• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Neiteio

It's not so much Watchdog's "true" power but more of a the Hunter is being forcefully dragged down just to make it "more challenging." I am perfectly willing to bet that the Watchdog will be so much more manageable if we don't have the artificial half HP penalty.
Of course it would be easier if you could count on your beefy HP stat to tank your way through, but I like how the Cursed setup + the boss's super-armor and high resistance forces you to be tactical, showing how challenging the boss can be without the player's usual crutch. That's what I'm trying to say.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Of course it would be easier if you could count on your beefy HP stat to tank your way through, but I like how the Cursed setup + the boss's super-armor and high resistance forces you to be tactical, showing how challenging the boss can be without the player's usual crutch. That's what I'm trying to say.

Eh, in my honest opinion it's not much of a "how challenging the boss can be" but more of a "let's do this cheap trick--halving player's HP--to make it challenging."

I don't know, maybe it's just me being annoying, hahaha, but I am just not a fan of how they create the "challenge" of Defiled Chalice.

ramyeon

Video is up! Watching it back it's crazy how short the fight was (Just a little over 4 minutes!). That Bone Marrow Ash really sped things up a great deal. So much damage and my Evelyn is only +8.

Some silly mistakes in there like one time I thought he was charging but he did his fire bite and I got stuck in it. But a good fight nonetheless.

Cursed Pthumerian Defilement Watchdog of the Old Lords

Level 120, Skill/Bloodtinge Build with +10 Chikage and +8 Evelyn.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I'm with Laughing Banana. I don't think the half HP thing was a particularly great idea, but then again I don't like the Chalice Dungeons much. I don't mind it with the Amygdala fight, because he doesn't have many attacks that could one shot you. Watchdog though, most his attacks can one shot you, and playing a no hit run is kind of infuriating after awhile, especially when it takes one little mess up for you to lose another seven minutes of progress.

Neiteio

Video is up! Watching it back it's crazy how short the fight was (Just a little over 4 minutes!). That Bone Marrow Ash really sped things up a great deal. So much damage and my Evelyn is only +8.

Some silly mistakes in there like one time I thought he was charging but he did his fire bite and I got stuck in it. But a good fight nonetheless.

Cursed Pthumerian Defilement Watching of the Old Lords

I don't think I ever considered using a gun. I hadn't leveled Bloodtinge beyond 16 at the time, and my gun wasn't upgraded. This makes me think a Bloodtinge build could work well.

ramyeon

I don't think I ever considered using a gun. I hadn't leveled Bloodtinge beyond 16 at the time, and my gun wasn't upgraded. This makes me think a Bloodtinge build could work well.
Yeah my Bloodtinge is 40 here, I did a split 40/40 between Skill and Bloodtinge. Going purely Bloodtinge would be really difficult for the first half of the game until you get the Chikage. And even then I don't want to rely on the two-handed mode for too long, especially in non-PVP situations.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Wait till you try +10 Repeating Pistol + BMA + 50 Bloodtinge + good Bloodtinge gem. I only have the 21.6%-ish Bloodtinge gem from the main game's Mensis and it absolutely make some of the bosses like Bloodletting Beast or Abhorrent Beast an absolute joke.

Repeating Pistol is just King for dealing BMA infused damage. Too bad not many people seem to favor it compared to Evelyn or even the Cannon (too inefficient, meh). For sheer bloodtinge ranged damage potential, Repeating Pistol is truly number one.

Hail Repeating Pistol! Hail Repeating Pistol! Hahaha.

Soulhouf

It's not so much Watchdog's "true" power but more of a the Hunter is being forcefully dragged down just to make it "more challenging." I am perfectly willing to bet that the Watchdog will be so much more manageable if we don't have the artificial half HP penalty.

I dunno.
Cursed Ebrietas and Cursed Pthumerian Elder where a pain in the ass but they weren't much harder than Cursed Watchdog for me.

Well done good hunter. *Hunter's Approval*

I stayed away from BT builds for now but seeing that Evelyn damage, it's so alluring.

Congrats man. Rest of the whole thing should be easy for you then. I should probably try shooting it down with my second character since her bloodtinge is like 42 or something. I'll watch the fight when I get to work.

I stayed away from BT builds for now but seeing that Evelyn damage, it's so alluring.

