• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Also, is there a recommended time/level to do Pthumeru Chalice? I've not really been paying attention to the Chalice Dungeons, I should probably have a go at one and see what they're like.
I think the first few are quite easy and can be done as soon as you get access. If you come to these early ones much later even the bosses at the end of each floor will die in 3 or 4 hits.

Thanks. I'm not sure how to parry. I've selected the axe and I'm wondering if I should have gone with something else.
You'll soon be able to buy the other starter weapons cheap in the Hunter's Dream. They're all good actually with different uses - I'm towards the end of my first playthrough and I've used both the axe and the saw cleaver throughout probably 30/70. The transform combo attacks do work on enemies, I can't remember what the axe attack is so maybe it's a bit more situational, but the saw cleaver has a great arcing transform attack that's useful when you're attacking one enemies then his friends come to join.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Beat Vicar Amelia in one go yesterday, the Tonitrus was extremely useful (it looked like I could stagger her if I did enough damage while it was charged)
Whoa, you fought her with Tonitrus? Even using the "shortcut" I usually get to Unseen Village way after killing her. Yeah I imagine it's a strong weapon against her, though she's actually weaker to fire than bolt.

Also, is there a recommended time/level to do Pthumeru Chalice? I've not really been paying attention to the Chalice Dungeons, I should probably have a go at one and see what they're like.
Depth 1 should be easy enough. It's not overly hard even if you do it as soon as you get the first chalice. Depth 2 isn't too bad either but depth 3 might be quite tough for early-game. So yeah, try it now. If you do it later you'll be overpowered and it'll be far more boring.

So because there's nothing else I'd rather play than Bloodborne (again), I was thinking of doing a couple of runs with different characters (pure skill, pure strength, skill/bt) up to the point around where the DLC will be available, so I can try out the different weapons in the DLC with different characters. I'm thinking just before
Rom? Not sure if I want to enter the bloodmoon phase.
Is there any indication from From about where this will take place? I consider this the halfway point I guess.

Man, the rifle spear made my life so much easier in the woods. The 2H thrust attack made short work of the snake dudes - they were always tricky to parry for me.

Absolutely loving the cane too. Cleric Beast with the cane unupgraded proved to be a challenge but the rest of the bosses so far I got on the first go without that much trouble.

So because there's nothing else I'd rather play than Bloodborne (again), I was thinking of doing a couple of runs with different characters (pure skill, pure strength, skill/bt) up to the point around where the DLC will be available, so I can try out the different weapons in the DLC with different characters. I'm thinking just before
Rom? Not sure if I want to enter the bloodmoon phase.
Is there any indication from From about where this will take place? I consider this the halfway point I guess.

Man, the rifle spear made my life so much easier in the woods. The 2H thrust attack made short work of the snake dudes - they were always tricky to parry for me.

Absolutely loving the cane too. Cleric Beast with the cane unupgraded proved to be a challenge but the rest of the bosses so far I got on the first go without that much trouble.
A Threaded Cane and Rifle Spear combo gives you an insane amount of range options to tackle a fight. The thrust damage on the spear will make certain enemies later on a breeze. Pretty much if it looks like an alien use the spear.

RiggyRob

I think the first few are quite easy and can be done as soon as you get access. If you come to these early ones much later even the bosses at the end of each floor will die in 3 or 4 hits.

Whoa, you fought her with Tonitrus? Even using the "shortcut" I usually get to Unseen Village way after killing her. Yeah I imagine it's a strong weapon against her, though she's actually weaker to fire than bolt.

Depth 1 should be easy enough. It's not overly hard even if you do it as soon as you get the first chalice. Depth 2 isn't too bad either but depth 3 might be quite tough for early-game. So yeah, try it now. If you do it later you'll be overpowered and it'll be far more boring.

Cool, I'll try it out tonight. Yeah, instead of coming out of Oedon Chapel and going right up the stairs I went left down the stairs, carried on that way and unlocked the lift up and never went back to Oedon Chapel until later. It was a bit of a shock dying to one of the enemies with a massive bag thing and then waking up in Hypogean Gaol.

Also, the NPCs are weird in this game. I told the guy in past the cathedral to go to Oedon Chapel and he told me he didn't believe me, and then he went there anyway!

AEREC

So does each New Game+ get harder? I missed so much in my first run because I was kind rushing through the game...I'm taking it slow the second time around but still want to finish before the DLC drops.

