• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

lawnchair

Banned
i'm like 35 hours in and i still have no idea what the hell is going on in this game story-wise.

always been that way for me with the soulsy games, though..

lawnchair

Banned
I wouldn't worry about it just enjoy the ride, I don't think i've understood anything storywise in a Souls game!

i am definitely enjoying it, but 100% for the gameplay and not the narrative. i don't often get to play for more than an hour at a time due to my life schedule, and i don't get to play every day .. Here's what i've got so far:

there's some kind of disease(?) that needs blood treatment(?) provided by the healing church who might be evil or something (?). There is an old hunter named Henryk who grew to be too old for some reason(?). The hunters are guys who go out and kill beasts but might be beasts themselves(?). there's an underground school or library from which the whole healing cure was derived(?) but it is now forbidden ground. There is a castle somewhere called called Cainhurst where something happened and people liked to wear wigs.

There was a cutscene in some church (good chalice?) where some dude was talking to some other dude. I hadn't played the game for like a week when i got to that part, i had no idea what-so-ever what that cutscene was actually about.

maybe i have really poor memory or something. i feel like most of the lore that i get from this game comes from reading item descriptions during loading screens, which is kind of lame. i just reached a mysterious forest-type place which i think will lead to byrgenwerth or whatever. if anyone feels like summing up the story so far without being too spoilery i wouldn't mind. also, if there's a thread for story discussion only, please excuse this post.

Keep the pillar between you and the flameball guy. Kill the katana guy first, then the one with the flaming katana, and last the one throwing balls of fire.

This is what I really like about Bloodborne, the different ways to take down the same boss.

For me, I would use the pillar and other obstacles to block the fireball guy and lure the other two over to me. Then I would dodge past them, sprint up to fireball guy and get a few good hits on him before dashing off to the other end of arena. Rinse and repeat until he went down. Depending on how much separation I could get between katana guy and flaming katana guy, I would sometimes get a couple of shots in on them in the process.

After fireball guy went down, I would try to set up separation between the remaining two and alternate between hitting them to take health down on both in equal measures. That way, the final stage was short once I took one of them out.

giphy.gif

85, main is Ludwig +8 (I think). Ran out of bolt paper too, but I figured it was useful because of its effectiveness on the Emissary.
Raise that thing up to +10 if that's your main weapon. I've never fought her with anything less than that since I take her on after going through the Nightmare of Mensis so just leave her alone for a bit and tackle Mensis first.

Manu

Well, I finally decided I'm gonna do the Chalice Dungeons with this character.

Is there any guide somewhere I can follow? Or do I just play them over and over to get the materials I need to do the others? Is there anything else to it?

Is there any guide somewhere I can follow? Or do I just play them over and over to get the materials I need to do the others? Is there anything else to it?
You don't really need that much of a guide, just go to every room and kill everything and you should have the materials for the next chalice unless you need materials for the augmented root chalices, that's where the whole thing gets a bit tricky.

There are guides everywhere but the easy advice for starting out Chalice Dungeons... Exploring the entire dungeon and beating all of the bosses gets you the mats needed for creating the next dungeon (assuming you have gotten all the chalices from the main story + side bosses).

Have you completed the main story? What level are you? I did not start on them until I had beaten the game once through. That made me severely overpowered for the first few dungeons.

Manu

There are guides everywhere but the easy advice for starting out Chalice Dungeons... Exploring the entire dungeon and beating all of the bosses gets you the mats needed for creating the next dungeon (assuming you have gotten all the chalices from the main story + side bosses).

Have you completed the main story? What level are you? I did not start on them until I had beaten the game once through. That made me severely overpowered for the first few dungeons.

85, have not beaten the story yet (on this character).

I have another character currently on NG+ who's beat every boss, maybe I should do it with that one instead? I'm aiming for the plat with the new character though.

85, have not beaten the story yet (on this character).

I have another character currently on NG+ who's beat every boss, maybe I should do it with that one instead? I'm aiming for the plat with the new character though.

