• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

myco666

Does anyone here have the Japanese version of the game?
I'm curious to know if it has English text option or not, I know some games have done that in past (MGSGZ) but I guess it would have been mentioned if it did have them.
Wondering whether to import The Old Hunters collectors edition from there.. As Sony haven't said anything will other countries get the physical version.

Japanese version seems to have only JP text so I would assume TOH will also not include english text. I will probably still get it since I love the game so much.

edit.
Asia version will most likely have english text though so you might want to get that if there will be physical release.

Level 107
Vitality 39
Endurance 29
Strength 30
Arcane 40
Skill 12
Bloodtinge 7

I have a +10 Tonitrus, +6 Ludwig's Holy Blade and +6 Logarius Wheel. I wish I could upgrade these, but damn From made blood stone chunks stupidly rare.

What kind of strategy are you fighting firedog with? It will be hard to hit his head with a tonitrus, so it might be better for you to roll through his bites to his legs and hit them instead. You should have enough time for 2 solid hits before he turns around to face you again.

Kudo

Japanese version seems to have only JP text so I would assume TOH will also not include english text. I will probably still get it since I love the game so much.

edit.
Asia version will most likely have english text though so you might want to get that if there will be physical release.

Can you throw me a link for the Asia version of TOH Collectors? Or do they only get the normal version?
I wish Europe gets some Collectors of it, I got the Nightmare Edition and don't regret one bit. My favourite game.

Level 107
Vitality 39
Endurance 29
Strength 30
Arcane 40
Skill 12
Bloodtinge 7

I have a +10 Tonitrus, +6 Ludwig's Holy Blade and +6 Logarius Wheel. I wish I could upgrade these, but damn From made blood stone chunks stupidly rare.
Your vit is shit bruh. Watchdoge probably one shots you with the charge attack. You might want to go through NG+ to level up, but concentrate on rolling through the head charge attacks to hit the legs cause you don't have the range advantage for the head attacks with the Tonitrus. I mean I've seen a vid where they use "A Call Beyond," but even that person was stupidly leveled.

Persona7

Banned
I couldn't play this game when it came out because the chromatic aberration makes me feel really sick but it seems I can play the game using my computer glasses. The darkness and glasses tint looks really funny though. I can't seem to summon or join any games for some reason.

32 minutes and still no summons...

myco666

Can you throw me a link for the Asia version of TOH Collectors? Or do they only get the normal version?
I wish Europe gets some Collectors of it, I got the Nightmare Edition and don't regret one bit. My favourite game.

Can't find CE version of it either. Only the regural version. Might be JP only like Artorias of Abyss CE was for consoles IIRC. I missed the boat on Nightmare Edition but luckily the CE was good aswell. But yeah the best bet will probably be to get the JP version of TOH CE since it will probably be the only one.

The underground garden type area of the Chalice dungeons is really pretty, but the rest is meh, I can already see why this part of the game has come under criticism. I hope they don't waste time doing more Chalice stuff in the DLC.

There are other unique open areas in later dungeons, most notably (so far for me, early layer 4) one with hanging bridges over a chasm.

After the main cathedral steps, went to the left (your right if facing the cathedral entrance) and got grabbed and transported to two areas - Lecture Hall/Bldg (?! nothing in there... event went back and talked to the guy at the door again.), went into the 2nd area and took Amygdala out.

Soooooo... heeding advice went into the woods and still got lost - but eventually wandered into the three shadows. Wandered into the mansion... Rang the wrong bell (a mistake) and was dragged into the boss fight with Rom(?) and spider things (goddamnnnniit). Blitzed into the cave afterwards towards Iosefka's Clinic and dealt with her.

Went back to the invisible monster blocking the doorway to check things out - he still doesn't know Amygdala is dead. :p

This is the first time I'm wandering aimlessly (wherein Demons/Dark Souls/II, I never felt this way), basically I'm hunting bosses and not finding things that tie them together. The old guy in Hunter's Dream told me to go to the Healing Workshop, after that he's gone. (Probably tending to an apple tree or something). Anyone find their first playthrough a bit disjointed story-wise or I fucked up the order of things?

So I'm off to the bolt-powered dog... if i find it again.

Rom is the next boss you need to defeat to progress the story. It will change quite a few things in fact. You have indeed done things in a very unusual order (Amygdala before Rom? wow) but isn't that the beauty of it? :)

Regarding the story, I didn't particularly find it any more esoteric or disjointed than usual for Souls game... the usual madness. :D And I pretty much always felt like I was wandering and discovering things in the other Souls games, which again is a huge part of the appeal for me.

Fellow Souls fans, I will finally be able to play Bloodborne in the 2nd half of October when I will borrow a PS4 from a friend.

The only Souls game I didn't play and didn't platinum yet.

CANNOT WAIT!!!

