• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Melchiah

Nearly every browser under the sun auto-resizes screenshots. The auto-resizing looks better than the quoting.

I mean to put the images within quotes. It's a a common courtesy.

EDIT: Like this.
5a8jM3.jpg

ramyeon

I mean to put the images within quotes. It's a a common courtesy.

EDIT: Like this.
Browsers auto resize images to fit the post anyway. I am pretty sure the quoting images idea was something that was used before the forum would auto resize images.

I suppose I just don't get why it's such a big deal?

Finally done with Witcher 3, really great game. It might give Bloodborne a good chase for GOTY. Now I can get back to my NG+ run.

It's even worse if you're trying to farm those gargoyles in Cainhurst.

Oh I know. I followed one of ENB's videos where he said the Gargoyles are good for chunks. Got just one chunk in 3 hours. Can't complain though, anytime spent in Cainhurst is time well spent. Got to co op a lot against Logarius too.

I've never farmed them, but I gained a plenty of them by going through all the chalices and the main game twice. I've got +10 Cane, Ludwig, and Evelyn, +9 Saw Cleaver and Burial Blade, +8 Blades of Mercy, and +7 Chikage. And one unused Blood Rock on top of those.

Yeah you do get a lot of chunks in one playthrough, enough to +9 three weapons if you farm only two more chunks. I spent all my chunks into random weapons and by the time I got the Burial blade, I had to end up farming a bit. It sucked but got the hang of the burial blade through it.

New batch of pics up in the screenshots thread.

Ramyeon, I modified your outfit (silver leggings and gauntlets from Cainhurst set with knight's garb) so that it has the blindfold cap instead of the hunter's cap. I like the irony of armor and nobleman fashion from the Vilebloods of Cainhurst, mixed with the headwear and weaponry of the Choir and Healing Church. It also solves the hair-clipping issue at the collar if you're using a female character with the shoulder-length hair. And it has decent stats, too.

*Images of the best armor in game*

I had the same set on for the longest time. Knight's set is really good for fashionborne.

2AdEPT

Are the chalice dungeon variants (Sinister Isz, Cursed and Defiled Pthumeru, etc.) worth doing? I don't care at all about loot. I just mean is it worth doing them as an end in itself? Is it the same bosses just with randomized levels and more/different mobs?

My skill character is actually at NG++ and I've used whip, blades of mercy, and burial blade with him, but far and away preferred the whip as a main weapon. BoM is unbeatable when it comes to one-on-one with a regular enemy, but I don't like it as much for bosses and it's awful for crowds. I'm leaning toward starting a skill/bloodtinge build, and focusing on getting rifle spear, then chikage. You could do the same and stick with BoM until you clear Cainhurst to wean yourself off your addiction.

Awful for crowds? I guess what makes it the best for me is that it does indeed require a lot of skill to make it excel, the running R2 to the side is a move that is GOdly and I bet most have never even tried it, its hard ot pull off but my female characters look like friggin ballerinas as they kill. It allows you to dance in between mobs in a crowd and come out the victor despite poor odds. Simply mowing things down with ludwig's is not as challenging. I get what you are saying, its a weak weapon for huge bosses, but more rewarding to do it with a less powerful , but more elegant wapon.... So to summarize why I think the BOM is so great, the moveset is unique and varied , it requires skill for sure, but just like all things souls, the reward is greater with stuff that requires the most skill to push it to its max usefulness.

Awful for crowds? I guess what makes it the best for me is that it does indeed require a lot of skill to make it excel, the running R2 to the side is a move that is GOdly and I bet most have never even tried it, its hard ot pull off but my female characters look like friggin ballerinas as they kill. It allows you to dance in between mobs in a crowd and come out the victor despite poor odds. Simply mowing things down with ludwig's is not as challenging. I get what you are saying, its a weak weapon for huge bosses, but more rewarding to do it with a less powerful , but more elegant wapon.... So to summarize why I think the BOM is so great, the moveset is unique and varied , it requires skill for sure, but just like all things souls, the reward is greater with stuff that requires the most skill to push it to its max usefulness.