At 85, you should smoke through the first few chalice dungeons. The first one or two is kind of like an introduction to them so somewhat bare bones and straight forward. But then they keeping adding to them and things get real interesting.

NEO0MJ

Yeah he's not cheap at all, it's all about managing his attack patterns. Old dude is fun to fight and his music is bad ass.

I just hope that they bring humanoid bosses that can't be countered. I started to feel that it was a crutch later on because of how much easier it became to handle bosses thanks to it.

I just hope that they bring humanoid bosses that can't be countered. I started to feel that it was a crutch later on because of how much easier it became to handle bosses thanks to it.
Yeah that would be nice as well, I guess since they just treated them like plot relevant hunter battles they sort of felt similar a bit. You can get through a lot of enemies by parry fishing, bosses as well. I honestly want more grotesque great one battles, but more humanoid bosses would be fun as well.

Though the actual attacking part of them were pretty easy, I would like more bosses with a puzzle aspect like
Micolash
and
The Witch of Hemwick

Or it would be cool to see a boss like a Doppleganger. First phase is a copy of you, second phase is a copy of previously existing boss and final phase is something completely new and different.

Manu

I gotta say, nothing beats Henryk's set as far as badass sets go.

I'm pretty happy about how this run is going. I was able to finish Eileen's and Alfred's quests this time. Maybe I'll get all the Cathedral Ward survivors next time.

sobaka770

Banned
Okay I don't know why the
Yahar'gul village (blood moon)
is so weirdly tuned, but it's quite disappointing. I died countless times to the first set respawning guys on the stairs, and don't get me started on the
Trio of hunters in the cathedral who killed me at least a dozen times until I managed to get one down
but the later enemies
Huge blobs of skulls replacing pigs
are ridiculously easy and the boss was a pushover, what happened?

I think I'm nearing the end of the game, what a ride anyway.

is so weirdly tuned, but it's quite disappointing. I died countless times to the first set respawning guys on the stairs, and don't get me started on the
Trio of hunters in the cathedral who killed me at least a dozen times until I managed to get one down
but the later enemies

A lot of newer players don't realize that
Yah'gul is a place designed with running past enemies in mind.

but the later enemies

Once you memorize the locations of the bell ringers this area is almost piss easy. Oddly enough the only thing that kills me is that Amygdala blasting his laser at the floor on the way to the second lamp. Hunter trio isn't even that bad anymore when you realize you can sneak up on the first guy, back stab him, bolt back out the door, wait for him to de aggro, go back in back stab him again to kill him and then just separate the other guys by running back to the lamp room, makes them way more manageable.

but the later enemies

I feel the same way, now that i am finally starting to overcome it little by little..
The
laser beam
set piece reminded me of Anor Londo archers...I was lucky to run through it to discover the new lamp..

A couple of questions...
How far am I in the game..around 70 - 80 % ?
I assume that in this part of the game I should equip an armor with
high Blood
stat?

I feel the same way, now that i am finally starting to overcome it little by little..
The
laser beam
set piece reminded me of Anor Londo archers...I was lucky to run through it to discover the new lamp..

A couple of questions...
How far am I in the game..around 70 - 80 % ?
I assume that in this part of the game I should equip an armor with
high Blood
stat?
Nothing in this game is as bullshit as those Anor Lando archers, only thing just as bad is dealing with that cliff with 3 Winter Lanterns on it...and those Bell Maidens with the infinitely respawning spider and there's 2 of them in one room in a chalice dungeon...that's some bull shit...better have high endurance to run from them.

Melchiah

This is what I really like about Bloodborne, the different ways to take down the same boss.

For me, I would use the pillar and other obstacles to block the fireball guy and lure the other two over to me. Then I would dodge past them, sprint up to fireball guy and get a few good hits on him before dashing off to the other end of arena. Rinse and repeat until he went down. Depending on how much separation I could get between katana guy and flaming katana guy, I would sometimes get a couple of shots in on them in the process.

