• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Melchiah

Am I the only person to legit beat the game three times for the trophy?

I'll be doing that eventually, after the expansion hits, but there's nothing wrong with doing it on a single playthrough. Many don't have time or desire to play games through several times, but may still want to experience all the endings, or get the trophies from them.

I'll be doing that eventually, after the expansion hits, but there's nothing wrong with doing it on a single playthrough. Many don't have time or desire to play games through several times, but may still want to experience all the endings, or get the trophies from them.
I mean I get that it makes sense, but it's the easiest Souls type game to actually Platinum, why not just do it, granted I treated getting the platinum like it was a second job.

Melchiah

I mean I get that it makes sense, but it's the easiest Souls type game to actually Platinum, why not just do it, granted I treated getting the platinum like it was a second job.

I'd wager many people don't generally replay games, that goes for me as well. When I played the game the first time, I didn't know if I wanted to play it through again. The last lengthier game I've replayed is TLOU, and before that I:SS, Resistance 3, KZ2, and RFOM. I can't think of any other retail games I've replayed since the PS2.

Kweh

I wouldn't say Bloodborne is the easiest, but the quickest. The other games are collectathons for the platinum.

myco666

So what makes this one harder than Demons Souls for example where you have to rely on RN Jesus to get some of the rare drops?

IMO Defiled Chalice is harder than anything in DeS or DaS and it is mandatory for platinum. DeS and DaS requires you to go to about halfway through NG++ and atleast I found NG+ to be a cakewalk in all of these games. Also pure bladestone(?) is just time consuming. You just need to sink many hours destroying that one skeleton over and over again.

IMO Defiled Chalice is harder than anything in DeS or DaS and it is mandatory for platinum. DeS and DaS requires you to go to about halfway through NG++ and atleast I found NG+ to be a cakewalk in all of these games. Also pure bladestone(?) is just time consuming. You just need to sink many hours destroying that one skeleton over and over again.
So a platinum in DeS and DS sounds feasible then. I know I was half way through both when I stopped playing. I think when I get my Sony Gold headset I'll start playing both again. After playing Bloodborne with my headphones I just need it to soak up the atmosphere and concentrate on the game fully. Though I'm looking to restart DeS though. Surely Defiled couldn't be that god damn hard? I mean even I beat it and I've never beaten a Souls game before.

myco666

So a platinum in DeS and DS sounds feasible then. I know I was half way through both when I stopped playing. I think when I get my Sony Gold headset I'll start playing both again. After playing Bloodborne with my headphones I just need it to soak up the atmosphere and concentrate on the game fully. Though I'm looking to restart DeS though. Surely Defiled couldn't be that god damn hard? I mean even I beat it and I've never beaten a Souls game before.

Dark Souls is really feasible. Demon's Souls is also easy to plat but it can take awhile due to the horrible RNG in that certain stone.

Defiled Watchdog and Defiled Amygdala are only bosses in the 'series' that I've been actually stuck for few days. There isn't anything like those in Souls games. Atleast not mandatory ones for Platinum.

shadows_fuckyouxfbax.jpg

Doing my happy dance right now!

Shadows of Yarnham down, SL4 phew!

You should've recorded it.
You know, I haven't even explored all the PS4's features yet, when I got it I just stuck Bloodborne in and off I went to Yarnham! I was still taking potato shots of the screen until I saw other pristine screenshots in the thread and wondered how! I will look in to recording though, I know it's in the menu somewhere.

You know, I haven't even explored all the PS4's features yet, when I got it I just stuck Bloodborne in and off I went to Yarnham! I was still taking potato shots of the screen until I saw other pristine screenshots in the thread and wondered how! I will look in to recording though, I know it's in the menu somewhere.
To record video just double tap the share button. I didn't learn that stuff till mid way during my second play through.

RiverBed

Banned
To record video just double tap the share button. I didn't learn that stuff till mid way during my second play through.

Does double tapping Share start recording from the moment you do the double tapping? They way I do it is after a scene is over, I tap Share once, get taken to a menu, tap square and it will record the previous 15 minutes.

Does double tapping Share start recording from the moment you do the double tapping? They way I do it is after a scene is over, I tap Share once, get taken to a menu, tap square and it will record the previous 15 minutes.
I've just double tapped and then hit share again to stop recording. I've gotten a lot of stuff that I didn't want recorded doing the other method. That and when you're dying to the same boss multiple times I did not want all of that stuff saved and I don't want to bother trimming that stuff in the editor either.