Bloodtinge is amazing. I was really disappointed when I used the Cannon on my strength build after I had beat the game with my BT build. 12 bullets at once with Bone Ash would do maybe 3000 damage at +9, and yet three shots with Bone Ash from the Evelyn will easily clear that and still leave you with plenty of bullets. The cannon should use all of your bullets but do literally a million damage, or something like that. The current trade off is not worth the damage output at all, especially since they raised the number of bullets it consumes.

ramyeon

A pure BT build seems like it'd be difficult for me, but I'm definitely appreciating this BT/Skill build after coming from my original Str/Skill character. Feels good to use the gun for more than just parrying. Couldn't believe how much damage it did to the Watchdog once the head armour was gone though, I wasn't expecting that much!
Congrats man. Rest of the whole thing should be easy for you then. I should probably try shooting it down with my second character since her bloodtinge is like 42 or something. I'll watch the fight when I get to work.
Cheers! You'll destroy it if you have any more than 40 BT and Bone Marrow Ash (I'm guessing your Evelyn is +9, too)! When you watch the video you'll see, it takes off 3/4 of his health in less than a minute or something ridiculous!

I have a feeling it's gonna come in handy for taking pot shots at good old Amygdala's head too.

A pure BT build seems like it'd be difficult for me, but I'm definitely appreciating this BT/Skill build after coming from my original Str/Skill character. Feels good to use the gun for more than just parrying. Couldn't believe how much damage it did to the Watchdog once the head armour was gone though, I wasn't expecting that much!

Cheers! You'll destroy it if you have any more than 40 BT and Bone Marrow Ash (I'm guessing your Evelyn is +9, too)! When you watch the video you'll see, it takes off 3/4 of his health in less than a minute or something ridiculous!

I have a feeling it's gonna come in handy for taking pot shots at good old Amygdala's head too.
Good fight. Regarding my bloodtinge/skill character. I might just go nuts and clear most of NG+ before I take on that chalice dungeon with her. I want to get skill and bloodtinge and health at 50 before I take on some of that crazy shit, or at least get my vit to 50. I also want to +10 the Threaded Cane and at least +9 the Evelyn before going in there.

Neiteio

Just touch Amygdala's tail, causing him to jump up and land in place in the opposite direction. While he's in the air, just turn around and charge an overhead strike. You'll hit his head when he lands. Rinse and repeat.

Bloodtinge is amazing. I was really disappointed when I used the Cannon on my strength build after I had beat the game with my BT build. 12 bullets at once with Bone Ash would do maybe 3000 damage at +9, and yet three shots with Bone Ash from the Evelyn will easily clear that and still leave you with plenty of bullets. The cannon should use all of your bullets but do literally a million damage, or something like that. The current trade off is not worth the damage output at all, especially since they raised the number of bullets it consumes.

I agree about the Cannon. It's not much viable for builds since damage=/=staggering. It would've been cool if you could push back giant bosses like Ebrietas's charge with it with a well timed hit. From should reduce the bullets it eats per use at least if they won't increase the damage and make it worth while.

That Evelyn damage was really impressive.
After spending over 150 hours with a Skl+Str/Arcane the BT builds look really good. I want to start a Chikage character pretty soon after clearing NG+. I guess picking the cane would be the most useful in the beginning.

I agree about the Cannon. It's not much viable for builds since damage=/=staggering. It would've been cool if you could push back giant bosses like Ebrietas's charge with it with a well timed hit. From should reduce the bullets it eats per use at least if they won't increase the damage and make it worth while.

That Evelyn damage was really impressive.
After spending over 150 hours with a Skl+Str/Arcane the BT builds look really good. I want to start a Chikage character pretty soon after clearing NG+. I guess picking the cane would be the most useful in the beginning.
Yes if you're going to go skill/bloodtinge. The cane is great once you get used to it, pairs well with the Chikage cause it allows you to cover a good amount of range and handle mobs well too. +10 the Chikage and +9 the Cane.

Agram

Does anybody want to boost CD to get 27% physical gems? It's taking forever alone.
We just have to beat layer 1 boss over and over again in Cursed Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice. (glyph pwmf22gu)

Neiteio

otacon.jpg

Yes if you're going to go skill/bloodtinge. The cane is great once you get used to it, pairs well with the Chikage cause it allows you to cover a good amount of range and handle mobs well too. +10 the Chikage and +9 the Cane.

I used the cane a lot till I got the Blades of Mercy which then became my main. Seems like it's the most viable secondary after getting the Chikage. Forgot how good it's range is when transformed after being spoiled with Ludvig's for so long.

ramyeon

I used the cane a lot till I got the Blades of Mercy which then became my main. Seems like it's the most viable secondary after getting the Chikage. Forgot how good it's range is when transformed after being spoiled with Ludvig's for so long.
Either that or Reiterpallasch which is great too. I could never get used to the Cane personally. So I switch between either Reiterpallasch or Blades of Mercy as my secondary.

