• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

ramyeon

What's the best way to try to beat the final boss in the Grand Cathedral of the Eileen sidequest? Thanks!
If you're good at parrying then this fight becomes 100% easier. Keep on your feet and parry their attacks. Don't let them heal by using a numbing mist or parrying their heal attempts.

Silence the beckoning bell! Thanks again for the help Dhruv!

You're welcome :-D

Also you guys need to catch up :p

11807343_10207657641220293_5230703915867657510_o.jpg

mulac

Two days since I got my Bloodborne Platinum and I cannot stop thin!king about this goddamn game. I actually removed the disc from my PS4 to stop me playing it. I have Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight both on my PC waiting to be played...yes I can't stop thinking about Bloodborne!

My priority was getting the plat and will be all over the DLC and don't have the time for NG+ as too many other things to play (my Xbox1 hasn't been touched for months!)

Oh no...just grabbed Dark Souls 2 Scholar of First Sin. Never played a Souls games till Bloodborne...oops.

Two days since I got my Bloodborne Platinum and I cannot stop thin!king about this goddamn game. I actually removed the disc from my PS4 to stop me playing it. I have Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight both on my PC waiting to be played...yes I can't stop thinking about Bloodborne!

My priority was getting the plat and will be all over the DLC and don't have the time for NG+ as too many other things to play (my Xbox1 hasn't been touched for months!)

Oh no...just grabbed Dark Souls 2 Scholar of First Sin. Never played a Souls games till Bloodborne...oops.

One of us... ONE OF US!

data

Could someone give me a tip on where to go next? I'm somewhat stuck, I just defeated the Witch of Hemwick and the Darkbeast which took me back to Old Yharnam and I've been wandering around but I can't figure out what to do now

Deku Tree

Could someone give me a tip on where to go next? I'm somewhat stuck, I just defeated the Witch of Hemwick and the Darkbeast which took me back to Old Yharnam and I've been wandering around but I can't figure out what to do now

did you enter the grand cathedral yet? If not that's the next step.

If you beat that already then you need to go to the
forbidden woods
next.

Endurance is a low priority stat in Bloodborne, especially important to understand the best value to have depending on what weapon you're using since you need to conserve points to be in certain coop/pvp ranges.

Decided to take a break and jump into SoTFS (after beating the original on PS3). Gonna fire it up tonight......only I'm worried Bloodborne's buttery combat will have ruined it for me. Anyone tried going back to DkS II after Bloodborne? (Also, how active is the DkS II online these days?)

Decided to take a break and jump into SoTFS (after beating the original on PS3). Gonna fire it up tonight......only I'm worried Bloodborne's buttery combat will have ruined it for me. Anyone tried going back to DkS II after Bloodborne? (Also, how active is the DkS II online these days?)

Yes, I tried to go back.

I ended unistalling it and came back to play more BB.

I fear that BB might tainted souls games forever. Luckily it seems that DS3 will bring some of the BB combat on it.

...But why not. Then use a couple stamina+ runes to Sprint for days.

I guess if you don't mind going over lvl150, then yeah. But if you plan to PvP is a low tier stat.

Yes, I tried to go back.

I ended unistalling it and came back to play more BB.

I fear that BB might tainted souls games forever. Luckily it seems that DS3 will bring some of the BB combat on it.

I guess if you don't mind going over lvl150, then yeah. But if you plan to PvP is a low tier stat.
Level 182 and I PvP ;)

Agram

Chikage master race! Which gems do you have equipped?
I have 2 Damp Bloodtinge gems - droplet (+21.6% blood) and one Cursed Damp Bloodtinge gem - circle (+31.5% blood).
I'm happy with the circle one, but I don't have good radial gems and only use droplets found near Mother Brain. Where can I find better gems?

Chikage master race! Which gems do you have equipped?
I have 2 Damp Bloodtinge gems - droplet (+21.6% blood) and one Cursed Damp Bloodtinge gem - circle (+31.5% blood).
I'm happy with the circle one, but I don't have good radial gems and only use droplets found near Mother Brain. Where can I find better gems?

Your best choice is phy +27% damp gems. You can get them from chalice dungeons that have Merciless watchers bosses. Tier 5 and all 3 offerings, obviously. There should be some list there that have these as first boss on the first layer.

