• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

zsswimmer

Just finished my All bosses(minus MP)NG+ Gehrman cosplay run.
Had to use the Blades of Mercy on a few bosses though.
That was fun, and a lot quicker than I thought it would be. Other than Ebrietas, every boss was easy especially
Gehrman. Back to back parry is too OP.
Ebrietas' homing laser beams killed me thrice with her having just a sliver of health. Time for BT and BL4 runs.

Hit and run with a quick weapon is very effective, even in NG+. You can manipulate the spiders a bit by running around and clearing the space between them and Rom. If you have a slow weapon then best kill the spiders as soon as you can.
I'm running a strength build with the kirkhammer, but only using the giant hammer on Rom himself when all the spiders are cleared, and the sword is pretty quick. Its just frustrating since its a long fight and any attack pretty much is a one hit KO. Probably should invest more points in HP since I'm kinda low.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Just finished the game for the first time. Felt a little abrupt as I didn't know about all the different endings.
Do I need to finish the game again on NG+ to see the other endings ?

ramyeon

Considering the fate of pretty much everyone except those two, I would say that Eileen and Djura came out a lot better than most in Yharnam, and there's more of a chance that your player character might not choose the violent paths they did considering his memories were wiped and wouldn't realize how successful his/her career was as a hunter.
I'd be sceptical about whether or not the PC's memory is actually wiped or not considering the only source we have for that is Gehrman's word. It's pretty apparent that his wish (Or rather Moon Presence's wish) is that you submit your life in the dream, of course they're going to make the deal sound sweeter than it actually is.

Assuming that okay, your memory is wiped and you wake up in the middle of Yharnam and your PC goes about life as usual (Ignoring the fact that they seem to have no recollection of who they were before waking in Yharnam after receiving blood ministration at the beginning of the game). The cycle is still going to repeat and the hunt is still going to continue on a regular basis. Considering the themes of the game it's really difficult for me to see that ending as anything but a "Bad" ending as you have basically played into the hands of the Moon Presence and failed in the very first objective you were even given in the game (Transcend the Hunt).

Even if we assume the PC lives happily ever after in that ending (Which I highly doubt), Yharnam is still screwed.

I'm running a strength build with the kirkhammer, but only using the giant hammer on Rom himself when all the spiders are cleared, and the sword is pretty quick. Its just frustrating since its a long fight and any attack pretty much is a one hit KO. Probably should invest more points in HP since I'm kinda low.
Not to be pedantic but Rom is a she. It helps if you use bolt paper as well, also helps if you put on some armor with good Arcane resistance and the rune the decreases some Arcane damage as well.

The fight pretty much forces you to get good with dodging thanks to OHKO Spider pricks. I'd say use the sword against Rom as well when she teleports for the second time since her movements get pretty fast in her third phase and can OHKO you with her body slams. Keeping the camera unlocked and looking up'll help ya out with the meteors.

Yeah raise a few points in vit if you can and if nothing else works I can help you out with the fight if you want, tomorrow though. Gotta sleep. Goodluck. :D

zsswimmer

Not to be pedantic but Rom is a she. It helps if you use bolt paper as well, also helps if you put on some armor with good Arcane resistance and the rune the decreases some Arcane damage as well.

Oh cool, didn't realize that. Rom just reminds me of Ron and that made me think she is a he lol

Well don't leave me hanging :p - whats her story?
"Rom was in fact a scholar of Byrgenwerth who succeeded in transcending humanity to become a great one. The cost however, was that they became a creature that lacks thought (hence vacuous) left to roam the surface of Moonside Lake for eternity." I think I also read somewhere on here that Rom was an infant girl, but I can't find the source of that.
Taken from here I think Ebrietas might have the more horrific lore.

zsswimmer

"Rom was in fact a scholar of Byrgenwerth who succeeded in transcending humanity to become a great one. The cost however, was that they became a creature that lacks thought (hence vacuous) left to roam the surface of Moonside Lake for eternity." I think I also read somewhere on here that Rom was an infant girl, but I can't find the source of that.

That's interesting for sure, I was kinda wondering about the vacuous part so that explains that. Thanks!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What's the source for this claim? This wiki isn't reliable btw.

