• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So can anyone tell me why Arianna isn't answering the door when I go to where she supposedly is?

I haven't beaten Rom the Spider.
I've beaten Vicar Amelia.
I'm in front of the door that I'm supposed to be at.

And all that's happening is some guy telling me to go to the Church to the right of the main cathedral through the door. He gave me the tonsil stone. Do I have to go there and do something before she'll show up?

Yea, once you're at a certain level ALL the behind the door NPCs are replaced with that guy giving you the Tonsil Stone; it's just FROM's (rather stupid) way of ensuring you get it. Once you use the stone everyone else will switch back to normal.

myco666

So can anyone tell me why Arianna isn't answering the door when I go to where she supposedly is?

I haven't beaten Rom the Spider.
I've beaten Vicar Amelia.
I'm in front of the door that I'm supposed to be at.

And all that's happening is some guy telling me to go to the Church to the right of the main cathedral through the door. He gave me the tonsil stone. Do I have to go there and do something before she'll show up?

You might need to go right of the Grand Cathedral to make her appear again. I usually talk to her before Amelia so not sure how it works after entering to Forbidden Woods. When you enter Forbidden Woods the same person is on every window/door replacing NPCs for awhile.

Yea, once you're at a certain level ALL the behind the door NPCs are replaced with that guy giving you the Tonsil Stone; it's just FROM's (rather stupid) way of ensuring you get it. Once you use the stone everyone else will switch back to normal.

I wouldn't necessarily say that it's a "way of ensuring you get it"
because eventually there's a point where you can no longer get the Tonsil stone, making it lost forever, because you actually don't need it.

Damn, +6 Threaded Cane and 27 skill tore the Witches of Hemwick apart. 2 back stabs and 2 viscerals was all it took to kill them.
fry_squinting.gif

I think I hit them twice while they were getting back up, trust me, they didn't last long. I think since it also scales with level and I think I'm mid 40's as well. When I visceraled the first one she was weak enough to spawn the other one. Then I visceraled that one and the first one came out. I did a charge attack on that, knocked her off the wood panel and did a drop attack and then hit her two more times, killed her, got her sister with a back stab visceral combo and I was done. I don't really record my games cause I never know how well I'm going to do.

And it works. they didn't even get the chance to do their fucking magic bullshit.

I don't think it matters how you kill them, they won't start busting out their worst attacks until you kill at least one so you can just spread the damage evenly until you kill them both roughly at the same time.

I don't think it matters how you kill them, they won't start busting out their worst attacks until you kill at least one so you can just spread the damage evenly until you kill them both roughly at the same time.
Makes sense. The added experience of fighting them 2 prior times and knowing how to spot them must help as well.

I think I hit them twice while they were getting back up, trust me, they didn't last long. I think since it also scales with level and I think I'm mid 40's as well. When I visceraled the first one she was weak enough to spawn the other one. Then I visceraled that one and the first one came out. I did a charge attack on that, knocked her off the wood panel and did a drop attack and then hit her two more times, killed her, got her sister with a back stab visceral combo and I was done. I don't really record my games cause I never know how well I'm going to do.
If I recall correctly the Witches has enough hp to survive two viscerals and charged r2 from the cane. I just doubt the number of hits you took to kill them.

I think he means that he used the Backstab -> Visceral -> Backstab after visceral -> Visceral again chain that also works on pigs, not that he only needed two backstabs and two viscerals total to beat that fight.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Random musings:

- Threaded Cane is THE BOSS. Cainhurst Crow Hunter, Amygdala (even, or perhaps I should say especially) Defiled, and the last boss of Chalice, all crumbled in front of THAT WHIP.
- It makes Chalice wayyyyyyyyy easier to handle in general. Seriously, the Whip is fucking awesome.
- I skipped Lower Ailing Loran since I already got 4 Red Jelly due to NG+. Wonder whether I should go ahead and complete it, as well the Isz.
- The hp regen gem you get from the Doll is useful people, since it negates the wounds you get from, for example, falling a bit. Put it into, say, Blunderbuss, since you're not using it for damage anyways. Use itttt.
- Interestingly enough the blood damage stat of Chikage is boosted more by 18% physical attack gem than 21% blood damage gem. Hmmm. Speaking of which, I need to get used to using the weapon.
- Probably a good idea now to collect dungeon codes for gems and runes.... hmmmmm.