Either that or Reiterpallasch which is great too. I could never get used to the Cane personally. So I switch between either Reiterpallasch or Blades of Mercy as my secondary.

Cane is good for range though not much else late game. Oh man, Reiterpallasch is too OP. I've seen ENB wreck Ebrietas with a Reiter like it's nothing. My Jaw was on the floor since it took me over 40 something tries to finally beat her.
I guess I better farm a lot of chunks and keep switching between the Cane, Reiter and the Blades of Mercy.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. :]

ramyeon

Cane is good for range though not much else late game. Oh man, Reiterpallasch is too OP. I've seen ENB wreck Ebrietas with a Reiter like it's nothing. My Jaw was on the floor since it took me over 40 something tries to finally beat her.
I guess I better farm a lot of chunks and keep switching between the Cane, Reiter and the Blades of Mercy.

Haha yes, that ENB video is what convinced me to give the Reiterpallasch a go. He makes it look so ridiculously effortless.

Haha yes, that ENB video is what convinced me to give the Reiterpallasch a go. He makes it look so ridiculously effortless.
That's why I went Reiterpallasch too, but god damn Chikage put in some serious work against Ebrietas. The damage output of the Chikage is just too damn good in my opinion. People need to stop sleeping on the cane.

I think the cane and Chikage pair better because you have better range options with the two of them. Reiter is too short range and you already have a CQC weapon with the Chikage, BoM is great for stun locking shit though. If you don't want it to attack just stun lock the ever holy fuck out of it till it's dead.

ramyeon

Just destroyed Defiled Amygdala on my second attempt. Almost a perfect run, didn't get hit at all until the final moments. Kind of freaked out when she had a sliver of health left and went wild with bullets to finish the job, apart from that I couldn't have asked for a better run. Uploading video now.

ramyeon

Okay, video is up.

Cursed Pthumerian Defilement: Amygdala (No Damage Run)

Another short run. Just over 5 minutes. I'm really happy with how this went. I don't think I could have asked for it to go better on my second try. On rewatching - this was a perfect run. I thought it was only near perfect because I'd used two vials but I used those after sacrificing health for blood bullets. Didn't get hit by Amygdala even once. So stoked.

Level 120 Bloodtinge/Skill build (40/40), Chikage +10, Evelyn +8.

Neiteio

Okay, video is up.

Another short run. Just over 5 minutes. I'm really happy with how this went. I don't think I could have asked for it to go better on my second try. On rewatching - this was a perfect run. I thought it was only near perfect because I'd used two vials but I used those after sacrificing health for blood bullets. Didn't get hit by Amygdala even once. So stoked.

Yeah, I said in the other thread, but this is great. The boss showcases a great variety of moves and looks awesome while doing them, and seeing your performance is a good reference point for dodging them in the future. While I like my touch-the-tail strategy, I also like seeing more of what Amygdala can do, so this video was a treat. :)

Jombie

The Cursed bosses are a pushover once you realize you can't just bumrush and tank them like you can in the core game. They can be a pain, but I had a new appreciation for them after that dungeon.

ramyeon

Yeah, I said in the other thread, but this is great. The boss showcases a great variety of moves and looks awesome while doing them, and seeing your performance is a good reference point for dodging them in the future. While I like my touch-the-tail strategy, I also like seeing more of what Amygdala can do, so this video was a treat. :)
The tail strat probably works just as well! I just can't stand the camera when I'm below Amygdala so I prefer to stay locked on and deal with he/she/it head on. It becomes a fun dance at some point once you're comfortable with the moves it throws at you. Interestingly enough I never did that well against Amygdala in the main game. Never would have guessed it'd be the first boss I ever beat without taking damage!
The Cursed bosses are a pushover once you realize you can't just bumrush and tank them like you can in the core game. They can be a pain, but I had a new appreciation for them after that dungeon.
I mean they definitely become easier when you're more careful but I don't think they're a pushover still. One wrong move in this version of Amygdala and you will be one shot. Interestingly I don't think this fight was any longer than the fights I've had with Amygdala in the main game either.

Neiteio

The tail strat probably works just as well! I just can't stand the camera when I'm below Amygdala so I prefer to stay locked on and deal with he/she/it head on. It becomes a fun dance at some point once you're comfortable with the moves it throws at you. Interestingly enough I never did that well against Amygdala in the main game. Never would have guessed it'd be the first boss I ever beat without taking damage!
The tail strategy amuses me with how readily Amy falls for it (and it -is- satisfying smacking her in the face with a fully charged axe swing as soon as she lands), but it was great seeing you fight the boss locked-on since the boss looks so cool and I frankly had no idea how to reliably dodge the attacks until I saw you do it.