Congrats! My SL4 run is stuck there. Haven't gone back to it in a few months. You've inspired me. I'll give it another go.
Yay, do it. Two-handing the axe really helped me out, not being too greedy and not going for follow-up hits unless I was certain it was safe. Then once they transformed I brought out the bolt paper and did started with a charge attack, got the katana one out of the way first, then the pyromancer.

With just one left it's difficult to fail - I just kept using two-handed R1, pausing a second in between hits to make sure I got back a little stamina and didn't do the overhead follow-up attack - the simple R1 has a really nice arch on it that catches them even if they move to the side.

So community question, is Bloodborne your GOTY so far? Does it fall short?

I ask because after the contenders of TW3 and MGSV, this is still my GOTY for 2015. Let's see how Fallout 4 effects that.

myco666

I ask because after the contenders of TW3 and MGSV, this is still my GOTY for 2015. Let's see how Fallout 4 effects that.

Out of what I've played this year this still is my GOTY and looking upcoming releases I feel like it will stay as my GOTY. It is just fantastic in everything and nothing even comes close this year.

Yeah Bloodborne in my game of the year. I may have stopped playing it for Dark Souls 2 cause I platinumed the game and for MGS V, but I've had the most fun with Bloodborne. Can't waif for the DLC either and I honestly want to try a third character for arcane and skill.

Yup, nothing else is even close.

Yes, it's definitely my goty

Out of what I've played this year this still is my GOTY and looking upcoming releases I feel like it will stay as my GOTY. It is just fantastic in everything and nothing even comes close this year.

Yeah Bloodborne in my game of the year. I may have stopped playing it for Dark Souls 2 cause I platinumed the game and for MGS V, but I've had the most fun with Bloodborne. Can't waif for the DLC either and I honestly want to try a third character for arcane and skill.

Yeah. Feeling exactly the same thing and can't wait for the Old Hunters.

Btws, is anyone thinking about making or interested in a NeoGaf PSN Bloodborne Community? I really have no idea what the new communities in the next update will be like though.

Manu

It's my GOTY so far, but to be fair I haven't played Witcher 3 or MGSV or any of the other runner-ups for that matter.

So yeah, it wins by default lol

Basically me right here. Although the Witcher 3 and MGSV are up there, BloodBorne is a focused master piece, and I feel like the dlc will turn the game into an 11/10 for me.

Melchiah

Without a doubt, and I suspect the expansion will be my GOTY number two.

I'll be skipping Fallout 4 for now due to open world fatigue. EDIT: And knowing Bethesda's track record, it's probably best to wait until it's patched.

Jigorath

Banned

Any other year Bloodborne would be my GOTY but The Witcher 3 cinches it for me.

Melchiah

I reached the halfway with the new character last night, and I'll leave it there until the expansion comes.

Here are some of the boss battles:
BSB (lvl 39) - https://youtu.be/R9yTxZ9k_SU
VA (lvl 42) - https://youtu.be/qBxD6fg268w
SoY (lvl 52) - https://youtu.be/wi-fP5ZEHHk
DBP (lvl 53) - https://youtu.be/S4S_62uJpmo

BSB took me four tries, but I beat the rest on the first. DBP was surprisingly easy, and the fight took less than two minutes. The same goes for VA, although I had some kind of brain fart, and every time I tried to switch to Numbing Mist I took off the melee weapon. SoY was a really close one, as I didn't manage
to kill the katana guy before he transformed.
As for BSB, I decided to not use antidote at all, as taking it resulted with getting caught in an attack on the preceding tries.

Nightmare Frontier was a pain the ass without sedatives, but I did manage to clear the area apart from the caves. I had to use
molotovs to kill the Winter Lantern, that stood in the away of the short cut.

I've also collected a plenty of Blood Shards for the weapons of the upcoming expansion.
So, I'm all set for it, but I dunno if I can stop playing the game for the next two months. ;)

EDIT: This time I also played the first time with +15 insight, and it was fun to see how some of the enemies had additional attacks. The Large Huntsman
startled me with its charge.

GOTG for me and solid contender for GOAT. Dark Souls was my GOT previous generation and BB manages to top it off in many respects (though DS's world is still king). Miyazaki is just that OP. I barely can breathe waiting for its DLC (OK, I probably can't breathe because I have a huge cold, but still).