Yeah that part I read and understand regarding the Miyazaki interview. I guess she's considered an infant great one?

I'm not really sure. She could be considered an infant for being a Great One. Her legs hadn't even grown properly. But as a student she was definitely grown up.
Then again we get Ascended and we are so damn tiny as an infant Great One. Maybe child size varies with different Great Ones.

If anything infants would be associated with
Ebrietas since she's the Orphanage key unlocks the door to her and Celestial Emissary. And there are so many little Celestial larvae crawling around in the Upper Cathedral Ward.

I'm not really sure. She could be considered an infant for being a Great One. Her legs hadn't even grown properly. But as a student she was definitely grown up.
Then again we get Ascended and we are so damn tiny as an infant Great One. Maybe child size varies with different Great Ones.

If anything infants would be associated with
Ebrietas since she's the Orphanage key unlocks the door to her and Celestial Emissary. And there are so many little Celestial larvae crawling around in the Upper Cathedral Ward.
Rom doesn't seem as developed as Ebrietas or Amygdala at all, she's nowhere near as tall either. Nor can she defend herself as well. I do find it interesting that the
celestial larvae don't defend Ebrietas like how those spiders defend Rom. I also find it interesting that those larvae stare at the moon, are they worshiping Moon Presence?

CD thoughts

The two bell maidens summoning spiders hanging out with two werewolves in lower loran layer 2 - I feel so trolled.

Beat Watchdog and Amygdala on Defiled after a few tries and it felt exhilarating. Nothing beats killing a boss after trying a few times and feeling like it's absolutely impossible at first. That watchdog boss is one of the greatest things I've seen in videogames. Brilliant stuff.

I love/hate the metal dudes with curved blades. So good, but absolutely dreadful to face in Defiled dungeons.

On lower Abhorrent Beast now, I think I forgot how to fight this guy...

CD thoughts

The two bell maidens summoning spiders hanging out with two werewolves in lower loran layer 2 - I feel so trolled.

Beat Watchdog and Amygdala on Defiled after a few tries and it felt exhilarating. Nothing beats killing a boss after trying a few times and feeling like it's absolutely impossible at first. That watchdog boss is one of the greatest things I've seen in videogames. Brilliant stuff.

I love/hate the metal dudes with curved blades. So good, but absolutely dreadful to face in Defiled dungeons.

You can dodge through his attacks. That one you really can't cheese too heavily. Hurl a poison knife at him every so often to assist with the damage too. Lower ailing layer 2 is fucking stupid as fuck. It's like "run muthafucka run!!!"

You can dodge through his attacks. That one you really can't cheese too heavily. Hurl a poison knife at him every so often to assist with the damage too. Lower ailing layer 2 is fucking stupid as fuck. It's like "run muthafucka run!!!"

Yeah just got him, just waiting patiently, dodging plenty, and trying to avoid being greedy with hits. He's one of my favorite bosses I think, intimidating and awesome looking, and not a lot of room for error.

I died so many times in that layer 2 room.. Was so sure there had to be something special down there.

Rom doesn't seem as developed as Ebrietas or Amygdala at all, she's nowhere near as tall either. Nor can she defend herself as well. I do find it interesting that the
celestial larvae don't defend Ebrietas like how those spiders defend Rom. I also find it interesting that those larvae stare at the moon, are they worshiping Moon Presence?

Could be two things. 1: Once you're ascended your human age won't equate to your Great One age. Rom's size could be because that's usually the size of a small spider Great Ones. Whatever their family's called.

2. It's got something to do with it being Vacuous.

The Celestial Larvae are actually looking at the Lumen flower Gardens. Most likely at Ebrietas. Once you break the window you'll see 4 larvae and they're all looking towards her. I suppose the Emissary is assigned to the Lumen flower Gardens to prevent anyone getting near Ebrietas and thus protecting her.

My theory is that these larvae are the children of the orphanage turned into celestials by either Iosefka or members of the Choir. They look at Ebrietas maybe because she is a mother figure to them? Not really sure on that part.

Could be two things. 1: Once you're ascended your human age won't equate to your Great One age. Rom's size could be because that's usually the size of a small spider Great Ones. Whatever their family's called.