Also, keeping the boss in view is the same reason I prefer my chalice dungeon fight with Ebrietas. In the main campaign, I fought Ebrietas up close, unlocked, but could barely see her. The second time around, in the chalice dungeon, I maintained lock-on and kept her in view the entire time, which made for an incredibly epic-looking fight.

I'm all about theatrics, as you can see, lol. I'm passionate about these bosses!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Is there any way to do an Isz chalice without doing Ailing Loran? Can I get Ritual Blood 5 without going there?
I found those in the Upper Cathedral Ward but it's not enough. I wouldn't even mind having to do the Defiled chalice but you need the Bastards of Loran for it. I just don't want to kill Amygdala yet, for PvP...

Soulhouf

Is there any way to do an Isz chalice without doing Ailing Loran? Can I get Ritual Blood 5 without going there?
I found those in the Upper Cathedral Ward but it's not enough. I wouldn't even mind having to do the Defiled chalice but you need the Bastards of Loran for it. I just don't want to kill Amygdala yet, for PvP...

Since the last update it's no longer possible. You need to access a depth 4/5 chalice to collect ritual blood 5 and the only way to do it is going through Ailing Loran.

If you have the Blades of Mercy at at least +9 Ailing Loran isn't even that bad since you can stun lock the shit out of everything. Bosses can be a huge pain though, especially the amped up Blood Starved Beast and Abhorrent Beast.
Okay, video is up.

That was a top notch fight, good job!!

ramyeon

So Great Isz Chalice is like easy mode after surviving the Cursed Pthumerian Defilement (Such a mouthful). I love the atmosphere though, all the stuff in the air and weird plants and spores makes it feel suitably alien.

Getting some good traffic on my Defiled Amygdala video (For my standards :p)! Makes me wish I had saved all my better boss fight videos.

So Great Isz Chalice is like easy mode after surviving the Cursed Pthumerian Defilement (Such a mouthful). I love the atmosphere though, all the stuff in the air and weird plants and spores makes it feel suitably alien.

Getting some good traffic on my Defiled Amygdala video (For my standards :p)! Makes me wish I had saved all my better boss fight videos.
Considering the bosses you get in Great Isz it makes perfect sense that it feels alien.

ramyeon

Considering the bosses you get in Great Isz it makes perfect sense that it feels alien.
Yeah it's perfect I love it! Although the bosses do feel just a bit phoned in so far (Up to level 3).

I had to do a double take when those messengers popped out of the ground and dumped me in a room full of enemies, wasn't expecting that.

Yeah it's perfect I love it! Although the bosses do feel just a bit phoned in so far (Up to level 3).

I had to do a double take when those messengers popped out of the ground and dumped me in a room full of enemies, wasn't expecting that.
Oh god, never had that happen, I only did the first layer of Great Isz. Doesn't sound fun.

It's really weird, there's these circles of candles on the ground that if you run over they suck you in. Found a video of it (Lucky for this guy he'd cleared out that room already). I don't think the candles are lit beforehand, when I came back later they were definitely lit and very visible though.
Well damn that's crazy, yeah good thing he cleared out the room. Chalice dungeons are pretty random. Can't wait play later today. I'm not sure if I should tackle more Great Isz or do some more NG+ either way it helps with my platinum attempt but still. I do need to find better gems for my first character so hopefully Great Isz has some.

ramyeon

Well damn that's crazy, yeah good thing he cleared out the room. Chalice dungeons are pretty random. Can't wait play later today. I'm not sure if I should tackle more Great Isz or do some more NG+ either way it helps with my platinum attempt but still. I do need to find better gems for my first character so hopefully Great Isz has some.
Haven't been able to find much in the way of decent gems in any of the main Chalices so far :( I guess all that stuff is in the Root Chalices. Looking forward to starting on those so I can experience some of this craziness.

Haven't been able to find much in the way of decent gems in any of the main Chalices so far :( I guess all that stuff is in the Root Chalices. Looking forward to starting on those so I can experience some of this craziness.
Oh that makes more sense. I think the Fetid Rotted Cursed versions give the best but you can only do that combo on a depth 5 chalice. I'm honestly not ready to do that with Lower Ailing Loran yet, ugh. Besides farming that material is a pain in the ass because you can't really buy those.

Melchiah

I disagree with that, as I've went through the main game twice, and all the chalices, using the Cane almost exclusively. Only used Tonitrus against Rom, and Ludwig against Ebrietas, on my first playthrough. Ludwig does more damage, but I don't think it's as versatile and fun to play as the Cane.

