• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Bl@de

Bloodmoon over Germany tonight:

image-902189-galleryV9-kjys.jpg

image-902185-galleryV9-ggsb.jpg

"What's that smell? The sweet blood, it sings to me..."

All right. This is stupid. How do you
befriend Djura?

For such a popular game with so many deep lore enthusiasts, it is amazing how poor the documentation for this game actually is. The Wiki is a disaster of incorrect or incomplete information and actually finding answers to your questions means hoping there was a GameFAQs thread about it that actually turned up an answer.

I have just learned you can
befriend Djura.
But the information as to how is all over the place.

Can I kill the Bloodstained Beast?
2. How do you get to Paarl without killing the BSB? Don't you need Snatchers?

Melchiah

befriend Djura?

For such a popular game with so many deep lore enthusiasts, it is amazing how poor the documentation for this game actually is. The Wiki is a disaster of incorrect or incomplete information and actually finding answers to your questions means hoping there was a GameFAQs thread about it that actually turned up an answer.

befriend Djura.

Here's how: http://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Djura

I went to DBP on NG+ after beating
Rom, and skipped the first visit to Yahar'gul.

More progress, just defeated
Amygdala

Is it just me or does the game actually get a bit easier in the endish (I assume I'm near the end). Some bosses don't feel quite as aggressive and the trashmobs are a joke compared to some earlier ones. Maybe I'm just overleveled or something even when I haven't grinded.

Also am I supposed to be spending Insight? I have hoarded 39 and haven't used a single of the madman skulls or whatever.

More progress, just defeated
Amygdala

Is it just me or does the game actually get a bit easier in the endish (I assume I'm near the end). Some bosses don't feel quite as aggressive and the trashmobs are a joke compared to some earlier ones. Maybe I'm just overleveled or something even when I haven't grinded.

Also am I supposed to be spending Insight? I have hoarded 39 and haven't used a single of the madman skulls or whatever.

Bloodborne's difficulty has always been overstated. It's only really hard in the beginning.

And yes, accumulating Insight makes you more susceptible to Frenzy and gives some mobs arcane attacks and buffs.

SoldnerKei

playing my NG+ I was having trouble with freaking
Micolash
, like stupids ways to die, rolling into his tentacle, or getting hit by his stupid multi beam attack, seriously, I remember him being like a joke boss the last time around, felt so good once I stabbed the bastard to death.

I'll probably skip the final bosses til the dlc is out, I don't like the hunter dream
being on fire
xD

befriend Djura?

befriend Djura.

The one thing most sites either get wrong or explain badly is that getting Djura to aggro you doesn't prevent you from befriending him later, it only makes him aggressive for as lng as you're in the zone. I played as normal, got warned, got shot at, killed the Blood Starved Beast, lit that lamp, got snatched, killed Paarl, then warped back to BSB's lamp, sneaked up on him (easiest thing from that lamp) and befriended him with zero issues.

TheFuzz

On my second playthrough, and I still maintain
Father G
is the hardest boss in the game for the level you're at. He's merciless. Took me a few tries even on my second run-through and once he transformed I had to spam the molotovs again.

My first run-through got me the "true" ending and real final boss fights, but apparently I missed Paarl, most of the Nightmare Frontier and all of Upper Cathedral Ward. Going back through since I know i missed some good stuff.

I'm somewhat of a casual gamer, but I've sunk a solid 70 hours into this game and just keep coming back. So good.

Jamesways

Bloodborne's difficulty has always been overstated. It's only really hard in the beginning.

I just started last week and made huge progress the last two nights. I think playing a light armor character in DS has at least given me some decent starting skills in this.

I've heard how terribly difficult some of the bosses are, but for the most part, I'm getting through them fairly easily so far. I don't think I'm super skilled, I guess just preparing for the worst each time. I was expecting most of the bosses would be like Manus/Artorias/Kalameet, take some serious time and tons of attempts.

