• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
ok, I'll be asking for help here when I go for those last chalice dungeons then. :^

Yep, don't hesitate to ask :)

Although the fact that we need to do the first 2 layers four times whenever we want to fully coop an entire Chalice dungeon (six times for Chalice with 4 layers) is annoying as hell, hahaha.

Soulhouf

Any reason to ever use Arcane gems over Fire? So far Arcane damage has been disappointing, fire seems to work better in most cases.

The advantage of arcane over fire/bolt is that most of the enemies in the game are weak to it. Outside of Ebrietas and perhaps Rom I can't think of any other boss who resist it.
I made a pure arcane Ludwig's and it's pretty good. I was able to finish the Chalice dungeons with it pretty easily.

pixxxelz

How to play Arcane (spoiling in case you want to figure out on your own):
1. Get Saw Cleaver or Saw Spear. They have waning sockets.
2. Use Motolovs prior to getting the Hunter's Torch and Flamesprayer.
3. Once you do get the Hunter's Torch and Flamesprayer, you are basically a Pyromancer.
4. You can get your first fire gem in Pthumeru 1 from the undead with flaming weapons. Socket your Saw with it.
4b. Either that, or just stick with Flamesprayer instead.
5. Tonitrus will be your lightning weapon.
6. Physical gems go to Tonitrus. For Saw Cleaver/Spear or any other converted element weapon, use gems such as "Increased damage against Beast/Kin" or "Increased Charged Attack Damage" and whatnot as alternatives.
And from there you have your build, and you find any gems along the way that improve it further.
This dungeon (88czkf8u) has a uncanny threaded cane (waning sockets) in case anybody wants it. is central pthumeru so is super easy to get, I can't remember if is on layer 2 or 3 but there is a bell ringing maiden on that layer

Melchiah

This dungeon (88czkf8u) has a uncanny threaded cane (waning sockets) in case anybody wants it. is central pthumeru so is super easy to get, I can't remember if is on layer 2 or 3 but there is a bell ringing maiden on that layer

Do you mean the root version of it? I've gone through the regular Central Pthumeru chalice, and I didn't get that weapon from there.

Brandwin

Dude you dun goofed with those chunks it's a rare drop. You need to either farm them from the gargoyles in Cainhurst or the wolves in upper cathedral ward. With that strength rating you shouldn't even be using the axe since it's probably your weakest weapon.

Thanks. That's what I feared. I don’t see a way to get to cainhurst or Upper Cathderal. Am I missing something? I am pretty far in the game.

Thanks. That's what I feared. I don’t see a way to get to cainhurst or Upper Cathderal. Am I missing something? I am pretty far in the game.
For Cainhurst you can find the summons in Iosefka's Clinic. Just find the short cut to that in Forbidden Woods, it's to the right of the area with all of the dog cages. The key to Upper Cathedral Ward is in Yahargul. I don't remember where I think past the third bell maiden? Check youtube, I usually just go to EpicNameBro's vids if I'm confused on something. If you've never been to those you didn't sell that many unless you went to the Nightmare of Mensis already.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Are you being greedy during the third phase? He's weak to I think bolt paper if that helps.
he's weak to fire. I just do so little damage to him even with it on.

really I'm just not using blood vials to get back to full health after taking a hit which is what I need to do to win. just bleh! stupid giant. cracking me up that it took me fewer tries to kill Martyr Logarius.

