• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Can anyone explain to me how the Logarius wheel works?

I just spent 3 points on Arcane on my strength build to try it since it seemed cool but... I'm confused about its different modes. If I hit L1 it gets 2-handed and glows red, but doesn't actually do anything else? I tested damage this way and the non-transformed way and it didn't seem stronger (I thought it was a buff).

Then I saw that when transformed I can hit L2 and it starts draining my health quite fast, but again, I didn't quite see any significant damage boost. Am I missing something? So far it's a disappointment. Or maybe I just suck with it, but I quickly reverted back to my Kirkhammer. :|

Giever

Can anyone explain to me how the Logarius wheel works?

I just spent 3 points on Arcane on my strength build to try it since it seemed cool but... I'm confused about its different modes. If I hit L1 it gets 2-handed and glows red, but doesn't actually do anything else? I tested damage this way and the non-transformed way and it didn't seem stronger (I thought it was a buff).

Then I saw that when transformed I can hit L2 and it starts draining my health quite fast, but again, I didn't quite see any significant damage boost. Am I missing something? So far it's a disappointment. Or maybe I just suck with it, but I quickly reverted back to my Kirkhammer. :|

The wiki says this, in explanation of how the transforming/buffing actually works:

• While transformed you can use L2 up to 4 times in succession to power up at the expense of HP.
  • The first press of L2 drains .1% hp/.1s, the second drains .2% hp/.1s, the third .3% hp/.1s, and the fourth .4%hp/.1s
  • Once powered up your health will be drained until transformed back, however when you hit an enemy it replaces some lost health.
  • In each stage the buff lasts about 20 seconds.
  • In stages 2-4 you can hit L2 once to revert back to stage 1 to keep from losing health while keeping a buff.
  • The buff will no longer drain hp if your max hp drops so that .1% of your hp is less than 1. That means at 999hp, your first buff will have 0hp/s drain, which is excellent for cursed dungeons. This applies to each buff with respective max hp amounts.
  • The second buff seems to be bugged, as it actually decreases the attack rating from your previous buff by 1AR.
In regards to why you're seeing poor damage, it's probably because of your low Arcane:

• The L2 power-up seems to only affect the Arcane portion of the damage. Considering the amount of health it drains, it is not worth it without good Arcane investment and/or gems.
  • The AR's of this weapon change dramatically in the transformed state. The physical AR is reduced to 70% of the original value while the arcane AR is amplified by a factor of 4 (not including any flat AR values added by the Odd Arcane effect).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well fuck. I should have known pumping the arcane stat was a mistake. :\ This doesn't sound fun at all...

Guess I'll wiki some stuff next time instead of experimenting by myself.

Well fuck. I should have known pumping the arcane stat was a mistake. :\ This doesn't sound fun at all...

Guess I'll wiki some stuff next time instead of experimenting by myself.

It's pretty enjoyable to use but you really have to devote your entire character to it for it to be as effective as other weapons.

Melchiah

Thanks for the tip. I read where to find more waning gems for starters and killed the boss for the ailing loran chalice...not that I have the materials yet. :) I'm trying to get this guy in good shape before the DLC, stopping before Byrgenwerth since I have no clue when the content will take place.

Here's a chalice FAQ I had bookmarked:
https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/3184gy/chalice_dungeon_resources_faq/
Q: What are Fetid, Rotted, Cursed, and Sinister Rites?
A: Fetid, Rotted, Cursed, and Sinister Rites can be applied to Dungeons to increase their difficulty and rewards. Fetid offerings empower creatures that are already in the instance by giving them a damage buff. Rotted offerings introduce new creatures to the dungeon and raise the possibility of traps. Cursed dungeons cut your HP in half while in the Dungeon and all gems that drop will be Cursed gems. Sinister Dungeons allow others to invade your dungeon. Each of these appears to improve the Quality Level and Drop Rate of gems. Until many more dungeons are added to the list or until revealed by an official guide, we will not know all of their benefits. It should be noted that Cursed Gems with the right stat lines are the best gems in the game and can exponentially increase your character’s power.

