• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Blood-Starved Beast, eh?

tumblr_m2z5so1zaO1rscle4o1_500.gif

Alright, I'm done for the day.

Just two more tries.

Welp. There goes both tries. I rushed it down and got it to 40% really fast using some Fire Paper I had before getting overzealous and ignoring its pattern or getting bodied by the poison.

Now I'm undecided whether I'm gonna farm for more antidotes and vials or be done altogether for the day.

Fuck this game
and my thirst for it

ramyeon

Welp. There goes both tries. I rushed it down and got it to 40% really fast using some Fire Paper I had before getting overzealous and ignoring its pattern or getting bodied by the poison.

Now I'm undecided whether I'm gonna farm for more antidotes and vials or be done altogether for the day.

Fuck this game
and my thirst for it
Are you parrying it? Most of its attacks are pretty easy to read and parry with your gun for a visceral (Or charged R2 with fire paper).

Fuck this game
and my thirst for it

The trick in that fight is not getting greddy against BLB, the battle is the same all the time except for last phase when his hits can cause rapid poison, still I used the fire papers in second phase and onwards, dont try to use fire papers in first phase because the boss is gonna charge like crazy.

squidyj

Wait. I have to fight that thing again? With less room!?

no, you don't. That was a Fetid Rotted Cursed Chalice Dungeon I was running. I was like "awww fuck this" when I got to the boss and saw there were all these pillars around, you can see in the video sometimes he gets turned around on the pillars.

Are you parrying it? Most of its attacks are pretty easy to read and parry with your gun for a visceral (Or charged R2 with fire paper).
I tried to parry but my timing is terrible. I've mostly ignored L2 and barely used parry up until this point in this game. Doesn't help all the wind ups for his attacks resemble each other.

The trick in that fight is not getting greddy against BLB, the battle is the same all the time except for last phase when his hits can cause rapid poision, still I used the fire papers in second phase and onwards, dont try to use fire papers in first phase because the boss is gonna charge like crazy.
Thanks, I'll try that. I only have two left but I have 8 or so molotovs I can chuck near the end if I can create some space.

no, you don't. That was a Fetid Rotted Cursed Chalice Dungeon I was running. I was like "awww fuck this" when I got to the boss and saw there were all these pillars around, you can see in the video sometimes he gets turned around on the pillars.
OH ok, that makes more sense. Still looks like something I would not want to deal with. I hope the gem you got out of it was useful cause sometimes they're not.

squidyj

OH ok, that makes more sense. Still looks like something I would not want to deal with. I hope the gem you got out of it was useful cause sometimes they're not.

pfft, kicking it's ass like a redheaded stepchild was worth it, the gem was just an added bonus :p
The gem is okay but not great :(
I would complete a depth 5 fetid rotted cursed boss rush challenge dungeon where all the regular enemies are replaced with pyramid-head cannon hunters for an abyssal single stat nourishing.

The thing about Amygdala has always been positioning, people position themselves out of fear of his long arms, especially in phase 3. You want to get as close as you can without getting hit because if you're too far out you can't get in and hit him properly. This is especially true in phase 3, once you learn how to dodge his swipes you can stand there all day and wait for him to do one of his slam attacks and just dash in on his head and be safe and just fucking murder him.
Then you gotta know that when he leaps he lands with his head behind you so you can just turn around and start beating him up when he lands. Amygdala isn't that hard, he's very learnable, I find it much harder to learn Watchdog.

pfft, kicking it's ass like a redheaded stepchild was worth it, the gem was just an added bonus :p
The gem is okay but not great :(
I would complete a depth 5 fetid rotted cursed boss rush challenge dungeon where all the regular enemies are replaced with pyramid-head cannon hunters for an abyssal single stat nourishing.

The thing about Amygdala has always been positioning, people position themselves out of fear of his long arms, especially in phase 3. You want to get as close as you can without getting hit because if you're too far out you can't get in and hit him properly. This is especially true in phase 3, once you learn how to dodge his swipes you can stand there all day and wait for him to do one of his slam attacks and just dash in on his head and be safe and just fucking murder him.
Then you gotta know that when he leaps he lands with his head behind you so you can just turn around and start beating him up when he lands. Amygdala isn't that hard, he's very learnable, I find it much harder to learn Watchdog.
Unless the Watchdog gets all random I don't have that much of a problem with him depending on my weapon though. I've always beaten it with the Cane, he might be a challenge with the Chikage though. Amygdala is a pain in the but for me, but you're right with the positioning. I'm always just far away, but too far away to capitalize on his head at times. Hopefully with my second character her higher Bloodtinge will help out during that fight and hopefully the Chikage pulls its weight because my god I had to get help on that one, felt a bit embarrassed, but it was a fun battle.

mulac

Gah!