I might be playing this game wrong (?) and that`s why i write this. Im not trying to hate the game no no, i really want to like the game, and understand why the majority ranks it higher than Demons and Dark 1.
There's nothing wrong with just not liking it as much. For me, the feeling of power progression has absolutely been there, and at the same time I never really valued the "getting good loot" aspect of any of the Souls games at all, personally. I'm pretty sure I've enjoyed my "character arc" in this more than any of them, though possibly not Demon's since getting good at parrying in that was so satisfying. My playstyle in BB does involve lots of visceral attacks though.

he's weak to fire. I just do so little damage to him even with it on.

really I'm just not using blood vials to get back to full health after taking a hit which is what I need to do to win. just bleh! stupid giant. cracking me up that it took me fewer tries to kill Martyr Logarius.
Well there's a cyst on his hip that you're supposed to burst to do more damage in the first phase. Second phase you can still combo him a bit after he gets tired from his attacks, last phase is pretty much hit him once and get the fuck out of the way. If you're not really doing much damage maybe you should take a break from him and concentrate on leveling up your weapon. That's like a +8 and above boss if I'm not mistaken. I have no idea what the hell I fought him at but it had to have been around late game right before I beat the game so maybe level 80 something probably. Regarding taking damage put on your armor with the highest defense (Cainhurst) if you have it. I know how you feel though that dude was a pain in the ass for me as well.

myco666

Everyone and their mother seem to suggest Ludwig and I get that, since it has A in Arcane. The problem is, I am somewhat kind of bored already with Ludwig and want to try something new, hmmmmmmmmm.

Tonitrus AFAIK only counts Arcane when you buff it, so it's kind of a pain in the arse needing to press L1 every 10 seconds or so, hahaha. If possible I'd like to just use elemental gems since they are put-in-and-just-slash kind of deal.

Yeah I had the same problem when starting Arcane build. Had played with LHB enough and wanted to try something new but everytime I searched for good Arcane weapons only LHB came up.

Yeah Tonitrus only gets Arcane boost only if buffed (maybe also when not but damage is minimal) but I didn't think that was a problem since you can kill almost all enemies with one combo when buffed. Also transform attack is super great but I understand if you want a weapon that you don't have to be buffing all the time. A good choice is two Saw Cleavers or Spears as mentioned before so you can try that also. Also Kirkhammer has decent Arcane scaling if I recall correctly.

Melchiah

Got the Uncanny Threaded Cane from Central Pthumeru Root Chalice, now I'm going to Isz Root Chalice to get the Lost Threaded Cane and better physical attack blood gems. I'm not really looking forward to fighting Rom again though.

Having to buff the Tonitrus is pretty much a non-issue, especially since it has an attack that applies the buff, and applying the buff uses no stamina, meaning you can refresh it after an R1 string and you'll continue recovering stamina during the buff animation.

I like to have my Saw as my fire weapon and the Tonitrus as my lightning weapon.

Ebrietas in the Isz chalice isn't hard until she starts her flying charge attack. I cannot reliably dodge that attack and it's all downhill from there. I never encountered that move when I fought her in the Upper Cathedral Ward.

Brandwin

For Cainhurst you can find the summons in Iosefka's Clinic. Just find the short cut to that in Forbidden Woods, it's to the right of the area with all of the dog cages. The key to Upper Cathedral Ward is in Yahargul. I don't remember where I think past the third bell maiden? Check youtube, I usually just go to EpicNameBro's vids if I'm confused on something. If you've never been to those you didn't sell that many unless you went to the Nightmare of Mensis already.

I might be good to go then. I just got to Nightmare of Mensis. Lit the lamp and that’s about it. I would think if I had been to Cainhurst and Upper Catherdral I would have a lamp. Since I don’t, I bet I haven’t been there yet.

I might be good to go then. I just got to Nightmare of Mensis. Lit the lamp and that’s about it. I would think if I had been to Cainhurst and Upper Catherdral I would have a lamp. Since I don’t, I bet I haven’t been there yet.
You should be OKish then, how many chunks did you sell? If you can do Cainhurst before Nightmare of Mensis since Cainhurst has less annoying enemies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well there's a cyst on his hip that you're supposed to burst to do more damage in the first phase. Second phase you can still combo him a bit after he gets tired from his attacks, last phase is pretty much hit him once and get the fuck out of the way. If you're not really doing much damage maybe you should take a break from him and concentrate on leveling up your weapon. That's like a +8 and above boss if I'm not mistaken. I have no idea what the hell I fought him at but it had to have been around late game right before I beat the game so maybe level 80 something probably. Regarding taking damage put on your armor with the highest defense (Cainhurst) if you have it. I know how you feel though that dude was a pain in the ass for me as well.
Yeah, it's a +8 Threaded Cane. I'm like 72. I might poor a few more levels into skill before trying him again I guess.

