• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Walmart had this on sale for $40, so I grabbed it this morning. I don't want to spoil anything for myself, but are there any major/key pieces of information I should know going into this game blind?

Walmart had this on sale for $40, so I grabbed it this morning. I don't want to spoil anything for myself, but are there any major/key pieces of information I should know going into this game blind?
Building a character around the skill stat and weapons is very viable.
Cane's whip form with Fire Paper works well against him. I was able to down him a couple of times with them. Here's a video of my fight:
https://youtu.be/RogLl1BbgPM
I used gear with the highest bolt defense stat, and equipped a bolt defense rune as well.

Just uploaded few other boss fights there as well.
You have some nice videos on there, it's good to see that everybody winds up taking a few hits. I'm curious about your rune set up, I usually always have the rune that replenishes your health.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Dont go full Rambo at first, be patient.
You need to play to the game's pace for the first few hours.

Draper

I'm torn between continuing to upgrade my character (lvl 175 currently) and the fact that it's slimming down my opportunity for coop matches.

Melchiah

You have some nice videos on there, it's good to see that everybody winds up taking a few hits. I'm curious about your rune set up, I usually always have the rune that replenishes your health.

Thanks. Yeah, I was very close to death in the BSB, SoY and Mergo fights.

I now use all defense +4%, all resistance +150, stamina +15%, and stamina recovery up runes. Before I used the blood echo farming rune, but I have no need for it anymore. I've also equipped the Blunderbuss with HP recovery +2 gem, as it's not used for damage.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Dont go full Rambo at first, be patient.
You need to play to the game's pace for the first few hours.

I've heard that I can take it at the pace of Monster Hunter (which I know and love dearly) and be OK. Slow, steady, calculated.

Thanks guys!

1)Is there a problem with the brightness settings of the game?Am I supposed to constantly use the torch, so as to pour light on the dark environments?
Because I had to turn up my gamma setting in my TV in order to see better..

2)Also, how can I use the blood gems?I just choose them on the Workshop relative menu?

Thank you very much!

1)Is there a problem with the brightness settings of the game?Am I supposed to constantly use the torch, so as to pour light on the dark environments?
Because I had to turn up my gamma setting in my TV in order to see better..

2)Also, how can I use the blood gems?I just choose them on the Workshop relative menu?

Thank you very much!
You find the tool for the blood gems after beating Father G right before you get to Oedon Chapel. Regarding the lighting yes it's a bit weird. Why do I feel like the only person that buys the hand lantern?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yo.

I say the less info you have going in the better. Just ask questions when you discover you have them. :)

You find the tool for the blood gems after beating Father G right before you get to Oedon Chapel. Regarding the lighting yes it's a bit weird. Why do I feel like the only person that buys the hand lantern?
Because the hand lantern slows down your stamina regeneration.
Yo.

I say the less info you have going in the better. Just ask questions when you discover you have them. :)
This. I told this to my friend and whenever he asked me for tips, I was as vague as possible so that the surprised wouldn't be ruined.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
As long as I'm not going to fuck myself over with any good/cool/important missables, I'm fine going in with no real info.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
As long as I'm not going to fuck myself over with any good/cool/important missables, I'm fine going in with no real info.
Oh, you totally will if you don't ask anything. But there are lots of things you'll run into and be like "huh?" Or you might suspect there's more to an area or a character than you realize, and that's when you ask for hints. This thread has done a great job of helping me see lots of cool stuff without needing to go to guides or anything. But I've definitely missed stuff as well, one thing in particular I know about that I wish I'd been able to do the first time around, but gives me incentive to play a NG+. Probably plenty more I didn't know about, haha. The only way to ensure you literally don't miss anything is to use a walkthrough for every area but I'm really glad I haven't done that, at least for my first time through.

This. I told this to my friend and whenever he asked me for tips, I was as vague as possible so that the surprised wouldn't be ruined.
Hehe yeah, I'm going to be asking for hints in this vein again shortly as I know of one more area I haven't seen and don't know how to reach. But I have to beat this stupid Undead Giant in lower pthumeru already.

I've never used the torch to be honest, I know it can be used as a weapon, but I've never put the points into arcane and I can't parry with it so I just buy the hand lantern. I've always been able to work around the stamina thing. Granted my second character needs more stamina, but that would be the case with or without the hand lantern.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
got that undead giant to a sliver... used all my molotovs... got killed. what a bastard.