2. It's got something to do with it being Vacuous.

The Celestial Larvae are actually looking at the Lumen flower Gardens. Most likely at Ebrietas. Once you break the window you'll see 4 larvae and they're all looking towards her. I suppose the Emissary is assigned to the Lumen flower Gardens to prevent anyone getting near Ebrietas and thus protecting her.

My theory is that these larvae are the children of the orphanage turned into celestials by either Iosefka or members of the Choir. They look at Ebrietas maybe because she is a mother figure to them? Not really sure on that part.
But I always thought
Iosefka...well the fake one just turned people into the bubbleheads. If she can turn people into the larvae then why doesn't she in the story? Wouldn't Ebrietas be responsible for turning people into or birthing the larvae since they're only really where she is, like with Rom and her spiders?
Yeah just got him, just waiting patiently, dodging plenty, and trying to avoid being greedy with hits. He's one of my favorite bosses I think, intimidating and awesome looking, and not a lot of room for error.

I died so many times in that layer 2 room.. Was so sure there had to be something special down there.
I have two vids of me fighting that Abhorrent Beast. One where I'm just wailing away at it with the Blades of Mercy and another where I'm being a bit more patient with the Burial Blade...the Blades of Mercy one is so heart breakingly hilarious...

But I always thought
Iosefka...well the fake one just turned people into the bubbleheads. If she can turn people into the larvae then why doesn't she in the story? Wouldn't Ebrietas be responsible for turning people into or birthing the larvae since they're only really where she is, like with Rom and her spiders?

Fake Iosefka bit is the real confusing one. Forgive me if I get tangential with this one. I used to think that Iosefka/choir could convert people into both Celestial beings and larvae surgically, grown ups would become usual bubbleheads and infants would become larvae. But then Arianna gives birth to a larvae.. which throws the whole thing off. So perhaps surgically humans can only be converted into bubbleheads and the larvae are a result of a proper birth.

The thing is, Ebrietas can't birth them. The whole R/K selection thing that Miyazaki talked about with the Great Ones doesn't let them have more than one child apparently, which they lose eventually. That's why they look for surrogates. So where did all these larvae come from? I might be completely offbase but it could be other Yharnamite women through Oedon just like it was with Arianna. The choir kept all these larvae around to please Ebrietas or for other reasons.

Then there's another thing which throws what I said above out the window, Celestial Emissary can summon more bubbleheads out of nowhere. And like you said Rom can summon her Spiders but she's not giving birth to them, so where are they coming from? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fake Iosefka bit is the real confusing one. Forgive me if I get tangential with this one. I used to think that Iosefka/choir could convert people into both Celestial beings and larvae surgically, grown ups would become usual bubbleheads and infants would become larvae. But then Arianna gives birth to a larvae.. which throws the whole thing off. So perhaps surgically humans can only be converted into bubbleheads and the larvae are a result of a proper birth.

The thing is, Ebrietas can't birth them. The whole R/K selection thing that Miyazaki talked about with the Great Ones doesn't let them have more than one child apparently, which they lose eventually. That's why they look for surrogates. So where did all these larvae come from? I might be completely offbase but it could be other Yharnamite women through Oedon just like it was with Arianna. The choir kept all these larvae around to please Ebrietas or for other reasons.

Then there's another thing which throws what I said above out the window, Celestial Emissary can summon more bubbleheads out of nowhere. And like you said Rom can summon her Spiders but she's not giving birth to them, so where are they coming from? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Maybe Ebrietas and Rom act as some sort of teleportation array for these things, like where do the Bell Maidens summon their shit from, they just appear out of the ground from nothing. So Oedon is also another Great One? Does he even have a form? One of the runes is called "Formless Oedon" so maybe he doesn't exactly have a shape...though if that's the case he sounds like some sort of rape ghost.

Remember that you get an "Orphanage key" on Upper Cathedral, the whole place is supposedly an orphanage ran by the choir, which is noting more than a cover for their experiments. All these Larvae are the children of the orphanage, which the choir conducted experiments, probably trying to create a Great One.

