• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Well that explains it. My BT build did 1300 damage with Evelyn + BMA on Ebrietas. High BT makes the main game version really trivial.
I think my main bloodtinge build might be in the high 40's cause I split skill and bloodtinge stats, pistol is probably more upgraded on that character though. I really did just go cold turkey on the game after I got the platinum, will be fun looking at everything again when the DLC comes out, too bad it's not out tomorrow. Can't wait to go through that shit on NG++ with like a level 158 character or something and get fucking slaughtered I bet.
The charge eats like 70% of the zone since her tentacles have huge hitboxes. If you are in the very center regardles of distance say goodbye to 90% of your life or an instant kill if you didnt spend above 40 for vitality.

1660349_o.gif
I only survived the charge cause my vit was level 50.

Sheesh looking at that video it just shows how hard that charge is to dodge. The hitbox is way too big. Also what are your stats in this? Your Evelyn damage seems to be rather low with BMA.

Backstep then sidestep, to evade charge attack.

You can sidestep it, but the timing window is so low...

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
just fired this game up after a while is there a reason why they havent fixed the frame pacing issues yet or they just lazy as fuck?

AEREC

just fired this game up after a while is there a reason why they havent fixed the frame pacing issues yet or they just lazy as fuck?

No idea...at this point I don't think it will be fixed unless they sneak in engine modifications with the DLC.

Doesnt bother me too much anymore if Bloodborne is the only game Im playing...but to go back and forth between Bloodborne and MGSV really takes an adjustment.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Play it offline it runs smoother since it wont take the online features to slow down the game.

No idea...at this point I don't think it will be fixed unless they sneak in engine modifications with the DLC.

Doesnt bother me too much anymore if Bloodborne is the only game Im playing...but to go back and forth between Bloodborne and MGSV really takes an adjustment.

answer: Laziness

Holy shit... I need a few tips, guys (endgame spoilers follow)...

Gerhman the First Hunter is like the nastiest parts of Gwyn, Lord of Cinder mixed with Nashandra mixed with Father Gascoigne mixed with Artorias mixed with False King Allant. He is, to me, the hardest boss in any of these games, and by a modest margin. He's too ferocious to risk attacking, and too quick to recover for me to get a hit in (with the Threaded Fucking Cane). Parrying helps, but it isn't entirely reliable and is pretty damn difficult to pull off. Don't get me wrong, this boss is mostly fair, just extremely grueling. Is there any general advice people could give me?

In addition, Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos, is also incredibly difficult for me, and also hugely impressive, too. Not quite as stuck on her, but perhaps anyone could tell me what level I would need to be to beat these bosses?

Finalow

I think I was doing a Fetid Loran Root Chalice or something. Somebody is farming them here in a Cursed Isz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O3ooXH70aU
Seems like they're in higher level root chalice dungeons.
what's that damage with the rifle spear shotgun, lol. is he level 700 or something

I don't really care about grinding gems or runes right now since I stopped playing pvp, maybe after the dlc comes out I could give that a try. do those witches drops physical damage (20-25%) gems too?

AEREC

Just curious but what exactly is framepacing, is it like 30fps with micro stutter? I consider myself pretty anal about framerate and I find bloodbornes to be pretty bad but I am able to look past it because it's such a good game.

Are there any videos out there that show off the framepacing. I play mostly online but I have tried offline and haven't noticed any difference.

Holy shit... I need a few tips, guys (endgame spoilers follow)...

Gerhman the First Hunter is like the nastiest parts of Gwyn, Lord of Cinder mixed with Nashandra mixed with Father Gascoigne mixed with Artorias mixed with False King Allant. He is, to me, the hardest boss in any of these games, and by a modest margin. He's too ferocious to risk attacking, and too quick to recover for me to get a hit in (with the Threaded Fucking Cane). Parrying helps, but it isn't entirely reliable and is pretty damn difficult to pull off. Don't get me wrong, this boss is mostly fair, just extremely grueling. Is there any general advice people could give me?

In addition, Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos, is also incredibly difficult for me, and also hugely impressive, too. Not quite as stuck on her, but perhaps anyone could tell me what level I would need to be to beat these bosses?