SzIF6t.jpg

7UsLYF.jpg

<3

I finally beat that stupid Chikage Hunter without cheesing it! :D

The Threaded Cane's slightly delayed R2 attacks worked absolutely beautifully and would catch him as he came out of dodges if I timed it right. We managed hit each other with Numbing Mist at almost the same time so it got super tense right at the end, hah. They should re-label that encounter to be an actual boss fight because it's harder than just about every other boss in the game imo.

I finally beat that stupid Chikage Hunter without cheesing it! :D

The Threaded Cane's slightly delayed R2 attacks worked absolutely beautifully and would catch him as he came out of dodges if I timed it right. We managed hit each other with Numbing Mist at almost the same time so it got super tense right at the end, hah. They should re-label that encounter to be an actual boss fight because it's harder than just about every other boss in the game imo.
Main game or chalice dungeon included? Pthumerian Descendant and Isz Ebrietas takes the cake.

ramyeon

Started replaying this. I got it with my PS4 a few weeks ago but only played it for an afternoon before getting distracted by The Witcher 3. I decided it'd just be better to start over from scratch. This is my first Souls-esque game. Went with Military Veteran, focusing on getting Vitality and Strength up at the moment with Endurance every now and then too. Also looking to put some levels into Skill somewhere down the line. Is this okay and is it okay to ignore Bloodtinge and Arcane? Not too sure what they do. Rocking the Hunter's Axe and Pistol for the time being.

Almost beat that werewolf in Iosefka's Clinic with my bare hands this time around, thought I'd give it a shot haha. Got him down to a silver and then I got greedy and he tore me apart :(

Made more progress this time in a couple of hours than I did in a whole afternoon last time. Decided to head into the sewers after opening the first shortcut back to the lamp this time. Went straight for the Hunter gear since I remembered it from last time, and then I'd collected enough Echoes to level up pretty significantly. Took on Cleric Beast and took him down first go this time around, he destroyed me in my last game. Didn't use too many Blood Vials either, last time around I was using so many Vials and Bullets but this time around I've already amassed like 80 of each just from looking around Central Yharnam, it's great.

Any thoughts on the Kirkhammer? I just bought it but haven't given it a go yet since I need one more point in Strength. It looks awesome but I have a feeling that giant chunk of concrete is not going to be very fast at all to say the least.

Lots of random thoughts in this post but I'm loving the game. It just oozes so much style and atmosphere. Even small stuff like reading the item descriptions in my inventory and the loading screens makes me so curious about what exactly went down in this world to make it this fucked up haha.

Melchiah

Main game or chalice dungeon included? Pthumerian Descendant and Isz Ebrietas takes the cake.

Yep, Pthumerian Descendant makes Eileen's Cainhurst Crow Hunter looks like child play.

Bloody hell he's so friggin annoying.

Pthumerian Descendant is definitely the most hard and annoying opponent I've come across so far, excluding those in the Defiled chalice, which might not be that hard without the health handicap. As for Ebrietas in Isz chalice, I thought that fight was pretty easy compared to the one in the main game, which was a giant pain in the ass for me.

Oh shit, I had completely forgotten (or blocked out, perhaps) the Cursed Chalice Dungeons, they definitely have the Chikage Hunter beaten.

Got my Burial Blade! Now my real playthrough can begin.

theaface

is it okay to ignore Bloodtinge and Arcane? Not too sure what they do.

Totally ok. I never put a point in either of them and felt pretty strong by the time I got the platinum (solo). Like most, I went with Ludwig's Holy Blade, which had great scaling in both Strength and Skill once it's upgraded. Over my playimt my points went on a mix of Vitality, Endurance, Strength and Skill.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Started replaying this. I got it with my PS4 a few weeks ago but only played it for an afternoon before getting distracted by The Witcher 3. I decided it'd just be better to start over from scratch. This is my first Souls-esque game. Went with Military Veteran, focusing on getting Vitality and Strength up at the moment with Endurance every now and then too. Also looking to put some levels into Skill somewhere down the line. Is this okay and is it okay to ignore Bloodtinge and Arcane? Not too sure what they do. Rocking the Hunter's Axe and Pistol for the time being.

Almost beat that werewolf in Iosefka's Clinic with my bare hands this time around, thought I'd give it a shot haha. Got him down to a silver and then I got greedy and he tore me apart :(

Made more progress this time in a couple of hours than I did in a whole afternoon last time. Decided to head into the sewers after opening the first shortcut back to the lamp this time. Went straight for the Hunter gear since I remembered it from last time, and then I'd collected enough Echoes to level up pretty significantly. Took on Cleric Beast and took him down first go this time around, he destroyed me in my last game. Didn't use too many Blood Vials either, last time around I was using so many Vials and Bullets but this time around I've already amassed like 80 of each just from looking around Central Yharnam, it's great.

