• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

The point of going there is to either get the key to an optional area or an item that makes you
fight the true final boss.

there is also a high rank rune that is only available there.

I know about the shortcut. :) I mean fighting around in the poison area for a couple of items. I'm trying out arcane this playthrough, remembered there being an arcane gem in there, but found out it was a triangle gem that I can't even use on LHB. Guess I'm sticking with the fire gem a while longer.

I think the poison lake area in Forbidden Woods takes the top spot for "what the hell am I doing here?"

-Giants with insane range that can go through walls.
-Worms that are hard to hit, tank hits like a boss, and flip the camera out if you dare to lock on. And there's a lot of them.
-Of course the area has poison. Like...why wouldn't it?
-Shortcut that takes you to an insight sucker, with totally legit grab attack.

On the plus side, once you grab the items, you never have to go back. Seriously. Don't go back.
I was down there for the first time last night and had a tougher time with the snakes than I did the giants! The saw cleaver wasn't doing much but the axe's blunt damage did better damage on both. The snakes got me a couple of times and I had to get my souls off one of the giants, luckily the AI seems to shut off if you lead them into one of the tunnels that they can't pass through so I just cheesed them. The AoE on their ground slam got me a few times though.

Now I tried killing Iosefka which was an exercise in futility since it seems she has infinite blood vials and can just heal away forever!

Melchiah

Yahar'gul is the worst thing ever. I've died here more than in every other area combined.

That, and Mensis with its
frenzy effect
, based on how some of my PSN friends have stopped playing the game around the 5th mandatory boss. I don't think either of them is that hard, although both can certainly be annoying.

I've had surprisingly hard time to beat BSB with my new character. I thought I'd be able to to do it easily, but after few tries I decided to do the same as on the first time; buying the key, getting the BC garp, levelling up, and going to Hemwick first. It's easy to parry during the first half of the fight, but after that it goes awry if I get caught in its poisonous embrace, and the bastard seems to do that jump move more often than before.

Was planning to finish the game this week, but I kind of want to go for the platinum so I started the chalices before going to beat
Mergo's Wet Nurse
. I was following a bit of a guide to see what dungeons I needed to do to get to the boss of the final dungeon, but need to know somethings:
1. I know I need to do the Ailing Loran to get some mats, it seems I will also need to do Lower Loran to get the jelly unless I do NG+ (I do not have the time to be starting a NG+ and trying to get up to DLC ready area). Is this a correct assumption or will it show up in Ailing Loran too?
2. How long will a chalice stay open for?
3. If it closes (I assume this is something server side) will I keep my progress if it needs to generate a new glyph or whatever?
I am stuck on Lower Tuturu 3rd Boss (
Rom
) and don't know if I will beat it and the 4th boss before I am away until November.

Jombie

You can get RJ from Lower Loran or Great Isz, after hearing Ebrietas. Your dungeons will stay open, regardless of online. The only time a dungeon would disappear if you try and use the glyph of a dungeon that has been deleted by the player that created it.

Hikami

That, and Mensis with its
frenzy effect
, based on how some of my PSN friends have stopped playing the game around the 5th mandatory boss. I don't think either of them is that hard, although both can certainly be annoying.
Yeah, just pretty annoying areas. Don't like how they forced me to run through them since I probably missed a bunch of items on the way.
It's nothing but practice for future chalice dungeons, embrace it now.
Damn it

Siegmeyer

Started playing this again last week after (surprisingly) shelving it after one playthrough back at launch. I think I enjoyed it even more on the second run. My first run was blind, so I missed quite a few things - didn't find three
umbilical cords
so never fought
Moon Presence
, and I never found the
Abandoned Old Workshop
either.

Went with a skill build this time, let
Eileen die to Henryk
so I could use a Blades of Mercy build. Was a lot of fun, those things wreck shit pretty good when you have high stamina, although they weren't a great boss weapon, and I missed my fire and bolt paper.

