• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Giever

Huh, I actually really liked the Hunter fights, like, a lot. I hope they don't remove them or even change them much at all for future titles. >_>

The only thing I wish they would change is to give them actually limited ammo.

Melchiah

Huh, I actually really liked the Hunter fights, like, a lot. I hope they don't remove them or even change them much at all for future titles. >_>

The only thing I wish they would change is to give them actually limited ammo.

I enjoyed them as well. Some of them were very hard on the first playthrough, but I think that's how it's supposed to be. On subsequent playthroughs they've been far easier.

Robot Pants

So what usually happens with DLC expansions? Whole new thread or do i just add to the existing one? Maybe we can post nonsense for two months and get this to 20k posts so i can make a new one.
Whats the consensus?

silva1991

So what usually happens with DLC expansions? Whole new thread or do i just add to the existing one? Maybe we can post nonsense for two months and get this to 20k posts so i can make a new one.
Whats the consensus?

I don't recall Dark Souls 2 having a separated thread for it's DLCs.

myco666

How do souls DLC scale usually anyway? Will it demand a new character/NG+or scale to your level? Or will it be high level only.

Usually they have been for mid game to end game builds. Don't think they actually scale the DLC areas atleast not in DS1. DS2 kinda scaled but they would be better left to the end game.

Trying platinum playtrough now and man, it's like I missed 60% of the game on my first time (well the chalice dungeons I didn't touch intentionally). And it's not like I rushed, I was taking it slow and searched places pretty good but some of this is pretty cryptic :lol.

Really makes me kinda want to try a third playtrough someday. Are Bloodtinge/Arcane builds viable in the game?

Bloodtinge build--yes, very much so. Arcane.... well, viable, but not really optimal---it requires a lot more effort for this build and even so it's not nearly as effective as simply just go raw physical or bloodtinge in terms of actual damage.

The new bow weapon in the Old Hunter is supposedly Skill + Arcane though.

Melchiah

So, I just googled and apparently +50 level was recommended for Artorias of the Abyss. I guess my 60 level character will suffice for The Old Hunters then. I definitely don't want to start the expansion with an overlevelled character.

silva1991

So, I just googled and apparently +50 level was recommended for Artorias of the Abyss. I guess my 60 level character will suffice for The Old Hunters then. I definitely don't want to start the expansion with an overlevelled character.

Yeah, if you don't want to be overleveled for the dlc your level should be around 60 or 70 in NG.

Jamesways

I'm very LTTP with this, but man, just loving it! And tearing through it with some very late nights after the kids and wife are in bed.

In the matter of days, I've beaten 3/4 of the game. Just beat Ebrietas last night on the 3rd try. Love the lore, just soaking up lore videos while I'm at work. I was obsessed with DS1 on the 360 and I think I enjoy this better.
Cosmic horror indeed.

Good to know about the DLC, I'll do a USB save for the endings and keep a character around 70 where I'm close to.

What a great game.

I'm probably going to burn myself out on this game before the dlc releases like a moron, but I can't stop replaying. I was doing a second run of DkS2, but I just have to be honest, I dislike a great deal about the game. I think I'm going to have 4 completed guys in BB, plus one mid-game. I'm even thinking of making a new guy and going all in with bloodtinge. Most points I put into it is 25 on my threaded cane/Evelyn/Ser Tophat Classy Dude.

RiggyRob

I just started playing this for the first time this week and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, I just have a question about levelling my character.

I chose Cruel Fate because I really like the sound of magic/magic weapons, I don't mind waiting a while to get them/properly use them, and I was just wondering - how should I level my character before I get the Arcane specific weapons?

At the moment I've just been spreading them out evenly between Vitality, Endurance and Strength, and I'm yet to actually meet a boss yet. Also, I don't have PS+ so I'm playing offline.

Melchiah

I just started playing this for the first time this week and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, I just have a question about levelling my character.

I chose Cruel Fate because I really like the sound of magic/magic weapons, I don't mind waiting a while to get them/properly use them, and I was just wondering - how should I level my character before I get the Arcane specific weapons?

At the moment I've just been spreading them out evenly between Vitality, Endurance and Strength, and I'm yet to actually meet a boss yet. Also, I don't have PS+ so I'm playing offline.

Can't answer that as I've never tried an arcane build, but you must have met a boss if you're able to level up your character.

myco666

Just pump Vitality, Endurance and Arcane. If you want Arcane to shine you need to get it up to 40. Only put points into Strength or Skill if you need them for weapon requirements. For weapons get Flamesprayer and Tonitrus. Both can be acquired really early and and they get boost from Arcane.

You kinda need to know that there are hybrid weapons (strength+arcane or skill+arcane) later in the game, and there are normal weapons you customize by using gems to change the physical damage type (and scaling bonus) to arcane/bolt/fire. If you want to gem a normal weapon, just take enough strength and skill to meet the weapons requirements, since you can't use scaling for both, then put points in arcane for when you start getting arcane gems (not for a while). If you're going to use a hybrid weapon like the Tonitrus, it scales with strength, and gets a huge arcane boost when transformed, but it only lasts 6 or so seconds, and has low durability.

You can kinda see by that wall of text that arcane isn't the best for a first playthrough, since you'll have no idea when or where to get specific gems or weapons. It can work, and taking vitality and endurance is always a good choice. You can do enough damage by picking a weapon and keeping it upgraded, and even using physical gems until you can switch to arcane.

Ferr986

Great, now I'm again beating my head against the Chikage hunter. It's great that they fixed his exploit, sure, but they could have fixed his shoot damage too ._.

Should have killed Eileen in the battle against Henryk....

Great, now I'm again beating my head against the Chikage hunter. It's great that they fixed his exploit, sure, but they could have fixed his shoot damage too ._.

