• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

mulac

After you beat the game you're thrown into new game + so do whatever side stuff you want before the last fight.
Regarding the endings you can either choose to not fight Gherman, fight him or fight him after eating the umbilical cords to trigger Moon Presence. I ate them right before fighting Gherman so as long as you eat three of them Moon Presence will come. You can still do the chalice dungeons in NG+ because your materials for them carries over and they don't scale with NG+ either. There's a cloud save trick to get all three endings in one play through.

If you're using Chikage with only 18 bloodtinge you're not even utilizing the full potential of the weapon. It's actually a really good skill weapon, but the power of it is also really in it's transformed mode, which scales to bloodtinge. Chunks you can find off the blue eyed wolves in Upper Cathedral Ward or randomly off the gargoyles in Cainhurst, either way it's a rare drop. You can get them in the later chalices as well as a drop, but don't ask me which ones. I've beaten Lower Ailing Loran without seeing a single one so far.

Got it. Will level up to 20 bloodtinge at least and continue through the dungeons, get bloodtinge to 50...

Its like another game within the game...i do think i am massively overlevelled though.
Really want this platinum to be my second ever...

So you mean
Gherman and Moon is one ending, Just Gherman fight is another and letting Gherman kill you is the third?
Exactly.
Got it. Will level up to 20 bloodtinge at least and continue through the dungeons, get bloodtinge to 50...

Its like another game within the game...i do think i am massively overlevelled though.
Really want this platinum to be my second ever...
Yeah if you can get Bloodtinge to 50, but man that might take a bit of time. I'm honestly doing a skill/bloodtinge build and trying to figure out what to level up is a pain in the ass at times. I have decent vit, but my endurance is a bit low and skill is my highest stat with Bloodtinge catching up a bit. Chikage is a power house though. With the right gems the +8 chikage does a lot of damage even without being transformed, it's become one of my favorite weapons.

mulac

Exactly.

Yeah if you can get Bloodtinge to 50, but man that might take a bit of time. I'm honestly doing a skill/bloodtinge build and trying to figure out what to level up is a pain in the ass at times. I have decent vit, but my endurance is a bit low and skill is my highest stat with Bloodtinge catching up a bit. Chikage is a power house though. With the right gems the +8 chikage does a lot of damage even without being transformed, it's become one of my favorite weapons.

Anything to help with the dungeons!
Should be ok, just run through Mergo Loft middle with 2 moon runes equiped...missed the third and farm roughly 800 echoes per time, plus progress through dungeons.

Aiming to get fhe Plat by end of July.

Manu

So I just started a second playthrough (I beat the game when it came out) and I've been two-handing the Hunter Axe. It makes most fights a joke.

Gascoigne was even giving me a hard time because I kept trying to parry him, when I tried just using two handed charge attacks from behind the graves I got him on my first try.

Final Chalice Dungeon boss, the time is now!

After this, all I need to do is finish off the 3rd ending, and I will have Platinum. I've got no idea what I am about to face in the final chalice boss, probably two of those fiery dogs :D

EDIT: And done, first go!
That was a much easier fight than the other two in the last dungeon, especially the first guy, he was a total piece of shit.

Also, I feel that that should of been a boss at the end of the game, not in the optional dungeons.

Platinum done. I think I'll move onto something else now, but it's been an awesome 100 hours! I kept a backup save incase the DLC is activated inside the story like in Dark Souls, but hopefully that won't be the case.

mulac

Final Chalice Dungeon boss, the time is now!

After this, all I need to do is finish off the 3rd ending, and I will have Platinum. I've got no idea what I am about to face in the final chalice boss, probably two of those fiery dogs :D

EDIT: And done, first go!
That was a much easier fight than the other two in the last dungeon, especially the first guy, he was a total piece of shit.

Also, I feel that that should of been a boss at the end of the game, not in the optional dungeons.

Platinum done. I think I'll move onto something else now, but it's been an awesome 100 hours! I kept a backup save incase the DLC is activated inside the story like in Dark Souls, but hopefully that won't be the case.

Similar position. If I may ask, how did you approach the dungeons? What stats did you enter and any tips towards the plat?