That's why false Iosefka goes to the clinic, after running out of vessels for her experiments she goes to the most logical place to get more: the clinic. She almost gives birth to a great one due those experiments, but she ends failling

Not sure about Arianna, common theory says she's a descendant of Cainhurst nobles (you can find her dress on Cainhurst), probably due to her profesion she was already pregnant and due to her descendency and the nightmare influence she gaves birth to a larvae

CD thoughts

This is about right where I'm at currently too. God damn those Bell Bitches!

Well i have finally finished the game the first time. And my god is the lore/story good.

Got the true ending right the first time without knowing anything about multiple endings. From really outdid themselfs after Dark Souls lore.

I think im good for now. Will probably play it again before the DLC comes. But right now i need a break.

So, I played and beat the game a few weeks after it came out. I just jumped back in last week and just started a whole new game rather than New Game plus (just felt like it)

I got a guide with me this time to do some of the extra stuff I missed.

I could use of help or advice on the Cainhurst boss, Martyr something?

I just can't clear that second form alone. Are there any good tactics for getting past this. I'll take cheesing if there is a way. I'm at work wo I can't give my specs but I'm using Hunter's Axe for life. I felt really strong in Cainhurst and didn't have any issues until I got to the boss. I'd rather not grind more but this guy is whooping my ass once he goes to form 2.

I probably should have asked this before buying the game, but oh well, too late now. My controller's trackpad is busted; you can click it as a button, but it doesn't recognize any touches or swipes. Are there any important gameplay functions that can only be accessed by the touchpad?

I've been trying to play blind, but I'd like to know about the consequences of something that just happened. I was in a church-like place in Central Yharnam and I met a dude dressed in all black like the doctors in Assassin's Creed. Apparently he wasn't hostile, but I was so amped up that I attacked him anyway and now whenever I see him, he two-shots me while saying something like "I hope you don't have any dreams." or "Say hi to the little doll for me." With as little spoilers as possible: Is there a guy like Oswald that I can pay to make this guy friendly again, and if not, am I going to be missing anything important with this guy?

So, I played and beat the game a few weeks after it came out. I just jumped back in last week and just started a whole new game rather than New Game plus (just felt like it)

I got a guide with me this time to do some of the extra stuff I missed.

I could use of help or advice on the Cainhurst boss, Martyr something?

I just can't clear that second form alone. Are there any good tactics for getting past this. I'll take cheesing if there is a way. I'm at work wo I can't give my specs but I'm using Hunter's Axe for life. I felt really strong in Cainhurst and didn't have any issues until I got to the boss. I'd rather not grind more but this guy is whooping my ass once he goes to form 2.

Parry, parry and more parry.

His launching from above is probably one of the best moments for that (and quite risky), but if you lose lock on, rolling away is the best option and wait for another chance, also when he sticks his sword to the ground destroy it, unless you want it to constantly spawn projectiles.

Maybe Ebrietas and Rom act as some sort of teleportation array for these things, like where do the Bell Maidens summon their shit from, they just appear out of the ground from nothing. So Oedon is also another Great One? Does he even have a form? One of the runes is called "Formless Oedon" so maybe he doesn't exactly have a shape...though if that's the case he sounds like some sort of rape ghost.

The bell maidens are summoning using Pthumerian magic of some sort, it's the same kind that the beckoning bells possess I suppose. Though someone needs to be ringing on the other end or send some kind of resonance. It makes sense for the humanoid enemies but then no clue on how she's summoning Dogs and Spiders.

And yeah Oedon is a Great One. The cord you get from Ariana states
Every Great One loses its child, and then yearns for a surrogate, and Oedon, the formless Great One, is no different. To think, it was corrupted blood that began this eldritch liaison.
Pretty much why Mergo is formless too. And the Wet Nurse(formless too) could be an ascended human.

