• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
^^^Congrats!

Only just acquired a PS4 and joined the hunt this week!
TqwmDxA.jpg
Bobio is a burly old man equipped with a Hunter's Axe, a Blunderbuss and a violent past.
I never go for full-on STR builds straight off the bat, so I decided to try with Bloodborne.

Just getting my bearings in Central Yharnam. Have yet to tackle any bosses, but I think I have all the shortcuts unlocked. Got about 8000 echoes saved up. Suppose I should upgrade the axe and level a bit before attempting Cleric Beast and finish exploring.

Let me know if y'all have any tips you care to share!

myco666

Just acquired a PS4 and joined the hunt this week!

Bobio is a burly old man equipped with a Hunter's Axe, a Blunderbuss and a violent past.
I never go for full-on STR builds straight off the bat, so I decided to try with Bloodborne.

Just getting my bearings in Central Yharnam. Have yet to tackle any bosses, but I think I have all the shortcuts unlocked. Got about 8000 echoes saved up. Suppose I should upgrade the axe and level a bit before attempting Cleric Beast and finish exploring.

Let me know if y'all have any tips you care to share!

You don't really need leveling for CB but if you have bunch of echoes why not. Vit is probably the most important stat in the game so you should bump it often especially since weapon scaling starts to matter more on the endgame. One good thing to buy is the Hunter set from the store though you will find one in the Central Yharnam which is also really good set.

Since you are going for Str build check Kirkhammer after you beat CB. It is really good Str weapon.

Also buy Vials so that you don't run out of them so often.

Eclipse is fantastic and really changes the tone of the manga/anime from the Golden Age arc. I should go back reading Berserk and buy rest of the volumes.
You should you'd be surprised what you can tie to Berserk from Souls games. I'm quite sure Plague Babies came from Berserk.

myco666

You should you'd be surprised what you can tie to Berserk from Souls games. I'm quite sure Plague Babies came from Berserk.

I am at book 20 now and it has been great so far. Shame that Miura doesn't release chapters in timely manner. I am afraid that he won't ever finish Berserk. The Plague Baby design is really similiar and seems to be reference to Berserk. Even BB has bunch such as Watchdog and Hunter rune.

I am at book 20 now and it has been great so far. Shame that Miura doesn't release chapters in timely manner. I am afraid that he won't ever finish Berserk. The Plague Baby design is really similiar and seems to be reference to Berserk. Even BB has bunch such as Watchdog and Hunter rune.
Based on what I'm gathering from the Berserk OT Miura is back to releasing stuff. Yeah the Hunter Rune I think is based on Guts' brand right? I have got to see what the Watchdog was based off of since Berserk has some of the craziest demon designs. Only thing Souls is missing is having mouths where a crotch should be, mouths on the front, back, and top of the head and penis tongues. I just finished up to volume 14. Isn't the LHB Guts' sword as well?

myco666

Based on what I'm gathering from the Berserk OT Miura is back to releasing stuff. Yeah the Hunter Rune I think is based on Guts' brand right? I have got to see what the Watchdog was based off of since Berserk has some of the craziest demon designs. Only thing Souls is missing is having mouths where a crotch should be, mouths on the front, back, and top of the head and penis tongues. I just finished up to volume 14. Isn't the LHB Guts' sword as well?

Hunter rune is basically the brand. Yeah Miuras demon design is basically just do a monster and slap a human face somewhere in there. As for the dog it appears first time in volume 15 or something.

I don't think LHB is based of Dragonslayer at all. I find LHB to be just your basic GS with some cool ornaments. Demon's Souls has DBS and it has the same description that Godo gives for Dragonslayer.

Oh god damn, I should really get my Demons Souls character DBS then so I can smash False King Allant in the face with it. I love seeing those parallels though, From should really make a Berserk game.

myco666

Oh god damn, I should really get my Demons Souls character DBS then so I can smash False King Allant in the face with it. I love seeing those parallels though, From should really make a Berserk game.

They really should. Bloodbornes combat is really close what I would assume Berserk game would have.

vladdamad

Yeah, so... Insect/snake stuff tends to freak me out quite a bit (to the point where playing the Fallout games stresses me out loads) and I just got to that part of the Forbidden Woods where
the dude's head explodes Resi 4 style and a bunch of snakes comes out
. I have a feeling this section is going to seriously test me lol

Those enemies genuinely look disgusting, my skin crawls especially when I see the giant
snake clumps with the boils all over them
. It is wonderfully disturbing stuff. I ran pretty much straight through up to what I am assuming is the boss of that area (
Shadows of Yharnam
). Am I missing any shortcuts there or is the lift by the lantern the only one that I need? Seems like a long way to run to retry.