Ailing Loran Abhorrant Beast (last layer) to get the Defiled Chalice on my Platinum journey.

Was using the poison knife/molotov strategy and it was working for around 7min...then when I saw his health whittle down to literally 2% ish I thought "IT WILL BE A GOOD IDEA TO JUMP AND IN AND FINISH HIM!"

Nope.

I darted in, he smashed the ground with what felt like a nuclear bomb and one-shotted me. YOU DIED.

So annoyed :(
Going to try again tonight and NOT feel plucky or full of myself and just let it take its course to beat him.

Next stop after this! Izs Chalices to blood echo farm and uplevel my health in prep for the Defiled Dungeons.

But still - i learnt the valuable lesson of even though you're doing well, NEVER let guard down and DONT act on that shot of confience...

ramyeon

Tried some PVP for the first time today. Won 1 out of 3, there was a lot of lag. Also feel like I should hold off on any more until I get some decent gems :/

Tried some PVP for the first time today. Won 1 out of 3, there was a lot of lag. Also feel like I should hold off on any more until I get some decent gems :/

Yea Gems are pretty essential in PVP seeing as how everyone else has them. People used to be against healing in fights but I say heal whenever you can because some gems can do ridiculous damage.

Heres a spreadsheet that shows some really popular dungeons for easy gem farming and getting the best runes. I havent used it in awhile so I dont know which ones are still active so just try different ones if some have been deleted from the server.

Gem/Rune Farming Guide

EDIT: Also what level is everyone finding their pvp at? I'd like to know if the meta has moved recently. I have all my characters @95 so I can catch lower level fighters while still being able to match up higher. I really want to make a Bloodtinge/Arcane hybrid build around 120 but am afraid of finding less matches.

ramyeon

Yea Gems are pretty essential in PVP seeing as how everyone else has them. People used to be against healing in fights but I say heal whenever you can because some gems can do ridiculous damage.

Heres a spreadsheet that shows some really popular dungeons for easy gem farming and getting the best runes. I havent used it in awhile so I dont know which ones are still active so just try different ones if some have been deleted from the server.

Gem/Rune Farming Guide

EDIT: Also what level is everyone finding their pvp at? I'd like to know if the meta has moved recently. I have all my characters @95 so I can catch lower level fighters while still being able to match up higher. I really want to make a Bloodtinge/Arcane hybrid build around 120 but am afraid of finding less matches.
That spreadsheet is great! Looks like I'm really going to have to just get stuck into the Chalice stuff, I've been putting it off so much since I'm not too fond of the level design in them.

I'm probably gonna try and go to 120 for PVP, are there any downsides to this? It seems to be the level that most people agree on.

That spreadsheet is great! Looks like I'm really going to have to just get stuck into the Chalice stuff, I've been putting it off so much since I'm not too fond of the level design in them.

I'm probably gonna try and go to 120 for PVP, are there any downsides to this? It seems to be the level that most people agree on.

Oh yeah trust me. I have about 5 different characters I had to go through chalices for to be able to get good gems. I cant stand them. But I love pvp enough to push through once more lol.

Well my thinking is going too high up greatly lessens the pool of people you can invade that are below your level. I think at level 95 you can invade anyone level 77 and up. Knowing this is good for determining what areas you want to invade. For instance I know people are usually around level 70 when they get to Yahargul/Mensis. So I invade those areas and get 2/3v1s alot which is fun for me.

Im worried if I go past 95 I wont be able to gauge what are the good areas to invade for my level and i'll be stuck with invading only the nightmares which can get a bit repetitive. Hopefully someone can shed some light on what level they can get good invasions at and not exclusively to the nightmare areas.

myco666

Gem/Rune Farming Guide

Bloodtinge/Arcane? Good luck with that haha. What kind a stat distribution and weapons are you going for?

Bloodtinge/Arcane? Good luck with that haha. What kind a stat distribution and weapons are you going for?

Vit-40, End-15, Str-16, Skill-14, Blood-40, Arcane-45. I think itll be a pretty fun build. Ive gotten really good at managing my stamina with only 15 end while using LHB so thats more than enough for me.

