• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Manu

Well, I finally got the Abhorrent Bitch, done with Ailing Loran. Is it me, or does the AB share some attacks and moves with Flamelurker? Anyway, it's dead now.

Next stop, Defiled Chalice. Wish me luck.

Is there any "point" in doing the Isz chalice except for the fun of it (I guess that's reason enough) and possibly getting a root chalice (which I probably won't use)? I have all the stuff I need for Pthumeru Ihyll by now.

Oh well I'm curious to see how it's different, and what the bosses are, so I'll probably do it anyway.

Is there any "point" in doing the Isz chalice except for the fun of it (I guess that's reason enough) and possibly getting a root chalice (which I probably won't use)? I have all the stuff I need for Pthumeru Ihyll by now.

Oh well I'm curious to see how it's different, and what the bosses are, so I'll probably do it anyway.

You only get certain type of gems on Isz, so unless you are a completionist or you actually use some of these gems, you can easily avoid it.

Outside the drops, it's worth checking out just for the aesthetics and last boss. Also easy echoes, I've one opened with all bosses dead just for echoes in case I need 'em for paper or vials.

Melchiah

Outside the drops, it's worth checking out just for the aesthetics and last boss. Also easy echoes, I've one opened with all bosses dead just for echoes in case I need 'em for paper or vials.

Huh, you've already encountered the last boss in Isz,
Ebrietas.
, in the main game.

Zemm

This is weird, look at these stats, can anyone tell me why my saw does about 90 more damage per hit than Ludwig's Blade?

it9nxbDh.jpg

tyQMsAdh.jpg

This is weird, look at these stats, can anyone tell me why my saw does about 90 more damage per hit than Ludwig's Blade?

it9nxbDh.jpg

tyQMsAdh.jpg

I think Ludwig's is technically blunt damage for most of it's attacks (apart from the R2 thrust) and certain enemies are more resistant to that damage type than your Saw's damage.

Your Ludwig's only has a small advantage in damage in *two-handed* form as it is. The one handed form has a .7 damage multiplier so the Saw Cleaver will win out handily.

Zemm

Your Ludwig's only has a small advantage in damage in *two-handed* form as it is. The one handed form has a .7 damage multiplier so the Saw Cleaver will win out handily.

I wish the game would tell me about the multiplier, unless it does and I've missed it? Are there any weapons that will out-damage a saw at the same +9 upgrade?

I wish the game would tell me about the multiplier, unless it does and I've missed it? Are there any weapons that will out-damage a saw at the same +9 upgrade?
Tonitrus will for a Strength or Arcane build except against enemies that resist it. Saw Cleaver is pretty much the definitive top tier weapon, though.

KevinG

Just did the first ending and reset the save from the cloud. When I attempt the second ending, without the cords, do I have to beat
Gehrman
in one try (or if I die, reset the cloud save)?

Just did the first ending and reset the save from the cloud. When I attempt the second ending, without the cords, do I have to beat
Gehrman
in one try (or if I die, reset the cloud save)?

Nope, you can try again just like any other boss.
Same thing for the third ending for
Moon Presence.

ramyeon

Yeah I need to try to play something else so I threw in Dark Souls 2 SOTFS.
That's what I'm playing now too haha. First time playing Souls - I keep forgetting there's no regain.

Congrats on the Platinum - BB was my second platinum I think, first console platinum. I had gotten the God Eater 2 platinum on Vita. Don't usually give a damn about trophies so I appreciate games where the trophies are all tied to interesting content like this.

That's what I'm playing now too haha. First time playing Souls - I keep forgetting there's no regain.

Congrats on the Platinum - BB was my second platinum I think, first console platinum. I had gotten the God Eater 2 platinum on Vita. Don't usually give a damn about trophies so I appreciate games where the trophies are all tied to interesting content like this.
I'm no stranger to Souls, played Demons an Dark 1, but never beat either. This platinum took some serious work but it was fun. As usual I'm gonna play as a female in Dark Souls 2, it's tradition!!

CHC

Christ I just finished the Defiled Chalice. Wow that was infuriating, I actually bloodied my damn knucle when I punched my desk after dying to the Watchdog for the 10 millionth time. Definitely didn't think that one through....