I did a decent amount of Chalices on my first playthrough and got burnt out on them, so after checking the trophy list I decided to go for the Platinum. If I'd known how many more I'd still have to play through I'm not sure I would have done it, but a few hours ago I took down
Pthumerian Queen
! It was a pretty tough journey, the Defiled dungeon in particular. Amygdala and Watchdog of the Old Lords pushed my shit in numerous times, but the final chalice dungeon was a a breeze in comparison. Ended up at SL125, would have been lower but you get so many echoes from those later dungeons I'd run out of things to spend them on.

Uploaded a save just before the
Gehrman fight
with my skill character so I could get the three endings, and the Platinum is now mine!

Was planning to finish the game this week, but I kind of want to go for the platinum so I started the chalices before going to beat
Mergo's Wet Nurse
. I was following a bit of a guide to see what dungeons I needed to do to get to the boss of the final dungeon, but need to know somethings:
1. I know I need to do the Ailing Loran to get some mats, it seems I will also need to do Lower Loran to get the jelly unless I do NG+ (I do not have the time to be starting a NG+ and trying to get up to DLC ready area). Is this a correct assumption or will it show up in Ailing Loran too?

I got the extra Red Jelly from the Great Isz dungeon (there's 2 already in the main game). To get them from Lower Loran you'd neet to fight the Abhorrent Beast and there was a thread in Gaming recently claiming he was the hardest boss ever, so I pussied out and did Great Isz instead. The bosses there were a joke (you only need to fight the first two, the Red Jelly is in a treasure room on the third level).

I'm having problems doing visceral attacks.
I parry an attack and get that whoosh sound indicating I can do it. But then I run up and press R1 and i just end up doing a regular attack.
Is the window for it really small? Does the stick have to be in neutral position when I press R1. Do I have to be practically hugging the enemy?

Also does mashing buttons help yourself break free from grabs? If so which buttons?

One last question about armor: i'm assuming the game encourages constant switching of armor depending on the situation, but for overall general purposes would i just want to have whatever gives me the most physical def?

I honestly hate those worms more than the Brain Trusts (or some say Winter Lanterns), tbh.

Once I knew where the brains were, they weren't so bad. Frenzy still sucks, don't get me wrong, but you can take them out quick if your weapon is upgraded enough. They do drop some really nice gems in NG. Some of the best (cursed) physical ones outside of chalice dungeons if I'm remembering correctly.

The stupid worms are like the pigs and crystal lizards in Dark Souls 2. Most of the challenge is even being able to hit the damn things.

I was down there for the first time last night and had a tougher time with the snakes than I did the giants! The saw cleaver wasn't doing much but the axe's blunt damage did better damage on both. The snakes got me a couple of times and I had to get my souls off one of the giants, luckily the AI seems to shut off if you lead them into one of the tunnels that they can't pass through so I just cheesed them. The AoE on their ground slam got me a few times though.

Now I tried killing
Iosefka
which was an exercise in futility since it seems she has infinite blood vials and can just heal away forever!

Heh, I lured those giants into the first tunnel on my previous playthroughs also, but I wanted to do the area normally this time. Mistake. They are actually easy to circle around and get hits in, but there is so much else going on in that area (worms&poison) that it can be a pain.

I'm having problems doing visceral attacks.
I parry an attack and get that whoosh sound indicating I can do it. But then I run up and press R1 and i just end up doing a regular attack.
Is the window for it really small? Does the stick have to be in neutral position when I press R1. Do I have to be practically hugging the enemy?

Also does mashing buttons help yourself break free from grabs? If so which buttons?

One last question about armor: i'm assuming the game encourages constant switching of armor depending on the situation, but for overall general purposes would i just want to have whatever gives me the most physical def?

You need to be pressing right up on them. Hug them indeed. Even if you get knocked down in the parry attempt, quickly press dodge forward into their loving embrace, then R1 them.

Physical defense is fine most of the time, yes, but the game usually gives you a hint at what you will need for a future boss fight or area. Like if you find some new armor with arcane resist, chances are good you will face something that does arcane damage. I usually just go for what looks best, then change it up if the area is poisonous, has frenzy going on, or if a boss destroys me with whatever type of fire/arcane/bolt attack.

Melchiah

Yeah, just pretty annoying areas. Don't like how they forced me to run through them since I probably missed a bunch of items on the way.