Just wondering if my third NG+ will be insanely difficult.

So does each New Game+ get harder? I missed so much in my first run because I was kind rushing through the game...I'm taking it slow the second time around but still want to finish before the DLC drops.

Yes they get harder. NG+ Amelia will probably push your shit in.

Nose Master

Friend is in Night
mare of Mensis
and Frenzy is affecting the enemies as well. I don't remember it doing that in my game.

Meh. When I was farming endings for the platinum I got through NG++ in like 2 hours. It tapers off a lot after the first one, imo. It's slightly harder, but not quite the jump that NG+ is from NG.

AEREC

Yes they get harder. NG+ Amelia will probably push your shit in.

The vicar chick in the cathedral? Actually beat her last night on first try in NG+. Also found the Chenlock? Lane Witches insanely easy this time around too. Blood Starved beast gave me a lot of trouble though on NG+

RiggyRob

I really need to avoid the wiki, I'm getting sucked into trying to find out more about items and then reading something I didn't want to know.

I think I'm going to be sick.

My Dark Souls muscle memory is preventing me from playing this game well. I need tips. I just want to advance beyond the torch I'm at (big guy is pounding at the door a little bit on). I've taken a long break since launch to tackle other games and coming back I'm just frustrated by my lack of skill. I can make it as far as the two werewolves if I'm lucky and I just can't win.

I just want my shield =[.

This is the entire reason Miyazaki removed shields from BB, they are a crutch that prevent you from easing into other play styles. I was there too, coming from two Dark Souls playthroughs and having trouble even getting to the first bosses in BB. But believe me, the rewards are SO worth it. The beautiful dance that BB combat becomes, not unlike a Hideki Kamiya game, is so much more satisfying than the tanky shield-based combat possible in DS.

If you were used to parrying in DS, remember that the gun serves the same function in BB. Otherwise, try to skip past all enemies and unlock the shortcuts. Are you levelling up yet?

No you don't!
It's not too long until you actually get one!

Like that'll be of any use to him except against projectiles...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Also, the NPCs are weird in this game. I told the guy in past the cathedral to go to Oedon Chapel and he told me he didn't believe me, and then he went there anyway!
Er...
you must have told him to go to Iosefka's, because this guy goes in the opposite direction of where you point him towards. xD

RiggyRob

Er...
you must have told him to go to Iosefka's, because this guy goes in the opposite direction of where you point him towards. xD

That's...strange. I told him to go to Oedon Chapel first, but he didn't seem to want any of it, so I told him to go to Iosefka's Clinic after that, and he didn't seem to respond to that either.

Like I said, Bloodborne NPCs are weird.

Giever

Though I love Bloodborne, I actually kinda can't wait for the return of shields in Dark Souls 3, and I hope they aren't gimped or anything. I don't prefer them because they're easier, I just enjoy that playstyle more.

In Bloodborne I feel like I'm constantly baiting attacks and just dashing behind dudes. Plus it's so easy to stunlock most enemies it's kind of a joke. I liked having a shield and fighting lots of enemies that also had shields in Dark Souls, the somewhat more difficult management of stamina, waiting for an opening, etc. I just found that all more fun than what I got from Bloodborne.

I don't know if I'm doing a good job of explaining it, but the slower and more methodical shielded combat in Dark Souls just appealed to me more. Each encounter felt more like a little dance, and I was able to think of the enemies as actually being sort of intelligent entities. In Bloodborne I'm sort of just dashing through and spamming attack on a lot of enemies and then moving on to the next one.

Like, I definitely get the appeal of BB's combat, I'm just saying I have a preference for shield combat beyond them being easier & safer.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That's...strange. I told him to go to Oedon Chapel first, but he didn't seem to want any of it, so I told him to go to Iosefka's Clinic after that, and he didn't seem to respond to that either.

Like I said, Bloodborne NPCs are weird.
Like I said,
he goes in the opposite direction you guide him to. Since you told him to go to Iosefka's Clinic in the end, he went to the Chapel.

Though I love Bloodborne, I actually kinda can't wait for the return of shields in Dark Souls 3, and I hope they aren't gimped or anything. I don't prefer them because they're easier, I just enjoy that playstyle more.

In Bloodborne I feel like I'm constantly baiting attacks and just dashing behind dudes. Plus it's so easy to stunlock most enemies it's kind of a joke. I liked having a shield and fighting lots of enemies that also had shields in Dark Souls, the somewhat more difficult management of stamina, waiting for an opening, etc. I just found that all more fun than what I got from Bloodborne.