About the cyst, I usually wait until he's just above half before popping it, to get him to basically skip the second phase.
You would absolutely know if you had been to Cainhurst. Getting there is rather memorable, IMO.

Melchiah

Isz Root Chalice cleared. Luckily Rom wasn't there, instead the bosses were Keeper of the Old Lords, Brainsucker, and Celestial Emissary. Got a better Great Deep Sea rune, with +150 resistance for everything, and +300 frenzy resistance rune from there, but no Lost Threaded Cane, +5% DMG reduction rune, or better physical attack gems. =/ I may have to try the Sinister Isz Root Chalice the next time.

I came upon the hardest chalice room so far, with Keeper of the Old Lords accompanied by two hounds, a werewolf, and two witches throwing fire and bolt projectiles, which killed me with two hits. Died three times there.

EDIT: Forgot, that I found a Blood Rock there as well. Now I'm wondering should I max the +9 Saw Cleaver or Burial Blade to accompany the other +10 weapons I have, Cane, Ludwig, and Evelyn.

Isz Root Chalice cleared. Luckily Rom wasn't there, instead the bosses were Keeper of the Old Lords, Brainsucker, and Celestial Emissary. Got a better Great Deep Sea rune, with +150 resistance for everything, and +300 frenzy resistance rune from there, but no Lost Threaded Cane, +5% DMG reduction rune, or better physical attack gems. =/ I may have to try the Sinister Isz Root Chalice the next time.

I came upon the hardest chalice room so far, with Keeper of the Old Lords accompanied by two hounds, a werewolf, and two witches throwing fire and bolt projectiles, which killed me with two hits. Died three times there.

EDIT: Forgot, that I found a Blood Rock there as well. Now I'm wondering should I max the +9 Saw Cleaver or Burial Blade to accompany the other +10 weapons I have, Cane, Ludwig, and Evelyn.
I would +10 the Burial Blade just because of the knock down ability and the regain potential of it.

Melchiah

I would +10 the Burial Blade just because of the knock down ability and the regain potential of it.

I'll have to try both first to see which I like more, but thanks for the advice.

I decided to return to Ailing Loran and finally beat Abhorrent Beast, albeit with the poison dagger + Bone Marrow Ash combo. I got the Lower Ailing Loran chalice for reward, but can't say I was happy to see the same boss there as well.

dralla

Almost finished with NG+ and not sure what to upgrade. I've got 50 for strength and skill, 40 for endurance, 35 for vitality, 18 for blood, and 8 for arcane. I'm trying to decide which weapon to get to +10 aside from my Ludwig blade. I have the Blades of Mercy at +9 but since my arcane is so low I figure it's worthless to waste the blood rock. I'm thinking maybe cane or burial blade, hmmmm decisions.

Almost finished with NG+ and not sure what to upgrade. I've got 50 for strength and skill, 40 for endurance, 35 for vitality, 18 for blood, and 8 for arcane. I'm trying to decide which weapon to get to +10 aside from my Ludwig blade. I have the Blades of Mercy at +9 but since my arcane is so low I figure it's worthless to waste the blood rock. I'm thinking maybe cane or burial blade, hmmmm decisions.
Blades of Mercy is technically a skill weapon if I'm not mistaken. I didn't do shit with arcane on my first character and the BoM still packed quite a punch since my character was leaning on the skill stat heavily.

FINALLY found time to get back into BB, and I am venturing on with the last Chalice Dungeon. I've come across Pthumerian Descendant, and he is a real piece of shit.

Any advice? Really struggling with the timing on getting a Visceral attack in, it's not really working out at the moment.

