• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

ajb1888

Banned
:3 so close I can't wait!

Just wondering if anyone is going to start a new character when the expansion is release. I am planning to do that and replay the game since its been awhile.

I'm planning to roll a new character. Don't want to be too overleveled for the new areas.

I just watched Kinda Funny talk about 'GOTY so far' with Adam Sessler for forty minutes, and Bloodborne didn't get a mention once. They talked about Witcher, MGS, Rocket League and even Mad Max, but not even a whiff of this masterpiece.

To each their own, of course, but I ask you GAF, is Bloodborne going to be horribly overlooked by the media come the year's end?

wiibomb

I just watched Kinda Funny talk about 'GOTY so far' with Adam Sessler for forty minutes, and Bloodborne didn't get a mention once. They talked about Witcher, MGS, Rocket League and even Mad Max, but not even a whiff of this masterpiece.

To each their own, of course, but I ask you GAF, is Bloodborne going to be horribly overlooked by the media come the year's end?

depending on the outlets, for example, GT is quite fond of this game and as recent talks I can clearly see they are giving this game the GOTY, but may be on other outlets not so much.

I still believe this game is appealing to a small demographic, specially because of its cryptic atmosphere, and also the huge difficulty for most people, that's why it might not win much GotY, still I totally see gaf giving it to this game

myco666

Not even talking about BB as GOTY canditate? How wrong can someones opinion be?

I think it will be overlooked by the media for most part which is a shame. The battle will probably go down with Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and MGSV. BB will hopefully get atleast some recognition. To me though BB is easily the best game released this year. Might be even my Game of All Time but I have to give it more time to see if it holds after few years.

The Old Hunters DLC's timely release might put it back in the equation for GOTY in media outlets by reminding them how good the game is.

It's easily going to be my game of the year, no question. I played quite a few other good games that released this year, but Bloodborne is far and away the best.

depending on the outlets, for example, GT is quite fond of this game and as recent talks I can clearly see they are giving this game the GOTY, but may be on other outlets not so much.

I still believe this game is appealing to a small demographic, specially because of its cryptic atmosphere, and also the huge difficulty for most people, that's why it might not win much GotY, still I totally see gaf giving it to this game
Fuck game outlets, Bloodborne is my legit game of the year hands down. MGS V is nowhere near as fun or engrossing and I have yet to play Witcher 3. Just the fact alone that Witcher 3 won't allow me to play as a female marks it down a bit.

wiibomb

Fuck game outlets, Bloodborne is my legit game of the year hands down. MGS V is nowhere near as fun or engrossing and I have yet to play Witcher 3. Just the fact alone that Witcher 3 won't allow me to play as a female marks it down a bit.

got to disagree with you, just by entering bloodborne I noticed there are far less options and approaches for blooborne and several other things that MGSV do better, but even with that I'm seeing the amount of potential from this game and as with MGSV, I'm eager to get home and play it once more.

I have this game and MGSV on my radar for GOTY, though I still have to play witcher 3 and I won't have time for fallout 4

got to disagree with you, just by entering bloodborne I noticed there are far less options and approaches for blooborne and several other things that MGSV do better, but even with that I'm seeing the amount of potential from this game and as with MGSV, I'm eager to get home and play it once more.

I have this game and MGSV on my radar for GOTY, though I still have to play witcher 3 and I won't have time for fallout 4
I don't exactly enjoy the grind for either fuel resources or GMP in MGS V. The game play feels great don't get me wrong, but that one aspect of MGS V causes me to get bored with it and play other things. With Bloodborne I just played Bloodborne until I platinumed it. I'm most likely playing MGS V for a bit when I get home today instead of Demons Souls, but there's a difference between overall fun gameplay mechanics and fun with playing the game. MGS V has better mechanics, but I have more fun with Bloodborne if that makes any kind of sense.

wiibomb

I don't exactly enjoy the grind for either fuel resources or GMP in MGS V. The game play feels great don't get me wrong, but that one aspect of MGS V causes me to get bored with it and play other things. With Bloodborne I just played Bloodborne until I platinumed it. I'm most likely playing MGS V for a bit when I get home today instead of Demons Souls, but there's a difference between overall fun gameplay mechanics and fun with playing the game. MGS V has better mechanics, but I have more fun with Bloodborne if that makes any kind of sense.

it does make sense, it completely does, yeah, but still I felt there are things about the fun aspect that captivated me in MGSV, I won't devolve this thread to a GOTY commentary, so I will just say that both are great games on their own, with grind on both sides (in bloodborne, because of the repeated deaths, there is a lot of grind too) and many good things on both sides.

