :D

iRAWR helped me with the previous bosses, I'd be stuck on keeper of the old lords if it wasn't for him &#128517;

Nice :) congrats! On to the next dungeon which is easier IMO..first boss is kinda rough tho :p
Got the two red jellys from isz too,
Isn't one of bosses in that dungeon bloodletting beast? That guy along with abhorrent beast are the bane of my existence..

After a brief break from it, I finally just finished this game over the weekend. When I first rolled credits, I was relieved that it was finally over. I had a lot of fun with the game, but it was so hard, I didn't think I'd ever play it again.

Yesterday I started another run through and was having just as much fun as before. I think I'm going to try picking up some of those optional bosses that I missed last time through.

What a fantastic game.

After a brief break from it, I finally just finished this game over the weekend. When I first rolled credits, I was relieved that it was finally over. I had a lot of fun with the game, but it was so hard, I didn't think I'd ever play it again.

Yesterday I started another run through and was having just as much fun as before. I think I'm going to try picking up some of those optional bosses that I missed last time through.

What a fantastic game.
Also switch some stuff up a bit. I specifically opened up Castle Cainhurst before I finished the Woods so I can get Reiterpallasch, Evelyn and the Knights outfit early. Made that play through quite fun actually since Cainhurst is higher level, but very doable depending on how you're leveled, you just have to be careful still.

iRAWR helped me with the previous bosses, I'd be stuck on keeper of the old lords if it wasn't for him &#128517;

Got the two red jellys from isz too,
Isn't one of bosses in that dungeon bloodletting beast? That guy along with abhorrent beast are the bane of my existence..
Yeah one of them is the bloodletting beast. I can be on later to help you finish the next dungeon off.

Brandwin

I’ve put in about 35 hours and I am ranked a 80. I have been using the Threaded Cane for the most part with some Axe and Blade of Mercy mixed in and Bunderbuss. I didn’t realize Blood Chunks were for upgrading your weapons. So my cane is at a +7 right now. I was using Chunks to just get more echos. Oops! Hopefully I can find more to get it up to a +9 and the Blood Rock to get to +10.

Can anyone help me and tell me what else I should sink stats in to?

My stats look like this -

Vitality - 43
Endurance - 20
Strength - 13
Skill - 40
Bloodtige - 7
Arcane - 7

I’ve put in about 35 hours and I am ranked a 80. I have been using the Threaded Cane for the most part with some Axe and Blade of Mercy mixed in and Bunderbuss. I didn’t realize Blood Chunks were for upgrading your weapons. So my cane is at a +7 right now. I was using Chunks to just get more echos. Oops! Hopefully I can find more to get it up to a +9 and the Blood Rock to get to +10.

Can anyone help me and tell me what else I should sink stats in to?

My stats look like this -

Vitality - 43
Endurance - 20
Strength - 13
Skill - 40
Bloodtige - 7
Arcane - 7
Dude you dun goofed with those chunks it's a rare drop. You need to either farm them from the gargoyles in Cainhurst or the wolves in upper cathedral ward. With that strength rating you shouldn't even be using the axe since it's probably your weakest weapon.

SoldnerKei

so, I am done with my NG playthrough, thou I don't know what to think about the ending haha, it was the
kill moon presense
ending

so what can I expect from NG+ it's like Souls series where some stronger enemies appear on new places or something like that? I haven't played much NG+

I didn't explore much of the Chalice Dungeons thou, I guess I'll give them a try on NG+

so, I am done with my NG playthrough, thou I don't know what to think about the ending haha, it was the
kill moon presense
ending

so what can I expect from NG+ it's like Souls series where some stronger enemies appear on new places or something like that? I haven't played much NG+

I didn't explore much of the Chalice Dungeons thou, I guess I'll give them a try on NG+
You can hit the chalice dungeons they're not that bad in small doses actually. The first couple will be a cake walk though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
lol, wtf. Why am I having issues with this undead giant in lower pthumeru, it's baffling me
I just got to Byrgenwerth and am not quite sure where to go next, any directing hints?