Really enjoying this still, just beat
rom

There's no way to get any chalices without the first one right? The playthroughs I watched had them being found in the dungeons.

Malus

Hoooooooo boy. So I just beat the game. I had heard there were multiple endings. I didn't want to spoil anything in regards to the endings so I avoided looking up anything about it. Was worried I'd see a thumbnail or see some big spoiler out of the corner of my eye when searching for details.

So, I was hoping for one of four things:

1.) I'd get a "point of no return" message.

2.) After getting one ending the game would give me the option of starting new game plus, or restarting from a previous checkpoint.

3.) It'd be SO OBVIOUS that I was at the end that I'd be able figure it out and clear up any loose ends before that.

4.) If I missed an ending, it wouldn't be too big a deal. Maybe a slight difference to a cutscene or something.

Now that I missed it, and know what I missed....fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. And now my progress is gone. I just feel...empty. I was feeling great, just beat a few bosses and made some great progress through the stressful and atmospheric world of BB. Super excited to try and unravel as much of the mystery as I could. Then just...poof. Guess I'll watch it on Youtube.

I get that the game is obtuse, and there's lots of optional stuff you can miss, and that's a part of the charm. I don't necessarily think that should change. I just feel like I beat the game, and I don't feel good about it. That's all there is really.

myco666

Hoooooooo boy. So I just beat the game. I had heard there were multiple endings. I didn't want to spoil anything in regards to the endings so I avoided looking up anything about it. Was worried I'd see a thumbnail or see some big spoiler out of the corner of my eye when searching for details.

So, I was hoping for one of four things:

1.) I'd get a "point of no return" message.

2.) After getting one ending the game would give me the option of starting new game plus, or restarting from a previous checkpoint.

3.) It'd be SO OBVIOUS that I was at the end that I'd be able figure it out and clear up any loose ends before that.

4.) If I missed an ending, it wouldn't be too big a deal. Maybe a slight difference to a cutscene or something.

Now that I missed it, and know what I missed....fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. And now my progress is gone. I just feel...empty. I was feeling great, just beat a few bosses and made some great progress through the stressful and atmospheric world of BB. Super excited to try and unravel as much of the mystery as I could. Then just...poof. Guess I'll watch it on Youtube.

I get that the game is obtuse, and there's lots of optional stuff you can miss, and that's a part of the charm. I don't necessarily think that should change. I just feel like I beat the game, and I don't feel good about it. That's all there is really.

To be fair it is rather obvious when you are at the point of no return.
The house is burning and Gehrman asks if you want to wake from the nightmare.
Don't know how much clearer they could have informed the player about the ending. Message would not fit at all IMO.

Malus

To be fair it is rather obvious when you are at the point of no return.
The house is burning and Gehrman asks if you want to wake from the nightmare.
Don't know how much clearer they could have informed the player about the ending. Message would not fit at all IMO.

I mean,
the Hunter's Dream changes before the house starts burning. I thought it was just another in a series of changes. The thing is though, it's clear that there was still stuff that needed doing. I just acquired the first piece of umbilical cord. There was a note earlier in the game talking about 3 cords, so I thought, "Oh, one down 2 to go, so let's talk to the guy at the tree first." When the doll was talking about the end being near, I thought, "Yeah, just two more cords and probably the finale."

They definitely could've been clearer. Other games have really clear "Point of No Return" markers. But it's not a clear game, and that's the point. I don't disagree with that direction, but I'm just saying my experience with the game is pretty sour after this. All my fucking progress :mad:

I mean they can be as obscure as they want but at least give me the option to go back! Bah.

Femto.

With the 1.05 update can someone explain to me how summoning a friend with a password works?

When I went over the patch notes I got the impression that I could summon anyone regardless of level as long as we use the same password and the starts are scaled. I could be totally wrong though.

With the 1.05 update can someone explain to me how summoning a friend with a password works?

When I went over the patch notes I got the impression that I could summon anyone regardless of level as long as we use the same password and the starts are scaled. I could be totally wrong though.

