• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

BokehKing

Banned
Father Gascoigne... The guy who almost made me stop playing this game. Once I beat him.. Life got better

tumblr_nlzai2Qd2B1slz3sbo1_1280.gif

After farming some of the best gems in the game, I am kind of disappointed in just how effective physical damage is in the game. The best fire gems against beasts and bolt gems against kin are not as effective as straight physical damage tempering gems. And don't even get me started on poison. It's pretty lame that there isn't even a situational use for anything else.

Melchiah

After farming some of the best gems in the game, I am kind of disappointed in just how effective physical damage is in the game. The best fire gems against beasts and bolt gems against kin are not as effective as straight physical damage tempering gems. And don't even get me started on poison. It's pretty lame that there isn't even a situational use for anything else.

I thought they were pretty useless, considering how few enemies are weak to poison. Speaking of which, how effective the poison gems are against those who are weak to it, like Abhorrent Beast?

EDIT: It's been bothering me that I skipped Defiled chalice, so I returned there and finally beat Keeper of the Old Lords after few tries. The fight took less than two minutes with visceral strikes, followed by several Cane slashes, and visceral +20%, stamina +15% & recovery up runes equipped. Here's a video of it: https://youtu.be/mcePUbPDcFM Now towards Watch Dog of the Old Lords.

myco666

I thought they were pretty useless, considering how few enemies are weak to poison. Speaking of which, how effective the poison gems are against those who are weak to it, like Abhorrent Beast?

EDIT: It's been bothering me that I skipped Defiled chalice, so I returned there and finally beat Keeper of the Old Lords after few tries. The fight took less than two minutes with visceral strikes, followed by several Cane slashes, and visceral +20%, stamina +15% & recovery up runes equipped. Here's a video of it: https://youtu.be/mcePUbPDcFM Now towards Watch Dog of the Old Lords.

I always thought that poison weapons are more for PVP than PVE. If you put poison gem into BoM you will poison everyone pretty fast unless they have prepared for poison.

Soulhouf

I agree.
The other big disappointment for me is how useless the scaling games comaped to the % ones. Even with 50 of a given stat, a % gem will always be much better than a scaling one.
They need whether nerf % gems or buff the scaling equivalent.

Regarding poison, rapid poison is actually pretty good. I added a rapid poison gem to Chikage which naturally has rapid poison and I got a noticeable increase in triggering bleed effect which takes a good chunk of a boss HP every time.

I agree.
The other big disappointment for me is how useless the scaling games comaped to the % ones. Even with 50 of a given stat, a % gem will always be much better than a scaling one.
They need whether nerf % gems or buff the scaling equivalent.

Regarding poison, rapid poison is actually pretty good. I added a rapid poison gem to Chikage which naturally has rapid poison and I got a noticeable increase in triggering bleed effect which takes a good chunk of a boss HP every time.

I believe the Chikage does not benefit from poison any more than any other weapon since the built in 'poison' effect is blood damage. I could be wrong, though.

Back to the gems, yeah the scaling gems are a joke. Just worthless. And I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but the highest level gems aren't even as good as the tier below. Rank 17-19 gems are way, way easier to farm and obviously lower in rarity, but they still pack more utility than the Abyssal gems. So much of a player's build and progress is reliant on gems, so it's really inexcusable to have the endgame gems be so bizarrely balanced.

Soulhouf

I believe the Chikage does not benefit from poison any more than any other weapon since the built in 'poison' effect is blood damage. I could be wrong, though.

Back to the gems, yeah the scaling gems are a joke. Just worthless. And I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but the highest level gems aren't even as good as the tier below. Rank 17-19 gems are way, way easier to farm and obviously lower in rarity, but they still pack more utility than the Abyssal gems. So much of a player's build and progress is reliant on gems, so it's really inexcusable to have the endgame gems be so bizarrely balanced.

Rapid poison = bleed effect.
I don't know why they called it rapid poison in a game where blood is so important.
Figures...

Yeah the way efficiency is tied to the ranks of gems is weird and doesn't make any sense.

Rapid poison = bleed effect.
I don't know why they called it rapid poison in a game where blood is so important.
Figures...

Hm. I'd be interested to try a poison Chikage build. Do you (or anyone reading) have any insight into the best version to use? It appears that the Lost Chikage can have it's blood damage buffed considerably (and the blood attack up gems are easy to farm), but you'd lose out the ability to socket 3 poison gems. No idea which would be the better route.

didn't know that Ganon's mom was a boss

man, seems like I missed a lot skipping those dungeons, hopefully they aren't that hard on NG+ haha, and yeah, regarding the gems, I gave up on using the others and went full physical damage with those 18% gems seeing how effective they were, dunno is there is other even better yet.
Lol, yeah there are different bosses in there, the dungeons don't scale, but eventually they'll catch up to your level.

This is a story/lore theory (so spoilers for late game stuff), but did anybody else make the connection that
Rom was mentioned by Micolash as having eyes planted onto the brain, but is currently mindless and has a shell on its front that has holes where the eyes should be... And that the brain of menesis is a lone brain that has eyes all over it?