If I recall correctly the Witches has enough hp to survive two viscerals and charged r2 from the cane. I just doubt the number of hits you took to kill them.
I'll put it to you like this. They both appeared twice, they both made no third appearance. A +6 Cane is nothing to sneeze at in Hemwick in general.
Random musings:

- Threaded Cane is THE BOSS. Cainhurst Crow Hunter, Amygdala (even, or perhaps I should say especially) Defiled, and the last boss of Chalice, all crumbled in front of THAT WHIP.
- It makes Chalice wayyyyyyyyy easier to handle in general. Seriously, the Whip is fucking awesome.
- I skipped Lower Ailing Loran since I already got 4 Red Jelly due to NG+. Wonder whether I should go ahead and complete it, as well the Isz.
- The hp regen gem you get from the Doll is useful people, since it negates the wounds you get from, for example, falling a bit. Put it into, say, Blunderbuss, since you're not using it for damage anyways. Use itttt.
- Interestingly enough the blood damage stat of Chikage is boosted more by 18% physical attack gem than 21% blood damage gem. Hmmm. Speaking of which, I need to get used to using the weapon.
- Probably a good idea now to collect dungeon codes for gems and runes.... hmmmmm.
This man sees that the Cane is fucking awesome sauce. It starts off sort of weak in the first area, but once you up your skill a bit and upgrade it it's great. Once you get used to not being able to charge attack things like you can with the bigger weapons it really does become a really good all round weapon. Slapping some gems into it helps too.

takriel

So, what do you guys think of Vaati's last few videos? This guy gets 6k per month and manages to churn out two to three videos per month? And the last one was a shorter version of one he's already done before. But I guess people keep being happy with his content, so there's that...

myco666

I'll put it to you like this. They both appeared twice, they both made no third appearance. A +6 Cane is nothing to sneeze at in Hemwick in general.

You made it sound like you only used two viscerals at that fight total but it seems it was 4 (two each). But yeah +6 Cane and rather high skill during that point is ridiculous haha. I actually hate how visceral damage is tied to Skill.

So, what do you guys think of Vaati's last few videos? This guy gets 6k per month and manages to churn out two to three videos per month? And the last one was a shorter version of one he's already done before. But I guess people keep being happy with his content, so there's that...

Wow that is alot of money for what seems to be low amount of work. Don't really know though how much it takes to get those videos done so. Never really cared for Vaati's videos though. Always liked ENB more.

You made it sound like you only used two viscerals at that fight total but it seems it was 4 (two each). But yeah +6 Cane and rather high skill during that point is ridiculous haha. I actually hate how visceral damage is tied to Skill.

Wow that is alot of money for what seems to be low amount of work. Don't really know though how much it takes to get those videos done so. Never really cared for Vaati's videos though. Always liked ENB more.
I love the skill stat, still haven't really messed around with a strength build because I actually legitimately like the skill weapons and yeah viscerals not scaling with strength as well would effect how I play the game. I also prefer ENB as well. He's trying to do a Dark Souls run as detailed as the Bloodborne videos and it's been hilarious seeing him get wrecked by hollows since he has to accustom himself to the combat in Dark Souls again.
Hmm, I have 3 lamps now but I'm having trouble figuring out where to go. I thought I went everywhere I could already.
What have you done so far?

myco666

Hmm, I have 3 lamps now but I'm having trouble figuring out where to go. I thought I went everywhere I could already.

What lamps you have lit?

edit.

I love the skill stat, still haven't really messed around with a strength build because I actually legitimately like the skill weapons and yeah viscerals not scaling with strength as well would effect how I play the game. I also prefer ENB as well. He's trying to do a Dark Souls run as detailed as the Bloodborne videos and it's been hilarious seeing him get wrecked by hollows since he has to accustom himself to the combat in Dark Souls again.

I like Skill weapons also but I prefer Strength weapons but having visceral damage gimped because reasons is stupid considering how integral part of the game they are. Haha I would be lost at DS combat too after Bloodborne.

What have you done so far?

What lamps you have lit?