I'm in the Forbidden Woods now, took down Paarl last night in the second attempt. Like BSB, very weak to fire. Talk about stumbling on to a boss fight though. Was not prepared at all, but still, made a decent showing the first go.

I agree Father G. has been the most stressful.

I'm sure I'll get me butt handed to me several times in the later stages. Still tough to take down the Snatchers for me at this point.

I loved DS1 and sank hundreds of hours into it with NG+s and 3 different characters.

I think I like this better. The level design and world in general is just so incredible.

Yay, Bloodborne complete. Final Boss was almost dissapointingly easy, got it on one try. Compared to the 3 first bosses I encountered that I died probably 25 times combined or something (I only met Cleric Beast later).

Good game. Now I wonder if I want to platinum it. It feels like the game still has tons of secrets and stuff I missed. I didn't even touch the chalice dungeons for example. And I used way too few weapons, pretty much only 2. Hunters Axe for the first half and Saw Cleaver for second.

I haven't played Dark Souls/Dark Souls 2 but what little I played of Demon's Souls I think this is vastly superior. Maybe I should give it another chance.

Hikami

Surprising to hear people had trouble with FG. I just kept staggering him with the kirkhammer and getting parries off on him was pretty easy.

Anyways, might platinum the game today (depending on how tough these remaining chalice dungeons are). They can't be worse than defiled though.. right?

myco666

Surprising to hear people had trouble with FG. I just kept staggering him with the kirkhammer and getting parries off on him was pretty easy.

Anyways, might platinum the game today (depending on how tough these remaining chalice dungeons are). They can't be worse than defiled though.. right?

FG was always easy for me too. I have much more trouble with CB even with subsequent playthroughs.

Defiled is by far the hardest chalice. Isz has Ebrietas though so that might be a stopping point.

Should be easy after defiled, minus another fight against the camera versus a huge boss. I mean, you can even do suicide runs to open the gates each level if you didn't want to fully explore them and just do boss fights. :)

I think the undead giant boss with chains on his back is a jerk, unless you are higher level than it. All his attacks hit hard and have huge range, then with that version, he'll punish you for attacking his back. Maybe hard isn't the right word, but I thought his attacks could be tricky to avoid. Rom is hit and miss with me. Sometimes I just crush him, but others he gets off some spells on me and it's over. Logarius is another that can be easy or hard for me.

Shadows Of Yarnham can kiss my SL4 ass. I realise there's a trick to getting all their HP down to just above where they transform, but honestly I just want rid of the caster and end up taking him out first.

I tried switching to other weapons besides the saw cleaver, but the axe is kind of useless for me here - due to their speed because it's impossible to get off a charge attack, which is really the most useful move it has imo. I'm kind of stumped now, I thought Paarl would be the end of me, but I don't think I can win this fight without a lot more experience and I'm just not able to get it at SL4. Hmmm, kinda bummed. The king dude of Cainhurst was also pretty much impossible, so I guess I'll have to bow out disgracefully and continue with a leveled character. Boooooo.

Shadows Of Yarnham can kiss my SL4 ass. I realise there's a trick to getting all their HP down to just above where they transform, but honestly I just want rid of the caster and end up taking him out first.

I tried switching to other weapons besides the saw cleaver, but the axe is kind of useless for me here - due to their speed because it's impossible to get off a charge attack, which is really the most useful move it has imo. I'm kind of stumped now, I thought Paarl would be the end of me, but I don't think I can win this fight without a lot more experience and I'm just not able to get it at SL4. Hmmm, kinda bummed. The king dude of Cainhurst was also pretty much impossible, so I guess I'll have to bow out disgracefully and continue with a leveled character. Boooooo.

This is your first playthrough, right? I would have been very surprised if you managed to pull off a blind SL4 run.

