• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT++++| Now with Trusty Patches

Machine gun dude didn't have any good loot on him did he cause uh he fell to his death...

Quit game and return, his stuff will be waiting for you. I think you get a
badge
... I think... I only killed him once

Yeah, hope. Terrible, awful hope.

Nice one, man, I'll take a look. I've been parrying but never consistently. Hopefully this'll help me nail the timing.

EDIT: I think I see the problem.

A) I'm massively under-levelled.

B) I'm using BoM.

Not to say I'm giving up, mind. Just gonna have to work that much harder XD

Just to note, that fight is NG+. I beat him my first go around at 75-80 something around there. I honestly just figured out the parring thing with the air attack in NG+. In NG I just baited his swings and shot him.

silva1991

I was so close once but ever since then the schmuk has been mashing me like he knows how much I want it. After summoning help for
Vicar Amelia
I'm not relenting again. I'm not.

Nice one, man, I'll take a look. I've been parrying but never consistently. Hopefully this'll help me nail the timing.

B) I'm using BoM.

What is your level? you should be good at level 40-50 against him.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Just to note, that fight is NG+. I beat him my first go around at 75-80 something around there. I honestly just figured out the parring thing with the air attack in NG+. In NG I just baited his swings and shot him.

Ah, okay. Wondered why you were doing so much damage!

What is your level? you should be good at level 40-50 against him.

That sounds about right. Confidence restored!

silva1991

Ah, okay. Wondered why you were doing so much damage!

That sounds about right. Confidence restored!

Come to think of it maybe lower than 50 is bit low. you definitely probably be over lv50

oh and your weapon should be upgraded atleast twice with chunks imo

you can find like 3 or 5 chunks in the castle.

B) I'm using BoM.

BoM is great, and around 50 is about right for this fight.

wiibomb

Godammit!! I've been batling
Vicar Amelia
and this thing just won't go down.. the worst thing is I can't parry its attacks, can they be parried?

AEREC

Godammit!! I've been batling
Vicar Amelia
and this thing just won't go down.. the worst thing is I can't parry its attacks, can they be parried?

Weird...this is one of the easiest bosses for me..even on NG+. Ive only used the Axe and Whip on her though.

Unless you are talking about the chalice version...then I haven't even tried that one yet...is there one?

wiibomb

Weird...this is one of the easiest bosses for me..even on NG+. Ive only used the Axe and Whip on her though.

Unless you are talking about the chalice version...then I haven't even tried that one yet...is there one?

Do you parry it? I think I was relying a lot on that. It has hit me too hard, I know it is just a matter of getting used to its patterns. Last time I run out of blood vials even..

I'll give some thought and battle it soon

AEREC

Do you parry it? I think I was relying a lot on that. It has hit me too hard, I know it is just a matter of getting used to its patterns. Last time I run out of blood vials even..

I'll give some thought and battle it soon

Cant be sure on the parry...I think I just used fire paper and started my combos on her with R2 when I had the chance.

benjammin

I was so close once but ever since then the schmuk has been mashing me like he knows how much I want it. After summoning help for
Vicar Amelia
I'm not relenting again. I'm not.

B) I'm using BoM.

Are you trying to backstab him when he goes into his charging up animation? When you take off about 1/3 of his health then he will stick his sword into the ground and start charging up. You can backstab him when he does this to interrupt his buff and then it makes the fight a cake walk. You'll do some bonus damage, but much more importantly your bullets won't veer off and you'll be able to parry any of his attacks through the second phase of the fight. Bait his melee attacks, dodge back, parry. Just make sure to shoot his sword when he sticks it into the ground and you'll beat him in no time.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Are you trying to backstab him when he goes into his charging up animation? When you take off about 1/3 of his health then he will stick his sword into the ground and start charging up. You can backstab him when he does this to interrupt his buff and then it makes the fight a cake walk. You'll do some bonus damage, but much more importantly your bullets won't veer off and you'll be able to parry any of his attacks through the second phase of the fight. Bait his melee attacks, dodge back, parry. Just make sure to shoot his sword when he sticks it into the ground and you'll beat him in no time.

Yup, been backing stabbing during that power up animation. I just can't seem to stay consistent during the second phase. His aggression throws me right off. Had yet another "almost got him" moment. Flubbed an air parry and got punished for it.