I was also really surprised by the way one of the shortcuts there loops back all the way to the very starting area in Central Yharnam, with a certain intriguing revelation about one of the characters in the clinic. Genius level design.

Yeah, so... Insect/snake stuff tends to freak me out quite a bit (to the point where playing the Fallout games stresses me out loads) and I just got to that part of the Forbidden Woods where

Those enemies genuinely look disgusting, my skin crawls especially when I see the giant
. It is wonderfully disturbing stuff. I ran pretty much straight through up to what I am assuming is the boss of that area (
Shadows of Yharnam
). Am I missing any shortcuts there or is the lift by the lantern the only one that I need? Seems like a long way to run to retry.

I was also really surprised by the way one of the shortcuts there loops back all the way to the very starting area in Central Yharnam, with a certain intriguing revelation about one of the characters in the clinic. Genius level design.

There is another lift shortcut that takes you close to the boss. You get to it when you go up a hill from the swamp area with a pig roaming around.

AEREC

Im guessing the answer to my question is no...but there's not anyway to change hairstyles on my character is there? Sometimes I just feel like rocking some mutton chops but don't want to create a new character.

Also the hair options on this game are a little frustrating since all long hair has clipping issues that detract from the visuals.

RiggyRob

Yeah, from the Forbidden Woods lamp you should be able to go down the lift through the windmill to the right, then cross the bridge to the left and go down another lift in the other windmill, which shortens the boss run a bit.

I missed the lift because I was convinced the swamp with the fireflies had a hidden enemy somewhere (only know it's there because I watched Two Best Friends Play get to that point), but since I beat the
Shadows of Yarnham
in one go I suppose it doesn't matter.

myco666

Shadows of Yharnam

Oh boy if insect stuff freaks you out you are in for a treat.

Level design is fantastic in this game and the loops are really good. You usually have no idea where you are going to end up and then you realize you are back at the beginning.

vladdamad

Managed to find the second shortcut in the woods,
Shadows
boss still destroying me though. I'm fine with phase one, it's when they morph into their second form that the attacks start to get overwhelming, especially the katana guy. His attacks seem to reach halfway across the map, maybe I should try and kill him first in phase one instead of the fireball guy like my last couple of attempts.

Also decided to check out Cainhurst, and man that is a wonderful area. So wonderfully atmospheric, one of my favourite areas in the game by far.

Managed to find the second shortcut in the woods,
Shadows
boss still destroying me though. I'm fine with phase one, it's when they morph into their second form that the attacks start to get overwhelming, especially the katana guy. His attacks seem to reach halfway across the map, maybe I should try and kill him first in phase one instead of the fireball guy like my last couple of attempts.

Also decided to check out Cainhurst, and man that is a wonderful area. So wonderfully atmospheric, one of my favourite areas in the game by far.
Just parry the katana guy and work your way down.

wiibomb

Ok now that I advanced further, I got some nit picky questions since I want to understand more.

I'm sorry if it bothers much, I'm still learning.

1) everytime I repeat central yharnam for blood vial farming (about my third time) i think they started dropping even less vials, will that point stop working for vial farming? Will the hunters dream shop be the only source at one point?

2) I don't know if this ks right, but the enemies in
Yahar'gul Unseen Village
seems to 2 hit KO me, is that really normal or I need to level more? The enemies with bags are literally sucking 90% of my health with 1 hit, but an increased level didn't do much at all.

3) why are there so much dead memories in the hunters dream? Is it possible to die there??

wiibomb

Accidentally ran into my first boss just now.

http://www.nickadamsweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/white-kid-dance-club.gif[IMG]PREY SLAUGHTERED[IMG]http://www.nickadamsweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/white-kid-dance-club.gif[IMG][/SPOILER]

My heart's still racing[/QUOTE]

Congrats!! I got the same feeling when I slayed my first boss, it was something else.

Only Monster Hunter gave me this feeling, there are lots of details from this game that reminds me of MH, even the moveset of weapons.

The Flash

Banned
Congrats!! I got the same feeling when I slayed my first boss, it was something else.

Only Monster Hunter gave me this feeling, there are lots of details from this game that reminds me of MH, even the moveset of weapons.

It's what I love about these games. That clutch moment when you've used your last flask/vial, are down to 25% health, and just when you think it's all over, you get him at the last second. Make's me want to listen to "You're the Best Around" from Karate Kid.

myco666

Ok now that I advanced further, I got some nit picky questions since I want to understand more.

I'm sorry if it bothers much, I'm still learning.

