• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

deim0s

So I beat a couple of bosses already: Cleric, FG, Vicar, Witches, Gatling-gun Hunter(?). So I'm going to need some hints where to go next...

Am in the Forbidden Woods at the moment. Is it that long - seems I'm running around the area for hours till I reached the area with two giant snakes!? Lost 60k in the process to the ton of little snakes hiding just behind it! :p

Hypogaean gaol (the one with two giant boars) both gates outside are still closed.

The plague doctor/hunter at the Cathedral Ward says a prey on Odeon's tomb(?)... but iirc that's where FG was.

Finished one chalice dungeon, does it really go three levels down I thought it was five?

About the stats, the four boxes where you assing runes, the last one looks like a moon - what's it for?

Just got the game, couldn't wait however many months it was for that expanded edition.
Shame I can't play yet though since there's a 2.75GB update file and PSN is so slow today.

Anyways, first time I'll be going in "blind" for one of these games.. should be interesting. Haven't seen much besides the trailers, unlike where in Dark Souls 1 and 2 I watched a ton of stuff before getting the games.

Same here, got the game for a long while, total media blackout on this one - having so much fun
dying, again, again
and
again

silva1991

So I beat a couple of bosses already: Cleric, FG, Vicar, Witches, Gatling-gun Hunter(?). So I'm going to need some hints where to go next...

Am in the Forbidden Woods at the moment. Is it that long - seems I'm running around the area for hours till I reached the area with two giant snakes!? Lost 60k in the process to the ton of little snakes hiding just behind it! :p

Hypogaean gaol (the one with two giant boars) both gates outside are still closed.

The plague doctor/hunter at the Cathedral Ward says a prey on Odeon's tomb(?)... but iirc that's where FG was.

Finished one chalice dungeon, does it really go three levels down I thought it was five?

About the stats, the four boxes where you assing runes, the last one looks like a moon - what's it for?

Same here, got the game for a long while, total media blackout on this one - having so much fun
dying, again, again
and
again

The shortcut to the lamp is very close to the second snake guy.

yeah it's where you fought FG, go check it out.

the last rune is covenets rune.

I finally got Danganronpa AE and MGSV out of my plate and have decided to start Bloodborne after it sitting on the shelf since release. Question is do I want to play the game in offline or online mode as a first time player?

I finally got Danganronpa AE and MGSV out of my plate and have decided to start Bloodborne after it sitting on the shelf since release. Question is do I want to play the game in offline or online mode as a first time player?
It depends if you want to co-op imo. I just started playing myself and I like to do a Souls game 100% offline my first playthrough, but that's me.

Bouniter

Ummm the lady with her prey at Tomb of Odeon is gone! Visiting the tomb yields nothing...

I'm afraid defeating Vicar Amelia is a trigger to cancel that particular fight and then also the next fight in Eileen The Crows quest line. The next time you meet her she may not be so friendly.

As to where to go next straight through the forbidden woods.

Codiox

So how is bloodborne these days? Tempted to buy it but at release there where things like heavy loading times and framerate was shit (at least what I read).

How is it now post patch?

Bouniter

I've tried but it won't work from my phone...

If your using an android phone (don't know about windows or ios) the official Playstation app can be used to see your trophies. bare in mind you would still need to sync your trophies for any of your newly unlocked ones to come up, though I imagine this would have been the same with Psnprofiles.

Horns

Having some trouble currently with Amelia Vicars. I'm distracting myself with other stuff at the moment, but it looks like in order to progress, I'll need to beat her.

Does lowering insight affect boss battles? I'm also considering restarting my Plus membership in order to summon. I tried the fire paper strategy, but only have 1 left now. Any other ideas?

Having some trouble currently with Amelia Vicars. I'm distracting myself with other stuff at the moment, but it looks like in order to progress, I'll need to beat her.

Does lowering insight affect boss battles? I'm also considering restarting my Plus membership in order to summon. I tried the fire paper strategy, but only have 1 left now. Any other ideas?

