• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Dude! I just did and 99% of my playthrough are back! (the sl1 file didn't make it , but who cares?)

I didn't manually put the saves on the ps plus so I have know Idea what's going on

thanx man :D

If you're PS+ it will update save files nightly if the copy on your machine is newer than the copy in the cloud. I believe you have to opt-out per game if you don't want that to occur.

Melchiah

A +10 Chikage will put down many NG+ bosses pretty well, the only ones that gave me a problem so far were Cleric Beast and Vicar Amelia, she handed me my ass so many times that I switched to the cane if I'm not mistaken, battle was fucking crazy when I finally put her ass down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLVav1frB3g
Dat Quistis Trepe she's one of my favorite Final Fantasy women and it seems like she gets no love at all, she'd love the cane, would probably strut into every battle with it.

I really should try that weapon at some point.

Good fight. I bet it was nerve-wracking, as she took all of your blood vials. Those kind of fights are all the more satisfying to win. I've noticed that it's easier to beat (and stagger) VA with the cane form. All the other large beasts get the whip from me.

Yeah, Quistis is my favorite FF girl as well, along with Lulu.

On a side note, it's really easy to level up the character in the beginning, when death isn't such a frequent visitor. I first opened the short cut back to the lantern in Central Yharnam, and used all those echoes to stack up on blood vials and bullets. Then I went to the sewers, grabbed the hunter gear from there, and bought molotovs and other supplies. I also upgraded the weapon to +2 with all the shards I had found. After CB I managed to raise seven levels with the echoes, and about ten coldblood dews I had in stock.

myco666

Is there a way of setting up Molotovs so I don't have to go into a menu? I'm sure there is, I'm just not getting it.

The last row when pressing the touchpad is your quick item select and you can assign them there. You use them bu pressing square and scroll through them with down on d-pad. Unless you meant something else.

RiverBed

Banned
Got the game a few days ago and I've been binge-playing it. A few Qs if anyone can help:

If I get rid of Insights, would the game get easier? I'm at the Nightmare of Mensis (final stage); it's hard and nobody is appearing to help me in that stage. :(

I'm solely using the saw cleaver deafult weapon. Is the hammer or ax worth it for bosses and advanced enemies (or another weapon)? I got my cleaver stat full and I focus on blunt strength.

What is this beast mode and how useful is it?

I spared patches (the spider guy); how can he sell me stuff? Went back to the same room I first met him and he isn't open for business yet.

------------------------
I really need all the help I can get. It's getting frustrating at the end-especially when I ran out of blood viles. Now I have to farm Central Yharnam constantly before each go. The price of one of those is 750...

deim0s

Cracked open my copy and going in blind.

Christ! This game! The atmosphere of Demon's Souls is here indeed.

I picked the vet and leveled up a bit to 17 and got past Father Gascoigne(?). Am successful so far until I got pelted by that fucker at the rooftop. :/

I really should try that weapon at some point.

Good fight. I bet it was nerve-wracking, as she took all of your blood vials. Those kind of fights are all the more satisfying to win. I've noticed that it's easier to beat (and stagger) VA with the cane form. All the other large beasts get the whip from me.

Yeah, Quistis is my favorite FF girl as well, along with Lulu.

On a side note, it's really easy to level up the character in the beginning, when death isn't such a frequent visitor. I first opened the short cut back to the lantern in Central Yharnam, and used all those echoes to stack up on blood vials and bullets. Then I went to the sewers, grabbed the hunter gear from there, and bought molotovs and other supplies. I also upgraded the weapon to +2 with all the shards I had found. After CB I managed to raise seven levels with the echoes, and about ten coldblood dews I had in stock.
Dude I have a fight with the first form of Abhorrent Beast and I'm pretty sure I made him look easy. I'd link to it but I can't. Chikage is quite the fun weapon. I really need to get back to that playthrough but not until the DLC comes out. Yeah that Vicar fight had my blood pumping, I think I was shaking after that one. I always play VIII with Quistis and Rinoa, I just can't not use Quistis. The way she enters battle cracking that whip, god damn.

Got the game a few days ago and I've been binge-playing it. A few Qs if anyone can help:

If I get rid of Insights, would the game get easier? I'm at the Nightmare of Mensis (final stage); it's hard and nobody is appearing to help me in that stage. :(

I'm solely using the saw cleaver deafult weapon. Is the hammer or ax worth it for bosses and advanced enemies (or another weapon)? I got my cleaver stat full and I focus on blunt strength.