Aw yeah, one more of us! High five! Welcome and enjoy your stay. :)

Your vit is shit bruh. Watchdoge probably one shots you with the charge attack. You might want to go through NG+ to level up, but concentrate on rolling through the head charge attacks to hit the legs cause you don't have the range advantage for the head attacks with the Tonitrus. I mean I've seen a vid where they use "A Call Beyond," but even that person was stupidly leveled.

Does NG+ also make chalice dungeons harder, or just the story part of the game?

And yes, the charge attack is one shot. I still have a blood echo farming opportunity in Ailing Loran, so I could increase vitality there if needed.

Does NG+ also make chalice dungeons harder, or just the story part of the game?

And yes, the charge attack is one shot. I still have a blood echo farming opportunity in Ailing Loran, so I could increase vitality there if needed.
Chalices don't scale, they only become harder than what they normally are if you do some whacked out blood ritual thing that increases the difficulty. You should though since they swap out the base enemies for other ones. Have fun fighting the witches of hemwick as a regular enemy and their spawn monsters. Mother of god. But yeah increasing your vit would help and level up the LHB some more if you can, I've never seen anybody go Tonitrus with that thing.

I killed Amelia with my SL4 character, what a great fight. I mashed R1 through her healing as I didn't equip the lloyds talismans equivalent (too good to use?!) After that I went to the Shaded Woods and had a nosey but didn't want to venture too far.

Also started a second character that I am leveling up on and went for the pimp cane/whip which is a great weapon and more my style since my favourite weapons in Souls are rapiers and short swords it fits right into my playstyle. I love the little tap on the ground as you transform it back to a cane, like a boss!

Anyone find their first playthrough a bit disjointed story-wise or I fucked up the order of things?

So I'm off to the bolt-powered dog... if i find it again.
I am finding it a bit disjointed. It seems open and closed all at the same time. Like there will be 3 or 4 ways to go, but they all end in locked doors, so really you're funneled to do the next boss in order to actually progress. It's not particularly a criticism, just an observation of my play so far.

Persona7

Banned
Still no summons...I did invade someone once but the framerate was absolutely terrible. Must have been 10-15 FPS and there was only only me and one other player.

I think I should restart my save file because I finished the first few bosses around launch and haven't touched the game since.

NeoGiff

Whew.

I had started NG+ months ago and never finished it (I got up to Forbidden Woods and stopped). Today, I decided to mess around a bit to get used to the controls again before the DLC comes out, and I ended up smashing my way through Shadow of Yharnam, Rom, The One Reborn, Micolash, and Mergo's Wet Nurse in 3 hours.

I love this game so much. What was supposed to be a quick reintroduction to the game turned into an amazing experience. Now I have a Blood Rock sitting in my inventory to use on one of the new weapons.

With this in mind, do we know exactly when the DLC can be accessed? I know it's said to be about halfway into the game, but I hope killing the Wet Nurse and activating the endgame hasn't locked me out until I get to NG++.

Have fun fighting spaghetti clam face again.
It's weird how descendant and bloodletting beast were both tougher than the queen, but whatevs.

Got the plat and done with chalice dungeons forever
mad.gif

Unless the DLC adds a bunch more with associated trophies fuuuuuuuuck.

It's weird how descendant and bloodletting beast were both tougher than the queen, but whatevs.

mad.gif

Pthumerian Descendant has to be the biggest douche bag in the chalices.

mad.gif

Even though Yharnam Queen wasn't the hardest she was still one of my favorites. The music for her third phase is epic. Descendant is definitely a lesson in parry fishing.
I parried the shit out of him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avu10DSFEXM

Not even hard. It just takes time and patience. If you can't parry, good luck trying to take Descendant down.

I beat him by improvising

Even though Yharnam Queen wasn't the hardest she was still one of my favorites. The music for her third phase is epic. Descendant is definitely a lesson in parry fishing.
I parried the shit out of him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avu10DSFEXM
Yup, I managed to get a couple of parries in during his first phase, but all bets were off when he started using two swords and kept flinging those shits across the room. They hit for a lot and I could not get the parry timing down at that point. Eventually I figured out that you can prevent him from even entering his second phase if you get behind him and get a visceral attack in before he detaches his sword. The fight was much more manageable after that.

Man, I was struggling with these werewolves with mah axe but I decided to try
the torch
and it destroys them :d

I wonder if I'm playing wrong since I pretty much never use the gun.

I killed Amelia with my SL4 character, what a great fight. I mashed R1 through her healing as I didn't equip the lloyds talismans equivalent (too good to use?!) After that I went to the Shaded Woods and had a nosey but didn't want to venture too far.

Also started a second character that I am leveling up on and went for the pimp cane/whip which is a great weapon and more my style since my favourite weapons in Souls are rapiers and short swords it fits right into my playstyle. I love the little tap on the ground as you transform it back to a cane, like a boss!