1st Floor Sickroom
Central Yarnham
Great Bridge

I just beat the first boss and thought there would be something to let me go further there but I don't see anything.

myco666

1st Floor Sickroom
Central Yarnham
Great Bridge

I just beat the first boss and thought there would be something to let me go further there but I don't see anything.

You can get to next boss via the sewer area. There also should be a elevator shortcut that makes the boss run faster since it skips the sewer.

This man sees that the Cane is fucking awesome sauce. It starts off sort of weak in the first area, but once you up your skill a bit and upgrade it it's great. Once you get used to not being able to charge attack things like you can with the bigger weapons it really does become a really good all round weapon. Slapping some gems into it helps too.
Alright, no problem then. But Ludwig's Holy Blade is truth. It is reality.

So I thought I was quite close to the end of the game at Nightmare Frontier, but I've since managed to stumble across the (hidden location spoiler)
Upper Cathedral Ward

Honestly I find it intimidating :-( I've been able to use my small resonant bell successfully a couple of times there, but the creatures seem to be hideously strong. Nets me a lot of blood echoes though! I'm getting a similar sense of fear of this area as I used to get from Latria in Demons Souls. I think I need to a find a way to boost my weapons beyond +7..

1st Floor Sickroom
Central Yarnham
Great Bridge

You need to unlock the second shortcut and go into that house near the two trolls as well, take some elevators up or go through the sewer areas as well. The first area is actually pretty big.
Alright, no problem then. But Ludwig's Holy Blade is truth. It is reality.
I actually stopped using it in the middle of my first playthrough. It's a fun weapon yes, but everybody uses it.

You can get to next boss via the sewer area. There also should be a elevator shortcut that makes the boss run faster since it skips the sewer.

Yeah, I figured that would be the place I missed something. Just found the next boss, thanks.

Are there certain stats I should be making sure to level for my hunter?

myco666

Yeah, I figured that would be the place I missed something. Just found the next boss, thanks.

Are there certain stats I should be making sure to level for my hunter?

Vitality. Probably most important and useful stat to boost. Endurance is also worth leveling so that you can get more hits in and dodge more. I would say that you shouldn't level other stats unless you a weapon that you want to use has higher requirements. Once you get your weapons leveled up higher you can start to level up attributes that scale well with weapon you use. Also upgrading weapons is way more important than leveling your character.

Vitality. Probably most important and useful stat to boost. Endurance is also worth leveling so that you can get more hits in and dodge more. I would say that you shouldn't level other stats unless you a weapon that you want to use has higher requirements. Once you get your weapons leveled up higher you can start to level up attributes that scale well with weapon you use. Also upgrading weapons is way more important than leveling your character.

If I remember right you use blood shards to level your weapon right? There's no fear that you run out of items to level your weapon is there? Like if I level my saw cleaver now will that hurt me later if I find another weapon I like?

Melchiah

Holy hell, the final fight against that hunter in Elieen's quest is brutal. I never fought him in NG. It took a solid 40 minutes in NG+ to take him out. I'm about to head to the Upper Cathedral Ward. Ebrietas awaits :(

I thoght he was pretty easy, when I fought him the first time on NG+. It took less than five minutes to beat him. I was actually surprised after hearing over here how hard he was supposed to be.

myco666

If I remember right you use blood shards to level your weapon right? There's no fear that you run out of items to level your weapon is there? Like if I level my saw cleaver now will that hurt me later if I find another weapon I like?

You can get every weapon up to +6 easily after certain point. Blood Chunks that are used to get weapons from +7 to +9 are very rare so those you need to think more carefully. But the basic upgrading materials are easy to come by so feel free to use them.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I thoght he was pretty easy, when I fought him the first time on NG+. It took less than five minutes to beat him. I was actually surprised after hearing over here how hard he was supposed to be.

Is that the girl in the start by the sewers? I killed her right there and then for the mark as the Platinum guide I'm following suggested to as that's the easiest time on NG+ at least.

Shadows aren't playing nice on NG+ :(
You can hit one with a Shaman Bone to make it fight the others for a bit.
Well you are probably over leveled for him and have better defense then when a lot of people encountered, which was NG.

