• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Yep, Pthumerian Descendant makes Eileen's Cainhurst Crow Hunter looks like child play.

Bloody hell he's so friggin annoying.

Pthumerian Descendant is definitely the most hard and annoying opponent I've come across so far, excluding those in the Defiled chalice, which might not be that hard without the health handicap. As for Ebrietas in Isz chalice, I thought that fight was pretty easy compared to the one in the main game, which was a giant pain in the ass for me.

Especially in the cursed dungeons.
I spent 3 evenings to beat the Cursed Ihyll Pthumerian Elder. He was so annoying with his R1 spam -_-
After beating the Defiled chalice, I thought the Queen of Yharnam trophy would be easier. Then I fought the Pthumerian Descendant and got REKT at least 10 times. I almost gave up on going for the plat. He is difficult to party the first few times you encounter him. Trying to practice on him means death by R1 combo spam. And when throws his daggers for a total of four hits -_____-. I defeated him by rolling into his attacks so I always ended up behind him.

Are all attack stats useful on Nourishing Gems regardless of how you spec the rest of the gems on a weapon?

I am farming the Abyssal Nourishing Gems, and I have one that adds physical attack along with the All Damage effect. The thing is, even if I slot it into a weapon that does fire damage, the physical attack shows (just the attack from the gem).

I am just curious because it would make farming these a lot less of a grind. Trying to get a good curse along with a specific secondary effect is really frustrating.

Melchiah

After beating the Defiled chalice, I thought the Queen of Yharnam trophy would be easier. Then I fought the Pthumerian Descendant and got REKT at least 10 times. I almost gave up on going for the plat. He is difficult to party the first few times you encounter him. Trying to practice on him means death by R1 combo spam. And when throws his daggers for a total of four hits -_____-. I defeated him by rolling into his attacks so I always ended up behind him.

Just fought him in the Isz Root chalice, and he was hard there as well. Nearly killed me three times. Managed to beat him with parry + visceral combo, although it's harder to time right during his second phase.

Robot Pants

For the Decendant I parried him the entire time.

Second phase I got a little lucky but the time to parry him is always after the first swing when he's going for the second.

In the first phase I bait out the swing, and instead of dodging far back I remain close to him and after the first swing and I see he's going for the second, I pull the trigger.

Then as he's getting up for the visceral attack, I dash in, hit him once, dash out, he swings twice, parry. Repeat.

Worked like a charm for me.

dralla

I did go out one door that had a couple of enemies (including one Kidnapper) but at the top of the stairs was a gate I couldn't open.

There should be two gates, one each way out of that chapel with the lantern in it. One of them can be opened..

You buy the badge from the vendor in Hunter's Dream, it's 10K souls I believe. It'll open up the main gate to the main plaza of Cathedral Ward.

Admodieus

There should be two gates, one each way out of that chapel with the lantern in it. One of them can be opened..

You buy the badge from the vendor in Hunter's Dream, it's 10K souls I believe. It'll open up the main gate to the main plaza of Cathedral Ward.

Isn't there another way to get past that door after you beat Blood Starved Beast that doesn't cost souls? Had a friend mention something like that

Melchiah

I can't wait to fight him again
/s

I know the feeling.

The next boss I faced in Isz Root Chalice was the Undead Giant with scythes. I'm at level 188, and he can down me with two strikes, and it takes considerable amount of hits for me to get his health bar even halved. FML

Isn't there another way to get past that door after you beat Blood Starved Beast that doesn't cost souls? Had a friend mention something like that
Look around inside the Cathedral Ward after defeating the Blood Starved Beast.
I know the feeling.

The next boss I faced in Isz Root Chalice was the Undead Giant with scythes. I'm at level 188, and he can down me with two strikes, and it takes considerable amount of hits for me to get his health bar even halved. FML
I like how the Undead Giant becomes progressively harder each time you encounter it. I faced it in the Sinster Root Pthumeru Ihyll chalice and his attacks are no joke.