I'll continue to play this game and see if this tops what I've seen so far (it seems to be very possible)

Maybe the DLC will jog their memories.

it does make sense, it completely does, yeah, but still I felt there are things about the fun aspect that captivated me in MGSV, I won't devolve this thread to a GOTY commentary, so I will just say that both are great games on their own, with grind on both sides (in bloodborne, because of the repeated deaths, there is a lot of grind too) and many good things on both sides.

I'll continue to play this game and see if this tops what I've seen so far (it seems to be very possible)
Yeah they're both great and a part of me just feels MGS V is tarnished a bit because of constant publisher related shenanigans that should have never happened to begin with. Meanwhile I think Bloodborne was and stayed a labor of love that's still handled with a lot of respect from the publishers.

Only one of them feels like a truly finished game.

BB should win only for that.

I killed Micolash on my SL4 run and did it without him going in to the second (locked) room. I assumed that was just all part of the scripted fight, I didn't know you could fight him in the hallway. I've dealt damage to him in the hallway before but he always just ran away, this time he fought back. It was kind of cool actually.

I killed Micolash on my SL4 run and did it without him going in to the second (locked) room. I assumed that was just all part of the scripted fight, I didn't know you could fight him in the hallway. I've dealt damage to him in the hallway before but he always just ran away, this time he fought back. It was kind of cool actually.
How the hell did that happen? I always just chased him around till he got to the second room. I didn't even know you could fight him in the hallways.

How the hell did that happen? I always just chased him around till he got to the second room. I didn't even know you could fight him in the hallways.
Nor did I, I've hit him a few times and shot him but he always disappears in a puff of smoke reappearing further on. It was after the first part, so he was past half HP, I slashed him a couple of times in the hallway near one of the mirrors but he didn't disappear he busted out the octopus arm spell and the fight was on.

Nor did I, I've hit him a few times and shot him but he always disappears in a puff of smoke reappearing further on. It was after the first part, so he was past half HP, I slashed him a couple of times in the hallway near one of the mirrors but he didn't disappear he busted out the octopus arm spell and the fight was on.
Wow, maybe the game decided to get random at that moment. The bosses do different things at times. Would be nice to not have to drop down that hole and get a call beyond shoved up my ass.

Wow, maybe the game decided to get random at that moment. The bosses do different things at times. Would be nice to not have to drop down that hole and get a call beyond shoved up my ass.

Micholash teleports outside the room and inmediately runs around the room but since the upper door is open he goes running to the second area, I think no one noticed that on their first run.

Jesus this Crow of Cainhurst guy..

Should I just come back when I'm at a higher level and get my weapons at +7/8/9? He won't go anywhere right?

Who? While you dont advanced to Rom, nothing moves

Who? While you dont advanced to Rom, nothing moves
Hunter you fight at the end of Eileens quest in the Grand Cathedral after beating Rom. Drops the 3rd Blood Rapture rune. Really tough.

I just beat him though. Got him to lower his health down with his transformed Chikage then finished him off by trapping him at the entrance of the Grand Cathedral.

Hunter you fight at the end of Eileens quest in the Grand Cathedral after beating Rom. Drops the 3rd Blood Rapture rune. Really tough.

I just beat him though. Got him to lower his health down with his transformed Chikage then finished him off by trapping him at the entrance of the Grand Cathedral.

I did the same strat as you, that pesky hunter and his frame cancel movement, rune is worth it anyway

Micholash teleports outside the room and inmediately runs around the room but since the upper door is open he goes running to the second area, I think no one noticed that on their first run.
He teleports out of the first room when you get him down to half HP right? Then that opens up the second part of the fight where he eventually runs in to the second room where the gate slams behind him and you have to drop down from above.

He never ran in to that second room for me this time - after teleporting from the first room, I chased him for a while and he eventually just fought me in the smoke-filled corridors near one of the mirrors that he can use to teleport through (I didn't see him do that until my NG+ run actually, the fist time I fought him he never used the mirrors at all, I thought they were just for decoration until my second playthrough).

I wouldn't be surprised if it's an aggro thing - I'd hit him several times as he doubled backed on himself in the corridor and shot him a bunch too. I wonder if you do x-amount of damage he just turns on you regardless of where you are.