Need to know your stats and weapon before I tell you to get gud

what's that damage with the rifle spear shotgun, lol. is he level 700 or something

I don't really care about grinding gems or runes right now since I stopped playing pvp, maybe after the dlc comes out I could give that a try. do those witches drops physical damage (20-25%) gems too?
I think that video was done before they patched the damage on it when they stack arcane gems on it or something.

myco666

Seriously? They might not have time for fixing it as they see it as a minor problem. From is working on the DLC and Dark Souls 3 and probably even something else atm. Devs for the most cases aren't lazy.

Probably recorder before the patch. Rifle Spear was super broken if you used Arcane gems on it. You could one shot people in PVP with it.

Backstep then sidestep, to evade charge attack.

You can sidestep it, but the timing window is so low...

I have to try this next time and see if it works. Only move that gives me problems in that fight.

Your vitality is on the low side for end game bosses I guess, so that makes it harder. A +10 weapon help of course. He is tough though, that's for sure. I had lots of problems with him and my stats were way higher in vit and strength or skill.

Just as a side note, you don't need to "waste" upgrades on the firearms unless you want them to do bloodtinge damage, which in your case is too low, and there would be better pistols for that anyway.

As a general tip, I guess just try to parry parry parry until you get the timing right. That's the only way I've beaten him on my three runs. Try to use runes that strengthens visceral attacks if you have any, and if you don't at least some that add HP or bullets when doing viscerals.

Alright, fine, I'll bite. :p

+10 Threaded Cane
+8 Hunter's Pistol
19 Vitality
20 Endurance
12 Strength
29 Skill
15 Arcane
15 Bloodtinge

I'm level 70, IIRC. Perhaps I'm just not especially good at the game? Probably. ;-;

Your VIT is too low, no wonder you have such a hard time.

Better stop spreading those points between multiple stats (you don't need Bloodtinge if you won't use any of it's weapons, and you can stop leveling Arcane as well) and focus on Skill and VIT

myco666

+10 Threaded Cane
+8 Hunter's Pistol
19 Vitality
20 Endurance
12 Strength
29 Skill
15 Arcane
15 Bloodtinge

I'm level 70, IIRC. Perhaps I'm just not especially good at the game? Probably. ;-;

As other have said your Vit is on the lower side. Your build seems rather messy also but this is your first time through so it is to be expected. Get your Vit up to 30 and Skill up to 40 or even 50. After that you can spend points on End or BT. Also what gems are you using on your Cane? You also get +20% BT damage gem for your gun from Mensis so go get it if you don't have it already.

Your vitality is on the low side for end game bosses I guess, so that makes it harder. A +10 weapon help of course. He is tough though, that's for sure. I had lots of problems with him and my stats were way higher in vit and strength or skill.

Just as a side note, you don't need to "waste" upgrades on the firearms unless you want them to do bloodtinge damage, which in your case is too low, and there would be better pistols for that anyway.

As a general tip, I guess just try to parry parry parry until you get the timing right. That's the only way I've beaten him on my three runs. Try to use runes that strengthens visceral attacks if you have any, and if you don't at least some that add HP or bullets when doing viscerals.

Your VIT is too low, no wonder you have such a hard time.

Better stop spreading those points between multiple stats (you don't need Bloodtinge if you won't use any of it's weapons, and you can stop leveling Arcane as well) and focus on Skill and VIT

As other have said your Vit is on the lower side. Your build seems rather messy also but this is your first time through so it is to be expected. Get your Vit up to 30 and Skill up to 40 or even 50. After that you can spend points on End or BT. Also what gems are you using on your Cane? You also get +20% BT damage gem for your gun from Mensis so go get it if you don't have it already.

Yeah, I normally just wing it randomly as I go along on my first playthrough in Souls games, and this one went worse than ever, I concede. ;-; I wasted points in Arcane so I could use some arcane stuff for fun, just to see what they looked like, and I forget why I spent stuff on Bloodtinge.

So my vitality is too low? I figured, but I'll act on that now. Just level it up as much as possible for about 10 levels or so? I always valued Endurance in these games more, but yeah, I see the issue.