Look around inside the Cathedral Ward after defeating the Blood Starved Beast.

I like how the Undead Giant becomes progressively harder each time you encounter it. I faced it in the Sinster Root Pthumeru Ihyll chalice and his attacks are no joke.
How do you even get the Sinister Chalices? I read you can buy it in the chalice bath messenger but I've never found one there.

Melchiah

How do you even get the Sinister Chalices? I read you can buy it in the chalice bath messenger but I've never found one there.

There's one at least in Ihyll and Isz. I don't remember if there were more.

EDIT:

This is the third one I've come across, and by far the hardest of them. It makes me wonder how much harder it would be, if I hadn't overleveled.

It doesn't really matter because all it is is a Bell Maiden ringing her Bell for PvP. Since people don't invade in chalice dungeons, it's nothing to worry about. Cursed and Defiled chalices is where the insanity awaits.

mulac

Beat Micolash last night first try - pretty easy...

I've got two umbilical cords but think i've missed my opportunity for the third annoyingly...oh well.
Going to press on tonight and just beat the came right the way through with whatever ending then hit up NG+ to focus on the Platinum.

Haven't touched the Chalice Dungeons yet but been leveling up my character like a b** - currently sitting on L94 and my Saw Spear in my default weapon of choice with +9.

Am I screwed?

Beat Micolash last night first try - pretty easy...

I've got two umbilical cords but think i've missed my opportunity for the third annoyingly...oh well.
Going to press on tonight and just beat the came right the way through with whatever ending then hit up NG+ to focus on the Platinum.

Haven't touched the Chalice Dungeons yet but been leveling up my character like a b** - currently sitting on L94 and my Saw Spear in my default weapon of choice with +9.

Am I screwed?

Is Micolash the last boss you beat? If so, you can still get a third cord. Not sure in what way you're asking if you're screwed, but you're pretty high level for where you're at, and all weapons are viable, so using the Saw Spear is fine. I don't think you're screwed in anyway. Just make sure you find the Blood Rock before moving to NG+, so you can get a weapon to +10.

mulac

Is Micolash the last boss you beat? If so, you can still get a third cord. Not sure in what way you're asking if you're screwed, but you're pretty high level for where you're at, and all weapons are viable, so using the Saw Spear is fine. I don't think you're screwed in anyway. Just make sure you find the Blood Rock before moving to NG+, so you can get a weapon to +10.

"screwed" only in the sense that i want to continue with this character all the way to platinum. this game has be obsessed; literally not playing ANYTHING else till i 100% it.

Yes I've beaten all bosses up to Micolash (except Eribitus...she keeps kicking my ass - will deal with her before fighting Gerhman).

"screwed" only in the sense that i want to continue with this character all the way to platinum. this game has be obsessed; literally not playing ANYTHING else till i 100% it.

Yes I've beaten all bosses up to Micolash (except Eribitus...she keeps kicking my ass - will deal with her before fighting Gerhman).

Oh, in that case, you're completely fine. Use any weapon you want and just keep leveling.

The game basically gives you another cord later when you continue past Micolash, so you should have 3 of them by the end. I'm assuming you already know to use them? Just be sure to use them before
fighting Gerhman

Is there anyone here who could assist me against the Watchdog of the Old Lords, in the Defiled Chalice? I was really close last time, but his AoE wiped me out. Password is hotdog. I'm level 138.

Is there anyone here who could assist me against the Watchdog of the Old Lords, in the Defiled Chalice? I was really close last time, but his AoE wiped me out. Password is hotdog. I'm level 138.

I'd be happy to help if only to learn how co op even works. I've farmed that boss a ton in FRC dungeons, so it should be smooth.

I'd be happy to help if only to learn how co op even works. I've farmed that boss a ton in FRC dungeons, so it should be smooth.