Are you using the saw cleaver? It has a bonus damage on beasts

Regarding your yet unanswered questions:
1) Forbidden woods is the way to go, it's quite long and twisting indeed but there should be a few lamps along the way.
2) Hypogaean Gaol has a boss in it, though it's quite a tough one.
3) Chalice dungeons have a variable number of floors (starting at 3), each with a boss, but each dungeon itself (all n floors of it) belongs to a "layer" which is like a difficulty number, of which there are indeed 5. So you have several layer 1 dungeons (the easiest) with 3 floors each, several layer 2 dungeons, and so on. I was somewhat confused by all the talk of floors and layers at first. :)

Here's my earlier post for someone who was also stuck there, see if it helps:

Yes, a simple tip: don't fight her yet, if you just found her. Instead, exhaust all other content available to you: complete Old Yahrnam, Hemwick Charnel Lane, visit Hypogean Gaol and the Old Workshop, and finish the first few chalice dungeons. You'll need to kill the Blood Starved Beast in Old Yahrnam for all of the except the first two, so start there if you haven't.

Horns

Are you using the saw cleaver? It has a bonus damage on beasts

I have it, but haven't tried it against her yet. Will give it a shot.

Here's my earlier post for someone who was also stuck there, see if it helps:

This is good advice. After getting frustrated, I stumbled on Hypogean Gaol by accident and am making my way through it now. I googled "Old Workshop" and realized I've been going right by it at the Cathedral Ward without knowing it was there.

Giever

There are very few parts in the game where you can get actively invaded w/o trying to be or trying to summon someone else for help. So if that's what you're worried about, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Plus, you can always switch to offline later if you want to.

The messages are fun and can be helpful, plus it's nice to leave some of your own. For that reason alone I find it more fun to play online. Also, you can help someone else with a boss to get some practice & "free" echoes.

If your using an android phone (don't know about windows or ios) the official Playstation app can be used to see your trophies. bare in mind you would still need to sync your trophies for any of your newly unlocked ones to come up, though I imagine this would have been the same with Psnprofiles.

I've decided to look at my share pics (as every time you obtain a trophy it save a pic of it) and made a list... And now i'm worried. I have noticed that i don't have the shot for the isz chalice trophy, i only have the ebrietas one. I'm now worried that i didn't get the trophy and it's a bugged trophy. Does anyone knows if the trophy it's bugged? Is it possible that the console didn't take a pic? I'm pretty sure i haven't deleted any shot. Hopefully tomorrow i'll have my connection back.

Hikami

Up to Vicar Amelia now, defeated her on my second try. (battle)

Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be since people seemed to be having trouble from recent posts I saw.
First time fighting a boss in a souls game without locking-on much, was certainly interesting. The camera was my biggest enemy in that fight really. Found her much easier to dodge and hit when I wasn't locked-on.

The branching paths each side of the Amelia boss doors, I did the whole path to the left - the boss was pretty easy. Now, the path to the right - what is going on there, anything important?

It's a courtyard with two extremely aggressive enemies with a blunderbuss I think (same widespread shot as Gascoigne). There's two lantern doors that don't seem to say much (for now?), and a path leading off with one of those bag men and then a drop off to another area, with a locked door. So the courtyard and the two enemies are anything important or I can just bypass them for now? Their aggressiveness is really annoying for a SL4 character.

Ugh, I guess Watchdog of the Old Lords is where I admit I'm not good enough and I should just quit. It's enough bullshit where I'm not having any fun anymore.

Melchiah

Yes. Thing has like 5 times the health of the last one and I get to play with half my own health.

I never fought Ancient Dragon in Dark Souls 2, which I heard was another bullshit boss. This must be how fighting that felt like.

It's not a bullshit boss. Once you learn the signals to the attacks, it's not that hard at all, unless it keeps charging at you. It took me a handful of tries to beat the dog.

Ugh, I guess Watchdog of the Old Lords is where I admit I'm not good enough and I should just quit. It's enough bullshit where I'm not having any fun anymore.