My gems are mainly just kinda decent attack ones, like 'increase attack by 20%' or something, I couldn't say off the top of my head. I wouldn't say my damage output is especially poor or anything, just that I need more of other things.

And parrying is pretty much essential? Pfft, alright then. I guess I need to do that proper as well. Which is risky and scary, tbh. But eh, I'm willing to bet that he's generally accepted to be among the hardest bosses in the game, so I'll just level up Vitality and Skill a bit more. Thanks for the advice, guys!

myco666

Yeah, I normally just wing it randomly as I go along on my first playthrough in Souls games, and this one went worse than ever, I concede. ;-; I wasted points in Arcane so I could use some arcane stuff for fun, just to see what they looked like, and I forget why I spent stuff on Bloodtinge.

So my vitality is too low? I figured, but I'll act on that now. Just level it up as much as possible for about 10 levels or so? I always valued Endurance in these games more, but yeah, I see the issue.

My gems are mainly just kinda decent attack ones, like 'increase attack by 20%' or something, I couldn't say off the top of my head. I wouldn't say my damage output is especially poor or anything, just that I need more of other things.

And parrying is pretty much essential? Pfft, alright then. I guess I need to do that proper as well. Which is risky and scary, tbh. But eh, I'm willing to bet that he's generally accepted to be among the hardest bosses in the game, so I'll just level up Vitality and Skill a bit more. Thanks for the advice, guys!

Then you are fine on gems. Good. 30 Vit is more or less what I always have at the end of the game so I would highly recommend it. 20 End is enough considering how low the stamina costs are in this game.

Parrying isn't really essential for the fight but it makes it really easy as with all humanoid enemies. You can also just try to keep dodging but I find that to be even more riskier considering you can parry from safe distance.

Also a warning for endgame
once you will be put into NG+ instantly unless you have the requirements for "true" final boss. So you might want to deal with Ebrietas first.

RiggyRob

How good are the Hunters Tools like Augur of Ebrietas/Beast Roar in PvE? I noticed that they have certain Arcane requirements and use Quicksilver bullets, and since I'm doing an Arcane build I was wondering if it's somehow possible to use a two handed weapon like Ludwig's Holy Blade and still have access to a parry mechanic of some sort.

myco666

How good are the Hunters Tools like Augur of Ebrietas/Beast Roar in PvE? I noticed that they have certain Arcane requirements and use Quicksilver bullets, and since I'm doing an Arcane build I was wondering if it's somehow possible to use a two handed weapon like Ludwig's Holy Blade and still have access to a parry mechanic of some sort.

Augur of Ebrietas can one shot pretty much everything in Nightmare Frontier and it has knockback ability so I would say it is decent at PvE. Never really used Beast Roar but I would assume it works more or less as a parry. You can reflect projectiles with it and it also has knockback ability which is pretty good for stunlocking enemies to infinity.

And parrying is pretty much essential?
Definitely not. Personally, I'd only recommend parrying the attack where he does a long windup followed by two big circular swipes, especially if you've already tried parrying him a lot and struggled with it. If you practice doing it a bit (from a safe distance) you should be able to find the timing pretty easily for that specific attack (just before he swings I think). For the rest though I'd say just focus on learning how to dodge each attack and punish it.

The Artorias comparison is very apt I think, and just like with that classic fight, you'll want to experiment with dodging each attack forward, backward, and to the side, as different dodges are more effective against different attacks.

The Flash

Banned
Opened up a hidden path and discovered a bunch of sweet loot. Haven't met Cleric Beast yet but I killed a bunch of birds, trolls, and a giant pig.

AEREC

Started a new BT\Skill character with the cane. Is whip mode basically crowd control and and cane mode single target? Cane mode seems to do more damage vs a single target than whip mode.

Regarding other weapons, I'm assuming stuff like Ludwigs and the Axe do more damage in 2H mode but the stat sheet always displays the same amount of damage no matter what mode you are in.

Started a new BT\Skill character with the cane. Is whip mode basically crowd control and and cane mode single target? Cane mode seems to do more damage vs a single target than whip mode.

