• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

I was wondering does the Ludwig's greatsword mode only scale with strength and the Longsword mode skill or is it both strength and Skill for both transformations?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Finally getting around to Nightmare of Mensis. It feels like every enemy here was designed to be as annoying as possible and they all hit like a truck.

Important tip for that place:

When in doubt just RUN past your enemies just run to unlock the shortcuts.

Roussow

Any tips for trying to play through the game co-op with a mate?

Been doing it on Scholar of the First Sin, really easy to find one-another and connect, Bloodborne has been giving us more trouble.

myco666

Any tips for trying to play through the game co-op with a mate?

Been doing it on Scholar of the First Sin, really easy to find one-another and connect, Bloodborne has been giving us more trouble.

Just use the same password. Should much easier than in Souls games.

Similar position. If I may ask, how did you approach the dungeons? What stats did you enter and any tips towards the plat?

Hey,
I did the dungeons in this order (I think, I'll check to be sure as I might have missed one):

Pthemeru
Pthemeru Central
Pthemeru Lower
Ailing Loran
Defiled (cursed where your health is halved)
Lower Loran
Great Isz
Great Pthumeru Ihyll

When I played through them, I cleared every room as I wanted/needed the various special materials that are found there. They are required for creating some of the later dungeons. Later on though with the tougher ones, I just wanted to get to the switch (to open the boss door), then clear the boss. I knew that I had all of the materials required so I just wanted the clear.

I actually skipped Lower Loran, since you can get Red Jelly from either that one, or Great Isz, so I decided to do the latter.

They start off VERY easy if you are coming to them at the end of the game. They don't scale with your level, so the early ones are like going back to the starting areas of the game. Later on though, they get very challenging with particularly tough boss fights. I finished the game at Lv 128, and I would say that Lv100+ is recommended when you get the Defiled ones.

What remaining Trophies do you have? You can go back and get most of them, with the exception of ones relating to guest lines from the NPCs in the game. That would lock you out of the Badge and Weapon trophies if you haven't got those.

I left it so I had everything except the 3rd ending to get after completing the dungeons, which was waiting for me once I finished the final challice.

Melchiah

I hate the douche bag beasts with the worms that pop out like they're confetti.

If you manage to kill them with parry + visceral combo, the snakes won't appear. And you can lure them out in the open, where they'll be killed by the frenzy effect.

Finally getting around to Nightmare of Mensis. It feels like every enemy here was designed to be as annoying as possible and they all hit like a truck.

It's hard but still one of my favorite areas in the game. The least favorite being the Nightmare Frontier. It wasn't that hard, but it wasn't that interesting either.

If you manage to kill them with parry + visceral combo, the snakes won't appear. And you can lure them out in the open, where they'll be killed by the frenzy effect.

It's hard but still one of my favorite areas in the game. The least favorite being the Nightmare Frontier. It wasn't that hard, but it wasn't that interesting either.
I'll have to try to remember that for my second character since after I deal with Upper Cathedral Ward I have to deal with Nightmare of Mensis. I honestly think Nightmare Frontier has the worst level design along with Yahargul.

Melchiah

I'll have to try to remember that for my second character since after I deal with Upper Cathedral Ward I have to deal with Nightmare of Mensis. I honestly think Nightmare Frontier has the worst level design along with Yahargul.

I died so many times in Nightmare of Mensis on my first playthrough, but managed to clear that and Yahar'gul without being killed even once on NG+, including the bosses. Felt good, man.

I personally like the gothic areas the most, like Mensis, Central and Old Yharnam, and Cathedral Ward. Yahar'gul is an exception, as I hate the Chime Maidens. From my point of view, it's a good thing they saved one of them for last, as it would have been a downer if the game ended with something like Nightmare Frontier.

I died so many times in Nightmare of Mensis on my first playthrough, but managed to clear that and Yahar'gul without being killed even once on NG+, including the bosses. Felt good, man.