Agram

Your best choice is phy +27% damp gems. You can get them from chalice dungeons that have Merciless watchers bosses. Tier 5 and all 3 offerings, obviously. There should be some list there that have these as first boss on the first layer.
Sorry, forgot to say I need bloodtinge gems.
I have +27 on my LHB, but I need something for Chikage. I'm going full blood damage on it and I have bloodtinge lvl 40.
Thanks anyway ^^

ramyeon

I have no idea what to spend my echoes on. I wanna get rid of them all before starting in Cursed Pthumerian Defilement. Already have max vials and bullets... Can't use the papers with the Chikage :/ and I have close to a million of them to use haha.

I have no idea what to spend my echoes on. I wanna get rid of them all before starting in Cursed Pthumerian Defilement. Already have max vials and bullets... Can't use the papers with the Chikage :/ and I have close to a million of them to use haha.
Sedatives? Throwing knives? Elixirs? Molotov cocktails?

ramyeon

Sedatives? Throwing knives? Elixirs? Molotov cocktails?
Yeah ended up just grabbing a bit of everything, even though I very rarely use them. I just have a feeling I'll be dying a lot in this Chalice and don't want to worry about retrieving echoes :/

Yeah I was right, these pyromancers...

Edit: Wrecked the first boss on my second go. Underestimated her first time around. She's so easy to get in a loop of parry and visceral. She didn't even get 1 hit in. Was going to upload a video but I hit the PS button first and that seems to wipe whatever's been captured so far? :/

Edit 2: Watchdog is legit, y'all weren't kidding. This is gonna take awhile. Managed to get him half way down first time around but the second time he one shot me with his charge as soon as I entered the room lol.

Edit 3: He doesn't seem that bad though. I haven't been able to match my first time against him yet, but I'm gonna take a bit of a break and try again. His bite and flame attacks are really easy to dodge into and around to his sides to attack his legs. His charge is also pretty easy to dodge since the tell is really obvious. The catch being it is sometimes a OHKO and other times leaves you with a sliver of health. Every time I've died so far has been because I got greedy in my attacks so I'll have to train myself more on getting one or, at best, two hits in on his legs and then getting the hell out. I seem to recall he gets way more aggressive when he has less health left though so that should be interesting.

Ailing Loran BSB can kiss my fucking nuts, fuck that thing. Is the Chikage the worst weapon for that thing? Also tried to farm Inflicted Organs so I can make a Fetid Rotted Lower Pthumeru dungeon for gems and what not, but couldn't get more than one of the fucking things.

Ailing Loran BSB can kiss my fucking nuts, fuck that thing. Is the Chikage the worst weapon for that thing? Also tried to farm Inflicted Organs so I can make a Fetid Rotted Lower Pthumeru dungeon for gems and what not, but couldn't get more than one of the fucking things.

I can be online if you wanna double team it

Yeah ended up just grabbing a bit of everything, even though I very rarely use them. I just have a feeling I'll be dying a lot in this Chalice and don't want to worry about retrieving echoes :/

Yeah I was right, these pyromancers...

Edit: Wrecked the first boss on my second go. Underestimated her first time around. She's so easy to get in a loop of parry and visceral. She didn't even get 1 hit in. Was going to upload a video but I hit the PS button first and that seems to wipe whatever's been captured so far? :/

Edit 2: Watchdog is legit, y'all weren't kidding. This is gonna take awhile. Managed to get him half way down first time around but the second time he one shot me with his charge as soon as I entered the room lol.

Edit 3: He doesn't seem that bad though. I haven't been able to match my first time against him yet, but I'm gonna take a bit of a break and try again. His bite and flame attacks are really easy to dodge into and around to his sides to attack his legs. His charge is also pretty easy to dodge since the tell is really obvious. The catch being it is sometimes a OHKO and other times leaves you with a sliver of health. Every time I've died so far has been because I got greedy in my attacks so I'll have to train myself more on getting one or, at best, two hits in on his legs and then getting the hell out. I seem to recall he gets way more aggressive when he has less health left though so that should be interesting.