He teleports out of the first room when you get him down to half HP right? Then that opens up the second part of the fight where he eventually runs in to the second room where the gate slams behind him and you have to drop down from above.

He never ran in to that second room for me this time - after teleporting from the first room, I chased him for a while and he eventually just fought me in the smoke-filled corridors near one of the mirrors that he can use to teleport through (I didn't see him do that until my NG+ run actually, the fist time I fought him he never used the mirrors at all, I thought they were just for decoration until my second playthrough).

I wouldn't be surprised if it's an aggro thing - I'd hit him several times as he doubled backed on himself in the corridor and shot him a bunch too. I wonder if you do x-amount of damage he just turns on you regardless of where you are.
I have never tried shooting him while running after him, I should give that a try. Yep, just finished a round of MGS V...if that game gets a awards over Bloodborne that aren't related to stable frame rate I'm going to be quite pissed since I think I'm hitting that point where I just don't find that game fun anymore.

You reaggro him, I tried that but never agrro him again to fight me.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Right now I have a skill/strength build and Ludwig is my defacto weapons, as it does massive damage.

What advantages would I have with an Arcane or Bloodtinge build?

Right now I have a skill/strength build and Ludwig is my defacto weapons, as it does massive damage.

What advantages would I have with an Arcane or Bloodtinge build?

Arcane unlocks the use of stronger spells and also increase your discovery rate

Bloodtinge increase your pistols damage and unlocks the use of the Chikage to use

wiibomb

So, umm.. i think I hit a wall again.. or something like that.

I'm in a part of Old Yharnam where a guy
shoots from a kind of machine gun
from above me, I get to him but he's quite hard, I mean, a visceral attack does even less damage that it did to
father glascoigne
.. am I suposed to battle this guy now or I need to get something better?

Or do I need to git gud?

Do i need to spoiler this, btw?

So, umm.. i think I hit a wall again.. or something like that.

I'm in a part of Old Yharnam where a guy
shoots from a kind of machine gun
from above me, I get to him but he's quite hard, I mean, a visceral attack does even less damage that it did to
father glascoigne
.. am I suposed to battle this guy now or I need to get something better?

Or do I need to git gud?

Do i need to spoiler this, btw?
You can either knock him off the tower or just ignore him and come back later.
You can actually friend him after beating Darkbeast Paarl and coming back from the lamp that's behind Old Yharnam.

wiibomb

You can either knock him off the tower or just ignore him and come back later.
You can actually friend him after beating Darkbeast Paarl and coming back from the lamp that's behind Old Yharnam.

Oh wow, didn't know that was possible...

I'll... better ignore him.. ha ha.. :(

This Old Yharnam is quite something, a beast just killed me with 3 hits :/

Oh wow, didn't know that was possible...

I'll... better ignore him.. ha ha.. :(

This Old Yharnam is quite something, a beast just killed me with 3 hits :/
Did it have it's head covered? I'm not sure what weapon you're using but I just prefer the crowd control and distance factor of the cane whip for most of that area.

wiibomb

Did it have it's head covered? I'm not sure what weapon you're using but I just prefer the crowd control and distance factor of the cane whip for most of that area.

I'm using exactly that one, may be I have been a little over confident, I need to keep my distance..

The fast one without a hood, I don't really know if I need to spend more time leveling just a little more my character before going further

I'm using exactly that one, may be I have been a little over confident, I need to keep my distance..

The fast one without a hood, I don't really know if I need to spend more time leveling just a little more my character before going further

Have you been upgrading your weapon?

Ratrat

Theres an elevator(cage) in Nightmare of Mensis, before the Micolash fight that descends into black nothingness.
Am I missing something or is this a glitch?

Just learn to how to step in and out of their attack range. I usually tend to circle about at times and step in and out of their attack range to bait an attack. After their attack is done I either step in close for a few hits or hit them with the whip mode from outside their attack radius, it helps a ton. It also helps to upgrade it and pump points into the skill stat with that weapon. If you ever get the Blades of Mercy it pairs up perfectly with the cane, Chikage too if you ever try to go for a skill/bloodtinge build.
Theres an elevator(cage) in Nightmare of Mensis, before the Micolash fight that descends into black nothingness.
Am I missing something or is this a glitch?
You'll know when it's the right time to go down there. Make sure you get the "Make Contact" gesture in Upper Cathedral Ward.