Melchiah

Well you are probably over leveled for him and have better defense then when a lot of people encountered, which was NG.

Don't the NPC hunters scale on NG+ like bosses and other foes? The person I responded to also fought him on NG+.

EDIT: And he's pretty easy with the Cane's whip form, like Laughing Banana said above.

Is that the girl in the start by the sewers? I killed her right there and then for the mark as the Platinum guide I'm following suggested to as that's the easiest time on NG+ at least.

No, I'm talking about the final foe you face in her quest. If you kill her you won't get the quest, and the Crow Hunter badge, which unlocks the Crowfeather set and Blade of Mercy. So, it's a pretty bad advice to kill her.

Don't the NPC hunters scale on NG+ like bosses and other foes? The person I responded to also fought him on NG+.

EDIT: And he's pretty easy with the Cane's whip form, like Laughing Banana said above.

No, I'm talking about the final foe you face in her quest. If you kill her you won't get the quest, and the Crow Hunter badge, which unlocks the Crowfeather set and Blade of Mercy. So, it's a pretty bad advice to kill her.
Hunters do scale but the player has probably acquired so much echoes in NG+ that he isn't difficult. Normally, his gun could kill the player in two shots. NG+ players have much better stats so he wouldn't seem difficult.

And you're wrong about Eileen; I got the Crow Hunter badge after I accidentally killed her along with Henyrk. You miss out on the Hunter rune and awesome gestures if you kill her straight away.

Melchiah

Hunters do scale but the player has probably acquired so much echoes in NG+ that he isn't difficult. Normally, his gun could kill the player in two shots. NG+ players have much better stats so he wouldn't seem difficult.

And you're wrong about Eileen; I got the Crown Hurst badge after I accidentally killed her along with Henyrk. You miss out on the Hunter rune and awesome gestures if you kill her straight away.

Yet the poster I responded to fought him for 40 minutes on NG+. It differs between players what foes are hard or easy, as evidenced by the past discussions about bosses.

I forgot you could get those that way as well. It doesn't make it any more advisable to kill her though, unless you're doing a speedrun.

Yet the poster I responded to fought him for 40 minutes on NG+. It differs between players what foes are hard or easy, as evidenced by the past discussions about bosses.
This in a nutshell. I'm undefeated when it comes to Vicar Amelia, but other people tend to have problems with her.

I forgot you could get those that way as well. It doesn't make it any more advisable to kill her though, unless you're doing a speedrun.
It probably depends on the level. I was level 130 when I fought him with rating 18 gems so he felt okay to fight. But watching videos of others trying to fight him is hilarious since he absolutely wrecks them.

But I agree; my friend hates fighting hunters and generally does a poor job fighting them. But he could kill Ebrietas without too much difficulty.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

Well shit, my guide is pretty fail apparently!

Melchiah

This in a nutshell. I'm undefeated when it comes to Vicar Amelia, but other people tend to have problems with her.

It probably depends on the level. I was level 130 when I fought him with rating 18 gems so he felt okay to fight. But watching videos of others trying to fight him is hilarious since he absolutely wrecks them.

But I agree; my friend hates fighting hunters and generally does a poor job fighting them. But he could kill Ebrietas without too much difficulty.

VA was pretty hard for me on NG+, when I tried to beat her with the Cane's whip form. Rom took three tries as well, and FG, witches and SoY two. The rest I beat on the first try. I was actually surprised by not succeeding against the witches on the first time. I haven't yet beaten Logarius and Ebrietas on NG+, and I dunno if I even want to as both them were pretty hard, particularly the latter. It took me so many tries on the first time.

I'm at level 181 now, with 21% ATK UP gems on my Cane, so yeah I'm pretty overleveled. I kinda regret for not fighting the Bloody Crow on the first time. I just cheesed him, because I thought the quest woull fail if I died in the fight, as that can happen with Henryk. The hunters in the later dungeons were pretty tough, and far more challenging to me. It was a close call, when he hit me with Numbing Mist. Here's a video of the fight: https://youtu.be/rq3jzgOBvSU

EDIT:
Well shit, my guide is pretty fail apparently!
I as wrong about that though. You miss the quest, the Hunter rune, and the gesture, but you get the rest.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
He's way harder in NG. I fought him in NG++ and in NG on different characters, and in NG++ he still hits like a truck, but he dies much, much faster because your character is so strong by then (so I imagine it's similar in NG+, I wasn't that much stronger in NG++ than NG+ myself).
In NG I had only a +6 weapon too and did rather weak damage, had to rely on viscerals because normal hits or a combo would risk me being parried, it was way more dangerous, and his gun took off most of my health if I got hit. I died once or twice only in NG++, but repeatedly in NG.

