• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

ramyeon

There's only one mandatory area that contains Bell Maidens by default, which is absolutely ridiculous. Also, I think the "Play Offline" option is far too enticing for players who dislike the invasion mechanics. People who have had a rough time with invaders in previous Souls games would see that and probably not even think twice about going online.
There's two areas isn't there? Nightmare Frontier and Nightmare of Mensis (The latter of which has two bell maidens).

Edit: Oops, missed the mandatory part.

There's only one mandatory area that contains Bell Maidens by default, which is absolutely ridiculous. Also, I think the "Play Offline" option is far too enticing for players who dislike the invasion mechanics. People who have had a rough time with invaders in previous Souls games would see that and probably not even think twice about going online.

To be fair I think they added that because they figured out that people were simply leaving their network connection turned off to avoid invasions.

ramyeon

I'm glad the Play Offline option exists simply for times when my internet is acting up (Since the game kicks you out right away if the connection drops out in online mode). But playing offline just doesn't feel the same without all the notes and specters lying around.

I still don't know how I would have figured out the Mother Brain rune trick if I had been playing offline.

The only time I'm ever really inticed to use the offline mode(haven't yet, but thought about it) is the CD's. Only because there's no added benefit of notes or bloodstains and the phantoms in some of the smaller quarters can be scary as fuck if you think it's a glimpse of an enemy.

The only time I'm ever really inticed to use the offline mode(haven't yet, but thought about it) is the CD's. Only because there's no added benefit of notes or bloodstains and the phantoms in some of the smaller quarters can be scary as fuck if you think it's a glimpse of an enemy.

You'll most likely need help and have a better experience cooping the higher level dungeons. I've been one shotted by a few hunters at depth 5 all FRC dungeons so it helps to have a buddy around

Melchiah

Just beat Logarius and Alfred on NG+. The former took me three tries, and is definitely one of the most intense battles in the main game. I had to get those extra five bullets before the battle, as I depleted the supply on the second try. The first try ended abruptly, when I fell to an embarassing death.

I wanted to confront Alfred this time, but the dialogue was more interesting than the fight itself. It was "oh shit" moment, when I learned he heals himself, and I didn't have Numbing Mist equipped. Luckily, he only did it once.

Video captures of both:
Logarius - https://youtu.be/XpMRJ48fvR0
Alfred - https://youtu.be/rm_Wkw6OzJ4
Dialogue spoilers in the latter.

Timeaisis

I wonder how the DLC is going to handle where it puts its content? Since Bloodborne
forces you to start the game over after finishing it
, do you think you'll have to beat the game over again or get to a certain point in the story for the DLC to activate? I never played any of the DS DLC so I'm not sure how it was handled there.

ramyeon

I wonder how the DLC is going to handle where it puts its content? Since Bloodborne
, do you think you'll have to beat the game over again or get to a certain point in the story for the DLC to activate? I never played any of the DS DLC so I'm not sure how it was handled there.
This is something I've been curious about as well. They've been referring to it as an expansion right? Perhaps it'll be separate and you just import your character into it as long as they're above a certain level? Likewise I'm not sure how it was handled in DS and DS2.

I've had this exact thought and I haven't beaten the game on NG+ in case this happens. I don't really want to create a new character since I like the one I have now.

Melchiah

That's why I have two save files prepared, set right before the end. Other at level 100, another at 195.

myco666

Well Dark Souls 1 and 2 had certain points where you could access to the DLC. You could access to DS1 DLC around the halfway through the game and in DS2 you could access DLCs before halfway through the game. So I would assume it would be about the same here.

This is something I've been curious about as well. They've been referring to it as an expansion right? Perhaps it'll be separate and you just import your character into it as long as they're above a certain level? Likewise I'm not sure how it was handled in DS and DS2.

I really doubt that it would be separate from the main game. Probably you will get access to it after certain point (most likely after
Rom since the world doesn't change after that
).

Well Dark Souls 1 and 2 had certain points where you could access to the DLC. You could access to DS1 DLC around the halfway through the game and in DS2 you could access DLCs before halfway through the game. So I would assume it would be about the same here.

I really doubt that it would be separate from the main game. Probably you will get access to it after certain point (most likely after
Rom since the world doesn't change after that
).
I was thinking more like in Yahar'gul in the way we access the Nightmare of Mensis.

Is the cannon pretty much useless in PvE outside of boss fights? With the amount of bullets it eats up I can't imagine it being too effective

myco666

I was thinking more like in Yahar'gul in the way we access the Nightmare of Mensis.

Something like that probably.

Is the cannon pretty much useless in PvE outside of boss fights? With the amount of bullets it eats up I can't imagine it being too effective

It is rather useless against regular enemies eventhough you can get few enemies with a single shot but even then you can get 3 or 4 shots out of it depeding on your runes. Much better weapon against bosses and maybe against some CD enemies in the lower Chalices.