Q: What types of gems drop in the different Dungeons?
Pthumeru - Radial Gems
Loran - Crescent Gems
Isz - Triangle Gems
And a bit more about the Fetid and Rotted effects:
https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/32lc0e/psa_what_fetidrotten_offerings_actually_do/
There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding regarding the other two rites and getting certain shapes. These are my findings, take them with a grain of salt.
Fetid/Rotten Rites
They do not chance the layouts of dungeons at all or change the overall difficulty like the curse rite does. Their effects are far more subtle.
They add elite spawns to the dungeon and these spawns have the same quality loot drops bosses do. These spawns will drop gems based on the aura they have in addition to any gems they would normally drop.
These spawns are indicated by the Red/Purple auras. Even mobs that normally do not have gem drops can drop a gem if they have this aura but with an extremely low droprate. (example - Rats). It is possible for mobs to have both auras and the Fetid Aura (red) seems to take priority over the Rotten (Purple) Aura in regards to loot.
Each aura adds gems to the mobs loot table if it didn't have them. Red Physical gems for the Fetid Aura and Purple Poison gems for the Rotten Aura. Mobs with both auras seem to have a chance to drop green gems (Striking, Fools, Poormans, Etc).
The aura increases all gems that mob drops to Boss level quality if it is a Boss Mob. Fetid watchers have a very high droprate of Boss level physical gems since they have physical gems by default.
Having both rites active at the same time seems to increase the appearances of Fetid/Rotten spawns within the dungeon.
These mobs cannot drop Abyssal gems, you still need to kill bosses for that. You can however get up to rarity 19 if you are VERY lucky (only gotten a 19 once from a non boss so far).
The Fetid/Rotten Rites may or may not effect boss loot. If they do then Cursed/Rotten dungeons may be the key to getting strong poison gems from bosses.
TLDR - Farm things glowing Red/Purple for the chance of good gems.

EDIT: I just reached SoY and DBP myself at level 52, and after I've beaten them, I'll leave the game there to wait for the expansion. I have a level 201 veteran with good gems waiting for another expansion playthrough, but I may have to go to the chalices with the newer character as well. I wish I could skip the first ones.

Made some progress. Just defeated
Witch of Hemwick
and I'm not sure if it was supposed to be THAT easy. Got it on my first try and barely had to heal either. Compared to the last boss where I had to try at least 10 times these boss difficulties are pretty varied :d.

I think the biggest issue with this game is that sometimes lock-on just doesn't work even in situations where it should.

Am I maybe under-leveled for chalice dungeons?
I'm at lv 70 and using a +10 LHB. I've done everything else in the game besides the final boss and these ~4 remaining chalice dungeons..

Though if I am under-leveled then I guess I'd have to go grind for blood echoes.. what's a good place for that?

I don't think you're supposed to do depth 4-5 chalices before NG+. Definitely not before beating the game or the final boss(es) will be a joke. Finish the game, keep playing until it's challenging, then go back to chalices. Enemies in NG+ drop a metric fuckton of blood echoes, you can level up much more easily with that. Remember your chalice progress is kept between NG+'es.

Finished up the defiled chalice dungeon. That layer 3 boss...the camera versus large monsters sure hasn't improved a bit in FromSoft games. I had visions of the Centipede Demon. I was thinking I would be ready to take on the final dungeon, but now I need to do others for enough materials I guess. Feels like I'm playing WOW again. :)

I don't see the point of sinister chalice dungeons. As far as I know you can't get invaded as long as your dungeon is not set to public so nothing special will happen.

It's basically free rewards for no extra challenge.

The Forbidden Woods boss are providing a challenge. Finding an opening is difficult.

I'm wondering where to go next actually, I have that boss, the Nightmare Frontier and the snowy Castle all open to me. The enemies in the castle are pretty tough, but I explored through to the boss room purely for the loot. The gargoyle enemies are easy enough 1-on-1 and I they drop upgrade materials so I farmed them briefly but only got one chunk. All the other enemies are hard going.

The Nightmare Frontier enemies are a cakewalk which makes me think I came here a bit late (the crystal lizard things are dropping lowly shards which is a clue), those things that cause Frenzy are basically a one-shot kill on my SL4 character, so I haven't worked out how to deal with them yet other than avoid.

I have a fire rune in my saw cleaver which I noticed is giving a 27% decrease in weapon durability, which sure does explain why I'm needing to go back to the Hunter's Dream to repair so often. I do wish the lamps acted more like bonfires, it's a pain in the ass to hop back there just to travel to a different location - it's just extra loading screens basically. I know that's no different to Demon's Souls, but it's been 3 games since then, it feels like a step back.

Wait, you can get to the Nightmare Frontier without beating the Forbidden Woods? Without being "grabbed" at night?

The frenzy causing enemies can be poisoned. Only 1 really needs to be dealt with.

Wait, you can get to the Nightmare Frontier without beating the Forbidden Woods? Without being "grabbed" at night?

The frenzy causing enemies can be poisoned. Only 1 really needs to be dealt with.
I got grabbed. I think it turned night after Amelia.