Remember that you get an "Orphanage key" on Upper Cathedral, the whole place is supposedly an orphanage ran by the choir, which is noting more than a cover for their experiments. All these Larvae are the children of the orphanage, which the choir conducted experiments, probably trying to create a Great One.
These 'orphans' were made orphans through the church it seems. They took young ones away from Yharnamites. The reason why I said that larvae are more likely born than converted is because so far it there's more evidence of them being born than converted. Like Jaded said, Iosefka only made bubbleheads. Even if you do send the young girl to Ioseka's clinic, she still gets turned into a Bubblehead instead of larvae. It seems like these larvae are the result of 'x' type of Great One mating with humans.
Or it could be that Ioseka wasn't a part of the choir anymore and thus only knew how to convert people into Bubbleheads. The Choir stole infants by the proxy of church hunters and converted them into Larvae.
That's why false Iosefka goes to the clinic, after running out of vessels for her experiments she goes to the most logical place to get more: the clinic. She almost gives birth to a great one due those experiments, but she ends failling
Ya know, if we could've seen what her kid would've looked like, things would be so much clear. Typical Fromsoft, giving us just enough to tease but not enough to get a clear picture.

Not sure about Arianna, common theory says she's a descendant of Cainhurst nobles (you can find her dress on Cainhurst), probably due to her profesion she was already pregnant and due to her descendency and the nightmare influence she gaves birth to a larvae

Yeah I agree with her being a dependent of Cainhurst and I also think that she could've been pregnant before but in very very early stages, and then due to Oedon's interference and the blood moon she gives birth to a larvae. There is a loose evidence that it could've been Oedon who impregnated Ariana: Iosefka pregnancy and her drops when you kill her. Iosefka drops an Oedon Writhe rune if you kill her before the Blood moon and she drops a cord if you kill her after the Blood moon, implying that it was Oedon's doing. The Blood Moon accelerated both Arianna and Iosefka's pregnancy for us to get the cord so quickly. Doesn't make much difference either way I suppose to the idea of the larvae being children.

But the Wet Nurse does have some sort of form...unless that's not it's real form or something. Unless they only really take some sort of battle form to protect something, which is what I'm going to assume the Wet Nurse was doing.

But the Wet Nurse does have some sort of form...unless that's not it's real form or something. Unless they only really take some sort of battle form to protect something, which is what I'm going to assume the Wet Nurse was doing.

Her form is what made me assume she's an ascended great one. A mix between formless Oedon and humans. Either that or like you said she just armed herself to protect Mergo from us, who was in the carriage. You can see that there's nothing inside her armor.

Her form is what made me assume she's an ascended great one. A mix between formless Oedon and humans. Either that or like you said she just armed herself to protect Mergo from us, who was in the carriage. You can see that there's nothing inside her armor.
Maybe their true forms are in another dimension or something like that
...I hope to god some of this stuff gets touched on in the DLC. The nature of the Great Ones is actually pretty interesting.
I mean if something like the Amygdalas are singular yet plural at the same time then maybe that's the case for the Wet Nurse and Oedon.

Maybe their true forms are in another dimension or something like that
...I hope to god some of this stuff gets touched on in the DLC. The nature of the Great Ones is actually pretty interesting.
I mean if something like the Amygdalas are singular yet plural at the same time then maybe that's the case for the Wet Nurse and Oedon.

Yeah it definitely could be. Something un-perceivable by inferior beings like us hunters.
I know right? This is why I love Bloodborne more than the previous souls games. Because of just how cryptic and mesmerizing the lore is. The Great Ones, the dream planes, Pthumerians, eldritch knowledge and everything. It's like gaining insight irl.
Miyazaki really is a Great One for coming up with such intriguing lore. He said in an interview regarding Bloodborne that quite a lot of things left to open interpretation are without a proper canon, even in his head. So whatever interpretation you come up with, as long as it fits the facts with you, is just as valid as anyone else's interpretation.

That could be possible. I always thought that all these multiple appearances are mere projections since you can't hurt them. Your idea of them being singular yet plural sounds a lot more interesting though.

Yeah it definitely could be. Something un-perceivable by inferior beings like us hunters.
I know right? This is why I love Bloodborne more than the previous souls games. Because of just how cryptic and mesmerizing the lore is. The Great Ones, the dream planes, Pthumerians, eldritch knowledge and everything. It's like gaining insight irl.
Miyazaki really is a Great One for coming up with such intriguing lore. He said in an interview regarding Bloodborne that quite a lot of things left to open interpretation are without a proper canon, even in his head. So whatever interpretation you come up with, as long as it fits the facts with you, is just as valid as anyone else's interpretation.