Blades of Mercy is very effective against huge bosses actually imo. You end up looking for openings more than just whacking with a long range weapon but when you do land a hit, the high DPS makes up for it. And if you can dodge well, the beast blood pellets make it even more viable. It pretty much trivializes the main game bosses, except for Amy G but there are ways to deal with her too.

KanameYuuki

The fight with the defiled watchdog is seriously frustrating, last time I got him to 25~30% and one dumb mistake means insta death, I know what to do and etc but I just can't kill him, I hope the complaining gods listen to me and allow me to beat him after this post.

Edit: And as always, doing a post complaining about a boss works like a charm, finally killed him and now the road to the hardest boss starts.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The fight with the defiled watchdog is seriously frustrating, last time I got him to 25~30% and one dumb mistake means insta death, I know what to do and etc but I just can't kill him, I hope the complaining gods listen to me and allow me to beat him after this post.

Edit: And as always, doing a post complaining about a boss works like a charm, finally killed him and now the road to the hardest boss starts.

Im just so happy that I was able to skip the defiled chalice when working my way to queen yharnam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPjJCVylFBo

just wanted to share this with you guys lol

Lol, I wish it were real. :p

Congratulations. Amy G is comparatively easier than watch_doge. And after that it's pretty much a walk in the park.

ramyeon

Amy is way, way easier than Watchdog. Killed it without getting hit at all on my second go whereas Watchdog took me a good hour or so.

Pthumerian Descendant in Ihyll was the hardest boss for me.
Lol, I wish it were real. :p

Congratulations. Amy G is comparatively easier than watch_doge. And after that it's pretty much a walk in the park.
I disagree, Descendant in Ihyll is way harder than the Defiled bosses imo. And I reckon the Bloodletting Beast there could give people a run for their money depending on their play style too. Yharnam is easy but the rest of Ihyll isn't really a walk in the park.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Congratulations. Amy G is comparatively easier than watch_doge.
Amy is way, way easier than Watchdog.
I think that's just plain bullshit. Watchdog's pattern is way more predictable and his charge move (which is fairly easy to avoid) doesn't even OHKO at full health (50 vit). Amy has tons more health and her last phase is just spastic nonsense, and when she decides to jump (which she spams constantly near the end when you don't have a convenient bloodtinge build to cheese-finish her with), you can get fucked over instantly.

I solo'd both and I don't remember which one took more tries, but on my second character when cooping with a friend, I got Watchdog second try (first try was just a derpy moment where I died almost instantly), and Amy took like 12+ tries.

ramyeon

I think that's just plain bullshit. Watchdog's pattern is way more predictable and his charge move (which is fairly easy to avoid) doesn't even OHKO at full health (50 vit). Amy has tons more health and her last phase is just spastic nonsense, and when she decides to jump (which she spams constantly near the end when you don't have a convenient bloodtinge build to cheese-finish her with), you can get fucked over instantly.

I solo'd both and I don't remember which one took more tries, but on my second character when cooping with a friend, I got Watchdog second try (first try was just a derpy moment where I died almost instantly), and Amy took like 12+ tries.
Nothing is "bullshit". People have different experiences with different bosses in this game. I solo'd both too, posted the video for Amy on the post above. That was my second attempt at it and I killed it without being hit once. I just found its patterns easy to predict and attacks easy to avoid. Watchdog was harder for me. I don't know what number attempt this was but it took a long time and I still get hit since his moves are less easy to predict and easy to read wrong imo.

Co-op I imagine would make Watchdog easier as his attacks would be focused more on one player at a time. I can't see it helping with Amy though as its attacks are for more wide and likely to hit both players at any given time.

Not bullshit, just my experience with the bosses.

Amy is easy to cheese, but if you wanna win fair and clean, is very hard.

Watchdog is easier if you aim to the head, and wait for the end of the combo, stepping in and trying to hit his legs is definetly harder.

