• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Also, I went back to where Eileen was supposed to be so I can do a quest (supposedly), but now she's gone? Can anyone tell me where she might be (without spoilers if possible)?

Well, if you've already entered the Forbidden Woods, it might be too late. She might be in the Cathedral Ward just left of the doorway or the area where you fought Gascoigne. But it sounds like you've cleared Byrgenwerth, so I don't think you can start the quest if you haven't already. However, you can still receive some loot, even though you didn't finish her quest line. You'll just miss out on some gestures. You just have to head to the Grand Cathedral.

I just survived a huge drop in Forbidden Woods without taking any damage at all. I was trying to find an item I'd missed on a cliff edge and looking over the edge I fell off all the way down to where the little blue guys are. First time I did it I barely survived, the second time the drop was further but I slid down on the geometry and landed unscathed, but stuck in the geometry, half inside a tree. I took it as a sign to homebone the hell out of there and forget whatever item it was for now!

I just survived a huge drop in Forbidden Woods without taking any damage at all. I was trying to find an item I'd missed on a cliff edge and looking over the edge I fell off all the way down to where the little blue guys are. First time I did it I barely survived, the second time the drop was further but I slid down on the geometry and landed unscathed, but stuck in the geometry, half inside a tree. I took it as a sign to homebone the hell out of there and forget whatever item it was for now!
Lol, I homeboned out of so many chalice dungeons to avoid Bloodlickers.

Shadows Of Yarnham was a piece of piss on NG+, Almost had it first try but I got sloppy with not healing and relying on regain, but did it second time with not much trouble.

Actually the whole of NG+ so far has been a doddle, I went straight through from the start -> Gasgoine -> Witches Of Hemwick -> Amelia -> looted all Forbidden Woods in one straight run without returning to the Hunter's Dream. I'm hoping a break from the Chalice Dungeons will do me good - I did get kind of down on the game in general at one point because I was so pissed off with the Defiled bullshit.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Did anyone else like me get the platinum without having to brave the Defiled Chalice?

Yes, this can be done by using the Root Chalice.

Shadows Of Yarnham was a piece of piss on NG+, Almost had it first try but I got sloppy with not healing and relying on regain, but did it second time with not much trouble.

Actually the whole of NG+ so far has been a doddle, I went straight through from the start -> Gasgoine -> Witches Of Hemwick -> Amelia -> looted all Forbidden Woods in one straight run without returning to the Hunter's Dream. I'm hoping a break from the Chalice Dungeons will do me good - I did get kind of down on the game in general at one point because I was so pissed off with the Defiled bullshit.
I fought them in NG+ and used one vial, just got most of my health back through either regain or from visceral attacks, I laughed my ass off.
Did anyone else like me get the platinum without having to brave the Defiled Chalice?
How is that even possible?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I fought them in NG+ and used one vial, just got most of my health back through either regain or from visceral attacks, I laughed my ass off.

How is that even possible?

You can use the Short Ritual Root Chalice to get summoned to the Depth 5 dungeon. When you do that you will automatically unlock that dungeon.

You might even get mega lucky and get summoned to fight the queen.

EDIT: It might have been patched out in 1.04.

You can use the Short Ritual Root Chalice to get summoned to the Depth 5 dungeon. When you do that you will automatically unlock that dungeon.

You might even get mega lucky and get summoned to fight the queen.

EDIT: It might have been patched out in 1.04.
Oh ok, I think most here did the chalice grind. I'm one of the few that didn't really complain too much about it.

Celegus

Oh ok, I think most here did the chalice grind. I'm one of the few that didn't really complain too much about it.

I thought it was fun! Sure they got to be a little repetitive, but man that Defiled Chalice was a feat. Did all that at launch, not sure how it's changed since.

AEREC

So I'm on NG++ and finally discovered Cainhurst and its insanely hard. Like I don't have too much trouble with the rest of the game but these creatues outside the castle are fucking me up.

I thought it was fun! Sure they got to be a little repetitive, but man that Defiled Chalice was a feat. Did all that at launch, not sure how it's changed since.
Well you have a Shin Megami Tensei avatar, so I'm sure you find difficult stuff fun. Some people on Gaf just act like they couldn't find any sort of enjoyment out of them.