That could be possible. I always thought that all these multiple appearances are mere projections since you can't hurt them. Your idea of them being singular yet plural sounds a lot more interesting though.
Yeah the lore for the game is definitely layered, too bad the lore doesn't effect the root chalices cause the appearances of other hunters being in the root dungeons is really interesting. Like it's multiple hunters finding out about the truth about the great ones and the healing church experiments. I honestly just love the whole from a boss design stand point because the great one bosses are the best looking ones. I wonder if they could top the Ebrietas design and then throw some cryptic ass lore in there just to make you super curious about the whole thing.

KanameYuuki

Alright I'm done with my main char, so Now I'll create a Skill/Bloodtinge, Do you guys have any guides? weapons to get? lvling? routes to proceed within the game? and tips like that, Also, what starting class should I pick.

Heysoos

I just randomly got something about a bell ringing woman has appeared, didn't quite catch the message, right before fighting
Vicar Amelia
. What was that about?

Alright I'm done with my main char, so Now I'll create a Skill/Bloodtinge, Do you guys have any guides? weapons to get? lvling? routes to proceed within the game? and tips like that, Also, what starting class should I pick.
Pick the starting class that puts the most amount of points into skill and bloodtinge, warning you now, you'll probably take a heavy hit in the health department. I started with the cane cause it scales really well with skill. You can either use the Saw Spear after that or Rifle Spear or stick with the cane. After you beat Vicar Amelia you're going to want to beeline it to the forest and go straight to Iosefka's Clinic after that to get access to castle cainhurst and go there before you even finish the woods and get the Evelyn pistol and Reiterpallasch if you want to use that. If you can get a coop partner to assist you with Logarius that would help you get the Chikage which is the key weapon of bloodtinge characters. Depending on your playstyle you can use either the Threaded Cane or Reiterpallash as your backup weapon to the Chikage. You should +10 the Chikage too, that shit hits like a truck.

Deadman

Wandering around the forest, pretty lost, I come across the
shadows of yharnham

I had like 6/7 levels worth of blood on me so it was such a tense fight, but I beat it on the first try. Few games can give that level of satisfaction.

Yeah the lore for the game is definitely layered, too bad the lore doesn't effect the root chalices cause the appearances of other hunters being in the root dungeons is really interesting. Like it's multiple hunters finding out about the truth about the great ones and the healing church experiments. I honestly just love the whole from a boss design stand point because the great one bosses are the best looking ones. I wonder if they could top the Ebrietas design and then throw some cryptic ass lore in there just to make you super curious about the whole thing.

There's still so much left to find, people still find out new stuff. Though the lore here is more cryptic than the older titles. I hope the expansions touch upon the root stuff and chalice lore. Hopefully it'll give a deeper insight into what happened before with the Pthumerians and Byrgenwerth.

You never know. I used to think that From couldn't top Manus and the lore of the Abyss and the cycle of the undead but they did with Bloodborne. I can only imagine the crazy things that would happen in Dark Souls III.

I just randomly got something about a bell ringing woman has appeared, didn't quite catch the message, right before fighting
Vicar Amelia
. What was that about?

That's the bell maiden spawning somewhere nearby. She'll try to beckon sinister hunters. She spawns when you ring your beckoning bell.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh God...so what is the reliable source for the lore then?
Well, obviously Miyazaki himself. The part about Rom being female came from him, so we know it's true. The part about Rom being a former Byrgenweth student or scholar, where does that come from? The wiki doesn't source it. If it's from the same interview, they should have linked it, no? The next bit of lore about enlightenment is purely speculative interpretation on their part and honestly doesn't even make any sense.

Well, obviously Miyazaki himself. The part about Rom being female came from him, so we know it's true. The part about Rom being a former Byrgenweth student or scholar, where does that come from? The wiki doesn't source it. If it's from the same interview, they should have linked it, no? The next bit of lore about enlightenment is purely speculative interpretation on their part and honestly doesn't even make any sense.
I need to read that massive pdf one day.

Not at all. It wasn't that hard even at 120 for me, 168 will be a cakewalk.
I hope this is accurate...funny enough I ended up turning my first skill character into a skill/bloodtinge character in NG+ so hopefully I won't have any kind of short coming since most of my main weapons are +9 now.

Top Bottom