After fireball guy went down, I would try to set up separation between the remaining two and alternate between hitting them to take health down on both in equal measures. That way, the final stage was short once I took one of them out.

I take out the hardest first. The fireball guy is really easy and less aggressive, whereas the katana guy's second phase is a pain in the ass. BTW, I never witnessed the snakes coming from the ground on my first playthrough. They only appeared on NG+.

I take out the hardest first. The fireball guy is really easy and less aggressive, whereas the katana guy's second phase is a pain in the ass. BTW, I never witnessed the snakes coming from the ground on my first playthrough. They only appeared on NG+.
I always take out the katana guy first through parries or at least attempting to. The last time I did this in NG+ the fireball one was too busy just getting cane smacked into the tombstone that he didn't get around to summoning the snakes.

Nothing in this game is as bullshit as those Anor Lando archers, only thing just as bad is dealing with that cliff with 3 Winter Lanterns on it...and those Bell Maidens with the infinitely respawning spider and there's 2 of them in one room in a chalice dungeon...that's some bull shit...better have high endurance to run from them.
There is no escape from hunter-seeking spiders.

Melchiah

I always take out the katana guy first through parries or at least attempting to. The last time I did this in NG+ the fireball one was too busy just getting cane smacked into the tombstone that he didn't get around to summoning the snakes.

Yeah, and taking him out is the recommended easy strategy.

There's four strategies detailed here:
http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Shadow+of+Yharnam
Interestingly, another method was recommended for NG+, but I did it the same way both times.

...and those Bell Maidens with the infinitely respawning spider and there's 2 of them in one room in a chalice dungeon...that's some bull shit...better have high endurance to run from them.

Ugh, that was brutal. I was Run, Run, Run, Dodge, Run, Run, Jog, Run, Climb Stairs, Dodge, Target 1st Bell Maiden, Attack, Jump Off Ledge, Target 2nd Bell Maiden, Attack, Clear Out Leftovers Who Trailed Me In.

And if my targeting picked up a spider instead of the 1st Bell Maiden, it was pretty much over. And I could not stay on her well enough without targeting for some reason.

I'm about to start on the Defiled Chalice Dungeon now... Looking forward to that...

There is no escape from hunter-seeking spiders.
Yeah I know. I've had them chase me all the way to the boss room, which luckily they get blocked out of it.
Yeah, and taking him out is the recommended easy strategy.

There's four strategies detailed here:
http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Shadow+of+Yharnam
Interestingly, another method was recommended for NG+, but I did it the same way both times.
Yeah I just finished reading those and the way I did it in NG was every bit as effective as it was in NG+ funny enough I only had to use one vial in NG+ to heal, got back so much health from the +300 health Blood Rapture Rune and just smacking the shit out of them with the cane to regain some health after I was hit.
Ugh, that was brutal. I was Run, Run, Run, Dodge, Run, Run, Jog, Run, Climb Stairs, Dodge, Target 1st Bell Maiden, Attack, Jump Off Ledge, Target 2nd Bell Maiden, Attack, Clear Out Leftovers Who Trailed Me In.

And if my targeting picked up a spider instead of the 1st Bell Maiden, it was pretty much over. And I could not stay on her well enough without targeting for some reason.

I'm about to start on the Defiled Chalice Dungeon now... Looking forward to that...
Plus you have to run passed a werewolf to get to that area and there's not a fucking useful thing in there either from what I remember. Have fun in Defiled Chalice and beware of fat sonic in there. Hopefully you have full health cause god damn, the first boss in there is easy though, the last two on the other hand...

neoism

lol wtf i just beat my first playthrough but i
got the slug ending but i did the 3 cord thing and killed the moon boss wtf??

Trainman

Neo Member
After probably entirely too many hours spread over many days I finally beat the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst with my arcane build. Used a fire-gemmed threaded cane+7. Required progressing through Yahar'gul and stumbling upon the tiny tonitrus (a pleasant surprise).