RiggyRob

Well, if you've already entered the Forbidden Woods, it might be too late. She might be in the Cathedral Ward just left of the doorway or the area where you fought Gascoigne. But it sounds like you've cleared Byrgenwerth, so I don't think you can start the quest if you haven't already. However, you can still receive some loot, even though you didn't finish her quest line. You'll just miss out on some gestures. You just have to head to the Grand Cathedral.

I don't think I've cleared Byrgenwerth, I haven't beaten the Shadows of Yarnham yet if that's what you mean.

The problem is I've sort of taken a meandering path through the game, going from Cathedral Ward > Old Yarnham > Hypogean Gaol > Grand Cathedral > Hemwick Charnel Lane > Forbidden Woods > Nightmare Frontier > back to the Forbidden Woods where the massive snakes are.

It's really fucking me up where to go next in the story, and I'm forgetting to go back and talk to NPCs I've only met once like Eileen and the church guy who gives you information about the Paleblood and so on.

Just for context, it's night time after beating Vicar Amelia, and now that I've opened up the shortcut back to Iosefka's Clinic I know that
killing Iosefka at this point has changed what ending I can get, but I don't know how specifically or what ending(s?) I can get now

Looks like I'll head back to the Tomb of Oedon / Grand Cathedral when I next get a chance.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any way to speed up character movement? Doesn't seem like their is a weight mechanic or anything like ADP. Some of these NPC Hunters move pretty damn fast though.

RiggyRob

Is there any way to speed up character movement? Doesn't seem like their is a weight mechanic or anything like ADP. Some of these NPC Hunters move pretty damn fast though.

Lead Elixir slows you down (and makes you harder to stagger?), but I don't think there's any way to speed up.

Melchiah

Yes, this can be done by using the Root Chalice.

I did at first, as I wanted to face the Queen, and get the Yharnam Stone, before the bypass method was patched out. I thought I'd miss out on them otherwise. Later on it started to bother me that I had skipped the Defiled chalice, so I went through it anyway, and it was a very satisfying experience to beat its bosses. Now I've been trying to clear the Ihyll chalice again, because it started to bother me that I had beaten all its bosses on co-op. I'm still having problems with beating Pthumerian Descendant though.

Some people on Gaf just act like they couldn't find any sort of enjoyment out of them.

Same here. I enjoyed my time with them, and I even did both Hintertombs, and 3-4 root chalices, on top of the mandatory ones. That's during the course of six months though, so I can imagine them getting tiresome if people try to do a marathron run through them.

I also think some people might be annoyed, that they have to go through them to get the platinum trophy, like it's supposed to be a breeze to get one.

I also think some people might be annoyed, that they have to go through them to get the platinum trophy, like it's supposed to be a breeze to get one.
Not that it's meant to be a breeze at all, but I think it's shitty game design overall that in order to get platinum (and I don't give a damn about trophies in any other game series) is to go through endless cut and paste rooms, fighting the exact same enemies and the exact same bosses over and over, and then the defiled BS on top of all that? Like I said a few posts above, that crosses the line from fun challenge to ridiculous challenge to me.

The Chalice Dungeons are an interesting part of the story and lore, and had it been one secret zone where you descend in to the Dungeons and explore and fight all the main exclusive bosses (minus the brainsuckers and pigs etc) - I would've been down for that, but the way it's handled right from the start with the confusing naming and activating them on a limited number of tombstones - it's just overly complicated and the whole thing just gets more and more frustrating.

Melchiah

Not that it's meant to be a breeze at all, but I think it's shitty game design overall that in order to get platinum (and I don't give a damn about trophies in any other game series) is to go through endless cut and paste rooms, fighting the exact same enemies and the exact same bosses over and over, and then the defiled BS on top of all that? Like I said a few posts above, that crosses the line from fun challenge to ridiculous challenge to me.

The Chalice Dungeons are an interesting part of the story and lore, and had it been one secret zone where you descend in to the Dungeons and explore and fight all the main exclusive bosses (minus the brainsuckers and pigs etc) - I would've been down for that, but the way it's handled right from the start with the confusing naming and activating them on a limited number of tombstones - it's just overly complicated and the whole thing just gets more and more frustrating.

I just see that completely differently. Like I said, I enjoyed going through them, and they offered enough variety, and more than enough challenge, for me. I think I fought the same bosses only twice (AB, Keeper, Pthumerian, and UG), outside of the root chalices. I didn't find the way to proceed confusing either.

