• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

ramyeon

I wonder if that figure is
the saw hunter whose Hunter's Set and Saw Badge you find in the sewers
I'm pretty sure the Hunter set you find in the Sewers has the leather cape on the back. This looks like the set you find in the Cathedral Ward with the top hat switched out for the Hunter's Cap.
Gecco Raiden statue was around 160-200 dollars so I would assume it goes for about the same. Will preorder it as soon as possible haha unless the price is ridiculous.
Yeah I may be tempted to buy this if it's closer to $160. Not a figure collector but I just love the designs in this game way too much.

Father Gascoigne... The guy who almost made me stop playing this game. Once I beat him.. Life got better

tumblr_nlzai2Qd2B1slz3sbo1_1280.gif
I just beat him not too long ago too. A serious roadblock for a while. Cleric Beast is a walk in the park compared to this guy.

ramyeon

I just beat him not too long ago too. A serious roadblock for a while. Cleric Beast is a walk in the park compared to this guy.
Funnily enough I had the opposite experience. Maybe because this is my first Souls-esque game and CB was the first boss I fought, but it took me about 3 tries to take down CB. Took down Father G on my first real attempt (Let him take me out the first time because I was totally unprepared haha).

I don't think I've come up against a real roadblock boss yet, just downed
Vicar Amelia
on my first go. Closest was
Blood-starved Beast
which took me I think 4 tries.

Yharnam, Pthumerian Queen down and another trophy is mine. Now I just have to get the other two endings and I'll have my first Platinum! The immense reach of the Burial Blade has made a lot of these Chalice Dungeon bosses very easy.

I am now looking to get the best Anti-Clockwise, Clockwise, and Clawmark runes so my NG+ run will be a tad easier. The Bloodborne wiki has Chalice glyphs that supposedly have these runes in them as well as where to find them. What do I need to do in order to use one of these glyphs? I have the Chalices but I haven't used them yet.

ramyeon

The lore in this game is so damn interesting. I've been watching early parts of EpicNameBro's playthrough of areas once I've cleared them just to hear any small tidbits I've missed and it's great. You'd think that'd be me want to find things myself less but it's actually made me way more attentive to areas and small details as I run through areas the first time myself too, just so I can try and pick everything up myself.

Downloaded a PDF file of what is effectively a 90 page long dissertation on the lore and story of Bloodborne to read once I'm done with the game too, can't wait.

Now I know why people get so hooked on the Souls series.

Just got back after a few months break, beat Rom before that and now I'm coming back trying to get my groove back.

Beat the hunter in the cathedral after many attempts and then I got lucky and cheesed it a bit. I think I need to go to the unseen village next, but I decided to try the castle and got my shit handed to me by some pregnant looking thing.

Can anyone tell me if I will be getting invaded if I use the hunter oath rune? I'm not really interested in PVP but some additional stamina recovery is real nice.

Xeilyn

Just got back after a few months break, beat Rom before that and now I'm coming back trying to get my groove back.

Beat the hunter in the cathedral after many attempts and then I got lucky and cheesed it a bit. I think I need to go to the unseen village next, but I decided to try the castle and got my shit handed to me by some pregnant looking thing.

Can anyone tell me if I will be getting invaded if I use the hunter oath rune? I'm not really interested in PVP but some additional stamina recovery is real nice.
Just run past the Bloodsuckers(pregnant looking things) they are hard as balls.

The hunter rune gives you a 5% chance to be hostile if you get summoned to another hunter of hunters game so dont worry

Soulhouf

Yharnam, Pthumerian Queen down and another trophy is mine. Now I just have to get the other two endings and I'll have my first Platinum! The immense reach of the Burial Blade has made a lot of these Chalice Dungeon bosses very easy.

I am now looking to get the best Anti-Clockwise, Clockwise, and Clawmark runes so my NG+ run will be a tad easier. The Bloodborne wiki has Chalice glyphs that supposedly have these runes in them as well as where to find them. What do I need to do in order to use one of these glyphs? I have the Chalices but I haven't used them yet.

Create one depth 5 root chalice with all the rituals and you'll unlock the possibility to access every depth 5 root Chalice (Pthumeru, Loran and Isz) including the Sinister ones.

Just run past the Bloodsuckers(pregnant looking things) they are hard as balls.

The hunter rune gives you a 5% chance to be hostile if you get summoned to another hunter of hunters game so dont worry

Oh really? I thought I must have simply been under levelled for the area, I was barely scratching them. But really wanted to explore that area, gave me feelings of looking up at the castle in 1-1 in Demons Souls.

Thanks for the info on that rune too, an easy decision to keep using it then.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Just finished it.
Did most stuff but missed Cathedral Ward by mistake.