I'd say one of the worst is Phu. Descendant. Specially when he goes Infinite Stamina Mode.

ramyeon

Amy is easy to cheese, but if you wanna win fair and clean, is very hard.

Watchdog is easier if you aim to the head, and wait for the end of the combo, stepping in and trying to hit his legs is definetly harder.

I'd say one of the worst is Phu. Descendant. Specially when he goes Infinite Stamina Mode.
I did not cheese Amy in that video.

I did not cheese Amy in that video.

Not saying you did, but you have an Evelyn, last phase without a range weapon like that is crazy.

I constantly managed to get him until that last phase, but I got killed so many times, trying to get close to hit the head is really, really hard.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So now using your build to your advantage is cheesing? GTFO with that.
Hence the "kinda". There's nothing wrong with using a build to your advantage and I didn't say there was, but it's definitely why your experience is not representative of the boss's general difficulty.

Darklurker was piss easy when you spammed super strong pyromancies at it. With melee, he's ridiculously tough. Strong pyromancies wouldn't help with an easier boss like, say, Lost Sinner. But if I said Darklurker is an easier boss than Lost Sinner, I'd still be wrong.

Same with Firestorm in Demon's Souls. It can OHKO the Maneaters with the proper gear loadout. Firestorm won't help against Garl Vinland. Is Maneaters easier than Garl? No.

There's cheesing and there's cheesing. Exploiting an AI weakness like the chikage HP drain on that Cathedral hunter is the lame kind of cheesing, something I would never do. Spamming my build's strongest spell to annihilate a tough boss? That's also cheesing, but the fair and legit kind.

Not saying you did, but you have an Evelyn, last phase without a range weapon like that is crazy.

I constantly managed to get him until that last phase, but I got killed so many times, trying to get close to hit the head is really, really hard.
Yup, the last phase is crazy without ranged support, the risk of getting OHKO is astonishingly high.

KanameYuuki

So far it seems easier to bait and punish Amygdala but his aoe are serous business I'm getting caught always after he jumps and then he attacks, the jump itself does nothing but I can't get out.

I thought he was the hardest boss since everyone just talks about him everywhere, so it seems the final dungeon will also be a challenge, I want that platinum so badly but to be honest I'm not really sure I'll get it haha.

I'll call it a day so I can feel fresh on my next try.

Amy is way, way easier than Watchdog. Killed it without getting hit at all on my second go whereas Watchdog took me a good hour or so.

I disagree, Descendant in Ihyll is way harder than the Defiled bosses imo. And I reckon the Bloodletting Beast there could give people a run for their money depending on their play style too. Yharnam is easy but the rest of Ihyll isn't really a walk in the park.

Descendant was really annoying I agree, still having full HP made it a lot more tolerable.
I cheesed him with the Pillar though so I guess my opinion about the Descendant can be taken as moot.
Bloodletting Beast on the other hand can be a mixed bag depending on if you have a long weapon. How did you fare with the Chikage against Headless Bloodletting beast?

I found Amy to be a lot easier. Just whacked at her arms and ran. The only annoying parts were her jumps. Died a lot to her jumps and I mean a loooot, but it was less infuriating than Watch Dog.

ramyeon

Hence the "kinda". There's nothing wrong with using a build to your advantage and I didn't say there was, but it's definitely why your experience is not representative of the boss's general difficulty.

Darklurker was piss easy when you spammed super strong pyromancies at it. With melee, he's ridiculously tough. Strong pyromancies wouldn't help with an easier boss like, say, Lost Sinner. But if I said Darklurker is an easier boss than Lost Sinner, I'd still be wrong.

Same with Firestorm in Demon's Souls. It can OHKO the Maneaters with the proper gear loadout. Firestorm won't help against Garl Vinland. Is Maneaters easier than Garl? No.

There's cheesing and there's cheesing. Exploiting an AI weakness like the chikage HP drain on that Cathedral hunter is the lame kind of cheesing, something I would never do. Spamming my build's strongest spell to annihilate a tough boss? That's also cheesing, but the fair and legit kind.