Some more details:

I managed to beat the Shadows of Yharnam which was a big win for me, before I went on vacation they were giving me a tonne of trouble. Staying mobile during that fight + some visceral attacks helped. Anyways, so I made my way to Byrgenwerth and explored what I think was everything. There's that hunter in the house who's giving me a lot of trouble, I can get his health down to the last little chunk but I always end up dying. I ran past him and went upstairs and got a key. Other than killing the hunter dude, the only other thing I can think of is trying to take on that large scorpion type thing near the water.

Edit: Am around level 48
man, I wish I could relive the realization of how to access the next boss you're at.

lol, wtf. Why am I having issues with this undead giant in lower pthumeru, it's baffling me
man, I wish I could relive the realization of how to access the next boss you're at.
His third phase is a pain in the ass. That's the dash in and out phase. One hit and dodge cause his range is fucking sadistic. Why does everyone call the byrgenwerth hunter a he? That's a she people.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Invite people from here! For example, I'll be more than willing to help you out getting the last trophy (and it gives me more excuse to play Bloodborne, lol) PSN LaughingBanana

Anyone else, feel free to ask me for coop help as well if you want! I'll be sure to always help whenever I can.

Oh, and while Evelyn + Bone Marrow Ash is powerful, Repeating Pistol is even more so :D
I can confirm this!

I'll be playing tomorrow night. :3

dralla

I just beat Mico on NG+ but what's weird is that
he never made it to his second room. I landed on his head before he got to it and it aggro'd him in the hallway. He had the same attack pattern as the first room, so no one hit kill spell either

Yeah, I just finished that boss and finding him was pretty great. The boss itself is pretty fun too. If not a little tedious.

I haven't really run into much difficulty with this game, but holy shit are the FRC Chalices just awful in the most frustrating way. Having to slog through so many mobs that can one shot and cheese bosses is not my idea of fun. There is no flow to a boss fight when regular attacks kill in one hit.

On a related note, the rarity 20 blood gems are a total letdown. They are so arduous to farm, and the random effects stack the deck against you in terms of getting one that will outshine a lower rarity gem by even the slightest bit. In contrast, there are plenty of comparable gems that can be farmed in less than a minute with almost no resistance.

The endgame (or post-endgame, whatever) content is utter shit in an otherwise great game.

FRC dungeons are more about finding the right glyph and farming mobs in it for bloodgems, not fighting bosses.

Every rarity 20 gem (that I am aware of) drops from a boss in an FRC Chalice at the end of it, meaning you have to fight 3 or 4 bosses every time. Even save scumming won't do much to lessen the grind.

mulac

So how does NG+ actually work?
I just arrived at the Nightmare of Mensis last night so figure i must be close to the end game.

Debating whether or not I platinum this given i've yet to get into Witcher3/Batman etc.

The trophies i've got stay, right? Is it fairly straight forward to get to the plat in NG+?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So people, this will be your last chance inviting overpowered folks to help you out before the stat adjustment fix is coming in 1.05, lol.

pixxxelz

Thanks to IRAWRasaurus help with defiled dungeon I finnaly did it! :D
bxpTkAS.jpg

Favorite boss fight in the game by far.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
But it doesn't affect weapons (?) so if you have +10 weapon with good gems you will probably still wreck almost anything.

I wonder how it'll work.

If a level 200 50/40/50/50/10 player gets invited to, say, level 100 player, will his/her stat be slashed to something like 30/25/30/5/10 or something like that? Hmmm.

But it doesn't affect weapons (?) so if you have +10 weapon with good gems you will probably still wreck almost anything.
I think they implemented this more because it presents an obvious problem for invaders. Most of your defense stat comes from leveling up, not armor, so unless you managed to do low level runs of chalice dungeons you'll pretty much do no damage to coop invaders that are passworded.

EDIT: I just realized this means that it'll be harder for high level players to help lower level players get through the chalice dungeons in order to have ridiculous gems on their level 30 or so characters.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So! Want to challenge myself more so I'm thinking to make an Arcane Build (finally). Going after 50 Arcane of course. If any of you have experience playing around with Arcane build, what weapon should I use and what is the stat progression should be, especially in the beginnings.