Used a guide to get the moon presence ending because I rarely replay games, even Souls.

However, I'm thinking of starting a new save file with a dexterity build. I did strength this time.

Overall I wasn't very good at Bloodborne; summoned for the majority of the bosses. Also terrible at pvp. Meh. Hesitant for the above dex build, then. Imagine it will rely on speed rather than massive hits and I'm, honestly, not very good with the dodging. I played Demons, Dark, Dark2 behind a shield.

Loved it, even though it took me a bit of time to get into.

ZeroRay

Patch is up.

Checked the space the game takes up on my HDD and I'm almost sure it's slightly less than before. Hmm...no expansion assets in this update then :(

What do you guys with all the extra insight? I have like 85 currently plus at least 45 in my inventory probably. I've just been buying bolt and fire paper but I feel like they could be put to better use. Also how can I tell when to use fire, bolt or phantasm shell generally?

What do you guys with all the extra insight? I have like 85 currently plus at least 45 in my inventory probably. I've just been buying bolt and fire paper but I feel like they could be put to better use. Also how can I tell when to use fire, bolt or phantasm shell generally?
I have 99 insight all the time with 99 Madman's Knowledge and 24 Great One's Wisdom. I don't really spend it anymore except for when I have to summon for some coop fun. I really wish there was a lot of items in this game like Demon Souls and Dark Souls 1. It would've made it easy to spend everything I have.

Patch is up.

Checked the space the game takes up on my HDD and I'm almost sure it's slightly less than before. Hmm...no expansion assets in this update then :(
I'm assuming the expansion will be released in August, which is in line with past dlc.

What the hell? When I got summoned for coop against Amelia, my health was cut down a ton, like a lot more than 30%. My vitality is only at 12... I don't know if they implemented this nerf thing well.

What the hell? When I got summoned for coop against Amelia, my health was cut down a ton, like a lot more than 30%. My vitality is only at 12... I don't know if they implemented this nerf thing well.
I already hated the reduced health in co-op, but it's more extreme now?? Your summoner probably has craptastic stats.

Do Depth 5 chalices; you'll get one after fighting a boss or in a chest.

Isn't that the one with 2 Bell maidens and 2 lycans in one room?
I think it was one Lycan and one of the other Lycans was in an optional side room or something. All I know is that when I went to fight the first Abhorrent beast after going back to the hunters dream after killing everything I had to run from a spider and it probably almost entered the boss room with me.

Melchiah

I think it was one Lycan and one of the other Lycans was in an optional side room or something. All I know is that when I went to fight the first Abhorrent beast after going back to the hunters dream after killing everything I had to run from a spider and it probably almost entered the boss room with me.

There are two werewolves and two chime maidens spawning spiders in the Lower Ailing Loran. Definitely the most annoying chalice room I've encountered so far.

Donos

Finished the game at last! A GOTY easily. The only boss i think i've forgot to kill was
the hunter that appears inside Cathedral Ward.
So now. Any real good reason to keep playing it in NG+ having The Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight waiting for me? I really need a break of tension, excitement and concentration that this game produce. (I'm not interested in Chalice Dungeons)

You cleared all the chalices up to Yharnam Queen? Lots of new bosses (and enemies) there. And some good challenge in the defiled bosses.

Edit: ah ok, no interest in Chalices. Bummer since some bosses there are really nice (Abhorrent Beast...)

There are two werewolves and two chime maidens spawning spiders in the Lower Ailing Loran. Definitely the most annoying chalice room I've encountered so far.
Oh fucking christ that sounds painful. I can deal with those separately, but in the same room? FUCK! I'd have to go after the maidens, run around the fucking room to space shit out, kill the other maiden, run around the room, stun lock kill a werewolf and then kill the other or something, that just sounds sadistic.

It was my least favorite room until I found another one. I forgot which chalice it is but this room had the witch of hemiwick and 4 of those enemies it spawns. The next room also had a witch. Hemiwick Witches are incredibly annoying since they instantly spawn new enemies after you've killed them. When you rush her, she does a blasted aoe attack that either one shots you or knocks you down for her minions. At least you can funnel the spiders away from the maidens and the Maiden doesn't hit hard. Witch of Hemiwick can kiss my ass.
Oh fucking christ that sounds painful. I can deal with those separately, but in the same room? FUCK! I'd have to go after the maidens, run around the fucking room to space shit out, kill the other maiden, run around the room, stun lock kill a werewolf and then kill the other or something, that just sounds sadistic.
It is and the spiders are annoying with the range and space of their attacks. You'll find a solution once you encounter it.