To Co-op, go to an empty altar and search by Chalice Glyph. My Chalice Glyph is vvyzkp56 (that is two letter v, and not a w). After you get to my dungeon, you can ring your Resonating Bell. I'm on level two, if that makes a difference. I also took off the password. I'm willing to get help from anyone.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So I just learned about how to upload videos to Youtube from PS4, and in fact this is my first experience ever of Youtube video upload (yeah yeah yeah I'm a noob, hahaha), but turns out it's pretty fun, eh?

I think I am gonna record all of my boss fights in my newest character, Chalice included, and upload them to Youtube, just for fun (and it gives me more excuse to play Bloodborne :p)

Cleric Beast
Father Gascoigne

To Co-op, go to an empty altar and search by Chalice Glyph. My Chalice Glyph is vvyzkp56 (that is two letter v, and not a w). After you get to my dungeon, you can ring your Resonating Bell. I'm on level two, if that makes a difference.

You have to set your dungeon to Open and then you will need to coop with his character first (him using Beckoning you use Resonating)--or him just finishing it alone--clearing out the 1st layer before he can help you out in 2nd layer (you use Beckoning and him use Resonating).

To Co-op, go to an empty altar and search by Chalice Glyph. My Chalice Glyph is vvyzkp56 (that is two letter v, and not a w). After you get to my dungeon, you can ring your Resonating Bell. I'm on level two, if that makes a difference. I also took off the password. I'm willing to get help from anyone.

Firing it up right now.

Yeah, but out of curiosity, what's your level? I'm currently ringing my beckoning bell.

Ugh. I am an idiot. I am about 100 levels over you. I have never done co-op in a Souls game ever, so I am a complete noob with this stuff. I was ringing my Resonant Bell. I opened up to the boss, but it still came up with nothing, which I guess is because of the level difference.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yeah, but out of curiosity, what's your level? I'm currently ringing my beckoning bell.

Ugh. I am an idiot. I am about 100 levels over you. I have never done co-op in a Souls game ever, so I am a complete noob with this stuff. I was ringing my Resonant Bell. I opened up to the boss, but it still came up with nothing, which I guess is because of the level difference.

You two should use Password. Since Third Strike didn't use password and the level difference is too great, of course you two can't connect.

And the beckoned one will always appear on the layer lamp so might as well try to connect there.

Alright. I think it will work if I set a password. Go to options, and then go to system, then network. Set your matching regions to worldwide, and type in the password "hotdog". Let's see if that works. Also, thank you LB for the info you've given. First time ever trying this.

Alright. I think it will work if I set a password. Go to options, and then go to system, then network. Set your matching regions to worldwide, and type in the password "hotdog". Let's see if that works. Also, thank you LB for the info you've given. First time ever trying this.

Done. Chilling at the lamp in layer 2 with the bell ringing.

EDIT: Well, that wasn't pretty, but we still did first try. Good luck with the rest of the dungeon!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
YES. Thank you for the help Reign. He was easily the hardest boss I had to face thus far. Thank you.

The next one is a very good candidate to also become that :p, especially if you don't have good ranged attack. Good luck!

Bleh, it's too bad I am at work now, if not I'll help you out as well.

The next one is a very good candidate to also become that :p, especially if you don't have good ranged attack. Good luck!

Bleh, it's too bad I am at work now, if not I'll help you out as well.

I don't even remember who is next in that dungeon.

Thanks for the help, by the way. I would've been lost without your posts.

So I just learned about how to upload videos to Youtube from PS4, and in fact this is my first experience ever of Youtube video upload (yeah yeah yeah I'm a noob, hahaha), but turns out it's pretty fun, eh?

I think I am gonna record all of my boss fights in my newest character, Chalice included, and upload them to Youtube, just for fun (and it gives me more excuse to play Bloodborne :p)

Cleric Beast
Father Gascoigne
Lol you wiped your ass with Father G.

ramyeon

Cleric Beast
Father Gascoigne

You have to set your dungeon to Open and then you will need to coop with his character first (him using Beckoning you use Resonating)--or him just finishing it alone--clearing out the 1st layer before he can help you out in 2nd layer (you use Beckoning and him use Resonating).
This Gascoigne fight is crazy. I'm up to fighting him at the moment, looks like good timing to get staggers is really helpful. Definitely gonna give that a shot next time I fight him.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I found he/she/it to be about on par with the Watchdog. But I have been farming that SOB for so long since the fucker will not drop a good Nourishing Gem that it's like autopilot, now.