BSB tore me up my first playthrough. But coming back to him he's quite easy. Just learn to parry him (his strike attack has a huge window) and dodge into him and slightly to the left.

wiibomb

Yaaaaay, I finally defeated
Vical Amelia
, to be honest it was just me being too hasty, I needed to keep my distance, at the end I finally defeated with the threaded cane, that whip mode is powerful

EDIT: I having a real blast just sounding the small resonant bell, helping others have been really nice for me, i like that a lot and I've been hoarding insight, started yesterday at about 12 and now I'm at 22

as a first time souls/blood player i really love how all the places are connected and flows one place to another, no teleporting nonsense.

did the original Dark Souls games also do this or was this a first?

The Flash

Banned
I ended up co-oping the Blood-starved Beast. His poison grab was just to much for me. I'd love to say that I beat all the bosses solo but I'd rather beat the game then get too aggravated and quit.

AEREC

as a first time souls/blood player i really love how all the places are connected and flows one place to another, no teleporting nonsense.

did the original Dark Souls games also do this or was this a first?

Dark Souls had a really incredible world design of shortcuts...better than Bloodborne's. Though I still think BB's the better game in every other aspect.

I ended up co-oping the Blood-starved Beast. His poison grab was just to much for me. I'd love to say that I beat all the bosses solo but I'd rather beat the game then get to aggravated and quit.

Same here, I cannot handle BSB on my own on NG+...glad there's always the option of having cooperators...though I feel for anyone wanting to play this in the future when servers are shutdown.

NinjaBoiX

I've not encountered the Blood Starved Beast yet and I'm about to face The Witch of Hemwick. I get the feeling I skipped it...

Also, how cool is Hemwick? It's like Albion as imagined by Guillermo del Toro.

The Flash

Banned
CSIIaRIWcAASS0r.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NP8y63Ms4o&feature=youtu.be&t=55s

myco666

Dark Souls 1 and 2 both do that. Demon's Souls had more of a hub world set-up.

DaS2 has more of a hub word like Demon's. You just start from Majula and go straight line to the end and warp back to Majula.

I've not encountered the Blood Starved Beast yet and I'm about to face The Witch of Hemwick. I get the feeling I skipped it...

If you bought the Hunter Chief Emblem you have probably skipped BSB since you can't get to Hemwick if you don't have HCE or beat BSB.

Hemwick is really cool for sure. Every single area is cool in this game though.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I couldn't bear it anymore. I summoned someone in. Dear lord, I summoned someone in.

That's a pretty accurate description :D

rtcn63

Blood-Starved Beast in the Ailing Loran Chalice
is tough. Got him down to one hit, but didn't get the swing in because of distance. He's one of the few bosses I prefer to use visceral attacks on. But I can't fight for shit without my Ludgwig's two-handed.

vladdamad

Managed to get way further in, past the
Rom Spider
boss (which was excellent imo, seems that the general consensus is that people don't like it for some reason), and while I love the thematic changes in terms of visuals (the game now looks somehow even better, this is some of the best enemy design I have ever seen) I'm really not feeling the level design anymore. The three major areas that I am making progress in at the moment (
Upper Cathedral, Cainhurst Castle, Nightmare Realm
) all look cool, but they kind of feel disconnected from the rest of the map. I am aware of course that they are optional areas (I think?), but it seems like there's less clever shortcuts here than in the rest of the game.

Yahar'Gul
is of course the exception here, it is absolutely wonderful and I love the slight gameplay change (
with the Bell Maidens - couldn't work out why the enemies kept respawning at first so my first impression of the area was a giant, mad dash to the bottom desperately trying to find as many open doors as possible
).

It feels like I am relatively close to the end, excited to see the rest of the bosses and then start up Dark Souls 1 again, and maybe progress further than Capra Demon this time.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
You don't really need leveling for CB but if you have bunch of echoes why not. Vit is probably the most important stat in the game so you should bump it often especially since weapon scaling starts to matter more on the endgame. One good thing to buy is the Hunter set from the store though you will find one in the Central Yharnam which is also really good set.

Since you are going for Str build check Kirkhammer after you beat CB. It is really good Str weapon.

Also buy Vials so that you don't run out of them so often.