Melchiah

FINALLY found time to get back into BB, and I am venturing on with the last Chalice Dungeon. I've come across Pthumerian Descendant, and he is a real piece of shit.

Any advice? Really struggling with the timing on getting a Visceral attack in, it's not really working out at the moment.

You can do consecutive visceral strikes, when you shoot him before he gets up. It's pretty hard to do it succesfully though. Might be easier with a longer range gun than the Blunderbuss, as I had to run to him before he got up. I had to co-op the fight, and even then it took two tries.

You can do consecutive visceral strikes, when you shoot him before he gets up. It's pretty hard to do it succesfully though. Might be easier with a longer range gun than the Blunderbuss, as I had to run to him before he got up. I had to co-op the fight, and even then it took two tries.

I've been using Evaline, but maybe the.. rifle one might be better (longer range, slow loading). It's just the timing of the stagger is really tight to pull off! :/

Melchiah

I've been using Evaline, but maybe the.. rifle one might be better (longer range, slow loading). It's just the timing of the stagger is really tight to pull off! :/

Yeah, I know. I could do it every now and then, but when I failed his hit combo was fatal. Slow reloading could be bad, if youre trying to parry him again before he gets up.

Yeah, I know. I could do it every now and then, but when I failed his hit combo was fatal. Slow reloading could be bad, if youre trying to parry him again before he gets up.

I've also tried hiding behind the pillars and using the environment to my advantage. It helps a bit, then he just brings the pain.

Melchiah

I've also tried hiding behind the pillars and using the environment to my advantage. It helps a bit, then he just brings the pain.

I looked some videos on YouTube, which advised to use a long range weapon, like Ludwig, through the pillars, but it didn't really work for me. Most of the strikes didn't hit, and the bastard is quick to go around the pillars.

EDIT: On a side note, I HATE the Chime Maidens and their spiders in the Lower Ailing Loran, especially when there's two of them around. On top of those, the same room has two werewolves as a cherry on the top. =/

I looked some videos on YouTube, which advised to use a long range weapon, like Ludwig, through the pillars, but it didn't really work for me. Most of the strikes didn't hit, and the bastard is quick to go around the pillars.

EDIT: On a side note, I HATE the Chime Maidens and their spiders in the Lower Ailing Loran, especially when there's two of them around.

I didn't bother with that Dungeon, I went for Iz and got the Jelly x2 from there. I might do Lower Ailing at some point, but probably not at this time. Finish this dungeon set, finish final boss, Platinum.

Melchiah

I didn't bother with that Dungeon, I went for Iz and got the Jelly x2 from there. I might do Lower Ailing at some point, but probably not at this time. Finish this dungeon set, finish boss, Platinum.

I skipped it earlier as well, because I couldn't beat Abhorrent Beast. I'm probably going to skip it altogether now, just because of that one room with the maidens. It's just not worth it.

I skipped it earlier as well, because I couldn't beat Abhorrent Beast. I'm probably going to skip it altogether now, just because of that one room with the maidens. It's just not worth it.

Have you still got the dungeon open that has Pthumerian Descendant in it? Wondered if you fancied co-op helping me? :)

Melchiah

Have you still got the dungeon open that has Pthumerian Descendant in it? Wondered if you fancied co-op helping me? :)

I have, but it's 1:40am here, so I'll have to skip the co-op for the time being. If you still need help tomorrow, we could arrange it a bit earlier in the evening. =)

He is actually very tough if you cannot deal enough damage to stagger him. I don't know how to beat him in his final phase when he powers up. He electrcuted my butt to death near 3/4 gone.
Yeah no kidding, it's all about staggering him cause my god. I think I fought him at an earlier level than the first time, plus the fact that I'm splitting stats a bit for bloodtinge isn't exactly helping my health.

Yeah no kidding, it's all about staggering him cause my god. I think I fought him at an earlier level than the first time, plus the fact that I'm splitting stats a bit for bloodtinge isn't exactly helping my health.
Nice battle by the way. So many close calls but it wouldn't be so nail biting if you raised your vitality a bit.