Soulhouf

Hm. I'd be interested to try a poison Chikage build. Do you (or anyone reading) have any insight into the best version to use? It appears that the Lost Chikage can have it's blood damage buffed considerably (and the blood attack up gems are easy to farm), but you'd lose out the ability to socket 3 poison gems. No idea which would be the better route.

I'm using a Lost Chikage for that purpose.
1 Bloodtinge gem
1 Rapid poison Gem
1 Physical gem

1 good Rapid poison gem is enough to bleed most of the bosses pretty quickly. That way you still have a pretty high power even against high rapid poison resistant enemies.

Has anybody been hit by a shaman bone blade in PvP? I wonder what happens. I know it makes CPU enemies attack each other, but I doubt that's how it works in PvP.

oh hi Soulhouf, it was pretty cool bumping into you in some other host's game a few days ago :) i immediately recognized the username from way back in Demon's Souls..

anyone need help or something? up for anything basically, but i haven't finished the game (for some weird reason, i guess i don't want it to end or something) so i don't have access to all areas yet. grinding some chalices is fine by me. i'm lvl 93 iirc, threaded cane +9 as my main.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yes. If you do enough damage to the head (can use melee or ranged), then she will drop down and stagger and you can visceral the head. It's very similar to
Amygdala
, imo.

i've done this a few times but my visceral didn't trigger, maybe I wasn't quite in the right spot

i've done this a few times but my visceral didn't trigger, maybe I wasn't quite in the right spot

Odd. I feel the game is pretty lenient with her viscerals, but who knows what variables are at play. I'm sure you know this, but just in case, she does do that bellyflop move quite a bit if you're mid to close range, which looks similar and brings the head down, but you wouldn't get a visceral from it.

If you want to see a video of it done, I know Epicnamebro did it in his playthrough because I watched it and was unable to replicate the ass kicking he put on display at the time.

Dude got corner fucked like it was a Street Fighter match.

I put it off for far too long, but I finally got the third ending to get the Platinum and am done with the game until the DLC. GOTY for me thus far. It's been real, BB.

Soulhouf

oh hi Soulhouf, it was pretty cool bumping into you in some other host's game a few days ago :) i immediately recognized the username from way back in Demon's Souls..

anyone need help or something? up for anything basically, but i haven't finished the game (for some weird reason, i guess i don't want it to end or something) so i don't have access to all areas yet. grinding some chalices is fine by me. i'm lvl 93 iirc, threaded cane +9 as my main.

Yep it was very cool! I remember very well the co-op sessions in Demon's/Dark Souls with you and Sullichin.

It's too late tonight but let me when you want to do some co-op. I love helping people to get through Chalice Dungeons, so I will always do it with pleasure.

myco666

How important is my class selection? I have no idea what these stats mean, ha.

Not at all since you are not tied to the starting class. Unless you are going for a specific build and want to min max your stats you can choose any class. I would recommend to go with Milquetoast or Lone Survivor first time through.

I beat this game earlier today and decided to watch some of the old footage from when it was called Project Beast. The little guys with hands coming out of the fog gates was a cool touch, and I'm kinda sad that it didn't make it into the final game (as far as I can tell). Wonder if it was a performance issue.

Awesome, I just beat the stupid Defiled Dungeon Watchdog on my first try with my second character! I don't even know how long it took me on my first playthrough but I remember it took me ages to beat it. All I did was wait for openings and then bonked it with my Scythe. It was actually really easy apart from a couple of hairy moments when I got too cocky.

Now onto Amygdala!

Edit: Cursed and Defiled Amygdala dead on my first try. This game is easy :p

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OK - avoiding looking any sort of story or walk through spoilers. I did look up some build and Stat info (so I know soft and hard caps, as well as what each Stat does).

I am enjoying the game, but I have died a shit ton early on because I can't get used to the camera. I either need to tweak the settings or hope it eventually feels better. Also I literally have no idea what I'm doing. I'm just wandering around killing guys. I imagine I'll be able to invest Mt blood echos into my Stats at some point? I hope? Or am I supposed to do that manually somehow?

Cool game, though.

ramyeon

OK - avoiding looking any sort of story or walk through spoilers. I did look up some build and Stat info (so I know soft and hard caps, as well as what each Stat does).

I am enjoying the game, but I have died a shit ton early on because I can't get used to the camera. I either need to tweak the settings or hope it eventually feels better. Also I literally have no idea what I'm doing. I'm just wandering around killing guys. I imagine I'll be able to invest Mt blood echos into my Stats at some point? I hope? Or am I supposed to do that manually somehow?

Cool game, though.
You need at least 1 Insight before you're able to use Echoes to level up in the Hunter's Dream. You can get Insight easily just by encountering a boss, you don't have to beat it. Otherwise there's also an item called Madman's Knowledge which gives 1 Insight when consumed and one of those can be found in the Central Yharnam sewers.