Wear the bone ash set against the dog

Just earned my platinum trophy! I could have gotten it a couple months ago but Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight have been keeping me busy :p. Anyways, yay! Bring on the DLC!

I can be online if you wanna double team it
For some odd reason with my second character I always get hung up on the BSB, it makes no sense. I can parry, it but my parries don't do enough damage and I get hung up on the third phase, I fucking hate that phase cause it seems like his attack pattern changes too damn much. I might be on in 45 minutes for a quickie, but I have work tomorrow so probably now.
Will do on my next go, was using Cainhurst up until now.
Having that decreased fire damage rune on helps too.

ramyeon

For some odd reason with my second character I always get hung up on the BSB, it makes no sense. I can parry, it but my parries don't do enough damage and I get hung up on the third phase, I fucking hate that phase cause it seems like his attack pattern changes too damn much. I might be on in 45 minutes for a quickie, but I have work tomorrow so probably now.

Only got the +5% one at the moment, is it worth switching to that from the Grand Lake (Gives +4% to all types of defence)? Just realised how bad the Cainhurst's elemental defence is, Bone Ash should definitely help a bit.

Only got the +5% one at the moment, is it worth switching to that from the Grand Lake (Gives +4% to all types of defence)? Just realised how bad the Cainhurst's elemental defence is, Bone Ash should definitely help a bit.
You could just use it in conjunction. Not getting hit too much also helps, but I guess when I fought him I had a more docile version of the Watchdog.

ramyeon

You could just use it in conjunction. Not getting hit too much also helps, but I guess when I fought him I had a more docile version of the Watchdog.
Using the HP up runes in my other slot which are probably better. And yeah, ideally I just don't want to get hit haha. Like I said I usually get hit when I got greedy so I'm gonna try to be a bit more conservative in my approach next time. Should be pretty doable.

Using the HP up runes in my other slot which are probably better. And yeah, ideally I just don't want to get hit haha. Like I said I usually get hit when I got greedy so I'm gonna try to be a bit more conservative in my approach next time. Should be pretty doable.
Not getting greedy helps a lot since it's mostly a patience battle. One or two at most is pretty much it. My fight lasted over 10 minutes so don't try to rush it.

If i'm not wrong then parry damage depends on your gems and skill stat

If i'm not wrong then parry damage depends on your gems and skill stat
It's definitely a skill stat thing with my second character, I fought it with my first character with a +10 cane and 50 in skill and pretty much decimated it, but 50 in vit, this character isn't as high level as that character so I guess I'm rushing it a bit everything of any note is in the low 40s with like 20 endurance. I'm eventually going to just progress NG+ with that character and level up some key stats. Still want to take her through a fetid rotted Lower Pthumeru dungeon for some better gems if possible.

ramyeon

Man the Watchdog is hard as nails. I keep screwing up and attacking when he goes for two head swipes in a row, I always realize a second too late. Tried doing leaping attacks at his head bu I feel like I was doing better at dodging into his attacks and hitting his legs, might go back to trying that again.

Edit: I can't stand it when he goes right into a chage from a swipe attack, there's no time at all to react and it's almost a guaranteed one shot.

Edit: The struggle is real god damnit. This is crazy.

Neiteio

Man the Watchdog is hard as nails. I keep screwing up and attacking when he goes for two head swipes in a row, I always realize a second too late. Tried doing leaping attacks at his head bu I feel like I was doing better at dodging into his attacks and hitting his legs, might go back to trying that again.

Edit: I can't stand it when he goes right into a chage from a swipe attack, there's no time at all to react and it's almost a guaranteed one shot.

Edit: The struggle is real god damnit. This is crazy.
As with every boss in Bloodborne, how quickly you beat a boss depends partly on luck, due to the randomness of certain moves. In this case, the RNG wildcard is the pounce attack. He telegraphs it with a roar, but like you say, it happens quickly.

Here's how I beat him. Took at least four or five tries, but I found this strategy to be relatively safe. It'll be a long battle, but it works. And I'd recommend standing away from his legs. He always turns to face you, so if you're at his feet, you'll have virtually no time to avoid the inevitable pounce attack.

ramyeon

As with every boss in Bloodborne, how quickly you beat a boss depends partly on luck, due to the randomness of certain moves. In this case, the RNG wildcard is the pounce attack. He telegraphs it with a roar, but like you say, it happens quickly.