I am finding it a bit disjointed. It seems open and closed all at the same time. Like there will be 3 or 4 ways to go, but they all end in locked doors, so really you're funneled to do the next boss in order to actually progress. It's not particularly a criticism, just an observation of my play so far.

Pimp cane is the best.

Keep going into Hemwick Charnel Lane (left of Amelia's door). One of my favorite areas, with a great key item at the end of it.

Holy shit what. I was just minding my business farming some blood vials for the
Blood Starved Beast
at the beginning areas when suddenly
at the bridge I thought I had visited before suddenly this new friggin boss appears, Cleric Beast or whatever. He was much easier than Father Whatshisname or BSB doe so maybe he was supposed to be the first boss anyhoo since I actually killed him on my first try lol.

Now I don't know what road I wanna take :lol.

Holy shit what. I was just minding my business farming some blood vials for the
Blood Starved Beast
at the beginning areas when suddenly
at the bridge I thought I had visited before suddenly this new friggin boss appears, Cleric Beast or whatever. He was much easier than Father Whatshisname or BSB doe so maybe he was supposed to be the first boss anyhoo since I actually killed him on my first try lol.

Now I don't know what road I wanna take :lol.

That path is a dead end. Cleric Beast is many players' first boss, and grants you an item that lets you open the gate to the Cathedral Ward area. It's actually optional, but if you don't defeat it you have to enter Cathedral Ward another way.
The other way to enter Cathedral Ward is by going through Old Yharnam and beating BSB, which opens a door near the Cathedral Ward lamp.

One pet peeve of mine that this game unfortunately falls into: when you shop for equipment you can't compare them with the stuff you have.

Few noob questions: can I be liberal with upgrading my weapons? Seems to me the blood shards or whatever ain't really rare but I'd hate to need like a thousand of them suddenly for something important.

If I happen to die to something and shut down the game before collecting my Blood Echoes do they dissapear or does the game save them?

And yay the shop is now full of weapons. Tho I love my axe I'd love to try something new. I did find a Rifle Spear from a corpse but it felt kinda bad :(.

silva1991

One pet peeve of mine that this game unfortunately falls into: when you shop for equipment you can't compare them with the stuff you have.

Few noob questions: can I be liberal with upgrading my weapons? Seems to me the blood shards or whatever ain't really rare but I'd hate to need like a thousand of them suddenly for something important.

If I happen to die to something and shut down the game before collecting my Blood Echoes do they dissapear or does the game save them?

And yay the shop is now full of weapons. Tho I love my axe I'd love to try something new. I did find a Rifle Spear from a corpse but it felt kinda bad :(.

The normal blood/twin shards are easy to farm/but from the two shops in the dream. the later stones for upgrading beyond +6 are very rare, hard to farm and very expensive. so I recommend you to try different weapons before upgrading any of them beyond +6

no the bloodstained won't disappear and will be saved.

Yup, I managed to get a couple of parries in during his first phase, but all bets were off when he started using two swords and kept flinging those shits across the room. They hit for a lot and I could not get the parry timing down at that point. Eventually I figured out that you can prevent him from even entering his second phase if you get behind him and get a visceral attack in before he detaches his sword. The fight was much more manageable after that.
I wish I knew that when I fought him ;_;. I couldn't parry him consistently even if my life depended on it.

Forbidden Woods is fucking me up in all kinds of ways. This is the first area where I've had to resort to blood bullets a couple of times, AND where I keep having to go back to the Hunter's Dream to repair my weapon. Those snake-headed dudes are tough. It's huge too, I just got 2-shot lasered to death by aliens! XD

Soulhouf

Rifle Spear is very useful in PvE. The charged 2H attack in particular trivializes a good chunk of the game.
I always recommend the Saw Cleaver which is probably the best weapon. It has a bonus in attack against most of the bosses in the beginning and some beast type enemies. It's fast, has range, one of the fastest/strongest transformed attacks in the game and the moveset is very versatile. The only thing it's lacking is thrust attacks.

The saw cleaver is magnificent. I used it as main for my 3 play throughs + all of the chalice dungeons and it was still fun and useful to the very end. I'm thinking about starting a new character with different specs just to play around with the other weapons some more.

-Horizon-

I should actually go and finish this game up (I think I'm at the last boss) but with the DLC coming soon, I don't want to replay it again just to get to the point where I can access the new stuff.