1) everytime I repeat central yharnam for blood vial farming (about my third time) i think they started dropping even less vials, will that point stop working for vial farming? Will the hunters dream shop be the only source at one point?

2) I don't know if this ks right, but the enemies in
Yahar'gul Unseen Village
seems to 2 hit KO me, is that really normal or I need to level more? The enemies with bags are literally sucking 90% of my health with 1 hit, but an increased level didn't do much at all.

3) why are there so much dead memories in the hunters dream? Is it possible to die there??

1) The drop rate shouldn't lower at all. You are probably just having bad luck. The farther you go the amount of echoes you get increases making it much faster to just farm echoes and buy them.

2)
Yahar'gul
is optional area that unlocks really early. Enemies are slow and easy to predict but they hit like a truck. You should probably get your Vit up more so that you can tank atleast one hit. You can just ignore enemies in that area and do suicide runs to get all items. There is one cool armor set, weapon that melts bosses and bunch of materials.

3) People probably use weapons that have a buff that depletes your health if you use it. Hunters Dream is a safe place so don't worry about dying there.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

I've been replaying MH3U lately and I only just recently got into the switch axe, which is very similar to trick weapons in Bloodborne, and I'm loving it. It might just become my favourite melee weapon.

SRTtoZ

Game is still addicting as ever and I finally tonight cleared the Pthumerian Defiled and am working on the Pthumeru Ihyll (just beat the Pthumerian
Descendant
). A couple more floors and ill finally have the Platinum, my first ever (I don't ever care about trophies but this game is something special).

I'm not a Youtuber or anything but ive been adding videos of my kills as ive gone through em. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrfsK46M70SvTI3poZQSX4w/videos (Be aware, you will witness Kirkhammer greatness in these videos)

Guys, my friend trying to play this game, but on his TV it looks like this:
xlHKN29JKNI.jpg

In other games all fine, only bloodborne have this issue. Any way to fix this?

neoemonk

I haven't played Bloodborne since finishing it on Sunday, but I think I'm going to pick up NG+ and go for the platinum. Since the original Dark Souls I've done a blind run, and then go check out wikis and videos and see all of the stuff that I missed. I never found Cainhurst!

I have the Demon's Souls platinum, so I would like the Bloodborne one on my account as well. I played the Dark Souls games on PC.

NinjaBoiX

Hi guys, BB newbie here, just killed Gascoigne (didn't have too much trouble with him or Cleric to be honest) and I have a few questions:

What is the best skill weapon in the game? I'm rocking the cane at the mo, should I just stick with that?

Can I pick up/buy the pistol anywhere? I went for the blunderbuss but kind of wish I picked the pistol because the range is shit.

What is the deal with insight? I have 7 at the minute, is that good?

Any other tips I should know about? I don't care about spoilers.

Thanks!

Edit: also, what is frenzy? How is it activated? What does it affect?

RiggyRob

Hi guys, BB newbie here, just killed Gascoigne (didn't have too much trouble with him or Cleric to be honest) and I have a few questions:

What is the best skill weapon in the game? I'm rocking the cane at the mo, should I just stick with that?

Can I pick up/buy the pistol anywhere? I went for the blunderbuss but kind of wish I picked the pistol because the range is shit.

Thanks!

Cane's the best skill weapon at the start, I think it'll be a while before you find anything better than that.

After Gascoigne you should be able to buy the pistol from the bath messengers next to the doll in the Hunter's Dream, but I prefer the blunderbuss because it's more of a guarantee that you'll be able to parry attacks (the pistol does more damage but has less of a chance to parry IIRC).

Insight's what you use to summon co-op players to beat bosses, and it has some other effects that only become apparent at 15 and 40 Insight.

Frenzy can be caused by a number of things, the main thing to watch out for is if the bar fills up completely, it'll take 80% of your health out in one go.

Thanks!

- Blades of mercy or Burial Blade, the first one you need either complete Elieen (you might found her already) sidequest (which is quite further into the game) or with her death she will drop an item that give you access to buy her weapon on the messenger's shop, so to get it as soon as possible that's the way to get it. Burial Blade requires ending NG on a certain ending, so you should go for Blades of mercy. But the cane is good too, specially as a crowd control weapon.

- The pistol should be avaliable at the messenger's shop in Hunter's dream I think (like all the rest of starting weapons you didn't choose)

- Insight is like humanity in souls games, more or less, you can use it to summon people to your world and there's a secondary messenger's bath in Hunter's Dream that sells items using Insight as currency (for example Gaiscoigne's set is avaliable after you kill him). It also has some secundary minimal effects, (some enemies gain new attacks, the more insight you have, for example) and it reduces frenzy resistance.