I personally like the gothic areas the most, like Mensis, Central and Old Yharnam, and Cathedral Ward. Yahar'gul is an exception, as I hate the Chime Maidens. From my point of view, it's a good thing they saved one of them for last, as it would have been a downer if the game ended with something like Nightmare Frontier.
I honestly like Hypogean Gaol, Cainhurst, The Woods and Upper Cathedral Ward the most. The sense of dread and atmosphere in those atmospheres were great. The thing I hate about Yahargul the most are the chime maidens. Unless you memorize where they all are it's pain in the ass. Though most are out in the open except for the one that's around the area where you find the Upper Cathedral Ward key. Nightmare of Mensis is pretty fun too though. It's designed nicely as well with some freaked out looking dogs and birds all over the place, enemy design was a little boring though though I like the boss, it's different and Micolash's wailing and talking seems to mesh well with the music.

Melchiah

I honestly like Hypogean Gaol, Cainhurst, The Woods and Upper Cathedral Ward the most. The sense of dread and atmosphere in those atmospheres were great. The thing I hate about Yahargul the most are the chime maidens. Unless you memorize where they all are it's pain in the ass. Though most are out in the open except for the one that's around the area where you find the Upper Cathedral Ward key. Nightmare of Mensis is pretty fun too though. It's designed nicely as well with some freaked out looking dogs and birds all over the place, enemy design was a little boring though though I like the boss, it's different and Micolash's wailing and talking seems to mesh well with the music.

The Upper Cathedral Ward is good as well, albeit a bit short. When I mentioned Cathedral Ward, I included that into it as well. The Forbidden Woods and Cainhurst are pretty good, but not quite as good as the Ward and Yharnam areas are for me.

I love the design of Mensis. Due to the lifts you can get everywhere quickly, including the bosses. Unlike in the Woods and Cainhurst. Micolash is also one of my favorite boss fights.

The Upper Cathedral Ward is good as well, albeit a bit short. When I mentioned Cathedral Ward, I included that into it as well. The Forbidden Woods and Cainhurst are pretty good, but not quite as good as the Ward and Yharnam areas are for me.

I love the design of Mensis. Due to the lifts you can get everywhere quickly, including the bosses. Unlike in the Woods and Cainhurst. Micolash is also one of my favorite boss fights.
Yeah you make some good points on that one. The best thing about Yharnam, Central one is that a lot of the game leads right back to it until you start hitting the space crazy areas of the game, finding out that the woods leads into Central Yharnam was crazy. Upper Cathedral Ward is small, but it seems to be bigger than Byrgenwerth and has twice the atmosphere to me. I think of that part as like a smaller Spencer Mansion, especially with all the crazy werewolf ambushes. navigating that part the first time had me on edge. Amelia is definitely one of my favorites with seeing how these experiments are transforming people into insane creatures. Her and Ebrietas are probably my favorite ones. Micolash is cool in his own way though since he's one of the least physical bosses in the game, it's a cat and mouse boss fight with his environment and puppets doing most of the fighting for him. I died more times from the environment the first time than I did fighting him, but he was fun. He was pretty much the only boss that you can actually have a conversation with minus the last or second to last one depending on which ending you got.

I need some help here, I found Ariana in the sewers
after killing the boss and there is this thing next to her. I went back to the cathedral ward and saw a blood trail and tracked her that way.
Is that thing next to her her baby? o_O

What do I do now because I feel like i should do something since I got a weird effect when I got down there.

Rush_Khan

after killing the boss and there is this thing next to her. I went back to the cathedral ward and saw a blood trail and tracked her that way.

What do I do now because I feel like i should do something since I got a weird effect when I got down there.
Kill it.

Admodieus

Beat the game for the first time last night. I actually found
Mergo's Wet Nurse
to be a pretty easy fight, but had significant trouble against
Gehrman

So to start NG+ I have
Ludwig's +10 and Evelyn +4
and my stats are something like:

Vit - 27
End - 27
Str - 29
Skill - 29
Bloodtinge - 18
Arcane - 8

What's the best way to keep building if I want to keep using
Ludwig while also working on the Burial Blade?
Also I'll take any tips you may have for NG+

Beat the game for the first time last night. I actually found
Mergo's Wet Nurse
to be a pretty easy fight, but had significant trouble against
Gehrman

So to start NG+ I have
Ludwig's +10 and Evelyn +4
and my stats are something like:

Vit - 27
End - 27
Str - 29
Skill - 29
Bloodtinge - 18
Arcane - 8

What's the best way to keep building if I want to keep using
Ludwig while also working on the Burial Blade?
Also I'll take any tips you may have for NG+
Don't bother raising Arcane and pretend your new weapon is just Skill, focus on Skill as the offensive stat you build (because Ludwig scales with skill just as well as Strength making it viable in a skill build.)