Yup, the last phase is crazy without ranged support, the risk of getting OHKO is astonishingly high.
When I think cheesing, I think of stuff like the Chikage Hunter or getting Gascoigne caught on tombstones etc. essentially to me it means taking advantage of holes in the AI to trivialize an encounter with an enemy to the point that something difficult becomes too easy. I don't consider having a legitimate strategy that focuses on the strengths of your build to be cheesing, not even "kinda". The fight was still difficult - I still had to keep on my feet and make sure I was dodging every move. There were even several very close calls at the end since I had to stay fairly close range to reliably get hits from the Evelyn to connect (Someone else posted an Amy video the other day where none of their hits connected because they were too far away - you have to be within hitting range of Amy in order for shots to connect).

Perhaps the fight is more difficult if you don't have range but that just goes along with the fact that everyone is going to have a different experience with each boss depending on a multitude of factors.
Descendant was really annoying I agree, still having full HP made it a lot more tolerable.
I cheesed him with the Pillar though so I guess my opinion about the Descendant can be taken as moot.
Bloodletting Beast on the other hand can be a mixed bag depending on if you have a long weapon. How did you fare with the Chikage against Headless Bloodletting beast?

I found Amy to be a lot easier. Just whacked at her arms and ran. The only annoying parts were her jumps. Died a lot to her jumps and I mean a loooot, but it was less infuriating than Watch Dog.
Beast wasn't too bad for me. I already one shotted the earlier Blood Letting Beast so I knew his attacks and that I had to dodge in under his legs to avoid most of them. I struggled mostly with the camera and died my first try because it was so hard to control while locked on :/ second time I fought completely unlocked and it was worlds easier.

ramyeon

What in the legit serious fuck? How the fuck does this happen?
Root chalices can spawn bosses as regular enemies and one room after another in some cases apparently. I actually posted this video here a couple of days ago but I think you missed it haha (I'm pretty sure it was in a reply to you).

Beast wasn't too bad for me. I already one shotted the earlier Blood Letting Beast so I knew his attacks and that I had to dodge in under his legs to avoid most of them. I struggled mostly with the camera and died my first try because it was so hard to control while locked on :/ second time I fought completely unlocked and it was worlds easier.

Yeah unlocked works a lot better with Blood letting beast, and I think with a lot other giant bosses as well. Being able to aim your attacks is a bliss. His snake phase was a pain for me though, got OHKO'd a lot.

What in the legit serious fuck? How the fuck does this happen?

The real Bloodborne starts here. :p

Uh how? Did you do this through co-op search in Hunter's Dream?

Defiled Amygdala is destroying me over and over again :(

You could skip all the dungeons and get to Ihyll through SRRC. Some really lucky people got summoned straight to layer 3 of Ihyll and got the Yharnam trophy. They patched it now though.

ramyeon

Yeah unlocked works a lot better with Blood letting beast, and I think with a lot other giant bosses as well. Being able to aim your attacks is a bliss. His snake phase was a pain for me though, got OHKO'd a lot.

The real Bloodborne starts here. :p

You could skip all the dungeons and get to Ihyll through SRRC. Some really lucky people got summoned straight to layer 3 of Ihyll and got the Yharnam trophy. They patched it now though.
Yeah unlocked is definitely more manageable. The camera was all over the place whenever you got near his legs otherwise. Really hard to see what he's going to do next or even where you're swinging half the time!

--

I'm glad I went through all the dungeons first, especially Defiled. It was a great sense of accomplishment, especially coming into this as my first From Soft game. Would've felt empty if I'd skipped it all just to get a trophy (I've never cared about trophies though anyway).

Soulhouf

Heping people with Chalice Dungeons right now. I'm getting something like:
Defiled Amygdala: 60%
Defiled Watchdog: 30%
Everything else: 10%

It's frustrating because 9 times out of 10 the host dies lol.