If you find them tedious, perhaps it's time to take a break and return to them later on. And if you don't enjoy them at all, perhaps there's no point in trying to force yourself to to go through them. They're not like that for all players though, as some of us do enjoy them. I definitely hope there'll be more of them in the epansion, and in the possible sequel.

Facing Logarius with a +3 saw cleaver without leveling strength or skill was tense. Finally have the chikage and evelyn on my BT build in progress. Feels gooood

I mean, it's the only trophy that requires doing anything more challenging than simply beating the game (namely, the Defiled Chalice). In that sense it's already a step up from Dark/Demon's Souls trophies which were all about grinding and praying for drops. I agree the chalice dungeon design was a tad underwhelming but the levels themselves are relatively short, so it's mostly about beating all the bosses. If you're not interested in the extra challenge of fighting those bosses, that just means you're not up for the trophy hunt, which is fine.

Also, activating the various chalices is a bit more obtuse than it needs to be, but you can always just look it up on a wiki to find the most efficient path -- pretty simple once you look it up. I don't feel dirty about using a wiki in this case because it is needlessly complicated and it's not really a gameplay thing, just getting me into the damn level. (I also ended up doing all of them eventually, so you could just do whichever one you have the resources for and haven't done yet, and eventually you'll finish them all.)

I'll also echo what someone else said: Space them out a bit if it's becoming tedious for you. Start a new character and go back and forth between the new game with one character and chalices with the other. Or, yeah, if you're not having fun at all, just drop the whole thing and move on. :)

Hey guys, I picked up blood borne and wanted to give it another go after I traded it earlier this year. I wanted to do a skill arcane build this go around. What are some good leveling tips and what weapons should I go for? I don't want to use ludwig hold blade again because that just made everything feel pretty easy. I plan on playing this when I get off of work today.

neoemonk

Ebrietas has been killing me for two straight days.

Only O&S have killed me this many times across Demon's, Dark I and II, and this game. I thought Manus was tough but this takes the cake. This fight reminds me a lot of Manus to be honest, except I got better at dodging faster in that one.

I've got her down to about 25% a few times, both fighting her from the side and head on. I can't consistently dodge the charge move that she does, which seems to be the difference between a good run and a bad one.

I'm level 53, high skill build. Threaded Cane does the most damage out of all my weapons.

I'm out of blood vials and lightning paper, and it takes almost 10k to purchase the latter. I've had to go grind blood echoes to repair my weapon twice.

I seem to have a harder time baiting the head smash when she goes crazy at 50% health or so.

neoemonk

Have you killed Paarl yet? Once you have, you can buy bolt paper for 1 insight each I believe

I have. I lost about 30 insight to those brain sucker guys unfortunately, but I still have 25 or so. I might have to resort to that.

You absolutely do. At level 53 you should be able to just eat the charge attacks through the whole fight if you can consistently deal with all her other attacks.

This is not a strategy that I have tried yet. I'll have to go grind some echoes to replenish my vial supply but if it means putting this fight behind me I'm all for it.

Defiled Amagdala is down. Praise the sun, praise the moon, praise every fucking orbital body ever. Fuck Defiled. Fuck Amagdala!!

Adding video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW965Rrz8Fk

A short time before this I had just defeated Amygdala in one of the other Chalice Dungeons (not defiled) where it had a lot more HP, so by this point I'd had a lot of practice against it. Where as when I first came across the defiled version, I'd fought it once only in the main game.

Congrats. By far the longest and hardest boss fight in the game for me. A single screw-up can lead to ruin.

EDIT: Well, come to think of it, that dubious honor may belong to Pthumerian Descendant, as I still haven't managed to beat him by myself.
I've only fought lesser versions of the Pthumerian Descendant I think, so I'm not looking forward to the proper version, he's pretty fast.

Melchiah

Defiled Amagdala is down. Praise the sun, praise the moon, praise every fucking orbital body ever. Fuck Defiled. Fuck Amagdala!!

Congrats. By far the longest and hardest boss fight in the game for me. A single screw-up can lead to ruin.

EDIT: Well, come to think of it, that dubious honor may belong to Pthumerian Descendant, as I still haven't managed to beat him by myself.