I don't think either of the areas force you to run through them. I managed to search and get all the items from both on the first and NG+ playthroughs. You can also use the frenzy effect to your advantage, and let it kill the enemies. Mensis is actually one of my favorite areas in the game.

I honestly hate those worms more than the Brain Trusts (or some say Winter Lanterns), tbh.

It's easier to hit them with the whip form of the cane, for example.

Ding ding
tumblr_inline_nu61ylFzpo1rmbv1o_540.jpg

I got the extra Red Jelly from the Great Isz dungeon (there's 2 already in the main game). To get them from Lower Loran you'd neet to fight the Abhorrent Beast and there was a thread in Gaming recently claiming he was the hardest boss ever, so I pussied out and did Great Isz instead. The bosses there were a joke (you only need to fight the first two, the Red Jelly is in a treasure room on the third level).

Thanks, I might do that; I'm still scarred from the Abhorrent Beast encounter in the campaign, one with a boss health bar frightens me immensely.

Donos

So i got a mail with a code for a BB theme/design because i have the platinum. Is this just an available theme which is on PSN or something special? (germany) At work so no chance to try it.

unbenanntnrp9g.jpg

KingConan

So i got a mail with a code for a BB theme/design because i have the platinum. Is this just an available theme which is on PSN or something special? (germany) At work so no chance to try it.

unbenanntnrp9g.jpg

I just got the same mail too. It says that this design is exclusive to those who got the Platinum Trophy, couldn't find it in the PS store.

Dak'kon

unbenanntnrp9g.jpg

I just got the same email. It says it's only for those who got the platinum and clicking on the link on the store just brings up a broken link page so I'm guessing it's not on the store at all.

email says: "Only Hunters who have won the Platinum Trophy can garb their home screen in the trappings of the hunt. Congratulations – the Platinum Hunter PlayStation®4 Theme is yours."

Donos

Good idea to reward a theme to platinum players.

Unfortunate it's based on that god awful advert.

the whole trophy system is utterly underused (achievements too although MS introduced something recently i think). Not even a trophy room in home...

No theme in the word is worth me continuing the cursed chalice dungeon. That dog can bite me.

I'm enjoying this arcane character, but I wish FromSoft would just let you use paper of the same element on your weapon. Make it 50% as effective or something if they have to, but it's silly. Go physical damage and you can get the best of both worlds.

Another thing, are visceral attacks semi bugged againts certain creatures or something? I don't remember them failing to trigger as much as now. It's almost hit or miss if they will work on werewolves or those Watchers it seems.

Jamesways

New player, just beat Father G. Should I go with the Saw Cleaver or Saw Spear for a while?

Or hold out upgrade materials for the lightning mace?

New player, just beat Father G. Should I go with the Saw Cleaver or Saw Spear for a while?

Or hold out upgrade materials for the lightning mace?

Both are great weapons, but the cleaver is more strength focused, while the spear is more skill focused. It's up to your build. Spear does have a sweet thrust attack if that's important to you.

There are enough materials to upgrade a few weapons, so don't worry too much about it up to +6. It's the chunks (+6-9) that are the rare ones.

Melchiah

Both are great weapons, but the cleaver is more strength focused, while the spear is more skill focused. It's up to your build. Spear does have a sweet thrust attack if that's important to you.

There are enough materials to upgrade a few weapons, so don't worry too much about it up to +6. It's the chunks (+6-9) that are the rare ones.

That reminds me, that for some reason I played the game through twice without using the thrust, eventhough I used the cane on both times. Oddly enough, I also never used the R1 strike with the whip.

That reminds me, that for some reason I played the game through twice without using the thrust, eventhough I used the cane on both times. Oddly enough, I also never used the R1 strike with the whip.

I like to bait enemies to walk into the thrust. You can use the charge to time it right. The R1 whip has surprisingly good range, and it counts as a serrated weapon for the damage bonus there. I hated it to start with, but once upgraded, it's pretty strong. Great scaling.

Melchiah

I like to bait enemies to walk into the thrust. You can use the charge to time it right. The R1 whip has surprisingly good range, and it counts as a serrated weapon for the damage bonus there. I hated it to start with, but once upgraded, it's pretty strong. Great scaling.