I imagine it'll be much more difficult than STR/SKL/Bloodtinge, but I want to spice it up a bit for my new character.

Daante

Hey guys, need a little advice from experience people.

So long story short, im a Souls lover, and i rank the games Demons -> Dark -> Dark 2.
I had high expectations for Bloodborne, but the game have NOT yet clicked on that special level that Demons and Dark 1 did.

Im lvl 70+ something, and have built my character around str and skill, str is currently around 30 and skill around 20. I have used guns very, very little, only on like one boss battle where i actually managed to stun the boss with my shotgun. I have not felt the need for guns on regular enemies so far, and i have played most of the time with the axe and Ludvigs holy blade witch i have both upgraded. Im feeling i have used the same moves and the same weapons for a very long time now. I have done one chalice dungeon witch i found neither good nor bad.

My biggest problem with Bloodborne currently is that i have not yet felt that progress feeling, that the other souls games does so freaking good.

I actually discussed this with a close friend of mine recently, who is also a big Souls lover, and he felt the exact same way as me.. We both agreed that progress and getting that feeling of becoming stronger and better, in combination with finding good loot/new items /weapons and armors is extremely important for these kind of games, and we both think that Bloodborne is inferior to Demons and both Dark games in this aspect (he has not played Bloodborne as much as me)

I might be playing this game wrong (?) and that`s why i write this. Im not trying to hate the game no no, i really want to like the game, and understand why the majority ranks it higher than Demons and Dark 1.

myco666

So! Want to challenge myself more so I'm thinking to make an Arcane Build (finally). Going after 50 Arcane of course. If any of you have experience playing around with Arcane build, what weapon should I use and what is the stat progression should be, especially in the beginnings.

I imagine it'll be much more difficult than STR/SKL/Bloodtinge, but I want to spice it up a bit for my new character.

My 50 Arcane character used Flamesprayer and Tonitrus through most of the game. Almost any weapon is good for Arcane once you get elemental gems but AFAIK LHB is the best unless you get lost versions. For stats I went with lowest requirements for weapons and bumped Arcane high as fast as possible. Vitality and Endurance levelling went roighly same as every other of my builds (30/25). To get Arcane build to really work you need to farm for good gems which makes the build not so fun IMO but atleast you get awesome Hunter Tool at the end.

How to play Arcane (spoiling in case you want to figure out on your own):
1. Get Saw Cleaver or Saw Spear. They have waning sockets.
2. Use Motolovs prior to getting the Hunter's Torch and Flamesprayer.
3. Once you do get the Hunter's Torch and Flamesprayer, you are basically a Pyromancer.
4. You can get your first fire gem in Pthumeru 1 from the undead with flaming weapons. Socket your Saw with it.
4b. Either that, or just stick with Flamesprayer instead.
5. Tonitrus will be your lightning weapon.
6. Physical gems go to Tonitrus. For Saw Cleaver/Spear or any other converted element weapon, use gems such as "Increased damage against Beast/Kin" or "Increased Charged Attack Damage" and whatnot as alternatives.
And from there you have your build, and you find any gems along the way that improve it further.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
^ Huh, I've been starting an arcane build and that's pretty much exactly what I've been doing (physical bloodgems on tonitrus, saw spear with fire gem, flamesprayer). Glad to see I'm on the right track! I've also been playing with the various "toys". So far beast roar is pretty nifty. Just found the Augur of Ebrietas, though I haven't really used it yet.

Since I'm hybridizing with strength for tonitrus I should probably switch to saw cleaver though right? I think it's slightly better with strength scaling than the saw spear.

Any reason to ever use Arcane gems over Fire? So far Arcane damage has been disappointing, fire seems to work better in most cases.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
My 50 Arcane character used Flamesprayer and Tonitrus through most of the game. Almost any weapon is good for Arcane once you get elemental gems but AFAIK LHB is the best unless you get lost versions. For stats I went with lowest requirements for weapons and bumped Arcane high as fast as possible. Vitality and Endurance levelling went roighly same as every other of my builds (30/25). To get Arcane build to really work you need to farm for good gems which makes the build not so fun IMO but atleast you get awesome Hunter Tool at the end.