Levels don't matter any more they scale if the two people are very far apart level wise. Just enter a password in network settings and it'll match you when you ring the bells.

My brother and I have done this the whole game it's rather simple. My tip is for quick matching ring the resonant bell first then the beckoning bell like 5 seconds after.

myco666

I mean,
the Hunter's Dream changes before the house starts burning. I thought it was just another in a series of changes. The thing is though, it's clear that there was still stuff that needed doing. I just acquired the first piece of umbilical cord. There was a note earlier in the game talking about 3 cords, so I thought, "Oh, one down 2 to go, so let's talk to the guy at the tree first." When the doll was talking about the end being near, I thought, "Yeah, just two more cords and probably the finale."

They definitely could've been clearer. Other games have really clear "Point of No Return" markers. But it's not a clear game, and that's the point. I don't disagree with that direction, but I'm just saying my experience with the game is pretty sour after this. All my fucking progress :mad:

I mean they can be as obscure as they want but at least give me the option to go back! Bah.

I can understand that it left a bad taste when you had no idea. To me it felt pretty clear though when it was ending. Especially the last boss fight was really clear that it was the last boss. Having NG+ like DS2 would be preferrable yes but I don't really know how you would implement that into the story.

Yes you can summon anyone regardless of the level if you use password. They won't steamroll through the game for you though since the damage output gets scaled down.

What's up with FROM and having the inability to do proper netcode in their games?

Same shit as Dark Souls and Dark Souls II, there is a clear half second delay between the enemies input and what I'm actually seeing on screen. Very frustrating to have a game that's extremely twitch based have such horrible online play.

Femto.

Levels don't matter any more they scale if the two people are very far apart level wise. Just enter a password in network settings and it'll match you when you ring the bells.

My brother and I have done this the whole game it's rather simple. My tip is for quick matching ring the resonant bell first then the beckoning bell like 5 seconds after.

Yes you can summon anyone regardless of the level if you use password. They won't steamroll through the game for you though since the damage output gets scaled down.
Thanks!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I mean,

Dude, just power through NG+ for the optional stuff and other endings. It'll be really fast.

I've fallen in love with the Chikage...I don't know if it's the Ruroni Kenshin styled moveset or the damage on the transformed mode, but this thing is too good. I ended up taking apart The One Reborn with it, should've recorded it, but I wasn't expecting it to be that powerful. He wasn't one shotted, but that weapon does a good amount of damage.

ramyeon

Finally getting around to Nightmare of Mensis. It feels like every enemy here was designed to be as annoying as possible and they all hit like a truck.

Man they were so bad. And then the spider room followed by a hunter, all before opening any shortcuts back to the lamp before the castle ascent. So evil.
Not to mention dealing with the eye or sauron pelting you with frenzy it might even get worse further into the level though. Oh god those singing brain bitches...fuck.

ramyeon

Not to mention dealing with the eye or sauron pelting you with frenzy it might even get worse further into the level though. Oh god those singing brain bitches...fuck.
I had a feeling I hadn't seen the last of those things. Something to look forward to... Haha. On the plus side Micolash was a pushover, I don't think he got more than one or two hits in against the Blades of Mercy, so easy to stun lock him.

Man they were so bad. And then the spider room followed by a hunter, all before opening any shortcuts back to the lamp before the castle ascent. So evil.

The spider room was surprisingly easy, leading them to the door and filtering the small ones out made it trivial. After they are dealt with I use Ludwig's blade and killed the biggun through the wall.

As for the hunter he went down easy, though I was cooping. Used a charge attack as he came towards me then my brother finished him off with the blades of Mercy.

We have found Ludwig's Sword and the Blades of Mercy perfectly compliment each other.

Not looking forward to these white lanterns, need to get that Blood Rock though.

ramyeon

The spider room was surprisingly easy, leading them to the door and filtering the small ones out made it trivial. After they are dealt with I use Ludwig's blade and killed the biggun through the wall.

As for the hunter he went down easy, though I was cooping. Used a charge attack as he came towards me then my brother finished him off with the blades of Mercy.

We have found Ludwig's Sword and the Blades of Mercy perfectly compliment each other.