Regarding other weapons, I'm assuming stuff like Ludwigs and the Axe do more damage in 2H mode but the stat sheet always displays the same amount of damage no matter what mode you are in.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the cane does church damage (bonus against enemies in Cainhurst for example), while the whip does serrated damage (bonus vs beast bosses and werewolves and the like). The cane is better at stunlocking single targets due to its faster speed, but the whip can also do that pretty well against most enemies, and sometimes groups, because of the increased range.

2h in general does more damage, has greater range, and can have more attacks that stun (Kickhammer has an AOE stun even if you miss but the blow was close, Axe can spin2win knockdown, LHB can pancake), while 1h is usually faster, and of course let's you parry with your pistol out.

Whip mode is really good for distance and crowd control, whip mode also carries the serrated bonus damage that you get from weapons like the saw spear and saw cleaver, I think cane mode also gets church damage or whatever so it's good for those ghost floating bitches in the chalice dungeons. Yeah cane mode is better against single targets though if you want to get in close. It's good against certain things, though there are certain enemies I do not want to get too close to so it's a judgment call.

neoemonk

+10 Threaded Cane
+8 Hunter's Pistol
19 Vitality
20 Endurance
12 Strength
29 Skill
15 Arcane
15 Bloodtinge

I just finished the game at level 70 this morning, also used Threaded Cane for 99% of it.

My stats are slightly different though. I stopped leveling vitality at 20, and my endurance is 15. I pumped skill up to 50 and whatever is left over was split between strength, bloodtinge, and arcane. Maybe 10 in arcane and whatever the minimum strength to try out Ludwig's Holy Blade.

For what it's worth I spent probably ten hours over four days fighting Ebrietas at level 53 just last week. Everyone has different problems in these games, so I doubt it means you're not good. I think it took me ten tries to beat the One Reborn and pretty much the whole internet said it was one of the easiest bosses. In fact the Witch of Charnel Lane or whatever is the only boss I beat in one try in Bloodborne.

First off, I was able to interrupt Gehrman a lot by smashing R1. I dabbled with parrying him for several deaths but got frustrated because when he charged the uppercut it seemed to not set up the visceral attack and I would just get killed. I don't know if the difference that we have invested in skill will prevent you from staggering, but it's worth trying I think.

I would bait out a combo, and then close in for multiple hits with the threaded cane, and jump away at the last second with a smidge in my endurance bar. Sometimes he would jump back mid-combo, so I would too and recharge stamina. Sometimes I couldn't knock him out of his uppercut so I had to be ready to roll if my hit didn't knock him out of his animation.

When he switches over to blade form, I started strafing, both to prevent getting hit by his firearm and because I found it easier to get out of his long combo. Same idea though, bait it out and then punish.

At some point he puts his arms in the ground to charge up, and then he's open to a backstab. I was able to get him twice in the fight that I won.

I tend to keep medium distance, and then jump back a few times to heal. Keep your blood vials at 20 for the fight. I used five when I finally defeated him, but I had another fight that was very very close that I burned 13 on.

Take deep breaths between each fight :D

That last one may just be me. I hold my breath in tense moments so I force myself to breathe on loading screens.

He's tough and I died a lot but I was able to do beat him in under two hours. You can do it!

Fucking FINALLY, Gehrman at no leveling up run is fucking down after 3 fucking bloody weeks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOZKMC9QxhA

no more runs like this until DaS3.

my God lol.

This video is great. It's the ultimate parry tutorial. I didn't know you could parry after a swing. I was always trying to get him during charge.

Need a little bit of advice from people that have completed at least 3 playthroughs with one hunter.

So I just started playthrough #4 with my main hunter and I fear that I'm quite overleveled due to completing Chalice Dungeons. Is 220 really high for this part of the game? I've progressed just a little in Central Yharnam and have been killing everything in 1-2 hits with my +10 Hunter Axe. I don't want The Old Hunters to be easy as pie when I play it; should I run through the game one more time, doing only the necessary stuff and leveling up very little, so I won't be quite so overleveled in playthrough #5?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Need a little bit of advice from people that have completed at least 3 playthroughs with one hunter.

