• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

I think I'm gonna level up a few levels, takes to much time to complete a layer in cursed chalices. 90-95 should be fine for PvP still.

So what should I be levelling up next? Does it really matter at this point? I am using the Holy Blade and also now the
Burial Blade

If you want to max the damage of the holy blade keep leveling STR and SKL, and unless you don't want to do PvP you should stop at around lvl 120 or so. Otherwise max STR, SKL and VIT and for Kos, stop leveling Endurance! lol

Melchiah

Lo and behold! I ran into the naked guy in the Defiled chalice after finally beating Watchdog. I planned to R2 charge his backside with Ludwig, but never got the chance to do so. He whupped my ass real good, taking 228k echoes in the process. =/ I'll try to retrieve them, but my hopes of success aren't very high.

Here's a video of the Watchdog fight, which went surprisingly well. He only charged at me three times, and I put the dog on its knees thrice as well.

Lo and behold! I ran into the naked guy in the Defiled chalice after finally beating Watchdog. I planned to R2 charge his backside with Ludwig, but never got the chance to do so. He whupped my ass real good, taking 228k echoes in the process. =/ I'll try to retrieve them, but my hopes of success aren't very high.

Here's a video of the Watchdog fight, which went surprisingly well. He only charged at me three times, and I put the dog on its knees thrice as well.
I love how you got a bloodstone chunk and I got fuck all, lol, damn RNG...
Only madmen enter the Hintertombs.
Which I guess makes me crazy as hell. I've beaten both of those. I love cheesing the cannon undead giants in the poison, though I think in Lower Hintertomb I had to fight one of the two in there in that poison swamp, loot in that area was useless though.

Only madmen enter the Hintertombs.

Which I guess makes me crazy as hell. I've beaten both of those. I love cheesing the cannon undead giants in the poison, though I think in Lower Hintertomb I had to fight one of the two in there in that poison swamp, loot in that area was useless though.
When I saw 3 Undead Giants in a pool of poison surrounded by enemies, it was time for me to take my leave.

When I saw 3 Undead Giants in a pool of poison surrounded by enemies, it was time for me to take my leave.
I thought it was only two of them. Usually when I'm on the balcony I bait one to walk in it and get poisoned and just keep darting back and forth into a room till it fucking just drops from the poison. It usually works for me and I fought the other one pretty carefully on the non poisoned land. I usually just equip the poison rune and use one of the church sets. Unless you're doing one of the random versions on Lower Hintertomb of course, which I've never tried to do if I'm remembering right.

I love how you got a bloodstone chunk and I got fuck all, lol, damn RNG...

I was actually making a pun about the Forgotten Madman boss, heh. I also did the Hintertombs before the Shortroot was purchase-able.

I'm gonna be on tonight starting at 8pm EST for about three hours, and I'll be doing co-op for whomever needs it (or PvP if you're feeling froggy). I'd consider myself a very skilled player. I have a 120 skill and a 120 STR build. Send me a PM if you're looking for a little help anywhere.

Heh, I got two of them from the Keeper in Rotted Ihyll Root. I had used both Fetid and Rotten offerings when making the chalice, as they increase the odds of getting better loot. I didn't get the Ring of Betrothal from there though. =/
I managed to get 2 from the Isz Brainsucker which was such an easy boss battle:
Isz Brainsucker
I was actually making a pun about the Forgotten Madman boss, heh. I also did the Hintertombs before the Shortroot was purchase-able.
I actually don't mind going through them that much, minus the poison swamps they're fairly doable dungeons.

Yeah, definitely one of the easiest boss battles in the game; avoid the beams, and spam the R1 with Fire/Bolt Paper equipped.
Only thing is I now have to deal with an amped up Celestial Emissary next...hope it ain't too hard. I wonder if I should try to do a fetid/rotten Lower Pthumeru dungeon.

I thought it was only two of them. Usually when I'm on the balcony I bait one to walk in it and get poisoned and just keep darting back and forth into a room till it fucking just drops from the poison. It usually works for me and I fought the other one pretty carefully on the non poisoned land. I usually just equip the poison rune and use one of the church sets. Unless you're doing one of the random versions on Lower Hintertomb of course, which I've never tried to do if I'm remembering right.
Root chalice version. Though I am higher leveled now so I should check it out again.

Melchiah

Only thing is I now have to deal with an amped up Celestial Emissary next...hope it ain't too hard. I wonder if I should try to do a fetid/rotten Lower Pthumeru dungeon.