Not looking forward to these white lanterns, need to get that Blood Rock though.
The Hunter was easy yeah, I haven't really had any huge issues with Hunters after beating the Chikage Hunter, besides the group of three in Yahar'gul. It was just a very long stretch between the start and the lantern and the idea of repeating the ascent with the Eye of Sauron stuff going on was not a very pleasant thought lol.

I had a feeling I hadn't seen the last of those things. Something to look forward to... Haha. On the plus side Micolash was a pushover, I don't think he got more than one or two hits in against the Blades of Mercy, so easy to stun lock him.
I had a harder time finding him during the second phase than I did fighting him. His only deadly attack are those damn lasers. If you ever do a second time go skill/bloodtinge, I'm loving the chikage.

ramyeon

I had a harder time finding him during the second phase than I did fighting him. His only deadly attack are those damn lasers. If you ever do a second time go skill/bloodtinge, I'm loving the chikage.
So keen to do a skill/Bloodtinge build. There are so many weapons and firearms I want to use but can't (Including the Chikage!) because of my pitiful Bloodtinge stat. LHB and the BoM are doing me really well though, that said.

Just found a Blood Rock so I can get to +10 finally! Now the big question is LHB or BoM? :/ The former seems to be useful in a wider range of situations, Blades of Mercy kinda fall flat if it's an enemy you can't stun lock.

ramyeon

I don't think I would have figured out
that you're supposed to use the Make Contact gesture with the giant Brain thing if it wasn't for all the notes around in saying "Oh, Contact!" and "Contact is effective".
This is why I love this game.

So keen to do a skill/Bloodtinge build. There are so many weapons and firearms I want to use but can't (Including the Chikage!) because of my pitiful Bloodtinge stat. LHB and the BoM are doing me really well though, that said.

Just found a Blood Rock so I can get to +10 finally! Now the big question is LHB or BoM? :/ The former seems to be useful in a wider range of situations, Blades of Mercy kinda fall flat if it's an enemy you can't stun lock.
Just letting you know now that BoM are really good to use in the Ailing and Lower Ailing Loran chalice dungeons. I used them at +9 though so you don't need to +10 it. Yeah even I stopped using the BoM at the point you're at for the most part in my first run. They're good either way, but it's a very situational weapon in my opinion.

ramyeon

Just letting you know now that BoM are really good to use in the Ailing and Lower Ailing Loran chalice dungeons. I used them at +9 though so you don't need to +10 it. Yeah even I stopped using the BoM at the point you're at for the most part in my first run. They're good either way, but it's a very situational weapon in my opinion.
Yeah I love them, have them at +9 too but LHB just comes way more in handy especially for boss fights I find. Speaking of which is Mergo's Wet Nurse supposed to be so easy?! I was expecting a really intense fight because the design is one of the best yet, so menacing. But it went down so easily on my first try.

Yeah I love them, have them at +9 too but LHB just comes way more in handy especially for boss fights I find. Speaking of which is Mergo's Wet Nurse supposed to be so easy?! I was expecting a really intense fight because the design is one of the best yet, so menacing. But it went down so easily on my first try.
It's not hard, just has a lot of health.

ramyeon

It's not hard, just has a lot of health.
Yeah it did have quite a bit of health, attacks were really easy to avoid and it left heaps of openings strangely enough. Most dangerous part was when the whole arena went dark and it start multiplying and teleporting, but even then I could just avoid any damage by running around the outer rim in a circle.

Definitely one of the best enemy designs yet though, so cool.

Yeah it did have quite a bit of health, attacks were really easy to avoid and it left heaps of openings strangely enough. Most dangerous part was when the whole arena went dark and it start multiplying and teleporting, but even then I could just avoid any damage by running around the outer rim in a circle.

Definitely one of the best enemy designs yet though, so cool.
Yeah it is a nicely designed enemy. Not as crazy as Ebrietas though since I think that one best describes the "what the fuck is that thing?!" the enemy design embodies for the last half of the game.

ramyeon

Yeah it is a nicely designed enemy. Not as crazy as Ebrietas though since I think that one best describes the "what the fuck is that thing?!" the enemy design embodies for the last half of the game.
Ebrietas was so Lovecraft, it was amazing. I loved being able to go up and look at it close up before starting the fight.