Finally got started on the Defiled dungeon, it's a bit different. I had to remake Lower Pthumeru so I could get to the second layer so I could grab the Arcane Haze Extractor and just used some older chalice material to make the arcane haze. I hate the witches that hurl fire at you, still made it to the Keeper of the Old Lords and pretty much tore through him.
Keeper of the Old Lords

Pretty much yes, you can use it three or four times before it depletes

Finally got started on the Defiled dungeon, it's a bit different. I had to remake Lower Pthumeru so I could get to the second layer so I could grab the Arcane Haze Extractor and just used some older chalice material to make the arcane haze. I hate the witches that hurl fire at you, still made it to the Keeper of the Old Lords and pretty much tore through him.
Keeper of the Old Lords

You can go to central phumery layer 2 and farm the centipedes from arcane hazes

Melchiah

Keeper of the Old Lords

I see you tried to corner-fuck her as well. It's a good strategy. ;)

Just cleared Rotted Ihyll Root chalice. Unfortunately, I didn't get the Ring of Betrothal from there.

Boss fights:
Undead Giant
Keeper of the Old Lords
Bloodletting Beast

I had been stuck with the first boss for quite a while, but finally managed to beat him by using Evelyn and Bone Marrow Ash in the second stage, where he used to bound me hard. Thanks JadedWriter for suggesting the method. Keeper was very easy after the Defiled version. I beat her and BLB on the first try, but the latter nearly became the death of me.

Endgame spoilers:

I was wondering in regards to the last two fights against Gerhmann and the moon is it possible after defeating them to coop in someone elses game? My brother and I have played it coop the whole way through so it would suck if these last bosses made it so we couldn't help eachother out.

sounds good, i still need to finish my game with an alt to get the plat anyway

Hey! I think you need to open up the dungeon since the game can't find a dungeon with the given glyph

Endgame spoilers:

I was wondering in regards to the last two fights against Gerhmann and the moon is it possible after defeating them to coop in someone elses game? My brother and I have played it coop the whole way through so it would suck if these last bosses made it so we couldn't help eachother out.

edit: read the question wrong.

After you defeat the final bosses you'll be immediately put in ng+ it's possible to coop with someone in ng even if you're in ng+

I see you tried to corner-fuck her as well. It's a good strategy. ;)

Just cleared Rotted Ihyll Root chalice. Unfortunately, I didn't get the Ring of Betrothal from there.

Boss fights:
Undead Giant
Keeper of the Old Lords
Bloodletting Beast

I had been stuck with the first boss for quite a while, but finally managed to beat him by using Evelyn and Bone Marrow Ash in the second stage, where he used to bound me hard. Thanks JadedWriter for suggesting the method. Keeper was very easy after the Defiled version. I beat her and BLB on the first try, but the latter nearly became the death of me.
Glad I could help.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If your engaging in pvp, you should be fighting the person head on and not trying to get the enemies, which won't attack them, to do the work for them.
Using the terrain and environment to one's advantage is a smart tactic. Since invaders are at a disadvantage of 2v1 (sometimes 3v1) and lowered HP, I don't blame them for doing that. I don't generally do that 'cause I get impatient waiting for the players to catch up with me, but I don't begrudge invaders playing smart.

I only have a problem with invaders who are twinks, e.g. who stay at a low level but keep OP gear around that will 1 or 2hko hosts. They're abusing the system. But using the environment? Who cares, it's just another enemy added to the fray, makes things more exciting.

When it comes to co-op invasions, if I'm playing with a friend and the person isn't being a dick trying to use enemies, I'll have my friend back off and fight them 1 on 1 fairly. Even though they annoy the shit out of me by invading, I'll still try to be fair about it whenever possible. When playing with a random person, I can't really guarantee that since I can't communicate with them. And if their doing the enemy bullshit, all bets are off and I'll tag-team them with ruthless fury. Regardless though, the person is willingly invading someone elses game (who might not want them there), so they should expect to be gang raped by 2 or 3 people from the start, so I feel no pity there.
*shrugs* Gank them at any time if they annoy you so much. Invaders expect it and it's fair game.

Simply put, I just want to play my game with others and not deal with fighting other players. I know I'm not the only one out there that feels this way.
Well, there are plenty of players out there who would prefer this game got compromised by adding more checkpoints or having difficulty modes, but I for one am indeed glad that From won't budge on this. Although they kind of did in Bloodborne by blocking invasions unless the host uses coop in all but two levels. Sigh. :(

Hey! I think you need to open up the dungeon since the game can't find a dungeon with the given glyph

After you defeat the final bosses you'll be immediately put in ng+ it's possible to coop with someone in ng even if you're in ng+
Ugh I'm new to this sorry, I'll do it in 2 minutes.