Strength and Skill at 16/14 lets me have a Ludwigs that I can make elemental and then still have high tinge for the transformed Chikage. I feel like itll be cool to be able to put out good damage with my gun while being able to use the Rosmarinus on the side and Arcane tools when I feel fancy.

myco666

Vit-40, End-15, Str-16, Skill-14, Blood-40, Arcane-45. I think itll be a pretty fun build. Ive gotten really good at managing my stamina with only 15 end while using LHB so thats more than enough for me.

Strength and Skill at 16/14 lets me have a Ludwigs that I can make elemental and then still have high tinge for the transformed Chikage. I feel like itll be cool to be able to put out good damage with my gun while being able to use the Rosmarinus on the side and Arcane tools when I feel fancy.

15 Endurance is super low. I recommend to also get Tonitrus since it is really good bolt weapon. That build might be fun but prepare to do so work to get high Arcane damage.

ramyeon

Just finished the first two non-procedural Chalice dungeons (Pthumeru and Central Pthumeru). A bit overlevelled for them I guess since they were fairly easy with almost everything going down in one or two hits. Some interesting boss designs but I'm overall pretty underwhelmed by the whole affair.

I get that they are supposed to be labyrinths but they're just so drab, boring and unfun to explore. Way too many repeated rooms even in the first two to the point that you end up getting confused because everything just looks the same. There'll be huge rooms with nothing in them besides one enemy sometimes and a lot of them are so dark you have to thoroughly look over every nook and cranny with your torch to make sure you haven't missed any doors or switches. And these aren't even the procedurally generated ones!

I'm going through them for the little bits of lore they provide and the gems but like I said it's all very underwhelming in comparison to the joy that traversing the main areas in the game provides.

lord_lad

Banned
That was pretty much how my fight went too, only I used the transformed Burial Blade so I had plenty of reach. When she rips her arms off you can just run underneath her and she'll jump, then if you stand still she won't land on you and you can get some free hits in and do it all over again for an easy win.

tried that but that's too risky in defiled....as there's an element of luck needed...

you'll be better off pump some point to your bloodtinge and use the gun with bone marrow ash on defiled amygdala during the final phase....

lord_lad

Banned
Just finished the first two non-procedural Chalice dungeons (Pthumeru and Central Pthumeru). A bit overlevelled for them I guess since they were fairly easy with almost everything going down in one or two hits. Some interesting boss designs but I'm overall pretty underwhelmed by the whole affair.

I get that they are supposed to be labyrinths but they're just so drab, boring and unfun to explore. Way too many repeated rooms even in the first two to the point that you end up getting confused because everything just looks the same. There'll be huge rooms with nothing in them besides one enemy sometimes and a lot of them are so dark you have to thoroughly look over every nook and cranny with your torch to make sure you haven't missed any doors or switches. And these aren't even the procedurally generated ones!

I'm going through them for the little bits of lore they provide and the gems but like I said it's all very underwhelming in comparison to the joy that traversing the main areas in the game provides.

yup...there aren't the best designed levels...that's for sure...however, don't knock off their difficulty yet...

depth 4 onwards, the difficulty spike can be high....i think i can say for all the BB players here that Defiled Pthumerian, Lower Loran & Pthumerian Ihyll have some of the hardest enemies and bosses in the entire game.......NG+ or not.

i am now mostly playing coop with randoms in chalice dungeon via the Makeshift chalice exclusively.....it's almost like a boss rush mode.

ramyeon

yup...there aren't the best designed levels...that's for sure...however, don't knock off their difficulty yet...

depth 4 onwards, the difficulty spike can be high....i think i can say for all the BB players here that Defiled Pthumerian, Lower Loran & Pthumerian Ihyll have some of the hardest enemies and bosses in the entire game.......NG+ or not.

i am now mostly playing coop with randoms in chalice dungeon via the Makeshift chalice exclusively.....it's almost like a boss rush mode.
Oh yeah, the later stuff looks really difficult. I've already had rooms full of mobs that rush you in the early ones so I can't imagine what those rooms would be like in the harder depths :/

lord_lad

Banned
Oh yeah, the later stuff looks really difficult. I've already had rooms full of mobs that rush you in the early ones so I can't imagine what those rooms would be like in the harder depths :/

Be careful of the naked fat dude with a mace that is rolling all over......he's the most difficult enemy in the whole game (NG+ or not)........bar none...

and some of the mere mentions of these bosses sent shivers down the spine of many BB veterans

Defiled Watchdog of the Old Lords
Defiled Amygdala
Pthumerian Descendant
Loran Darkbeast
Headless Bloodletting Beast

I managed to solo all of them but i wouldn't want to fight the Pthumerian Descendant again.....LOL...same for Loran Darkbeast...once is enough.