I don't know if I'm doing a good job of explaining it, but the slower and more methodical shielded combat in Dark Souls just appealed to me more. Each encounter felt more like a little dance, and I was able to think of the enemies as actually being sort of intelligent entities. In Bloodborne I'm sort of just dashing through and spamming attack on a lot of enemies and then moving on to the next one.

Like, I definitely get the appeal of BB's combat, I'm just saying I have a preference for shield combat outside beyond them being easier & safer.
Yeah sword and board combat is definitely fun. I like both styles, but I really like how varied the approaches are in Souls games as opposed to Bloodborne.

Ebriatas and The One Reborn down.

Ebriatas gave me heaps of trouble, I think I got her down less than 25% HP about a dozen times and each time killed by something different - the charge, the multi-hit thrashing, the grab, frenzy, camera craziness. I liked this fight though, it reminds me of Amelia a bit and I like that.

The Tower Knight Reborn was pretty easy, this was only the second time I faced it, first time was on my SL4 character and I died instantly to the vomit which I didn't even realise was there until it was too late, it almost got me this time but managed to get out just in time and heal. I needed an easy boss after Ebriatas.

Speaking of Amelia, just beat her with only the torch. Boss starts @ 6:18. Video is still processing so it'll prolly look like butts for a bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqXkTT2F4Wk
Cool stuff. The torch was doing pretty good damage.

You get the blood rock in Mensis, you're too low level for Ebrietas as far as I'm concerned but it is possible to beat her at your level. Stuff in Mensis especially the second half can hit hard.

I'm planning to complete Mensis today, level up and then go back to Ebrietas.
One last question, when should I start worrying about a backup save? I really want to finish this game in one playthrough, I checked it and beat all optional bosses so far.

I've put in 70 hours now, tons of other games to play but it keeps pulling me back in untill it's cleared. I just want it to be over now untill the dlc. :p

Jamesways

One last question, when should I start worrying about a backup save? I really want to finish this game in one playthrough, I checked it and beat all optional bosses so far.

I've put in 70 hours now, tons of other games to play but it keeps pulling me back in untill it's cleared. I just want it to be over now untill the dlc. :p

I did the save right before the final fight, after prepping all the item slots for it. Sped things up.

You can probably do the backup save after you beat or get to the last boss, I really don't know since I didn't use that method. I just beat the game three times to get all three endings.
Yeah sword and board combat is definitely fun. I like both styles, but I really like how varied the approaches are in Souls games as opposed to Bloodborne.
I'm playing through Demons Souls again and half the time sword and board just boils down to circling around the guy until you get the window for the back stab. Granted that's not always the case and when you actually have to fight the person the fights are pretty fun, though I practically trivialized the black skeletons hard in 4-1, shit was hilarious.
Ebriatas gave me heaps of trouble, I think I got her down less than 25% HP about a dozen times and each time killed by something different - the charge, the multi-hit thrashing, the grab, frenzy, camera craziness. I liked this fight though, it reminds me of Amelia a bit and I like that.

The Tower Knight Reborn was pretty easy, this was only the second time I faced it, first time was on my SL4 character and I died instantly to the vomit which I didn't even realise was there until it was too late, it almost got me this time but managed to get out just in time and heal. I needed an easy boss after Ebriatas.
The One Reborn has nothing on Tower Knight in my opinion cause it takes more skill and dodging to actually beat Tower Knight than One Reborn, but yeah I did recognize the similarities. It's actually pretty funny seeing ideas in Demons Souls that are still in Bloodborne. And Yeah Ebrieatas is one of my favorite fights as well.

RiggyRob

Had a go at the first two floors of the Pthumeru Chalice dungeon last night and I have to say, it was pretty boring - large, flat, empty areas with a few rats and common mooks, it reminded me of Skyrim's god-awful dungeons. Undead Giant did a lot of damage but it had pretty low health and the three boss room was fairly simple once you managed to coax them out into a one-one situation. I'm just destroying them with the Tonitrus at the moment.

The swinging blades over the walkway was only the third time I've seen a trap though (first was picking up the Beast Blood Pellet and looking at the description while the wolf attacks you from behind, second was picking up the Top Hat set and getting lifted into the air). Plus with the regenerating enemies, I imagine it's a fairly simple (if slow) method to farm Blood Echoes.