Adding video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW965Rrz8Fk

A short time before this I had just defeated Amygdala in one of the other Chalice Dungeons (not defiled) where it had a lot more HP, so by this point I'd had a lot of practice against it. Where as when I first came across the defiled version, I'd fought it once only in the main game.

I've only fought lesser versions of the Pthumerian Descendant I think, so I'm not looking forward to the proper version, he's pretty fast.
Nice fight, Pthumerian Descendant goes down pretty decently when you work out the parry timing for him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avu10DSFEXM

Manu

So I'm on NG++ and finally discovered Cainhurst and its insanely hard. Like I don't have too much trouble with the rest of the game but these creatues outside the castle are fucking me up.

The hardest part about Cainhurst is getting in. But you can just run by those creatures.

Melchiah

Nice fight, Pthumerian Descendant goes down pretty decently when you work out the parry timing for him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avu10DSFEXM

I watched few YouTube videos earlier on the week, where the players used Pistol/Evelyn to parry him consecutively, just as he was rising from the preceeding visceral attack. I didn't manage to do it myself though.

Here's an example of the tactic:
https://youtu.be/fT1PYAHpl-M

EDIT:
Then there's the evade tactic:
https://youtu.be/ncW3EHe7fUs
Impressively, (s)he takes no damage at all.

And I've also seen some players using Lead Elixir and Beast Roar effectively.

The Oedon church was merely a setback!!
I mean we got everybody else in there minus Logarius and her I think right? I wouldn't mind fighting an amped up version of her...which I'd probably immediately regret after getting one shot smashed by her. I'm honestly surprised they never gave you two on one fights with certain bosses in there. Could you imagine fighting Blood Starved Beast and Vicar Amelia at the same fucking time?

Pthumerian Descendant - his boomerang blades attack can go straight through the pillars, so I guess other than getting trapped on them when hopping back I guess they don't really have a purpose in this fight! :3

silva1991

Pthumerian Descendant - his boomerang blades attack can go straight through the pillars, so I guess other than getting trapped on them when hopping back I guess they don't really have a purpose in this fight! :3

I like fighting the other one with the magic wand. so awesome to fight and less annoying.

Well your attacks pass through them as well, so you can utilize the pillars as a buffer zone.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Shitty collisions, thanks for nothing A team, what a disappointing terrible game
;)

Shitty collisions, thanks for nothing A team, what a disappointing terrible game
;)

It's a play on the no-shields philosophy of the game.

Miyazaki is telling you that you shouldn't use shields of any form, pillars included. When you think you found a shield, the game is asking you to be active and in movement with that attack. Is teaching you to be a better player and never fall for the shield trap.

Is genius, only Miyazaki's mastermind could have thought of such touch in his design philosophy.

All praise MiyaGod!!
;)

;)

???

a-team.jpg

;)

Last thing you'll see before you die when facing a Fat Roller spoilers

(_I_)

Bloodletting Beast.... vomit.

I've killed this motherfucker twice today already, or his little brothers at least. When will this end?! I need to seriously just play something nice and fuzzy for a while when I've finally done the Chalice Dungeons.

Bloodletting Beast.... vomit.

I've killed this motherfucker twice today already, or his little brothers at least. When will this end?! I need to seriously just play something nice and fuzzy for a while when I've finally done the Chalice Dungeons.
"Let's stuff a giant blood thirsty worm into the neck of this giant blood bullet shooting werewolf and have you fight him in a room the size of a shoe box."

I mean we got everybody else in there minus Logarius and her I think right? I wouldn't mind fighting an amped up version of her...which I'd probably immediately regret after getting one shot smashed by her. I'm honestly surprised they never gave you two on one fights with certain bosses in there. Could you imagine fighting Blood Starved Beast and Vicar Amelia at the same fucking time?

Would be more like Cleric Beast with a bunch of villagers, Logarious with his knights and Vicar with beheaded BSB in a fight to the death.

Would be more like Cleric Beast with a bunch of villagers, Logarious with his knights and Vicar with beheaded BSB in a fight to the death.
I can't imagine fighting Logarius with other things. Once the second phase hit you'd pretty much have to have his knights dead already. Cleric Beast with villagers would be a mobility nightmare cause I can see him rushing in while you're swamped with villagers. What the hell is a headless blood starved beast? Probably has a worm that shoots poisonous missiles at you. Ebrietas with Winter Lanterns, have fun with that shit.

Top Bottom