What is this beast mode and how useful is it?

I spared patches (the spider guy); how can he sell me stuff? Went back to the same room I first met him and he isn't open for business yet.

------------------------
I really need all the help I can get. It's getting frustrating at the end-especially when I ran out of blood viles. Now I have to farm Central Yharnam constantly before each go. The price of one of those is 750...

- A bit, the less insight the more Frenzy resistance you'll have, but is not like getting rid of all of it will help that much. If you want to do it still, try to buy all the gear from the insight bath messengers on hunter's dream.

- The hammer is a very good weapon for a STR build, depending of your stats you might want to try it. That said, all weapons are viable against all bosses, yeah, some weapons are better than others for certain enemies, but it comes down to a choice of playstyle, what weapon you feel more comfortable, also depends of what stats you have, obviously. Even if you really like the cane, you won't get that far if you focused on leveling STR...

- Basically the more you build up the Beast meter, the more damage you do. But you have to constantly hit the enemy to build up the meter (and one of the beast pills to increase the meter even faster). It can be certainly useful with your current weapon. Also you need low insight, since low insight increases beasthood, which in turn makes building the beast meter faster.

- Patches don't sell any stuff on the main game, you already got all you can from him (the item he gives you for sparing him). He can appear as a merchant on chalice dungeons, but he sells the same stuff as bath messengers but way more pricey.

deim0s

Quick question re: blood gems, got quite a few early on. Should I use them as I get them? Are they permanentl permanent or will I lose them if I try another?

Is Vicar Amelia supposed to be this ridiculously difficult? Can't stop dying to her. I had an easier time with Ornstein and Smough from Dark Souls, for crying out loud! Any tips on killing her?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The chalice dungeons are pretty boring. I'm trying to get to
Yharnam queen
and I'm kind of hating every second of it haha. :| The dungeons themselves are not particularly hard, they're just boring and a huge drag. Most of the bosses so far have been fun, it's just a huge drag.
This is how I feel too. I'd play the shit out of a boss rush mode, haha

Is Vicar Amelia supposed to be this ridiculously difficult? Can't stop dying to her. I had an easier time with Ornstein and Smough from Dark Souls, for crying out loud! Any tips on killing her?

Staying on her side and hitting her arms and legs usually works for me. I wouldn't advice going behind her because her fur makes it hard to see back there and you definitely don't want to be in front of her. Equip numbing mists, and throw one at her if she tries to heal.

Tactics18

Make sure your character/weapon are sufficiently levelled. On my first play through I tried killing her at around level 20, I was stuck for hours.
If you can, use one of the saw weapons. They have 20% bonus damage against beasts (only in their short form I believe).
Also try to do some fire damage, either with molotovs or fire paper.

Melchiah

Dude I have a fight with the first form of Abhorrent Beast and I'm pretty sure I made him look easy. I'd link to it but I can't. Chikage is quite the fun weapon. I really need to get back to that playthrough but not until the DLC comes out. Yeah that Vicar fight had my blood pumping, I think I was shaking after that one. I always play VIII with Quistis and Rinoa, I just can't not use Quistis. The way she enters battle cracking that whip, god damn.

Never beat AB hand to hand myself.

That's my go-to team in FFVIII as well, Lulu and Yuna in FFX.

Hikami

Just got the game, couldn't wait however many months it was for that expanded edition.
Shame I can't play yet though since there's a 2.75GB update file and PSN is so slow today.

Anyways, first time I'll be going in "blind" for one of these games.. should be interesting. Haven't seen much besides the trailers, unlike where in Dark Souls 1 and 2 I watched a ton of stuff before getting the games.

Just got the game, couldn't wait however many months it was for that expanded edition.
Shame I can't play yet though since there's a 2.75GB update file and PSN is so slow today.

Anyways, first time I'll be going in "blind" for one of these games.. should be interesting. Haven't seen much besides the trailers, unlike where in Dark Souls 1 and 2 I watched a ton of stuff before getting the games.

You are in for an amazing ride. I'm jelly.

I'm just starting this on my brother's PS4 and I can't seem to connect online in the game. It says it can't verify my PSN plus.