Edit: done

myco666

You can't help against the last bosses though unless you have
activated the fight with Gehrman

Just beat the Defiled Watchdog on my first try, didn't expect it to happen, but it did. I've fought the vanilla version a few times, but I was shocked at how well I did, it's a patience battle and doing it with the cane makes it easier because you can attack his face from a safe distance.
Defiled Watchdog

myco666

There is no way for me to have my brother help me in my game I guess when we do his. Pretty stupid really that we can do all bosses but one in my game.

You could import your save file to external harddrive/ usb stick and after you beat the boss just load it and help the other one.

Just beat the Defiled Watchdog on my first try, didn't expect it to happen, but it did. I've fought the vanilla version a few times, but I was shocked at how well I did, it's a patience battle and doing it with the cane makes it easier because you can attack his face from a safe distance.
Defiled Watchdog

Nice! The fight is just about patience like all other bosses in Defiled Chalice but yeah. Good job. Took me bunch of tries to get the moves down and I had to get really close since I used LHB. Cane seems to be super good for that fight.

You could import your save file to external harddrive/ usb stick and after you beat the boss just load it and help the other one.

Nice! The fight is just about patience like all other bosses in Defiled Chalice but yeah. Good job. Took me bunch of tries to get the moves down and I had to get really close since I used LHB. Cane seems to be super good for that fight.
I've only ever used the cane on the flamehound, it's a great weapon for it. You're not really trying to combo it so speed isn't a problem and when it's doing the vomit thing just switch it to cane form for some quick strikes. It was a fun but tense battle.

myco666

I've only ever used the cane on the flamehound, it's a great weapon for it. You're not really trying to combo it so speed isn't a problem and when it's doing the vomit thing just switch it to cane form for some quick strikes. It was a fun but tense battle.

I really love that fight. One of my favorites in the game.

ryan13ts

Which weapon do you guys think I should upgrade to the max, Ludwig or Burial Blade? I adore Ludwig for the amount of damage it does, and it's pretty much replaced the cane as my go-to weapon for the sheer amount of damage it does. Although I'm now considering Burial for the good amount of damage and insane range/crowd control potential it has.

I still can't believe the lack of materials in this game to max out a weapon, especially coming from DS's. You can only really max out 2 weapons on a single playthrough (and that's going the extra mile for another rock), which is nuts to me.

Defiled Watchdog

patience is key for that fight

Which weapon do you guys think I should upgrade to the max, Ludwig or Burial Blade? I adore Ludwig for the amount of damage it does, and it's pretty much replaced the cane as my go-to weapon for the sheer amount of damage it does. Although I'm now considering Burial for the good amount of damage and insane range/crowd control potential it has.

I still can't believe the lack of materials in this game to max out a weapon, especially coming from DS's. You can only really max out 2 weapons on a single playthrough (and that's going the extra mile for another rock), which is nuts to me.

You can get three rocks guaranteed from the dungeons. Upgrade ludwig, its very versatile

myco666

Well there is only 26 weapons in the game where as DS has around 100 weapons and bunch of armor to upgrade and you get 3 slabs in the game. It has always been very minimal what you can max from the equipment avaible.

As for the LHB vs Burial Blade I would go with Burial Blade since it is more interesting weapon. Also if you have more skill oriented build Burial Blade is better than LHB.

Nice! The fight is just about patience like all other bosses in Defiled Chalice but yeah. Good job. Took me bunch of tries to get the moves down and I had to get really close since I used LHB. Cane seems to be super good for that

Might have to try that then its not optimal but it'll do, cheers.

Does anyone have an explanation of how the dungeons work? I don't really understand which chalices do what. One type does random placements, the others don't? Idk, it's confusing me.

Also, does it matter which alter I place them on? Does that effect anything?

Osaka15

Banned
Can't wait for the Dlc and I hope it comes out this year. I really hope we can import character because I do not want my lvl 270 character to be obsolete after all my hard work.

So im about lvl 130 on my arcane build atm. I got 50 in arcane, vitality and endurance should i just stop lvling now?

You can still invest in Vit and Endurance, you hit the cap in Arcane so it would be useless to invest more points.

Can't wait for the Dlc and I hope it comes out this year. I really hope we can import character because I do not want my lvl 270 character to be obsolete after all my hard work.

The DLC would probably be lamp location to a new area, still I usually take my main and wait for the DLC before jumping to NG+ since the DLC scales according to the current difficulty in the vanilla game.

Femto.

Question:
Can I still complete Alfred's quest and enter the
Vileblood
covenant before defeating
Moon Presence
?

I'm playing my second character but I want to beat
Gehrman
to get the burial blade. Before fighting the optional bosses.

Top Bottom