Thanks for the poison tip, that freaky thing is going down! That area is quite fun actually, the first time I got one shot by a giant boulder from nowhere I just laughed because it was so unexpected, the dudes throwing them go down pretty easy thankfully.

You just need the tonsil stone to get grabbed. You can get it from any door with a red light when it turns night.

There is a +200 frenzy resist rune in the forbidden woods that helps going forward FYI.

I got the red jelly I needed in Lower Loran, and only had to fight 2 of 3 bosses to get it. I may finish it out later anyway, since I doubt the Darkbeast is harder than the Abhorrent Beast, aka More Mobile Manus.

Siegmeyer

The Nightmare Frontier enemies are a cakewalk which makes me think I came here a bit late (the crystal lizard things are dropping lowly shards which is a clue), those things that cause Frenzy are basically a one-shot kill on my SL4 character, so I haven't worked out how to deal with them yet other than avoid.

Two of those scurrying beasts (crystal lizards) will drop 2 chunks each in the Frontier. One in the swamp area before the boss, and there's another near a brain enemy.

My least favourite area in the game, ugly as sin and another annoying ass poison swamp.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Can you stagger with a low level/unleveled hunter's pistol throughout the entirety of the game? This is something I never really answered for myself during my play though.

I used my LHB in two-handed mode for 90% of the later game. When I switched, and used my under leveled pistol, I could NEVER seem to stagger enemies late in the game. I'd watch the timing online, and try again. Maybe I'm just TERRIBLE at the timing - a fair possibility. But maybe I just needed to level up my weapons?

Can you stagger with a low level/unleveled hunter's pistol throughout the entirety of the game? This is something I never really answered for myself during my play though.

I used my LHB in two-handed mode for 90% of the later game. When I switched, and used my under leveled pistol, I could NEVER seem to stagger enemies late in the game. I'd watch the timing online, and try again. Maybe I'm just TERRIBLE at the timing - a fair possibility. But maybe I just needed to level up my weapons?

Gun level does not affect parry timing. It only affects the damage it does. So you should be fine with an un-upgraded gun.

There's an invisible werewolf in my Ailing Loran that cannot be hit. It's head or hand shows up when it is attacking but otherwise I have no idea where it is and cannot kill it.

Two of those scurrying beasts (crystal lizards) will drop 2 chunks each in the Frontier. One in the swamp area before the boss, and there's another near a brain enemy.

My least favourite area in the game, ugly as sin and another annoying ass poison swamp.
Yay, I got them all thanks.

I quie liked the area. A little confusing at first, but it had a fair few secrets and 'how do I get there' moments. Dodging the boulder guys was pretty fun, and it wouldn't be Soulsborne without a poison area!

Better late than never I guess. It feels pretty good to have done everything offline/solo I guess...but I feel more relieved finishing the late chalice dungeons rather than excited. Depth 1-3 felt pretty balanced, but I doubt I'll ever touch defiled and beyond again.

cBUR09c.jpg

Final boss was mostly easy after the previous ones (defiled and up). This game is fantastic, but I wish FromSoft wouldn't even bother with the ultra large bosses if they can't figure out a functioning camera solution. It was a struggle on several of the fights to even see what the hell was going on. Anyway, it's still my second favorite game of the year, and would be my favorite in most years. Good stuff!

Manu

Final boss was mostly easy after the previous ones (defiled and up). This game is fantastic, but I wish FromSoft wouldn't even bother with the ultra large bosses if they can't figure out a functioning camera solution. It was a struggle on several of the fights to even see what the hell was going on. Anyway, it's still my second favorite game of the year, and would be my favorite in most years. Good stuff!

I'm sure they learned their lesson for DS3.

jgX5ejf.png

Oh.

(Congrats on the Plat!)

Better late than never I guess. It feels pretty good to have done everything offline/solo I guess...but I feel more relieved finishing the late chalice dungeons rather than excited. Depth 1-3 felt pretty balanced, but I doubt I'll ever touch defiled and beyond again.

cBUR09c.jpg

:O Depth 5 chalices is where the fun is at.

Congrats on the platinum; you're one of us now.

Hikami

Whew. Ailing Loran Chalice down, just 3 more to go now. I had beaten every boss so far in the game on my first or second try but the blood starved beast in this one.. ugh. Took me like 6 tries, just got lucky and managed to keep pulling off parries.

I think defiled chalice is next? Not looking forward to that..

Lord, I've never seen that before. Sounds like a troll by From.