So I just started playthrough #4 with my main hunter and I fear that I'm quite overleveled due to completing Chalice Dungeons. Is 220 really high for this part of the game? I've progressed just a little in Central Yharnam and have been killing everything in 1-2 hits with my +10 Hunter Axe. I don't want The Old Hunters to be easy as pie when I play it; should I run through the game one more time, doing only the necessary stuff and leveling up very little, so I won't be quite so overleveled in playthrough #5?
Use lower level weapons if you're too concerned.

NG+ All bosses done.
Platinum GET.

Not sure what to do now whilst waiting for the DLC. I will probably try to finish off my SL4 run. I do want to keep playing, but I don't feel the desire to try out different builds - I think this is one thing where it differs from Souls since I am still playing those games and want to play different builds, but in BB I feel like the weapons don't really give much of a sense of having a different build, actually I don't really like a lot of them. I haven't tried arcane at all yet though so maybe I'll try that.

neoemonk

NG+ All bosses done.
Platinum GET.

Not sure what to do now whilst waiting for the DLC. I will probably try to finish off my SL4 run. I do want to keep playing, but I don't feel the desire to try out different builds - I think this is one thing where it differs from Souls since I am still playing those games and want to play different builds, but in BB I feel like the weapons don't really give much of a sense of having a different build, actually I don't really like a lot of them. I haven't tried arcane at all yet though so maybe I'll try that.

How did you do three endings in two runs? I haven't decided if I want to go for the platinum yet, but if I do I don't know if I want to find a work around or just do three runs.

How did you do three endings in two runs? I haven't decided if I want to go for the platinum yet, but if I do I don't know if I want to find a work around or just do three runs.
I got two of the endings just from both runs and the third from saving to USB before I ate the umbical cords on NG+. I think I like that ending the best actually
where you take Gerhman's place

+10 Threaded Cane
+8 Hunter's Pistol
19 Vitality
20 Endurance
12 Strength
29 Skill
15 Arcane
15 Bloodtinge

Vitality is too low for that part of the game, you need to raise it at 30 to 40 at least.if your main weapon is the TC then you need to invest in Skill primary to 35 to 50 so far you spread your points in several not vital stats on your build.

Maybe is your first run so its okay to experiment several weapons but then you will realize you have to focus on one at very late of the game and you could already spend a good bunch of points in other stats already you will be a little overpowered at the end of the game when you focus on one weapon and reajust your points to vitality, skill and endurance.

GeNoMe

good lord....I have just finished all the mandatory bosses to end the game. But I feel like I missed so much stuff (npc quests, areas to find, etc). This is the first FROM game I have ever played, I thought about giving up many times, but I stuck with it. Is there a overview of all the areas and quests that you can do to platinum this game? I'm willing to give it a go, this will be my first platinum ever if follow through.

What an experience this was! If DS3 is every bit as good as BB was? I'm gonna be in for a treat! Oh, I wanted to share this youtube video for the people who had trouble understanding the lore/story. Half the time I didn't know what the fuck was going on, this video helped a lot.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Okay. Random thoughts so far:

This game is ten times more unnerving than either Dark Souls.

Keep getting
thrown in the air and frenzied at points.
No idea what's going on there.

Combat is incredible. Really digging the BoM and Rifle Spear. I know about
The Chikage
and am building towards getting that, wherever it is (I always check the weapon lists before playing but never the locations).

I had to get help with
Vicar Amelia
. I feel ashamed. Done everyone else myself.

Kind of lost at the moment. I found
the gaol
but I think I'm quite under levelled at the moment. May have to have a quick peak at a non-spoilery progression map.

So far, best Souls type game. Easily.

Okay. Random thoughts so far:

This game is ten times more unnerving than either Dark Souls.

Keep getting

Combat is incredible. Really digging the BoM and Rifle Spear. I know about
The Chikage
and am building towards getting that, wherever it is (I always check the weapon lists before playing but never the locations).