Ratrat

Okay, good to know. Thanks.

The game is awesome so far but it seems really easy to get overleveled. And it feels like it makes a much bigger difference than in DS.

wiibomb

Have you been upgrading your weapon?

after I wrote last comment I found out I could upgrade my weapon and that the blood shards were common, so I did 2 upgrades and it is working wonders now, besides the fact that I got better at killing the guys up to the basement where some
hooded guys were in a kind of ritual
(I wonder why they were there, but I died before going further)

Just learn to how to step in and out of their attack range. I usually tend to circle about at times and step in and out of their attack range to bait an attack. After their attack is done I either step in close for a few hits or hit them with the whip mode from outside their attack radius, it helps a ton. It also helps to upgrade it and pump points into the skill stat with that weapon. If you ever get the Blades of Mercy it pairs up perfectly with the cane, Chikage too if you ever try to go for a skill/bloodtinge build.

yeah I did so, now I'm sucking less..

now that I'm here, just a little more question, I've been playing for not really much time on Old Yharnam, but since the first time I've been playing it has been really difficult to get blood vials.

I know that the more I replay a section the less items I get, but I haven't gotten almost any from them since the start (may be about 10 in about 7 playthroughs), but I got out of Central Yharnam with 46 and even dieing a hell lot more, is there something stopping the drop of the or is it just common that they start dropping less items the further I go in the game?

myco666

anow that I'm here, just a little more question, I've been playing for not really much time on Old Yharnam, but since the first time I've been playing it has been really difficult to get blood vials.

I know that the more I replay a section the less items I get, but I haven't gotten almost any from them since the start (may be about 10 in about 7 playthroughs), but I got out of Central Yharnam with 46 and even dieing a hell lot more, is there something stopping the drop of the or is it just common that they start dropping less items the further I go in the game?

The drop rate on vials goes down yes but you can just go farm them back in Central Yharnam. Also make a habit of buying them. No need to use all echoes on levels since there will be enough by just going through the game and leveling after bosses. Your primary way of healing also should be the regain system so try being aggressive enough to get the health back without using vials.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
since I have 0 silver bullets (these drop rates are killing me in Old Yharnam) then I will switch to a torch, didn't know it had that effect

Only the ones without hoods, mind.

The drop rate on vials goes down yes but you can just go farm them back in Central Yharnam. Also make a habit of buying them. No need to use all echoes on levels since there will be enough by just going through the game and leveling after bosses. Your primary way of healing also should be the regain system so try being aggressive enough to get the health back without using vials.

Thanks for this. I'm having exactly the same problem. I've got more bullets than ISIS but no blood vials.

wiibomb

I was thinking about doing that, but before doing it I wondered if there was something wrong.

thanks I'll start going back for some more blood vials, on a starter guide I saw on youtube the user strongly suggested to not spend blood echoes on items, but rather on levels or something more "permanent," so I'm trying that first

myco666

I was thinking about doing that, but before doing it I wondered if there was something wrong.

thanks I'll start going back for some more blood vials, on a starter guide I saw on youtube the user strongly suggested to not spend blood echoes on items, but rather on levels or something more "permanent," so I'm trying that first

I understand the idea behind "don't buy consumable items" but it works better in Dark Souls since you always will have set amount of Estus. I usually go back to dream everytime I open a shortcut and cash in. If I don't have enough for level I will just use echoes to buy vials and some bullets.

RiggyRob

Your priority should always be something permanent e.g. a weapon or an unlimited use item, but it's fine to buy consumables once you've worked your way down the list and you only have a couple of thousand Blood Echoes left.

I usually spend what's left after upgrade/level up/repair on consumables. I like to be well stocked though, I hate getting to a point in a game where I *need* to farm.

Me too, but once you're stuck on particularly difficult boss or hunter you can burn through a lot of vials and bullets quickly. I like the quickness and large stock of vials but I do prefer the estus system just for knowing that you can die many times over in one place and still have viable healing guaranteed.

wiibomb

yeah, I'll start then using from now and then some blood echoes to buy the blood vials, specially since this currency is so volatile and I seem to lose a lot of it anyway, thanks a lot for your help

Are many of the bosses post Rom able to be visceraled? Trying to determine if I should equip this +20% visceral atk Rune.
They can be, you can't parry all of them though. I usually kept that rune on to one shot enemies and if you plan on going through the chalice dungeons it helps a lot.

Top Bottom