I've got some fairly good gems for my secondary weapons from Isz and Ihyll root chalices, but nothing better than the 18-19.5% gems I have on the Cane. I haven't tried the root versions of the earlier chalices though.

I've got some fairly good gems for my secondary weapons from Isz and Ihyll root chalices, but nothing better than the 18-19.5% gems I have on the Cane. I haven't tried the root versions of the earlier chalices though.
Since I'm more confident with my skills I should do some of the root versions on my second character. I think my first character would skate through a good amount of those as well at least until I do a root Ailing Dungeon...yikes.

mulac

Well, I destroyed the Abhorrant Beast last night finally - epic fight; didnt cheese with the poison knifes (just threw maybe 1 at him total). Really really fun.

After that I decided to wander into the Izs Chalice for a bit and found it stupidly easy-beat Celestial Emissary and got to Level 3 which, according to the wiki (screw it, i'm following it now to get the plat) - is the BEST place to farm echoes so going to get into that tonight.

I thought the route to the Platinum had me going down to Lower Loran/Defiled/Ihyll?

Regardless I need to farm Ritual Blood(5)'s now as I dont have nearly enough so some exploring to do!

Oh and no way am I going for Chalice Eribitus at this point...maybe once i have the platinum.

Whats the next best route?

Also, I'm sitting with Vitality Health at level 52 - is it worth levelling up to 60 (Endurance is at 44), Skill at 50 and Strength at 43 at the moment - in prep for the Defiled Chalice run I know I have to do...

Well, I destroyed the Abhorrant Beast last night finally - epic fight; didnt cheese with the poison knifes (just threw maybe 1 at him total). Really really fun.

After that I decided to wander into the Izs Chalice for a bit and found it stupidly easy-beat Celestial Emissary and got to Level 3 which, according to the wiki (screw it, i'm following it now to get the plat) - is the BEST place to farm echoes so going to get into that tonight.

I thought the route to the Platinum had me going down to Lower Loran/Defiled/Ihyll?

Regardless I need to farm Ritual Blood(5)'s now as I dont have nearly enough so some exploring to do!

Oh and no way am I going for Chalice Eribitus at this point...maybe once i have the platinum.

Also, I'm sitting with Vitality Health at level 52 - is it worth levelling up to 60 (Endurance is at 44), Skill at 50 and Strength at 43 at the moment - in prep for the Defiled Chalice run I know I have to do...

You don't get any significant HP boosts when leveling Vit past 50, but I suppose a little extra health never hurts. You get no stamina boosts at all when leveling endurance past 40, so don't level endurance anymore.

mulac

You don't get any significant HP boosts when leveling Vit past 50, but I suppose a little extra health never hurts. You get no stamina boosts at all when leveling endurance past 40, so don't level endurance anymore.

Cool ok, so push Stregth + Skill then.

I've got Bloodtinge sitting at 22 because I wanted to use the Chikage but a lack of blood rocks to get to +9 stopped me.

What about the chalice route - my only priority right now is to get the platinum...so close! This is the last trophy i need

Up that Str to 50

I'm gonna be on tonight starting at 8pm EST for about three hours, and I'll be doing co-op for whomever needs it (or PvP if you're feeling froggy). I'd consider myself a very skilled player. I have a 120 skill and a 120 STR build. Send me a PM if you're looking for a little help anywhere.

I'll take you up on that, for Pvp. I've sent you a friend request, let me know when you're online

ramyeon

Fighting the Chikage Hunter on my second character. Not sure how I beat this guy so quickly last time, he's handing my arse to me this time around haha.

That repeating pistol spam.

Edit: Got him again! Love this fight, it was somehow even cooler when it was Chikage on Chikage.

Fighting the Chikage Hunter on my second character. Not sure how I beat this guy so quickly last time, he's handing my arse to me this time around haha.

That repeating pistol spam.

Edit: Got him again! Love this fight, it was somehow even cooler when it was Chikage on Chikage.
That's how I did it the first time I fought him...which was on my second character...I think Eileen's quest was sort of glitched on my first character. I got the crow badge without beating Henryk cause he killed Eileen...eventually after killing me so many times and me just leaving him there he just left the area and I picked it up. Finishing Eileens quest was challenging and fun, didn't even cheese the guy.

ramyeon

That's how I did it the first time I fought him...which was on my second character...I think Eileen's quest was sort of glitched on my first character. I got the crow badge without beating Henryk cause he killed Eileen...eventually after killing me so many times and me just leaving him there he just left the area and I picked it up. Finishing Eileens quest was challenging and fun, didn't even cheese the guy.
Oh yeah I saw on some YouTube play throughs that you can get the Crow Badge early if she dies in that fight. Shame you miss out on the Hunter Covenant though, most useful covenant rune I reckon.