Hemwick Charnel Lane next, and now it makes sense why Hypogean Gaol is the third headstone in the Hunter's Dream instead of the second!

Had a go at the first two floors of the Pthumeru Chalice dungeon last night and I have to say, it was pretty boring - large, flat, empty areas with a few rats and common mooks, it reminded me of Skyrim's god-awful dungeons. Undead Giant did a lot of damage but it had pretty low health and the three boss room was fairly simple once you managed to coax them out into a one-one situation. I'm just destroying them with the Tonitrus at the moment.

The swinging blades over the walkway was only the third time I've seen a trap though (first was picking up the Beast Blood Pellet and looking at the description while the wolf attacks you from behind, second was picking up the Top Hat set and getting lifted into the air). Plus with the regenerating enemies, I imagine it's a fairly simple (if slow) method to farm Blood Echoes.

Hemwick Charnel Lane next, and now it makes sense why Hypogean Gaol is the third headstone in the Hunter's Dream instead of the second!
They start getting harder when you hit Lower Pthumeru...some parts of Hintertomb are fucking stupid though.

Anbec7

So far first time player of these type of game, just got to Ya'harl village after the spider Ron fight... and that place is kicking my ass specially the 3 hunters segment so far I killed 2.
How much until I beat the game?
Also I heard there are several endings.. is it possible to get them in one playthrough?

So far first time player of these type of game, just got to Ya'harl village after the spider Ron fight... and that place is kicking my ass specially the 3 hunters segment so far I killed 2.
How much until I beat the game?
Also I heard there are several endings.. is it possible to get them in one playthrough?
Did you do any of the optional areas? If you didn't your pretty close to the end. It's possible to get all the endings in one play through if you back up your save and just keep playing from that and doing the different choices you need. The 3 hunters aren't even that bad as long as you sneak up on the first one back stab him, run back out wait for them to un aggro and then sneak up on him again and then just fight the other two separately. The whip hunter usually chases you, but the other one usually doesn't.

Anbec7

Did you do any of the optional areas? If you didn't your pretty close to the end. It's possible to get all the endings in one play through if you back up your save and just keep playing from that and doing the different choices you need. The 3 hunters aren't even that bad as long as you sneak up on the first one back stab him, run back out wait for them to un aggro and then sneak up on him again and then just fight the other two separately. The whip hunter usually chases you, but the other one usually doesn't.

Yes I did some optional areas, since this is my first run I wanted to go blind. I have found some secrets like when I was sent to some kind of library and helped some NPC's only one old lady died...

So I'm close to the end man what a fantastic game.

Yes I did some optional areas, since this is my first run I wanted to go blind. I have found some secrets like when I was sent to some kind of library and helped some NPC's only one old lady died...

So I'm close to the end man what a fantastic game.

Yeah very close. Which bosses have you fought so far?

Anbec7

Yeah very close. Which bosses have you fought so far?

Just in case

Cleric Beast, Gascoine, Vicar, Blood something beast, The witches, Rom the spider, tried fighting Amygdala in the Nightmare Frontier but got BEAT UP so hard by it so I'm still trying to beat that later on

I could have missed a few but more or less I think all of those

Just in case

Cleric Beast, Gascoine, Vicar, Blood something beast, The witches, Rom the spider, tried fighting Amygdala in the Nightmare Frontier but got BEAT UP so hard by it so I'm still trying to beat that later on

I could have missed a few but more or less I think all of those
You've missed a few, but you get access to another area if you find the key for it in the area you're currently at. Also you need to head back into the Forbidden Woods to find a special shortcut to a very surprising place to get access to another place, which is one of the best levels in the game.

Anbec7

You've missed a few, but you get access to another area if you find the key for it in the area you're currently at. Also you need to head back into the Forbidden Woods to find a special shortcut to a very surprising place to get access to another place, which is one of the best levels in the game.

I hate the forbidden woods lol
I explored quite a bit and can't open the shortcut to the first bonfire before you go into a village.. I guess that's part of it?

I hate the forbidden woods lol
I explored quite a bit and can't open the shortcut to the first bonfire before you go into a village.. I guess that's part of it?
Best thing I can say is that just stick to your left after you cross the first bridge. You know you're on the right path when you see a bunch of dog cages, once you see a hidden cave on the left go there. The Woods aren't that bad when you know where to go. It's actually one of my favorite levels in the game.

