• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Ferr986

Damn. That was how I beat him because I was tired of those ridiculous gun shots.

I still killed him that way like just last week.
He will get out of that state eventually but all I had to do was go make him transform his sword again, leave, then repeat til dead.

Thanks guys, Chikage hunter is down. I noticed he acts weird when he's close to the door, he stops attacking you altogether.

Btw, It's probably not gonna happen but I wish FROM would patch the option to make the bell maidens respawn in the Nightmare areas after beating the boss. I want the Burial Blade as a secondary weapon but I don't want to lose the option of getting invaded in Mensis.
Going for the Chalice version also makes losing invasions in Frontier (and I don't see myself beating Defiled as lvl 60), so yeah.... I'm out of options.

For the first time I feel like this game is kicking my ass.
Took me several tries to beat Logarius and I'm struggling with Ebrietas after 10+ tries, always get her down to very low health but haven't managed to finish the battle yet.

I decided to start with Mensis, but that fucking frenzy is brutal combined with strong ennemies, ran out of vials too. No sedatives either.
Should I check out the chalice dungeons now or where do I get vials and echoes quickly?

For the first time I feel like this game is kicking my ass.
Took me several tries to beat Logarius and I'm struggling with Ebrietas after 10+ tries, always get her down to very low health but haven't managed to finish the battle yet.

I decided to start with Mensis, but that fucking frenzy is brutal combined with strong ennemies, ran out of vials too. No sedatives either.
Should I check out the chalice dungeons now or where do I get vials and echoes quickly?
Are you using the frenzy resist and armor with good frenzy resistance? The best armors for those are the ashen hunter garb and crow hunter garb. Regarding Ebrietas she's one of the if not the hardest non chalice boss in the game. She's weak to lightning and a good but deadly strategy is to bait the head slam to attack her head or to roll around her and attack her from behind. She turns faster in the chalice dungeon though so that won't work on her there. Getting echoes isn't that hard in the mensis area especially the area after Micolash if you got that far already. If you haven't done the chalice dungeons yet you're over powered for the first couple. What's your current level and build?

I believe I'm around level 65 with a focus on vitality and strength.
My main weapon is the axe (+9), it says I need a blood rock now but I have no idea where to find one.
Equipping more suited armor is a good tip though.

I don't know if i want to platinum the game now, start ng++ and wait for the dlc or if i should wait for the dlc, finish it and then platinum the game.

I don't want to be too op when the dlc comes out... maybe i can start a new run just for the dlc

Anyone using the rifle spear? I'm doing a pure skill run for the first time and am loving the cane's crowd control and stunlocking, but I wanted to have a back-up weapon for variety. I was thinking about the saw spear but I finished the game three times using the saw cleaver 90% of the time, so I wanted to try something else. Is the rifle spear valid even if I don't intend to level up bloodtinge or arcane much? Want to do a bloodtinge run later on so I'm kinda saving that for now.

Anyone using the rifle spear? I'm doing a pure skill run for the first time and am loving the cane's crowd control and stunlocking, but I wanted to have a back-up weapon for variety. I was thinking about the saw spear but I finished the game three times using the saw cleaver 90% of the time, so I wanted to try something else. Is the rifle spear valid even if I don't intend to level up bloodtinge or arcane much? Want to do a bloodtinge run later on so I'm kinda saving that for now.

It's a great weapon because of the moveset, but you can't use fire/bolt paper on it FYI. I'm 99% sure the bloodtinge scaling on the weapon is only used when you use the gun feature of the weapon, so you only need to worry about skill scaling when using it normally. I used one up to +6 or +7 and really enjoyed it before getting Evelyn and then upgrading my threaded cane fully. I'd actually like to play again someday and use it the entire time...like I said, the moveset for it is great. The lunge attack has insane range.

I believe I'm around level 65 with a focus on vitality and strength.
My main weapon is the axe (+9), it says I need a blood rock now but I have no idea where to find one.
Equipping more suited armor is a good tip though.
You get the blood rock in Mensis, you're too low level for Ebrietas as far as I'm concerned but it is possible to beat her at your level. Stuff in Mensis especially the second half can hit hard.

Ferr986

lol I was co-oping with someone against
Yharnam
and soon after the fight started she fell down the floor and died.

Easiest Chalice clear ever.

Finally beat it.

african-celebration-o.gif

It took me too long to figure out you have to rush down
Gehrman
. When I cracked and googled strats, everyone said "just parry". Not that easy to a BB scrub like me.
Moon Presence
was surprisingly easy.

Now I just have to fight the sudden urge to start a new playthrough. The backlog awaits.