Worst room I've encountered is one in Isz where there were 2 aliens spamming their arcane projectile attacks from a distance.

Two Brainsuckers were guarding one of them, while up some stairs there were 3 lycans guarding the other. Then there were a couple more Brainsuckers sprinkled in somewhere in the room for good measure.

Melchiah

Yeah, I quit that dungeon right there, and haven't gone back yet. I guess I'll eventually try taking care of the maiden below first, because the werewolves are guarding the other above the stairs.

It was my least favorite room until I found another one. I forgot which chalice it is but this room had the witch of hemiwick and 4 of those enemies it spawns. Hemiwick Witches are incredibly annoying since they instantly spawn new enemies after you've killed them. When you rush her, she does a blasted aoe attack that either one shots you or knocks you down for her minions. At least you can funnel the spiders away from the maidens and the Maiden doesn't hit hard. Witch of Hemiwick can kiss my ass.

It is and the spiders are annoying with the range and space of their attacks. You'll find a solution once you encounter it.

o_O I don't think I've come across a witch that spawns new enemies so far. IIRC, it was Isz Root chalice, where there was a room with two witches, one throwing fire and the other bolt projectiles, accompanied with Keeper of the Old Lords & two Hellhounds, and a werewolf. The hellhounds are far worse than the werewolves. The room was a pain the ass. I had to lure them away from there one by one, until only the witches remained. Even then, I had to kill one of them with Evelyn & Bone Marrow Ash, because the projectiles killed me with two hits, and they spammed them a handful at the time.

Worst room I've encountered is one in Isz where there were 2 aliens spamming their arcane projectile attacks from a distance.

Two Brainsuckers were guarding one of them, while up some stairs there were 3 lycans guarding the other. Then there were a couple more Brainsuckers sprinkled in somewhere in the room for good measure.

That was challenging/annoying room as well.

Alpende

I had a lot of trouble with him on my first playtrough, lost my calmness when he turns berserk. In NG+ he's easy as hell, you know the combat better, know to stay calm and I killed him on my first try.

Great first bossfight.

Does anybody else play this game with the audio going through headphones? I found it helped me a lot since certain enemies made specific sounds and just helped me concentrate on the environment.

ryan13ts

Hey there Bloodborne GAF! I just got a PS4 the other day and Bloodborne was my first game (pretty much the reason I got the system). I've played Souls games before so I'm not completely new to things, but some stuff seems to work a little differently than in Souls that I don't understand, mainly the online.

I saw the passcode for GAF in the OP and typed that into the pass section, and used the bell to try to summon someone but never got any response. Am I doing this right? or do I also need to specifically have another person as my friend in order to play even with the pass? Sorry for the dumb questions ahead of time. I'm really just wanting to play with some other GAF'ers if possible.

myco666

Hey there Bloodborne GAF! I just got a PS4 the other day and Bloodborne was my first game (pretty much the reason I got the system). I've played Souls games before so I'm not completely new to things, but some stuff seems to work a little differently than in Souls that I don't understand, mainly the online.

I saw the passcode for GAF in the OP and typed that into the pass section, and used the bell to try to summon someone but never got any response. Am I doing this right? or do I also need to specifically have another person as my friend in order to play even with the pass? Sorry for the dumb questions ahead of time. I'm really just wanting to play with some other GAF'ers if possible.

You understood correctly how it works. No need to be friends in order to the password to work but I guess no one really uses the GAF code any more. Atleast I haven't used it in a long time. Just ask for someone to play from this thread so that you will certainly get someone summoned.

ryan13ts

You understood correctly how it works. No need to be friends in order to the password to work but I guess no one really uses the GAF code any more. Atleast I haven't used it in a long time. Just ask for someone to play from this thread so that you will certainly get someone summoned.

Awesome, thanks man, glad to know I was actually doing it right.

Well, does anyone want to play? I'm still relatively early in the game.

Threaded Cane has E Strength Scaling, Blade of Mercy has no Strength scaling, thus why Skill gives a point in both but Strength only gives a point to TC.

Also, your Threaded Cane has no base Arcane stat so you aren't getting anything out of Arcane for it (and I would argue that raising Arcane stat for Blade of Mercy is unwise as well, as its Arcane base is too low for it to be worthwhile. Go pure skill for BoM and use gems with flat Arcane bonuses if you want dual-typed damage).

Threaded Cane has E Strength Scaling, Blade of Mercy has no Strength scaling, thus why Skill gives a point in both but Strength only gives a point to TC.