I've been using them both occasionally on the 3rd playthrough. I dunno why I didn't do so on the first two playthroughs.

I just read that a patch removed the stamina penalty for the hand lantern. This is good. I'm actually enjoying running some chalice dungeons this time, but I'm not worried about trophies, so there's that. It still has plenty of stupid stuff (oh boy, a chest with mold in it), but it sure does seem to offer up some nice gems now. Too bad I need arcane/fire/bolt gems and not all these physical ones, but it still makes it feel more worth doing them.

Melchiah

I just read that a patch removed the stamina penalty for the hand lantern. This is good. I'm actually enjoying running some chalice dungeons this time, but I'm not worried about trophies, so there's that. It still has plenty of stupid stuff (oh boy, a chest with mold in it), but it sure does seem to offer up some nice gems now. Too bad I need arcane/fire/bolt gems and not all these physical ones, but it still makes it feel more worth doing them.

I didn't know the stamina penalty had been removed. Thanks for the heads up. Running with the lantern/torch kinda increases the atmosphere slightly.

IIRC, you get different kinds of gems from different dungeons. Root dungeons with fetid, rotted and defiled offerings increase the chances of getting better ones. Although the latter make them a pain in the ass as well. Fextralife's BB pages should have more info about it.

Hikami

Am I maybe under-leveled for chalice dungeons?
I'm at lv 70 and using a +10 LHB. I've done everything else in the game besides the final boss and these ~4 remaining chalice dungeons..

Though if I am under-leveled then I guess I'd have to go grind for blood echoes.. what's a good place for that?

Siegmeyer

I'm at lv 70 and using a +10 LHB. I've done everything else in the game besides the final boss and these ~4 remaining chalice dungeons..

Though if I am under-leveled then I guess I'd have to go grind for blood echoes.. what's a good place for that?

I'd say you are probably underleveled for the later dungeons, yes. You're gonna have a bad time in the defiled dungeon at only lvl 70. The dungeons themselves are far and away the best place to get a ton of echoes. Ailing Loran and 3 Moon runes were my go to. 2 or 3 minutes in there and I could buy a shit ton of vials which I was needing for the Watchdog in the defiled dungeon. Dude fucked me over repeatedly.

That is just about how I was/am, I probably got my last 15 levels in the chalice dungeons though and am now at level 90. Everything has been going into vitality at this point in preparation for Defiled.

I didn't know the stamina penalty had been removed. Thanks for the heads up. Running with the lantern/torch kinda increases the atmosphere slightly.

IIRC, you get different kinds of gems from different dungeons. Root dungeons with fetid, rotted and defiled offerings increase the chances of getting better ones. Although the latter make them a pain in the ass as well. Fextralife's BB pages should have more info about it.

Thanks for the tip. I read where to find more waning gems for starters and killed the boss for the ailing loran chalice...not that I have the materials yet. :) I'm trying to get this guy in good shape before the DLC, stopping before Byrgenwerth since I have no clue when the content will take place.

I ended my first game around level 90-95. The first chalice dungeons shouldn't be so bad, but depth 4-5...yeah, harder stuff. The defiled/cursed dungeon cuts your health in half, so you'll want plenty of vitality, and some +health runes to go with that.
You can get around 60k echo's traveling from Mergo's Loft middle and doing a loop through the black robed enemies and the pigs, if you have some moon runes to equip. There are more places, but that's easy enough.

I'd say you are probably underleveled for the later dungeons, yes. You're gonna have a bad time in the defiled dungeon at only lvl 70. The dungeons themselves are far and away the best place to get a ton of echoes. Ailing Loran and 3 Moon runes were my go to. 2 or 3 minutes in there and I could buy a shit ton of vials which I was needing for the Watchdog in the defiled dungeon. Dude fucked me over repeatedly.

Heh, watchdog was where I stopped playing in April. Two deaths when the boss had a fraction of health, ran out of blood vials, and moved on to other games.

All this chalice dungeon talk made me go back and beat defiled watchdog. No vials left, tiny bit of health, but he died. Damn hands are shaking. 🐕

Top Bottom