Thanks for the tips! I bought Kirkhammer. Will try it out once I pop a few levels into DEX. Gonna buy everything I can in case I keep leveling other stats in NG+. I had also found the Hunter set in the sewers, but now I'm rocking Gascoigne's set. With the axe and blunderbuss it's straight up cosplay... I'm loving it xD

I always grab a few more Vials when I'm done spending on other stuff. Haven't run out yet, but never hurts to be safe for later on. Just unlocked Old Yharnam, but gonna backtrack and see if there's anything I've missed on the way.

wiibomb

Omg... what an AWESOME fight was the
witch of hemwick

This game keeps on delivering, never expected to fight
2 life restoring bosses

Btw, I just got ludwig's holy blade, what does it have so special? I mean, it is as good balanced as the others, but it seems to be everyones favorite endgame weapon

Edit: seems I'm lost after that battle, beneath that boss there is just a
workshop tool

manfestival

what is the best approach for taking out that brain sucking dude? his freaking white cheddar puffs of magic and leech sucking got me all twisted like
burn.gif

myco666

Omg... what an AWESOME fight was the
witch of hemwick

This game keeps on delivering, never expected to fight
2 life restoring bosses

Btw, I just got ludwig's holy blade, what does it have so special? I mean, it is as good balanced as the others, but it seems to be everyones favorite endgame weapon

Edit: seems I'm lost after that battle, beneath that boss there is just a
workshop tool

Yeah that boss is totally optional. Have you beaten VA? If yes the next area you need to go is in Cathedral Ward.
Go to the place where there is two Church Giants (the circular area). There is a doorway to and stairs to the next area.

Ratrat

One thing that disappointed me about the game was that there was no interesting interaction with the environments, besides elevators and levers. Shortcuts were in incredibly predictable places too. I liked the little gimmicks and puzzles in DS2's dlc. I hope DS3 is closer to that in design.

silva1991

I don't know man. I thought the short cuts in BB were great and perfectly placed. DS1 had more interesting shortcuts though like the bridge in Anor Lodo.

wiibomb

Yeah that boss is totally optional. Have you beaten VA? If yes the next area you need to go is in Cathedral Ward.
Go to the place where there is two Church Giants (the circular area). There is a doorway to and stairs to the next area.

Optional??? Really? How sad that some people could have never saw that boss, I loved that battle, the
witch
was like one of the creatures in
Yahar'gul Unseen Village

I think I was there before, but I couldn't open the door, so I suppose I can now after this boss or something? I remember I had to battle
2 hunters around the area I'm remembering, one with the electric weapon and the other one a complete annoyance because it was using the rifle spear

myco666

Optional??? Really? How sad that some people could have never saw that boss, I loved that battle, the
witch
was like one of the creatures in
Yahar'gul Unseen Village

I think I was there before, but I couldn't open the door, so I suppose I can now after this boss or something? I remember I had to battle
2 hunters around the area I'm remembering, one with the electric weapon and the other one a complete annoyance because it was using the rifle spear

I assume most people will still stumble to Hemwick considering it is not hidden area at all. Tool you get from there is very useful though but you can manage even without it just fine.

Not that area. From
Grand Cathedral lamp (VA boss room) go the straight down all the stairs and once you reach the circular area go right.
That is where you should head next.

Fhtagn

One thing that disappointed me about the game was that there was no interesting interaction with the environments, besides elevators and levers. Shortcuts were in incredibly predictable places too. I liked the little gimmicks and puzzles in DS2's dlc. I hope DS3 is closer to that in design.

Same. Among my only complaints about Bloodborne are these:

1. Too often, you get to a new area, find a locked door near the lantern and know "welp, that's the shortcut back!" Nothing as surprising as the undead burg ladder; every short cut is one where you see the end first.

2. Having no fog door for boss battles would be cooler if almost every boss arena wasn't fairly obvious as you approach them. Should have had more open spaces that weren't boss battles just to confuse us.

3. I realize it's a way to differentiate the feel from the Souls games but the way vials refresh only if you go back to the dream and not if you touch a lantern nor when you are victorious in Co-op has a discouraging effect on co-op.

wiibomb

I assume most people will still stumble to Hemwick considering it is not hidden area at all. Tool you get from there is very useful though but you can manage even without it just fine.

Not that area. From
Grand Cathedral lamp (VA boss room) go the straight down all the stairs and once you reach the circular area go right.
That is where you should head next.

oh, I see, thank you, I think I get it now, I'll try tonight when I get home.

Top Bottom