• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

ENB is great. He's trying to do a no death, no level up run of the game and man...it's interesting. He's also doing an in depth play through of Dark Souls too, which is pretty cool and it's fun seeing all the tidbits that he points out in there though switching from Bloodborne to Dark Souls constantly is tripping him up a bit. I'm still kind of pissed that I can't see a Kay Plays of Bloodborne, I love her Dark Souls videos.

Thanks for the Kay Plays recommendation, I watched a couple of her videos last night and really enjoyed them :)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm also open to coop folks; anyone need assistance or anything, invite me at PSN LaughingBanana

If I am online and free I'll be sure to help :) I am available right now if anyone require help.

Shari

I'm also open to coop folks; anyone need assistance or anything, invite me at PSN LaughingBanana

If I am online and free I'll be sure to help :) I am available right now if anyone require help.

Im quoting you on this my man. I need help with longarius (surprise, huh) and no one wants to do coop in that area for some reason.

I'm at work right now but wouldn't mind some help later this evening if you are available. Anyhow, I'll add you as soon as I turn on my PS4 later on!

I can see myself eventually needing assistance though lately I've been able to find a solution so add me if I don't add you tomorrow.
Thanks for the Kay Plays recommendation, I watched a couple of her videos last night and really enjoyed them :)
Your welcome, Kay is so kooky, but she's having a lot of fun with it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Im quoting you on this my man. I need help with longarius (surprise, huh) and no one wants to do coop in that area for some reason.

I'm at work right now but wouldn't mind some help later this evening if you are available. Anyhow, I'll add you as soon as I turn on my PS4 later on!

I can see myself eventually needing assistance though lately I've been able to find a solution so add me if I don't add you tomorrow.

Your welcome, Kay is so kooky, but she's having a lot of fun with it.

Sure guys, if I'm online I'll help in anyway I can :) I've sent you the FR Jaded.

ryan13ts

I have some questions about the Blood Rock in Nightmare of Mensis/Mother Brain

I have the make contact gesture and want to get the tier 3 moon rune but I also want the blood rock and to kill Mother Brain I guess, which method should I use to get the blood rock? http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Blood+Rock. Never done any of this stuff before and basically I want as many items as possible.

1 or 2?

I have some questions about the Blood Rock in Nightmare of Mensis/Mother Brain

I have the make contact gesture and want to get the tier 3 moon rune but I also want the blood rock and to kill Mother Brain I guess, which method should I use to get the blood rock? http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Blood+Rock

1 or 2?
There is no reason not to pull the lever
pull lever, get choir bell and rock, make contact, kill brain for ritual material.

I'm now part of the platinum club!
20150715113030.jpg

I did chalices right before
Gehrman
and made a copy of my save so I can just do one play through. Honestly, chalices ruined the game for me after a while it just wasn't fun. I'll probably pick it up later but for right now I need a long break from Bloodborne.

Shari

I'm now part of the platinum club!

I did chalices right before
Gehrman
and made a copy of my save so I can just do one play through. Honestly, chalices ruined the game for me after a while it just wasn't fun. I'll probably pick it up later but for right now I need a long break from Bloodborne.

Congrats and all but isn't it sad to spoil yourself everything to be able to run for platinum on your 1st playthrough?

Specially considering this is the "shortest" of the souls games. Is the trophy more important than the experience?

Not judging, just stroked me as odd.

Congrats and all but isn't it sad to spoil yourself everything to be able to run for platinum on your 1st playthrough?

Specially considering this is the "shortest" of the souls games. Is the trophy more important than the experience?

I have 80+ hours in the game, I think I experienced enough. I don't see how the experience could change. I pretty much explored all parts of the world through my exploration, helping people, and people helping me

Melchiah

I did the same, and followed web guides regarding NPCs and optional areas. I usually don't replay games, which is why I want to experience all the content on the first and only playthrough. It didn't lessen the experience for me, quite the contrary, as I would have missed many things going in blind. I ended up replaying the game few weeks after completing it, which is very rare for me. That's something I couldn't anticipate when I started playing the game. There were times when I thought I'd never be able to see the ending credits.

Shari

Got it, I'm also a one-playthrough player so I totally relate with what you guys are saying.

Somehow my brain was making an exception for this kind of games lol.

Melchiah

Got it, I'm also a one-playthrough player so I totally relate with what you guys are saying.

Somehow my brain was making an exception for this kind of games lol.

I will take a different approach with the DLC though, now that I know I'll be replaying it. So, I'll play the first time without guides on my level 100 build, and then replay it with guides on level 193 build, or whatever it's at that point. ;)

spliced

Closing in on that Plat, just have Ihyll and Isz left. I'm so thankful I got through Defiled without too many problems. Those Madmen enemies are serious nightmare fuel.