I never want to do that again qq

lol ? wat i thought the "good" ending
was you in the the old mans wheelchair?

Yeah, an eternal life bounded on a dream with no escape with the only company of a doll. Sure it's perfect

There's no real "good" ending, but I think the best one is the one you wake up the next morning.

neoism

Yeah, an eternal life bounded on a dream with no escape with the only company of a doll. Sure it's perfect

There's no real "good" ending, but I think the best one is the one you wake up the next morning.

lol ok i just read about it ima need to read that amazing book that dude wrote. but yeah that was the so called serect ending... man they really need to improve endings in these games... sure hope DS3 is more fleshed out and has more cut scenes.. but still keeping the lore the way its always been.
i have not played in a lot time about 2 months.. man the frame rate is weird after playing batman for so long.. mowing through ng+....
man the dlc need to come out already.. :/

also psn is ne0ism- friend me gonna be playing for the rest of the month... pvp coop or anythang..

lol ? wat i thought the "good" ending
was you in the the old mans wheelchair?
There are no good/bad endings this time. Each ending has good and bad implications though.

Ending A: The hunt has ended for now. Freed from the dream you wake up in Yharnam, free to do as you wish. The hunt will still resume some day, Moon Presence will still recruit hunters through Gehrman to do it's bidding. Nothing has changed essentially, except your freedom of course.

Ending B: The night's about to end and the hunt will end for now, you kill Gehrman and free him from Moon Presence's shackles. But you replace him and loose your freedom. And thus when the night falls again, Moon Presence will recruit more hunters and tie them to the dream through you. The cycle still continues.

Ending C: You've freed Gehrman from Moon Presence's shackles and now he is free. You've killed Moon Presence and thus there won't be anymore dreaming hunters. And now you yourself have become a great one. You're no longer bound by the dream and when you grow up, you could cure the beast scourge with the higher Eldritch knowledge you have of all cosmos.

People consider C to be good since it has more good implications than the rest. But even with C, Oedon still lives and he will continue to impregnate more women and make little Mergos.

You can pick whichever one you want as the proper ending, in the grand scheme of things, the endings makes very little difference.

On endings:
I see the awaken ending as the happiest because it gives the most potential for a positive resolve for your character (while also having the same potential as a negative result). None of the endings give any indication of an improved world, so seeing your character come out well at least gives some hope for him/her.

ramyeon

On endings:
I see the awaken ending as the happiest because it gives the most potential for a positive resolve for your character (while also having the same potential as a negative result). None of the endings give any indication of an improved world, so seeing your character come out well at least gives some hope for him/her.
I disagree.
There are two other Hunters that we meet that have awoken from the dream before us: Djura and Eileen. Things didn't turn out great for them because the hunt will always repeat itself and a hunter will always hunt - just that death next time will be permanent.

This is about more than a good ending on a personals scale - becoming a Great One (And a benevolent one at that - which I believe the trophy specifies) at least gives a chance that the cycle can be broken and things can be changed even if it means you've sacrificed your humanity. And hell, maybe life as a great one is better?

I disagree.
There are two other Hunters that we meet that have awoken from the dream before us: Djura and Eileen. Things didn't turn out great for them because the hunt will always repeat itself and a hunter will always hunt - just that death next time will be permanent.

This is about more than a good ending on a personals scale - becoming a Great One (And a benevolent one at that - which I believe the trophy specifies) at least gives a chance that the cycle can be broken and things can be changed even if it means you've sacrificed your humanity. And hell, maybe life as a great one is better?

I still maintain that whatever they are going through and your awakening in that first ending are completely different things. I think that them no longer being able to dream is a separate think that can happen to hunters, much like undead going hollow and losing their minds in the Souls games. Something that can happen, but doesn't to the playable character no matter how long they play/how many times they die.

ramyeon

I still maintain that whatever they are going through and your awakening in that first ending are completely different things. I think that them no longer being able to dream is a separate think that can happen to hunters, much like undead going hollow and losing their minds in the Souls games. Something that can happen, but doesn't to the playable character no matter how long they play/how many times they die.
Why? It's heavily implied that other Hunters visit are capable of visiting the dream and serving Gerhman and moon presence - their gravestones litter the area and are no different to yours in that ending. You can even hear the Doll talking to a gravestone up near the Insight Bath Messengers during the game.