Shadows Of friggin' Yharnam are giving me more trouble on my leveled character than they did on my SL4 character - I never saw the big snakes at all on my first character, but this time I get them every time and spend the rest of the fight running the perimeter of the boss arena popping blood vials like they're going out of style!

Shadows Of friggin' Yharnam are giving me more trouble on my leveled character than they did on my SL4 character - I never saw the big snakes at all on my first character, but this time I get them every time and spend the rest of the fight running the perimeter of the boss arena popping blood vials like they're going out of style!
Once you get the parry timing for the katana guy the SOY are easy. I usually just go Katana, candle guy, pyromancer and by the time you get to the pyromancer you can just wail on him while he constantly circle strafes.

I beat them finally. The katana guy is easy to parry but I usually just stick to wailing on him and then dodging. I try to take him or the one with the candle out first. It feels at first like you want to take the caster out first, but it's pretty easy to walk past/dodge his fireballs and the other two are the more dangerous ones imo, especially in the second phase.

I beat them finally. The katana guy is easy to parry but I usually just stick to wailing on him and then dodging. I try to take him or the one with the candle out first. It feels at first like you want to take the caster out first, but it's pretty easy to walk past/dodge his fireballs and the other two are the more dangerous ones imo, especially in the second phase.
If you just concentrate on the Katana guy he doesn't really last too long in his second phase. Second guy is manageable, I've never really had that much of a problem with the SOY, not even NG+
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo46JJ1O-fk

AEREC

Man...I missed so much on my first playthrough. Didn't even find the
Cainhurst
area. Love how the Story in this game is discoverable if you look for it.

I've noticed that videos of Bloodborne look way better than my game.

Like, way better.

My game has lots of shimmer and crawlies. I have seen people say BB hardly has any antialiasing and image quality is poor in general, but why does mine look so much worse than YouTube videos?

Is it because I'm playing on a 4K TV? Is it because of the upscale?

Here's an example of what my game looks like: http://youtu.be/CcKEejycQCg

Interesting. What class are you going with? I'm guessing Fighter or Ranger, and carrying a crossbow and a melee weapon?

Since I got the Chikage I've really liked the idea of a Hunter Samurai. There is some concept art for The Old Hunter that shows some Gi looking clothing. I balled them up and made his story more of his lord using him at night to purge the scourge (lol) without him realizing they weren't beasts. His relization comes from slaying one who turns out to be his "good" lord that raised him.

He is indebted to him because he was an abandoned orc child/baby and was raised as his most trusted retainer in relative secrecy. He is Lawful Neutral as far as I can tell, as he stringently follows his code, however it's a pretty perverse version of "good." He is about the law if the law stand in the way of his mission as to him it takes priority. Now he worships a fire god of purity (haven't decided which) and only cares to cleanse these beastly souls with fire so they can find salvation as OBVIOUSLY that's what his lord wanted (it wasn't.)

Also I think he uses a Zanbato. Haven't decided.

Jamesways

Beat the game this weekend. Gerhman and the Moon Presence were fairly easy for me.
In fact, kept reloading the save, played each about 6 times, only died to both once.

I think I'm way overleveled, finished around lvl 90.

Loved the game. Through and through. Actually loved some levels I thought I was going to hate. I could hang out in the Nightmare Frontier all day.

I ran through some Chalice Dungeons, they get damn challenging even at level 100. But the layouts get kinda boring IMO, just harder enemies thrown at you in the same rooms over and over. There are some nasty things down there though, and the boss and enemy design is fantastic, some of those should have been in the main game.

Also, fuck ROM for the second time. Ugh.

I may be done with it for now though. I liked it better than DS1, but yet have no desire to do multiple playthroughs on NG+s. DS had very different styles of gameplay depending on armor and build. This game doesn't seem as varied to warrant different playthroughs for me personally.

Amazing game though, I chewed through it in about a week and a half, which is impressive since my game time is cut with two kids under 2. Very late nights and so tired every day, but worth it.

Kweh

I thought it was supposed to get easier after the Defiled Chalice bosses ;)

Pthumerian Descendant is kicking my arse, granted half the battle in his second phase is against the camera...

Yep, I've got parrying his first phase down, haven't successfully parried him in his second phase though.
I was in the exact same situation as you. Here's a tip.

When he goes through his whole animation where he detaches his sword and enters his second phase, you can get behind him and land a visceral attack in. If you manage to land it before the animation ends, he won't enter his second phase and will continue the fight in his "first form". He might try to enter his second phase again and if that happens, you may simply repeat the process. :)

Kweh

I was in the exact same situation as you. Here's a tip.

When he goes through his whole animation where he detaches his sword and enters his second phase, you can get behind him and land a visceral attack in. If you manage to land it before the animation ends, he won't enter his second phase and will continue the fight in his "first form". He might try to enter his second phase again and if that happens, you may simply repeat the process. :)

I did think about trying that, glad to hear it works. Cheers!