IrishNinja

ugh, Bloodletting Beast (non headless) in the lower whatever dungeons can suck a butt

im lvl 101, using a sawblade +10 but looking at other videos, i'm just not doing enough damage per hit. i feel ive mostly got his patterns down (don't get to hit his head much, much less visceral though), even bring down a leg for a bit sometimes but i just need to be hitting him harder...should i try fire or bolt paper? ive got gems on this thing so it's hitting 200+ i wanna say, but still

Siegmeyer

ugh, Bloodletting Beast (non headless) in the lower whatever dungeons can suck a butt

im lvl 101, using a sawblade +10 but looking at other videos, i'm just not doing enough damage per hit. i feel ive mostly got his patterns down (don't get to hit his head much, much less visceral though), even bring down a leg for a bit sometimes but i just need to be hitting him harder...should i try fire or bolt paper? ive got gems on this thing so it's hitting 200+ i wanna say, but still

He gave me a bit of grief also, until I found that dodging foward and to the left to get on his right side was pretty effective. Didn't use lock on for this fight and both he and the headless version went down fairly easily to this strategy. Ignored his head completely. As ever with Souls games, don't get greedy when you do get an opening!

Siegmeyer

Hats off to you Red Liquorice, a blind SL4 run takes some stones. I've also done SL1 runs in DeS and DkS, but had probably finished both 3 times before attempting them. I don't think I'll be trying it in BB though, as you say, the thought of some bosses at minimum level sounds like a bad time. If it makes you feel any better, I've watched Lobos jr's SL4 run on youtube - he's a highly skilled player with a ton of experience with the game, and beating Logarius still took him over 3 hours.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The one thing most sites either get wrong or explain badly is that getting Djura to aggro you doesn't prevent you from befriending him later, it only makes him aggressive for as lng as you're in the zone. I played as normal, got warned, got shot at, killed the Blood Starved Beast, lit that lamp, got snatched, killed Paarl, then warped back to BSB's lamp, sneaked up on him (easiest thing from that lamp) and befriended him with zero issues.
You don't even need to do that. Once you kill Paarl you get a convenient lamp right outside of those big doors that lead you right back into Old Yharnam.

On my second playthrough, and I still maintain
Father G
is the hardest boss in the game for the level you're at.
Out of all the non-optional bosses, I agree he's the hardest. I found him before
Cleric Beast
and hadn't even levelled up or done any upgrade so I retried him more times than any non-Chalice boss in the game haha.

I'm somewhat of a casual gamer, but I've sunk a solid 70 hours into this game and just keep coming back. So good.
I was a casual gamer until I played Demon's Souls and I realized that I wasn't the mediocre gamer, it was the games that were too mediocre. :)

Hats off to you Red Liquorice, a blind SL4 run takes some stones. I've also done SL1 runs in DeS and DkS, but had probably finished both 3 times before attempting them. I don't think I'll be trying it in BB though, as you say, the thought of some bosses at minimum level sounds like a bad time. If it makes you feel any better, I've watched Lobos jr's SL4 run on youtube - he's a highly skilled player with a ton of experience with the game, and beating Logarius still took him over 3 hours.
I just looked up Lobos' Waste Of Skin run earlier to see how he handled Shadows of Yarnham and he was actually two handing the axe, so after slagging it off I gave it a try and I have been having better results with it. The R1 has a nice arch to it and like in Souls if you wait the extra split second before pressing R1 again you don't combo but do the same attack which is better.

80% of the time I am getting killed by the pyromancer with the sword, his combustion type attack lingers for so long, if it hits you whilst you're attack, it's over. I've been trying to take out the katana dude first because the fireballs aren't so bad to dodge, it's just getting him away from the pyromancer/sword dude. I'm going to keep trying, it's personal now!

Siegmeyer

I just looked up Lobos' Waste Of Skin run earlier to see how he handled Shadows of Yarnham and he was actually two handing the axe, so after slagging it off I gave it a try and I have been having better results with it. The R1 has a nice arch to it and like in Souls if you wait the extra split second before pressing R1 again you don't combo but do the same attack which is better.

80% of the time I am getting killed by the pyromancer with the sword, his combustion type attack lingers for so long, if it hits you whilst you're attack, it's over. I've been trying to take out the katana dude first because the fireballs aren't so bad to dodge, it's just getting him away from the pyromancer/sword dude. I'm going to keep trying, it's personal now!