Here's how I beat him. Took at least four or five tries, but I found this strategy to be relatively safe. It'll be a long battle, but it works. And I'd recommend standing away from his legs. He always turns to face you, so if you're at his feet, you'll have virtually no time to avoid the inevitable pounce attack.
That's similar to what I'm trying now. Although I'm using the Chikage so I have to leap attack (Annoying as hell when it doesn't register properly). My issues seem to be telling when he's going to snap once as opposed to when he's going to snap two or even three times in a row. There's also times where he'll snap once and follow it up with an almost instantaneous charge, impossible to dodge if you've made an attack and OHKO guaranteed.

The range on his fire swipes is really deceptively annoying too.

That's similar to what I'm trying now. Although I'm using the Chikage so I have to leap attack (Annoying as hell when it doesn't register properly). My issues seem to be telling when he's going to snap once as opposed to when he's going to snap two or even three times in a row. There's also times where he'll snap once and follow it up with an almost instantaneous charge, impossible to dodge if you've made an attack and OHKO guaranteed.

The range on his fire swipes is really deceptively annoying too.

If you're using the Chikage then I'm assuming you have the Evelyn as well? Spam it with Bone Ash shots to the face when it's down to like 1/3 of its health.

ramyeon

If you're using the Chikage then I'm assuming you have the Evelyn as well? Spam it with Bone Ash shots to the face when it's down to like 1/3 of its health.
Yeah I managed to get him really close like this and then he did a move I've not seen before where he leaped at me and took me out in one hit. Really frustrating but I'm getting there.

ramyeon

It's dead! :D! Not the most graceful of fights but I think I did alright considering I only used 8 vials. At the end I just said screw it and unloaded a bunch of bullets at his face since he was being too aggressive to get close to.

Oh man that feels good. Uploading a video to YouTube now, will probably take awhile to upload though.

Neiteio

It's dead! :D! Not the most graceful of fights but I think I did alright considering I only used 8 vials. At the end I just said screw it and unloaded a bunch of bullets at his face since he was being too aggressive to get close to.

Oh man that feels good. Uploading a video to YouTube now, will probably take awhile to upload though.
Congrats! I genuinely love that boss. One of the hardest in the game, but I didn't mind retrying it because it felt like I was Hercules fighting the Hydra or something. A true man vs. monster fight. Epic!

ramyeon

Congrats! I genuinely love that boss. One of the hardest in the game, but I didn't mind retrying it because it felt like I was Hercules fighting the Hydra or something. A true man vs. monster fight. Epic!
Definitely the hardest boss yet, hands down! It was indeed epic, Hercules vs the Hydra is good way of putting it haha. I was really let down by the Watchdog fight in the first Chalice since I was so over levelled for it and he was so cool looking - this has definitely redeemed him for me.

It was just the right amount of frustrating too. Never felt cheap and I knew whenever I died it was because I'd made a mistake (Well, a few of those charge attacks that followed from bites were a bit cheese-y on his part :p).

Neiteio

Definitely the hardest boss yet, hands down! It was indeed epic, Hercules vs the Hydra is good way of putting it haha. I was really let down by the Watchdog fight in the first Chalice since I was so over levelled for it and he was so cool looking - this has definitely redeemed him for me.

It was just the right amount of frustrating too. Never felt cheap and I knew whenever I died it was because I'd made a mistake (Well, a few of those charge attacks that followed from bites were a bit cheese-y on his part :p).
I know what you mean by the fight redeeming the Watchdog. There are several rematches like that in the chalice dungeons, where the second fight shows the true power of the boss. Really shows that every boss has potential given the right circumstances.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I know what you mean by the fight redeeming the Watchdog. There are several rematches like that in the chalice dungeons, where the second fight shows the true power of the boss. Really shows that every boss has potential given the right circumstances.

It's not so much Watchdog's "true" power but more of a the Hunter is being forcefully dragged down just to make it "more challenging." I am perfectly willing to bet that the Watchdog will be so much more manageable if we don't have the artificial half HP penalty.

Top Bottom