Watchdog is a fight about patience. Just attack when you see the opportunity, watch his attacks and you'll learn his openings, and focus on the head, trying to reach it's legs is too hard and risky. That said, there's a big opportunity when he goes to vomit lava.

Edit: Ancient Dragon was a joke, beat him on second try.

The branching paths each side of the Amelia boss doors, I did the whole path to the left - the boss was pretty easy. Now, the path to the right - what is going on there, anything important?

It's a courtyard with two extremely aggressive enemies with a blunderbuss I think (same widespread shot as Gascoigne). There's two lantern doors that don't seem to say much (for now?), and a path leading off with one of those bag men and then a drop off to another area, with a locked door. So the courtyard and the two enemies are anything important or I can just bypass them for now? Their aggressiveness is really annoying for a SL4 character.

I don't think those two hunters drop anything of note. In any case you can lure them out one at a time, although they would still be hard for a SL4 character I would guess (I wouldn't know, I haven't ever played at low level). They do not respawn after being killed once.

As for the door, you need the tonsil stone, which you'll get quite later on.

You may want to rephrase that. :D I had to read it a couple times to realize you meant "if you kill her, you only get those" rather than the (incorrect) "the only way to get those is to kill her".

No, I mean the 4th rune that has to be one of the three schools/churches/ways. Hunter, executioner and vileblood (I think).

Fuck, just accidentally ended the game without backtracking a little (missed the castle boss and killing the
eye brain great one
thing. Ugh! I really don't want to go through those nightmare bullshit levels...

Also, I want the ending with all the umbilical cords eaten, but it's a drag. I couldn't finish any of the NPC side quests or even trigger most of them. I accidentally fought Eileen and killed willem on first sight thinking they are hostiles. I'll behave better now.

As for story, I am with Willem's way, but I can't switch statis to his type of player since leveling is so expensive and I don't want to start a new weakling character...
Looks like I'll be replaying the game with the exact same stats, armor and weapon. :/
Damn it, Zero is right. I wrote the sentence wrong. I meant if you kill her, you only get her weapon and hunter garb.

I just reached the Watchdog myself. I barely got it down to 80% of it's HP if that, but it feels totally doable - each time I died it was because I got one-shot steamrolled by it's charge and I just wasn't familiar enough with it's attacks to see it coming.

At first it seemed like it didn't have any openings because it's always facing you, but between punishing it's charge, getting damage in when it pukes and learning to dash through it's sideways headswipe I don't think it shouldn't be too hard of a boss, unless it's got some crazy second phase.

The underground garden type area of the Chalice dungeons is really pretty, but the rest is meh, I can already see why this part of the game has come under criticism. I hope they don't waste time doing more Chalice stuff in the DLC.

silva1991

You can avoid them by jumping on the rooftop behind them from the stairs.

deim0s

I'm afraid defeating Vicar Amelia is a trigger to cancel that particular fight and then also the next fight in Eileen The Crows quest line. The next time you meet her she may not be so friendly.

As to where to go next straight through the forbidden woods.

Thanks, so no bugs relating to NPC quests this time around?

The shortcut to the lamp is very close to the second snake guy.

yeah it's where you fought FG, go check it out.

the last rune is covenets rune.

Regarding your yet unanswered questions:
1) Forbidden woods is the way to go, it's quite long and twisting indeed but there should be a few lamps along the way.
2) Hypogaean Gaol has a boss in it, though it's quite a tough one.
3) Chalice dungeons have a variable number of floors (starting at 3), each with a boss, but each dungeon itself (all n floors of it) belongs to a "layer" which is like a difficulty number, of which there are indeed 5. So you have several layer 1 dungeons (the easiest) with 3 floors each, several layer 2 dungeons, and so on. I was somewhat confused by all the talk of floors and layers at first. :)

After the main cathedral steps, went to the left (your right if facing the cathedral entrance) and got grabbed and transported to two areas - Lecture Hall/Bldg (?! nothing in there... event went back and talked to the guy at the door again.), went into the 2nd area and took Amygdala out.