I'm not sure why it's doing that. My brother has plus and I connected yesterday.

Yes, a simple tip: don't fight her yet, if you just found her. Instead, exhaust all other content available to you: complete Old Yahrnam, Hemwick Charnel Lane, visit Hypogean Gaol and the Old Workshop, and finish the first few chalice dungeons. You'll need to kill the Blood Starved Beast in Old Yahrnam for all of the except the first two, so start there if you haven't.

Hikami

Just beat the first boss on my second try. Thoughts so far; loving the game. I thought going from DS2:Sotfs (60fps) to this being 30fps would be a huge problem.. It was jarring at first but I got used to it pretty quick thankfully.

Only problem I have really is that the game makes my PS4 sound like it's taking off.
I'm just starting this on my brother's PS4 and I can't seem to connect online in the game. It says it can't verify my PSN plus.

I'm not sure why it's doing that. My brother has plus and I connected yesterday.
PSN was (or still is?) down, couldn't connect online either.

RiverBed

Banned
Yeah, PSN was down due to maintenance.

I accidentally fought Eileen because I thought she was hostile. Later, I met her again and we had to fight. I killed her but didn't get the Hunter rune.

Can you ONLY get her rune if you finish her story line?

Finally, after 23 attempts, Vicar Amelia has fallen. Now it's all dark, and I don't know where to go. What a lovely reward.

Staying on her side and hitting her arms and legs usually works for me. I wouldn't advice going behind her because her fur makes it hard to see back there and you definitely don't want to be in front of her. Equip numbing mists, and throw one at her if she tries to heal.

Thanks very much, this definitely helped. Especially the part about numbing mists, which shortened the fight considerably.

Make sure your character/weapon are sufficiently levelled. On my first play through I tried killing her at around level 20, I was stuck for hours.
If you can, use one of the saw weapons. They have 20% bonus damage against beasts (only in their short form I believe).
Also try to do some fire damage, either with molotovs or fire paper.

Yeah, I... Actually kinda became pretty overleveled, tbh. I was so annoyed, I just had to. And yup, used fire damage stuff which really helped.

That's the only boss I had to co-op to beat. Good luck!

I don't blame ya. She's nasty as hell.

Yes, a simple tip: don't fight her yet, if you just found her. Instead, exhaust all other content available to you: complete Old Yahrnam, Hemwick Charnel Lane, visit Hypogean Gaol and the Old Workshop, and finish the first few chalice dungeons. You'll need to kill the Blood Starved Beast in Old Yahrnam for all of the except the first two, so start there if you haven't.

I did most of that, except for Hemwick Charnel Lane, which I did after you pointed it out for me. Killed some witch (witches?) or something, which was by far and away the easiest boss in any FromSoftware game ever, IMO. Then I was able to beat the boss much easier with the help of some rune things that I unlocked previously!

Yeah, PSN was down due to maintenance.

I accidentally fought Eileen because I thought she was hostile. Later, I met her again and we had to fight. I killed her but didn't get the Hunter rune.

Can you ONLY get her rune if you finish her story line?
Yes. You can only get her weapon and hunter garb if you kill her.

Jabraham

So im really enjoying the game atm puting quite a lot time into it. Maining the saw cleaver and have been using the secondary slot for any other weapon i find. The early game bosses i had no problem beating within the first few tries up until vicar amelia which took a couple of sessions for me to beat her. Im now at The Yharnam Shadows and jesus christ it feels like im banging my head against a brick wall, can anyone give me some tips on how to beat them? Otherwise i may go crazy.

I'm kind of flitting all over the place in this game, not quite sure which way to go, and not that concerned with 'correct' path.

I got
kindnapped by the bag man
fought my way out and ended up from a drop off straight in to a boss lair
Parl
which I felt woefully unprepared for given I didn't know there was a boss there (I saw *something* like a mass on the ground from a distance, I knew it wasn't going to be good news). These bag guys hit like a fucking truck for a SL4 character, 1 hit kill basically and they have loads of HP at least with my puney +3 saw cleaver and axe. But they are the first enemy I found that drops twin shards, so I farmed a little.

