• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Chalice dungeons bring you up to 150, imo. 100-120 is just a generally accepted endgame level for first time players for the main story.
Actually, yeah I do remember wasting echoes by the end of the chalices because I didn't want to go past 120 (even though I never ended up doing any pvp, ha ha), though that also included levels gained from NG+. Still, I'd be shocked if 110-120 was anywhere near the median endgame level for NG.

Anyway, question for the thread. I've done a skill build (mainly using whip), a strength build (mainly using Kirkhammer), and a BL4 build (exclusively using axe). What's a fun build for a fourth character? Not looking specifically for a high or low level of challenge, just want something fun and qualitatively different. Was thinking bloodtinge, but pure BT is probably a bad idea right?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Playing this again, using the stakdriver as my main now for shits and giggles. Man, the R2 charged attack doesn't get old.

Actually, yeah I do remember wasting echoes by the end of the chalices because I didn't want to go past 120 (even though I never ended up doing any pvp, ha ha), though that also included levels gained from NG+. Still, I'd be shocked if 110-120 was anywhere near the median endgame level for NG.

Anyway, question for the thread. I've done a skill build (mainly using whip), a strength build (mainly using Kirkhammer), and a BL4 build (exclusively using axe). What's a fun build for a fourth character? Not looking specifically for a high or low level of challenge, just want something fun and qualitatively different. Was thinking bloodtinge, but pure BT is probably a bad idea right?
Skill/bloodtinge is very viable and you can use the whip from the beginning.

Melchiah

Finally beat Amygdala, and earned the platinum I had obtained earlier by bypassing the Defiled chalice. It took me several tries to learn not to instinctively evade when it jumps, which lead to being stomped to death. It's by far the longest boss fight of them all, and took me over 10 minutes. I was about to shit my pants during the second phase, when I couldn't hit it with Bone Ash Marrow powered Evelyn. Instead, I had to use the other method, and attack its feet from behind.

I also beat Amygdala on NG+ earlier on tonight, and it was so much easier using the same tactic; evading and attacking from the front during the first phase, and shooting it with Evelyn +BMA during the second one. Dunno why it was so hard to hit the Defiled version with the gun.

Here's a video of the fight with Defiled Amygdala:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJNLI0_fOCw

Another bowel loosening moment was around 8:00, when I got hit twice and left with so little health that for a second I thought I was already dead.

KanameYuuki

I just arrived to
Upper Cathedral Ward
and it is so scary and dark T~T I want to go home. there are so many sounds and not being able to see anything gives me the creeps.

Melchiah

Shortroot chalice, which no longer allows you to bypass required chalices.

Yeah, I took advantage of the bypass method, as I wanted to face the Queen and get the stone, in case it will have some use in the expansion, and Defiled's health handicap seemed too much of a nuisance at the time. Taking a shortcut began to bug me later on, and I just had to go through it as well. I also wanted to face the Watchdog.

So despite Defiled Amygdala beating the crap out of me several times (3x I barely made it through the fog), I just killed her in 2 minutes due to having an actual plan. Wow.

2 minutes?! That's pretty fucking good. What method did you use?

Obviously the tail baiting method, but I none of the other strategies I read online mentioned what I feel is the best way to capitalize on the opening and deal damage (with Ludwig's blade); some said L2, and some went R2. But none of the videos I saw for people using R2 shows them start charging before she landed, and locking on before the attack happens. Doing that, I was able to hit her in the face with full R2 charges just about every time. Damage was from 1800-3200 each time, plus I got 2 visceral attacks in.

Also I think the game finally showed mercy after all the OHKOs I received. After ripping her arms off she continued the same jumping pattern as the early stages, and didn't jump away. That definitely made the end easier.

Finally beat Amygdala, and earned the platinum I had obtained earlier by bypassing the Defiled chalice. It took me several tries to learn not to instinctively evade when it jumps, which lead to being stomped to death. It's by far the longest boss fight of them all, and took me over 10 minutes. I was about to shit my pants during the second phase, when I couldn't hit it with Bone Ash Marrow powered Evelyn. Instead, I had to use the other method, and attack its feet from behind.

I also beat Amygdala on NG+ earlier on tonight, and it was so much easier using the same tactic; evading and attacking from the front during the first phase, and shooting it with Evelyn +BMA during the second one. Dunno why it was so hard to hit the Defiled version with the gun.

Here's a video of the fight with Defiled Amygdala:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJNLI0_fOCw

Another bowel loosening moment was around 8:00, when I got hit twice and left with so little health that for a second I thought I was already dead.

i had a lot of fun against Defiled Amygdala, at first it seemed impossible but when i learned not to move when it jumps, it became a really fun fight. beat it kind of sloppily though, not a very pretty fight haha. gotta watch your fight later.

and also, got the Platinum finally last night \o/ took me 3 months because of work and stuff, but it is done. awesome game. now i want some big chunky DLC expansion...