You soung like a crazy masochist. Good luck all the same!

I just backed up my save on a thumb drive so I can get the three ending trophies...

What are all the post
MWN
world changes? I hear
Viola's
body disappears?! Why?! Also, the whole talking
brick troll
at the bottom of the ladder has me asking so many questions.

I'm new in this thread. Idk how liberal I can be... tags aplenty.

IrishNinja

He gave me a bit of grief also, until I found that dodging foward and to the left to get on his right side was pretty effective. Didn't use lock on for this fight and both he and the headless version went down fairly easily to this strategy. Ignored his head completely. As ever with Souls games, don't get greedy when you do get an opening!

yeah, leaving lock off but its tricky keeping an eye on him without, he stays in my blind spots & has that range...ill try diagonal & up/left, hard not to get greedy but you're right, it's costing me. a buddy says i should try the threaded cane but this trusty saw cleaver's got me this far!

Siegmeyer

yeah, leaving lock off but its tricky keeping an eye on him without, he stays in my blind spots & has that range...ill try diagonal & up/left, hard not to get greedy but you're right, it's costing me. a buddy says i should try the threaded cane but this trusty saw cleaver's got me this far!

A +9 Saw Cleaver did the job for me (untransformed), my +10 Ludwigs jusn't wasn't getting it done.

Hikami

woohoo!

Well that was an interesting experience..

I love how I never got invaded, I just dislike that mechanic so much. It was refreshing to not have to deal with that this time.
Also surprised that I managed to beat every boss without the help of summons, pretty proud of that.

I think I ended up enjoying it less than Dark Souls 1 and 2 though. Found myself getting frequently frustrated with various things in the game. Need to take a long break now, will probably not pick it up again til the DLC is out.

IrishNinja

^congrats man!

A +9 Saw Cleaver did the job for me (untransformed), my +10 Ludwigs jusn't wasn't getting it done.

ah, untransformed, really? like, the short version? i just can't get the range down with that one on him...did you get more hits in with it maybe? or perhaps im misunderstanding; i use it longways.

still cant help but wonder if bolt paper might be that push i need here - totally saved my ass on the vacuous spider a floor above.

Siegmeyer

^congrats man!

ah, untransformed, really? like, the short version? i just can't get the range down with that one on him...did you get more hits in with it maybe? or perhaps im misunderstanding; i use it longways.

still cant help but wonder if bolt paper might be that push i need here - totally saved my ass on the vacuous spider a floor above.

Yep, short version. He's weak to serrated weapons and I think you might lose that bonus when the cleaver is extended. Plus it strikes so much quicker in short form.

bryt

I'm tackling the defiled dungeon when I get home today.

Level 85
Lone Survivor

VIT 40
END 20
STR 45
SKL 15

Using the Hunter Axe + 10 and Blunderbuss + 9

Is this good enough to clear the defiled dungeon?

Siegmeyer

I'm tackling the defiled dungeon when I get home today.

Level 85
Lone Survivor

VIT 40
END 20
STR 45
SKL 15

Using the Hunter Axe + 10 and Blunderbuss + 9

Is this good enough to clear the defiled dungeon?

It is. The more relevant question is 'are you?' :)

Edit: Sorry if that sounded condescending. What I mean is that with half health the bosses can very easily one-shot you with their stonger attacks, so you need to be on top of your game to progress.

Even Epicnamebro never bothered with Logarius during his waste of skin runs. I always found that funny, he never touched any of that side stuff.

IrishNinja

Yep, short version. He's weak to serrated weapons and I think you might lose that bonus when the cleaver is extended. Plus it strikes so much quicker in short form.

damn...yeah i guess i can try that but honestly, i'm mostly tagging the back of his legs and im worried the lack of range will just get me whiffing more often, never use the blade like that...still, if that hits a fair bit harder it might totally be worth it

Top Bottom