Is there an issue with getting off visceral attacks with the threaded cane (I don't mean transformed/whip mode). I came back to my threaded cane character and a lot of times it seems super picky about when I can do a visceral riposte, a lot of the time I'll just end up clipping the enemy with a normal attack (but no damage is done), too close maybe?

I never had this problem with the other starter weapons, and mainly talking large enemies here - like the Chalice Dungeon big butchers and the flame dog (which this weapon sucks against any way, I killed it mainly with bullets).

You know, in a lot of ways Bloodborne is practically Demons Souls 2. I've had numerous "Bloodborne had a moment like that" moments while playing Demons Souls so far. Granted even Dark Souls has carry over from Demons Souls.

Melchiah

Is there an issue with getting off visceral attacks with the threaded cane (I don't mean transformed/whip mode). I came back to my threaded cane character and a lot of times it seems super picky about when I can do a visceral riposte, a lot of the time I'll just end up clipping the enemy with a normal attack (but no damage is done), too close maybe?

I never had this problem with the other starter weapons, and mainly talking large enemies here - like the Chalice Dungeon big butchers and the flame dog (which this weapon sucks against any way, I killed it mainly with bullets).

I've had that many times, but I always thought I just judged the distance wrong. And when that happens I don't recall the swings missing the target. I didn't have problems with beating the Defiled Watchdog with the Cane though.

I've had that many times, but I always thought I just judged the distance wrong. And when that happens I don't recall the swings missing the target. I didn't have problems with beating the Defiled Watchdog with the Cane though.
Glad it's not just me. Backstabs are fine it's just ripostes after a shot-gun, I tend to want to wait a beat to make sure it connects.

I'm probably not getting in close enough with the Watchdog, there are some enemies in this game I have a depth perception problem with (the fireball spitting flower things I always misjudge how close they are - their range is obscene!)

Melchiah

Glad it's not just me. Backstabs are fine it's just ripostes after a shot-gun, I tend to want to wait a beat to make sure it connects.

I'm probably not getting in close enough with the Watchdog, there are some enemies in this game I have a depth perception problem with (the fireball spitting flower things I always misjudge how close they are - their range is obscene!)

I dunno if it's a bug in my case, or if I just tried to do the riposte too hastily. The fact it usually happened with bosses (like Logarius and BSB) kinda implies the latter. I also frequently start swinging the cane a bit too early, so the first strike misses.

Yeah, I had the same experience with the Watchdog. Sometimes I missed him with the whip due to being too far, and sometimes I went too close when he was doing the biting attack. I suspect it might be due to depth perception, like you said.

The cane is the only weapon I've fought the Watchdog with, I one shotted Defiled Watchdog with it. I think it's the best cause of the range advantage. I've missed a couple of viscerals with it, I usually just roll into the enemy and do a visceral. I think you just need to get used to judging the distance right, takes some getting used to.

TP-DK

Are there any stores who have put up the physical edition of the expansion?

And do we know if it will be on the disc with the main game, or if it will just be a code?

So I got to a place where some weird eyed things are attacking me... causing Frenzy any tips?
It's just one big giant weird eyed thing...oh yeah those fuckers. Pretty much carry sedatives in your hot key, try to sneak up on something with eyes literally in the back of their heads, combo them, if they aren't dead, roll away when they extend their arms, then rush back in and kill them. Also having the frenzy resist rune and armor that has good frenzy resistance helps. If this was Demons or Dark Souls you could deal with them at a distance with a bow, but not in Bloodborne.

myco666

So I got to a place where some weird eyed things are attacking me... causing Frenzy any tips?

Nightmare Frontier? You can drop down to a ledge almost immediately after the tunnel and bypass her totally. If you want to kill her have 100% life attack, dodge her grab, heal after frenzy hits and attack again. Also get rid of your insight if you have bunch since it lowers your Frenzy resist.

Jamesways

They're so misunderstood. They sing to you. They just want a hug and kiss. Not really their fault they cause madness and frenzy.

You know, in a lot of ways Bloodborne is practically Demons Souls 2. I've had numerous "Bloodborne had a moment like that" moments while playing Demons Souls so far. Granted even Dark Souls has carry over from Demons Souls.

How so? I haven't played Demon's Souls yet so I'm curious how they are similar. What makes it closer to Demon's Souls than, say, Dark Souls?

Top Bottom