Nice battle by the why. So many close calls but it wouldn't be so nail biting if you raised your vitality a bit.
Lol thanks, you should see my losses. I think half of them were because I was trying to roll under him and just got wrecked. The other couple were because his legs are a pain in the ass to hit with the Reiterpallasch and you can't lock on to his legs so you wind up swinging at dead air sometimes.

Brandwin

Got to Cainhurst tonight and defeated whatever the bosses name was. Got enough blood chunks to upgrade my weapon to a +9.

Was trying out the Nightmare area, but all those SOBs are tough to kill

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Lol thanks, you should see my losses. I think half of them were because I was trying to roll under him and just got wrecked. The other couple were because his legs are a pain in the ass to hit with the Reiterpallasch and you can't lock on to his legs so you wind up swinging at dead air sometimes.

That's why I almost always exclusively use the gun form of Reiterpallasch whenever I carry it around, since the Hunter swings it in a wide arc unlike the blade form.

I really like Reiterpallasch. Paired with Repeating Pistol you get the best of both worlds, especially since Reiterpallasch's bullets are stronger than Evelyn per shot.

Melchiah

Dark Beast Paarl is a pain in the ass without the LHB. Here's me going at him with the Threaded Cane and Reiterpallasch.
Bloodborne™ Fighting Dark Beast Paarl

Cane's whip form with Fire Paper works well against him. I was able to down him a couple of times with them. Here's a video of my fight:
https://youtu.be/RogLl1BbgPM
I used gear with the highest bolt defense stat, and equipped a bolt defense rune as well.

Just uploaded few other boss fights there as well.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Cane's whip form with Fire Paper works well against him. I was able to down him a couple of times with them. Here's a video of my fight:
https://youtu.be/RogLl1BbgPM
I used gear with the highest bolt defense stat, and equipped a bolt defense rune as well.

Just uploaded few other boss fights there as well.

Works well is an understatement. Cane's whip form destroys Paarl.

I was also really stunned about how well it fared against Defiled Amygdala. I mean, during his last phase I practically just stood under him and whipped his crotch area, hahaha, and it really destroyed his legs and caused great damage; way more reliable than if I go for his arms or his head (and once you figure out the timing, evading his jump-stomp is rather easy.)

Cane's Whip man.... so awesome.

Melchiah

Works well is an understatement. Cane's whip form destroys Paarl.

I was also really stunned about how well it fared against Defiled Amygdala. I mean, during his last phase I practically just stood under him and whipped his crotch area, hahaha, and it really destroyed his legs and caused great damage; way more reliable than if I go for his arms or his head (and once you figure out the timing, evading his jump-stomp is rather easy.)

Cane's Whip man.... so awesome.

Speaking of Amygdala, the one in the main game was a piece of cake for me on the first playthrough, but on NG+ I can't seem to make a good enough dent on its HP. Not even with the whip and Fire Paper. I guess it could be because I mostly hit the lower half of the body, where its supposed to be strong against physical damage, but elemental damage should compensate for that.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Speaking of Amygdala, the one in the main game was a piece of cake for me on the first playthrough, but on NG+ I can't seem to make a good enough dent on its HP. Not even with the whip and Fire Paper. I guess it could be because I mostly hit the lower half of the body, where its supposed to be strong against physical damage, but elemental damage should compensate for that.

Why would you use Fire instead of Bolt Paper? Since Amygdala is weak against Bolt after all.

Also, bloodtinge build + Repeating Pistol + Bone Marrow Ash can finish him up really leisurely :)

Melchiah

Why would you use Fire instead of Bolt Paper? Since Amygdala is weak against Bolt after all.

Also, bloodtinge build + Repeating Pistol + Bone Marrow Ash can finish him up really leisurely :)

It's actually weak against both, and arcane. I have to try Bone Marrow Ash with Evelyn, as my Blood Tinge is well above 40.

Top Bottom