That has happened to me few times in Isz and Isz root chalice. Luckily you can usually spot those places. I think it was Loran where there were trap holes, which did the same thing.

Neiteio

I've beat all of the chalice dungeons, and I think I only encountered the messenger trap once. They warped me to a room full of spiders and those fire-breathing dogs.

That's why I went Reiterpallasch too, but god damn Chikage put in some serious work against Ebrietas. The damage output of the Chikage is just too damn good in my opinion. People need to stop sleeping on the cane.

I think the cane and Chikage pair better because you have better range options with the two of them. Reiter is too short range and you already have a CQC weapon with the Chikage, BoM is great for stun locking shit though. If you don't want it to attack just stun lock the ever holy fuck out of it till it's dead.

Yeah the cane works out for the range. Oh yes, Blades of Mercy's stun is crazy. It's my favorite weapon because of that and how quick it is. It was like love on first sight when I saw Eileen wrecking the life out of Henryk with that speed. :D

Okay, video is up.

I never thought a lock on would work so well with Amy G. Always kept wailing at her arms myself with Ludwig's. This looks a lot more efficient. Great fight again.

I disagree with that, as I've went through the main game twice, and all the chalices, using the Cane almost exclusively. Only used Tonitrus against Rom, and Ludwig against Ebrietas, on my first playthrough. Ludwig does more damage, but I don't think it's as versatile and fun to play as the Cane.

Oh the Cane is good but after getting Blades of Mercy it just wasn't quick enough for me. It's easily the best choice for starters though, especially if you want to look like a dashing gentle-hunter. :p
I actually found the Cane to be a lot more efficient against Ebrietas. Not mine of course, found it on Reddit: A Bl4 NG+7 Ebrietas with the cane. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJKmkg6l4Yw This guy is my new hero.

I've beat all of the chalice dungeons, and I think I only encountered the messenger trap once. They warped me to a room full of spiders and those fire-breathing dogs.
It's one of those things you're more likely to encounter in root chalices like a lot of other things.

Oh the Cane is good but after getting Blades of Mercy it just wasn't quick enough for me. It's easily the best choice for starters though, especially if you want to look like a dashing gentle-hunter. :p
Cane is more of a slow weapon even not compared to Blades of Mercy. It's meant to exploit kiting quite a bit while still having a decent one handed form.

For a Skill build, if you want a more DPS oriented option before the Blades are available you can get the Saw Spear as a sort of 4th choice of a starter weapon, or even get the Rifle Spear early.

Melchiah

I actually found the Cane to be a lot more efficient against Ebrietas. Not mine of course, found it on Reddit: A Bl4 NG+7 Ebrietas with the cane. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJKmkg6l4Yw This guy is my new hero.

Isn't the common consensus, that the Cane can be hard for newcomers in the beginning, before it's levelled up?

I chose to use Ludwig against Ebrietas on the first playthrough, after failing a handful times with the Cane. Due to the higher damage I managed to beat her before she launched the deathrays.

Cane is more of a slow weapon even not compared to Blades of Mercy. It's meant to exploit kiting quite a bit while still having a decent one handed form.

For a Skill build, if you want a more DPS oriented option before the Blades are available you can get the Saw Spear as a sort of 4th choice of a starter weapon, or even get the Rifle Spear early.
I prefer the balance of the cane over the Saw and Rifle Spears. The damage scaling didn't really excite me with those two weapons. Rifle is great for the charge attack though, but you can't buff it. I can't see myself fighting too well with it unlocked either. The Saw Cleaver type weapons, I can use, but I just find them a bit "boring." I just do not use them personally, they seem pretty viable though and I did enjoy the rifle spear as well, just dropped it for a different weapon.
Isn't the common consensus, that the Cane can be hard for newcomers in the beginning, before it's levelled up?

I chose to use Ludwig against Ebrietas on the first playthrough, after failing a handful times with the Cane. Due to the higher damage I managed to beat her before she launched the deathrays.
I beat Ebrietas with a Cane, just not face up. I think I rolled through her tentacles and just slapped her ass and sides with a bolt paper cane.
Yeah the cane works out for the range. Oh yes, Blades of Mercy's stun is crazy. It's my favorite weapon because of that and how quick it is. It was like love on first sight when I saw Eileen wrecking the life out of Henryk with that speed. :D
BoM trivializes most of the enemies in Ailing Loran and the fly people in Byrgenwerth...so much stun locking, shit was hilarious. Actually made getting used to attacking them with the Chikage a challenge since it's not as fast to attack, long wind up animation in my opinion.

Top Bottom