Cross posting from the Souls newbies thread, ending thoughts.

Okay, done. Ended up looking up how to ensure the true ending
I'm glad I had all the cords. Gehrman hit like a truck. He got me the first time in his second form but the second time I had party times down pat and he wasn't too hard, finished the fight with about 11 vials left. Moon Presence was... Remarkably easy. I wonder why it was so easy? Took it down on the first fight without much trouble at all. Ending was... Short and a lot of wtf. I'm going to need time to process being turned into an alien slug I think.

Finished at around level 83 I think, not bad. Best gaming experience I've had in a long, long time. And I can't wait to start it all over again.

Ebrietas was so Lovecraft, it was amazing. I loved being able to go up and look at it close up before starting the fight.

Cross posting from the Souls newbies thread, ending thoughts.

Okay, done. Ended up looking up how to ensure the true ending
I'm glad I had all the cords. Gehrman hit like a truck. He got me the first time in his second form but the second time I had party times down pat and he wasn't too hard, finished the fight with about 11 vials left. Moon Presence was... Remarkably easy. I wonder why it was so easy? Took it down on the first fight without much trouble at all. Ending was... Short and a lot of wtf. I'm going to need time to process being turned into an alien slug I think.

Finished at around level 83 I think, not bad. Best gaming experience I've had in a long, long time. And I can't wait to start it all over again.
Go Skill/Bloodtinge for your second character. The cane is a good starting weapon and plays differently than the axe or whatever you used first. It takes a bit to get the Chikage, but getting the Reiterpallasch doesn't take forever if you run through Cainhurst before you finish the woods. Beating Logarius is a bitch too early in, but by the time you do it you should still have plenty of game left to experiment and level up the Chikage. In it's skill form it hits hard and transformed is really good too if you have a good Bloodtinge level. It's actually becoming one of my favorite weapons, just don't stay in the transformed mode for too long since it drains your health. Ebrietas had a crazy design, I honestly wish the game had more grotesque bosses at the level of Ebrietas.

ramyeon

Go Skill/Bloodtinge for your second character. The cane is a good starting weapon and plays differently than the axe or whatever you used first. It takes a bit to get the Chikage, but getting the Reiterpallasch doesn't take forever if you run through Cainhurst before you finish the woods. Beating Logarius is a bitch too early in, but by the time you do it you should still have plenty of game left to experiment and level up the Chikage. In it's skill form it hits hard and transformed is really good too if you have a good Bloodtinge level. It's actually becoming one of my favorite weapons, just don't stay in the transformed mode for too long since it drains your health. Ebrietas had a crazy design, I honestly wish the game had more grotesque bosses at the level of Ebrietas.
Definitely keen to start a Skill/Bloodtinge character, that Chikage was teasing me since I finished Cainhurst. Will be good to try out the Cane too since I never even touched it last time.

I'm kind of sad that I never got to try PVP first time around. Even in the Nightmare areas an invader never came for me

Final stats after a level up and play around in NG+:

Level 84, 24:21:25.

And I can't wait to do it all again :D

Definitely keen to start a Skill/Bloodtinge character, that Chikage was teasing me since I finished Cainhurst. Will be good to try out the Cane too since I never even touched it last time.

I'm kind of sad that I never got to try PVP first time around. Even in the Nightmare areas an invader never came for me

Final stats after a level up and play around in NG+:

Level 84, 24:21:25.

And I can't wait to do it all again :D
Yeah and this time you're not a noob so you can be a bit creative as well. I actually play with headphones on and it helps a lot. Sometimes you can hear a massive ambush in the chalice dungeons. One time I hurled a pungent blood cocktail and saw all the shit in there waiting for me. I just kept thinning out the ambush every time I threw one in, it was quite fun. My second character does way more damage with the Chikage than my first one could in the transformed mode. Sometimes it's just better to start a new character than to try to force your first character into using a weapon. Besides getting chunks in NG+ still takes damn forever.

Top Bottom