Make sure you get 50 Vit somewhere down the road.

Melchiah

Yeah you make some good points on that one. The best thing about Yharnam, Central one is that a lot of the game leads right back to it until you start hitting the space crazy areas of the game, finding out that the woods leads into Central Yharnam was crazy. Upper Cathedral Ward is small, but it seems to be bigger than Byrgenwerth and has twice the atmosphere to me. I think of that part as like a smaller Spencer Mansion, especially with all the crazy werewolf ambushes. navigating that part the first time had me on edge. Amelia is definitely one of my favorites with seeing how these experiments are transforming people into insane creatures. Her and Ebrietas are probably my favorite ones. Micolash is cool in his own way though since he's one of the least physical bosses in the game, it's a cat and mouse boss fight with his environment and puppets doing most of the fighting for him. I died more times from the environment the first time than I did fighting him, but he was fun. He was pretty much the only boss that you can actually have a conversation with minus the last or second to last one depending on which ending you got.

Yeah, that route to the beginning was pretty surprising, as was the other route to Old Yharnam, although to a lesser extent. The atmosphere in the Upper Ward was great, but it was a bit "can't see shit, captain" for me. It's easy to lure the werewolves into the doorway on the second floor, and take care of them without risking your life. Apart from Micolash, I've grown to enjoy fighting BSB along the way, and the last boss in the chalices was a pretty good fight as well. The one I hate the most is definitely Rom, followed by Pthumerian Descendant.

Yeah, that route to the beginning was pretty surprising, as was the other route to Old Yharnam, although to a lesser extent. The atmosphere in the Upper Ward was great, but it was a bit "can't see shit, captain" for me. It's easy to lure the werewolves into the doorway on the second floor, and take care of them without risking your life. Apart from Micolash, I've grown to enjoy fighting BSB along the way, and the last boss in the chalices was a pretty good fight as well. The one I hate the most is definitely Rom, followed by Pthumerian Descendant.
Rom is fucking annoying but nowhere near as bad as Chalice Rom...Fuck.That.Thing. I specifically used the Choir set and Arcane rune specifically for that fight. Best part about Upper Cathedral Ward was smashing that window and finding out you're above the area where you fight Amelia. The level design and seeing how interconnected it is was one of the best parts of that game. Which chalice has the borderline impossible Pthumerian Descendant?

Melchiah

Rom is fucking annoying but nowhere near as bad as Chalice Rom...Fuck.That.Thing. I specifically used the Choir set and Arcane rune specifically for that fight. Best part about Upper Cathedral Ward was smashing that window and finding out you're above the area where you fight Amelia. The level design and seeing how interconnected it is was one of the best parts of that game. Which chalice has the borderline impossible Pthumerian Descendant?

o_O I never realized that.

I had to do the same against Rom on NG+. The chalice version is harder though.

The hardest PD is in Ihyll chalice. Tried to be him solo half a dozen times, before I switched to co-op. Even then it took two tries.

o_O I never realized that.

I had to do the same against Rom on NG+. The chalice version is harder though.

The hardest PD is in Ihyll chalice. Tried to be him solo half a dozen times, before I switched to co-op. Even then it took two tries.
Oh God, I have to do that strategy again...least it should still work it sounds like. Rom's problem is his minions and meteors and his health. God I hate that thing. What about the Pthumerian Elder? Last time I fought that thing he had a fucking spear made out of lava. Was that the last one?

2AdEPT

I tried to
kill
the
baby
and could not lock on so I accidently
killed
ariana
as well. oh well, got a nice new pair of gorgeous
shoes
to wear now in addition to the
cord
, which yes OP you want to get so do
kill
the
little beas
t!