I hate those brain suckers that steal your insight, and the Upper Cathedral Ward is full of them. :(

I really got that Boletaria 1-3 feel when I entered this area though, that feeling of being in a newly unlocked part of a familiar area.

I hate those brain suckers that steal your insight, and the Upper Cathedral Ward is full of them. :(

I really got that Boletaria 1-3 feel when I entered this area though, that feeling of being in a newly unlocked part of a familiar area.
Man I'm currently trying to deal with Boletaria 1-3 on my current Demons playthrough. UCW is quite unique, but it's a lot smaller than Boletaria 1-3. A good trick is to use the whip on the brainsucker at the locked door. He's already dead for the later ambush of about 3 in that one room and you get the key to unlock the shortcut at the end of the hall.

It's insane how easy the game seems in a new playthrough. First time around I don't think I got to Old Yarnham until like 6-7 hours in, but new playthrough I'm there in 2 and that is counting leasurly exploring every nook and cranny for all the items, talking to all the NPCs, and fighting everything. One-shot both Cleric Beast and Father G this time around. Insane. It shows just how good the game is at rewarding skill, and teaching you those skills on a great progressive difficulty curve.

Auctopus

Can't wait to start this again around Halloween to prep for Old Hunters, haven't touched it since platting in the Spring/Summer.

It's insane how easy the game seems in a new playthrough. First time around I don't think I got to Old Yarnham until like 6-7 hours in, but new playthrough I'm there in 2 and that is counting leasurly exploring every nook and cranny for all the items, talking to all the NPCs, and fighting everything. One-shot both Cleric Beast and Father G this time around. Insane. It shows just how good the game is at rewarding skill, and teaching you those skills on a great progressive difficulty curve.
I honestly think Souls games are like this in general cause I'm having a similar experience with Demons souls cause I've made very similar progress compared to my first character within half the time. Granted my first character build is way different cause it's more magic based with magic scaling weapons and my second character is more quality melee based with decent enough bow skills.

I honestly think Souls games are like this in general cause I'm having a similar experience with Demons souls cause I've made very similar progress compared to my first character within half the time. Granted my first character build is way different cause it's more magic based with magic scaling weapons and my second character is more quality melee based with decent enough bow skills.

It makes sense, they are built along the same design philosophy. Very skill based and, in my eyes, a perfect difficulty curve.

It makes sense, they are built along the same design philosophy. Very skill based and, in my eyes, a perfect difficulty curve.
The games reward getting better and knowledge of the enemy going into shrine of storms and fucking up the black skeletons is great because I have a much better grasp of proper souls combat now, the Claymore is helping too lol.

The games are absolutely quicker to get through when replaying. My first time through DkS1 took me 46 hours (without doing the DLC or Painted World), while now it takes me 22-23 hours to go through everything. Bloodborne is very similar.

Foolishly, I thought I was going to kill Ebriatas first try when I got it down to 50% HP, then I got one shot by magic!

I haven't really found a way to dodge it's charge attack yet and it deals about 80-90% damage to a full health bar. Gotta work out some better strats for dealing with that. Probably going to be another favourite boss fight though along with Amelia, great (and gross) design, reminds me of the Picassas in Dukes Archives.

Persona7

Banned
The only location I can invade constantly is mergo's loft middle or whatever

is it because you can get like a ton of echoes in that area from the pigs and all the robed enemies by the staircase next to mergo's wet nurse boss area and people use that area for farming?

I think I'm going to be sick.

My Dark Souls muscle memory is preventing me from playing this game well. I need tips. I just want to advance beyond the torch I'm at (big guy is pounding at the door a little bit on). I've taken a long break since launch to tackle other games and coming back I'm just frustrated by my lack of skill. I can make it as far as the two werewolves if I'm lucky and I just can't win.

I just want my shield =[.

No you don't!
It's not too long until you actually get one!

Use the dash and roll as your defense. Those warewolves have really telegraphed attacks where they lunge at you, dodge past them not away from them and you can get a viseral attack (back stab) in before they have time turn around. You can also cheese them by going in the house (with the wheelchair dude on the groundfloor) - they can't fit through the door allowing you to attack them safely from inside.

* Bolded is standard Bloodborne advice for most enemies and a lot of bosses.

I need help....

I fought the big damn spider on the lake, and a woman in white appeared. Well, I had to hit the road! So I used lantern and shut off game. Now when I go back, she is gone! And googling tells me there should be a cutscene and then she teleports me to a new village. But she isn't there anymore, no matter what I do. Am I fucked?