Forbidden Woods is fucking me up in all kinds of ways. This is the first area where I've had to resort to blood bullets a couple of times, AND where I keep having to go back to the Hunter's Dream to repair my weapon. Those snake-headed dudes are tough. It's huge too, I just got 2-shot lasered to death by aliens! XD
Were you able to unlock the shortcut? Did you find Iosefka's Clinic? The place is huge, but it's small once you actually know where to go. Still one of my favorite levels though. Laser bobblehead dudes don't like thrust and bolt paper.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Bleh, Martyr logarious you are always such an asshole. Doing a chickage build, got to fuck around with blades of Mercy before it. They're really fun. You can't truly say you don't like a weapon in BB. You fuck around with it, then you discover a few combos, and your like "this weapon is great"

Were you able to unlock the shortcut? Did you find Iosefka's Clinic? The place is huge, but it's small once you actually know where to go. Still one of my favorite levels though. Laser bobblehead dudes don't like thrust and bolt paper.
Yes to the shortcut - I unlocked the lift at the lamp, no to Iosefka's Clinic. I think I know which way it might be (past the swamp/water?) but I got sidetracked in the opposite direction loot hunting, I was fisting a pig when an unseen snakehead decided to give me a hug from behind and releaving me of 70,000 souls. -_-

xPhinehas

So I'm starting my 3rd playthrough after not playing the game for like 4 months and I'm getting wrecked by the Cleric Beast...did they buff him or am I just that rusty?

Edit: Just beat him...I am that rusty...

That's my dude stuck in mid-air for 60 seconds. I was about to take a better shot when 5 seconds after I snapped that he died! I was trying to make a jump which looked 50-50 doable since there are actual jumps in the Woods I thought I'd give it a shot after shooting the big snake-hydra below to death, all for nought. Goodbye 120,000 souls!

I feel like I've explored the whole area, I unlocked a gate that seemed to go to the back of the boss area(?) since I could see a fog door on the opposite side in the distance, I didn't venture in since I had so many souls and I was just exploring not ready to face a boss. Unless the fog door was the exit. This seems to be a thing since I came across Parl this way too, but I haven't been back since - but it also seemed like I entered that boss area just by walking up on it from the back (from the drop off from Hypogean Gaol.

I activated two lifts and it seems like I explored the whole thing but I couldn't find a way back to Iosefka's clinic yet. I just want my souls back! :(

That's my dude stuck in mid-air for 60 seconds. I was about to take a better shot when 5 seconds after I snapped that he died! I was trying to make a jump which looked 50-50 doable since there are actual jumps in the Woods I thought I'd give it a shot after shooting the big snake-hydra below to death, all for nought. Goodbye 120,000 souls!

I feel like I've explored the whole area, I unlocked a gate that seemed to go to the back of the boss area(?) since I could see a fog door on the opposite side in the distance, I didn't venture in since I had so many souls and I was just exploring not ready to face a boss. Unless the fog door was the exit. This seems to be a thing since I came across Parl this way too, but I haven't been back since - but it also seemed like I entered that boss area just by walking up on it from the back (from the drop off from Hypogean Gaol.

I activated two lifts and it seems like I explored the whole thing but I couldn't find a way back to Iosefka's clinic yet. I just want my souls back! :(

Nah you can only get to bosses one way. The door that Paarl guards stays locked until you open it from the side that Paarl is on.

Nah you can only get to bosses one way. The door that Paarl guards stays locked until you open it from the side that Paarl is on.
I was just looking this up on the wiki and read that the way I found Paarl was the correct way.

I guess it's just an adjustment from Souls, where in BB you only get the fog door after the first death. So when I found Paarl and the boss room of the Forbidden Woods, both felt like I'd entered them backwards because it seemed I just stumbled on a huge open space rather than a fog door or a natural entrance, which all the other bosses so far have had. Especially Paarl, that felt really odd and not like going in to a boss fight at all, although I might've got there really early since I was kidnapped in Cathedral Ward right after going back there after BSB, so it felt odd to be straight on to another boss - At that time I didn't know you could avoid going to Hypogean Gaol that early.

I think the poison lake area in Forbidden Woods takes the top spot for "what the hell am I doing here?"

-Giants with insane range that can go through walls.
-Worms that are hard to hit, tank hits like a boss, and flip the camera out if you dare to lock on. And there's a lot of them.
-Of course the area has poison. Like...why wouldn't it?
-Shortcut that takes you to an insight sucker, with totally legit grab attack.

On the plus side, once you grab the items, you never have to go back. Seriously. Don't go back.

silva1991

I think the poison lake area in Forbidden Woods takes the top spot for "what the hell am I doing here?"

-Giants with insane range that can go through walls.
-Worms that are hard to hit, tank hits like a boss, and flip the camera out if you dare to lock on. And there's a lot of them.
-Of course the area has poison. Like...why wouldn't it?
-Shortcut that takes you to an insight sucker, with totally legit grab attack.

On the plus side, once you grab the items, you never have to go back. Seriously. Don't go back.

The point of going there is to either get the key to an optional area or an item that makes you
fight the true final boss.

there is also a high rank rune that is only available there.

Top Bottom