In another note, I tested the co-op level re-adjust with a friend and it's pretty weird.
Stats don't go down when you're summoned with someone lower level than you but your HP and your attack power are heavily nerfed.
Example:
I am level 4 with a +3 Saw Cleaver and shitty gems. The summoned character is level 70 with +10 Kirkhammer. and high end game gems. I'm finding myself doing more damage than they do.

Yeah unlocked is definitely more manageable. The camera was all over the place whenever you got near his legs otherwise. Really hard to see what he's going to do next or even where you're swinging half the time!

--

I'm glad I went through all the dungeons first, especially Defiled. It was a great sense of accomplishment, especially coming into this as my first From Soft game. Would've felt empty if I'd skipped it all just to get a trophy (I've never cared about trophies though anyway).

And if you're really unlucky he'll just hop around while you're under his legs while locked on, spinning the camera around and disorienting you like you're high on Yharnam blood. :p I still he could've been a good main story boss, somewhere in the woods, like replacing of Shadows maybe.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I was counting on this. So I'm guessing now you need to have the chalice made and be on the same level at least to be summoned.

Welp back to being fucked by Amygdala I guess.

Try cheesing her if you feel annoyed, and if nothing else you can always ring the beckoning bell and partake in communion.

Root chalices can spawn bosses as regular enemies and one room after another in some cases apparently. I actually posted this video here a couple of days ago but I think you missed it haha (I'm pretty sure it was in a reply to you).
I saw it, but I was quite busy with my girlfriend and finally watched it. I'm in a rotted Ailing Loran and they have the witches of hemwick in here as a random enemy and that's crazy enough for me. I can't imagine the watchdoge popping in here randomly.

Euron

And if you're really unlucky he'll just hop around while you're under his legs while locked on, spinning the camera around and disorienting you like you're high on Yharnam blood. :p I still he could've been a good main story boss, somewhere in the woods, like replacing of Shadows maybe.

Try cheesing her if you feel annoyed, and if nothing else you can always ring the beckoning bell and partake in communion.
I've been trying to cheese her but I always fuck it up. And my dungeon is set to closed so my friend and I can co-op easily but he gave up. Honestly I don't have much of an understanding regarding how the Chalice Dungeon co-op works in this game.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
In another note, I tested the co-op level re-adjust with a friend and it's pretty weird.
Stats don't go down when you're summoned with someone lower level than you but your HP and your attack power are heavily nerfed.
Example:
I am level 4 with a +3 Saw Cleaver and shitty gems. The summoned character is level 70 with +10 Kirkhammer. and high end game gems. I'm finding myself doing more damage than they do.
Hmm, that's weird. My friend had an opposite experience.

He is high level, and he was helping his low-level friend with Vicar Amelia. He's like level 100 and his friend was level 30 or so. They were invaded and according to my friend, the invader was about on the same level as he was, e.g. in the range of 100. His friend was doing almost no damage to the invader, but he himself was doing decent damage to him.

This was recent too, I'm pretty sure the level capping patch thing was active. So, if you summon a high level friend, you risk being invaded by a high level player?

I've been trying to cheese her but I always fuck it up. And my dungeon is set to closed so my friend and I can co-op easily but he gave up. Honestly I don't have much of an understanding regarding how the Chalice Dungeon co-op works in this game.

You can still co op with closed but with a password I think. Set a password and I can help you out if you want, though it's been a while since I fought Amy.

I find it mind-boggling that anyone could find Descendant or Bloodletting Beast anywhere near as hard as defiled Amygdala but then again I didn't use my gun, and didn't know how to manipulate her jump move, so getting in there to do some damage during the "using her own arms as clubs" phase was pretty maddening for me.

ramyeon

I find it mind-boggling that anyone could find Descendant or Bloodletting Beast anywhere near as hard as defiled Amygdala but then again I didn't use my gun, and didn't know how to manipulate her jump move, so getting in there to do some damage during the "using her own arms as clubs" phase was pretty maddening for me.
You haven't spoken to many people about bosses in this game? Because every person I've spoken to has different opinions or experiences about which bosses they found easy and which bosses they struggled with. There are so many factors that can affect it.