But this game is just so incredible. I couldn't resist diving back in after a long break since reading The Paleblood Hunt. While I do think the chalice dungeons are a blemish on an otherwise absolutely perfect game, I still find myself getting sucked in for hours and hours trying to make headyway towards Queen Yharnam.

Christ I just finished the Defiled Chalice. Wow that was infuriating, I actually bloodied my damn knucle when I punched my desk after dying to the Watchdog for the 10 millionth time. Definitely didn't think that one through....

But this game is just so incredible. I couldn't resist diving back in after a long break since reading The Paleblood Hunt. While I do think the chalice dungeons are a blemish on an otherwise absolutely perfect game, I still find myself getting sucked in for hours and hours trying to make headyway towards Queen Yharnam.
Keep at it man, if I could do it anybody can, plus her music gets good towards her third phase.

ramyeon

I'm no stranger to Souls, played Demons an Dark 1, but never beat either. This platinum took some serious work but it was fun. As usual I'm gonna play as a female in Dark Souls 2, it's tradition!!
I'm running a female in DSII as well. I've been following Neiteio's play through and posting bits and pieces of my own over in his LttP Thread - come join us! I really hope Demon's and DS1 get remasters on the PS4 - at this point that's the only way I'll ever get to play them.

You're past the hardest part - it's smooth sailing from there with a few rough patches with the bosses in Layers 1 & 2 of the Ihyll. Yharnam herself is surprisingly a bit of a pushover though. I personally can't say the Chalice stuff detracted from my experience at all - it was a bit bland since I really loved the main game for its level design. That said the bosses were challenging enough to keep me going and feel like a satisfying addition overall.

I'm running a female in DSII as well. I've been following Neiteio's play through and posting bits and pieces of my own over in his LttP Thread - come join us! I really hope Demon's and DS1 get remasters on the PS4 - at this point that's the only way I'll ever get to play them.
Yeah I should post in there since I'm way late to the party. Game is quite different from Dark 1 and I just got to the point where you can level up at the Emerald Herald. She's cool but she ain't the pancake face lady.

ramyeon

Yeah I should post in there since I'm way late to the party. Game is quite different from Dark 1 and I just got to the point where you can level up at the Emerald Herald. She's cool but she ain't the pancake face lady.
She's also no Doll, that's for sure :(

I miss that voice, it was so calming haha.

"Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world."

CHC

You're past the hardest part - it's smooth sailing from there with a few rough patches with the bosses in Layers 1 & 2 of the Ihyll. Yharnam herself is surprisingly a bit of a pushover though. I personally can't say the Chalice stuff detracted from my experience at all - it was a bit bland since I really loved the main game for its level design. That said the bosses were challenging enough to keep me going and feel like a satisfying addition overall.

Pretty much my feelings on them also. I won't say I had a bad time beating Watchdog and Amygdala in the Defiled Chalice (well maybe got a bit frustrated), I was definitely very engaged and actually jumped up and exclaimed when I finally got the dog down. But overall there is too much chalice content with too little variety. After I finish them I will probably never touch them again on any other characters. I appreciate what From is trying to do but they just feel kind of... whatever.

To me the Souls game are always about careful, meaningful level design and lots of variety, both in enemies and architecture. So the chalice stuff is pretty much just Souls gameplay but with all my favorite elements of the series not present.

Again given that they're optional I'm not gonna shit on 'em too much but I'd still have rather seen From just use all the development time and instead have created like 2 or 3 more main game zones that represent Pthumera, in a more carefully designed and curated way.

Just my thoughts after like 20 hours of chalice crawling!

neoism

yup the paleblood hunt is amazing just finished it today...its nice replaying the game and knowing wtf is going on..i really want to try new weaps on my ng+ but man o man meh plus 10 ludwigs is a beast.. still wish this game had about 10 more weapons... their just seems like too few.. just need like 5 trophies but man the CDs are sooo repetitive..

She's also no Doll, that's for sure :(

I miss that voice, it was so calming haha.

"Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world."
The Doll actually gives a shit about you. So far I think her and the pancake face chick from Demons Souls are the best leveling up vessels.

CHC

yup the paleblood hunt is amazing just finished it today...its nice replaying the game and knowing wtf is going on..i really want to try new weaps on my ng+ but man o man meh plus 10 ludwigs is a beast.. still wish this game had about 10 more weapons... their just seems like too few.. just need like 5 trophies but man the CDs are sooo repetitive..