I think I'm going to be sick.

My Dark Souls muscle memory is preventing me from playing this game well. I need tips. I just want to advance beyond the torch I'm at (big guy is pounding at the door a little bit on). I've taken a long break since launch to tackle other games and coming back I'm just frustrated by my lack of skill. I can make it as far as the two werewolves if I'm lucky and I just can't win.

Learning how to use distance and your enhanced maneuverability is key. I usually just walk in and out of enemy attack range to bait an attack for me to parry it or to get them to go through an attack animation and wait for the cool down for me to attack. It also requires learning how to roll through attacks and being more aggressive. It takes a bit to get it but once you do you should be fine. I used the cane whip a lot, taking advantage of the distance advantage helps a lot.

is it because you can get like a ton of echoes in that area from the pigs and all the robed enemies by the staircase next to mergo's wet nurse boss area and people use that area for farming?

No. People just like to do PvP there. That place and Nightmare Frontier are where you can get invaded and invade a decent amount. The rest of the areas are pretty barren.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the obvious reason. Those places have bell maidens, whereas the rest of the areas don't unless you summon.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

No, it's because that area, along with Nightmare Frontier, is the only area with a sinister bell-ringing maiden present by default (i.e. without summoning a cooperator to get her to spawn).

No you don't!
It's not too long until you actually get one!

Use the dash and roll as your defense. Those warewolves have really telegraphed attacks where they lunge at you, dodge past them not away from them and you can get a viseral attack (back stab) in before they have time turn around. You can also cheese them by going in the house (with the wheelchair dude on the groundfloor) - they can't fit through the door allowing you to attack them safely from inside.

* Bolded is standard Bloodborne advice for most enemies and a lot of bosses.

Learning how to use distance and your enhanced maneuverability is key. I usually just walk in and out of enemy attack range to bait an attack for me to parry it or to get them to go through an attack animation and wait for the cool down for me to attack. It also requires learning how to roll through attacks and being more aggressive. It takes a bit to get it but once you do you should be fine. I used the cane whip a lot, taking advantage of the distance advantage helps a lot.

Thanks. I'm not sure how to parry. I've selected the axe and I'm wondering if I should have gone with something else.

Got through the werewolves and some big guys and found my way to the previous torch so I'm a little more relieved. Died against a boss that I lasted pretty long with and I awoke back at the doll. Guess the game officially starts now?

I still don't get the game. I can transform my blade against nothing mid-combo for a special attack animation but it doesn't seem to work against enemies. I can dodge roll forward and attack for a unique attack animation... but not when I'm locked on because why would I want to have an effective dodge and a unique attack while engaged with an enemy...?

I love the souls games even though I've only beaten 1 and currently level 110 and hardly at the endgame of 2, and I love what's on offer here. I'm more frustrated with my inability to adapt because I have no idea what to do. I never dissected pre-release or post release footage to learn "what's new and different".

silva1991

I need help....

I fought the big damn spider on the lake, and a woman in white appeared. Well, I had to hit the road! So I used lantern and shut off game. Now when I go back, she is gone! And googling tells me there should be a cutscene and then she teleports me to a new village. But she isn't there anymore, no matter what I do. Am I fucked?

restart the game and go to the lake again. it's hard to see her look closely.

if she is still not there try to go to the village by foot maybe the game already triggered the blood moon.

Persona7

Banned
No. People just like to do PvP there. That place and Nightmare Frontier are where you can get invaded and invade a decent amount. The rest of the areas are pretty barren.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the obvious reason. Those places have bell maidens, whereas the rest of the areas don't unless you summon.

No, it's because that area, along with Nightmare Frontier, is the only area with a sinister bell-ringing maiden present by default (i.e. without summoning a cooperator to get her to spawn).

Ok, that makes sense. Still really disappointing because I have spent 20+ hours summoning and invading over the past week and have gotten less than 12 hits and most of those were invasions in this area.

RiggyRob

Beat Vicar Amelia in one go yesterday, the Tonitrus was extremely useful (it looked like I could stagger her if I did enough damage while it was charged) and I was definitely trying to do Darkbeast Paarl too early. I assume the beast skull at the altar was Laurence and that the Golden Pendant will have something to do with Willem, so I'll keep that in mind.

Is it generally true that the smaller enemies are, the harder they are to kill? I have no problem with the massive enemies with a ball and chain/hammer (and the strategy for bosses seems to be stay close and be aggressive so they can't hit you), but the hunter to the right of the cathedral with the long-range, massive-spread gun was a fucking pain.

Also, is there a recommended time/level to do Pthumeru Chalice? I've not really been paying attention to the Chalice Dungeons, I should probably have a go at one and see what they're like.

Top Bottom