Descendant was extremely difficult for me, I don't know if that was solely because I refused to level up past 120 but in his second phase he could stun lock me into a combo and kill me instantly.

Btw I didn't find BLB harder than Defiled Amygdala, I said some people may find it difficult depending on their play style. I do think that at least for me, personally, Descendant was the hardest boss in the game. While no other boss besides the Watchdog took me more than 3 or 4 tries to kill, Descendant probably took me over a good 20 or so tries (Became much easier when I stopped trying to parry and just focused on dodging - after that it only took a couple of tries to nail it).

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Just beat Yharnam queen first try. One of my favorite bosses. She's really cool, and I all the visual effects she has going on. I really wish she wasn't trapped behind all the Chalice dungeon stuff.

You haven't spoken to many people about bosses in this game? Because every person I've spoken to has different opinions or experiences about which bosses they found easy and which bosses they struggled with. There are so many factors that can affect it.

Descendant was extremely difficult for me, I don't know if that was solely because I refused to level up past 120 but in his second phase he could stun lock me into a combo and kill me instantly.
Of course people are going to have different experiences. Like I said, it probably just comes down to my character not being built around doing high gun damage. No need to get defensive; I'm not doubting your experience or anything, was just expressing my surprise. I barely even remember the two other bosses you mentioned, because for me they went down pretty easily, while defiled watchdog and Amygdala were by a wide margin the hardest bosses in the game. For what it's worth, I capped myself at 120 too.

Manu

I hate these stupid box thing enemies in Yahar'gul. Sometimes their hits OHK you and sometimes they don't.

There doesn't seem to be any consistency as to why.

silva1991

I hate these stupid box thing enemies in Yahar'gul. Sometimes their hits OHK you and sometimes they don't.

Attack them with a quick combo string, if that doesn't kill them then roll around till you get another opening. You can lure them to the dudes that are on fire in there for some damage. Oddly enough the transform draw attack and charge attack of the Chikage will do some good damage to them if your bloodtinge is high enough. Regarding that 3 Cramped Casket mob in the back after that solo ambush out of the carriage I believe you can just leave them there since there's nothing worth the hassle over there. I believe they have a chance of killing you if they attack you while you're attacking because that does bonus damage.

burgerdog

When are we expecting to get a glimpse of the dlc? I'm super stoked for dark souls 3 now that we've seen in game footage, but I need dat bloodborne dlc.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

If they hit you mid-dodge, that counts as a direct/counter hit (or whatever the terminology is) and will do extra damage.

When are we expecting to get a glimpse of the dlc? I'm super stoked for dark souls 3 now that we've seen in game footage, but I need dat bloodborne dlc.
I'd love to know this as well, but I don't think any release date has been offered so far.

I just got to nightmare frontier and it's possibly the most beautiful area in the game so far, love it. Struggling with the poison swamps and rock throwers though.

I don't think I've managed to find that so far, I have the rust coloured one I think it's the tomb keepers set? or something? Not sure.

Even Gascoigne's stuff has good poison resist, though if you want to go search for it you can find the white church set in Forbidden woods. It's on one of the rooftop of the house near the dog cages.

Anyone know what's a good level to stop at for a NG+ character? It's a helper character only for PvE and Chalices. I was thinking somewhere around 160-170.

I don't think I've managed to find that so far, I have the rust coloured one I think it's the tomb keepers set? or something? Not sure.
Go back to the Forgotten Woods, it's up on a roof if you stick to the left path after the first mob with the two dogs. Even if you have the Black Church set it's still a really good poison resist set. Regarding the rock throwers use some Blue Elixirs. I didn't really use them ever till I got there and they come in handy during some parts of chalice dungeons as well.
Finally, after months and months, I got the Platinum!! My first ever. Well worth the time and effort.
Congrats, I have two more trophies left...two more trophies.

Top Bottom