Hopefully Third Strike can pass him just fine since for so many people he's also their roadblock.

Lol you wiped your ass with Father G.

Missed those two Molotovs though... embarrassing >__>

This Gascoigne fight is crazy. I'm up to fighting him at the moment, looks like good timing to get staggers is really helpful. Definitely gonna give that a shot next time I fight him.

Yeap, visceral is a very good strategy against him. Use Blunderbuss to make it easier!

Cleric Beast
Father Gascoigne

Laughing Banana dancing with Father Gascoigne.

ramyeon

Cross posting from the Souls beginner's thread:

So much progress today!

Finally out of Central Yarnham!

Put down Gascoigne on my second try! Felt pretty good, I had much more control during the fight than I did with the Cleric Beast. A lot more staggers and visceral attacks. I found the brooch of the mother and took it back to the girl. She started crying and asked me not to leave her alone, next time I came back the lights were out and there was no response. Is there any more to this? No reward?

Went through Old Yarnham, got the fright of my life when some Hunter with a minigun started firing on me and then after getting down to the courtyard area I got attacked by another guy that seemed like a Hunter. I don't feel even remotely bad about just legging it into the nearest shelter after that, I'll come back to it later haha. Went down into the depths of Old Yarnham and came across a building that just screamed "Boss fight".

Of course it was and I took on the Blood Starved Beast pretty much unprepared. Did pretty well my first try - got it down to a quarter health. It was really easy to stagger in its first stage, but the last stage was insane. So much poison, so much hurt. Finally put it down on my fourth try - it was the first real "wall" I've come across but I didn't feel the need to grind or anything which was nice. Memorising the patterns was the key to success.

Went back to the Hunter's Dream and Gehrman told me about the Healing Church's Workshop and told me to check it out. Found a newly opened door in the Cathedral Ward and that led to the area he was talking about. This area gave me a bit of trouble because of all the hidden gunners. Made it to the top and through some wheelchair flamethrower guys and claimed a badge that lets me buy the Ludwig's Holy Blade I've heard so much about!

Made a point to buy it with all the souls I'd got from Blood Starved Beast onwards and I'm trying it out now. Levelled it up to +3 like my Hunter's Axe - it's damage stat is better but the one handed mode doesn't seem to do as much damage as the one handed axe. Enemies that would take 1 hit before take 2 now. The two handed mode destroys though, and it looks great.

Great session all in all.

Amygdala in chalice dungeons must be the stupidest thing ever. I'm not talking about Defiled Amygdala, but one in a Sinster Root Isz chalice with pillars blocking you and a low ceiling. Can't see where in the world she's jumping and the range arms in relation to the room is op. What a troll.

theaface

Amygdala in chalice dungeons must be the stupidest thing ever. I'm not talking about Defiled Amygdala, but one in a Sinster Root Isz chalice with pillars blocking you and a low ceiling. Can't see where in the world she's jumping and the range arms in relation to the room is op. What a troll.

The trick to Amygdala is the very second she jumps, stand dead still. Do it right and she will never ever land on you. Actually trivialises the lst stage of the fight by quite a degree.

Soulhouf

Since I can't make a topic, I figure I'll ask here.

As I've never played a Souls-like game and am really interested in trying one out, should I start with Bloodborne or Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin?

It depends whether you prefer a good game with a lot of content or an extremely polished game with less content.
Either way, I think starting with Bloodborne is the better way to do it.

Melchiah

Cleric Beast
Father Gascoigne

Heh, FG went down with such ease. Thumbs up.

Top Bottom