Melchiah

i had a lot of fun against Defiled Amygdala, at first it seemed impossible but when i learned not to move when it jumps, it became a really fun fight. beat it kind of sloppily though, not a very pretty fight haha. gotta watch your fight later.

and also, got the Platinum finally last night \o/ took me 3 months because of work and stuff, but it is done. awesome game. now i want some big chunky DLC expansion...

Yeah, I saw your Amygdala videos on the PSN news feed. Compliments on the platinum.

Amygdala was the most nerve-wracking fight in the game for me, partly due to how long it lasted. I managed to evade most of its attacks, but the damage I dealt was pretty low as I didn't hit the head. My hands were shaking after I finally defeated it. =)

It took me over four months to beat all the bosses. Now I can finally move on to other games.

Yeah, I saw your Amygdala videos on the PSN news feed. Compliments on the platinum.

Amygdala was the most nerve-wracking fight in the game for me, partly due to how long it lasted. I managed to evade most of its attacks, but the damage I dealt was pretty low as I didn't hit the head. My hands were shaking after I finally defeated it. =)

It took me over four months to beat all the bosses. Now I can finally move on to other games.

heh, cool. i know that hands shaking feeling very well... usually that's when i die because i lose focus.

so yeah.. now we have the problem of what to play next. nothing will be as satisfying so.. i have no idea. maybe Witcher 3 on the hardest difficulty? that'll take a few months as well.

I started New Game +

I'm one blood chunk away from getting to +9, is there a chalice dungeon I can do to get to there? I've not progressed far enough in the story to be picking one up.

Melchiah

heh, cool. i know that hands shaking feeling very well... usually that's when i die because i lose focus.

so yeah.. now we have the problem of what to play next. nothing will be as satisfying so.. i have no idea. maybe Witcher 3 on the hardest difficulty? that'll take a few months as well.

I'll have to postpone starting Witcher, because new Dragon Age DLC and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture come next week. Then there's Arkham Knight, which I started earlier, but returned to BB. I kinda want to play something different, like EGttR, now as other combat-based games just feel lacking compared to BB.

Manu

So I finally bought a new DS4 after my old one started acting up and went back to Bloodborne for a test drive. I killed the Witches of Hemwick, killed Amelia on my first try (she was giving me hell last time I tried), killed Henryk (he killed both me and Eileen on my previous playthrough), and did the whole Forgotten Woods area. Died a few times to the Shadows of Yharnam but up to that point I had played almost three hours and died just once.

Thought I was getting bad at the game. Turns out it was my faulty DS4 all along.

Finished this today. Great game. For me it's

1. Dark Souls
2. Bloodborne
3. Demon's Souls
67. Dark Souls 2

I've yet to play Witcher 3 and there's some big names coming out between now and Christmas, but this has stolen GOTY title from Grow Home so far. Will be hard to top.

You'll most likely accrue that before you find another Chunk I can tell you that much. You can't just pop all the Madmens knowledge and Great One's Wisdom you've collected in NG or did you expend all of those?

Chunks drop fairly often from the werewolves in Upper Cathedral Ward.. last time i got one Chunk from each, so that's 3 in under a minute. that might have been crazy good luck though.

Chunks drop fairly often from the werewolves in Upper Cathedral Ward.. last time i got one Chunk from each, so that's 3 in under a minute. that might have been crazy good luck though.
I think I'd chalk that up to crazy good luck. You'd be surprised how random chunk drops are in this game, especially from Chalice dungeon bosses.

I think I'd chalk that up to crazy good luck. You'd be surprised how random chunk drops are in this game, especially from Chalice dungeon bosses.

I agree. Spent 10 hours farming the Werewolves with the Eye rune and still barely found maybe 15 chunks. That's was 1.5 chunk per hour for me.
Then another session I got 6 chunks from the wolves within an hour. I don't even know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Depth 4/5 Chalice dungeons are much more reliable.

I agree. Spent 10 hours farming the Werewolves with the Eye rune and still barely found maybe 15 chunks. That's was 1.5 chunk per hour for me.
Then another session I got 6 chunks from the wolves within an hour. I don't even know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's even worse if you're trying to farm those gargoyles in Cainhurst.

Melchiah

I've never farmed them, but I gained a plenty of them by going through all the chalices and the main game twice. I've got +10 Cane, Ludwig, and Evelyn, +9 Saw Cleaver and Burial Blade, +8 Blades of Mercy, and +7 Chikage. And one unused Blood Rock on top of those.

Melchiah

I've got a question... a friend of mine quitted playing the game when he got stuck in Blood-starved Beast. So, would I be able to help him with my +200 level character, or should I do so with the alternate ~100 level save file?

EDIT: Oops, sorry for the consecutive posts.