Also, your Threaded Cane has no base Arcane stat so you aren't getting anything out of Arcane for it (and I would argue that raising Arcane stat for Blade of Mercy is unwise as well, as its Arcane base is too low for it to be worthwhile. Go pure skill for BoM and use gems with flat Arcane bonuses if you want dual-typed damage).
So basically I should just continue to pump skill for the rest of the character as it benefits both? Also why do people suggest not to raise vitality over 50? Is it just the payoff is too low or something because I can still get more health if I raised it to 51.

It means that you gain less per Vitality point past 50.

It doesn't mean that going past it isn't useful, but since a lot of players like to ration their stat points they would rather put those extra points towards something else.

It means that you gain less per Vitality point past 50.

It doesn't mean that going past it isn't useful, but since a lot of players like to ration their stat points they would rather put those extra points towards something else.
Yeah I mean I'm not in to PvP much so I don't need to retain my skill level for anything, might as well add some more points in to skill and vitality right?

Only thing I can see that's useless is boosting endurance past 40, there doesn't seem to be any use at all.

I mean, if you don't care about coop matchmaking and don't care about optimal stats, then by all means Vitality will get you more past 50 than the other stats, IMO.

Yeah I mean I'm not in to PvP much so I don't need to retain my skill level for anything, might as well add some more points in to skill and vitality right?

Only thing I can see that's useless is boosting endurance past 40, there doesn't seem to be any use at all.

If you keep putting points into Skill past 50 you likely only be getting one extra point on your total attack rating every other level or so. Compared to the 2-5 points you would gain every level from base stats to 50. You definitely can keep putting points into it but if you're really just going to keep levelling forever then you might as well put more points into Bloodtinge, or get to 30 Strength so you can use the Cannon.

myco666

I think it would be wiser to put points into other attributes so that you can maximize damage on all weapons. IMO 50 on everything is much better than 99 on few. Also with Arcane you get useful tools and with Bloodtinge you get higher gun damage.

The lore in this game is so damn interesting. I've been watching early parts of EpicNameBro's playthrough of areas once I've cleared them just to hear any small tidbits I've missed and it's great. You'd think that'd be me want to find things myself less but it's actually made me way more attentive to areas and small details as I run through areas the first time myself too, just so I can try and pick everything up myself.

Downloaded a PDF file of what is effectively a 90 page long dissertation on the lore and story of Bloodborne to read once I'm done with the game too, can't wait.

Now I know why people get so hooked on the Souls series.

I love watching ENB's vids, they are really interesting and you're right they do make you want to explore more, I'm starting DS2 Scholar of the first sin and i've found myself taking my time rather than running through as quickly as possible.

Where did you get the PDF from, I would love to read that?

I love watching ENB's vids, they are really interesting and you're right they do make you want to explore more, I'm starting DS2 Scholar of the first sin and i've found myself taking my time rather than running through as quickly as possible.

ENB is great. He's trying to do a no death, no level up run of the game and man...it's interesting. He's also doing an in depth play through of Dark Souls too, which is pretty cool and it's fun seeing all the tidbits that he points out in there though switching from Bloodborne to Dark Souls constantly is tripping him up a bit. I'm still kind of pissed that I can't see a Kay Plays of Bloodborne, I love her Dark Souls videos.

ramyeon

Yeah they're fantastic, it's a really nice way to compliment my playthrough by watching him go through areas I've already cleared out myself. Planning to start DS2 on PS4 after Bloodborne too myself haha.

Here's the essay on Bloodborne's lore, haven't read any of it myself yet but it seems pretty legit.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k7ST7Ysc9I3s6zLXr-DOzWjoAtu6afOOCaU3ucCdBDk/edit

ENB is great. He's trying to do a no death, no level up run of the game and man...it's interesting. He's also doing an in depth play through of Dark Souls too, which is pretty cool and it's fun seeing all the tidbits that he points out in there though switching from Bloodborne to Dark Souls constantly is tripping him up a bit. I'm still kind of pissed that I can't see a Kay Plays of Bloodborne, I love her Dark Souls videos.

I'm loving that Reckfast playthrough he is doing at the moment and the Dark Souls lore one, he is such an interesting guy to listen to, i've only known about him the last few months so it's been great to catch up on all his older vids, I don't know Kay plays, i'll have to look out for that channel.

Yeah they're fantastic, it's a really nice way to compliment my playthrough by watching him go through areas I've already cleared out myself. Planning to start DS2 on PS4 after Bloodborne too myself haha.

Here's the essay on Bloodborne's lore, haven't read any of it myself yet but it seems pretty legit.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k7ST7Ysc9I3s6zLXr-DOzWjoAtu6afOOCaU3ucCdBDk/edit

Thanks for the link :) i'm alternating DS2 and ESO at the moment, it's taking a bit of getting used to playing the DS style again but it's getting there, all good fun!

Top Bottom