- Frenzy is a negative status effect produced by some enemies, it inmendiatly damages the character, killing you unless you have full hp or close to it. Some sets and runes (which you'll unlock later) give you more resistance,insight reduces that resistance but is not really notorious until you stack of lot of it.

- The best tip I can give you is to focus in a few stats, if you are a souls player you should know about this. But just in case. Aside from that, is better to just enjoy the game.

But I prefer the blunderbuss because it's more of a guarantee that you'll be able to parry attacks (the pistol does more damage but has less of a chance to parry IIRC).

But also the pistol fires faster, but easy to miss because is a single bullet unlike the pellet spread of the blunderbuss. Is basically a matter of preference.

Thanks!

The Cane, Blades of Mercy and the scythe are all good skill weapons. You can buy the pistol anytime when you get the saw hunters badge in the sewers I believe. Insight acts as another form of currency at the shop and effects your frenzy resistance. It's bullshit and you don't really have to worry about it till later. The guards carrying crosses at the church well give you frenzy, but they're not too bad once you get good a managing their range. Insight also gives some enemies new attacks at 15. Best tip would be to not send any NPC's to Iosefka's Clinic unless it's that cannibal in forbidden forest.

myco666

Intended to look like shit? The hell developers was thinking? Anyway, thanks for answer

Not really. Your friends TV seems to be bad. My game never looked like that and I almost never notice the CA while playing.

Thanks!

Cane is really good skill weapon. Only one with better scaling is Blades of Mercy but I think the Cane is better.

You should be able to buy Hunter Pistol soon enough if you explore whole Central Yharnam.

You can use insight to buy stuff and it is the currency used for summoning. Then there are some stuff that affects gameplay like
at 15 insight enemies gain new moves and are maybe little bit more aggressive. You start seeing stuff once you hit 40 and 60. Also the higher your insight the lower your Frenzy resist will be.

Then the Frenzy. It is your new favorite status ailment. Once the bar fills up you will lose 70% of your max health. There aren't that many enemies that cause it but you will see them soon enough.

NinjaBoiX

Thanks a lot guys, very helpful!

If the blunderbuss offers a bigger parry window I think I'll stick with that rather than the added range of the pistol.

Might just kill Eileen to get her stuff early. I assume you get extra items for completing her quest line than from simply killing her though?

Thanks a lot guys, very helpful!

If the blunderbuss offers a bigger parry window I think I'll stick with that rather than the added range of the pistol.

Might just kill Eileen to get her stuff early. I assume you get extra items for completing her quest line than from simply killing her though?

Just know the pistol is much faster at firing and better for bosses generally. In PvP it can go either way but people generally don't make that many mistakes and the speed of the pistol helps.

Not sure if the parry window is bigger but the blunderbuss always staggers enemies for a moment even if the parry fails, which is not the case with the pistol (which can parry at a longer distance instead)

NinjaBoiX

Cool, I'll just grab the pistol and use either as and when required now I know their pros and cons. Thanks guys.

Another thing, why is coldblood dew stacked in three separate slots in my inventory? I have 8 currently but they're across three slots (6 then 1 then 1), but they have 1,2 then 3 in brackets next to them, it's wierd...

Sorry for all the questions, just clueing myself up with this stuff! I have 13 insight now, enemies are going to get even more aggressive soon.

NinjaBoiX

Just lost 10,000 echoes in Cathedral Ward, biggest loss yet. I know losing souls/echoes isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things but still, stings!

That's enough for today methinks, I'll play again tomorrow.
The coldblood numbers in brackets indicate their value - the higher the more blood echoes they're worth. It goes from 1 to 12 where 12 is worth 20,000 iirc.
Ah OK, that makes sense.
Cleric Beast defeated. First attempt too. I'm having a lot better of a time with this game than Dark Souls I or II.
It took me two attempts, same with Gascoigne.

It's maybe too early to call but bosses feel easier but the game itself is probably a little harder. It's quite different, a lot faster and more reaction based than souls.

Also, tip for Gascoigne
get the music box from the little girl in Yarnham, you can stagger him with it,
makes him a little easier.

The Flash

Banned
It took me two attempts, same with Gascoigne.

It's maybe too early to call but bosses feel easier but the game itself is probably a little harder. It's quite different, a lot faster and more reaction based than souls.

Also, tip for Gascoigne
get the music box from the little girl in Yarnham, you can stagger him with it,
makes him a little easier.