Everyone and their mother seem to suggest Ludwig and I get that, since it has A in Arcane. The problem is, I am somewhat kind of bored already with Ludwig and want to try something new, hmmmmmmmmm.

Tonitrus AFAIK only counts Arcane when you buff it, so it's kind of a pain in the arse needing to press L1 every 10 seconds or so, hahaha. If possible I'd like to just use elemental gems since they are put-in-and-just-slash kind of deal.

How to play Arcane (spoiling in case you want to figure out on your own):
1. Get Saw Cleaver or Saw Spear. They have waning sockets.
2. Use Motolovs prior to getting the Hunter's Torch and Flamesprayer.
3. Once you do get the Hunter's Torch and Flamesprayer, you are basically a Pyromancer.
4. You can get your first fire gem in Pthumeru 1 from the undead with flaming weapons. Socket your Saw with it.
4b. Either that, or just stick with Flamesprayer instead.
5. Tonitrus will be your lightning weapon.
6. Physical gems go to Tonitrus. For Saw Cleaver/Spear or any other converted element weapon, use gems such as "Increased damage against Beast/Kin" or "Increased Charged Attack Damage" and whatnot as alternatives.
And from there you have your build, and you find any gems along the way that improve it further.

I seem to remember you can get your first elemental gem, fire, from under the Healing Church area, the one that loops back nearby Amelia, guarded by a brainsucker. I do know it's waning type though hmmm.

So it's between Ludwig, Saw Spear, or Saw Cleaver, at least in the beginning. I wonder how viable it'll be, especially end game and/or later chalices if I just keep using elemental Saw Cleaver. I am certain I am gonna need to get one Bolt and one Fire though and switch them up as necessary.

^ Huh, I've been starting an arcane build and that's pretty much exactly what I've been doing (physical bloodgems on tonitrus, saw spear with fire gem, flamesprayer). Glad to see I'm on the right track! I've also been playing with the various "toys". So far beast roar is pretty nifty. Just found the Augur of Ebrietas, though I haven't really used it yet.

Since I'm hybridizing with strength for tonitrus I should probably switch to saw cleaver though right? I think it's slightly better with strength scaling than the saw spear.

Any reason to ever use Arcane gems over Fire? So far Arcane damage has been disappointing, fire seems to work better in most cases.

Beast Roar is hilarious to use against Djura, lol. And it can deflect bullets and even IIRC cannonballs and boulders.

Anyways, so, building STR and ARC huh, hmmmmmmm. Also, isn't Arcane gems increase elemental damage if paired with elemental gems? Hmmm.

In an arcane build, Saw Cleaver doesn't scale with strength.

I only recommend the 16 strength needed to wield Tonitrus. It will do plenty of damage.

Threaded Cane or Kirkhammer. THat's about its only use.

So it's between Ludwig, Saw Spear, or Saw Cleaver, at least in the beginning. I wonder how viable it'll be, especially end game and/or later chalices if I just keep using elemental Saw Cleaver. I am certain I am gonna need to get one Bolt and one Fire though and switch them up as necessary.
Just use a Saw weapon.
You're stacking two types of damage that are extra effective against beasts.
I haven't tried Ludwig's but it's definitely not the star of this build.

I seem to remember you can get your first elemental gem, fire, from under the Healing Church area, the one that loops back nearby Amelia, guarded by a brainsucker. I do know it's waning type though hmmm.
The chalice gem that can drop is radial.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
In an arcane build, Saw Cleaver doesn't scale with strength.

I only recommend the 16 strength needed to wield Tonitrus. It will do plenty of damage.

Threaded Cane or Kirkhammer. THat's about its only use.

Just use a Saw weapon.
You're stacking two types of damage that are extra effective against beasts.
I haven't tried Ludwig's but it's definitely not the star of this build.

The chalice gem that can drop is radial.

Hmmm, so if the chalice gem is fire that means it'll stack with the Healing Church gem huh, hmmm.

Alright, aiming for 16 Strength and 50 Arcane then. I'll miss the visceral damage though, hahaha, oh well.

Finalow

ok, I'll be asking for help here when I go for those last chalice dungeons then. :^

Top Bottom