Eileen's dialogue as she lies wounded outside the Grand Cathedral also suggests that if she dies this time it will be the last as she no longer dreams. Djura also talks about the dream if he kills you, suggesting he knows about reawakening after death.

There's way more hints in game to suggest that they once went through the same thing as you and allowed Gerhman to take their life inside the dream. Very curious to hear the in game hints that suggest otherwise.

The Yharnam Sunrise ending is the most happy on viewing but if you take any time to consider the game's lore and the implications of offering your life to Gerhman then you realize that you e just played into exactly what Moon Presence wants Hunters to do - do its bidding during the night of the hunt and then leave the dream none the wiser, the cycle will just repeat.

Why? It's heavily implied that other Hunters visit are capable of visiting the dream and serving Gerhman and moon presence - their gravestones litter the area. Eileen's dialogue as she lies wounded outside the Grand Cathedral also suggests that if she dies this time it will be the last as she no longer dreams. Djura also talks about the dream if he kills you, suggesting he knows about reawakening after death. There's way more hints in game to suggest that they once went through the same thing as you and allowed Gerhman to take their life inside the dream.

Because it is said that when you awake you will not remember anything, and the scene after awakening isn't of a destroyed city. Both of those hunters clearly remember their time when they could access the Hunter's Dream and details about it. I just think there are other reasons that make it so a hunter can't access the "Dream" anymore, but that is separate from waking up from the nightmare like you do in the first ending. Djura abandoning the path of the hunter could be the reason for him no longer dreaming for instance.

ramyeon

Because it is said that when you awake you will not remember anything, and the scene after awakening isn't of a destroyed city. Both of those hunters clearly remember their time when they could access the Hunter's Dream and details about it. I just think there are other reasons that make it so a hunter can't access the "Dream" anymore, but that is separate from waking up from the nightmare like you do in the first ending. Djura abandoning the path of the hunter could be the reason for him no longer dreaming for instance.
Yes Gehrman says that you will be able to forget the atrocities of the hunt and be free from the dream, but is that really a trustworthy source? He is being directly manipulated by the Moon Presence. I'm not sure what you're implying when you say Yharnam isn't destroyed in the ending? Are you implying that what the character went through in the game is all just reversed? Sounds far fetched to me. We don't see enough of the city to claim it's not still in tatters anyway, we literally only see part of the skyline.

The rest is just conjecture since there's no real suggestion of a Hollowing process that happens to hunters which causes them to stop dreaming anyway. Closest thing would be being blood addled but that doesn't fit either since Djura and Eileen don't seem to be blood addled at all (Unless you don't do Eileen's quest line and then fight her) and the PC can even become blood addled through PVP yet still dreams.

Just finished my All bosses(minus MP)NG+ Gehrman cosplay run.
Had to use the Blades of Mercy on a few bosses though.
That was fun, and a lot quicker than I thought it would be. Other than Ebrietas, every boss was easy especially
Gehrman. Back to back parry is too OP.
Ebrietas' homing laser beams killed me thrice with her having just a sliver of health. Time for BT and BL4 runs.

Man I hate Rom, feels like such a cheap boss. Not even in new game+ and every attack one hits me and so do those damn jumping spiders

Hit and run with a quick weapon is very effective, even in NG+. You can manipulate the spiders a bit by running around and clearing the space between them and Rom. If you have a slow weapon then best kill the spiders as soon as you can.

I disagree.

Considering the fate of pretty much everyone except those two, I would say that Eileen and Djura came out a lot better than most in Yharnam, and there's more of a chance that your player character might not choose the violent paths they did considering his memories were wiped and wouldn't realize how successful his/her career was as a hunter.

Top Bottom