Any thoughts on the Kirkhammer? I just bought it but haven't given it a go yet since I need one more point in Strength. It looks awesome but I have a feeling that giant chunk of concrete is not going to be very fast at all to say the least.

Lots of random thoughts in this post but I'm loving the game. It just oozes so much style and atmosphere. Even small stuff like reading the item descriptions in my inventory and the loading screens makes me so curious about what exactly went down in this world to make it this fucked up haha.

Kirkhammer is good, although you need to get used to its range since the hammer form requires a "sweet spot" to hit for maximum damage. Its running hammer R2 attack is especially awesome.

A build that completely ignores Bloodtinge and Arcane is perfectly viable, although you may have more difficulty in some fights compared to, say, those with high Bloodtinge.

Pthumerian Descendant is definitely the most hard and annoying opponent I've come across so far, excluding those in the Defiled chalice, which might not be that hard without the health handicap. As for Ebrietas in Isz chalice, I thought that fight was pretty easy compared to the one in the main game, which was a giant pain in the ass for me.

Especially in the cursed dungeons.
I spent 3 evenings to beat the Cursed Ihyll Pthumerian Elder. He was so annoying with his R1 spam -_-

I can't seem to evade his boomerang attack, it's so bloody fast and for some reason always caught me off guard -_____-

Robot Pants

Wellp. Platinumed.
And onto ng+ for the second time.

I really had a huge change of heart with this game. Just didn't click with me until restarting for some reason. Now I love it

LukasF

okay, someone give me a hint toward the entrance of the
upper cathedral ward

Like, how to open the door at the top of the
workshop
?
there's a key you can get in a jail cell much later in the game

Or... help against those enemies you see there?
LHB still stunlocks them, even though they're otherwise powered-up versions of the priests.

My first character owned house with good health and a fuck ton of skill stat related damage since I didn't upgrade either arcane or bloodtinge. My second character can still own house, but has less health since I also put some points into bloodtinge. You don't exactly need it, just really depends what weapons you want to use. Second character is intended for Reiterpallasch and Chikage use so you need good bloodtinge for those weapons. Pretty much use your first character as a down and dirty let's see what I like as I'm playing this character. Your second one you'll probably experiment more with a more precise focus.

Admodieus

Last night I beat Blood Starved Beast and got Ludwig's Holy Blade. Now I seem completely at a loss for where to go.

Also should I try to use that chalice I found off the beast? Not sure when the best time is to tackle those.

dralla

Last night I beat Blood Starved Beast and got Ludwig's Holy Blade. Now I seem completely at a loss for where to go.

Also should I try to use that chalice I found off the beast? Not sure when the best time is to tackle those.

Go back to the Cathedral Ward, there should be plenty of ways to go.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Like, how to open the door at the top of the
workshop
?
there's a key you can get in a jail cell much later in the game

Or... help against those enemies you see there?
LHB still stunlocks them, even though they're otherwise powered-up versions of the priests.
Didn't know where the door was. Lol. Thanks.

Melchiah

Fuuuuuu... wasted 13 Ritual Blood (5) on Isz Root Chalice because this happened.

It's layer one, and can't get to the door behind the chest lid, and thus open another door that leads forward. I take it, that there isn't any way to reset the chalice?

EDIT: Erase that. You can break the chests by hitting them few times. Miyazaki trolling. ;)

Ramsiege

Since I can't make a topic, I figure I'll ask here.

As I've never played a Souls-like game and am really interested in trying one out, should I start with Bloodborne or Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin?

As I've never played a Souls-like game and am really interested in trying one out, should I start with Bloodborne or Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin?
Bloodborne is actually the more streamlined Souls game so if you want you can start at Bloodborne.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Though there are a number of very similar or identical threads throughout all four games, the Souls games are actually rather different from BB in some key ways, specifically in the moment-to-moment combat. If those are your only two choices of where to start I'd say go with Bloodborne. If you have the ability to start with Demon's or DS you could go for them instead.

Omni

I've never played those either and I started Bloodborne a couple of weeks ago. Haven't had too many problems.

A few things are obscure but the internet helps. No shame in asking for help.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Thanks to GoHard21 for helpin' me advance through the friggin'
fly-man thingies
and the creepy as hell
gigant spider

I'm going from Bloodborne to DS2 via The Witcher and i'm struggling to get back into the more patient play style so I would say start with DS2, I keep getting wrecked!

Top Bottom