What about the camera is giving you issues? I haven't had any real problems with it. I did have problems on the first optional boss in the game because I was locked on to him and it was weirding out the camera, would've been fine if I hadn't locked on probably, since he's so big.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It's hard to explain. The camera just feels super fidgety. Like really really fidgety. If I play enough, it should eventually click (I hope).

I'm hoping I'm just inept but where should the chalice you get from blood starved beast be? I can't find it anywhere to do the dungeons.

You need at least 1 Insight before you're able to use Echoes to level up in the Hunter's Dream. You can get Insight easily just by encountering a boss, you don't have to beat it. Otherwise there's also an item called Madman's Knowledge which gives 1 Insight when consumed and one of those can be found in the Central Yharnam sewers.

What about the camera is giving you issues? I haven't had any real problems with it. I did have problems on the first optional boss in the game because I was locked on to him and it was weirding out the camera, would've been fine if I hadn't locked on probably, since he's so big.

Only thing I can think of that's fidgety is where you're locked and it's a fast enemy that jumps around causing the camera to spin and you sometimes miss hits.

I was wondering if it was possible for invaders to open shortcuts? I had this guy come in and open a shortcut and once he killed me (not sure if lag or cheating somehow because he killed me when I nowhere near him) the shortcut was open for me despite me not opening it before.

Also loving Ludwigs Holy Blade, thing is a beast.

http://webm.host/9d5a9/vid.webm

Also can someone explain how I use runes and what I need exactly to fill in the third slot on weapons? It doesn't take gems so I presume its another similar thing.

I'm hoping I'm just inept but where should the chalice you get from blood starved beast be? I can't find it anywhere to do the dungeons.
It's already in your inventory. Go to one of the grave stones lined up to the left of the workshop and place it there as long as you have the required materials you'll be able to make it.

I was wondering if it was possible for invaders to open shortcuts? I had this guy come in and open a shortcut and once he killed me (not sure if lag or cheating somehow because he killed me when I nowhere near him) the shortcut was open for me despite me not opening it before.

Also can someone explain how I use runes and what I need exactly to fill in the third slot on weapons? It doesn't take gems so I presume its another similar thing.
You can use runes after you beat the witches, there's room behind the chalice with the tool in it. To get the third slot for weapons you need to upgrade the weapon some more. I think the guns only get one slot though.
I don't though, it says I need a chalice when I click X on one of the graves.
If it's the first grave stone then that's specifically there for the short root chalice so just use the second stone onwards. If that's not the problem then it's new to me.

You can use runes after you beat the witches, there's room behind the chalice with the tool in it. To get the third slot for weapons you need to upgrade the weapon some more. I think the guns only get one slot though.

If it's the first grave stone then that's specifically there for the short root chalice so just use the second stone onwards. If that's not the problem then it's new to me.

When I click the first it says short root chalice, all the rest say you "A Holy Chalice is required to conduct the ritual". Is there another grave I'm missing?

I have the third slot I just wonder what exactly goes in it? My normal stuff doesn't. Witches okay, I have just beaten the Forbidden Forest so how far is that?

myco666

You totally can open shortcuts as invader. I do it often if I can't find the host.

I have the third slot I just wonder what exactly goes in it? My normal stuff doesn't. Witches okay, I have just beaten the Forbidden Forest so how far is that?
You put blood gems in those slots. Where you go to upgrade the weapons you should have an option to place some blood gems in there, it should be under repair weapons. Getting to Hemwick is the left turn right before Vicar Amelia's door. You already sound over leveled so that place should be a cakewalk for you.
Yes, I just beat
Shadows of Yarnham
so I definitely beat that boss.
Which means you should have it as long as you didn't accidentally sell it. You should be able to make it then so I'm honestly a bit on the confused side on this one.

You totally can open shortcuts as invader. I do it often if I can't find the host.

Ah okay thank you, I wasn't sure.

You put blood gems in those slots. Where you go to upgrade the weapons you should have an option to place some blood gems in there, it should be under repair weapons. Getting to Hemwick is the left turn right before Vicar Amelia's door. You already sound over leveled so that place should be a cakewalk for you.

Are there different types of blood gems? None of the ones I have show when I select the third slot.

Ah okay thank you, I wasn't sure.

Are there different types of blood gems? None of the ones I have show when I select the third slot.
Yes there are. You have the crescent, weird Jagged looking ones and triangle gems. Depending on the weapon and the gems it takes you might not have one. I'm pretty sure you find at least triangle ones in the forest so you might be missing the crescent ones since those might be rarer.

Which means you should have it as long as you didn't accidentally sell it. You should be able to make it then so I'm honestly a bit on the confused side on this one.

I've never sold anything so that shouldn't be possible either. Guess the game glitched on me. :/ I remember receiving a chalice after beating him.

I've never sold anything so that shouldn't be possible either. Guess the game glitched on me. :/ I remember receiving a chalice after beating him.
Yeah that's weird unless the message is the initial prompt. You can't go passed it period? Unless you're trying to create a dungeon for a chalice that you don't have...this is weird.

Top Bottom