Shouldn't really do that since you miss out on her covenant rune. Just lure him to the stairs and fight him there.

Strategy for winning:

Fight him until he changes to two handed katana form then run away.

He will stand around in the two handed mode until it kills him.

Taking a break from Dark Souls 2 and went back to my BB end game file (level 75). I'm gonna stick to this level in case the DLC is balanced for end game, and I've been buying all the remaining weapons and finally going through the chalice dungeons. There's a lot I don't like about them, but the new art assets, bosses, and enemies are enough of a lure to make me want to play through them. I just wish they weren't so repetitive as they clearly make each dungeon from a very small pool of room and hallway presets.

Ferr986

Strategy for winning:

Fight him until he changes to two handed katana form then run away.

He will stand around in the two handed mode until it kills him.

That was patched :(

Shouldn't really do that since you miss out on her covenant rune. Just lure him to the stairs and fight him there.

Well I'm so close to finis the questso now I'm gonna do it for sure, but the rune doesn't do much of a difference.

I'm at the lecture building and nightmare stuff at the moment. I just noticed there is a memory altar in the workshop where I can use runes haha.
Also discovered that I can buy stuff with insight? :p

This game... Not using a guide because I don't want to be spoiled but I feel like I've been missing tons of things.

Watched the first part of this video to get some understanding of the story, really neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjWOy6ioVHI
(spoilers obviously)

Are you guys using all the different items? I've been using some molotov/antidote/paper/pebbles but there seems to be a lot more.

Are you guys using all the different items? I've been using some molotov/antidote/paper/pebbles but there seems to be a lot more.
A lot of them I've never even touched, though I doubt I messed with most consumables in Souls until a second or third playthrough.

I've used the alluring skulls type item (pungent cocktail?) a few times, helpful with fast group enemies like dogs to distract them. I use Pebbles a hell of a lot to draw out enemies one at a time, I always top up at the shop with whatever spare souls I have, same with Shining Coins which come in handy in Chalice Dungeons and I used them my first time through the Forbidden Woods to note areas I'd already looted.

That was patched :(

Well I'm so close to finis the questso now I'm gonna do it for sure, but the rune doesn't do much of a difference.

Fighting him on the stairs he can lose aggro and walk back to his beginning point, at which point he will not retaliate to your attacks until he is in a certain range of that spot.

A good chance to smash him down a bit or to heal without fear of getting shot or rolled up on.

Ferr986

Fighting him on the stairs he can lose aggro and walk back to his beginning point, at which point he will not retaliate to your attacks until he is in a certain range of that spot.

A good chance to smash him down a bit or to heal without fear of getting shot or rolled up on.

Thanks! I noticed that but once I approached him he went nuts to me again fast lol

Gonna try again tonight. Doesn't help that I'm going kinda low level (preparing this char for the DLC).

Jamesways

Beat Micolash and Mergo's Wet Nurse last night. Man, that Micolash fight was a long one.

Mergo's area is farming heaven!

Just have Cainhurst to go before the end.

Joined the Platinum club (too late for the theme, boo). Ready for DLC.

I think I'll have at least a pause with the ''other souls games''. I do own Demon's Souls from PS+, got to the second boss but just didn't hook me like BB. Dark Souls I have on PC from Steam sale but never tried that. Maybe I'll jump to one of those some day.

I think I'll have at least a pause with the ''other souls games''. I do own Demon's Souls from PS+, got to the second boss but just didn't hook me like BB. Dark Souls I have on PC from Steam sale but never tried that. Maybe I'll jump to one of those some day.
I'm playing through Demons again now. If you can deal with Bloodborne then Demon's is doable. It's not slow as shit like Dark Souls 2.

I'm making a D&D character right now partially inspired by Djura. The whole "fighting the lycanthropes" thing until realizing they're humans. But he takes a different approach. His disillusioned sense of good makes him swear to cleanse and purify all the poor souls with fire.

I'm making a D&D character right now partially inspired by Djura. The whole "fighting the lycanthropes" thing until realizing they're humans. But he takes a different approach. His disillusioned sense of good makes him swear to cleanse and purify all the poor souls with fire.

Interesting. What class are you going with? I'm guessing Fighter or Ranger, and carrying a crossbow and a melee weapon?

Don't. Dark Souls is the only game I consider to be the equal of BB. And I don't mean from this series, but in general. Please give it a go, it's incredible and actually better than BB in some respects.

RiggyRob

Had a very productive day yesterday - defeated both Cleric Beast and Father Gascoigne, met the guy in Oedon Chapel and sent the bitchy old lady there (I completely forgot that Iosefka's Clinic could count as a safe place too), and now I'm working my way down through where all the red-eyed screaming enemies are (which I assume is Frenzy).

I got the Flamesprayer from Gilbert, which is cool but it eats up bullets extremely quickly, and I gave the Red-Jewelled Brooch to Viola and Gascoigne's daughter and nows she's disappeared (I probably should have used the music box in the fight, but oh well).

I'm having a lot of fun just exploring and scoping out the environment, it's really neat how the game tells the story through yourself investigating, almost like Metroid Prime.

Just started a new character going with skill/bloodtinge build this time. omg the whip cane is so legit! I really like the move-set and trick transformation for it.

Watching Aris play through it again made me want to finally beat it. Aris was right that it's funner to play Bloodborne than thinking of playing Bloodborne and that's why I didn't play it for so long but once I got started, I played it all day yesterday.

Made it to
Gehrman
and Goddamn, my shit is getting pushed IN. I'm done for the day and now regretting
eating those three umbilical cords.

I went through 120 bullets and 60 vials, only getting to 60% once and usually only getting to 80%. This is easily the worst I've done on a boss. I usually them done in ~5 tries except for the Shadow that took 40-something tries.

Top Bottom