• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Viscerals in the CD's is a serious risk-reward issue though. So many I've stopped in my tracks on the way back to the lamp or boss room when that silhouette appears...

Still, that rune is great. I always equip it immediately. Just love those parries

cr6dfmsuwaaqw6t38o92.jpg

How should I spend my stat points? I play a melee char who fights with the starter axe.

silva1991

NPCs that I want to see in the expansion:

1- the guy at the very beginning of the game

2- younger Gehrman. it will be call if we can kill him as a npc and the doll then becomes the boss instead of him :p

Speaking of the expansion, is NA getting a physical version? Game is coming out in a month or so and I can only find details about the JP or Euro version.

Viscerals in the CD's is a serious risk-reward issue though. So many I've stopped in my tracks on the way back to the lamp or boss room when that silhouette appears...

Still, that rune is great. I always equip it immediately. Just love those parries
I usually did it on enemies in rooms I knew I was never going back to, I also made it a habit to just bold hunters mark out of there whenever I was done with what I knew was the last room of a chalice dungeon so I could get back to the boss door easier and safer.

vladdamad

Started playing this for the first time recently, absolutely loving it, especially the atmosphere and level design. Quick question - after you light the
cathedral
torch, there is an area further on where you pick up the
binoculars/telescope item.
There is an enemy there with a giant ball and chain, and because he swings it in a circle it seems that the attack is impossible to dodge. Do I have to parry him or something? I am going in the other direction for now, just reached the
Blood-starved Beast
, but I'd like to come back to that area and defeat him at some point.

Also, do the environments become more varied at some point? I'm loving how oppressive the city feels but I do sometimes miss the diversity in Dark Souls.

RiggyRob

Started playing this for the first time recently, absolutely loving it, especially the atmosphere and level design. Quick question - after you light the
cathedral
There is an enemy there with a giant ball and chain, and because he swings it in a circle it seems that the attack is impossible to dodge. Do I have to parry him or something? I am going in the other direction for now, just reached the
Blood-starved Beast

Also, do the environments become more varied at some point? I'm loving how oppressive the city feels but I do sometimes miss the diversity in Dark Souls.

It's not impossible to dodge, in fact the giant enemies with weapons tend to be easier the closer you stay to them.

There's a pretty significant difference in atmosphere between Central Yarnham and Old Yarnham, but there's a lot more variety to come when you decide to go up the Cathedral rather than down.

He's annoying, mostly due to the scurrying beast right next to him which is decently valuable that early in the game, and he hits wide and hard as a motherfucker. No way to parry or visceral him as far as I know, just gotta roll into his attacks at the right time to utilize those i-frames, or behind him depending on how he attacks you.

cathedral
Blood-starved Beast

That giant with the ball, take him down just like the ones with am axe - enough hits and it will stagger and you can do a visceral attack if he doesn't die before. He respawns though, so it's up to you whether it's worth killing him.

The environments do get more varied (but still quite muted in tone).

Ratrat

Beat it..
..I chose to sacrifice myself. Will chose the other one on new game+. Unfortunately, that meant Margos Wet Nurse was the last boss in the game for me. Very anticlimactic way to end the game. :(

silva1991

Beat it..
..I chose to sacrifice myself. Will chose the other one on new game+. Unfortunately, that meant Margos Wet Nurse was the last boss in the game for me. Very anticlimactic way to end the game. :(

It's a good thing you choose that ending first. the second final boss for the second ending is the best boss boss for me in the entire series. maybe not the hardest boss, but is the most fun to fight for me.

vladdamad

It's not impossible to dodge, in fact the giant enemies with weapons tend to be easier the closer you stay to them.

There's a pretty significant difference in atmosphere between Central Yarnham and Old Yarnham, but there's a lot more variety to come when you decide to go up the Cathedral rather than down.

He's annoying, mostly due to the scurrying beast right next to him which is decently valuable that early in the game, and he hits wide and hard as a motherfucker. No way to parry or visceral him as far as I know, just gotta roll into his attacks at the right time to utilize those i-frames, or behind him depending on how he attacks you.

That giant with the ball, take him down just like the ones with am axe - enough hits and it will stagger and you can do a visceral attack if he doesn't die before. He respawns though, so it's up to you whether it's worth killing him.

The environments do get more varied (but still quite muted in tone).

Excellent thanks! Will probably get back to that area once I am done with the
Blood-starved Beast
boss.