I had to get help with
Vicar Amelia
. I feel ashamed. Done everyone else myself.

the gaol
but I think I'm quite under levelled at the moment. May have to have a quick peak at a non-spoilery progression map.

So far, best Souls type game. Easily.

When you finish the game, please go deep into the Lore. It's really awesome and also depressing.

Keep getting
You'll find out what that's about eventually, but stay away from it.... for now!

the gaol
The Goal is tough if you get there this early, but it's worth exploring even if you have to cheese some enemies. The kidnappers seem tough as nails but there's an easy way to kill them
Hit them enough so they do their little charge-up that looks like red electricity, whilst they're doing that go for a free backstab to either finish them off, or almost finish them off

As for ways to go
- Did you explore either side of the Vicar Amelia boss doors?
- After defeating Amelia
and inspecting the skull you now have the password
more detailed:
to the locked doors at the other end of the Chapel Ward, past the area where the brainsucker and lone crow are

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
When you finish the game, please go deep into the Lore. It's really awesome and also depressing.

Sounds like my cup tea! I'm getting a sense of what's going on but, at the same time, I have no idea. :D

You'll find out what that's about eventually, but stay away from it.... for now![/spoiler]

Oh really? Twice now. Never know when it'll happen either.

The Goal is tough if you get there this early, but it's worth exploring even if you have to cheese some enemies. The kidnappers seem tough as nails but there's an easy way to kill them
Hit them enough so they do their little charge-up that looks like red electricity, whilst they're doing that go for a free backstab to either finish them off, or almost finish them off

Those dudes kill me in one kick though and there are usually two of them at a time! I got the second lamp there in the big room, so I may spend my blood echoes and have a root around.

As for ways to go
- Did you explore either side of the Vicar Amelia boss doors?
- After defeating Amelia
and inspecting the skull you now have the password to the locked doors at the other end of the Chapel Ward, past the area where the brainsucker and lone crow are

1) Yup. I did
The Witches
last night. Clever little boss fight. The other direction was the second time I got thrown in the air, so I won't be going back there. Plus, I can't seem to finish off that
2nd NPC Hunter with the lead fetish
. I just sneaked past him.

2) I didn't know that! Where is that (I have no idea what a brainsucker is)?

Those dudes kill me in one kick though and there are usually two of them at a time! I got the second lamp there in the big room, so I may spend my blood echoes and have a root around.
Yeah, they're tough but they drop twin shards frequently so are worth farming this early. They're too tall to pass through a lot of the doorways and paths which helps, I cheesed them on the spiral staircase under the lamp on the doorway down to where the witches are. When you see them go for the charge-up, backstab them.

2) I didn't know that! Where is that (I have no idea what a brainsucker is)?
Have you opened all the gates and explored the rest of the Cathedral Ward? The courtyard where there are two giants and lots of Madman's Knowledge to loot is where you want to look.

Also there is an important way to go from the Cathedral itself, up the lift that is just down/around the corner from the lamp.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, they're tough but they drop twin shards frequently so are worth farming this early. They're too tall to pass through a lot of the doorways and paths which helps, I cheesed them on the spiral staircase under the lamp on the doorway down to where the witches are. When you see them go for the charge-up, backstab them.

I'll give that a shot. Or more accurately, I'll give them a shot. In the back.

Have you opened all the gates and explored the rest of the Cathedral Ward? The courtyard where there are two giants and lots of Madman's Knowledge to loot is where you want to look.

Yeah, I've opened that up. I thought I'd explored around there already but I'll take another look tonight.

Also there is an important way to go from the Cathedral itself, up the lift that is just down/around the corner from the lamp.

Yeah, done that. That's how I found the
The Gaol and the Old Hunter's Workshop

Cheers, man!

wiibomb

Hi everyone!

after getting dat platinum for MGSV I just started this game...

this is my first souls game and it heavily reminds me of Monster Hunter, it has that learning curve and high punishment form that series but I'm slowly getting the ropes of it.

last night after about 10 tries I finally beat the first boss, Father Gascoigne and now I just entered Old Yharnam.

I might need some help, so I would very much appreciate if you could help me when I need it.

Top Bottom