I have no idea what caused it, I thought it may have been due to an illusory wall that did not disappear when I hit it, but after quitting and reloading the wolf was visible and that wall still couldn't be opened so I guess it wasn't actually an illusory wall, just a glitch.

also fuck bell ringers

Paarl O_O

I think this might be where I have to say goodbye to my SL4 dude and just continue with my regular leveled threaded cane guy, I just seem to be spending the whole fight healing because of how little HP I have, anything other than full HP = one hit kill. He's a fast fucker too!

silva1991

Paarl O_O

I think this might be where I have to say goodbye to my SL4 dude and just continue with my regular leveled threaded cane guy, I just seem to be spending the whole fight healing because of how little HP I have, anything other than full HP = one hit kill. He's a fast fucker too!

I don't even want to think of fightin this guy at low level.

Whew. Ailing Loran Chalice down, just 3 more to go now. I had beaten every boss so far in the game on my first or second try but the blood starved beast in this one.. ugh. Took me like 6 tries, just got lucky and managed to keep pulling off parries.

I think defiled chalice is next? Not looking forward to that..

you'll hate your self while fighting each boss in that dungeon.

I've got him down to 30% a couple of times, so I think it's doable - I'm not using firepaper or anything like that because I don't like wasting it.

But this is easily the worst bosses in the entire series in terms of camera problems, I'm trying to think of a similar experience and none springs to mind. Even locked off the camera goes wild when you're close or underneath him. Very poor going on From's part this boss (room).

Paarl O_O

Unlock camera, learn the timing to I-frame his aoe,be super aggressive so he gets stunlocked.

Phew, wow! OK, Paarl down @ SL4!

After about 15 tries with the saw cleaver I figured, like in Souls, skeletal characters would be more susceptible to blunt damage so switched to the Axe which was only a +6 verses the +8 saw cleaver, but the spin-to-win two-handed attack just kept him on the ground and whenever he got up to charge himself up again I would just smack him back down.

Feels good, but I feel it was more luck than skill. So many times the camera left me without a clue which way I was facing underneath him. I think if the boss room was just a little bigger it wouldn't have this problem.

Well, I just defeated the first boss. Wasn't too bad, that was actually fun.

Cool. I'd say only the second boss was a real pain for me. Took a ton of attempts to get his moves down, and even then, he'd catch me with a few moves that are tricky to predict. The third boss is camera hell, but I just went HAM on him and it worked. :p Zero skill, zero visibility, all hammer.

Does anyone actually bother with the uncanny and lost versions of weapons? It seems like by the end you can get all different types of gems for each shape. I did the first root chalice and found an uncanny saw cleaver, but doesn't seem worth it to waste twin shards just to socket a gem slightly earlier.

Hikami

Cool. I'd say only the second boss was a real pain for me. Took a ton of attempts to get his moves down, and even then, he'd catch me with a few moves that are tricky to predict. The third boss is camera hell, but I just went HAM on him and it worked. :p Zero skill, zero visibility, all hammer.
Just got the second boss on my second try. Probably my favorite boss fight in the game so far. :)
This is isn't as bad as everyone said it was so far.. let's see how the third one goes though.

Just got the second boss on my second try. Probably my favorite boss fight in the game so far. :)
This is isn't as bad as everyone said it was so far.. let's see how the third one goes though.

Could be you're good at the game. Trust me, a quick google search will show how frustrating defiled watchdog can be to plenty of people. :)

Hikami

Could be you're good at the game. Trust me, a quick google search will show how frustrating defiled watchdog can be to plenty of people. :)
He has pretty obvious visual cues as to what attack he's going to do, just have to be patient and wait for an opening. Fighting the third boss now and oh man.. not this guy again. Already giving me trouble.
Okay yeah, fuck this boss. I can get to the third phase but that's about it.

I dunno if I should feel bad for totally cheesing some encounters :d

Theres this one encounter with 3 hunters at once and I had no patience for a fair fight :lol.

He has pretty obvious visual cues as to what attack he's going to do, just have to be patient and wait for an opening. Fighting the third boss now and oh man.. not this guy again. Already giving me trouble.
Okay yeah, fuck this boss. I can get to the third phase but that's about it.

Yeah, third boss.

cameraman+foot+asleep.gif

i-cant-see-shit.jpg

Hikami

Almost 2 hours later..
d7ac9bc3c1.png

I actually tried to summon people for the first time in the game. Summoned one person like 3 times but we still failed..
Managed to beat it solo in the end. Upgraded a cannon, got some bone marrow ash, and fired 4 digits of damage to the boss' face on the third phase-- Allowing me to end it with a devastating visceral attack. Glad to be done with that now.

Top Bottom