Ratrat

It's a good thing you choose that ending first. the second final boss for the second ending is the best boss boss for me in the entire series. maybe not the hardest boss, but is the most fun to fight for me.
Good to hear. I know there are bosses and optional areas I missed, plus the chalice dungeons etc. Realy looking forward to playing the game again.

wiibomb

weird, after I backtracked last night to Central Yharnam for some blood vial farming, I found a boss:
Cleric Beast
, I never fought it before but something tells me that it was supposed to be the first boss, instead I found
Father Gascoigne
before that and defeated it, the bosses in this game can be encountered in different order?

weird, after I backtracked last night to Central Yharnam for some blood vial farming, I found a boss:
Cleric Beast
, I never fought it before but something tells me that it was supposed to be the first boss, instead I found
Father Gascoigne
before that and defeated it, the bosses in this game can be encountered in different order?
Some of them can be, some are gateways to the next section, so no. Gascoigne is a gateway boss, but you can do him or Cleric Beast first it just depends who you come upon first when exploring.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Cleric Beast
Father Gascoigne

Exact thing happened to me!

myco666

Cleric Beast
Father Gascoigne

CB is usually everyones first boss since you come find him close to the Central Yharnam lamp. About half of the bosses are totally optional so you can mix up the order you fight them quite alot actually.

Looks fairly slow and very hard hitting from that second it you can see in the trailer. So pumped!

I guess I just missed it. Really interested to see what weapons did they come up with. Only weapon type that I really miss from Souls games is the fist category. Really doubt that they would have included any but you never know.

wiibomb

Some of them can be, some are gateways to the next section, so no. Gascoigne is a gateway boss, but you can do him or Cleric Beast first it just depends who you come upon first when exploring.

interesting, I think I'll backtrack every now and then to check more the places and see what I missed.

BTW, yesterday I fought the
Blood-Starved Beast
and wow, the things was a chaos to fight, the begging was pretty average, but soon after the a fourth or third part of the health is gone the thing starts going mad...

and not only it was difficult because of the many attacks, but also because the things was confusing my vision with the slimy thing it throws when I hit it with anything.

what a chaos of a fight, lol

myco666

You never found the Beast Claws?

Oh yeah those. Found them since I have the trophy but never used them since I stopped using the character that has it once I got platinum. Since you can't acquire that weapon in the main game I always forgot that it even exists. Guess I should give it a try. But I still want straight up fists. Beast Claws still have about as much or even more reach than transformed BoM.

Oh yeah those. Found them since I have the trophy but never used them since I stopped using the character that has it once I got platinum. Since you can't acquire that weapon in the main game I always forgot that it even exists. Guess I should give it a try. But I still want straight up fists. Beast Claws still have about as much or even more reach than transformed BoM.
I have never even used them and I believe both my characters have them. I just don't believe in resorting to fisticuffs to get rid of the beast scurge.

wiibomb

how the hell I missed that
Father Gascoigne
was the
father of the little girl
.. I thought the
"Father"
was because of a religious meaning or something on those lines, like a priest

now the battle had a lot more meaning, and to know I never used the music box, lol

RiggyRob

how the hell I missed that
Father Gascoigne
was the
father of the little girl
.. I thought the
"Father"
was because of a religious meaning or something on those lines, like a priest

now the battle had a lot more meaning, and to know I never used the music box, lol

Actually the
Father
part does have that significance, because
he renounced the ways of the Healing Church, and took a title from a foreign land. Some people think this means there's a connection between Bloodborne and another Souls game but ehhh, I don't see it that way.

rtcn63

I have the chalice dungeons left, but I really enjoyed my first playthrough overall. The streamlining of certain aspects made going (mostly) blind more manageable. I did look up the side content etc. before the last boss though. I used the two-handed greatsword for over half the game, only using visceral attacks on some of the later hunters. Even then, the damage they did was pretty low.

wiibomb

Actually the
Father
part does have that significance, because
he renounced the ways of the Healing Church, and took a title from a foreign land. Some people think this means there's a connection between Bloodborne and another Souls game but ehhh, I don't see it that way.

interesting, I don't have any knowledge from the souls series since this is my first, but it's nice to know that, although I think it is far fetched to think of a connection right now, I'll continue and check any side details I miss later

I seemed to have hit a bit of a brick wall.

Just killed
Vicar Amelia
now I don't know where to go. I've also killed
Father Gascoigne, Cleric Beast, Blood Starved Beast and Witch of Hemwick.

I now have absolutely no idea where to go? It seems I have been everywhere and roads just lead back to each other.

Any help, without spoiling anything?

I hate to ask for help, because I love to play the Souls game by exploring on my own, but I've been running around in circles for a few hours.

myco666

I seemed to have hit a bit of a brick wall.

Just killed
Vicar Amelia
now I don't know where to go. I've also killed
Father Gascoigne, Cleric Beast, Blood Starved Beast and Witch of Hemwick.

I now have absolutely no idea where to go? It seems I have been everywhere and roads just lead back to each other.

Any help, without spoiling anything?

Go to Cathedral Ward Courtyard where there is two Church Giants (the circular area). There is a path to the area you should be going now.

I just read the Eclipse arc this morning, blew my fucking mind. I should look at that trailer again.

Eclipse is fantastic and really changes the tone of the manga/anime from the Golden Age arc. I should go back reading Berserk and buy rest of the volumes.

Top Bottom