Chikage Hunter is great! Fighting him without cheesing it one on one is so adrenaline pumping. Wouldn't have it any other way!

I've been hanging around in Frontier to get invasions and the same guy keeps invading me lol. I assume he would be a similar level to me? Because he keeps getting cut down in a few hits from transformed Chikage. Last time he couldn't even get a hit in. Feel kinda sorry haha.

Edit: Didn't realize the bell woman disappears if you beat the area's boss :/ that kinda sucks.

Edit 2: Lag really ruins PVP. I can deal with a bit here and there but when you're getting hit from across the area because of lag then it's just unplayable. Had two fights in a row with the same guy now and the lag with him is crazy. Makes it impossible to dodge and parry.

lord_lad

Banned
So i am pretty much at my end-game now where all i did in Bloodborne in PvP and helping out random hunters in Chalice Dungeons via the Makeshift Altar.
More often than not however, i realised that the Beckoning hunters (the hunter that called for help) grew over-confident when a cooperator (that is me) join his/her game.
Just last night, for at least 10 coop session from i presume 10 randoms, i observed these beckoners' fighting patterns in the boss arenas. Most of them just start rushing in and lashing out at the boss like they are playing Devil May Cry. They don't even try to see the boss's opening and even if do, don't even count how much time they can hit before retreat. I'm not sure whether do they really plays BB so aggressively but i think it's more to the fact that the existence of a cooperator in their games somehow makes them overconfident and forgot that this is not a God Of war game.

So out of these 10 randoms, 8 (yes, that 80% of them) died during the boss fights due to recklessness, making my playtime as a cooperator quite short per session. One random i played with that summoned me for Defiled Amygdala started dashing in to the boss to use the 'butt poke' method in which he got stomped within 5 seconds. The other guy starts dashing in to Ebrietas and starts to whack on his head and got head stomped by Ebrietas in seconds. All these makes me fuming!!!

TL;DR.....To all beckoning hunters, regardless whether a cooperator joins your game or not. DON'T GET COCKY AND START TO PLAY IT LIKE DMC, FOR GOODNESS SAKES!

So i am pretty much at my end-game now where all i did in Bloodborne in PvP and helping out random hunters in Chalice Dungeons via the Makeshift Altar.
More often than not however, i realised that the Beckoning hunters (the hunter that called for help) grew over-confident when a cooperator (that is me) join his/her game.
Just last night, for at least 10 coop session from i presume 10 randoms, i observed these beckoners' fighting patterns in the boss arenas. Most of them just start rushing in and lashing out at the boss like they are playing Devil May Cry. They don't even try to see the boss's opening and even if do, don't even count how much time they can hit before retreat. I'm not sure whether do they really plays BB so aggressively but i think it's more to the fact that the existence of a cooperator in their games somehow makes them overconfident and forgot that this is not a God Of war game.

So out of these 10 randoms, 8 (yes, that 80% of them) died during the boss fights due to recklessness, making my playtime as a cooperator quite short per session. One random i played with that summoned me for Defiled Amygdala started dashing in to the boss to use the 'butt poke' method in which he got stomped within 5 seconds. The other guy starts dashing in to Ebrietas and starts to whack on his head and got head stomped by Ebrietas in seconds. All these makes me fuming!!!

TL;DR.....To all beckoning hunters, regardless whether a cooperator joins your game or not. DON'T GET COCKY AND START TO PLAY IT LIKE DMC, FOR GOODNESS SAKES!

Smh such scrubs >_< I try to view all my combat as a dance, there is a subtle rhythm to the battle that you need to exploit to win.

Oh yeah I saw on some YouTube play throughs that you can get the Crow Badge early if she dies in that fight. Shame you miss out on the Hunter Covenant though, most useful covenant rune I reckon.

Chikage Hunter is great! Fighting him without cheesing it one on one is so adrenaline pumping. Wouldn't have it any other way!

I've been hanging around in Frontier to get invasions and the same guy keeps invading me lol. I assume he would be a similar level to me? Because he keeps getting cut down in a few hits from transformed Chikage. Last time he couldn't even get a hit in. Feel kinda sorry haha.

Edit: Didn't realize the bell woman disappears if you beat the area's boss :/ that kinda sucks.