Try him in NG some time, it's fun. :) One of the most challenging fights of the game.

khaaan

I just got to Byrgenwerth and am not quite sure where to go next, any directing hints?

Some more details:

I managed to beat the Shadows of Yharnam which was a big win for me, before I went on vacation they were giving me a tonne of trouble. Staying mobile during that fight + some visceral attacks helped. Anyways, so I made my way to Byrgenwerth and explored what I think was everything. There's that hunter in the house who's giving me a lot of trouble, I can get his health down to the last little chunk but I always end up dying. I ran past him and went upstairs and got a key. Other than killing the hunter dude, the only other thing I can think of is trying to take on that large scorpion type thing near the water.

Edit: Am around level 48

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just got to Byrgenwerth and am not quite sure where to go next, any directing hints?

Some more details:

I managed to beat the Shadows of Yharnam which was a big win for me, before I went on vacation they were giving me a tonne of trouble. Staying mobile during that fight + some visceral attacks helped. Anyways, so I made my way to Byrgenwerth and explored what I think was everything. There's that hunter in the house who's giving me a lot of trouble, I can get his health down to the last little chunk but I always end up dying. I ran past him and went upstairs and got a key. Other than killing the hunter dude, the only other thing I can think of is trying to take on that large scorpion type thing near the water.

Edit: Am around level 48

Open the door with the key that's on the same floor as the hunter.

I think I'm enjoying this game more than when I played dark souls. I hope he makes a bloodborne II.

Anyone know what your hunter is breaking where you then get the red +5 under your equipped items in the top left? I'm hitting some button and it's happening by accident but I'm not sure what I hit.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm enjoying this game more than when I played dark souls. I hope he makes a bloodborne II.

Anyone know what your hunter is breaking where you then get the red +5 under your equipped items in the top left? I'm hitting some button and it's happening by accident but I'm not sure what I hit.

Up arrow gives you 5 bullets for health.

Gehrman
is hard as hell at level 4. Well everything is hard as hell really, but he is on another level. I must have tried beating him over 50 times now.

I'm giving him up for now, and doing chalice dungeons so I'm not doing the same shit just dying to
Gehrman
over and over without any progress and in hopes of finding good blood gems . Any tiny advantage helps... I hope.

Gehrman
is hard as hell at level 4. Well everything is hard as hell really, but he is on another level. I must have tried beating him over 50 times now.

I'm giving him up for now, and doing chalice dungeons so I'm not doing the same shit just dying to
Gehrman
over and over without any progress and in hopes of finding good blood gems . Any tiny advantage helps... I hope.
I can imagine the pain. Basically every attack is fast and an insta kill for you. Whoever completes a level 4 run are champions.

I can imagine the pain. Basically every attack is fast and an insta kill for you. Whoever completes a level 4 run are champions.

Fortunately, most of his attacks aren't one hit kills, but I've only gotten to his 3rd phase once, and I don't remember if his attacks were stronger or not. His first phase is easy to manage. When he takes his gun out, it gets ridiculously hard.

BTW, I forgot to spoiler his name in my post so you might want to add spoiler tags around his name since I edited it after you quoted it.

You might need to go right of the Grand Cathedral to make her appear again. I usually talk to her before Amelia so not sure how it works after entering to Forbidden Woods. When you enter Forbidden Woods the same person is on every window/door replacing NPCs for awhile.
Thanks. I went and did all of that and got her to the Chapel a few hours ago.

So I'm slowly going through this game, really enjoying myself, but I have a confession to make. I can only stomach the world/atmosphere before I have to turn the game off. It's just too much for me. Please Miyazaki, can the next game you make continue to have the brutally satisfying combat but in a happy, fluffy, sparkly, colory world? Pretty please?

Top Bottom