Then I found
the real house from the hunter's dream
which was a cool find, I like little drop-off puzzles. And I also ended up from down there at the Cathedral Ward with a previously locked gate and what I think is the
Vicar Amelia
boss room whcih I know I am not prepared for, there's more to explore the opposite way and around each side of that boss door - one led to a courtyard with an NPC fight who immediately whipped out bolt paper I ran away from, and the other way led to a forest and Hemwick Charnel Lane lantern, which I lit and then backtracked because it felt like I was coming through that area backwards maybe(?)

So I went and did the Cleric Beast finally which was an absolute cakewalk now I have a +4 weapon and didn't lock on at all except for a couple of headshots. So now I have another way to go. Very open ended, but I feel under-upgraded (as opposed to underleveled because I'm not leveling) for most of the paths ahead of me. I haven't found a decent supply of twin shards yet other than the bag enemies and they take a lot of cheese to kill (I haven't tried parrying them).

edit - Oh, the Cleric Beast is a dead end. I thought there might be another path from there.

Giever

So im really enjoying the game atm puting quite a lot time into it. Maining the saw cleaver and have been using the secondary slot for any other weapon i find. The early game bosses i had no problem beating within the first few tries up until vicar amelia which took a couple of sessions for me to beat her. Im now at The Yharnam Shadows and jesus christ it feels like im banging my head against a brick wall, can anyone give me some tips on how to beat them? Otherwise i may go crazy.

All I can really say is try to be patient and wait for safe openings to get a few hits in before mad dashing out of there. It's a clusterfuck of a boss. You could always summon, but I assume you're trying to avoid having to.

May be helpful to go after the long-distance fire guy first.

I find that attacking the fire throwing guy first is the best way, keep using the terrain to your advantage to gain some distance from the katana guys. Use the pillar/giant tombstone to block fireballs and let the 2 melee guys come closer and then run to the fireball guy and get a few hits, rinse and repeat.

Go co-op if you really have trouble, nothing wrong with that.

I'm kind of flitting all over the place in this game, not quite sure which way to go, and not that concerned with 'correct' path.

I got
kindnapped by the bag man
fought my way out and ended up from a drop off straight in to a boss lair
Parl
which I felt woefully unprepared for given I didn't know there was a boss there (I saw *something* like a mass on the ground from a distance, I knew it wasn't going to be good news). These bag guys hit like a fucking truck for a SL4 character, 1 hit kill basically and they have loads of HP at least with my puney +3 saw cleaver and axe. But they are the first enemy I found that drops twin shards, so I farmed a little.

Then I found
the real house from the hunter's dream
which was a cool find, I like little drop-off puzzles. And I also ended up from down there at the Cathedral Ward with a previously locked gate and what I think is the
Vicar Amelia
boss room whcih I know I am not prepared for, there's more to explore the opposite way and around each side of that boss door - one led to a courtyard with an NPC fight who immediately whipped out bolt paper I ran away from, and the other way led to a forest and Hemwick Charnel Lane lantern, which I lit and then backtracked because it felt like I was coming through that area backwards maybe(?)

So I went and did the Cleric Beast finally which was an absolute cakewalk now I have a +4 weapon and didn't lock on at all except for a couple of headshots. So now I have another way to go. Very open ended, but I feel under-upgraded (as opposed to underleveled because I'm not leveling) for most of the paths ahead of me. I haven't found a decent supply of twin shards yet other than the bag enemies and they take a lot of cheese to kill (I haven't tried parrying them).

edit - Oh, the Cleric Beast is a dead end. I thought there might be another path from there.

Keep going forward the Hemwick Charnel Lane, the area is not that hard and you find upgrade blood crystals that most likely will put your weapon to +5/6.

Keep going forward the Hemwick Charnel Lane, the area is not that hard and you find upgrade blood crystals that most likely will put your weapon to +5/6.
OK cool, is that the 'right' direction to approach that area from? I had the feeling that I was coming to it backwards coming from the direction of the Vicar Amelia boss doors.

I had a few tries at Amelia and got her down to 50% - what a great boss fight. The design wasn't a surprise to me - I've watched most of the game by now, but fighting her is a classic Souls heart-pumping fight. These are the type of bosses I like where they have a clear moveset and it's just using your wits to pick your moments and observe what move she's doing.