Than why does it have a B rating in both stats? I used it on my skill character and still got some good damage out of it before I stopped using it.

Nope. B scaling in both Strength and Skill. You can easily treat it as a Skill weapon if you wanted.

Ludwind shines in its R2 and L2 attacks which uses STR,Ludwing R1 wastes so much stamina for a Skill players since thats the move Skill is affecting yet like you said it can be used as a skill variant with its R1's AOE and wipe several enemies at once but the Cane its more efective if you want to use R1 attacks.

Saying this, unstransformed Ludwing can be useful for Skill users for more close combat aka Chalices yet you are negating the true form of the weapon.

I use Ludwing and Cane with my Skill/Str playerSo its a win win for me.

I tried to
kill
the
baby
killed
ariana
shoes
cord
kill
the
little beas
t!
I'm actually pretty sure they both die at the same time regardless.
Ludwind shines in its R2 and L2 attacks which uses STR,Ludwing R1 wastes so much stamina for a Skill players since thats the move Skill is affecting yet like you said it can be used as a skill variant with its R1's AOE and wipe several enemies at once but the Cane its more efective if you want to use R1 attacks.

Saying this, unstransformed Ludwing can be useful for Skill users yet you are negating the true form of the weapon.

After using it more I'm starting to think that the proper skill equivalent of the LHB is the Burial Blade.

I tried to
kill
the
baby
killed
ariana
shoes
cord
kill
the
little beas
t!

She
dies
after you kill
the baby
I think

After using it more I'm starting to think that the proper skill equivalent of the LHB is the Burial Blade.

Yep, exactly. Burial blade its more Skill oriented yet you can use it Str in its transformed version since its R2 and L2 are more situational than R1

Saying this, unstransformed Ludwing can be useful for Skill users for more close combat aka Chalices yet you are negating the true form of the weapon.

Every attack runs B/B Strength/Skill, even the blunt two handed attacks.

2AdEPT

This
I killed it without touching her and she died with the baby

Ok good, after I screwed up thinking the Wheel questline was more important than the Vilebollod one when really I am a skill character AND forgetting to press save clip after Gherman winning fight after recording everything else in my initial playthrough, i am tired of screw ups. One more reminder that going in totally blind is not preferable to a hybrid of finding out what stuff to spoil and what stuff to remain blind on. I usually do a better job but this time I screwed up just about every NPC questline possible. At least I got the real ending waiting for me after I clean out the dungeons once and for all. May need to some coop help with the flaming watchdog though.

Melchiah

Oh God, I have to do that strategy again...least it should still work it sounds like. Rom's problem is his minions and meteors and his health. God I hate that thing. What about the Pthumerian Elder? Last time I fought that thing he had a fucking spear made out of lava. Was that the last one?

Apparently the Elder is only in Lower Hintertomb chalice, whereas the Descendant is in Central Pthumeru and Ihyll.

Apparently the Elder is only in Lower Hintertomb chalice, whereas the Descendant is in Central Pthumeru and Ihyll.
Thank god. I don't have to worry about that lava spear wielding bastard anymore on my first character. Hopefully he can't tank too many transformed Chikage attacks because my second character will eventually have to deal with him.

Shari

Every attack runs B/B Strength/Skill, even the blunt two handed attacks.

Who's telling the truth here? Can't be both.

People should start to put sources where their mouths are.

Who's telling the truth here? Can't be both.

People should start to put sources where their mouths are.

Just a quick test using Charged R2 attack, Bloodgems removed from the respective Ludwig's Holy Blades- this is a quick test just to get this post written so some things I couldn't deal with like one of the Ludwig's being +10

Code:
40 Str, 13 Skill character
+9 Ludwig's, 314 Attack
+124 to all three damage types (Attack, Thrust, Blunt)

Fully charged R2 deals 621 damage to the first enemy seen in Pthumeru Depth 3 Standard Chalice
Code:
30 Str, 50 Skill character
+10 Ludwig's
+227 to all three damage types (Attack, Thrust Blunt)

Fully charged R2 deals 845 damage to first enemy seen in Pthumeru Depth 3

The important number isn't the damage though, it's the bonus to the attack rating for the Attack, Thrust, and Blunt damage, which is the same for all three.