I actually ran into him first by accident. I had the music box but I didn't have it equipped at the time. I managed to beat him on my first try as well. Definitely not going to let my early successes get to my head. I know there are many more foul beasts and eldritch abominations ahead. We should do a little co-op or pvp sometime since we're both doing our first playthroughs. ID is AgentStrange if you're interested.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
2 days I've spent trying to take down
Logarius
. Mother fucker is relentless! I'm not giving in and summoning. I had the guy a centimetre from death once, I can do it again!

Just lost 10,000 echoes in Cathedral Ward, biggest loss yet. I know losing souls/echoes isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things but still, stings!

That's enough for today methinks, I'll play again tomorrow.

We should hook up, fella.

NinjaBoiX

We should do a little co-op or pvp sometime since we're both doing our first playthroughs. ID is AgentStrange if you're interested.

Cool, sounds like a plan! There is a password system now right? I'll look into it.

Also, The Flash, send me a friend request if you're still on, I might not be back on until tomorrow and might forget ny then!

My handle is the same as it is on here.
Parrying him makes it a lot easier.

edit: It almost felt like it was nearly impossible to beat him without it actually. :p
Yeah man, I never really got the hang of parrying in the other souls games, I'd just block and dodge. But as blocking is no longer an option I now parry and dodge!

"Oh, you want to hit me huh? Nah, sit the fuck down while I rip your heart out!"

Feels good man.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Cool, sounds like a plan! There is a password system now right? I'll look into it.

I believe so. Cool, looking forward to it. :)

Parrying him makes it a lot easier.

edit: It almost felt like it was nearly impossible to beat him without it actually. :p

I've been parrying him but I can't seem to do it consistently, especially in Phase 2. Phase 1 is easy (ish). I VA him when him plonks his staff down at the start of Phase 2 but then I can't keep up with him. The air attacks where he's directly above me really do me in.

wiibomb

1) The drop rate shouldn't lower at all. You are probably just having bad luck. The farther you go the amount of echoes you get increases making it much faster to just farm echoes and buy them.

2)
Yahar'gul
is optional area that unlocks really early. Enemies are slow and easy to predict but they hit like a truck. You should probably get your Vit up more so that you can tank atleast one hit. You can just ignore enemies in that area and do suicide runs to get all items. There is one cool armor set, weapon that melts bosses and bunch of materials.

3) People probably use weapons that have a buff that depletes your health if you use it. Hunters Dream is a safe place so don't worry about dying there.

Thanks

I made some more blood vial runs and they seems to be okay, may be that run didn't turn out well.

Also, that hidden place seems to be the only place I found above Central Ward, I think Gerhman suggested me to go above oedon's chapel, but the door above seems closed.

I've been replaying MH3U lately and I only just recently got into the switch axe, which is very similar to trick weapons in Bloodborne, and I'm loving it. It might just become my favourite melee weapon.

If you ever check MH4U (the superior MH, jk) you will find a new weapon called Charge Blade, which is another "trick weapon" that switches from SnS to Axe mode, it is regarded as one the most complete and complex weapon in the series.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If you ever check MH4U (the superior MH, jk) you will find a new weapon called Charge Blade, which is another "trick weapon" that switches from SnS to Axe mode, it is regarded as one the most complete and complex weapon in the series.
I'd love to play it, but I can't stand playing on handhelds... :(

He can be quite brutal yeah, probably one of the harder bossfights during my playthrough.

It's always nice though if you can get them down to little health, it gives you hope.

2 days I've spent trying to take down
Logarius
. Mother fucker is relentless! I'm not giving in and summoning. I had the guy a centimetre from death once, I can do it again!

I found out by accident that if you shoot him when he is in the air and charges you, you can parry him right before he hits you. So I just stayed back and baited that attack. Make sure to destroy that sword in the ground though!

Here is my video fighting him you can tell I was surprised when i parried him twice.
http://youtu.be/LN_FQy9toww

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
He can be quite brutal yeah, probably one of the harder bossfights during my playthrough.

It's always nice though if you can get them down to little health, it gives you hope.

Yeah, hope. Terrible, awful hope.

I was so close once but ever since then the schmuk has been mashing me like he knows how much I want it. After summoning help for
Vicar Amelia
I'm not relenting again. I'm not.

I found out by accident that if you shoot him when he is in the air and charges you, you can parry him right before he hits you. So I just stayed back and baited that attack. Make sure to destroy that sword in the ground though!

Here is my video fighting him you can tell I was surprised when i parried him twice.
http://youtu.be/LN_FQy9toww

Nice one, man, I'll take a look. I've been parrying but never consistently. Hopefully this'll help me nail the timing.

EDIT: I think I see the problem.

A) I'm massively under-levelled.

B) I'm using BoM.

Not to say I'm giving up, mind. Just gonna have to work that much harder XD

Top Bottom