RiverBed

Banned
Yes. You can only get her weapon and hunter garb if you kill her.
No, I mean the 4th rune that has to be one of the three schools/churches/ways. Hunter, executioner and vileblood (I think).

Fuck, just accidentally ended the game without backtracking a little (missed the castle boss and killing the
eye brain great one
thing. Ugh! I really don't want to go through those nightmare bullshit levels...

Also, I want the ending with all the umbilical cords eaten, but it's a drag. I couldn't finish any of the NPC side quests or even trigger most of them. I accidentally fought Eileen and killed willem on first sight thinking they are hostiles. I'll behave better now.

As for story, I am with Willem's way, but I can't switch statis to his type of player since leveling is so expensive and I don't want to start a new weakling character...
Looks like I'll be replaying the game with the exact same stats, armor and weapon. :/

Manu

As for story, I am with Willem's way, but I can't switch statis to his type of player since leveling is so expensive and I don't want to start a new weakling character...
Looks like I'll be replaying the game with the exact same stats, armor and weapon. :/

My suggestion: do the Chalice dungeons. By the time you're done with them you'll breeze through NG+

silva1991

Fuck Gherman, I just can't beat him at lv1.

So, what do i exactly need to do to find and kill
pthumerian queen
and get the trophy?

You beat certain dungeons to get to her dungeon in the end. I forgot the names and the order but it's all there on the wiki. first go to the queen page to see what she is in and then go to the dungeon page to see what dungeon you need to beat.

OK cool, is that the 'right' direction to approach that area from? I had the feeling that I was coming to it backwards coming from the direction of the Vicar Amelia boss doors.

I had a few tries at Amelia and got her down to 50% - what a great boss fight. The design wasn't a surprise to me - I've watched most of the game by now, but fighting her is a classic Souls heart-pumping fight. These are the type of bosses I like where they have a clear moveset and it's just using your wits to pick your moments and observe what move she's doing.

Yes, that's the right direction.

Jabraham

All I can really say is try to be patient and wait for safe openings to get a few hits in before mad dashing out of there. It's a clusterfuck of a boss. You could always summon, but I assume you're trying to avoid having to.

May be helpful to go after the long-distance fire guy first.

I find that attacking the fire throwing guy first is the best way, keep using the terrain to your advantage to gain some distance from the katana guys. Use the pillar/giant tombstone to block fireballs and let the 2 melee guys come closer and then run to the fireball guy and get a few hits, rinse and repeat.

Go co-op if you really have trouble, nothing wrong with that.

Trying to avoid co-op for the most part (brought someone in to fight Ornstein and Smough in DS1 who managed to defeat them in a couple of hits which soured me on the idea feels like im cheating a bit, dont get that satisfaction either). Managed to kill two of the bastards with only the melee guy left, got him down to about a quarter of his life bar when a giant fucking snake killed me. Going to try again in the morning but these guys are frustratingly hard.

Thanks for the advice dudes as well.

To me she is much harder than Gherman, and I can't beat him so no I don't have the motivation to get to fight her lol.

What kind of runes are you using? For my level 4 run, I equipped all the visceral attack runes, the ones that restore bullets, health, and up the power of a visceral attack. That way if you parry and visceral him a bunch, you can save bullets and vials. I found that fight really long at BL4, so it's helpful to be able to replenish health and bullets.

Parrying these idiots help a lot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQs3mXN9ObE
Even on NG+ they're not that much of a challenge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo46JJ1O-fk

silva1991

What kind of runes are you using? For my level 4 run, I equipped all the visceral attack runes, the ones that restore bullets, health, and up the power of a visceral attack. That way if you parry and visceral him a bunch, you can save bullets and vials. I found that fight really long at BL4, so it's helpful to be able to replenish health and bullets.

I equipped 1 clawmark rune. I wanted to get the other one but I don't feel like fighting the 3 hunters for it. where do we get the rune that restores bullets?

I want to Platinum the game and at the moment i don't have an internet connection, it's so frustrating... Why can't i see My trophy list when i'm offline? Uff...

I equipped 1 clawmark rune. I wanted to get the other one but I don't feel like fighting the 3 hunters for it. where do we get the rune that restores bullets?

You can get a version that restores one bullet if you kill Adella, and one that restores two bullets if you kill Iosefka before the blood moon. Anything better is found in the chalice dungeons I think.

Top Bottom