Jombie

Speaking of lvl 4 playthroughs, it was my least enjoyable base level run in Soulsbourne. Sl1 can be extremely challenging, but it's rarely downright infuriating (minus 4 Kings and Smelter Demon) like it was for me in Bloodborne. It was a real soul-shattering experience.

Here are a couple of fairly clean boss fights:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=olzRb8BkNm8 (Gehrman)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8vopXM5N2xA (Paarl)

Had more impressive ones but deleted them.

Yahar'gul is pretty nuts, I love how as you progress through the game the cosmic weirdness increases. If all you saw was the start of the game you might think it was just Victorian gothic horror action, but as the night continues the cosmic kookiness takes over, the atmosphere might be the best of any Souls game yet.

IvorB

So the constant Souls discussion and the impending expansion has got me to put some more time into this. I had forgotten how amazing this game was. Cleared the S
hadows
of Y
arnam
then took a detour through the NF. That place was truly f**ked up between the poison lakes, boulder-chuckers and the brain dudes. Made a vid of the A
mygdalla
fight if anyone is interested. Gonna clear off the one remaining area of the forest and then press on I reckon.

I have to let it simmer in between MGSV, PoE and Bloodborne. I doubt Fallout 4 will be a contender for me. Yet to play TW3.

I hope FromSoftware tweaks the hunter style fights going forward. The ones where it seems even are fun, but when they resort to giving them tons of health, or powerful guns to make it harder for example, it blows goats. The invaders in DkS2 SOTFS are also just damage sponges, so it kinda has me curious how they're going to do things in the DLC, BB2, and DkS3 really.

I hope FromSoftware tweaks the hunter style fights going forward. The ones where it seems even are fun, but when they resort to giving them tons of health, or powerful guns to make it harder for example, it blows goats. The invaders in DkS2 SOTFS are also just damage sponges, so it kinda has me curious how they're going to do things in the DLC, BB2, and DkS3 really.
I just tried fighting the one in the Amelia boss room just now (part of Eileen's questline) and well, one shot from his gun took off 98% of my HP @ SL4, so that fight's going to have to wait for another character!

I also met the trio in Yahagul, which was just stupid tbh, I think these NPC hunter fights are one of my least favourite aspects of the game.

I just tried fighting the one in the Amelia boss room just now (part of Eileen's questline) and well, one shot from his gun took off 98% of my HP @ SL4, so that fight's going to have to wait for another character!

I also met the trio in Yahagul, which was just stupid tbh, I think these NPC hunter fights are one of my least favourite aspects of the game.

I beat him twice legit, and cheesed him using poison knives and dragging him back to the entrance a couple times. Even doing it the right way, it feels more like luck than skill. Father G is a hunter fight as a boss, and it's awesome and exciting, so they can make them challenging and fair, but for whatever reason that's not what we got most of the time. I like the trio, they just have too much health. Last time through there I beat two legit, then got rocked by a cannon blast.

Trying platinum playtrough now and man, it's like I missed 60% of the game on my first time (well the chalice dungeons I didn't touch intentionally). And it's not like I rushed, I was taking it slow and searched places pretty good but some of this is pretty cryptic :lol.

Really makes me kinda want to try a third playtrough someday. Are Bloodtinge/Arcane builds viable in the game?

Melchiah

BTW, On my third run I found an easy way to win the hunter with a gun, who's to the right of the Grand Cathedral;
shoot him, and throw a molotov right after that when he can't dodge.
The bastard was a pain in the ass due to the gun spamming. Oddly enough, he just disappeared on my first playthrough, when I returned to the area later on.

myco666

Trying platinum playtrough now and man, it's like I missed 60% of the game on my first time (well the chalice dungeons I didn't touch intentionally). And it's not like I rushed, I was taking it slow and searched places pretty good but some of this is pretty cryptic :lol.

Really makes me kinda want to try a third playtrough someday. Are Bloodtinge/Arcane builds viable in the game?

Both are viable but Arcane needs alot of work to get it going and you get most of the tools really late. Definetily worth checking out at some point though since it is different than other builds. Bloodtinge build is probably most OP build in the game since RP/Evelyn + BMA does super high damage with high BT. You can kill bosses with just shooting at them if you want.

Top Bottom