KanameYuuki

Now I'm stuck with the blood Starved Beast in the chalice dungeon, he is way too fast and I can't touch him and 1 grab or combo from him destroys me.

Neiteio

New batch of pics up in the screenshots thread.

Ramyeon, I modified your outfit (silver leggings and gauntlets from Cainhurst set with knight's garb) so that it has the blindfold cap instead of the hunter's cap. I like the irony of armor and nobleman fashion from the Vilebloods of Cainhurst, mixed with the headwear and weaponry of the Choir and Healing Church. It also solves the hair-clipping issue at the collar if you're using a female character with the shoulder-length hair. And it has decent stats, too.

bloodborne_2015080723yhsso.jpg

bloodborne_2015080800adslg.jpg

Neiteio

Now I'm stuck with the blood Starved Beast in the chalice dungeon, he is way too fast and I can't touch him and 1 grab or combo from him destroys me.
Wait for him to raise his arm or stand up. Then quickstep -toward- him. He'll miss you as you phase through his attack with invincibility frames, and you'll land next to him or behind him for easy follow-up strikes.

I had nothing to do today, so I decided to see how fast I could beat this.

jbz5lcG1GSQMc4.jpeg

I made a ton of mistakes, but I'm satisfied with the results. I think I'll try Dark Souls next.

KanameYuuki

Wait for him to raise his arm or stand up. Then quickstep -toward- him. He'll miss you as you phase through his attack with invincibility frames, and you'll land next to him or behind him for easy follow-up strikes.

Thanks for the advice, I was finally able to beat him, the next boss was also way too fast and he rushed so much while I was trying to heal but it was easier to bait him ground punds and then punish him, I went to the Defiled chalice and boy, that HP bar completely destroyed my confidence haha, then I was 1 shot by those fire summoning ladies. So close but so far to get the platinum.

ramyeon

New batch of pics up in the screenshots thread.

Ramyeon, I modified your outfit (silver leggings and gauntlets from Cainhurst set with knight's garb) so that it has the blindfold cap instead of the hunter's cap. I like the irony of armor and nobleman fashion from the Vilebloods of Cainhurst, mixed with the headwear and weaponry of the Choir and Healing Church. It also solves the hair-clipping issue at the collar if you're using a female character with the shoulder-length hair. And it has decent stats, too.

bloodborne_2015080723yhsso.jpg

bloodborne_2015080800adslg.jpg
Nice shots! The blindfold cap looks cool, Hunter's Cap still wins for me since it covers the collar of the Knight's Garb. Not too fond of that frilly collar haha.

2AdEPT

I think BT will be my next character, but Im not sure how I can ever give up the Blade of Mercy. A far off second was using teh Bone fist in Dark souls 2, but BOM is my favourite weapon in any souls game. You should definitley consider it for NG+ for your skill character, or you can start a new charactrer, cheese Eileen by having her jump off the rafters close to where you find her in central yharnam and then paster her with firebobms. I stumbled on the BOM early by allowing her to die in the Henryk fight.

here is a video of this You can also use pungent blood bombs, no other enemy is weaker to the draaw of blood bombs than a blood starved one! ;)

Neiteio

Nice shots! The blindfold cap looks cool, Hunter's Cap still wins for me since it covers the collar of the Knight's Garb. Not too fond of that frilly collar haha.
Totally understand.

I like to imagine that the frilly collar conceals neck armor made out of the same paper-thin silver plating on the Cainhurst set. I also like to think the same armor is on the arms and upper and lower torso, under the knight's garb. I furthermore like to think that the blindfold cap can produce a metal mouthguard like Sundowner in Metal Gear Rising.

...I really get into this stuff.

I've gotten the Watchdog and Pthumerian Descendant as normal enemies in root chalices before. I've read somewhere that can happen with Blood-starved Beast too.

Are the chalice dungeon variants (Sinister Isz, Cursed and Defiled Pthumeru, etc.) worth doing? I don't care at all about loot. I just mean is it worth doing them as an end in itself? Is it the same bosses just with randomized levels and more/different mobs?

I think BT will be my next character, but Im not sure how I can ever give up the Blade of Mercy. A far off second was using teh Bone fist in Dark souls 2, but BOM is my favourite weapon in any souls game. You should definitley consider it for NG+ for your skill character, or you can start a new charactrer, cheese Eileen by having her jump off the rafters close to where you find her in central yharnam and then paster her with firebobms. I stumbled on the BOM early by allowing her to die in the Henryk fight.
My skill character is actually at NG++ and I've used whip, blades of mercy, and burial blade with him, but far and away preferred the whip as a main weapon. BoM is unbeatable when it comes to one-on-one with a regular enemy, but I don't like it as much for bosses and it's awful for crowds. I'm leaning toward starting a skill/bloodtinge build, and focusing on getting rifle spear, then chikage. You could do the same and stick with BoM until you clear Cainhurst to wean yourself off your addiction.

Top Bottom