Melchiah

Closing in on that Plat, just have Ihyll and Isz left. I'm so thankful I got through Defiled without too many problems. Those Madmen enemies are serious nightmare fuel.

I'm having a hard time with the Watchdog. Its charge move oneshots me, and it's hard to predict when it comes. Managed to half its health on the first try, but on the subsequent times it keeps charging more often.

Yes. Be sure to
Make Contact once you find the brain in its helpless state before you kill it. You'll get both the rune and the living string this way.

I pulled the lever and
got the blood rock, but now I can't find Mother Brain to get the living string or the rune... I fucked up right?

Melchiah

I pulled the lever and
got the blood rock, but now I can't find Mother Brain to get the living string or the rune... I fucked up right?

You have to go
back to the place with Mergo's Attendants, and use one of the cage elevators in the bottom floor, where there are holes in the ground.

You have to go
back to the place with Mergo's Attendants, and use one of the cage elevators in the bottom floor, where there are holes in the ground.
Thanks, never would have found it on my own. I'm using make contact but nothing's happening, do I just get the moon rune after I kill it?

edit; nvm, figured it out

got one shotted by the defiled chalice watchdog of the old lords when it had like 5% health ://////

Do you guys think its worth adding 7ish points into bloodtinge to use Evelyn? I wouldn't really be adding any extra to bloodtinge so I doubt it would be any good for damage, I just use guns to parry (blunderbuss is what I use normally). Right now I'm level 100, have something like 40 Vit, 30ish endurance, 50 skill, 10 str, 7 or 8 bloodtinge and 10 arcane.

Soulhouf

Do you guys think its worth adding 7ish points into bloodtinge to use Evelyn? I wouldn't really be adding any extra to bloodtinge so I doubt it would be any good for damage, I just use guns to parry (blunderbuss is what I use normally). Right now I'm level 100, have something like 40 Vit, 30ish endurance, 50 skill, 10 str, 7 or 8 bloodtinge and 10 arcane.

I believe Evelyn out-damages the Hunter Pistol at 22 or 23 Bloodtinge. So unless you're doing a bloodtinge build, it's not worth it.

spliced

I'm having a hard time with the Watchdog. Its charge move oneshots me, and it's hard to predict when it comes. Managed to half its health on the first try, but on the subsequent times it keeps charging more often.

It one shotted me with that charge too. My strategy was wide circles around it's head and attack it's back end and spam side dodges when it charged or if I lost sight of it. It was hard to keep it in camera view while circling around but it worked out in the end. I did most of the fight not locked on.

Melchiah

It one shotted me with that charge too. My strategy was wide circles around it's head and attack it's back end and spam side dodges when it charged or if I lost sight of it. It was hard to keep it in camera view while circling around but it worked out in the end. I did most of the fight not locked on.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that approach the next time.

Now that I'm used to this game and know all of the bosses' patterns, I figured I would let Logarious power up when I fought him today. I didn't really notice any difference, at least not in his moveset. Does he just do more damage or something when he powers up?

myco666

Now that I'm used to this game and know all of the bosses' patterns, I figured I would let Logarious power up when I fought him today. I didn't really notice any difference, at least not in his moveset. Does he just do more damage or something when he powers up?

His buff is more of an shield. It deflects bullets rather randomly. Not sure if only long range shots or also close range shots. Don't think it does anything else.

His buff is more of an shield. It deflects bullets rather randomly. Not sure if only long range shots or also close range shots. Don't think it does anything else.

Oh that's it? That doesn't sound too bad. I'm guessing that would suck for people who rely on parries for this fight, but I have no trouble dodging his attacks.

Oh that's it? That doesn't sound too bad. I'm guessing that would suck for people who rely on parries for this fight, but I have no trouble dodging his attacks.
He can still be parried because I'm pretty sure I've never knocked him out of his power up phase and still managed to parry him.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Had a blast cooping with ryan13ts, myco666, and soulhuf last night. I was awake up to 3 AM and to think that I first thought I'm done with this game after platinuming it lol.

myco666

Had a blast cooping with ryan13ts, myco666, and soulhuf last night. I was awake up to 3 AM and to think that I first thought I'm done with this game after platinuming it lol.

You will never be done with this game haha. I have finally managed to not put all my free time into this and play other games but still come back to this rather often. It is just so good.

There's a door in the cathedral ward down a set of spiral stairs, in the dead end area with the big giant guy with the mace that never opens... what's up with that?

So I got killed by that big monster when reaching the unseen village and woke up in a cell.
What exactly do I do now? I killed the electric beast thanks to co-op but the badge seems to be useless as I already have the Tonitrus weapon.

Got a nice amount of echoes out of it though. I managed to position myself in the right spot and got the giant hogs to damage each other and one died. I made swift work of the other one as it was already wounded.

ramyeon

First play through is going really well so far, especially since this is my first try at a From Soft game. I love it, just want more and more.