One handed form, unless I am very very wrong, does not change the weapons scaling, but simply adds a .7 multiplier to make it strictly worse than other one handed weapons.

Yay, lost 60k blood echoes on a glitch death. This game is infuriating sometimes.

By the time you get to chalices, blood echoes won't mean that much. I lost 100k blood echoes many times but never freaked out over it. I had more blood echoes than I knew what to do with, I filled my storage for blood vials, bullets, and molotovs.

Like Kitten said, Ludwing beneficts from both stats (Str and Skill).

Havent tested the R2 and L2 in a low skill char

A 40 Strength character and a 40 skill character should do roughly the same damage with Ludwig's regardless of what button you press- the scaling applies to every type of damage that the weapon has.

A 40 Strength character and a 40 skill character should do roughly the same damage with Ludwig's regardless of what button you press- the scaling applies to every type of damage that the weapon has.

Have you tested it with the same stats in both stats? because I do in a 33 Str and 35 Skill (arcane 20).

R2 and L2 deals more damage than R1.

R1 240

R2 380

L2 350

Charged L2 674

Untransformed

R1 136

R2 252

Explaining more, Skill adds damage in R1 and L2 attacks but adds more value to R1, Str adds value for both attacks yet adds more value to R2, taking in mind Ludwing have a scaling of B in both Stats its more recommended to invest in Str since that the stats that adds more value to heavy attacks (by two points more than Skill) if you are more into Heavy attacks gameplay and fully get used of the weapon main attacks, yet if you max out one of the stats and investing in Skill at the same time you wont notice the damage since its scaling its the same.

You made me turn on my PS4 kittens, bad kitten

Have you tested it with the same stats in both stats? because I do in a 33 Str and 35 Skill (arcane 20).

R2 and L2 deals more damage than R1.

R1 240

R2 380

L2 350

Charged L2 674

Untransformed

R1 136

R2 252
I think you might be confusing attack multipliers with stat scaling (also, Ludwig's by default has no arcane stat so your 20 Arcane will do nothing). L2 has a 1.15x multiplier and R2 has a 1.25x multiplier (2.20x Thrust/1.56xBlunt) which is why you are seeing those attacks do more damage than R1 which just has 1x multiplier.

I've been out of the game for a while. How do I get behind the
old yharnam hunter
again?

Run like hell, avoid all enemies and go his tower, there is a ladder after going down some stairs., just go up and fight him.

I think they mean the way to befriend him? In which case you have to beat Darkbeast Paarl in the Unseen Village and then enter Old Yharnam through the back entrance without Djura seeing you.

Maybe? Then you are right if he wants to befriends him. Just use the shortcut to reach the ladder and not alert him.

Also answer to not damage the beasts in Old Yharman and exhaust his dialogue to get the gesture too

ramyeon

Run like hell, avoid all enemies and go his tower, there is a ladder after going down some stairs., just go up and fight him
I think they mean the way to befriend him? In which case you have to beat Darkbeast Paarl in the Unseen Village and then enter Old Yharnam through the back entrance without Djura seeing you.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Run like hell, avoid all enemies and go his tower, there is a ladder after going down some stairs., just go up and fight him.

Maybe? Then you are right if he wants to befriends him. Just use the shortcut to reach the ladder and not alert him.

Also answer to not damage the beasts in Old Yharman and exhaust his dialogue to get the gesture too

You still have to eventually kill him for his armor set which you will definitely need at a later stage of the game.

I should have been a bit more clear. I meant how do i get to him without aggroing him to get his set.

ramyeon

I should have been a bit more clear. I meant how do i get to him without aggroing him to get his set/

You need to kill him for his set anyway. Befriending him only gets you the badge to buy the weapons and items.

Ah yeah forgot about that. I befriended him then stabbed him in the back. No regrets.
I was merciful and left him and his beast friends alive for a bit, then I just eventually returned and pretty much killed everything there that walked including him to get his armor.

Top Bottom