Edit 2: Lag really ruins PVP. I can deal with a bit here and there but when you're getting hit from across the area because of lag then it's just unplayable. Had two fights in a row with the same guy now and the lag with him is crazy. Makes it impossible to dodge and parry.
That and the rune you get from Alfred is actually pretty useful in my opinion. I have not done that much PVP, probably doesn't help that I'm usually in the 90's when I get to Mergos area and probably in my 70's when I get to Amygdala, I've won most of them, but lost I think two, one mainly due to lag though. Chikage hunter is a good fight, it's one of those where you have to figure out where to fight him. I finally won by taking it to the stairs cause it severely cuts down his maneuver room. After that became a lot harder for him to teleport all over the place.

ramyeon

That and the rune you get from Alfred is actually pretty useful in my opinion. I have not done that much PVP, probably doesn't help that I'm usually in the 90's when I get to Mergos area and probably in my 70's when I get to Amygdala, I've won most of them, but lost I think two, one mainly due to lag though. Chikage hunter is a good fight, it's one of those where you have to figure out where to fight him. I finally won by taking it to the stairs cause it severely cuts down his maneuver room. After that became a lot harder for him to teleport all over the place.
Definitely had a mixed bag with PVP so far haha. Yesterday I kept getting people that seemed way more powerful than me and today it's the opposite. Just had a guy who completely spammed his gun which was a pain in the arse. I'd get him down to a little health and then he'd heal every time and spam more gunshots lol. Felt good when I caught his heal with a parry and took him out :D

Reminded me of that Hunter above the entrance to Yahar'gul who spams his gun like crazy.

mulac

Smh such scrubs >_< I try to view all my combat as a dance, there is a subtle rhythm to the battle that you need to exploit to win.

My dance is more:

ATTACK! ATTACK! I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!
OH SHI....
*loud noise of 10 blood vials being used*

<<repeat>>

DANCE.

ramyeon

One thing I've really noticed during my second play through is how much of the game I remember. Not just map layouts but where specific items are (Even not so important stuff like Madman's Knowledge, Blood Stones etc) and even enemy placement. It's crazy how much of this stuff has been mapped out in my mind. I think that's a real testament to just how good the level design is. Pretty cool really.

mulac

One thing I've really noticed during my second play through is how much of the game I remember. Not just map layouts but where specific items are (Even not so important stuff like Madman's Knowledge, Blood Stones etc) and even enemy placement. It's crazy how much of this stuff has been mapped out in my mind. I think that's a real testament to just how good the level design is. Pretty cool really.

Whats the incentive to do NG+?
I havent started one - wasnt planning on doing it and trying to get the platinum on one playthrough with the same character.

ramyeon

I havent started one - wasnt planning on doing it and trying to get the platinum on one playthrough with the same character.
NG+ gets harder each time you start over.

I'm not on NG+ though, started a new character to try a different build and weapons after my first play through.

Edit: Invaders camping in the sight of the Brain of Mensis are the most annoying thing ever. They always refuse to fight on fair ground.
Funny thing is that the people who do that are super easy to cut down once you get them out of that area haha.

Edit 2: When timed right heal counters are the most satisfying thing ever.

Melchiah

For the fun, and handling the NPCs differently, or doing the optional things that you missed on the first time

Edit: Invaders camping in the sight of the Brain of Mensis are the most annoying thing ever. They always refuse to fight on fair ground.
Funny thing is that the people who do that are super easy to cut down once you get them out of that area haha.

Edit 2: When timed right heal counters are the most satisfying thing ever.

One of my first invaders tried to mess with me in that Frenzy area by not coming near me and just constantly gesturing. It ended with me pinning him against the wall behind the lantern and ruining him with my Reiterpallasch!

It also helps that you know how to handle enemies and bosses already and not getting lost in the levels. Just the fact that I can more or less breeze through the woods without a guide is great cause it makes a large and expansive area seem a little smaller, the only ones I really have to learn are Yahargul and Nightmare Frontier since those are the least flowing to me. The experience also helps with the chalices since I took some of them a lot earlier than I did the first time I played the game. Using a different build is pretty fun especially if the two characters play differently, though I'm seriously considering swapping out the Reiterpallasch for the cane since the cane is a lot more versatile and gives me a range advantage over enemies.

mewmew42

May I have a suggestion for a first fun play through build please

No starting weapon, rifle spear, reiterpallash, tonitrus, chikage, Ludwig, or blade of mercy. Tried them all and didn't like the weapons.