I just beat
the Hunter NPC in the Grand Cathedral that wounded Eileen earlier today. That was the most intense fight I've had yet. Took about four tries but eventually I could predict their attacks well enough to reliably parry them with my Hunter Pistol and Visceral Attack them to death. Are there any more fights like this in the game? It was way more thrilling than any boss encounter I've had yet. If this is what PVP is like I'm definitely down.

As such I decided to try out the Blades of Mercy. I've basically been pumping levels into Vit/End/Ski/Str evenly up until now - I notice this weapon also scales with Arcane? Is it still going to work for me if I mainly focus on Skill from here with a bit in the other stats (Also want to continue using Ludwig's Holy Blade on the side).

Alright,
blood starved beast
is the most frustrating boss in any Souls-style game I've ever encountered. I get that the game is supposed to be punishing but does every boss need to have a billion health points? At least I'm glad summon signs are in this game otherwise I would've probably stopped playing altogether.

Alright,
blood starved beast
is the most frustrating boss in any Souls-style game I've ever encountered. I get that the game is supposed to be punishing but does every boss need to have a billion health points? At least I'm glad summon signs are in this game otherwise I would've probably stopped playing altogether.

He doesn't really have that much health. He definitely has less than Cleric Beast. Is your weapon upgraded to 3+? If not, you should do that. Use fire paper too for more damage.

EDIT: Reread the post, and it seems like you already beat it? Nevermind then.

klee123

Hmm, I found BSS to be quite easy provided that you can time your firearm shots to set up for a visceral attack.

Going head on to BSB is pretty much suicide, especially on the second phase where it likes to inflict poison.

ramyeon

Hmm, I found BSS to be quite easy provided that you can time your firearm shots to set up for a visceral attack.

Going head on to BSB is pretty much suicide, especially on the second phase where it likes to inflict poison.
First phase of BSB was really easy for me, like you said he is really easy to stagger with your gun and then attack. If you're using Saw Cleaver or Spear with that Beast damage bonus and a Fire Paper I imagine a charged R2 with that would actually do more than a Visceral but that's just a guess since I had the Axe at that point.

The other phases he has are a bit more unpredictable yeah, you just have to keep on your feet really and a lot of the time when he does those large sweeps across the room you can dodge away and around it to end up at his side or back to get some hits in.

Fire Paper helps a lot and Antidotes are a must, but just keep at it yeah. He doesn't have a whole lot of health at the end of the day and like I said maybe consider using either the Cleaver or the Saw Spear for that bonus damage against Beasts (Does the Spear only have it on its untransformed state? Not sure on that one).

Edit: I see you already summoned someone and beat it, but hopefully this helps someone haha.

Greddleok

Blood Starved Beast wasn't a sticking point for me. I'd heard how difficult it was from multiple people, then killed it on my second try. The first time caught me by surprise because I got poisoned too many times. The second I just parried it and used the pillars to keep it out of LOS. The pillars are so incredibly useful in that fight.

Not seeing it as having too much HP. My R2 attacks took off a fair amount of its health, and viscerals do a shit ton of damage. I'm actually finding it hard to think of any boss that I'd consider having too much HP. If you're upgrading your weapon consistently nothing should feel insurmountable with the possible exception of DBP, but that's because you're dragged there early.

I find it so fascinating that people find different bosses to be hard/easy. I struggled with TOR. It took me a good 5+ or so tries before I got it down. The enemies leading up to it are also a giant pain in the ass, so I'd go into the arena stressed out from fighting those. Then on NG+ it felt like a piece of cake. It's basically just the Maw Dragon from DS.

Blood Starved Beast wasn't a sticking point for me. I'd heard how difficult it was from multiple people, then killed it on my second try. The first time caught me by surprise because I got poisoned too many times. The second I just parried it and used the pillars to keep it out of LOS. The pillars are so incredibly useful in that fight.

Not seeing it as having too much HP. My R2 attacks took off a fair amount of its health, and viscerals do a shit ton of damage. I'm actually finding it hard to think of any boss that I'd consider having too much HP. If you're upgrading your weapon consistently nothing should feel insurmountable with the possible exception of DBP, but that's because you're dragged there early.

I find it so fascinating that people find different bosses to be hard/easy. I struggled with TOR. It took me a good 5+ or so tries before I got it down. The enemies leading up to it are also a giant pain in the ass, so I'd go into the arena stressed out from fighting those. Then on NG+ it felt like a piece of cake. It's basically just the Maw Dragon from DS.
Most people playing for their first time usually don't catch that you can parry BSB (because parrying things like that was unheard of in previous Souls games), which makes a huge difference in that fight.

Top Bottom