Soooooo... heeding advice went into the woods and still got lost - but eventually wandered into the three shadows. Wandered into the mansion... Rang the wrong bell (a mistake) and was dragged into the boss fight with Rom(?) and spider things (goddamnnnniit). Blitzed into the cave afterwards towards Iosefka's Clinic and dealt with her.

Went back to the invisible monster blocking the doorway to check things out - he still doesn't know Amygdala is dead. :p

This is the first time I'm wandering aimlessly (wherein Demons/Dark Souls/II, I never felt this way), basically I'm hunting bosses and not finding things that tie them together. The old guy in Hunter's Dream told me to go to the Healing Workshop, after that he's gone. (Probably tending to an apple tree or something). Anyone find their first playthrough a bit disjointed story-wise or I fucked up the order of things?

So I'm off to the bolt-powered dog... if i find it again.

Yay killed the first boss. The first form was pretty easy especially since I could sort of cheese him with the long range axe that could attack through trees and stuff but the second form killed me a few times. Thank god for Molotov Coctails (I find it funny they are called that in this universe).

Hikami

Beat Darkbeast Paarl, the Witch of Hemwick, and went through the Pthumeru Chalice dungeon today.

What don't people like about chalice dungeons? I've seen that getting criticized a lot. Didn't seem too bad from the one I just went through.

Beat Darkbeast Paarl, the Witch of Hemwick, and went through the Pthumeru Chalice dungeon today.

What don't people like about chalice dungeons? I've seen that getting criticized a lot. Didn't seem too bad from the one I just went through.

Just wait until you play through about 5 more dungeons. They all feel and look similar. It gets extremely repetitive and boring after a while. Only thing that stays fresh are the bosses, even though a few are reused sometimes.

You can avoid them by jumping on the rooftop behind them from the stairs.
Yeah, that's how I originally saw them actually. I walked so close by the one with the gun I can't believe he didn't see me, I only saw that one when I turned back around after seeing the kidnapper around the corner.

They weren't so difficult one on one - at first I thought they were NPCs so it took me by surprise when they were so aggressive right off the bat.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Why I can't buy the Ludwig blade if I have the item in my backpack?

Man, I'm stuck in Old Yarnham. I have killed everything I can get my hands on and I'm not sure where else I can go. I bet I'm missing something obvious.

^ edit, that's the one!

Man, I'm stuck in Old Yarnham. I have killed everything I can get my hands on and I'm not sure where else I can go. I bet I'm missing something obvious.
I missed a path for a really long time. At the bottom of the ladder with the door that is locked from the top until you open it by going up, the base of the ladder, just before it is a turn off to a whole other part of the area which is progress.

I totally missed it myself the first few times around that area, I only saw it on a video and realised I'd missed it.

Fellow Souls fans, I will finally be able to play Bloodborne in the 2nd half of October when I will borrow a PS4 from a friend.

The only Souls game I didn't play and didn't platinum yet.

CANNOT WAIT!!!

I've never had a problem with chalice dungeons. I found them fun because of the difficulty in depth 5 dungeons. Some of my favorite (and most hated) bosses are in there.

Kudo

Does anyone here have the Japanese version of the game?
I'm curious to know if it has English text option or not, I know some games have done that in past (MGSGZ) but I guess it would have been mentioned if it did have them.
Wondering whether to import The Old Hunters collectors edition from there.. As Sony haven't said anything will other countries get the physical version.

What level are you and what level is the weapon? You really shouldn't be going into that dungeon with anything less than a +10.

Level 107
Vitality 39
Endurance 29
Strength 30
Arcane 40
Skill 12
Bloodtinge 7

I have a +10 Tonitrus, +6 Ludwig's Holy Blade and +6 Logarius Wheel. I wish I could upgrade these, but damn From made blood stone chunks stupidly rare.

Top Bottom