Thank you in advance

ramyeon

One of my first invaders tried to mess with me in that Frenzy area by not coming near me and just constantly gesturing. It ended with me pinning him against the wall behind the lantern and ruining him with my Reiterpallasch!
Always feels good to destroy and invader when they try to mess with you like that :D I've been hanging around in the Nightmare areas without killing the maidens just so I can have fun with invaders haha.
It also helps that you know how to handle enemies and bosses already and not getting lost in the levels. Just the fact that I can more or less breeze through the woods without a guide is great cause it makes a large and expansive area seem a little smaller, the only ones I really have to learn are Yahargul and Nightmare Frontier since those are the least flowing to me. The experience also helps with the chalices since I took some of them a lot earlier than I did the first time I played the game. Using a different build is pretty fun especially if the two characters play differently, though I'm seriously considering swapping out the Reiterpallasch for the cane since the cane is a lot more versatile and gives me a range advantage over enemies.
I think I've got pretty much all the maps in my mind now, even stuff I initially thought I'd struggle with like the Nightmare areas I now can just sort of auto pilot through them picking up everything it's great!

No starting weapon, rifle spear, reiterpallash, tonitrus, chikage, Ludwig, or blade of mercy. Tried them all and didn't like the weapons.

Thank you in advance
So... What weapon DO you like if you don't like any of those? Kirkhammer? Saw Spear? Logarius Wheel? The weapon you choose will influence what stats you go for. You listed most of the most popular weapons as ones you don't like though.

My addiction to root chalice dungeons has gotten me a bit overleveled. My stats are now:

Vit: 50
End: 40
Str: 50
Skl: 50
Blt: 7
Arc: 6

I'm using the Ludwig Blade which is beastly with these stats.

I'm not quite sure how to continue from here. Has anyone tried taking Str and Skl higher? Is it at all wortwhile? Or should I increase Vit? You still get some benefits past 50, right? Might be useful in FRC root chalices. Or should I stop min-maxing and put some points into bloodtinge to start using some more advanced guns?

I'm already way past the PvP cut-off, so I may as well just continue to level up.

Hey! Cannon goose whats you're level now?

My addiction to root chalice dungeons has gotten me a bit overleveled. My stats are now:

Vit: 50
End: 40
Str: 50
Skl: 50
Blt: 7
Arc: 6

I'm using the Ludwig Blade which is beastly with these stats.

I'm not quite sure how to continue from here. Has anyone tried taking Str and Skl higher? Is it at all wortwhile? Or should I increase Vit? You still get some benefits past 50, right? Might be useful in FRC root chalices. Or should I stop min-maxing and put some points into bloodtinge to start using some more advanced guns?

I'm already way past the PvP cut-off, so I may as well just continue to level up.

I've got similar stats, we can always PvP :-D

ramyeon

How does everyone here feel about healing in PVP? I've been watching a lot of PVP Youtube clips to get a feel for it and a lot of them with commentary are really aggressive about it and get annoyed when people heal.

I tend to not heal until the other person heals first just out of courtesy if it's a mutual PVP. But in the case of invasions I think they have every right to heal since they're trying to play the game and are being forcibly invaded. I feel like, regardless of how things were done in Souls, this game seems to encourage healing in PVP anyway. The inclusion of a counter against it is pretty telling imo.

Without healing fights go way too quickly 99% of the time anyway. It sucks when you're waiting sometimes upwards of 10 minutes for a match and then it's over within 30 seconds.

How does everyone here feel about healing in PVP? I've been watching a lot of PVP Youtube clips to get a feel for it and a lot of them with commentary are really aggressive about it and get annoyed when people heal.

I tend to not heal until the other person heals first just out of courtesy if it's a mutual PVP. But in the case of invasions I think they have every right to heal since they're trying to play the game and are being forcibly invaded. I feel like, regardless of how things were done in Souls, this game seems to encourage healing in PVP anyway. The inclusion of a counter against it is pretty telling imo.

Without healing fights go way too quickly 99% of the time anyway. It sucks when you're waiting sometimes upwards of 10 minutes for a match and then it's over within 30 seconds.

If my opponent doesn't heal then I don't. If he/she does then it's on baby it's on!!
I'm gonna make you run out of vials and kill you slowly

Greddleok

Healing can be parried so any serious competitive player wouldn't disallow it even in honorable duels.

This. Healing is asking for a visceral. It's pretty easy to predict, and even if you get the timing off slightly, you will still stun them briefly so you can punish the heal.

Also, in PvP, everything is fair game.

Thank you in advance
You can use the Beast Claws or Burial Blade, but um...those are fairly late game items.

Top Bottom