Good luck!

ramyeon

Be careful of the naked fat dude with a mace that is rolling all over......he's the most difficult enemy in the whole game (NG+ or not)........bar none...

and some of the mere mentions of these bosses sent shivers down the spine of many BB veterans

Defiled Watchdog of the Old Lords
Defiled Amygdala
Pthumerian Descendant
Loran Darkbeast
Headless Bloodletting Beast

I managed to solo all of them but i wouldn't want to fight the Pthumerian Descendant again.....LOL...same for Loran Darkbeast...once is enough.

Good luck!
Haha already ran into the guy once and he was ridiculous even in a low level dungeon, I imagine I'll have a lot of fun with him in the harder ones. Looking forward to getting my arse handed to me by this game again soon lol.

Yeah, fuck that guy and his buttstomp.
That fucking asshole can one shot you in the defiled dungeon, fuck this dude. Is he even guarding anything important in defiled layer 3? You can't poison knife the guy, I'd probably have to upgrade my pistol a lot to get good damage on him without being too close.

Melchiah

That fucking asshole can one shot you in the defiled dungeon, fuck this dude. Is he even guarding anything important in defiled layer 3? You can't poison knife the guy, I'd probably have to upgrade my pistol a lot to get good damage on him without being too close.

He killed me once three times in a row, in Ihyll I think. I actually returned there after beating all the bosses, and just used Evelyn and Bone Marrow Ash from a safe distance. The chest he was guarding had nothing special, so all the efforts had no purpose or reward.

Melchiah

I got butt stomped a few times >_< It's like sudden death, you never see it coming. Now, I make it a point to kill these guys with Ludwig's face meet gravel charged R2 combo

I still haven't found a good way to beat him and counter his attacks. Definitely the most intimidating enemy to me.

I still haven't found a good way to beat him and counter his attacks. Definitely the most intimidating enemy to me.
They're a pain in the ass cause I can't get the parry timing right at all for them. I tried to parry one and I swear my bullet went right through him and he smashed me with his mace, put on some fucking pants mace dude, god damn it. I think I just blue elixired through half the stage to get back to my echoes and just used a bold hunters mark to return to the chalice, I think I almost lost over 200,000 fuck losing that man.

Melchiah

They're a pain in the ass cause I can't get the parry timing right at all for them. I tried to parry one and I swear my bullet went right through him and he smashed me with his mace, put on some fucking pants mace dude, god damn it. I think I just blue elixired through half the stage to get back to my echoes and just used a bold hunters mark to return to the chalice, I think I almost lost over 200,000 fuck losing that man.

Yeah, I've never been able to parry him, and stopped even trying because I always end up getting smacked hard. The first time I encountered him was really a WTF moment, as all the other Watchers move much more slower.

Yeah, I've never been able to parry him, and stopped even trying because I always end up getting smacked hard. The first time I encountered him was really a WTF moment, as all the other Watchers move much more slower.
Yeah I really do prefer the Merciless Watchers over fat sonic. I enjoy the 3 on 1 fights with those, but I hate the the butt stomp guy, just seeing him in Defiled Chalice made me want to find any other way to kill him over actually fighting him head one.

lord_lad

Banned

The problem is these fat naked dude's movement are unpredictable... The direction of where the roll to and the distance covered per roll is hard to gauge...not too mentioned their fat butt stomp hit hard...no matter what level you are....1 or 2 butt stomp is all it take to KO a hunter...

I tried to use old hunters bone to try to 'outmanouvre' them but still no go ...lol

Tried E
breitis
all weekedn and at best got her down to about quarter health. Ended up giving in and trying to get help in beating her and still never got her down. That second phase is a bitch.

So what should I be levelling up next? Does it really matter at this point? I am using the Holy Blade and also now the
Burial Blade

Go for 50 vit 45 str and skill. Then get the best gems and be a boss at PvP

Tried E
breitis
all weekedn and at best got her down to about quarter health. Ended up giving in and trying to get help in beating her and still never got her down. That second phase is a bitch.

I can offer assistance

Use the enviroment, there are some threes and rocks he can get stuck, still his recovery frames are insane you had to stagger him with heavy melee like the ludwing or go long range and kite him to those obstacles to have a chance.

Rolli polli olli is very annoying to fight. Depth 5 encounters means certain death if he manages to hit you coming off his roll. I usually move around and r2 charge him to death. I've died a few times to him though.

Top Bottom