As for knowing what's going on, I definitely understand and appreciate the whole history of Yharnam, the hunters, the Church, Mensis, Byrgenwerth, etc. But I won't lie, I still find the Doll, Gehrman, the Moon Presence and Mergo to be totally baffling. I'm not really sure if it's even supposed to be figured out in more than a loosely representative / dream-like way?

Also you should try Beast Claw, Stake Driver, or Saw Cleaver if you want a chance of pace. They're all super fun!

someone help me with the pvp in this game

Whats the meta? Where are the best places to invade/duel?

I'm not getting many invasions :/
The bell ringing system is soo bad compared to the soapstone system in Souls games.

Makes me wish that there's an arena in the DLC.

neoism

As for knowing what's going on, I definitely understand and appreciate the whole history of Yharnam, the hunters, the Church, Mensis, Byrgenwerth, etc. But I won't lie, I still find the Doll, Gehrman, the Moon Presence and Mergo to be totally baffling. I'm not really sure if it's even supposed to be figured out in more than a loosely representative / dream-like way?

Also you should try Beast Claw, Stake Driver, or Saw Cleaver if you want a chance of pace. They're all super fun!

yeah ive been wanting to get into the beast claw but i never did the CDs enough to get it ....stake driver looks cool also..i have really low bloodtinge though.. need to start uping that and arcane after i get my strength to 40..
im rockin
V 50
E 30
S 37
Sk 40
B 18
A 20

cant wait to get to the students and really start getting some BEs

KevinG

One frustration I've had with the late game stuff is the forced PVP. I have a hard enough time getting through areas without being invaded, but when I've got my pull of blood echoes (enough to level up a few times) and I get invaded, I literally run to the best place to die so that I have a chance to pick up the blood stain.

I don't want to play offline, as I enjoy the other cooperative aspects.

One frustration I've had with the late game stuff is the forced PVP. I have a hard enough time getting through areas without being invaded, but when I've got my pull of blood echoes (enough to level up a few times) and I get invaded, I literally run to the best place to die so that I have a chance to pick up the blood stain.

At least you are not in dark souls when you are Human, invasion everywhere every 10 seconds

ramyeon

I wish there was more invasions. They're great fun, try to enjoy them and understand that the invader has the odds against them with a whopping 30% less health than you. It's all in good fun. It happens way less in BB than in Dark Souls from what I've seen in DS2 so far.

Manu

Defiled Chalice done. It was hard, but definitely easier than I expected overall.

Hardest boss was Amygdala, I don't think I could've beat him without the 'tail trick' someone posted earlier.

Watchdog was hard because you had to get the timing of his attacks perfect, but other than the dash attack he didn't hit hard and gave plenty of time to heal.

Hardest boss so far imo was Abhorrent Beast, since it was legit hard even with a full life bar.

Onto Isz now. Surprisingly easy so far.

Defiled Chalice done. It was hard, but definitely easier than I expected overall.

Hardest boss was Amygdala, I don't think I could've beat him without the 'tail trick' someone posted earlier.

Watchdog was hard because you had to get the timing of his attacks perfect, but other than the dash attack he didn't hit hard and gave plenty of time to heal.

Hardest boss so far imo was Abhorrent Beast, since it was legit hard even with a full life bar.

Onto Isz now. Surprisingly easy so far.

After defiled Isz is pretty easy, Loran is where you feel you are in NG+

Any Tier 5 CD is already on NG+ levels, in terms of damage and enemy HP. Differences may come on more favourable layouts/enemies or in case of Defiled that while being 4, the 30% HP decrease really hurts.

silva1991

someone help me with the pvp in this game

Whats the meta? Where are the best places to invade/duel?

I'm not getting many invasions :/
The bell ringing system is soo bad compared to the soapstone system in Souls games.

Makes me wish that there's an arena in the DLC.

PVP isn't the best part about this masterpiece sadly.

Ailing Loran? Did it before Defiled.

Try defiled root loran

headless bloodletting beast + half hp = good times

I don't know if bosses there are random or not.

Jombie

For those that have beaten the game at lvl4, what's the best way to deal with Gherman once he goes one-handed? I just can't get the hang of this phase to save my life; I feel like I can beat him if I can get passed this part.

This fight at Waste of Skin goes on way too long for me, and you do such little damage.

Top Bottom